PDA

View Full Version : I know this might be a little Early

v2micca
09-15-2009, 04:53 AM
But has anyone had a chance yet to break down the footage of the Browns game to get an idea of what we may be facing this week and how McDaniels may approach the game?

barryr
09-15-2009, 06:36 AM
I haven't seen any tape, but did a little of that game. The Browns look like a typical team in transition. The Broncos looked more like a team despite having a new coach and system that has played together for some time, while the Browns looked confused a lot on both sides of the ball
. That could change at any time during the season, but that's what it seemed like to me.

DivineLegion
09-15-2009, 11:13 AM
I haven't seen any tape, but did a little of that game. The Browns look like a typical team in transition. The Broncos looked more like a team despite having a new coach and system that has played together for some time, while the Browns looked confused a lot on both sides of the ball
. That could change at any time during the season, but that's what it seemed like to me.

Did you watch our offense? They had about as much rhythm as an 8 year old in a guitar store.

I agree in regards to the defense, but don't forget we have two future hall of famers leading our defense.

cutthemdown
09-15-2009, 11:22 AM
It looked to me from the little I saw that they couldn't protect Quinn that well or pressure the other teams QB.

DBroncos4life
09-15-2009, 11:26 AM
In true Patriot ways, both teams will record each other recording each other. ;D

Bronco Boy
09-15-2009, 11:35 AM
I would suggest waiting until the Broncos play the Browns and review that game tape. That will give you great insight on which is the better team.

Cool Breeze
09-15-2009, 11:56 AM
I hope we can run this week -
The Browns gave up 180 yds. to Peterson Sunday.
The Browns gave up an average of 152 rushing yards per game last year - This is our opportunity!

Popps
09-15-2009, 11:56 AM
They gave up 300 yards of offense... about the same as us, but the difference was, Minnesota capitalized on it.

I think almost 200 of those yards were on the ground, though AP had one freaky, long run.

Overall, they were sort of blown out... but I doubt it was quite as bad as the score indicated. They're struggling on offense, just like us.

Overall, seems like a fairly even match-up going in. I have a gut feeling that our offense will start to come together this weekend, though... and with home crowd and a pumped up defense, this should be a good opportunity to pounce on a struggling offense.

Seems like a potential momentum win if we play mistake-free like we did last weekend.

JCMElway
09-15-2009, 12:07 PM
I would suggest waiting until the Broncos play the Browns and review that game tape. That will give you great insight on which is the better team.

you are teh dumm.

WolfpackGuy
09-15-2009, 12:18 PM
Broncos are adding the tipped pass to the playbook.

PRBronco
09-15-2009, 01:08 PM
I hope our boys on the inside are up to handling Shaun Rogers. The only thing their offense could do against us last year was exploit our **** safeties and linebackers with K2, who do they have at TE now?

ward63
09-15-2009, 01:30 PM
Double Shaun and run it w/Peyton and Knowshon

BroncoBuff
09-15-2009, 01:37 PM
Browns have almost zero chance on the road against this momentum.

Both teams new coaches, and with the line just 3, I can't imagine how we don't cover.

Cool Breeze
09-15-2009, 01:37 PM
<TABLE class=tablehead cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3 sizset="164" sizcache="0"><TBODY sizset="164" sizcache="0"><TR class=evenrow sizset="186" sizcache="0"><TD>82</TD><TD sizset="186" sizcache="0">Steve Heiden (http://www.orangemane.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=1822)</TD><TD>TE</TD><TD>32</TD><TD>6-5</TD><TD>270</TD><TD align=middle>11</TD><TD>South Dakota State</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow sizset="187" sizcache="0"><TD>84</TD><TD sizset="187" sizcache="0">Robert Royal (http://www.orangemane.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=3688)</TD><TD>TE</TD><TD>30</TD><TD>6-4</TD><TD>257</TD><TD align=middle>8</TD><TD>Louisiana State</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow sizset="188" sizcache="0"><TD>86</TD><TD sizset="188" sizcache="0">Martin Rucker (http://www.orangemane.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=11345)</TD><TD>TE</TD><TD>24</TD><TD>6-5</TD><TD>260</TD><TD align=middle>2</TD><TD>Missouri</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

McDman
09-15-2009, 02:03 PM
Browns have almost zero chance on the road against this momentum.

Both teams new coaches, and with the line just 3, I can't imagine how we don't cover.

Well you just lost us the game.

BroncoMan4ever
09-15-2009, 02:22 PM
They gave up 300 yards of offense... about the same as us, but the difference was, Minnesota capitalized on it.

I think almost 200 of those yards were on the ground, though AP had one freaky, long run.

Overall, they were sort of blown out... but I doubt it was quite as bad as the score indicated. They're struggling on offense, just like us.

Overall, seems like a fairly even match-up going in. I have a gut feeling that our offense will start to come together this weekend, though... and with home crowd and a pumped up defense, this should be a good opportunity to pounce on a struggling offense.

Seems like a potential momentum win if we play mistake-free like we did last weekend.

did you see that run by Peterson. came to a complete stop, threw a guy out of his way and then took off down the sidelines, one of the best runs i have ever seen, mix of power, speed, agility near perfection

on topic of the game, i believe that Hillis and Moreno are keys to us dominating. we need to pound the rock early and often and open passing lanes.

Irish Stout
09-15-2009, 02:42 PM
Hey we've got our pics back!!! I just noticed this, but seem to recall them there yesterday too. My powers of observation are stellar.

Have not reviewed Browns tape, but have seen pieces of their game. I think that if we go with a hard hitting running game - i.e. Buckhalter and Hillis. I love Moreno, but sometimes you need a dude who will just pound and pound and get the yards to open up the door for someone like Knowshon. Plus I am cautious of Knowshon still since hes coming off that injury, he just didn't look crisp in Cinci.

maher_tyler
09-15-2009, 03:34 PM
Hey we've got our pics back!!! I just noticed this, but seem to recall them there yesterday too. My powers of observation are stellar.

Have not reviewed Browns tape, but have seen pieces of their game. I think that if we go with a hard hitting running game - i.e. Buckhalter and Hillis. I love Moreno, but sometimes you need a dude who will just pound and pound and get the yards to open up the door for someone like Knowshon. Plus I am cautious of Knowshon still since hes coming off that injury, he just didn't look crisp in Cinci.

I agree...Buckhalter had some pretty good gains. I was hoping to see him get more carries as well as Hillis.

Also, if we don't execute, it's going to be another long game. Guys need to catch the ball. We can't have 4-5 consecutive 3 and outs.

Ambiguous
09-15-2009, 03:38 PM

Just need to make the right mistakes, like throwing into coverage with 30 seconds left in the game while Stokely is open. :giggle:

TotallyScrewed
09-15-2009, 05:06 PM
did you see that run by Peterson. came to a complete stop, threw a guy out of his way and then took off down the sidelines, one of the best runs i have ever seen, mix of power, speed, agility near perfection

on topic of the game, i believe that Hillis and Moreno are keys to us dominating. we need to pound the rock early and often and open passing lanes.

I was going to say that no one should confuse any RB on the Broncos squad with AP...much as I like Hillis, he doesn't have AP skills, and no one knows what/when Moreno will showcase. So don't expect the Broncos to put 200-300 yards rushing...but they have got to try anything that keeps the ball out of Orton's mit.

hades
09-15-2009, 06:42 PM
My best friend from High school, wife and myself are going to the game, 4th or 5th year in a row for the home opener, and we have not lost a game yet when the three of us are there!

broncswin
09-15-2009, 06:44 PM
I think our D and special teams will be huge in this game, I also think we start running the ball outside the tackles a little more.....passing game will still struggle though. Browns had a tough time tackling, but I guess you can't blame them!

broncswin
09-15-2009, 06:45 PM
my best friend from high school, wife and myself are going to the game, 4th or 5th year in a row for the home opener, and we have not lost a game yet when the three of us are there!

knock on wood!! Gett er done

DarkHorse
09-15-2009, 06:48 PM
Double Shaun and run it w/Peyton and Knowshon

He's white and therefore for some mysterious reason is actually blacklisted as a halfback in the nfl.

Ironic eh?

Best back we have on the roster currently although Buckhalter looks very good so far.

DenverBroncosJM
09-15-2009, 07:53 PM
Just need to make the right mistakes, like throwing into coverage with 30 seconds left in the game while Stokely is open. :giggle:

I've watched the replay a couple times, stok doesn't appear to be open the safety etc. Rolled over as soon as the ball left ortons hand

ChSuperStar
09-15-2009, 10:02 PM
browns were very good on special teams... we need to limit there kr and pr yards... otherwise our def will be under constant pressure.

BroncoInSkinland
09-16-2009, 11:42 AM
From Jason J a poster on a website I go to every once in a while for browns info http://thebrownsboard.com/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=6799&view=findpost&p=107930

That's an awful lot for one post. Hell, I have trouble answering "What time is it?" in less than 4 paragraphs. But, I'll give it a shot.

Quarterbacks: In Quinn, the Browns have a well schooled, but inexperienced quarterback. That comes with some pain. He's going to be inconsistent. He'll string together bad throws and bad reads. It just takes some time. That said, I think Quinn playing now probably gives the Browns a better chance to win in 2010. Although, he may be a bit of a liability in the early parts of 2009. And when I say that I mean more so than Derek Anderson.

Had Anderson won the quarterback derby, the Browns might have 1 more win by mid-season. By the end of the season, I'd suspect (barring injury) that Quinn will have surpassed Anderson's somewhat limited ceiling. I believe you've seen the best of Derek Anderson, (about a 6 week period in 2007) and that's not bad. But it's not good enough to build a team around. Even at his peak, he wasn't great. I'm not sure out-dueling Cleo Lemon, Kellen Clemens, and Kyle Boller are the kinds of achievements you put in bold on your resume.

That said this team has to run the ball to be competitive (someone call the cliche police). Jamal Lewis has 2, maybe 3 productive years left in this league. Which is a bit more than most would give him credit for. I'm guessing the last two won't be in Cleveland, but you never know.

James Davis has been encouraging in his learning curve. He presses gaps nicely, creates seams, and picks up blitzes as well as any rookie (which is to say average to below average at best). He seems like a quick study and a hard worker. I think the Browns are going to be happy they have him.

The key here is they have to stay dedicated to the run. They cannot abandon the run regardless of who they play. And Lewis can do that. Davis will help. And I'm interested to see how they use Harrison and Cribbs in the backfield. There's some talent there.

The wide receivers will benefit last by Quinn's getting comfortable on the field. So I don't expect much from them until late in the season, and at that point the local weather is going to hamper how much they can expect to consistently contribute. Quinn works inside out, near to far, however you choose to look at it. Anderson had a lot of success early in his career as a starter by doing just the opposite. Most young quarterbacks try to have the ball in the air for as little time as possible. So, they wait too long to throw, they lean on TE's and backs, throw slants and hitches, you name it. Defenses, in considering that, generally flood the underneath zones with defenders or relentlessly attack the pocket when facing an inexperienced quarterback. Anderson, to his credit, just threw early and threw deep. And that worked great until the defensive Coordinators realized what he was. After the midway point of '07 Anderson saw almost nothing but 2-deep and 4-deep coverages. I only bring that up because Quinn has a real asset on his bench with Derek over there. He can say with authority that when attacking these defenses built to harass a young quarterback you CAN throw over them. And sometimes that's all it takes. Someone who's been there reminding you that you can attack deep. The last thing Quinn wants to do is walk over to the bench and have Derek Anderson tell him that his deep option had man coverage beaten, and he never saw it. That big #3 on the bench is a constant reminder to Quinn that people say he can't throw the deep ball. And I think that works in his favor.

From an offensive line position, I'm a firm believer in leave it alone. Offensive lines only get better by playing together... well by running the ball and playing together. Look at the Giants offensive line. It's one of the best in football. Yet, if they all came up for free agency, only Snee would get top money for his position. Why do you suppose that is? It's because they've basically put out the same 5 guys since 2004. The only change in 5 years has been the left guard 3 seasons ago.

Defense: Ok, here goes. The Browns defense this season is about discipline, gap integrity, fits... Call it what you want, but these guys have to subjugate their own desires and agendas to play this defense. They have to trust they'll be rewarded in the scheme. You have to be able to think to play in this defense. You have to be able to process massive amounts of information... oh and use your instincts. Not everyone has the mental capacity to play defense for Eric Mangini - exeunt Leon Williams, Beau Bell, Shaun Smith, Louis Leonard.

The upside of this defense is a whole lot more quarterback pressure. More non-standard looks up front. And, as time goes by, better and better fits against the run. You saw a glimpse of what this defense can be in the first half of the Vikings game. They'll get better. And as the season goes on, they'll be deeper. By season's end I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. You may not have a 12 sack guy. But you'll have 6 or 7 guys with 5 or more. You're going to see 20 different guys on the field throughout the game. The running games will slow down. And the Browns will be hanging in there with teams against whom they are reputedly over-matched.

So, all told, you've got a team, like most teams, that's going to win 4 and lose 4 just based on personnel and match-ups. It's how they handle the other 8 that make the difference. I'd say they'll probably limp into the bye week at about 3-5 maybe 2-6, go something like 4-4 or 5-3 in the last half, and end up in that 6-10 to 8-8 range. Of course that could be the result of a couple of meaningless wins to close out the year. But I think most Browns fans will take that, if what they see by year's end starts to look like real football.

-jj

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-16-2009, 12:44 PM
I think what concerns me the most about this game is Shaun Rogers going against the interior of our Offensive line. That's not looking like a good matchup for us right now.