PDA

View Full Version : Broncos see Dawkins has plenty of gas left in tank

dragondawg
09-15-2009, 01:51 AM
By Lindsay H. Jones
The Denver Post

Brian Dawkins came barreling through the Bengals' offensive line during the third quarter of the Broncos' 12-7 victory Sunday in Cincinnati, diving toward Carson Palmer.

Dawkins ended up basically doing a handstand, legs high in the air, as the pocket collapsed around Palmer and Broncos linebacker Andra Davis recorded the sack.

So much for the idea Dawkins has lost a step in his 14th NFL season.

Dawkins, a month shy of his 36th birthday, led the Broncos in tackles Sunday with seven solo stops and four assists while playing in base, nickel and goal-line packages.

"That's the problem. I don't know what I'm supposed to feel like at 36," Dawkins said. "I mean, I don't know if there is a certain criteria that you're supposed to check off like, 'Oh, I'm 36, or 35, or 25.' All I know is I have a job to do and I'm still blessed with the ability to be able to do it."

After Josh McDaniels became the Broncos' coach last winter, he watched plenty of film of Dawkins, who was about to become a free agent for the first time in his lengthy career with Philadelphia. The Eagles may not have thought Dawkins was a three-down safety, but McDaniels said the film he saw told a different story. Dawkins' performance in the season opener backed that up.

"The way that that guy runs around the field . . . He saved a bunch of yards yesterday with open-field tackles," McDaniels said. "When you watch him on tape and on the field, he's playing as fast or faster than everybody else."

A safety making open-field tackles? The Broncos' defense hasn't had that since John Lynch retired before the 2008 season.

The biggest success Denver's defense had Sunday against the Bengals, McDaniels said, was limiting the big play, a problem that plagued the 2008 Broncos. Last season, the defense allowed nine touchdowns on plays longer than 25 yards, including five that were more than 45 yards.

Dawkins was crucial to the Broncos eliminating the Bengals' deep throws and long runs. Cincinnati's longest pass completion went for 34 yards and its longest run was 20 yards.

Broncos safety Renaldo Hill said he has noticed Dawkins elevate the play of his teammates.

"It's intense. I mean, every play you know he's going to bring his all and he's going 100 mph, so playing alongside him, you want to match that," Hill said. "If he's going that hard, there's no reason you shouldn't be going that hard. It definitely makes everyone around him better because everyone wants to get up to that level he's playing at."

Defensive coordinator Mike Nolan plays Dawkins as an in-the-box safety against the run, but also trusts him in pass coverage.

"He lined up in a lot of different places, and I think that's to our benefit as much as it is his that we're able to do that, because that's tough on an offense because they have to find that guy all the time," Nolan said.

Dawkins has shed the club cast he wore throughout the preseason to protect a broken bone in his right hand, and he made it through Sunday's game unscathed except for being poked in the eye. Trainers flushed out the eye, and Dawkins quickly returned to the field.

On Monday, Dawkins already was looking forward to the Broncos' home opener against Cleveland this Sunday.

"We've got things to work on," Dawkins said. "We'll enjoy this victory, but we're moving on to the next week. You can never let yourself get too high or too low. I learned to do that over my career."

http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_13337998

atomicbloke
09-15-2009, 03:38 AM
Great read.

Our D needed an emotional leader after the exits of Al Wilson and John Lynch.

BMarsh615
09-15-2009, 03:51 AM
Who woulda thought that bringing in a 35 year old safety would be the best acquisition McDaniels made. I just wish we could keep Dawkins for the next 10 years because he is my favorite player on the team right now. :strong:

Broncos_OTM
09-15-2009, 04:55 AM
love bdawk, how bout petterson and haggan great stuff

broncofan7
09-15-2009, 05:18 AM
MY 2nd favorite team is the Eagles and BDawk was my favorite player on that team--I am ecstatic that I am able to watch him play now in Orange & Blue--he is a BEAST--I loved that tackle around the throat that he put on Brian Leonard on Sunday............

rastaman
09-15-2009, 06:21 AM
All 35 year old players in the NFL play great the first few weeks of the season THEY'RE LEGS are strong during the first 8 games. The telling of their age and the slide of their talent ususally shows up by week 11-16.

Also, once you reach your middle 30's injuries may raise its ugly head and they're harder to comeback from if at all. Even Lynch ran out of gas by late November and was sucking air by December.

Dawkins is human...more than likely he will show his age by November and December. And when he's 36 and 37 (if he's still playing) expect the same scenario.

Father time is a BIATCH!

iDENVER
09-15-2009, 06:25 AM
think he will play next season?

_Oro_
09-15-2009, 06:26 AM
http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/2257448/480/Denver-Broncos-%282009-09-13%29/90704684.jpg?v0
http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/2257425/480/Denver-Broncos-%282009-09-13%29/-B2K8546.jpg?v0
(thanks to Broncosfreak_56 for the pics)

TonyR
09-15-2009, 06:47 AM
All 35 year old players in the NFL play great the first few weeks of the season THEY'RE LEGS are strong during the first 8 games. The telling of their age and the slide of their talent ususally shows up by week 11-16.

Although he got abused a few times in the NFCCG against the Cards, if you followed the Eagles at all last year you'd know that Dawkins played his best ball down the stretch last season. If I'm not mistaken he was the NFC defensive player of the month in December.

55CrushEm
09-15-2009, 06:58 AM
Although he got abused a few times in the NFCCG against the Cards, if you followed the Eagles at all last year you'd know that Dawkins played his best ball down the stretch last season. If I'm not mistaken he was the NFC defensive player of the month in December.

Whoops! I guess rasta flung some more **** at the wall that didn't stick.....Ha!

Popcorn Sutton
09-15-2009, 07:03 AM

Also, once you reach your middle 30's injuries may raise its ugly head and they're harder to comeback from if at all. Even Lynch ran out of gas by late November and was sucking air by December.

Dawkins is human...more than likely he will show his age by November and December. And when he's 36 and 37 (if he's still playing) expect the same scenario.

Father time is a BIATCH!

You just had to stick your negative comment in here. You can't even find something nice to say about Dawkins... really? You must be miserable?

Here, let me try to help you. Dawkins is worth every penny the Broncos are paying him for leadership alone. The attitude he brings to this defense and the way he elevates the play of his teammates is second to none.

BTW, Tony is right. Dawk won NFC player of the month last December.

Smiling Assassin27
09-15-2009, 07:31 AM
that sleeper hold tackle he put on brian leonard was a thing of beauty. man, we sure upgraded at both safety positions this offseason. dawkins looks great in blue and orange.

rastaman
09-15-2009, 07:33 AM
Whoops! I guess rasta flung some more **** at the wall that didn't stick.....Ha!

Whoops! Never know when "Father Time" will rear its ugly head. Lynch's last season with TB was respectable as well. However, it was abundantly clear Lynch's best, consistent and productive years were with the Tampa Bay Bucanneers and not with the Broncos. Same holds true for Brian Dawkins.

gtown
09-15-2009, 07:35 AM
Someone mentioned the word "chokeslam" at work a few days back and I was wondering what it is. Then I saw that pic of Dawkins and Leonhard.

I hope he stays healthy because he might be our best acquisition this year.

rastaman
09-15-2009, 07:38 AM
You just had to stick your negative comment in here. You can't even find something nice to say about Dawkins... really? You must be miserable?

Here, let me try to help you. Dawkins is worth every penny the Broncos are paying him for leadership alone. The attitude he brings to this defense and the way he elevates the play of his teammates is second to none.

Okay Brew....here ya go. Boy am I stoked about Dawkins, screw his age---he's playing lights out! Although by the time the Defense is rebuilt, he'll only be closer to 40 than he is 30, but who cares, he's playing great during week one and thats all I care about. Can't think outside the box b/c I know its TABOO and the myopic Bronco fans will go absolutely ape shiiiit if you do. But in any regard.....GO DAWKINS.

There.....hows that Brew?

rastaman
09-15-2009, 07:42 AM

The Broncos Defense in 2009 ain't the Eagles Defense of 2008. You're comparing apples and oranges in this regard. The fact is and can't be denied is that Dawkins is susceptible to showing his age. He ain't a spring chicken anymore and he happens to be playing one of the physically demanding sport in the world.

KS Bronco
09-15-2009, 08:01 AM
on denverbroncos.com

DAWKINS PROVIDES 'REAL LEADERSHIP'
On the field, Brian Dawkins (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=498&contentID=9682)' value to a football team is undeniable. His speed and tackling ability is on display for the world to see, as it was against the Bengals on Sunday when he led the team with 11 tackles.
But even as big an impact as he is on the field, it might be his leadership on the sideline and in the locker room that truly put him over the top.
"His energy and leadership on the sideline is as good as any player I've ever seen," McDaniels said. "When I'm calling plays on offense, there's not one time where I don't hear him behind me, talking to the defense, talking to the punt team. It doesn't matter who it is, I can hear him."
Brett Kern (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=498&contentID=8675) is a prime example of that leadership taking hold. The second-year punter said he felt pretty good about his performance on Sunday -- he helped pin Cincinnati inside its own 20 twice, but felt he needed to work on his hang time.
After one punt in the third quarter went just 28 yards and the defense had to take over at its own 45-yard line, Kern was disappointed walking off the field.
The defense proceeded to force the Bengals into a three-and-out, including two sacks to pull them out of potential field goal range.
After the series, Dawkins was one of the players to come straight up to Kern and tell him the team has faith in his abilities.
"It definitely makes me feel a lot better that we've got guys like Dawkins and Mario Haggan (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=498&contentID=9318) coming over, telling me they believe in me," Kern said. "It's good to know that your defense has your back."
Kern's next punt sailed 48 yards, and each of his next two boots downed the Bengals inside their own 20.
Dawkins was voted a captain by his teammates, and the effect he has on the entire team shows why.
"It's all positive, it's all the right things and it's not phony," McDaniels said of the safety's pep talks. "It's real leadership and there's tremendous value in it and the things he says."

Popcorn Sutton
09-15-2009, 08:05 AM
Okay Brew....here ya go. Boy am I stoked about Dawkins, screw his age---he's playing lights out! Although by the time the Defense is rebuilt, he'll only be closer to 40 than he is 30, but who cares, he's playing great during week one and thats all I care about. Can't think outside the box b/c I know its TABOO and the myopic Bronco fans will go absolutely ape shiiiit if you do. But in any regard.....GO DAWKINS.

There.....hows that Brew?

Like I said, Brian Dawkins is worth every penny with the attitude and leadership he brings. Is it so hard for you to understand that players like Dawkins are CRITICAL in rebuilding a defense. He is an integral part of the rebuilding process. Think of him like an on field coach. But hey, don't let me stop you from "thinking outside the box." I just don't understand why your "thinking outside the box" always has to equate to negativity.

broncofan7
09-15-2009, 08:08 AM

I cannot wait to see Tony Romo take a big gulp everytime he comes to the LOS against us in week 4 and sees #20 and reflects back upon the beating that Dawkins almost single handedly inflicted upon Dallas in last season's finale......

5 tackles a sack and two forced fumbles!!!

55CrushEm
09-15-2009, 08:12 AM
Like I said, Brian Dawkins is worth every penny with the attitude and leadership he brings. Is it so hard for you to understand that players like Dawkins are CRITICAL in rebuilding a defense. He is an integral part of the rebuilding process. Think of him like an on field coach. But hey, don't let me stop you from "thinking outside the box." I just don't understand why your "thinking outside the box" always has to equate to negativity.

BINGO. I'll bet a lot of people forget that what made the Pats 2001 defense so good, and ultimately led to them beating the Rams in the SB....was the fact that they acquired Brian Cox that offseason. An extremely intense, emotional leader, even though he was well past his prime......

broncofan7
09-15-2009, 08:17 AM
BINGO. I'll bet a lot of people forget that what made the Pats 2001 defense so good, and ultimately led to them beating the Rams in the SB....was the fact that they acquired Brian Cox that offseason. An extremely intense, emotional leader, even though he was well past his prime......

Too bad we don't have a young Tom B @ QB...OR DO WE?!?!?!?!? wahahahaha

Tombstone RJ
09-15-2009, 08:19 AM
Who woulda thought that bringing in a 35 year old safety would be the best acquisition McDaniels made. I just wish we could keep Dawkins for the next 10 years because he is my favorite player on the team right now. :strong:

Shanny brought in Dawkins, not McD.

TonyR
09-15-2009, 08:22 AM
Shanny brought in Dawkins, not McD.

Incorrect.

Tombstone RJ
09-15-2009, 08:24 AM
Incorrect.

Yep, my bad.

Los Broncos
09-15-2009, 08:38 AM
Anyone see him land on his head?

WolfpackGuy
09-15-2009, 08:46 AM
Let's just hope the offense pulls their heads out of their asses and doesn't keep leaving the defense on the field so damn long.
Dawkins age WILL show if that keeps happening.

55CrushEm
09-15-2009, 08:46 AM
Too bad we don't have a young Tom B @ QB...OR DO WE?!?!?!?!? wahahahaha

Ummmm.....who said we DID? I though the discussion was centered around the value of having an emotional, intense leader on the defense?

My bad.......

broncofan7
09-15-2009, 08:49 AM
Ummmm.....who said we DID? I though the discussion was centered around the value of having an emotional, intense leader on the defense?

My bad.......

Tom B-randstater! Someone made the comparison with Dawkins to Bryan Cox and the 2001 pats.........that is the post that I was responding to,,,

SonOfLe-loLang
09-15-2009, 09:02 AM
Agreed that Dawkins' attitude alone raises the play of the defense. Its infectious and he demands quality play and leads by example. This is the reason i was so "Gay for Ray" Lewis and wanted desperately for the broncos to sign him to play along side Dawkins. These guys, while older, are worth every penny for the attitude they bring to a defense.

BroncoMan4ever
09-15-2009, 10:34 AM
Anyone see him land on his head?

landed on his dome and bounced up like it was nothing. i saw him coming down and was like "oh ****, that is not going to end well"

gyldenlove
09-15-2009, 10:41 AM
Isn't this the exact same thing we had with Lynch when he came over? Written off as too old and injured and comes in and performs at a high high level his first year.

I like Dawkins leadership and his energy, that is what we need. Not a retard like Merriman, but a real leader who can point the young guys in the right direction.

Clockwork Orange
09-15-2009, 12:51 PM
I was watching the sports extra on one of the local channels Sunday night and they showed a clip from Dawkins pregame speech to defense. Dude made me want to go hit someone.

55CrushEm
09-15-2009, 01:07 PM
I was watching the sports extra on one of the local channels Sunday night and they showed a clip from Dawkins pregame speech to defense. Dude made me want to go hit someone.

I didn't hear it.....does anyone have a link ???

Popcorn Sutton
09-15-2009, 01:49 PM
I didn't hear it.....does anyone have a link ???

Here you go.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=349&videoID=3463&type=broncosTV&year=&month=

boppool
09-15-2009, 02:31 PM
This dude too has plenty of gas in his tank...

http://planetzman.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/fat-guy-eating-giant-hamburger1.jpg

Los Broncos
09-15-2009, 02:47 PM
landed on his dome and bounced up like it was nothing. i saw him coming down and was like "oh ****, that is not going to end well"

I thought he would gotten hurt on that play, guy is tougher than nails.

baja
09-15-2009, 03:14 PM
on denverbroncos.com

DAWKINS PROVIDES 'REAL LEADERSHIP'
On the field, Brian Dawkins (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=498&contentID=9682)' value to a football team is undeniable. His speed and tackling ability is on display for the world to see, as it was against the Bengals on Sunday when he led the team with 11 tackles.
But even as big an impact as he is on the field, it might be his leadership on the sideline and in the locker room that truly put him over the top.
"His energy and leadership on the sideline is as good as any player I've ever seen," McDaniels said. "When I'm calling plays on offense, there's not one time where I don't hear him behind me, talking to the defense, talking to the punt team. It doesn't matter who it is, I can hear him."
Brett Kern (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=498&contentID=8675) is a prime example of that leadership taking hold. The second-year punter said he felt pretty good about his performance on Sunday -- he helped pin Cincinnati inside its own 20 twice, but felt he needed to work on his hang time.
After one punt in the third quarter went just 28 yards and the defense had to take over at its own 45-yard line, Kern was disappointed walking off the field.
The defense proceeded to force the Bengals into a three-and-out, including two sacks to pull them out of potential field goal range.
After the series, Dawkins was one of the players to come straight up to Kern and tell him the team has faith in his abilities.
"It definitely makes me feel a lot better that we've got guys like Dawkins and Mario Haggan (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=498&contentID=9318) coming over, telling me they believe in me," Kern said. "It's good to know that your defense has your back."
Kern's next punt sailed 48 yards, and each of his next two boots downed the Bengals inside their own 20.
Dawkins was voted a captain by his teammates, and the effect he has on the entire team shows why.
"It's all positive, it's all the right things and it's not phony," McDaniels said of the safety's pep talks. "It's real leadership and there's tremendous value in it and the things he says."

Not only does this say alot about Brian Dawkins it says alot about our coach. He gets the important if not obvious things that make a winning team.

baja
09-15-2009, 03:19 PM
Those of us that are Bronco fans better pray Dawkins does not get injured because he is the most valuable defensive player on the field.

Broncosfreak_56
09-15-2009, 03:20 PM
I thought he would gotten hurt on that play, guy is tougher than nails.

His bones aren't made of adamantium for nothing.:)

TheReverend
09-15-2009, 03:36 PM
Those of us that are Bronco fans better pray Dawkins does not get injured because he is the most valuable defensive player on the field.

Sounds like Haggan's really coming into his own as well.

baja
09-15-2009, 05:14 PM
Sounds like Haggan's really coming into his own as well.

I know alot of people are are saying "but it's just the Bangals", but I thought the D played with more intensity and desire than any game I watched last year which was only about 10 games due to travel.

epicSocialism4tw
09-15-2009, 06:20 PM
http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/2257448/480/Denver-Broncos-%282009-09-13%29/90704684.jpg?v0
http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/2257425/480/Denver-Broncos-%282009-09-13%29/-B2K8546.jpg?v0
(thanks to Broncosfreak_56 for the pics)

Nice.

That was the play that convinced me of what he is capable of providing to this defense.

Lets face it, there isnt a whole lot of talent on the defense. A blue-collar effort guy like Dawkins who finishes plays with tackles that make you say "ouch!" can bring the focus level of everyone up a notch or two.

I have already seen a difference in Champ. This could be a good season for the secondary.

epicSocialism4tw
09-15-2009, 06:23 PM

Taaaaake iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiittt!

Awesome. Dude's bad.

Los Broncos
09-15-2009, 08:26 PM
Dawkins pre game speech gives me goose bumps, this dude will not let us fail.

Malcontent
09-15-2009, 11:06 PM
I was there last year at the NFCCG in AZ and as the Eagles emerged from the tunnel at the start of the game I looked down and was jaw dropped at how freaking crazy #20 was acting..I said to my wife.."That guy is gonna kill someone today" He was the most emotional guy on the field that day all day for both teams!!. He did get beat a few times tho..but I do remember saying I wished Denver had him very much.

ZONA
09-16-2009, 12:21 AM
Most injuries in the NFL don't have anything to do with age, or conditioning really (because most NFL players with exception to some fat linemen or kickers are usually in pretty good shape). Most injuries occur because of circumstance. Player gets twisted or bent wrong or just train wrecked. That has nothing to do with age. And their ability to come back from injury slower? Maybe. But wasn't Rod Woodson the first guy to have a major knee injury at the beginning of the year and come back to play that same year, and that was towards the end of his career, yes? And genetics play a big part. Some people just seem to fight father time better then others. Maybe he's one of them.

I think Dawkins could play another 3 years at a high level.

Popps
09-16-2009, 12:31 AM
"It's intense. I mean, every play you know he's going to bring his all and he's going 100 mph, so playing alongside him, you want to match that," Hill said. "If he's going that hard, there's no reason you shouldn't be going that hard. It definitely makes everyone around him better because everyone wants to get up to that level he's playing at."

Just precisely what a guy like Dawkins brings to a defense. You can't underestimate intangibles. What a great guy to have as we rebuild our defense. Again, I just can't wait for the return of the days when teams hated coming to Denver.

Great read, and we're so lucky to have this dude.

Beantown Bronco
09-16-2009, 06:50 AM

Dawkins better not make a tackle like this against any of the Pats. It's one thing to do it in Cincy, but you can bet the farm if he does it in the Pats game, then there will be a "Brian Dawkins rule" on the books come day one of the offseason.