PDA

View Full Version : Grading McD & Co.

Bronco Yoda
09-14-2009, 01:47 PM
So what's the verdict so far. One game down.

Situational awareness was a mixed bag. Good that they gained those 18 sec. back on the clock at the end. Bad that they didn't call a time if someone would have not there wasn't a punter out there on 4th down!

The offense never really got into a rythm. Too many revolving rb's? Not enough Play action? just poor execution?

Nolan's D was good against a week O-line. Good to see some pressure but why no blitzes on that last drive to give up the score?

Special teams was sloppy. I had hoped for better from the preseason showing.

Too many costly penalties in the second half.

What say you all?

lex
09-14-2009, 01:49 PM
Gerunds

tsiguy96
09-14-2009, 01:52 PM
mcd put this team in a great position to win the game on that final drive, interior oline penalties killed it. we shoulda had the game locked down before the ID.

lex
09-14-2009, 01:53 PM
mcd put this team in a great position to win the game on that final drive, interior oline penalties killed it. we shoulda had the game locked down before the ID.

6 pts?

SonOfLe-loLang
09-14-2009, 01:53 PM
Our special teams were sloppy? I thought they did pretty good

Tombstone RJ
09-14-2009, 01:54 PM
Defense: A
Offense: D
Special Teams: C
Coaching: A

I give coaching credit, especially Nolan's job. It's not like Cincy doesn't have weapons, they do. Carson Palmer is a great QB and the drive at the end of the game shows how good their offense can be.

McD did a good job too, esp. at the end of the game when he questioned the time remaining on the clock and the refs changed the time from 28 seconds to 40 seconds after McD told them how to do their jobs. Kudos to McD. This is why you are the man.

tsiguy96
09-14-2009, 01:55 PM
6 pts?

when it was 6-0 and we were in FG range jackass.

lex
09-14-2009, 01:56 PM
when it was 6-0 and we were in FG range jackass.

OK, 9 pts. Wow! Thats awesome work by the offense.

lex
09-14-2009, 01:57 PM

Yeah, on one of Praters FGs there was a high snap but he drilled it.

tsiguy96
09-14-2009, 01:59 PM

if it takes 9 points to win, whats the problem? do you ALWAYS have something to bitch and moan about? its amazing, how can you truly have fun watching broncos if all you do is cry that they arent doing waht you want them to?

TheDave
09-14-2009, 01:59 PM
Just too damn sloppy of a game for any grades... Yes the defense looked great but they were also bailed out several times by Cinci's dropped passes. On the other hand Cinci was bailed out several times with our offensive drops.

At this point everyone gets an IN-COM-PLETE.

WolfpackGuy
09-14-2009, 02:02 PM
Special teams: B
Coaching: B

Overall: C+

dbfan21
09-14-2009, 02:09 PM
Offense: C-
Defense: B+
Special Teams: A
Coaching: B

Overall: B-

Offense struggled throughout the game. Defense played well except for the last 91-yd drive. Special teams made every FG attempted and did a good job on punt/KO coverage. Play calls on O & D was solid.

I am still stoked (no pun intended..well, maybe a little one) about the win.

Go Broncos!!

Beantown Bronco
09-14-2009, 02:17 PM

Obviously the field goal kicking unit was perfect.
Kickoff team was awesome, with Cincy starting at the 20 or worse.

The bad/sloppy:

The fake punt. Can't let that happen.

Kern has looked better.

And Royal didn't look like Royal on his returns. What was with him returning that kick at the end of the game? Let it go into the EZ, save the 10 seconds or so and start at the 20 instead of falling down around the 12. I understand wanting to make a play, but that was too good a kick to attempt that on.

LetsGoBroncos
09-14-2009, 02:17 PM
I was pleasantly surprised. If I had to pick a unit to look better than the other at this point in time I would pick the D, no questions asked. I have all the confidence in the world that the offense will only get better as the year goes on as they learn the scheme better and McDaniels coaches Orton up. If the D can be good all year (not great) and the offense improves I think we can win 8-10 games which in my opinion would be a good season considering everything that has gone on and the brutal schedule we face.

BroncoBuff
09-14-2009, 02:35 PM

What say you all?

Josh got kinda hosed by the receivers' drops ... nice for him he got bailed out for a win, but they gotta execute better. Can't grade the coach when the players are tripping all over themselves. That said, I wish he would have stopped feeding Marshall, I don't get that, his head wan't in it.

Special teams COVERAGE teams were excellent, but the return teams were average at best. I don't like Royal returning so much, put Alphonso and McKinley back there.

gyldenlove
09-14-2009, 02:39 PM
Defense: B+ (Looked bad on the last drive and if not for a number of Coles drops could have looked worse)
Offense: C- (QB is injured, but the run offense didn't look good either)
Special teams: B- (Prater was near perfect, no long returns, only a shanked punt and Royal's decision to take the ball out of the end zone at the end keeping from getting a small A)
Coaching: B- (Nolan looks like he knows what he is doing defensively, except for the last drive, 6 points for 59 minutes is not enough when your coach is an offensive genious)

fontaine
09-14-2009, 02:39 PM
McDaniels gets a fail:

Because he set the bar high. He hand picked Orton as a QB who can run his offense (over a better draft package from Washington for Campbell). Unless that offense consists of taking sacks and throwing for a few yards net passing for an entire half of football, then McD couldn't gameplan for Orton's strengths and weakenesses. And for a HC who's entire profile was based on that, then it's a pretty telling story.

Nolan gets an outstanding:

Forget the stats,
forget how the defense got no rest after the offense kept going 3 and out with very little time of possession,
forget how playing away from home they kept the other team from scoring more than once,
forget how they got a turnover and sacks.

No forget all that.

All you need to see the improvement from coaching is how they played with a ton of heart. Play after play, I saw a defense that is still learning the different looks, schemes, but above all and defense that played with a huge amount of intensity. Nolan asked his guys to play aggressively and almost instanty made adjustments by throwing complex looks and blitzes when it was clear the zone D was allowing too many short completions.

The zone D is still a work in progress but there's enough raw talent there to switch it up to aggressive, attacking front seven with enough talent in the secondary to support it.

Taco John
09-14-2009, 02:43 PM
Coaching: B-

I think we under-used Buckhalter given the exceptional day he was having. If Moreno isn't delivering it on first and second downs, it seems unwise to keep giving the ball to him when you've got a guy delivering nearly 6 yards a carry ready to go. We can't risk losing games forcing the Moreno issue. He should earn his carries. (and I think he will - I'm just saying, he's a rookie, and if he's not delivering, he's not delivering).

The defense delivered when it mattered consistently, despite that excrutiating drive at the end of the game. Asking your defense to pitch a shutout is irrational. Hopefully the anemic offense we saw this past week is just some execution kinks being worked out.

One thing that I love about this win is the attention that Brandon Stokley is surely getting in the locker room. What a great guy to have as a locker room rally point right now.

lex
09-14-2009, 02:45 PM
Coaching: B-

I think we under-used Buckhalter given the exceptional day he was having. If Moreno isn't delivering it on first and second downs, it seems unwise to keep giving the ball to him when you've got a guy delivering nearly 6 yards a carry ready to go.

The defense delivered when it mattered consistently, despite that excrutiating drive at the end of the game. Asking your defense to pitch a shutout is irrational. Hopefully the anemic offense we saw this past week is just some execution kinks being worked out.

One thing that I love about this win is the attention that Brandon Stokley is surely getting in the locker room. What a great guy to have as a locker room rally point right now.

I dont think Moreno was missing what was there. When he would get the ball there was often clutter...at least from what I saw. There were a couple of his runs that I missed because of lag since I was watching on line.

Taco John
09-14-2009, 02:49 PM
I dont think Moreno was missing what was there. When he would get the ball there was often clutter...at least from what I saw. There were a couple of his runs that I missed because of lag since I was watching on line.

Indeed - but clutter or not, Buckhalter wasn't having any problems moving the ball. That's all I'm saying. Go with the guy whose getting the yards.

Br0nc0Buster
09-14-2009, 02:56 PM
Special Teams: B-
Coaching: C

Nolan did a fantastic job, but McDaniels still has some stuff to learn
Some of his playcalling irritated me a bit, it reminded me of Mike Martz and the Rams in 2003

We are using a new system and the guys are getting used to one another.
Also Marshall isnt where he should be yet and Moreno is knicked up along with Kyle

I will give these guys a few more weeks, but I expect our offense to be much better than this as the season progresses

1998Eternal
09-14-2009, 02:58 PM
Mcd is a solid character his offensive schemes are good just need a quarter-back who can execute them properly along with WR's to run not so sloppy routes.

KevinJames
09-14-2009, 03:00 PM
Indeed - but clutter or not, Buckhalter wasn't having any problems moving the ball. That's all I'm saying. Go with the guy whose getting the yards.

yeah I think Moreno might not be 100% yet so giving Buckhalter more carries wouldn't have been a bad idea especially when he was the hot hand out there.

tsiguy96
09-14-2009, 03:02 PM
yeah I think Moreno might not be 100% yet so giving Buckhalter more carries wouldn't have been a bad idea especially when he was the hot hand out there.

moreno was met in teh backfield many times yesterday. however, he didnt look like the explosion was there, he prolly shoulda been held out til week 2. hillis didnt touch the ball once i dont think, sad.

cutthemdown
09-14-2009, 03:06 PM
Just too damn sloppy of a game for any grades... Yes the defense looked great but they were also bailed out several times by Cinci's dropped passes. On the other hand Cinci was bailed out several times with our offensive drops.

At this point everyone gets an IN-COM-PLETE.

yep!!!!

Cincy did drop some balls just like we did.

Still though when a coach is new, and his system not yet in place, I judge by how hard the players played.

Broncos played hard so I guess the coach has them believing in themselves and the system.

Down the line I will judge the offensive system and his playcalling a little more.

By this time next yr I expect the Broncos to be exectuting and running smooth.

cutthemdown
09-14-2009, 03:07 PM
I think its important to get Moreno carries even if giving it to bucky may be smarter at the time.

Eventually we will be glad Moreno got those carries.

He wasn't limping so IMO he was ready to play.

BroncoBuff
09-14-2009, 03:12 PM
OFFENSE: D ... WAY too many drops, too timid approach
DEFENSE: C ... Great for 3 1/2 quarters, but folded in crunch time
SPEC TEAMS: Coverage=A, Returns=C
COACHING: No fair to grade, all the drops killed any chance to get into rhythm

Taco John
09-14-2009, 03:18 PM
moreno was met in teh backfield many times yesterday. however, he didnt look like the explosion was there, he prolly shoulda been held out til week 2. hillis didnt touch the ball once i dont think, sad.

Hillis got one touch (running) at the end of the third quarter for 2 yards. It was easy to miss because it was right after that 29 yard gain between Orton and Scheffler. They threw it to him a couple of times as well. It appears that his role in this offense is going to be limited.

KevinJames
09-14-2009, 03:32 PM
Offense: D a lot of drops took us out of rhythm, we didn't run the ball enough or consistently, we didn't convert key 3rd downs. No turnovers tho that is always positive. We need to get Moreno on the edge more thats when he can make people miss, I thought he was going to get lose for a big gain before Roy Williams blasted him there.

Defense: B+ played great all game, got sacks got turnovers but missed some tackles that gave up some yards after the catch and outside runs need to be contained better, but we were solid on the inside Ronald Fields and Andra Davis have been pretty impressive, got great pressure from blitzing players and our edge rushers. Let off the gas with the blitzing and the D was a little tired it seemed and they gave up that long TD drive.

Special teams: C Prater was on point, Kern had some decent punts but also shanked one, the return game wasn't really there for us for some reason I would like to see this improved next week, but our coverage was pretty damn good.

Coaching: B- hard to grade the coaching this game but players played hard all game, Nolan called a good game till the final minutes on defense, McD called some plays I felt should have worked, but weren't executed right but he also didn't run it enough IMO. Loved him talking to the refs about the clock also.

Overall: C we got lucky we pulled this one out true, but we also shouldn't have gotten to that point if Orton doesn't take that sack on that drive or if we don't commit stupid penalties on that drive. We deserved to win that game however and I am glad we did. BUT there is so much to improve on especially offense.

Rock Chalk
09-14-2009, 03:32 PM
Defense: A+
Offense: C*
Special Teams: B
Offensive Coaching: C-
Defensive Coaching: A+

*I would give the offense a D but for the fact that play calling and injuries and drops and new system and new QB and offenses being a bit behind the defenses at this time a year all played a part in the funk. If we see this performance by week 5 or so, it will be an F.

Offensive play calling was really just irritating on one play. 3rd and 16 in FG range and we go empty backfield to try to pick up the first down when a run play up the gut still leaves us in position to kick a game icing FG and we dont worry about the miracle after. That and the mysterious departure of Buckhalter from basically midway through the 1st to the end of the second and then the one sighting of him in teh 3rd quarter.

Defensively, we did excellent. 1 long drive given up, 2 medium drives, and 8 short drives. I dont care what anyone says about the last drive, when your defense plays like that you had an excellent day.

houghtam
09-14-2009, 03:36 PM
OFFENSE - D
DEFENSE - A-
SPECIAL TEAMS - B
COACHING - B

Hey look at me!

BroncoBuff
09-14-2009, 03:40 PM
OFFENSE - D
DEFENSE - A-
SPECIAL TEAMS - B
COACHING - B

Hey look at me!

You forgot the BOLD ... see how much better?

houghtam
09-14-2009, 03:43 PM
you forgot the bold ... See how much better?

thanks

Wes Mantooth
09-14-2009, 04:22 PM

6-0 when our QB had stiches on his throwing index finger. No turn-overs and didn't put team in a bad spot.

You are an idiot.

barryr
09-14-2009, 04:30 PM
The penalties were a big problem. Hamilton himself cost the team a 1st down late in the 4th, a screen pass to Buckhalter that got the ball to like the Cincy 28 I think it was and a 1st down. But Hamilton called for holding and then also false started. The Broncos likely get at least a field goal and go up 9-0 and Cincy's only score doesn't do much.

The Broncos didn't always score 20+ points with Cutler and or Shanahan, so some people need to find some reality soon.

lex
09-14-2009, 08:09 PM
6-0 when our QB had stiches on his throwing index finger. No turn-overs and didn't put team in a bad spot.

You are an idiot.

If his hand was an issue, he shouldnt have been playing. I hate to tell you this but its not like things were going well for him in the preseason even before the injury and thats even going against the opposing 2nd team sometimes.

beanerbronco
09-14-2009, 08:34 PM
I was actually surprised by the number of screens we threw, considering we threw a whole bunch of them during the pre-season. I think that Marshall's presence might've changed the gameplan a bit.

O- D+ Really didnt do much at all, didn't stablish the running game, dropped many catchable soft balls and way too many penalties.

D- B+ Good pressure throughout MOST of the game, played with heart but they were all going for a big hit when they should have been wrapping up.

ST- A- Good coverage, not so great returns.

Coaching:

O- C Not very impressive play calling, I would even call it dull and not very aggressive. Very basic and never caught the Bengals off guard. I dont think I saw one play that stood out bc of its creativity.

D- SOLID B The designed blitzes were good most of the time, they seemed to work whenever we blitzed. If it weren't for the last drive, I'd hand out an "a". Nolan really knows how to put together a defensive plan.

We got a lot work to do but I am extremely happy with what I am seeing. It looks like the players like McD and have bought into what he is trying to do. I just hope we can execute and keep playing with heart!

atomicbloke
09-14-2009, 09:29 PM
McDaniels gets a fail:

Because he set the bar high. He hand picked Orton as a QB who can run his offense (over a better draft package from Washington for Campbell). Unless that offense consists of taking sacks and throwing for a few yards net passing for an entire half of football, then McD couldn't gameplan for Orton's strengths and weakenesses. And for a HC who's entire profile was based on that, then it's a pretty telling story.

Nolan gets an outstanding:

Forget the stats,
forget how the defense got no rest after the offense kept going 3 and out with very little time of possession,
forget how playing away from home they kept the other team from scoring more than once,
forget how they got a turnover and sacks.

No forget all that.

All you need to see the improvement from coaching is how they played with a ton of heart. Play after play, I saw a defense that is still learning the different looks, schemes, but above all and defense that played with a huge amount of intensity. Nolan asked his guys to play aggressively and almost instanty made adjustments by throwing complex looks and blitzes when it was clear the zone D was allowing too many short completions.

The zone D is still a work in progress but there's enough raw talent there to switch it up to aggressive, attacking front seven with enough talent in the secondary to support it.

This.

For all his offensive genius reputation, his offensive talent evaluation is yet to manifest.

Picking Orton, thereby turning down better draft picks from the Skins.

Not utilizing Hillis' potential.

That said, he shows intensity and heart. The players seem to play for him. Not seen that in Denver for a long time.

Also, a few little things. Notice when Stokes scored, the entire team was celebrating like nuts in the end zone. But McD was trying to get the official's attention to call a timeout, since the play clock would have expired, thereby driving the Broncos too far for a 2-point attempt. This along with other incidents show that he has good situational awareness.

Wes Mantooth
09-14-2009, 10:01 PM
If his hand was an issue, he shouldnt have been playing. I hate to tell you this but its not like things were going well for him in the preseason even before the injury and thats even going against the opposing 2nd team sometimes.

Really? The preseason I watched looked like pretty good minus a couple of bonehead plays.

Lex, I am excited that we have a quarterback that can avoid turning over the ball and win us a football game even when he is hurt. Brandstarter may be better at some point, but he is a rookie and needs time. Chris Simms is a servicable backup, but has been out of the league for what 3 years?

I would rather have a WINNING NFL QUARTERBACK playing at 75% than other options.

In addition, consider the other two factors:

-GAME 1. Just about 80% of all NFL teams suck week 1.
-New coaches and philosophy
-New players
-Marshall being gone and not able to catch the ball most of the game hurt the team.

Hulamau
09-14-2009, 10:44 PM
Josh got kinda hosed by the receivers' drops ... nice for him he got bailed out for a win, but they gotta execute better. Can't grade the coach when the players are tripping all over themselves. That said, I wish he would have stopped feeding Marshall, I don't get that, his head wan't in it.

Special teams COVERAGE teams were excellent, but the return teams were average at best. I don't like Royal returning so much, put Alphonso and McKinley back there.

Good points BB

Steve Sewell
09-14-2009, 10:54 PM
All i know is that i hate that macdaneils guy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I dont know why but i think hes the stupidest evar

is there a grade for that?

watermock
09-14-2009, 11:20 PM
What we underused was Hillis.

He dropped one poor pass and was never run ONCE.

D: A-
O: F
ST: B
Coaching:D-

Continuing to run Moreno on a bad MCL is moronic. At this rate he will be hurt all year, and he's not fast to start with.

Bronco Yoda
09-14-2009, 11:35 PM
That 4th down fake punt still bothers me. You're telling me NO ONE recognized that the punter wasn't out there. No one thought to call time out on or off the field. That's a huge situational blunder and something I would think McD would be more mindful of considering that's one of Bellecheats major emphasis.

There were a couple of challenges that should have been made in preseason as well. You can tell the whole communication thing is still a work in progress.

This team and coaching staff really needed this one after what's gone down so far. I didn't expect us to win this one. Many of the talking heads are now saying this could really launch our season in a good direction. I have to agree.

Cito Pelon
09-15-2009, 01:18 AM

Situational awareness was a mixed bag. Good that they gained those 18 sec. back on the clock at the end. Bad that they didn't call a time if someone would have not there wasn't a punter out there on 4th down!

The offense never really got into a rythm. Too many revolving rb's? Not enough Play action? just poor execution?

Nolan's D was good against a week O-line. Good to see some pressure but why no blitzes on that last drive to give up the score?

Special teams was sloppy. I had hoped for better from the preseason showing.

Too many costly penalties in the second half.

What say you all?

There's certainly a lot of work left to do. I like some of the rookies like Phonz, McBath, McKinley. The interior DL is stout against the run. The LB's and safeties are quick and swarm, good tacklers, good open field tacklers.

The O is not clicking, obviously.

The ST's are looking OK.

The O has to get clicking, they're the weak point on the team right now. But, it's only game one so I have heart that they'll get going some now Marshall is back in the fold.

BroncoBuff
09-15-2009, 01:19 AM
Good points BB

Thanks, I needed that ;D

Cito Pelon
09-15-2009, 02:08 AM
yep!!!!

Cincy did drop some balls just like we did.

Still though when a coach is new, and his system not yet in place, I judge by how hard the players played.

Broncos played hard so I guess the coach has them believing in themselves and the system.

Down the line I will judge the offensive system and his playcalling a little more.

By this time next yr I expect the Broncos to be exectuting and running smooth.

This is true.

BroncoBuff
09-15-2009, 02:11 AM
That 4th down fake punt still bothers me. You're telling me NO ONE recognized that the punter wasn't out there. No one thought to call time out on or off the field. That's a huge situational blunder and something I would think McD would be more mindful of considering that's one of Bellecheats major emphasis.

That's true, it's part of why I separate special teams grades between coverage and return teams.

Cover teams were excellent, but return teams (partly based on your example), were decidedly below average :nono:

Cito Pelon
09-15-2009, 02:36 AM
Thanks, I needed that ;D

Yah, the way you've been going being a dick and so forth, you need all the support you can get.

BroncoBuff
09-15-2009, 03:08 AM
Yah, the way you've been going being a dick and so forth, you need all the support you can get.

How very dickish of you ;D

Man-Goblin
09-15-2009, 06:36 AM
One thing really bothered me, and I think it showed McD's inexperience. After the back to back penalties on the Broncos second to last drive, the Broncos still had a 3rd and 16 at the 35 with 7:03 to go. The only two things you can't do there is throw a pick or get sacked. You have GOT to run the ball there to give yourself a legit chance at going up two scores, especially with how Prater was drilling it. The sack is what killed them there, not the penalties. Hopefully, McDaniels will learn from it.

As for the offense in general, hopefully it will develop in a similar fashion to how the Patriots offense evolved under Cassel last year. It started out really slow, but improved each week to the point that they were clicking by the end of the year. It will be interesting to watch.

cmhargrove
09-15-2009, 07:12 AM
One thing really bothered me, and I think it showed McD's inexperience. After the back to back penalties on the Broncos second to last drive, the Broncos still had a 3rd and 16 at the 35 with 7:03 to go. The only two things you can't do there is throw a pick or get sacked. You have GOT to run the ball there to give yourself a legit chance at going up two scores, especially with how Prater was drilling it. The sack is what killed them there, not the penalties. Hopefully, McDaniels will learn from it.

As for the offense in general, hopefully it will develop in a similar fashion to how the Patriots offense evolved under Cassel last year. It started out really slow, but improved each week to the point that they were clicking by the end of the year. It will be interesting to watch.

Just remember, McD calls the plays, the players commmit penalties or drop blocks.

McD callled the pass to Graham that would have put us in easy scoring position - it's not McD's fault that there was offensive holding. I don't know that lots of teams will choose to run it on 3rd and 16, but you have a good point. The read was probably pick up a few yards or throw it away, but it's not Orton's job to block. The pass blocking broke down, that's not necessarily the coaches fault either.

The entire team will learn, but I don't think McD's coaching looked "inexperienced." If anything, I think we will still see a new team growing into a new system. The coaching on both sides of the ball looks very sound. We will only get better when our star receivers start catching difficult passes (and we get Kuper back).

Beantown Bronco
09-15-2009, 07:20 AM
I don't know that lots of teams will choose to run it on 3rd and 16, but you have a good point. The read was probably pick up a few yards or throw it away, but it's not Orton's job to block. The pass blocking broke down, that's not necessarily the coaches fault either.

Considering all they practiced and ran during the pre-season were screen passes, I'm shocked they didn't run one there. Seemed like a slam dunk call to me, considering Cincy obviously had to bring extra pressure to try to push them out of field goal range. Could've been a real dagger.

kamakazi_kal
09-15-2009, 09:33 AM

Wrong ..... Orton taking that sack almost killed it .... Kick that FG and it's over.

boppool
09-15-2009, 09:59 AM
QB: D
RB: C+
WR: C
OL: B-
DL: B+
LB: A-
DB: A-
Special Team: B
Coaching: D

Br0nc0Buster
09-15-2009, 10:16 AM
Just remember, McD calls the plays, the players commmit penalties or drop blocks.

McD callled the pass to Graham that would have put us in easy scoring position - it's not McD's fault that there was offensive holding. I don't know that lots of teams will choose to run it on 3rd and 16, but you have a good point. The read was probably pick up a few yards or throw it away, but it's not Orton's job to block. The pass blocking broke down, that's not necessarily the coaches fault either.

The entire team will learn, but I don't think McD's coaching looked "inexperienced." If anything, I think we will still see a new team growing into a new system. The coaching on both sides of the ball looks very sound. We will only get better when our star receivers start catching difficult passes (and we get Kuper back).

I think Josh blew that one
Cinci had been blitzing all game long on third down
why even risk taking a sack when it isnt necessary?

Run a screen, take your yards and kick the field goal

I know Orton got blamed, but Josh put him in a bad position

gyldenlove
09-15-2009, 10:23 AM

I actually liked the idea, I hated the execution, but I liked the idea.

If your enemy knows where you are, don't be there. The same is true in football, if your opponent knows what you are going to do, don't do it.

On a play like that, barring really poor execution which you can never guard against it could have been a fumble or a poor exchange on the run play as well, you have to take that shot, if you get something you get an easier field goal or a new set of downs because the defense will be expecting the run or you will get an incomplete pass and then you kick the field goal. Worst case on the pass is no worse than the worst on the run and the best case is much better, gaming theory says you throw the ball.

Bronco Yoda
09-21-2009, 02:27 AM
2-0 Baby!!!!!

Interesting stat I noticed... Brandon Stokley is #2 in the NFL for Yards Per Catch after 2 weeks (6 catches for 157yrds = 26.2 avg.

Bronco Rob
09-21-2009, 02:44 AM
The only GRADE is A...

unless you are a idiot....

He's done more with less than you could ever do..

I can't believe this is a topic....

get with the program...

;)