PDA

View Full Version : How do I make the leap to Homerism?

broncosteven
09-14-2009, 11:59 AM
So I have been a diehard Bronco fan since mid 72 but I always say '73 was my 1st full season as a fan.

The problem is I have never been a hardcore "GOOOO BRONCOS! WOOOOOHOOOO" everything is rosy hardcore HOMER before.

Can you Homers tell me how to overcome any doubt and root my Broncos on to victory every week regardless of the facts?

I want my glass to be half full instead of half empty all the time like the other Homers!

How does one convert from pessimistic reality to full on Homerism?

I know it is long some of you will forget what you are doing, turn your "flesh light" back on or go back to work because it is too hard to read all of this, but here is what you are dealing with:

I remember watching a game at Oakland in 1974, we needed at least a tie to win the division, it was the end of the game and Jim Turner needed to make an impossible kick at the edge of his range but I had a feeling, it was in the pit of my stomach, and creeped across my body like a shadow. I sat holding the VHF knob trying to tune the signal so I could see through the snow on the set. I knew it was a hopeless cause and the even thought it was an exciting year, it hung on a kick that we all knew was not going through the uprights. The snap was perfect, the hold was good, just as snow filled the screen and I grabbed the rabbit ears reaching them in time to see the kick sailed, NO GOOD.

Fast Forward to Jan 1978. BRONCOS Beat Steelers and Raiders to advance to SB. After the 1st Morten INT I get this same feeling, a feeling of dread mixed with pain. A feeling of impossiblities. No way my beloved Broncos can beat Dallas! Help, I am stuck stranded between two worlds, one is my love for the Broncos, and the other the realization as the 3rd INT occurs that this game is lost, to top it off and kill all hope Butch Johnson makes an impossible unbelieveable catch to put the game out of reach. Last thing I remember is a few Bronco fans chanting we love you Broncos!

I get a puzzle for X-mas of Morten about to throw an INT while Too Tall and Hollywood are about to fall to earth on top of Craig. Broncos will never win a SB, I am convinced.

1981, my 1st football game ever! Denver vs Bears, My Beloved Broncos need to win to make the playoffs. Bears are terrible and playing for nothing, Broncos are MY TEAM! WOOOOO GO BRONCOS! I think this is the year, with Watson, Morten, DeBerg, Upchurch, and the remnants of the Orange Crush D I am in full homer mode during the game. Bear fans taunt me but chalk it up to youth and don't throw beer on me and my family. After they start leaving in the early 4th quarter when the Bears have the game well out of reach and all playoff hopes for the Broncos are doomed they make me eat some crow. I won't leave the stands until it over, there has to be an Impossible comeback that I am afraid to miss.

Then there are the 80's SB's, By the 2nd quarter of all of them the feeling is there, no way my team wins.

1996, vs Jags - a speed bump on the way to glory right? Nope, at the half it is clear we are in trouble and doubt, he has a name now, creeps back in.

The next year, I get the feeling when TD goes out in the 2nd quarter of the SB but it disappears with his return. Funny how talent executing eliminates my friend doubt. No doubt at all in 1998 and I thought, this is what it is like to be a true homer, never doubting your team will win!

Alas doubt returns with the dawn of the new century.

Fast forward to 2009, team in turmoil, new 1st time HC, new QB, new DC, new D scheme, injured QB. Doubt returns but there are fans that know we will win. How is this I think and post. What am I missing? I read about 12-4, 11-5, 13-3 predictions, Broncos will win their 1st 4 games on route to winning the division. I think this is impossible, reality is a harsh mistress I think to myself. These Homers will be taught the pain of doubt and it will crush their will like it had crushed mine.

Yet through 3 quarters the New Broncos are winning! Homers post that they are enjoying winning ugly, I decide I like winning too, winning is fun and I want to shove it in the faces of Bears fans I live amongst so I am trying my best at believing that the Broncos will win the game.

Yet again Doubt enters the picture, with 5 minutes to go and 90 yards away I get this feeling that the Bungles will drive the ball the length of the field and with the Broncos blowing 2 TO's early there will be little if no time left to mount a game winning FG attempt. I feel all is lost and watch as the Bungles mount a 90 yard TD drive to take the lead with 38 seconds and 1 TO left.

All is lost I think as Orton throws a near INT on the sidelines.

All is lost as I watch a 56 yard pass fall short of Marshall into the...wait...OFF the hands of a Bungle and....into the hands of Stokely! WOOO GOOO BRONCOS!! WOOOO GOOOOO YOU LITTLE ! TOUCHDOWN WOOO HOOO!

I watch the mane in confused wonderment as Homers post about noticing how hard Stokely was playing and that he wanted to win so bad. All I saw was a defense sitting back and not rushing the passer on the 90 yard drive, an offense that gave up 3 holding calls and to add insult to injury a QB that took a sack out of FG range. I didn't see the light, I doubted that we could win.

I don't want to doubt anymore, it was so fun to win improbably, I want to woof with the rest of the Homers and shoot down those mired in reality. Those that look at facts and see insurmountable obstacles blocking Bronco wins, I want to feel that my team will win any game in any situation doubt free. And if they lose oh well, we will get them next week!

How does one convert to Homerism? I want flights of Unicorns from UnicornHappyLand to carry me to victory every week leaving Bears fans to languish week to week in the pool of doubt.

DomCasual
09-14-2009, 12:05 PM
I guess I am a bit of a realistic homer. I hope for the best, every week. And in my heart of hearts (never understood what that cliche meant, but I'll use it anyway), I always think they're going to get it done.

Just when I am about to become jaded, something like the 1997 Broncos (just after what seemed like a demoralizing loss to the 49ers) or 2007 Rockies happens.

Eldorado
09-14-2009, 12:06 PM
Drink a gallon of unicorn sperm.

Eldorado
09-14-2009, 12:07 PM
It won't help you any, but it'll make me laugh.

tsiguy96
09-14-2009, 12:07 PM
easy, stop crying and worrying about **** you cant control and try and enjoy the offseason and the games. if it doesnt work, theres always next year.

TheDave
09-14-2009, 12:08 PM

This

broncosteven
09-14-2009, 12:09 PM
I guess I am a bit of a realistic homer. I hope for the best, every week. And in my heart of hearts (never understood what that cliche meant, but I'll use it anyway), I always think they're going to get it done.

Just when I am about to become jaded, something like the 1997 Broncos (just after what seemed like a demoralizing loss to the 49ers) or 2007 Rockies happens.

I need the insight as to how to banish any negative thoughts from my mind. I am tired of being attached to the "real world" reality sucks, Supernatural wins rock!

I was wrong thinking this was a rebuilding year.

I have seen the light, I just want Homers to tell me how to go toward the light.

broncosteven
09-14-2009, 12:10 PM

You got any left that I can have?

WolfpackGuy
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_scfe5YzN958/SFzJFh6GpSI/AAAAAAAAApE/SbB3DjoDDRA/s400/Bluto.jpg

"I suggest you drink heavily."

crush17
long post is long.

broncosteven
09-14-2009, 12:11 PM
easy, stop crying and worrying about **** you cant control and try and enjoy the offseason and the games. if it doesnt work, theres always next year.

I am 42, the older you get the more you realize there is not always a next year.

Miss I.
After the Unicorn sperm drinking, try these to help you out as well:

http://www.figarospeech.com/homerisms/

TheDave
I need the insight as to how to banish any negative thoughts from my mind. I am tired of being attached to the "real world" reality sucks, Supernatural wins rock!

I was wrong thinking this was a rebuilding year.

I have seen the light, I just want Homers to tell me how to go toward the light.

JMO... But I would stay with the Unicorn Jizz.

broncosteven
09-14-2009, 12:12 PM
long post is long.

Did you turn your Flesh Light back on or did you just log off the mane and go back to mopping?

Eldorado
You got any left that I can have?

Nice comback stevie!

:ruffleshair:

tsiguy96
I am 42, the older you get the more you realize there is not always a next year.

sure there is. theres ALWAYS next year. statistically you got like 36 years left, youll be fine. try to have fun and enjoy the team instead of causing unnecessary stress by bitching and moaning that the team isnt being run the way YOU want it to. pretty simple actually.

BroncoInSkinland
09-14-2009, 12:13 PM
1. Don't think more than one game in advance.
2. Isolate any percieved weakness in the opposing team in the upcoming game.
3. Visualize a Bronco exploiting this weakness.
4. If any doubt enters your mind, think of Spider in a gold thong, this should through Pavlovian training eventually kill any doubt. You may want to keep a bottle of Everclear handy to wash the mental image from your retinas though.

Garcia Bronco
09-14-2009, 12:14 PM
I do not like or use the word homer. It's retarded. As if believing in your people is some kind of crime.

broncosteven
09-14-2009, 12:15 PM
1. Don't think more than one game in advance.
2. Isolate any percieved weakness in the opposing team in the upcoming game.
3. Visualize a Bronco exploiting this weakness.
4. If any doubt enters your mind, think of Spider in a gold thong, this should through Pavlovian training eventually kill any doubt. You may want to keep a bottle of Everclear handy to wash the mental image from your retinas though.

Excellent.

mr007
09-14-2009, 12:15 PM
Become a SUPERFAN!!!

Miss I.
09-14-2009, 12:17 PM
Oh, and because evidently you can find anything on the internet: here's some um...juice...http://www.geekologie.com/2009/09/i_must_have_it_magical_unicorn.php

also this:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pHVPB04TaoU&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0xcc2550&color2=0xe87a9f"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pHVPB04TaoU&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0xcc2550&color2=0xe87a9f" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Popcorn Sutton
09-14-2009, 12:18 PM
What's wrong with guarded optimism?

broncosteven
I do not like or use the word homer. It's retarded. As if believing in your people is some kind of crime.

I was at peace with the 6-7 loss, I thought it was what I expected the team to do:

Be better at D and ST's (punting still needs work)
Play hard
Keep the game close and winable
I figured the O would take a few weeks to get in sync so not worried about Orton, especially playing on a bad finger.

Anyway I didn't expect this glorious miracle of a play, who knew Stokely was going to will the ball to be tipped to him and the Bungles would not have anyone playing deep in the middle of the field?

Rohirrim
You need some of those giant squirrel balls.

Eldorado
09-14-2009, 12:19 PM
Oh, and because evidently you can find anything on the internet: here's some um...juice...http://www.geekologie.com/2009/09/i_must_have_it_magical_unicorn.php

TheRev bought it.

I'm not kidding.

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=83755&highlight=unicorn

broncosteven
09-14-2009, 12:20 PM
Become a SUPERFAN!!!

Yah!

Thats what I want to be.

I want to be the guy who Yells out GO BRONCOS at Analhead when we are down 17-38 to the Chefs late in the 4th Quarter.

errand
09-14-2009, 12:22 PM
Well for starters you have to love the Broncos...not any one player.

Hero worship leads to people becoming Cutler/Shanahan widows, which leads to you silently rejoicing if the Broncos lose, just so you can feel vindicated that your boy should have never been traded....or fired. you'll then start cherry picking this play or that thinking you're a top notch analyst who while I'm sure you might have HD TV, cannot see the entire field on any one given play.

So you'll post a thread thinking you know more than the coaches who have done this their entire working lives, and then you'll be perplexed as to why nobody sees the same things you do "objectively" despite the fact you forget that there are 10 other guys besides the QB who has to perform of the game turns to ****.

cmhargrove
09-14-2009, 12:23 PM
There is a point when you think too much.

Football is a game. For players. it is a living, but for the rest of us, it is just enjoyment. Enjoy the ride - at least this group has heart, and have shown us they will compete to the end.

Ask yourself this - do you believe our inept offense will get better? I do.

Is our defense improved from last year ? Yes.

We have a brutal schedule, but I will enjoy watching this team - every game.

broncosteven
09-14-2009, 12:24 PM
What's wrong with guarded optimism?

After yesterday I am thinking NOTHING!

I want to have that everygame. One should not question the magic of BroncoMania!

Popcorn Sutton
09-14-2009, 12:26 PM
After yesterday I am thinking NOTHING!

I want to have that everygame. One should not question the magic of Gene!

???

crush17
09-14-2009, 12:26 PM
Did you turn your Flesh Light back on or did you just log off the mane and go back to mopping?

you make no sense.

broncosteven
09-14-2009, 12:28 PM
you make no sense.

Sense is for Losers! Go with the flow!

GO BRONCOS!

Eldorado
09-14-2009, 12:31 PM
Sense is for Losers! Go with the flow!

GO BRONCOS!

I'm sorry stevie, we just got done reviewing the specifications on the wagon and it seems we are at the maximum weight capacity. I'm afraid there is no room for you. Better luck next year!

:afro:

broncosteven
09-14-2009, 12:34 PM
I'm sorry stevie, we just got done reviewing the specifications on the wagon and it seems we are at the maximum weight capacity. I'm afraid there is no room for you. Better luck next year!

:afro:

Does this mean I have to take off my Elway Tee that I am wearing in celebration of the win and send in all my framed Bronco stuff?

That would suck.

bronco610
09-14-2009, 12:35 PM

I know the feeling, as for your original post I was there with you for all that. My best friend was a raider fan and all he could say was " why do you root for the Broncos, they always blow it". I have no answer for you and next week I WILL BE IN FRONT OF THE T.V. with our old friend doubt yelling and creaming at a television that doesnt care if my Broncos win or lose. Maybe thats why I throw stuff at it.

I think the impossible wins like yesterday and the heart wrenching losses like jax. is why I stay a fan and not a homer. Its more fun wondering if we win or lose. Imagine how boring knowing you are going to the playoffs every year must be for the fans of some teams. :wave:

broncosteven
09-14-2009, 12:40 PM

I think the impossible wins like yesterday and the heart wrenching losses like jax. is why I stay a fan and not a homer. Its more fun wondering if we win or lose. Imagine how boring knowing you are going to the playoffs every year must be for the fans of some teams. :wave:

I agree with you with it being more fun considering all the options but people seem to like winning over all that hard stuff.

For 38 years I considered all the options why the Broncos were going to win or lose, but with the win like yesterday I am too tired for reality and just want to go with the flow.

GO BRONCOS!

WOOOOOO HOOOOO

Cito Pelon
09-14-2009, 12:40 PM
Nice rant, steven.

Rock Chalk
09-14-2009, 12:42 PM
1) Stop being a douche in every thread.
2) Root for the home team.

Pretty ****ing simple jackass.

broncosteven
09-14-2009, 12:44 PM
Nice rant, steven.

Thanks,

I am enjoying the win.

It is too tiring to think why they are going to lose after they pull a win out of no where.

GO BRONCOS!

broncosteven
09-14-2009, 12:49 PM
1) Stop being a douche in every thread.
2) Root for the home team.

Pretty ****ing simple jackass.

****ing Gay advice!

Bungles were the home team Sunday.

I would edit your post to say:

Stop being a douche period
and
Root for the BRONCOS

I am working on it.

BroncoInSkinland
09-14-2009, 12:56 PM
1. Tape a picture of McDaniels to the back of your left hand.
2. Tape a Picture of Cutler to the palm of your left hand.
3. Get yourself a bag of M&M's
4. Whenever anything positive happens in your life, eat an M&M, as you are digging in the bag, you will see McDaniels, and as a result begin to associate all positives with him and thereby the Broncos.
5. Whenever anything negative happens in your life, open your left hand, look at Cutler, then slap yourself.

broncosteven
09-14-2009, 12:58 PM
4. Whenever anything positive happens in your life, eat an M&M, as you are digging in the bag, you will see McDaniels, and as a result begin to associate all positives with him and thereby the Broncos.
5. Whenever anything negative happens in your life, open your left hand, look at Cutler, then slap yourself.

It is not about the players or coach or even owner, it is the BRONCOS!

WWWOOOOOOOOO

GO BRONCOS

caps lock rules.

BroncoInSkinland
09-14-2009, 01:02 PM
It is not about the players or coach or even owner, it is the BRONCOS!

WWWOOOOOOOOO

GO BRONCOS

caps lock rules.

Very well replace McDaniels with a Broncos logo then. Same process ;)

Bronco Yoda
09-14-2009, 01:07 PM
The problem is I have never been a hardcore "GOOOO BRONCOS! WOOOOOHOOOO" everything is rosy hardcore HOMER before.

"You must trust your feelings young broncostevens.... Use the Orange Crush Broncomaniac FORCE!"

(OK, I couldn't type that with a straight face... but it was fun... ROFL!)

Kid A
09-14-2009, 01:07 PM
I was at peace with the 6-7 loss, I thought it was what I expected the team to do:

Play hard
I figured the O would take a few weeks to get in sync so not worried about Orton, especially playing on a bad finger.

Anyway I didn't expect this glorious miracle of a play, who knew Stokely was going to will the ball to be tipped to him and the Bungles would not have anyone playing deep in the middle of the field?

I think a big part of giving into hopeless optimism from here on out will come down to remembering this weeks game. You can always think "hell, we pulled out that one time with the Stokely play." Simply having actually seen that it's possible is half the battle.

As a Nebraska fan I will always carry a small degree of hope in the closing moments because of the miracle flea kicker TD vs Missouri in 97. Watching the NU-CU game last year as the Huskers needed to make a highly improbable school-record 56 yarder in the closing moments, I never doubted that my team had enough of the "it" factor to pull it off. Sure we had lost our share of close games in the last decade, but we had also pulled our share out of the fire. No reason to assume we wouldn't until the clock ticked 0.

I guess it's kind of like the opposite of feeling your franchise is cursed: you don't assume your team will win every game, but you do have knowledge that your team is capable of beating the odds in miraculous fashion. From a logical perspective you don't have to really believe there are "cursed" teams or "lucky" teams, but seeing a miracle play in your team's favor can certainly bring unsubstantiated optimism in future games.

Bronco Yoda
09-14-2009, 01:13 PM
turn left at the stump..... don't you drop me...
http://onemoreoption.files.wordpress.com/2007/08/yoda-luke.jpg

Garcia Bronco
09-14-2009, 01:14 PM

Play hard

I knew we would win the game before and during.

Pick Six
09-14-2009, 01:14 PM
The score is 0-0 before every game. That's how I approach it. The Broncos have a chance to win every game they play. If they have a bad game one week, next week might be completely different.

BroncoInSkinland
09-14-2009, 01:20 PM
One step process this time.....

1. Realize that the Broncos have secretly hired Gene Kranz as an outside contractor, he calls all plays in the final two minutes of the game.

gyldenlove
09-14-2009, 01:35 PM
The score is 0-0 before every game. That's how I approach it. The Broncos have a chance to win every game they play. If they have a bad game one week, next week might be completely different.

I don't think it is the score before the game that really worries him, I think it is the score after the game that is causing problems....

broncosteven
09-14-2009, 01:39 PM
I knew we would win the game before and during.

I figured we should beat Cinncy and Cleveland to start the year and split with Oak and KFC, maybe beat Washington, but after Sunday's heroics Nothing is impossible.

Brady, Rothlesiberger, and the Mannings are going down!

Dedhed
09-14-2009, 01:42 PM
Only deal with reality. We've won the game we've played, and we can only win one game a week in this league.

When you start down the road of opinion, you're bound to get your panties in a bunch.

But you should definitely give the unicorn semen a try just to cover your bases.

Cool Breeze
09-14-2009, 01:47 PM

Of course take them off if you look at porn - you don't want to turn into one of those cutler/shanny fanatics with the freudian undertones.
Plus you don't want to mess up the pictures...:wiggle:

Bronco Yoda
09-14-2009, 01:57 PM
Remember, a Bronco Homers fan flows from the Force. But beware. unrealistic expectations & goofy thoughts.... The dark side are they. Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny.

... BroncoStevens... do not... do not underestimate the powers of the misguided-homerism however....or suffer like the Cutler fanboy clubs fate you will.

Pass on what you have learned, Stevens. There is... There is a bright future for us. How long will it be, one cannot say for sure”

broncosteven
09-14-2009, 02:02 PM
Remember, a Bronco Homers fan flows from the Force. But beware. unrealistic expectations & goofy thoughts.... The dark side are they. Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny.

... BroncoStevens... do not... do not underestimate the powers of the misguided-homerism however....or suffer like the Cutler fanboy clubs fate you will.

Pass on what you have learned, Stevens. There is... There is a bright future for us. How long will it be, one cannot say for sure”

So are you saying that I shouldn't expect a last minute tip for a gamewinning TD every week?

I am more of a Star Trek original series guy.

tsiguy96
09-14-2009, 02:04 PM
forgot, apparently there IS something wrong with constantly cheering for the broncos instead of whining how bad they will be. gotcha, move along now.

Irish Stout
09-14-2009, 02:13 PM
Homerism is not believing your team will always win, but knowing they have the possibility to win every game they are in. Homerism is taking the bitter when it comes and choking it down. Remember that bitter always makes the sweet taste sweeter. When the Broncos won it at SB 32, I cried... it was the impossible. I knew they COULD win that game, but I wasn't sure they WOULD win that game... then they did it. I remembered all the struggles and the lopsided super bowls and the rough patch in the 90s under Wade. I remembered them and the flavor in my heart was beautiful. To strive so hard, to struggle, to stick by your team through those tough times... when those tough times just vanish in a cloud of Elway helicopter dives and TD playing with migranes and Ed McCaffrey shaking fingers in defenders faces and Atwater and Shannon gaping with the biggest smiles the world has ever seen. That would have meant only 1/100th of what it meant if that team had won its prior Super Bowls. It would have meant only 1/1000th of what it meant had the 96 Jax game not gone so horribly wrong and the way was paved to Championship.

Homerism is sticking through the bitter, the rough, the unbearable.... sitting through it with unblinking eyes, choking back the sorrow and disappointment... and still believing that the next game COULD be a win and knowing that your team has the heart to win any game any time. Homerism is knowing that Denver is the best place on earth because of the rocky mountain thunder.

We'll take 'em next week. We'll take 'em the one after that! Screw Pittsburgh! Screw the talking heads! Broncos have what it takes to go the distance!

Broncos till I die.

Bronco Yoda
09-14-2009, 02:16 PM
So are you saying that I shouldn't expect a last minute tip for a gamewinning TD every week?

I am more of a Star Trek original series guy.

... well I do. But I'm just crazy that way. :clown:

I'm glad that the knuckleheads that gave me that nickname years ago weren't trekies or trekors. I'd be bronco spock and have to chime in with live long and prosper all the time. That vulcan death grip was nasty however if I recall correctly.

broncosteven
09-14-2009, 02:27 PM
Homerism is not believing your team will always win, but knowing they have the possibility to win every game they are in. Homerism is taking the bitter when it comes and choking it down. Remember that bitter always makes the sweet taste sweeter. When the Broncos won it at SB 32, I cried... it was the impossible. I knew they COULD win that game, but I wasn't sure they WOULD win that game... then they did it. I remembered all the struggles and the lopsided super bowls and the rough patch in the 90s under Wade. I remembered them and the flavor in my heart was beautiful. To strive so hard, to struggle, to stick by your team through those tough times... when those tough times just vanish in a cloud of Elway helicopter dives and TD playing with migranes and Ed McCaffrey shaking fingers in defenders faces and Atwater and Shannon gaping with the biggest smiles the world has ever seen. That would have meant only 1/100th of what it meant if that team had won its prior Super Bowls. It would have meant only 1/1000th of what it meant had the 96 Jax game not gone so horribly wrong and the way was paved to Championship.

Homerism is sticking through the bitter, the rough, the unbearable.... sitting through it with unblinking eyes, choking back the sorrow and disappointment... and still believing that the next game COULD be a win and knowing that your team has the heart to win any game any time. Homerism is knowing that Denver is the best place on earth because of the rocky mountain thunder.

We'll take 'em next week. We'll take 'em the one after that! Screw Pittsburgh! Screw the talking heads! Broncos have what it takes to go the distance!

Broncos till I die.

So that means I have been a homer all along...

Irish Stout
09-14-2009, 02:43 PM
So that means I have been a homer all along...

I believe you have.

Their is homerism and there is delusional. Deluded people KNOW there team is going to win the Super Bowl, even if they are the detroit lions. Homers know that their team COULD win the super bowl any given year and they're willing to justify why, even if they're the Denver Broncos and have a killer season.

I am a homer on the verge of delusion. I honestly believe this team could go winless. I don't know it for a fact, cause if I did, I wouldn't watch the games and I would put my life savings on it in Vegas. As it so happens, I have only made a small "wager" for the Broncos to win the division. I do believe we can compete with anyone, and that will be by view every year until I die. Even if Bubby Brister and Gus Ferrotte came back to be our QBing core and McCree and Manuel were brought back into our secondary.

Irish Stout
09-14-2009, 02:44 PM
..... Even if Bubby Brister and Gus Ferrotte came back to be our QBing core and McCree and Manuel were brought back into our secondary.

I puked a little in my mouth after typing that.

Tombstone RJ
09-14-2009, 02:44 PM
Homerism tends to ignore the facts and focus only on the positive. That is not me by any stretch of the imagination. However, I am a "glass half full" fan which is different. Lets look at an example:

Situation: Broncos win against Cincy on an improbable play at the end of the game.

Homer's reaction: "I knew the Broncos would win! No way is Cincy better than the Broncos! The game was never in doubt, Broncos are the best team in the NFL because they are the Broncos!! Wooohoo!!"

Glass Half Empty Fan: "Broncos got lucky, plain and simple. They lose that game 9 times out of 10. Sometimes its just better to be lucky than to be good and trust me, the Broncos got lucky with that win. Come next week, the Broncos will be lucky to score 10 points and the defense will probably revert back to the same old crap as last year."

Glass Half Full Fan: "Defense wins the game for the Broncos!! The Broncos defense is finally playing the way it should and they carried the team to victory! Now, if Orton and the offense can get their act together, we may actually have a good team!"

Its not hard to be a Glass Half Full Fan. Its simple, really. You acknowledge the good things, and you acknowledge the bad things but you remain optimistic about the team.