PDA

View Full Version : Did Ayers play at all?

ludo21
09-14-2009, 10:12 AM
Or was he inactive? He either made no plays or didnt play at all.. Im not sure..

Also, Sheffler is tied for the team lead in picks! :approve:

BMarsh615
09-14-2009, 10:13 AM
He played a lot actually. Came in on 3rd downs.

Dr. Broncenstein
09-14-2009, 10:14 AM
He played. He's no Rey Maualuga, but he actually stepped on the field.

TheDave
09-14-2009, 10:14 AM
He was out there... Still lost.

Eldorado
09-14-2009, 10:15 AM
Played well at the point of attach against the run. Completly lost in coverage.

WolfpackGuy
09-14-2009, 10:16 AM
I did see a 56 out there.
It didn't get anywhere near the ball like the old 56 did.

PRBronco
09-14-2009, 10:19 AM
Yeah he was out there a lot more than I thought he would be. I was surprised he wasn't on the stat sheet, quite a few times I noticed him in on a play, thought he logged a couple assists. He seemed to pop into the screen just after the play was over, or to get to the QB a second late. Not wildly impressive, but hopefully as the game slows down for him, he speeds up :) Also they dropped him into coverage several times on 3rd downs, I was impressed they had that kind of confidence in him.

yerner
09-14-2009, 10:22 AM
mayock said ayers would take 3 years. so hopefully people will be patient with this guy.

bronco militia
09-14-2009, 10:24 AM
mayock said ayers would take 3 years. so hopefully people will be patient with this guy.

interesting....you don't draft guys that take three years to develope in the 1st round.

where did he have him ranked?

Rabb
09-14-2009, 10:26 AM
He played. He's no Rey Maualuga, but he actually stepped on the field.

Isn't Maualuga a true LB and Ayers a DE/LB?

apples to oranges

Smiling Assassin27
09-14-2009, 10:26 AM
on a positive note, dumervil may just have a major breakout in this system.

lex
09-14-2009, 10:27 AM
He was standing there next to the WR on the catch near the goal line that they reviewed.

yerner
09-14-2009, 10:29 AM
interesting....you don't draft guys that take three years to develope in the 1st round.

Not sure. He did think that after 3 years Ayers would be the best defensive player that came out this year. So maybe he wasn't saying it would take 3 years before Ayers started to play well but that you would see up and down play for awhile.

Dr. Broncenstein
09-14-2009, 10:30 AM
on a positive note, dumervil may just have a major breakout in this system.

I hope so... but I have a feeling he'll be exposed in coverage. If we can keep him playing downhill, he sure looks effective rushing the passer and defending the run.

Killericon
09-14-2009, 10:31 AM

Yes, yes you do. Often you do it with QBs, but other times it can be DBs, WRs or LBs.

Dr. Broncenstein
09-14-2009, 10:37 AM

Pittsburg is about the only team that has success with this model. Trevor Pryce is the only Bronco that comes to mind that took time to develop into a difference maker. Its seems that, historically speaking, they either make a difference immediately or they bust. For example: John Mobley, Al Wilson, Reggie Heyward, Darrent Williams, Elvis Dumervill, and so on -- all made contributions immediately.

bronco militia
09-14-2009, 10:43 AM
Yes, yes you do. Often you do it with QBs, but other times it can be DBs, WRs or LBs.

.....the broncos didn't draft Jarvis Moss thinking he'd take three years to develope nor did they draft Jay Cutler with that in mind either.

IMO you're 1st and 2nd rounders should be fighting for playing time in their 1st season

DBroncos4life
09-14-2009, 10:53 AM
.....the broncos didn't draft Jarvis Moss thinking he'd take three years to develope nor did they draft Jay Cutler with that in mind either.

IMO you're 1st and 2nd rounders should be fighting for playing time in their 1st season

Moss was very raw coming out of college and fans won't even give him two seasons to develop. It took Hayward 3 years to come around, Tuck I believe was 3 years as well. Both taken later in the draft. Mathias Kiwanuka took three years as well and he was picked in the first round. Some times it pays for teams to give talent the time they need to learn and become impact players. That is why I would hate to give up on Moss so early. He might not pan out but we are not really losing much by giving him a fair shot.

Dr. Broncenstein
09-14-2009, 10:57 AM
Moss was very raw coming out of college and fans won't even give him two seasons to develop. It took Hayward 3 years to come around, Tuck I believe was 3 years as well. Both taken later in the draft. Mathias Kiwanuka took three years as well and he was picked in the first round. Some times it pays for teams to give talent the time they need to learn and become impact players. That is why I would hate to give up on Moss so early. He might not pan out but we are not really losing much by giving him a fair shot.

This is blatantly false. Heyward made immediate contributions as a rookie, and was the third best D-lineman on the team from the start behind Bert Berry and Trevor Pryce.

Cito Pelon
09-14-2009, 11:04 AM
Dude hasn't put a single hit on a ball-carrier in his career. Dude has no clue what he's doing. It's like he's wearing a blindfold out there. I'm sorry, but this guy looks like a bust. I had him pegged before the draft because of size/speed ratio as one of the top three guys along with Kruger and Barwin to make the transition to 3-4 LB from DE.

You win some, you lose some.

DBroncos4life
09-14-2009, 11:05 AM
This is blatantly false. Heyward made immediate contributions as a rookie, and was the third best D-lineman on the team from the start behind Bert Berry and Trevor Pryce.

Sorry my bad him playing in 6 games his first year with 3 sacks 18 TOT, 9 games with 0 sacks 9 TOT in his second year, then 16 games with 8.5 sacks 27 TOT his third year really threw me off.

Pryce, Keith Washington, Chester McGlockton, and Kavika Pittman all had more tackles then Hayward in 2001. Only Pittman had less sacks. Berry had more so third best DL might be a stretch.

TheDave
09-14-2009, 11:07 AM
Dude hasn't put a single hit on a ball-carrier in his career. Dude has no clue what he's doing. It's like he's wearing a blindfold out there. I'm sorry, but this guy looks like a bust. I had him pegged before the draft because of size/speed ratio as one of the top three guys along with Kruger and Barwin to make the transition to 3-4 LB from DE.

This guys going to need time to develop... and don't be surprised if he finds himself eventually replacing andra Davis.

crush17
09-14-2009, 11:09 AM
Absolutely LOST in coverage.

Dr. Broncenstein
09-14-2009, 11:11 AM

This.

I just don't understand what the knock on Rey Maualuga was. He certainly has the measurables, and was extremely productive throughout his career and especially in big games. How we can pass a guy like that for a project tweener is beyond me... at least Mario Haagan is stepping up and contributing.

Cito Pelon
09-14-2009, 11:15 AM
This guys going to need time to develop... and don't be surprised if he finds himself eventually replacing andra Davis.

Dang. I tried to delete that post.

Dr. Broncenstein
09-14-2009, 11:15 AM
Sorry my bad him playing in 6 games his first year with 3 sacks 18 TOT, 9 games with 0 sacks 9 TOT in his second year, then 16 games with 8.5 sacks 27 TOT his third year really threw me off.

Three sacks in his rookie year is three times as many as Jarvis Moss had. And statistics rarely measure the impact a d-lineman has, especially in a system that generated almost no pressure with the front four by design.

DBroncos4life
09-14-2009, 11:19 AM
Three sacks in his rookie year is three times as many as Jarvis Moss had. And statistics rarely measure the impact a d-lineman has, especially in a system that generated almost no pressure with the front four by design.

Read my edit, at least FOUR players played more downs, had more tackles and had more sacks.

Dr. Broncenstein
09-14-2009, 11:20 AM
Pryce, Keith Washington, Chester McGlockton, and Kavika Pittman all had more tackles then Hayward in 2001. Only Pittman had less sacks. Berry had more so third best DL might be a stretch.

Lets have a draft that includes the above players at that point in their careers, add Bert Berry, and see who goes top 3.

Dr. Broncenstein
09-14-2009, 11:22 AM
Read my edit, at least FOUR players played more downs, had more tackles and had more sacks.

It's not like they were trying to sqare-peg an over-priced Kavika Pittman now, were they?

DBroncos4life
09-14-2009, 11:22 AM
Lets have a draft that includes the above players at that point in their careers, add Bert Berry, and see who goes top 3. Yeah lets do that.

Cito Pelon
09-14-2009, 11:23 AM
This.

I just don't understand what the knock on Rey Maualuga was. He certainly has the measurables, and was extremely productive throughout his career and especially in big games. How we can pass a guy like that for a project tweener is beyond me... at least Mario Haagan is stepping up and contributing.

Oh boy, I was not quick enough to delete.

Well, Ayers may have some upside yet. He can move inside with his size.

Dr. Broncenstein
09-14-2009, 11:23 AM

The point being that it was immediately apparent that Heyward belonged in this league. It was apparent in his rookie preseason. Ayers... not so much.

Dr. Broncenstein
09-14-2009, 11:24 AM
Yeah lets do that.

I'll take Pryce, Berry, and Heyward.

TheDave
09-14-2009, 11:25 AM
Dang. I tried to delete that post.

Sorry boss, your bit O' negativity is now permanently part of the internets. ;D

DBroncos4life
09-14-2009, 11:27 AM
It's not like they were trying to sqare-peg an over-priced Kavika Pittman now, were they?
Hayward was situational pass rusher that played in 6 games his rookie year to full time starter in year three.

DBroncos4life
09-14-2009, 11:31 AM
The point being that it was immediately apparent that Heyward belonged in this league. It was apparent in his rookie preseason. Ayers... not so much.

Lets cut him then no need in wasting time and a roster spot then. FYI Hayward by the way.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/5535

PRBronco
09-14-2009, 11:32 AM
I can't believe people still don't understand that picks on the DLine typically need 2-3 years to develop. How is this even being discussed? Just look up any old Jarvis thread.

Dr. Broncenstein
09-14-2009, 11:33 AM
Hayward was situational pass rusher that played in 6 games his rookie year to full time starter in year three.

Well that's certainly one way to look at it. Another way would be to call him a third round suprise who contributed in a substantial fashion beginning in his rookie year.

Beantown Bronco
09-14-2009, 11:41 AM
Bertrand Berry sucked for 5 years before he did anything of note.

Captain 'Dre
09-14-2009, 12:20 PM

No kidding! Nothing like developing a guy only to have him leave in free agency once he's finally become decent!

Crushaholic
09-14-2009, 12:24 PM

Davis was making all sorts of plays. Ayers will really need to step it up if he wants to supplant Davis...

barryr
09-14-2009, 12:28 PM
Ayers was a late bloomer in college, so chances are he won't play great right off the bat in the NFL. Add in he is making a position change and that will make his transition longer.

BMarsh615
09-14-2009, 12:32 PM
Rey Maulauga should have gotten 3 or 4 penalties for helmet to helmet contact.

TheDave
09-14-2009, 12:56 PM
Davis was making all sorts of plays. Ayers will really need to step it up if he wants to supplant Davis...

I'm thinking in a couple of seasons when Davis is ready to move on/retire. Ayrs just seems so terrible in pass coverage I'm not sure he will ever have the awareness to play SOLB.

NFLBRONCO
09-14-2009, 01:01 PM

I agree but, not all guys light it up in year 1. I'm not the biggest fan of this pick but, give him two years to see if we have something or not.

Popps
09-14-2009, 01:03 PM
I'm thinking in a couple of seasons when Davis is ready to move on/retire. Ayrs just seems so terrible in pass coverage I'm not sure he will ever have the awareness to play SOLB.

LOL

Yea, I mean... it's been one game. They should probably just cut him.

DBroncos4life
09-14-2009, 01:05 PM
LOL

That's exactly what TheDave is trying to say there. ::) Its not just one game it has been camp and preseason.

TheDave
09-14-2009, 01:06 PM
LOL

Yeah, that's exactly what I said... (but you already knew that)

They won Popps, you should enjoy it and troll a little less. :thumbs:

TheDave
09-14-2009, 01:08 PM
That's exactly what TheDave is trying to say there. ::) Its not just one game it has been camp and preseason.

Popps got bitchy with me a couple of weeks ago and can't seem to let it go... He'll come around eventually ;D

TheReverend
09-14-2009, 01:10 PM

What?

ludo21
09-14-2009, 01:14 PM
I just want to see improvement game to game with Ayers. I hope it doesnt take three years though cause we need an impact DE/OLB soon.

TheDave
09-14-2009, 01:16 PM
What?

Brotha'... I'm just trying to get the kid on the field eventually.

Right now SOLB is a stretch

Doom looks fantastic at WOLB

DJ and Woodyard are entrenched at WILB

He's too light for a DE in our defense

Safety and Corner are out...

So it's either hope he eventually translates to SOLB or we move him inside to fight off gaurds, support the run and blitz more often.

azbroncfan
09-14-2009, 01:19 PM

Serious? How many rookie DL do anything as a rookie? Sometimes I wonder where people come up with this stuff. DL is the hardest tranistion from college other than QB and has been gone over time and time again on here.

outdoor_miner
09-14-2009, 01:25 PM
FYI - Just took a quick trip to the Skins message board, and people are pretty worried about Orakpo... Calling him the "invisible man", and basically saying he should be playing DE and not OLB.

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?t=298714

Kind of interesting, as he is likely the #1 comparison to Ayers.

PRBronco
09-14-2009, 01:57 PM
Brotha'... I'm just trying to get the kid on the field eventually.

Right now SOLB is a stretch - Don't sell him short, he's had one game...and it's not like we've seen him wildly exposed time and again.

Doom looks fantastic at WOLB - No, Demarcus Ware looks fantastic at WOLB. Doom looks like our best option, at the moment.

DJ and Woodyard are entrenched at WILB - Truth, and Ayers is not that type of player.

He's too light for a DE in our defense - Yeah that's not their plan for him, but he was over 280 in college wasn't he?

Safety and Corner are out... - He's better than Marquand Manuel ;)

So it's either hope he eventually translates to SOLB or we move him inside to fight off gaurds, support the run and blitz more often.

Don't be too quick to judge!

...and also don't rule out that safety thing...I'm telling you, last year Shanny would have started him at least once back there :spit:

TheDave
09-14-2009, 02:04 PM
Don't be too quick to judge!

...and also don't rule out that safety thing...I'm telling you, last year Shanny would have started him at least once back there :spit:

I'm by no means selling him short... he can make the transition to OLB. It's just right now his awareness is much worse than I would have anticipated.

As for the Doom/Ware comment, thats true. I'm overstating Dooms production at this point but he just looks so damn natural at the position I have VERY high hopes for him.