PDA

View Full Version : The Jabar Gaffney "Catch"

Beantown Bronco
09-14-2009, 08:34 AM
Don't get me wrong. I'm not complaining here. I'm glad the call went our way, but it just seemed so obvious to me that it shouldn't have and I wanted to check here to make sure I wasn't seeing things.

Someone please explain to me how this catch actually held up under review? Looked pretty clear to me and the guys in the booth that the ball was bobbled...in fact, it wasn't even in his hands when he went to the sidelines. He caught it, got one foot down, then did a weird double-clutch thing were for a split second his hands completely separated from the ball and it was just floating there in the air, then he regained control and got the 2nd foot down and went out of bounds.

It was only really visible from the one angle that wasn't shown on the live feed until the end of the review period.....though I have a hard time believing the guy in the booth didn't get access to this angle too. Anyone?

Captain 'Dre
09-14-2009, 08:35 AM
Don't get me wrong. I'm not complaining here. I'm glad the call went our way, but it just seemed so obvious to me that it shouldn't have and I wanted to check here to make sure I wasn't seeing things.

Someone please explain to me how this catch actually held up under review? Looked pretty clear to me and the guys in the booth that the ball was bobbled...in fact, it wasn't even in his hands when he went to the sidelines. He caught it, got one foot down, then did a weird double-clutch thing were for a split second his hands completely separated from the ball and it was just floating there in the air, then he regained control and got the 2nd foot down and went out of bounds.

It was only really visible from the one angle that wasn't shown on the live feed until the end of the review period.....though I have a hard time believing the guy in the booth didn't get access to this angle too. Anyone?

And Ed Hochuli was nowhere in sight! Go figure!

WolfpackGuy
09-14-2009, 08:35 AM
Got a break there because I didn't think he had two feet in with possession after the bobble.

gyldenlove
09-14-2009, 08:41 AM
It if difficult to be 100% sure on those shots, so I think the ref went with the original call because the video didn't clearly show it should be overturned. It is the same with the Hill tackle late in the 4th, if they call a TD on that play it will stand with review and likewise the non-TD call stood.

BroncoBuff
09-14-2009, 08:42 AM
The chat room seemed to be pretty unanimous it would be overturned. He did bobble it.

KS Bronco
09-14-2009, 08:42 AM
yeah, i heard they are really gonna rely on the initial call this year, unless the video replay shows major evidence to overturn the call.

Garcia Bronco
09-14-2009, 08:51 AM
He had possession and dragged both feet. It was close, but it was the right call.

Garcia Bronco
09-14-2009, 08:52 AM
The chat room seemed to be pretty unanimous it would be overturned. He did bobble it.

But he controlled it and dragged the right foot after the "bobble".

Garcia Bronco
09-14-2009, 08:52 AM
Got a break there because I didn't think he had two feet in with possession after the bobble.

He did. It was hard to see. I at first thought it was no good, but upon further review...it was.

dbfan21
09-14-2009, 08:54 AM
I was pleasantly surprised it was upheld as well. It looked like he lacked control when he went OOB.

SoDak Bronco
09-14-2009, 08:54 AM
did you guys see a hold against weigmann on the screen pass that would've sealed the game? That was BS, the replay was tough to see, but there wasn't a hold that I saw? That call would've cost us the game.

WolfpackGuy
09-14-2009, 08:55 AM
did you guys see a hold against weigmann on the screen pass that would've sealed the game? That was BS, the replay was tough to see, but there wasn't a hold that I saw? That call would've cost us the game.

Agreed.
That was definitely some bullshucks.

Broncoman13
09-14-2009, 08:59 AM
But he controlled it and dragged the right foot after the "bobble".

That right foot never touched the ground after the bobble/

TheReverend
09-14-2009, 09:04 AM
I agree but let's take what we can get. I think our 12th man was Jesus Christ yesterday. McD may be performing human sacrifices after practice.

no-pseudo-fan
09-14-2009, 09:08 AM
Gaffney is a good WR. Here is the thing, if that last pass was to Jabar and not B-Marsh, the Defense wouldn't have over reacted and the pass would have been picked or Stokely would have been tackled right away.

dbfan4life
09-14-2009, 09:08 AM
He did bobble it, but I think he regained control and got two feet down before he went OOB. It was close.

SonOfLe-loLang
09-14-2009, 09:45 AM
He did. It was hard to see. I at first thought it was no good, but upon further review...it was.

Yeah, it looked to me that as soon as he controlled the bobble, he had a foot and toe down. If the toe wasn't down, it sure was damn close. The NFL said that this year they wouldn't overturn replays on questionable **** like that. It has to be obvious and it certainly was not obvious.

McDman
09-14-2009, 09:48 AM
I'm surprised they didn't review the almost int before our Mcmiracle. It looked like the guy came down with it.

PRBronco
09-14-2009, 09:48 AM
I agree but let's take what we can get. I think our 12th man was Jesus Christ yesterday. McD may be performing human sacrifices after practice.

Oh man, no wonder Kurt Warner lost! His boy JC was in Ohio!

goldengopher1976
09-14-2009, 11:05 AM
He had possession and dragged both feet. It was close, but it was the right call.

agreed.

broncocalijohn
09-14-2009, 11:10 AM

they were looking after he recovered the bobble if both feet were in. One was for sure as it was stationary and they probably couldnt conclude if the 2nd foot dragged or not so no way to overturn it. It was a good call.

mr007
09-14-2009, 11:11 AM
Definitely the wrong call.

The ball bobbled up and when he regained possession, his left foot was on the ground and his right foot clearly landed out of bounds.

We got a break, but I'm not complaining =).

ZONA
09-14-2009, 11:52 AM

Yup, I don't know what people here are talking about. They replayed it from the reverse angle a few times and just after the bobble, he secured it quickly and dragged that foot, not for long but he did get both in.

bronco militia
09-14-2009, 11:53 AM

:spit:Ha!:notworthy

no doubt...the Zebras owed us one...

damn they were terrible in every game I watched this weekend.

ZONA
09-14-2009, 11:54 AM
Definitely the wrong call.

The ball bobbled up and when he regained possession, his left foot was on the ground and his right foot clearly landed out of bounds.

We got a break, but I'm not complaining =).

try these, I hear they work pretty good.

http://www.highsnobiety.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/stussy-naomi-glasses-kotake-cyobei-saku.jpg

Beantown Bronco
09-14-2009, 11:54 AM
Yup, I don't know what people here are talking about. They replayed it from the reverse angle a few times and just after the bobble, he secured it quickly and dragged that foot, not for long but he did get both in.

What I saw was one foot, bobble, one foot.....not one foot, bobble, two feet. And I watched it in frame by frame in slow mo high def a few times. I'll check it out again tonight and look for a drag.

barryr
09-14-2009, 01:41 PM
It's already been answered, but I'll chime in anyway. Gaffney did bobble it, but regained possession right before stepping out of bounds. His left foot was clearly in after regaining possession, but I couldn't tell at least if his right foot was dragged in or not. It was close and so I think since it was not conclusive, they went with the call on the field.

400HZ
09-14-2009, 02:06 PM
Denver is just lucky as hell when it comes to that type of thing.

misturanderson
09-14-2009, 04:15 PM
Denver is just lucky as hell when it comes to that type of thing.

Yeah, but it gets made up for with multiple phantom calls against us and multiple obvious no-calls against the other team every game.

To the OP, I also saw that he barely dragged that foot for a very short amount of time after regaining posession of the ball.

ayjackson
09-14-2009, 04:31 PM
I didn't see a drag, but I don't think the right foot had come completely off the turf at the instant the ball was re-grasped.

DHallblows
09-14-2009, 04:40 PM
lulz at the people saying he clearly dragged his other foot. The angles for challenges that game seemed to be terrible and there was no exception here...
Probably would have stayed incomplete if had been called that way, too. There just wasn't an angle low enough from the front to tell if the other foot drug or not

ScottXray
09-14-2009, 04:44 PM
The video was inconclusive as to whether he had lifted the right foot when
he regained the ball. Clearly got the left down after that. Supposedly it now has to be Overwhelming evidence the field call was bad. It wasn't, so call stood.

As for the second to last play Orton threw...receiver never got two feet down in bounds, (but might have got one), so it was not an interception no matter what. Could have been reviewed , but it still would have stoodas incomplete pass.

Irish Stout
09-14-2009, 04:45 PM
What I saw was one foot, bobble, one foot.....not one foot, bobble, two feet. And I watched it in frame by frame in slow mo high def a few times. I'll check it out again tonight and look for a drag.

I couldn't tell and I've watched it 8 times. The left foot is clearly planted, the ball is then controlled, the right foot is moving forward and eventually steps out, but it is unclear from the only angle they really had on it whether or not the right foot dragged.

I think the debate right here in this thread is exactly why they didn't overturn the call... they just couldn't tell for sure.