PDA

View Full Version : Todays Play Calling

Quoydogs
09-13-2009, 11:34 PM
Ok First WooHOO what a ride but we won so that's good.

Take away the bad passes and missed catches, how do you think our offenses play calling was?? I kinda liked it, it was a nice change. I found my self saying what the hell are you doing running the clock out at the end but I came to find out I liked how he used the time outs. Gained a little respect for McD's play calling today. Now if he can just learn to manage the disgruntle players a little better.

On the Defensive side of the ball, WOW! I mean we still have a long ways to go but compared to last year, what a deference a a real D coach makes.

Clockwork Orange
09-13-2009, 11:36 PM
I would have like to seen them grind it out on the ground a little more on the last drive that ended with the two penalties and a sack, but other than that I thought the play calling was fine.

BroncoBuff
09-13-2009, 11:37 PM
Hard to tell with the drops ... but I didn't like the way they forced the ball to Marshall and ignored Hillis. Even Royal needed more touches, where were they?

Plus, where was Buckhalter in the 2nd half? He was awesome early, but then he was pulled for most all the 3rd quarter?

ScottXray
09-13-2009, 11:39 PM
definitely wasn't too impressed with our play selection, especially the lack of running, and the lack of sweeps and tosses, pitch outs.

McD did some nice time management, but he could have been better at situational awareness . Too many passes overall and putting moreno in repeatedly when buckhalter had the hot hand was not wise. .

Quoydogs
09-13-2009, 11:40 PM
Hard to tell with the drops ... but I didn't like the way they forced the ball to Marshall and ignored Hillis. Even Royal needed more touches, where were they?

Plus, where was Buckhalter in the 2nd half? He was awesome early, but then he was pulled for most all the 3rd quarter?

I don't think he can hack the whole game. I like what I saw from him today but I just don't think that he can do a full game

Archer81
09-13-2009, 11:42 PM
It got better as the game wore on. You could see the confidence growing in all three units as the game wore on. I still dont get the love affair with throwing it on 3rd and 3 and less...drives me nuts. We won, so no bitching about it from me.

:Broncos:

JCMElway
09-13-2009, 11:45 PM
Once we get Kuper back we'll pound the ball a bit more, esp when Moreno gets his timing down with hitting the gaps.

BroncoBuff
09-13-2009, 11:47 PM
definitely wasn't too impressed with our play selection, especially the lack of running, and the lack of sweeps and tosses, pitch outs.

No runs wide, yes I noticed that. Seemed odd ...

The lack of Peyton Hillis touches is a real problem, can't waste that talent, especially when the offense is struggling ... he's a spark plug.

0707 maybe Buck is not an every down back, but he was knifing up the middle in the first half, and then they went away from it. I liked the safe passes to Graham, he caught 4 passes in 5 plays (though was was nullified by penalty), and had a great diving catch. But then they didn't go to him again ???

Quoydogs
09-13-2009, 11:47 PM
Once we get Kuper back we'll pound the ball a bit more, esp when Moreno gets his timing down with hitting the gaps.

Speaking of Moreno there was a great shot of him on the side line. He had just got stuffed for a small loss and you could just see it eating at him. I mean he was pissed, I like that. I think he is going to do big things.

Popps
09-13-2009, 11:48 PM
I only found myself angry at play selection one time. Can't even recall when it was. So, I'd say execution was a bigger issue than selection, today.

As you stated, we had a lot of dropped balls. Marshall's were a joke.

If guys make catches they should today, we probably win this game in a much easier fashion. Hell, take away one holding call late in the game, and there's probably no drama.

broncocalijohn
09-13-2009, 11:50 PM
I would have like to seen them grind it out on the ground a little more on the last drive that ended with the two penalties and a sack, but other than that I thought the play calling was fine.

This is what i thought too. We are pretty much in field goal range and the safest play on that last 3rd down was to do a screen or run it. Orton not throwing it was huge but i think i saw a DL jumping up pretty high so Orton couldnt see where he was chucking it. I wish Hillis got more playing time and more throws to Royal early on would have been nice too.

azbroncfan
09-13-2009, 11:52 PM
I don't like the revolving door at RB. It's hard for the RB's to get a into a nice Rythm that way. I don't like the shotgun on 3rd and 1's but overall Denver looked well prepared and coached.

maher_tyler
09-13-2009, 11:53 PM
I was hoping to see a little more PA on the second and shorts to keep the D guessing. Would have liked to see Buckhalter getting more of the carries once we saw Moreno wasn't doing much and with B getting some nice gains here and there. I see why we don't throw much down the field, Orton does not have the arm strength to get the ball there...i saw that on an out pattern to Gaffney i think and as well on the last drive with the fluke deflection. If the timing isn't perfect, it will be broken up or intercepted. When Cinci scored i didn't have any confidence that Orton could get the ball down the field and bring us into field goal range. If we're down by a couple of scores late in games...its going to be hard to come back because we'll have to dink and dunk down the field chewing time off the clock. If our run game doesn't get a lot better, we have 4-5 consecutive 3 and outs or especially if we turn the ball over...it could be rough, especially against teams like NE and Pitt. If we play like we did today against those teams...its going to be a blow out!!

Edit: I agree azbroncfan...i don't like the revolving door at RB either. Buck seemed to have the hot hand...keep giving it to him!!

Popps
09-13-2009, 11:56 PM
I don't like the revolving door at RB. It's hard for the RB's to get a into a nice Rythm that way. I don't like the shotgun on 3rd and 1's but overall Denver looked well prepared and coached.

I'm with you as far as it feeling weird.

But, New England was 4th in rushing last year using no back with more than 900 yards.

As for the shotgun, get used to it.

Definitely feels strange to watch... but Broncos fans had best settle into these concepts. This is our new offense and if it pans out, we'll be very happy about it.

Clockwork Orange
09-14-2009, 12:01 AM
This is what i thought too. We are pretty much in field goal range and the safest play on that last 3rd down was to do a screen or run it. Orton not throwing it was huge but i think i saw a DL jumping up pretty high so Orton couldnt see where he was chucking it. I wish Hillis got more playing time and more throws to Royal early on would have been nice too.

Yeah, I was thinking that a draw play or something low risk on that 3rd down would have been the way to go. Play it safe, try to get a few yards and give Prater a chance to make it a two score game. Judging by McDaniels' reaction, that was an oops by Orton on that play. McDaniels was visibly agitated that he didn't get rid of the football.

I agree with the idea that execution was the main problem today. Hopefully these guys can get things tightened up before week 4, when the schedule starts getting rough.

Taco John
09-14-2009, 12:17 AM
It's pretty difficult to evaluate the playcalling given the lack of execution out there. If someone wanted to find reason to be critical, it would be around the notion that we might have given Moreno too many first down opportunities, and Buckhalter too few.

I was impressed with Buckhalter today. I thought he was a shining spot on an otherwise dull looking offense.

Quoydogs
09-14-2009, 12:42 AM
It's pretty difficult to evaluate the playcalling given the lack of execution out there. If someone wanted to find reason to be critical, it would be around the notion that we might have given Moreno too many first down opportunities, and Buckhalter too few.

I was impressed with Buckhalter today. I thought he was a shining spot on an otherwise dull looking offense.

But isn't that going to be our offense now. I would think it is like New England was last year. I do agree on the running backs. I also would have liked to see more Hillis. I think it would have looked way better if we could have made a few of those completions. I think Flashy is a thing of the past.

Atwater His Ass
09-14-2009, 01:52 AM
I think it was really too hard to judge with the horendous execution today.

ZONA
09-14-2009, 02:06 AM
I think it was really too hard to judge with the horendous execution today.

I have to agree. It's hard to say what would have worked better then what was called because of the lack of execution by the players (dropped passes, mis reads, penalties, etc.).

Although I was a little miffed my boy Hillis was not featured more. But I already commented on that in another thread. One of the things I think McD is doing with rotating so many guys in is A) to keep them fresh B) forces the defense to try and figure out all the different runners rather then quickly figure out the tendencies of one back C) keeps all the runners happy that they are at least getting carries and are a part of the game plan.

elsid13
09-14-2009, 02:48 AM
I felt that the play calling was ok, I think that he didn't help the offense get into rhythm like he should have when it was struggling and there was no tempo to the calls.

The MVPlaya
09-14-2009, 03:09 AM
I think the execution was poor therefore play calling was difficult to determine. We had multiple screw ups on 3rd down with drops and holds. We actually ran the ball until we were unable to execute passing downs.

I know people would probably expect more PA roll outs to create some easy open throws... not sure if this was in their game plan tho.

Going into the game - it was known that Bengals D was underrated and not to be taken lightly!

Atwater His Ass
09-14-2009, 04:32 AM
I have to agree. It's hard to say what would have worked better then what was called because of the lack of execution by the players (dropped passes, mis reads, penalties, etc.).

Although I was a little miffed my boy Hillis was not featured more. But I already commented on that in another thread. One of the things I think McD is doing with rotating so many guys in is A) to keep them fresh B) forces the defense to try and figure out all the different runners rather then quickly figure out the tendencies of one back C) keeps all the runners happy that they are at least getting carries and are a part of the game plan.

I still don't understand the mane's obsession with Hillis. He's a solid role player and a valuable assest to the team. I don't know why people think he's being jobbed because he's not the featured back.

Drek
09-14-2009, 05:19 AM
No runs wide, yes I noticed that. Seemed odd ...

The lack of Peyton Hillis touches is a real problem, can't waste that talent, especially when the offense is struggling ... he's a spark plug.

0707 maybe Buck is not an every down back, but he was knifing up the middle in the first half, and then they went away from it. I liked the safe passes to Graham, he caught 4 passes in 5 plays (though was was nullified by penalty), and had a great diving catch. But then they didn't go to him again ???

Hillis had a needed 3rd down conversion put right in his hands and he failed to catch it. He didn't do much with the few carries he had given to him either. I can see why McDaniels didn't work him in more, got to deliver if you want more touches.

I think Hillis will really break out in this offense, but he like a lot of other guys was very rusty today. Wasn't even a mental thing like route running, it was basic stuff like catching and following your blocks. They'll be ok though, opening day jitters on the road in a new system. They got the win and with it a shot of confidence. McDaniels has them practicing hard and I have faith that Marshall, Hillis, Scheffler, etc. are the kind of guys who take those drops personally and work hard to make sure it doesn't happen next week.

bronco_diesel
09-14-2009, 06:05 AM

I agree with this. I was very impressed with how Buckhalter looked out of the gate.

On a side note, I was wondering why we did not see more Peyton Hillis.

WolfpackGuy
09-14-2009, 06:24 AM
Hillis had a needed 3rd down conversion put right in his hands and he failed to catch it.

You're kidding, right?
Hillis had to turn almost completely around to even get a hand on that one.
If Orton throws an accurate pass to the outside, that's an easy catch and turn upfield.

The MVPlaya
09-14-2009, 06:34 AM
You're kidding, right?
Hillis had to turn almost completely around to even get a hand on that one.
If Orton throws an accurate pass to the outside, that's an easy catch and turn upfield.

Wow... the end of the day that was a catchable pass... especially with someone with as good of hands as Hillis. That's a play Hillis has to make... and that's what they'll be talking about when they watch film... YOU are the ****in idiot if you believe they'll blame it on Orton. Sure - they'll probably mention Orton could put it in motion better... but Hillis failed to the make the catch.

barryr
09-14-2009, 06:42 AM
The o-line is getting more penalties than what I'm used to seeing. It happened during preseason too and in the 1st game. That kills most drives right there. Hamilton was especially having problems there. The holding call on Wiegmann was a phantom call. Maybe they meant it was on Hamilton again or some other OL, but Weigmann didn't hold anybody on that one play he was called for holding.

BroncoBuff
09-14-2009, 07:25 AM
I forgot Hillis dropped that one .... man, even Hillis.

Punisher
09-14-2009, 08:23 AM
Remember last year McD barely went down filed with Cassel in the beginning of the season, You didn't see Cassel throw down the filed until he got used to the offesne.

I think he'll use the same formally for Orton

lex
09-14-2009, 08:31 AM
Wow... the end of the day that was a catchable pass... especially with someone with as good of hands as Hillis. That's a play Hillis has to make... and that's what they'll be talking about when they watch film... YOU are the ****in idiot if you believe they'll blame it on Orton. Sure - they'll probably mention Orton could put it in motion better... but Hillis failed to the make the catch.

Actually, when the watch the film "they" should be punching themselves in the face for calling that play.

Rohirrim
09-14-2009, 08:35 AM
The truth is I had Shanahan's style of play so ingrained in my psyche I'm still in hangover mode. I notice throughout the game that a play will be called that I don't recognize and I have a brief second of cognitive dissonance. But one thing I always loved about Shanahan was his committment to the run. With the Oline we have, I'll be highly disappointed if Coach Munchkin doesn't really lay on the run. We can pound the rock.

And don't forget that old saying about passing: Three things can happen, and two of them are bad.

Quoydogs
09-14-2009, 11:02 AM
The o-line is getting more penalties than what I'm used to seeing. It happened during preseason too and in the 1st game. That kills most drives right there. Hamilton was especially having problems there. The holding call on Wiegmann was a phantom call. Maybe they meant it was on Hamilton again or some other OL, but Weigmann didn't hold anybody on that one play he was called for holding.

When you have to give the QB 15 seconds to throw the ball, holding penalties are going to become a lot more common.

lex
09-14-2009, 11:17 AM
When you have to give the QB 15 seconds to throw the ball, holding penalties are going to become a lot more common.

15 seconds to throw the ball 8 yards.