PDA

View Full Version : Never Reached The Red Zone Today...

Tyrant
09-13-2009, 11:18 PM
...and still won. I'm sure that's happened before, but damn.

BroncoBuff
09-13-2009, 11:19 PM
Yikes, really?

That's just sad.

Clockwork Orange
09-13-2009, 11:20 PM
Stokley passed through it and even lingered a bit. ;D

lex
09-13-2009, 11:21 PM
...and thats how you solve the red zone problem that many have been complaining about.

errand
09-13-2009, 11:23 PM
...and still won. I'm sure that's happened before, but damn.

I recall a snowy Monday night game vs. Green Bay where the Packers fumbled the ball on the opening KO...Broncos returned it for TD. On their next possesion Pakers fumbled first snap...Broncos again scooped it up, returned it for Td.

Elway played pretty pedestrian, while his copunterpart Lynn Dickey threw for tons of yards and two scores...Broncos won 17-14.

not all games are won in the stat book....that's why they play them.

Jason in LA
09-13-2009, 11:38 PM
From my memory only three of their drives crossed the 50. The offense was really bad. Will the defense be able to play like that every week? Probably not. And as great of a play that the Stokely play was, they certainly can't rely on anything like that. The offense has to be able to produce long drives that ends with points. Today they rarely showed that they can do that. It's going to be a problem for the rest of the season. Good thing they get to play Cleveland and Oakland over the next two weeks. They won't be exposed for a while.

BroncoBuff
09-13-2009, 11:40 PM
Good thing they get to play Cleveland and Oakland over the next two weeks. They won't be exposed for a while.

Yeah, and a chance for even more confidence ... momentum is huge, and we have it right now.

Rock Chalk
09-13-2009, 11:42 PM
From my memory only three of their drives crossed the 50. The offense was really bad. Will the defense be able to play like that every week? Probably not. And as great of a play that the Stokely play was, they certainly can't rely on anything like that. The offense has to be able to produce long drives that ends with points. Today they rarely showed that they can do that. It's going to be a problem for the rest of the season. Good thing they get to play Cleveland and Oakland over the next two weeks. They won't be exposed for a while.

So you are assuming the offense is as good as its going to get and we will not improve at all this season.

Expect more of this? For 15 more games?

Come on man.

Popps
09-13-2009, 11:42 PM
FrIt's going to be a problem for the rest of the season. Good thing they get to play Cleveland and Oakland over the next two weeks. They won't be exposed for a while.

So, there's no chance that they'll improve over the next few weeks.... instead, we'll only be "exposed."

Got it.

Wow, I hope we lose soon, or this place is going to implode. A lot of angry people around here. Guess winning will do that to a forum, huh?

ChSuperStar
09-13-2009, 11:49 PM
we don't expect this team to win more than 3-6 games this season, which was beaten down to death before even the season started.. and we have won one of them.. why dont you guys enjoy that.. instead keep bringing up crappy threads.

ok, this is not the first time we saw this team's defense do well.... last 4-5 season most of the time they started winning 4 or 5 games in the first 8-9 games before the defense fell flat..

so all you doubters you will have your chance to yell and scream then.. and blame mcd orton and defense then... so for now enjoy the moment.

For me that play felt like we won a superbowl today and jumped up and down in joy... though it was all luck, but but.. it is my broncos and they won today

barryr
09-14-2009, 06:33 AM
The Cutler-Shanahan fans aren't happy because the Broncos won and the Bears and Cutler didn't. They so wanted to to spew crap about it, so the only thing left is to downgrade the Bronco win.

It's been awhile where one can say the Bronco defense had a big part of a win. It's been awhile and hasn't happened much the last decade where the Bronco offense didn't score a TD until late in the game, but still won the game anyway. In the past, the Broncos had to score at least 17-20 points just to have a shot at a win, especially on the road.

Jason in LA
09-14-2009, 07:19 AM
Well, I don't have faith that it will get better on offense.

It's not McDaniels. I think he's as good as advertised. Well, Xs and Os wise. Time will tell if he can be a good head coach, and not just a good coordinator. But I do have faith in his offensive system.

But I have no faith in Orton, and it has nothing to do with Cutler. A lot of us thought he sucked going into this game, and then to nobody's surprised, he showed up and sucked. He struggled moving the offense. Only crossed the 50 on three drives and never got them into the redzone. A fluke play totally changed the story for him in the game. If that play doesn't happen then there would be nothing to hide his poor play. I don't think he'll ever be able to run McDaniels' system. The passing offense is going to struggle until they can get a legit QB in there to run it.

Now, before anybody tries to hit me with the "you're rooting for them to fail", I'm not. I think anybody rooting for the team to lose just so they can be right is a total loser. I always root for what is in the Broncos best interest, and that's for the team to win. I am on record here, a number of times, saying that I hope that McDaniels and Orton can prove me wrong. That I'm rooting for them to prove me wrong. When Stokely was running down the field I was the loudest person in the sports bar. When I left the bar and I was walking to my car I saw some Broncos fans who watched the game at a different bar and we were giving each other hi 5s because we were so excited for the win. So don't think for a second that I'm rooting against this team, or Orton, so I can be right. But when Orton does fail, I'm certainly going to point it out.

So yes, I do think they will be exposed. I'm not rooting for it. I hope they prove me wrong and that they do improve. But I'll believe when I see it.

BroncoBuff
09-14-2009, 07:48 AM
So, there's no chance that they'll improve over the next few weeks.... instead, we'll only be "exposed."

Got it..

Wow, I hope we lose soon, or this place is going to implode. A lot of angry people around here. Guess winning will do that to a forum, huh?

Jason, Jason, Jason, big mistake. You forgot to ask Popps for permission to say anything other that positive takes.

Popps is walking the beat now, he will yell at you if you get out of line:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_oZwSBXOerBc/SLIt0yaxwFI/AAAAAAAAAG8/jdctXnEBKck/s400/image005.jpg

SoDak Bronco
09-14-2009, 07:51 AM
We were on the wrong side of the field position battle all day, except for a few times (botched snap). I was really disappointed w/Kern's efforts, and eddie royal couldn't get anything going. The cinncy punter did a great job, that guy has a booming leg.

Rohirrim
09-14-2009, 07:53 AM
Cincy won the field position contest the entire game, and then they lost. ;D

Broncos4tw
09-14-2009, 07:59 AM
As long as Orton is our QB, we'll be mediocre. Sweet win, I was laughing and yelling my head off, couldn't believe the finish. But that's probably the worst our offense has looked in... man, I don't know how many years. I lost count of the 3-and-outs.

Rohirrim
09-14-2009, 08:03 AM
Well, I don't have faith that it will get better on offense.

It's not McDaniels. I think he's as good as advertised. Well, Xs and Os wise. Time will tell if he can be a good head coach, and not just a good coordinator. But I do have faith in his offensive system.

But I have no faith in Orton, and it has nothing to do with Cutler. A lot of us thought he sucked going into this game, and then to nobody's surprised, he showed up and sucked. He struggled moving the offense. Only crossed the 50 on three drives and never got them into the redzone. A fluke play totally changed the story for him in the game. If that play doesn't happen then there would be nothing to hide his poor play. I don't think he'll ever be able to run McDaniels' system. The passing offense is going to struggle until they can get a legit QB in there to run it.

Now, before anybody tries to hit me with the "you're rooting for them to fail", I'm not. I think anybody rooting for the team to lose just so they can be right is a total loser. I always root for what is in the Broncos best interest, and that's for the team to win. I am on record here, a number of times, saying that I hope that McDaniels and Orton can prove me wrong. That I'm rooting for them to prove me wrong. When Stokely was running down the field I was the loudest person in the sports bar. When I left the bar and I was walking to my car I saw some Broncos fans who watched the game at a different bar and we were giving each other hi 5s because we were so excited for the win. So don't think for a second that I'm rooting against this team, or Orton, so I can be right. But when Orton does fail, I'm certainly going to point it out.

So yes, I do think they will be exposed. I'm not rooting for it. I hope they prove me wrong and that they do improve. But I'll believe when I see it.

I'm not sure what to think of Orton's performance because of the finger issue. I also don't know if the playbook wasn't adapted accordingly. But it's a W. I doubt that anyone other than Kyle's mom thinks he's the QB of the future for Denver. I've always been of the opinion that D can win games when the O can't. I still believe that's true. Fans who are more offense oriented seem to care much more about who the QB is. Fans of defense (like moi) are less concerned. McD comes from a system that rides the screenplay to SBs. I think Orton can handle that. Anyway, it seems to me the offense isn't quite hitting on all cylinders yet. There's more cohesion in the D. That's usually true early in the season. But the bird in the bush that Denver holds is that Oline. Get rid of the ticky tack fouls that got called on them and the picture changes. To me, it all starts with the line. I don't doubt when they get in synch we'll be pounding the rock and that will make Orton better.

Hopefully the D can play lights out and Chicago goes down the tubes. Then, we can meet next April and discuss QBs. ;D

oubronco
09-14-2009, 08:07 AM
Jason, Jason, Jason, big mistake. You forgot to ask Popps for permission to say anything other that positive takes.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_oZwSBXOerBc/SLIt0yaxwFI/AAAAAAAAAG8/jdctXnEBKck/s400/image005.jpg

**** him LOL

Jason in LA
09-14-2009, 11:35 PM
I'm going to get on my soapbox for a minute. I find it comical that some posters around here, who are in total support of Orton, will act all high and mighty when others question Orton. They'll say things like people not in support of Orton hopes that he will fail, or that the team will lose. Like that's what we want. But some of these same people will opening root against Brandon Marshall. They hoped that he wouldn't play at all for the Broncos this year, even though he can greatly help this team, and mostly Orton. Then they point out that he didn't have a good game. So they pretty much give anybody crap for complaining about Orton's struggles, but they give themselves a free pass to root against Marshall. I find that very funny. If you're going to call out people for not supporting Orton, then you better support Marshall because he's on the team and he can help the team win.

Now, I'm not making any statement in support or against Marshall. I'm just pointing out that some people are guilty of the same thing that they are accusing others of doing.

watermock
09-14-2009, 11:41 PM
In other words, Hitler Youth.

Yeah, we beat Poland!

Taco John
09-15-2009, 12:39 AM
I'm not sure what to think of Orton's performance because of the finger issue.

If any QB isn't well enough to make every pass he needs to in order for thier offense to be successful, shouldn't they be on the sidelines healing up?

I don't think that McDaniels would put Orton in the game if he didn't think Orton was healthy enough to make the passes he needs to, or risked a set back to the finger.

I think Orton's problem out there had less to do with his finger, and more to do with the combination of it being his first real game in a new system, on a new team. Not to mention the typical opening day jitters.

I am not terribly confident in Orton, but I think it's way too early to make any judgements about his ability to run Josh's offense. Once he calms down and finds his rhythm, along with the rest of the team, then we'll be able to evaluate. But anything before October seems impatient to me.

Popps
09-15-2009, 12:46 AM
If any QB isn't well enough to make every pass he needs to in order for thier offense to be successful, shouldn't they be on the sidelines healing up?

I don't think that McDaniels would put Orton in the game if he didn't think Orton was healthy enough to make the passes he needs to, or risked a set back to the finger.

I think Orton's problem out there had less to do with his finger, and more to do with the combination of it being his first real game in a new system, on a new team. Not to mention the typical opening day jitters.

I am not terribly confident in Orton, but I think it's way too early to make any judgements about his ability to run Josh's offense. Once he calms down and finds his rhythm, along with the rest of the team, then we'll be able to evaluate. But anything before October seems impatient to me.

What he said.

Popps
09-15-2009, 12:50 AM
I find that very funny. If you're going to call out people for not supporting Orton, then you better support Marshall because he's on the team and he can help the team win.

Now, I'm not making any statement in support or against Marshall. I'm just pointing out that some people are guilty of the same thing that they are accusing others of doing.

I don't think anyone thinks Orton had a great game, nor does anyone think the offense had a great game.

But, there's a difference between critiquing flaws in our offensive game on Sunday, and people literally within MINUTES of us winning... throwing up "piss on the parade" threads out of apparent anger that we didn't win their way.

I think every can tolerate a realistic opinion of what we saw on Sunday. But, the team-bashing and the "just wait until we lose, then you'll see" business is what people object to.

Vastly different things, and very easy to identify which is which.

BroncoBuff
09-15-2009, 01:03 AM
I'm going to get on my soapbox for a minute. I find it comical that some posters around here, who are in total support of Orton, will act all high and mighty when others question Orton. They'll say things like people not in support of Orton hopes that he will fail, or that the team will lose. Like that's what we want. But some of these same people will opening root against Brandon Marshall. They hoped that he wouldn't play at all for the Broncos this year, even though he can greatly help this team, and mostly Orton. Then they point out that he didn't have a good game. So they pretty much give anybody crap for complaining about Orton's struggles, but they give themselves a free pass to root against Marshall. I find that very funny.
Great points ... that Marshall logic has been right in front of our noses all this time but we didn't make the connection.

You find these hostile attitudes funny and comical, okay, but many of us think it's gone beyond that. There's some very mean-spirited Joe McCarthys around here, telling people they're 'bad fans' if we don't agree with their opinions.

But I will say the tide is finally turning against Orton. A month ago, I had maybe three guys agreeing Simms was more deserving, nobody said squawk against Orton. It was like the emperor who wore no clothes, just me and a handful of others seemed to notice. But yesterday there were several anti-Orton threads started, even after a WIN.

Can't make a QB change now, the momentum is too strong. And Kyle is not exactly awful. But I really look forward to seeing Simms play, he's better than Orton, and he will prove it eventually.

BroncoBuff
09-15-2009, 01:08 AM

Problem with this reasoning is that Kyle was the same guy yesterday as he's been all preseason ... timid, physically limited, and no real threat to a defense. He did avoid interceptions this time, he deserves credit for that. But excusing yesterday as "jitters" seems to miss the point, the point Kyle has been making himself all Summer long, that he's average at best.

Let's just hope the Bears keep losing, we really need a franchise quarterback, and next year's draft is loaded.

watermock
09-15-2009, 01:08 AM
At least we USED to GET in the redzone.

Also, expect more holding penalties.

watermock
09-15-2009, 01:11 AM
Let's just hope the Bears keep losing, we really need a franchise quarterback, and next year's draft is loaded.

Don't count on it. Beavis will be intent on developing the next Tom B.

Dagmar
09-15-2009, 08:03 AM

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm296/macrosgalore/potmeetkettle.jpg

Dagmar
09-15-2009, 08:10 AM
Don't count on it. Beavis will be intent on developing the next Tom B.

http://i42.tinypic.com/a41jlg.gif

Moron.

Jason in LA
09-15-2009, 09:24 AM
Great points ... that Marshall logic has been right in front of our noses all this time but we didn't make the connection.

You find these hostile attitudes funny and comical, okay, but many of us think it's gone beyond that. There's some very mean-spirited Joe McCarthys around here, telling people they're 'bad fans' if we don't agree with their opinions.

But I will say the tide is finally turning against Orton. A month ago, I had maybe three guys agreeing Simms was more deserving, nobody said squawk against Orton. It was like the emperor who wore no clothes, just me and a handful of others seemed to notice. But yesterday there were several anti-Orton threads started, even after a WIN.

Can't make a QB change now, the momentum is too strong. And Kyle is not exactly awful. But I really look forward to seeing Simms play, he's better than Orton, and he will prove it eventually.

I agree. I just think that people need to be consistent. I'm against anybody that opening roots against any aspect of the team. Being critical of certain aspects of the team or certain players is fine. Rooting for that part of the team or that player to fail is not being a fan.

People who will point the finger at the folks who are against Orton, and then opening root against Marshall, are just as bad as the people rooting for Orton to fail. They are doing the same exact thing. There were people who were saying that McDaniels should sit Marshall for the entire season just to teach him a lesson. Yeah, like that's going to help the team. I bet a lot of those folks would love for Marshall to have a bad year.

The whole thing is silly.

colonelbeef
09-15-2009, 01:42 PM
I agree. I just think that people need to be consistent. I'm against anybody that opening roots against any aspect of the team. Being critical of certain aspects of the team or certain players is fine. Rooting for that part of the team or that player to fail is not being a fan.

People who will point the finger at the folks who are against Orton, and then opening root against Marshall, are just as bad as the people rooting for Orton to fail. They are doing the same exact thing. There were people who were saying that McDaniels should sit Marshall for the entire season just to teach him a lesson. Yeah, like that's going to help the team. I bet a lot of those folks would love for Marshall to have a bad year.

The whole thing is silly.

I think I speak for the majority of pessimistic Broncos fans when I say that I am not 'against' Orton, I just accept the reality that he sucks, and the Broncos will not be able to win a championship so long as he is the QB.

Therefore, I want him gone, not because I hate him personally, but because I love the Broncos and want them to win more than anything else in sports.

Taco John
09-15-2009, 04:42 PM
I think I speak for the majority of pessimistic Broncos fans when I say that I am not 'against' Orton, I just accept the reality that he sucks, and the Broncos will not be able to win a championship so long as he is the QB.

Therefore, I want him gone, not because I hate him personally, but because I love the Broncos and want them to win more than anything else in sports.

I know what you're saying man. I've been there. But the thing is, a lot of people aren't even giving him a chance. It's one thing to be doubtful. But it's an entirely different thing to just flat not give the guy a chance.

I know what you're saying. I felt exactly like you felt when I came to the exact same conclusion on another quarterback. But man, I gave that guy two full years of playing time before coming to a firm conclusion on him. You're not even giving Orton a couple of games.

I think that you're probably right that Orton isn't the answer - but I think that he's at least the answer to this season. It's not like we've got a sure thing waiting on deck to take his place. For better or worse, Kyle Orton gives this team the best chance to win right now.

The least that anyone could do right now is cut him the break that they'd cut anyone who is starting in a new system on a new team.

rugbythug
09-15-2009, 05:08 PM
Orton's Debut against cinci was better than Plummers. Lest we forget that 3 Pick fiesta that we still somehow won.

Orton did not really play that poorly. The Drops were brutal. Not just that they happened but when nearly all on 3rd down.

DarkHorse30
09-15-2009, 07:43 PM
Orton's Debut against cinci was better than Plummers. Lest we forget that 3 Pick fiesta that we still somehow won.

Orton did not really play that poorly. The Drops were brutal. Not just that they happened but when nearly all on 3rd down.

The other thing that killed me was that horrible non-call when Stokely was mugged on the first drive.

The refs are REALLY stepping up their flag waving this year. Lots of drives with phantom holding calls and dumb calls about OTs not far enough up on the line of scrimmage.