PDA

View Full Version : Should we give Orton another week or start Simms?

ludo21
09-13-2009, 03:30 PM
Was Orton that bad or was the injury still lingering? I dont know but he looked awful today...

KevinJames
09-13-2009, 03:31 PM
gotta give him the home opener if the glove is off

Gcver2ver3
09-13-2009, 03:31 PM
when will it stop...

go_broncos
09-13-2009, 03:32 PM
We need to give it to Tom B

BroncoBuff
09-13-2009, 03:32 PM
He looked bad, but for sheer momentum's sake, no change yet imo.

We should beat the Browns on pure momentum after this.

footstepsfrom#27
09-13-2009, 03:33 PM
Neither.

"We" have nothing to do with it. McD will start him next week guaranteed...but I don't see this guy making it through the year without seeing the bench.

meangene
09-13-2009, 03:34 PM
Unbelievable! The guy played with a major injury, managed the game well (except for the one sack he took), did not turn the ball over and had numerous passes dropped and drives stopped by penalties. And, we won. Get a clue!

ZONA
09-13-2009, 03:35 PM
I think if you want to sit down Orton you better sit down the rest of the O because the entire group didn't play that well. Hopefully they can work things out this week in practice because all the 2nd half penalties were sad and kept us from taking control of this game.

27atwater
09-13-2009, 03:35 PM
Other than taking that sack, what did he do wrong? Should he have run 30 yards downfield and handed the ball to BMarsh? Dude wasn't great, but he was hardly the problem. W/ a bum hand and the first real game w/ the whole playbook (or at least most of it), I think he was fine. The drops hurt.

BroncoBuff
09-13-2009, 03:37 PM
Other than taking that sack, what did he do wrong? Should he have run 30 yards downfield and handed the ball to BMarsh? Dude wasn't great, but he was hardly the problem. W/ a bum hand and the first real game w/ the whole playbook (or at least most of it), I think he was fine. The drops hurt.

Dude ... the miracle was just his SECOND TD in a Broncos uniform. 12 quarters with our starting offense, and just 2 TDs including that miracle? Unacceptable. He has no fire, no urgency.

I don't advocate a change now because of the momentum, but we would've won easily today had Chris Simms started.

meangene
09-13-2009, 03:39 PM
Dude ... the miracle was just his SECOND TD in a Broncos uniform. 12 quarters with our starting offense, and just 2 TDs including that miracle? Unacceptable. He has no fire, no urgency.

I don't advocate a change now because of the momentum, but we would've won easily today had Chris Simms started.

Only if he could catch his own passes.

27atwater
09-13-2009, 03:39 PM

Did he drop 7 passes or throw 7 balls that were dropped? Please let me know, cuz I really wanna blame him for the drops.

1998Eternal
09-13-2009, 03:40 PM
Id agree if he was a rookie, but hes just continuing what he was doing in Chicago, only difference is it's our burden now.

lostknight
09-13-2009, 03:41 PM
Simms should start. But Orton has the blackmail photo.

meangene
09-13-2009, 03:41 PM
Id agree if he was a rookie, but hes just continuing what he was doing in Chicago, only difference is it's our burden now.

1-0 so far as our starter.

Bronx33
09-13-2009, 03:43 PM
Just end it now :Fire orton let the rookie get his time in and put sims in at back up...

Bronx33
09-13-2009, 03:45 PM
Was Orton that bad or was the injury still lingering? I dont know but he looked awful today...

His finger injury has nothing to do with his receiver selection or his scrambling skills and i will leave it at that.

broncofan7
09-13-2009, 03:45 PM
Kyle Orton is the THIRD best QB on our roster--a performance like he has displayed every time he has suited up as a Bronco will not win against CLE this Sunday. It was refreshing to see McD jump his A$$ after taking that horrendous sack in the 4th qtr costing us a FG attempt that would have put the game away. He is nothing more than a 3rd team QB.......

Bronx33
09-13-2009, 03:46 PM
1-0 so far as our starter.

Hopefully we don't have to depend on a deflected pass everygame :P

ZONA
Nothing new here on Orton. He wasn't great but wasn't bad. I think it's still to early to be calling for his head. I think he needs 4 games under his belt to evaluate how things are going. You can't really count pre-season games because everybody is trying to learn totally new stuff and get used to each other. We're not gonna win the superbowl anyway so why the hurry to bench him? If he's not getting this team in the endzone through his own faults in the next few weeks, I think Josh wouldn't hesitate at all to put Simms in there.

Kinda funny though, what Orton did today is what he did do in Chicago, win ugly. Hahahaha.

MplsBronco

At least try to be original, loser.

Garcia Bronco
09-13-2009, 03:48 PM
Orton played well in the seco d half. Those penalities were BS. Whenever the defense jumps the line and cause the offense to move it's a penaliy on the defense and Hamilton didn't even move. I was disgusted. Take away that crap and we still probably get a fieldgoal. Then the refs were ready to just take 18 seconds off the play clock. The Begals held often and had numerous blocks in the back uncalled. The Boncos beat the bullehit today.

Popps
Guys usually don't get benched after 17/28 240 1 TD and no INTS... and a win.

Especially when they did it with a torn up throwing finger.

Again, he may not be the long-term answer, but you people may as well just get over it, for now. He'll be the starter for the conceivable future.

Broncoman13
I'm more concerned with how our OL and running game looked than I am with Kyle "Stare Down" Orton.

Bronx33
At least try to be original, loser.

your actually saying ludo should be original? stfu will ya.

Garcia Bronco
09-13-2009, 03:49 PM
iPhone keyboards suck

Kid A
I think if you want to sit down Orton you better sit down the rest of the O because the entire group didn't play that well. Hopefully they can work things out this week in practice because all the 2nd half penalties were sad and kept us from taking control of this game.

Exactly. No doubt Orton played bad, but it wasn't 5-turnover-meltdown bad (Delhomme anyone?). Hell, he finished with a 100 QB rating or something like that. Give him at least a couple weeks in a new offense (and hopefully an improving injured finger) before calling for him to be benched.

meangene
Hopefully we don't have to depend on a deflected pass everygame :P

Naw, I can't see our receivers continuing to drop passes like today or the offense taking so many critical penalties.

BroncoBuff
09-13-2009, 03:50 PM
Exactly. No doubt Orton played bad, but it wasn't 5-turnover-meltdown bad (Delhomme anyone?). Hell, he finished with a 100 QB rating or something like that. Give him at least a couple weeks in a new offense (and hopefully an improving injured finger) before calling for him to be benched.

Yeah, if he avoids all the picks, we might have a season yet.

The other 10-12 regulars on offense can carry the load, like a no-mistake-Jake recipe.

broncofan
09-13-2009, 03:51 PM
I think Orton has to go again next week. If McD is considering pulling him this quickly then he should have never been our starter to begin with. I'll agree that he looked equally as poor as he did in the offseason, which provides no evidence that he is ready to turn it around...but who knows how much the injury to his finger played a roll today. Beyond that...I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that throwing with a glove on as well as some plastic apparatus underneath the glove further magnified his weaknesses as a QB.

bombay
09-13-2009, 03:52 PM

Again, he may not be the long-term answer, but you people may as well just get over it, for now. He'll be the starter for the conceivable future.

I can conceive a very long future. Hope you meant forseeable.

8')

And sorry.

Bronx33
09-13-2009, 03:52 PM
Naw, I can't see our receivers continuing to drop passes like today or the offense taking so many critical penalties.

would it really have made a difference in the score and iam just thinking realistically?

1998Eternal
09-13-2009, 03:53 PM
1-0 because of STOKLEY showing Orton how an NFL veteran should be performing.
1-0 because of STOKLEY, not because of Ortons 12-quarter dry spell.

Victor
09-13-2009, 03:55 PM
As bad as he looked, Orton had a 100.7 qb rating. Palmer's was 61.0.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending his ragged play, but he performed to his resume...he didn't lose the game.

Bronx33
09-13-2009, 03:58 PM
Iam just going to wait and see with orton and iam hoping for the best based on players respond differently when they are moved to new teams.

meangene
would it really have made a difference in the score and iam just thinking realistically?

I think absolutely. Just that holding call on Buckhalter's run at the end of the fourth took a minimum of three points off the board or the game was over right there. Marshall's whiff on the deep ball would have put us in scoring range. I can think of at least three dropped passes on third downs that ended drives. How many second half holding calls put us in long yardage situations?

1998Eternal
Orton just strikes me as nervous and uncomfortable ever time he gets the pig skin in his hands.

Bronx33
09-13-2009, 03:59 PM
I think absolutely. Just that holding call on Buckhalter's run at the end of the fourth took a minimum of three points off the board or the game was over right there. Marshall's whiff on the deep ball would have put us in scoring range. I can think of at least three dropped passes on third downs that ended drives. How many second half holding calls put us in long yardage situations?

who knows brother i guess we wait and see.

Gcver2ver3
09-13-2009, 04:00 PM
Unbelievable! The guy played with a major injury, managed the game well (except for the one sack he took), did not turn the ball over and had numerous passes dropped and drives stopped by penalties. And, we won. Get a clue!

this...

and only this...

meangene
09-13-2009, 04:02 PM
who knows brother i guess we wait and see.

Give this offense some time. A lot of injuries and guys who missed a lot of preseason. It's only week 1. Gotta be thrilled with the defense and special teams!

27atwater
09-13-2009, 04:03 PM
1-0 because of STOKLEY showing Orton how an NFL veteran should be performing.
1-0 because of STOKLEY, not because of Ortons 12-quarter dry spell.

Stokley had the dropsies today too until that last play. The blame goes all around.

Kid A
09-13-2009, 04:04 PM
Yeah, if he avoids all the picks, we might have a season yet.

The other 10-12 regulars on offense can carry the load, like a no-mistake-Jake recipe.

Yep. Obviously he can't be missing wide open receivers on third and long or leading Royal into crushing hits, but avoiding turnovers is half the battle IMO.

broncofan4life
09-13-2009, 04:14 PM
Orton SUCKS I cant wait to boo him next week vs CLV besides the last play did he throw a pass more than 15 yards teams are just playing there safeies up and jumping all short routes and leaving no room for are running game

Popps
09-13-2009, 04:17 PM
Orton SUCKS I cant wait to boo him next week vs CLV besides the last play did he throw a pass more than 15 yards teams are just playing there safeies up and jumping all short routes and leaving no room for are running game

Yea, I know... booing Broncos players is awesome!

I hope he fails, too!

Yay!

Popps
09-13-2009, 04:19 PM
Give this offense some time. A lot of injuries and guys who missed a lot of preseason. It's only week 1. Gotta be thrilled with the defense and special teams!

That's the thing...

I would have been much more discouraged with a poor performance from the D/STs today.

The offense is complex, our QB is hurt and we're adjusting to a new running scheme.

I think the O will get better with time, regardless of who is at QB.

We also need to figure out if Brandon Marshall wants to play, or if he's going to half-ass it all year. If he is, we need to get him out of the lineup. He was practically a liability out there.

ScottXray
09-13-2009, 04:23 PM
Orton will get the start next week. And if the receivers keep dropping balls he'll continue starting unless he starts making more mistakes. But if he keeps playing this way he'll get the hook eventually, As (pointed out) McD got on him about that sack . That was an opportunity lost, that didn't need to be.

Not sure if he was having some problems with his throwing hand today...maybe the glove was sticking a bit and thats why he had some passes batted at the line. Of course last years QB did the same thing some times so maybe it was just the way things went.

ludo21
09-13-2009, 04:23 PM
If he is so hurt he doesnt deserve to be in there.

He kept throwing to players only so they got smashed, and his 1 TD is pure luck.

He didnt lose us this game, but he sure tried to by taking a poor timed sack. He will get another week, I agree, and I hope he can come out with more than ! luck TD at home.

1998Eternal
09-13-2009, 04:26 PM
Not so much thrilled with the defense as i am with the bungels botched passes.

Popcorn Sutton
09-13-2009, 04:27 PM
Orton played well in the seco d half. Those penalities were BS. Whenever the defense jumps the line and cause the offense to move it's a penaliy on the defense and Hamilton didn't even move. I was disgusted. Take away that crap and we still probably get a fieldgoal. Then the refs were ready to just take 18 seconds off the play clock. The Begals held often and had numerous blocks in the back uncalled. The Boncos beat the bullehit today.

Speaking of penalties... I was kind of disgusted at the chop block called on Moreno. It appears the Refs will call a penalty if one player blocks a defender and the other has a hand on their shoulder. I don't know, it seemed a bit weak to me.

Popcorn Sutton
09-13-2009, 04:29 PM

Classy.

RunSilentRunDeep
09-13-2009, 04:29 PM
No Denver quarterback shall be judged until they play under the protection of Super Kuper.

ZONA
09-13-2009, 04:32 PM

Yup, that's what I am saying also. You can't evaluate one guy alone when there were plenty of offensive mistakes occurring, each having an impact on how people evaluate the other players. What if we didn't have holding calls, would Orton have continued that one drive for a TD? We don't know.

None the less, he's the starter next week whether some like it or not. He'll get at least 4 games as the starter I'm almost sure of it, before McD would think to make the move of replacing him.

ScottXray
09-13-2009, 04:34 PM
Speaking of penalties... I was kind of disgusted at the chop block called on Moreno. It appears the Refs will call a penalty if one player blocks a defender and the other has a hand on their shoulder. I don't know, it seemed a bit weak to me.

Definitely was ticky tack...there was no chop block. Moreno took him clean and another linemen came in AFTER he was on the ground.

Officials were pretty bad the whole game. Actually the PI on Ocho was ticky tack too, but technically correct (ocho put his arm on Bailey, but didn't give much if any push.. No contact is no contact though.)

ludo21
09-13-2009, 04:36 PM
that chop block was complete BS!! I agree!

Once our OL gets completely healthy Orton will look better, I agree there as well

BroncoBuff
09-13-2009, 04:37 PM
Looked waist-high to me, is that a penalty? I don't think so....

Once our OL gets completely healthy Orton will look better, I agree there as well
Bad alibi I think ... Hochstein played pretty well, when I was watching him anyway.

elsid13
09-13-2009, 04:38 PM
I think Orton has to go again next week. If McD is considering pulling him this quickly then he should have never been our starter to begin with. I'll agree that he looked equally as poor as he did in the offseason, which provides no evidence that he is ready to turn it around...but who knows how much the injury to his finger played a roll today. Beyond that...I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that throwing with a glove on as well as some plastic apparatus underneath the glove further magnified his weaknesses as a QB.

I want to say it was his injury, but he checked down or made to many the wrong reads to use that excuse.

BroncoBuff
09-13-2009, 04:40 PM
I want to say it was his injury, but he checked down or made the wrong reads to use that excuse.

Agreed ... but we can't jump the gun. This miracle and the momentum could have a critical mass of some kind ... as much as i love Simms, not just now.

If Orton looks bad in the first half next week, maybe then. But announcing a change now could undercut the mood.

uplink
09-13-2009, 05:00 PM
He won so he stays

1998Eternal
09-13-2009, 05:11 PM
Difference between playing through the pain and putting your team in jeopardy of getting the big L.

Broncos4tw
09-13-2009, 05:16 PM
Wow.. I didn't realize they sold rose-colored glasses quite that tinted.

Orton is BAD. He isn't even average at this point, which I was giving him credit for. He is B-A-D. Under thrown receivers, no presence to throw the damn ball away instead of getting a sack (he threw the ball away 0 times, but took 3 sacks), he locks onto receivers, telegraphing plays: he had two tipped passes by virtue of this today.

He is NOT GOOD folks! omg.. how anyone could say he was "good" just blows my mind. He had a TERRIBLE day. He had one drive.. ONE.. where he had AVERAGE passes, mostly to short short receivers.. and he is suddenly good? Are you effing kidding me?

He can't scramble. Play action is gone because of this. He is worse than Griese. My brother even yelled more than once during the game.. "omg.. this dude is worse than Griese!" Which is true, at least Griese could manage a short pass. Which is perhaps why he was benched for him.

We are 1-0 by virtue of his crappniess, ironically enough. Don't expect that again. As we move to the actual decent playoff contender teams, expect to get our butts kicked, repeately.

How anyone could defend Orton after his massively crappy game just boggles my mind. Wow.

broncogary
09-13-2009, 05:19 PM

At the combine, they said he had the best "throwing finger" of the group. :wiggle:

mizzoutigers
09-13-2009, 05:21 PM
hey popps, you can essentially delete 80 yards and the TD from his stat line

BroncoBuff
09-13-2009, 05:25 PM

Exactly, he conveniently adds that play as if it was a part of a long, workmanlike performance :~ohyah!:

The real stat I see - for fear of being branded a "BAD FAN" - is that this miracle was just Kyle's second TD so far in Denver.

1998Eternal
09-13-2009, 05:26 PM
Orton hasent even given room for one to have any amount of hope. Hes just B A D. Who knows maybe he will bust out and become decent butttttt doubtful.

BioCore
09-13-2009, 05:27 PM

LOL, sweet jesus.

How in gods name can you justify deleting that from the stat line seeing as it actually did happen?

BroncoBuff
09-13-2009, 05:30 PM
LOL, sweet jesus.

How in gods name can you justify deleting that from the stat line seeing as it actually did happen?

It's akin to ERA in baseball ... they call it EARNED runs for a reason.

Of course those yards count, but it's a distorted picture. Surprised you disagree...

cartel
09-13-2009, 05:32 PM
cutler lovers eat a ****. orton played fine, showing he can suck it up and make plays even with a freakin dislocated finger. the receivers didn't help, o-line didn't do much, and our running game stunk. let's see, marshall looked disinterested and lost, moreno looked out of control, stokely and orton have not been on the same page just like preseason, orton fired a bulllet to schef but dropped, hillis dropped a key third down, and if that holding call didn't happen, the game would've been over. kudos to buck, graham, and the entire defense, they played great. orton will be fine but keep crying haters, it will be a long season for you.

Rigs11
09-13-2009, 05:32 PM

Yeah he threw a 40 yarder and it went right through marshalls hands. But it was ortons fault dammit!

RhymesayersDU
09-13-2009, 05:33 PM
We need to give it to Tom B

This.

BRANDSTATER!

lex
09-13-2009, 05:33 PM

He had time.

BioCore
09-13-2009, 05:34 PM
The fact is Popps posted Orton's stats for the game (17/28 240 1 TD and no INTS) which aren't debateable

You can't pick and choose to cut out stats to justify your belief, by doing that you could make any QB look horrible. Its completely ridiculous

lex
09-13-2009, 05:35 PM
They really need to win these early games. They cant **** around and not put their best foot forward.

footstepsfrom#27
09-13-2009, 05:44 PM
The fact is Popps posted Orton's stats for the game (17/28 240 1 TD and no INTS) which aren't debateable

You can't pick and choose to cut out stats to justify your belief, by doing that you could make any QB look horrible. Its completely ridiculous
Ordinarily that's true, but every now and then it's not. This is one of those times. His true stat line should read 16/28 153 yards, which equates to 5.46 yards per pass, about the same as he did in Chicago.

Stats are meant to measure performance accurately, not pump up the players game beyond what it really was.

Orton struggled with finding receivers, threw into coverage with open receivers, has difficulty avoiding the rush and hung recievers out to dry for big htis. He got insanely luck and got himself a win. That's great and we're all glad but let's keep it accurate and in perspective. This offense has a very long way to go to even be close to competitive, and the QB spot is the main reason for that. The good news is the defense looks like they can at least desent, which means much improved from last year.

RhymesayersDU
09-13-2009, 05:45 PM

OK, fair enough, you can't just cherry pick stats to suit your interests.

But let me ask you; if you were describing that play to a person who hadn't seen it. What would you say? That it was an incredible pass by Orton, intended for Stokley, that found an open spot in the defense, etc? Probably not.

So yes, that 80+ yards and a TD are credited to Orton.... But let's be real, it was a fluke play. I mean, it's easy for people to say "oh we won" and stuff, but through 59 1/2 minutes, our offense put up 6 points. We got another lucky 7 on a play we'll never see again in our lifetime. Does that make Orton good all of a sudden? Lots of players have made 1 big play in their career.

Drek
09-13-2009, 05:55 PM

Finger had nothing to do with it. Orton's passes where coming out well and mostly going where he aimed them. His biggest problem was just poor reads, often not getting through his progressions quickly enough.

This is to be expected though. Matt Cassel looked like dog **** as the #1 in pre-season for the Pats last year (when Brady sat out), and had the same problems early after Brady went down. McDaniels' passing game is intricate and tough to learn, it'll take Orton a few more weeks to get truly comfortable.

McDaniels will give him until the bye week as long as we win games we should win (our next two in fact). If he's made some decent progress he'll keep the job. If not its very likely Simms gets a shot starting with Baltimore.

There was no excuse for the last sack Orton took though, and it has nothing to do with knowing the system. If he makes basically any more mistakes like that his starting job is in serious jeopardy.

Moon§hiner
09-13-2009, 06:00 PM
Lets wait until Orton gift wraps 3 interceptions in the first quarter, with the other team being so shocked they drop the first two before we send him to the bench

gyldenlove
09-13-2009, 06:03 PM
Orton needs at least another week. It is always hard to gauge based on week 1. If he can't plaster Cleveland next week we might be talking about it, but he definitely should start.

Drek
09-13-2009, 06:06 PM
Lets wait until Orton gift wraps 3 interceptions in the first quarter, with the other team being so shocked they drop the first two before we send him to the bench

Won't happen. Orton is a ball protection QB. He keeps his passes low and on the opposite side of his WR from coverage, even if that makes for a tough catch. He'll take a sack before he puts up a bad pass. He isn't the kind of guy who throws three picks in a quarter, or anything close to it.

That doesn't matter though. If he's still failing to find the right reads next week and the week after his job will be in serious jeopardy.

zdoor
09-13-2009, 06:06 PM

Of which 70 yards and a TD was on a miracle.

He shouldn't be benched yet but 2 TD since he's been a Bronco is horrible. One more game to pull it together or he should be benched.

colonelbeef
09-13-2009, 06:07 PM
Why are people still doubting whether or not Kyle Orton is a good QB?

He is terrible, no two ways about it

Garcia Bronco
09-13-2009, 06:08 PM

It was questionable.

zdoor
09-13-2009, 06:10 PM
As bad as he looked, Orton had a 100.7 qb rating. Palmer's was 61.0.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending his ragged play, but he performed to his resume...he didn't lose the game.

Take the miracle out and it goes down considerably.

Moon§hiner
09-13-2009, 06:30 PM
Maybe wait until Orton throws 2 interceptions in the first half of a real game....then we'll have a good thread

chawknz
09-13-2009, 06:31 PM
Orton is going no where but the bench. Bring in Simms.

cartel
09-13-2009, 06:36 PM
not going to happen, hand picked by mcd.

Moon§hiner
09-13-2009, 06:40 PM
Maybe wait until Orton throws 2 interceptions in the first half of a real game....then we'll have a good thread

Edit...three interceptions in the first half of a real game...then we'll have a good thread

Hulamau
09-13-2009, 06:43 PM
I'm more concerned with how our OL and running game looked than I am with Kyle "Stare Down" Orton.

We need all five of our starters on the line this year, at least until the O gets in sync. Orton gets a partial pass, Orton wasn't the main problem anyway. He had a plastic splint, stitches and a glove on his passing hand not to mention a numb index finger.

He'll get a few weeks to get it all together and hopefully Kuper comes back and Marshall some how finds some Moxie and I suspect the whole Offensive looks a damn site better ... including Orton.

I'm just Soooooo Damn Grateful a few of you knee-jerkin wrist-slitters aren't running Dove Valley :-)!! :strong:

ro_50
09-13-2009, 06:48 PM
Orton was off on his passes at times today and his WRs did drop a lot of pass, especially Marshall but I'll wait until the first quarter of the season is done before I make a judgment on either he or Simms should be QB.

But if he plays like this the next 3 weeks, McD would have to consider Simms at least.

gyldenlove
09-13-2009, 06:57 PM
It was questionable.

That is what they always do. If one player goes low and another player just gives a really stern look or god forbid touches the defender they call it a chop block, had a few calls like that last year too.

Wes Mantooth
09-13-2009, 07:02 PM
give it time. Every team pretty much sucked offensively this weekend.

Hulamau
09-13-2009, 07:25 PM
Should Chicago bench Cutler now that he's stunk up the first half far worse than Orton?? :-)

Similar knee jerk idiot logic.

BroncoBuff
09-13-2009, 07:32 PM
Should Chicago bench Cutler now that he's stunk up the first half far worse than Orton?? :-)

Similar knee jerk idiot logic.

Big difference there. Cutler is showing a command of the field, throwing deep, scrambling. Orton is timid and physically limited. And it's not the finger, he's been like that all preseason.

Garcia Bronco
09-13-2009, 07:38 PM
Big difference there. Cutler is showing a command of the field, throwing deep, scrambling. Orton is timid and physically limited. And it's not the finger, he's been like that all preseason.

That's true.

Atwater His Ass
09-13-2009, 07:52 PM
I think you have to give Orton another 2-3 weeks before you pull the plug.

The guy is a veteran QB and McD has a good idea of what to expect from him. If he can't live up to that after 3-4 starts, then it's time to move in a different direction.

Victor
09-13-2009, 08:12 PM
Take the miracle out and it goes down considerably.

It doesn't work that way...the stats are the stats. The guy won the game. I know that this fact is ruining the nights of many on the board.

What exactly did you all want? Were you unhappy with the win? I've never heard so much bitching after a win in my life.

lex
09-13-2009, 08:15 PM
I think you have to give Orton another 2-3 weeks before you pull the plug.

The guy is a veteran QB and McD has a good idea of what to expect from him. If he can't live up to that after 3-4 starts, then it's time to move in a different direction.

The problem with that is the next couple of weeks are winnable games and they need to win them.

lex
09-13-2009, 08:17 PM
It doesn't work that way...the stats are the stats. The guy won the game. I know that this fact is ruining the nights of many on the board.

What exactly did you all want? Were you unhappy with the win? I've never heard so much b****ing after a win in my life.

No one is saying the stats dont count. The point thats being made is that the stats dont represent how someone performed.

Atwater His Ass
09-13-2009, 08:23 PM
The problem with that is the next couple of weeks are winnable games and they need to win them.

You're looking at those games that way, with reason of course. However, truth is any given sunday....blah blah blah.

I think this early in the season you risk too much team chemistry and confidence wise to make the change after week 1.

I also would cut Orton a small amount of slack because he was playing with a glove on his hand and stitiches in his finger. I'm certaintly not an Orton apologist, but those two issues are relevant when trying to throw the ball. That doesn't excuse his poor decision making for the entire game, but in my mind it does allow him a couple more weeks to put up or be benched.

Atwater His Ass
09-13-2009, 08:26 PM

What exactly did you all want? Were you unhappy with the win? I've never heard so much b****ing after a win in my life.

Actually, Orton had very little to do with the win today. I'd go ahead and chalk that one up to a) the defense and b) pure luck.

It's good to be 1-0, but it's also important to look at how games are won and lost. Obviously, we aren't going to win many games with the offense and Orton playing so terrible. Improvement is needed and I'd like to see this team win more games based on analysing their deficeincies and coming up with solutions.

Victor
09-13-2009, 08:29 PM
Actually, Orton had very little to do with the win today. I'd go ahead and chalk that one up to a) the defense and b) pure luck.

It's good to be 1-0, but it's also important to look at how games are won and lost. Obviously, we aren't going to win many games with the offense and Orton playing so terrible. Improvement is needed and I'd like to see this team win more games based on analysing their deficeincies and coming up with solutions.

I can't disagree with you on this at all. It was the ugliest of ugly wins. Improvement needs to be made.

lex
09-13-2009, 08:31 PM
You're looking at those games that way, with reason of course. However, truth is any given sunday....blah blah blah.

I think this early in the season you risk too much team chemistry and confidence wise to make the change after week 1.

I also would cut Orton a small amount of slack because he was playing with a glove on his hand and stitiches in his finger. I'm certaintly not an Orton apologist, but those two issues are relevant when trying to throw the ball. That doesn't excuse his poor decision making for the entire game, but in my mind it does allow him a couple more weeks to put up or be benched.

You could justify cutting Orton some slack if he had provided the justification for it by virtue of his performance before the injury.

Atwater His Ass
09-13-2009, 08:33 PM
You could justify cutting Orton some slack if he had provided the justification for it by virtue of his performance before the injury.

True enough, but I don't put much stock in the pre-season, and it's not entirely fair to judge him based on different circumstances in Chicago.

I wouldn't in any way be upset if McD benched him next week to be sure.

I just think all things considered he deserves a chance (2-3 more games) to drive himself into the ground or to be successful.

zdoor
09-13-2009, 08:34 PM

I guess you weren't on the board when there was tons of bitching about the defense when we'd win in spite of how bad it was...

It isn't a McD/Cutler thing. That is water under the bridge. But Orton didn't play well today and has not had a decent game yet in a Bronco's UNI. I didn't like him in Chicago and don't care for him any more now.

My night is great and I'm thrilled we won. But if Orton doesn't show something in the next few games he should be shown the bench. He's not a rookie and his decision is poor at best.

BroncoBuff
09-13-2009, 08:35 PM

Yeah, he looked the same as he has all preseason.

lex
09-13-2009, 08:42 PM
True enough, but I don't put much stock in the pre-season, and it's not entirely fair to judge him based on different circumstances in Chicago.

I wouldn't in any way be upset if McD benched him next week to be sure.

I just think all things considered he deserves a chance (2-3 more games) to drive himself into the ground or to be successful.

Its not about him though. Also, whether you put stock in pre-season games or not, you can still see good and bad decision making. This often doesnt just stop magically because its the regular season.

ludo21
09-13-2009, 10:26 PM
So the consenus is one more game it seems... if he looks this bad again he needs to see the bench.

BroncoBuff
09-13-2009, 10:27 PM
So the consenus is one more game it seems... if he looks this bad again he needs to see the bench.

Yes, but we also have to lose or get behind ... AND Orton plays badly = maybe Simms.

If we're ahead 14 points and he looks this bad, I don't think they bench him ???

Steve Sewell
09-13-2009, 11:15 PM
Kyle Orton is the THIRD best QB on our roster--a performance like he has displayed every time he has suited up as a Bronco will not win against CLE this Sunday. It was refreshing to see McD jump his A$$ after taking that horrendous sack in the 4th qtr costing us a FG attempt that would have put the game away. He is nothing more than a 3rd team QB.......

His 22-12 record as a starting NFL QB would seem to indicate otherwise.

BroncoBuff
09-13-2009, 11:18 PM

Doesn't today's game make you rethink this QB win-loss stat? It should.

meangene
09-14-2009, 03:16 AM

You guys can b**** about him all you want but, for Orton to lose his job, he would have to stink it up for several weeks in a row and we would have to lose those games.

boppool
09-14-2009, 03:21 AM
It's not that Orton deserves to start,
Simms just doesn't deserve to start.

WolfpackGuy
09-14-2009, 04:02 AM
Orton was terrible.
When he wasn't tripping over his own feet, he was throwing behind guys and/or getting them laid out.
That 29 yarder to Scheffler would've been a TD if it hadn't been so poorly thrown.
Don't even get me started on that sack he took.

Atwater His Ass
09-14-2009, 04:29 AM

lolwut?

fontaine
09-14-2009, 05:23 AM
Other than taking that sack, what did he do wrong?

1. Inaccurate with his passes. They lacked zip and were usually behind, low of the intended targets. Perfectly summed up by his last two throws in the game winning drive.

2. Had zero pocket awareness. He did time to throw plenty of times but either took too long or took the sack.

3. Was awful on 3rd downs.

4. Didn't exploit the weakeness of the D on intermediate passes. The Bengals stacked against the run mostly which left the intermiadate zones available but Orton was either unwilling or unable to take advantage apart from two throws to Graham/Schef.

broncofan7
09-14-2009, 05:25 AM

Without the hand of lady luck coming down from the heavens and lifting us to victory--he would be 0-1 as Broncos QB not to mention that garbage he put out in the pre-season--how you fools cannot see this is not beyond me--

jhat01
09-14-2009, 05:30 AM
Without the hand of lady luck coming down from the heavens and lifting us to victory--he would be 0-1 as Broncos QB not to mention that garbage he put out in the pre-season--how you fools cannot see this is not beyond me--

Dude, now you're throwing preseason out there? What does that have to do with anything? Listen, most of us understand that Orton is not the answer at QB. He did some good things yesterday though..Threw some good balls that were dropped, threw some bad balls..Took a really bad sack, and had a great 2 minute drive to end the first half. He could have been better, he could have been worse. We won, enjoy it.

BroncoBuff
09-14-2009, 06:56 AM

And you base this on what? He's been great in the very small amount he's played ... what else can he do?