PDA

View Full Version : Alphonso Smith

Clockwork Orange
09-13-2009, 02:56 PM
It remains to be seen if he'll justify giving up a 1st to get him, but I thought the youngster had himself a very nice NFL debut today.

Smiling Assassin27
09-13-2009, 02:58 PM
i concur. dude was a factor. not afraid to stick his nose in the run game either.

Rock Chalk
09-13-2009, 02:59 PM
It remains to be seen if he'll justify giving up a 1st to get him, but I thought the youngster had himself a very nice NFL debut today.

Great tackler, had some good pass defenses and some run stops on the blitz.

Very proud of our guy and I think he is going to be a great pick up for us.

tsiguy96
very fun to watch, remember that rookie CBs rarely ever play alot, hes in there playing tough from game 1.

Br0nc0Buster
He played very well

Our whole defense did in fact
Haggan even got a sack, which was nice to see

CSU Husker
09-13-2009, 03:00 PM
I mistook him for Champ on that open field tackle, thats a good thing. Pretty good performance for his first game.

baja
09-13-2009, 03:00 PM
He sure didn't look like a rookie playing his first nfl game

Tombstone RJ
09-13-2009, 03:01 PM
I say he's the next Antoine Winfield and that is saying a lot. Props to Alphonso for a great game. Dude can play.

Popcorn Sutton
09-13-2009, 03:02 PM
Agreed. He looked great for his first ever game in the NFL.

jhat01
09-13-2009, 03:02 PM
I love to see cb's getting in there and tackling. Good job today.

Clockwork Orange
09-13-2009, 03:04 PM
I loved the 3rd and short play in which he was right in Caldwell's hip pocket and brought him down for no gain. A lot of times you see receivers able to stretch forward and eke out a 1st down, but Smith wrapped his ass up and he went nowhere. I believe that was the Broncos first forced three and out of the day

UberBroncoMan
09-13-2009, 03:23 PM
Now if only the Chicago picks could pan out... I saw Ayers playing early in the game but he practically no impact.

R8R H8R
09-13-2009, 03:24 PM
I loved the 3rd and short play in which he was right in Caldwell's hip pocket and brought him down for no gain. A lot of times you see receivers able to stretch forward and eke out a 1st down, but Smith wrapped his ass up and he went nowhere. I believe that was the Broncos first forced three and out of the day

The kid plays bigger than his size, and apparently, McD, Nolan, and the scouts saw that when they had him targeted in the draft.

TheReverend
09-13-2009, 03:25 PM
There were a couple mistakes but I thought it was an impressively sharp performance by him today

Baba Booey
09-13-2009, 03:26 PM
He looked good. Glad I adopted him.

Rohirrim
09-13-2009, 03:26 PM
Maybe in a couple of years nobody even mentions the draft pick. He looks good. Very aggressive. He and DJ came very close to getting two big picks. It will come.

Mr.Meanie
09-13-2009, 03:30 PM
I love this kid! He looked better than BOTH our first rounders. If he keeps this up he could be a force to be reckoned with in a few years.

Mr.Meanie
09-13-2009, 03:31 PM
Now if only the Chicago picks could pan out... I saw Ayers playing early in the game but he practically no impact.

That was one of the Chicago picks btw...

tsiguy96
09-13-2009, 03:32 PM
I love this kid! He looked better than BOTH our first rounders. If he keeps this up he could be a force to be reckoned with in a few years.

to be fair with moreno, he was met in the backfield by defenders on more than one of his runs.

TheReverend
09-13-2009, 03:49 PM
to be fair with moreno, he was met in the backfield by defenders on more than one of his runs.

Absolutely. He had one run that should've been a 2-3 yard loss turned into a 1 yard gain.

Doesn't reflect on the stat sheet but was pretty damn impressive and impactful for the offense on later downs.

Bronx33
09-13-2009, 03:50 PM
Wheres the love for darrell reid?

McDman
09-13-2009, 03:52 PM
What's up with our O-line?

TheReverend
Wheres the love for darrell reid?

One good play doesn't warrant it yet, man.

Drek
Great tackler, had some good pass defenses and some run stops on the blitz.

Very proud of our guy and I think he is going to be a great pick up for us.

Pretty much every scout said his tackling and run stopping was his biggest weakness.

After watching today's game what does that tell you about the rest of his skill set?

Two more inches and he would've gone in the top 10.

He played very well

Haggan is surprisingly fast for his size. He could become a real player in this defense of Nolan's. Makes a lot more sense after today's game why he was voted a captain by the rest of the team.

Bronx33
09-13-2009, 03:55 PM
One good play doesn't warrant it yet, man.

Just because you don't get a sack every play doesn't mean he didn't play well i look at other thing like effort ect..

TheReverend
09-13-2009, 04:12 PM
Just because you don't get a sack every play doesn't mean he didn't play well i look at other thing like effort ect..

You realize he was only in the game for less than 10 plays, right........?

ZONA
09-13-2009, 04:19 PM
He played very well

And Palmer might be lucky it was Haggen who sacked him because Doom was coming in with nasty intentions just a fraction of a second later.

Bronx33
09-13-2009, 04:20 PM

yes and iam sorry i noticed his effort..

ZONA
09-13-2009, 04:23 PM
What's up with our O-line?

You know, you're right. I know alot of people here want to jump McD's case as well as Orton's but the line really helped set us back several times with penalties. I think the entire Offense as a whole should get the blame for this lackluster performance today.

TheReverend
09-13-2009, 04:30 PM
yes and iam sorry i noticed his effort..

Oh come on.....

You name one "effort" or impact he made in the game outside of the sack, also mark down the time and what it caused, and then we can take a look at it and discuss.

ZONA
09-13-2009, 04:31 PM
Oh come on.....

You name one "effort" or impact he made in the game outside of the sack, also mark down the time and what it caused, and then we can take a look at it and discuss.

How about that special teams tackle he made, that was nice.

baja
09-13-2009, 04:33 PM
Pretty much every scout said his tackling and run stopping was his biggest weakness.

After watching today's game what does that tell you about the rest of his skill set?

Two more inches and he would've gone in the top 10.

Haggan is surprisingly fast for his size. He could become a real player in this defense of Nolan's. Makes a lot more sense after today's game why he was voted a captain by the rest of the team.

Dude plays smart too, he was around so many plays I thought they double issued hiss number

TheReverend
09-13-2009, 04:34 PM
How about that special teams tackle he made, that was nice.

Do you have the right guy?

I don't remember it and the stats have him at 1 solo tackle, 1 sack, and sacks also count as solo tackles, sooooooooooo............

Dedhed
09-13-2009, 04:36 PM
Yeah, he was amazingly efficient when he saw the field. To have the impact he did with as little as he was on the field is impressive to say the least.

ZONA
09-13-2009, 04:37 PM
Do you have the right guy?

I don't remember it and the stats have him at 1 solo tackle, 1 sack, and sacks also count as solo tackles, sooooooooooo............

You're talking about Haggen right? It was later in the game when we punted and he clocked the returned right at the catch for no yards. And then Fouts said that he's always been one of the best special teams players.

EDIT: Ah, okay, you're talking about Reid, my bad.

Bronx33
09-13-2009, 04:38 PM
Yeah, he was amazingly efficient when he saw the field. To have the impact he did with as little as he was on the field is impressive to say the least.

Minimalize it all ya want but this is all iam saying REV, thanks dedhed.

footstepsfrom#27
09-13-2009, 04:38 PM
Muck City!

TheReverend
09-13-2009, 04:44 PM
You're talking about Haggen right? It was later in the game when we punted and he clocked the returned right at the catch for no yards. And then Fouts said that he's always been one of the best special teams players.

EDIT: Ah, okay, you're talking about Reid, my bad.

No. You got it on edit though. I think a lot of people are confused because Reid didn't do anything and someone is crediting him for a solid game outside of his one good play.

TheReverend
09-13-2009, 04:45 PM

Hey, I'm not minimizing any effort one of the good guys in orange and blue made today.

Show me what I'm missing.

What time and what quarter and what did he do? I'd love to re-watch it and share your enthusiasm on what is apparently our future starter.

Rock Chalk
09-13-2009, 04:47 PM
No. You got it on edit though. I think a lot of people are confused because Reid didn't do anything and someone is crediting him for a solid game outside of his one good play.

Well you said he was only in there for 10 plays.

What were the circumstances of him being in there on those 10 plays? Were the other 9 plays he was a "non-factor" in plays he could have been a factor on?1 in 10 is still an improvement over the 1 in 50 of our defensive front seven average last year.

TheReverend
09-13-2009, 04:51 PM

You know what man? You're right. I'm actually very fond of Marcus Thomas's play today and he did less than Reid so I'll stfu on the subject. Sorry.

Premier-Ace55
09-13-2009, 04:57 PM
That was one of the Chicago picks btw...

I thought that Denver traded their pick to pick up smith and that they still have Chicagos first round pick next year.

HooptyHoops
09-13-2009, 04:59 PM
I say he's the next Antoine Winfield and that is saying a lot. Props to Alphonso for a great game. Dude can play.

Thats exactly who he reminded me of...Winfield!!

Bronx33
09-13-2009, 05:03 PM
You know what man? You're right. I'm actually very fond of Marcus Thomas's play today and he did less than Reid so I'll stfu on the subject. Sorry.

Lets just see what reid does with his limited playing time for here out i was impressed.

TheReverend
09-13-2009, 05:04 PM
Lets just see what reid does with his limited playing time for here out i was impressed.

Hey, either way, he made a play. If he can do that even once EVERY OTHER GAME, he'll have been worth 3x the money he's getting.

Mr.Meanie
09-13-2009, 05:05 PM
I thought that Denver traded their pick to pick up smith and that they still have Chicagos first round pick next year.

ah you're right. too many beers I guess!

:spit:

Bronx33
09-13-2009, 05:11 PM
Hey, I'm not minimizing any effort one of the good guys in orange and blue made today.

What time and what quarter and what did he do? I'd love to re-watch it and share your enthusiasm on what is apparently our future starter.

**** i don't know i don't keep track of the damn time and who the **** said anything about a starter? dude relax i just liked the way the guy played with his limited play time and pointed it out ( have a cocktail will ya).

Popps
09-13-2009, 05:13 PM
Nice day for Smith... and this is why we brought him in.

Actually, we brought him in to snag INTs, but that will come.

Very encouraging, and I can't wait to watch this kid develop.

Rock Chalk
09-13-2009, 05:13 PM
Back to Alphonso Smith....

Does anything think this kid was worth trading next years draft pick away IF he continues to have games like this on a consistent basis?

Honestly, finding a gamer like that is worth his weight in gold. IF he is legitimate and can put this kind of performance together consistently as a rookie, he was worth any 1st round draft pick we traded away in any year IMO.

Rock Chalk
09-13-2009, 05:14 PM
Nice day for Smith... and this is why we brought him in.

Actually, we brought him in to snag INTs, but that will come.

Very encouraging, and I can't wait to watch this kid develop.

Well hell, he almost had one of those too. Off a dropped pass, I think it kind of shocked him that the receiver dropped it and it hit him in the hands.

TheReverend
**** i don't know i don't keep track of the damn time and who the **** said anything about a starter? dude relax i just liked the way the guy played with his limited play time and pointed it out ( have a cocktail will ya).

Read the posts in order man!

Drek

I think what it really boils down to Rev is that after months of the entire football world telling us that no one on our defensive front seven basically even belongs in the league, its nice to see our a lot of supporting cast members show up and play solid ball.

Supposedly we didn't have any DLs who could even handle a single OL, let alone manage double teams. We didn't look so bad today in the trenches against one of the biggest OLs in the entire league.

I had doubts on Marcus Thomas, thought he might even be a cut. Turns out he's probably going to be the best penetrating DL we've got, and he showed some versatility at both DE and NT. Vonnie Holliday contributed out of the gate with only a week of practice.

Then the LBs. Just non-stop motor from that group. DJ did his job, Andra Davis did more than we could have ever expected. Haggan looked like a legit starter on a good defense, and Dumervil is showing that his nose for the ball carrier is strong enough to still work a few yards further back. We rotated in a bunch of guys like Ayers, Reid, and Woodyard. None of them made big mistakes, some of them made some big plays.

The DBs where the most impressive group. Champ was flying all over the field, as was Dawkins (dude is supposed to have lost a step?) Hill was as advertised, a solid average to above average cover safety. Andre Goodman spent most of his day going one on one with either Ochocinco or Coles and didn't get beat for any big plays. Even broke up a few clutch passes.

There is very little to not be happy about with the D this game. Alphonso Smith just happens to be one of the brightest of the many bright spots.

Rock Chalk
09-13-2009, 05:16 PM
Goodman had one HELLUVA pass defense down the field.

That was one of the best defensive plays all day.

Bronx33
09-13-2009, 05:18 PM

No shyt he came in fast and hot to break up that one long ball vs ( ?) name ecapes me but it was impressive.

Bronx33
09-13-2009, 05:19 PM
Read the posts in order man!

my bad...

DrFate
09-13-2009, 05:49 PM
I thought Smith looked pretty good. Active, around the ball.

uplink
09-13-2009, 05:59 PM
Smith as a backup gives the broncos something they haven't had in awhile, a player to push the starting 2 CBs.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

zdoor
09-13-2009, 06:46 PM
I thought Alphonso looked real good. I liked the D in general. He looks like a solid pick.

SouthStndJunkie
09-13-2009, 09:25 PM
Very impressive debut by Alphonso Smith today.

BroncoMan4ever
09-14-2009, 12:07 AM
The kid plays bigger than his size, and apparently, McD, Nolan, and the scouts saw that when they had him targeted in the draft.

3-4 inches taller and he would have been a borderline top 10 pick.

lazarus4444
09-14-2009, 01:03 AM
I really like Alphonso Smith, can't wait to see him get his first pick. Was he on chris henry all day? If so, he shut his ass down.

WolfpackGuy
09-14-2009, 04:57 AM
Still not convinced he was worth next year's first rounder.
BUT, Smith can play.

dbfan21
09-14-2009, 06:43 AM
I am getting in on this discussion late, but I was really impressed with his poise, his agreesiveness and his ability to make tackles in traffic.

Good job, young man!!

barryr
09-14-2009, 07:38 AM
Smith will be very good, if not great. He seems to have the instincts necessary to be a great CB. Add in he appears willing to come and help against the run and you have an all-around CB.

The defense as a whole played pretty well. They were helped with some dropped balls and the pressure on the QB was spotty, but they didn't allow too many big plays that have killed them in the past, namely long TD runs and passes.

Peoples Champ
09-14-2009, 08:28 AM
I thought he looked great, we will se if he ends up being worth it.

gyldenlove
09-14-2009, 08:42 AM
I wasn't a fan of the trade that got him here, but dude is clearly a player, he had a really solid first game and showed good cover skills and good tackling. I like him as a football player.

TheDave
09-14-2009, 08:48 AM
I wasn't a fan of the trade that got him here, but dude is clearly a player, he had a really solid first game and showed good cover skills and good tackling. I like him as a football player.

If McDaniels can pull off a few more miracles and we finish 8-8... that trade won't be nearly as bad as I feared.

As long as our pick ends up around 15 or later...

Pick Six
09-14-2009, 09:52 AM
If we're talking about surprise players, Andra Davis was all over the field. He was impressive...

McDman
09-14-2009, 09:58 AM
I'm calling it, the minute he gets burned there is going to be a thread whining about how we wasted a pick.

gyldenlove
09-14-2009, 10:09 AM
I really liked what the defense was doing, I want to see them play a better offensive line and runningback before I crown their asses, but they do look a lot better than last year.

Wesley Woodyard is just a football player, like TheRev he hits everything he sees.

lex
09-14-2009, 10:12 AM
Still not convinced he was worth next year's first rounder.
BUT, Smith can play.

This.

Cito Pelon
09-14-2009, 11:06 AM

Yup.

TheDave
09-14-2009, 11:12 AM
I'm calling it, the minute he gets burned there is going to be a thread whining about how we wasted a pick.

WOW... way to go out on a limb there.

I'm going to take that one step further. Next time it rains the ground will get wet.

Cito Pelon
09-14-2009, 11:30 AM
I think what it really boils down to Rev is that after months of the entire football world telling us that no one on our defensive front seven basically even belongs in the league, its nice to see our a lot of supporting cast members show up and play solid ball.

Supposedly we didn't have any DLs who could even handle a single OL, let alone manage double teams. We didn't look so bad today in the trenches against one of the biggest OLs in the entire league.

I had doubts on Marcus Thomas, thought he might even be a cut. Turns out he's probably going to be the best penetrating DL we've got, and he showed some versatility at both DE and NT. Vonnie Holliday contributed out of the gate with only a week of practice.

Then the LBs. Just non-stop motor from that group. DJ did his job, Andra Davis did more than we could have ever expected. Haggan looked like a legit starter on a good defense, and Dumervil is showing that his nose for the ball carrier is strong enough to still work a few yards further back. We rotated in a bunch of guys like Ayers, Reid, and Woodyard. None of them made big mistakes, some of them made some big plays.

The DBs where the most impressive group. Champ was flying all over the field, as was Dawkins (dude is supposed to have lost a step?) Hill was as advertised, a solid average to above average cover safety. Andre Goodman spent most of his day going one on one with either Ochocinco or Coles and didn't get beat for any big plays. Even broke up a few clutch passes.

There is very little to not be happy about with the D this game. Alphonso Smith just happens to be one of the brightest of the many bright spots.

That was a solid D effort on the road. They sure came to play.

Garcia Bronco
09-14-2009, 12:17 PM
He's worth it. He's made at least one big play in every game for us thus far including presson.

PRBronco
09-14-2009, 12:36 PM

Vonnie was a smart pick up, but did anyone notice how fooled he was by their (double?) reverse? It was pretty funny, he looked completely baffled.

*edit* In regards to this thread: Phons is awesome, very happy with him.

Dr. Broncenstein
09-14-2009, 12:41 PM
Back to Alphonso Smith....

Does anything think this kid was worth trading next years draft pick away IF he continues to have games like this on a consistent basis?

Honestly, finding a gamer like that is worth his weight in gold. IF he is legitimate and can put this kind of performance together consistently as a rookie, he was worth any 1st round draft pick we traded away in any year IMO.

Without a doubt, yes. First rounders are at best a coin flip historically, plus the guaranteed money that comes with the pick. If Smith pans out, McD looks like a total genius IMO.

Dr. Broncenstein
09-14-2009, 12:43 PM

Goodman will turn out to be the best move of the offseason in the long term.

Orange_Beard
09-14-2009, 12:44 PM
His play was a huge bright spot. Look forward to seeing how he does over the long haul.

gyldenlove
09-14-2009, 12:47 PM
Without a doubt, yes. First rounders are at best a coin flip historically, plus the guaranteed money that comes with the pick. If Smith pans out, McD looks like a total genius IMO.

First rounders have the best hit to miss ratio of any round, so by trading down you give yourself less chance of hitting a player.

You can argue that the smaller probability of getting a player in the 2nd round compared to 1st round is offset by the reduction in contract value, but that argument really hinges heavily on where you draft in the 1st round, as long as you are out of the top 10 contracts are really not bad at all.

If Smith becomes a good starting CB with the Broncos the deal looks good, anything else will make it a bad deal.

Rock Chalk
09-14-2009, 12:48 PM
First rounders have the best hit to miss ratio of any round, so by trading down you give yourself less chance of hitting a player.

You can argue that the smaller probability of getting a player in the 2nd round compared to 1st round is offset by the reduction in contract value, but that argument really hinges heavily on where you draft in the 1st round, as long as you are out of the top 10 contracts are really not bad at all.

If Smith becomes a good starting CB with the Broncos the deal looks good, anything else will make it a bad deal.

No, the only thing that makes it a bad deal is if the player we projectively would have drafted ends up being awesome.

Odds are against it though. Odds are heavily stacked in teh favor of a 1st rounder anywhere being average to below average. Bust and Star's just aren't as common as people seem to think in the first round.

outdoor_miner
09-14-2009, 01:04 PM
No, the only thing that makes it a bad deal is if the player we projectively would have drafted ends up being awesome.

The problem is that all the people who hate this trade will have about 10 players to compare Smith to. For example, if the Broncos pick ends up being around 10, the people who hate the pick will be comparing Smith to the players picked at 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, etc etc etc saying "We could have had XXXXXX!" It's an impossible situation, as 1 of those players will likely be better than Smith, and everyone will think that that is the player we definitely would have acquired.

That's why I've said all along that Smith simply needs to be a very solid starter for us. If he's a solid #1 CB, the trade will have been worth it based on the ROI of the pick. We'll be paying Smith $3 or $4 million less per year than a player picked at #10. That's a great deal.

PS - I thought he looked awesome yesterday. It was exciting to see him in there playing physical and making really nice plays in coverage.

Cito Pelon
09-14-2009, 01:32 PM
33 is a keeper, that's for sure.

Bronco LB52
09-16-2009, 11:52 AM
Alphonso Smith debuts at #5 on the Pro Football Weekly Rookie Meter.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Ai3I_1l6r4LEz_ftW.qiaRb.uLYF?slug=pfw-20090915_week_one_rookie_meter&prov=pfw&type=lgns

orinjkrush
09-16-2009, 12:30 PM

i know the sample size is only one game but, doesn't it look at this point like:
Phonso > Moreno > Ayers?

And I thought LBs and RBs usually make the biggest rookie impact.

Beantown Bronco
09-16-2009, 12:30 PM
The problem is that all the people who hate this trade will have about 10 players to compare Smith to. For example, if the Broncos pick ends up being around 10, the people who hate the pick will be comparing Smith to the players picked at 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, etc etc etc saying "We could have had XXXXXX!" It's an impossible situation, as 1 of those players will likely be better than Smith, and everyone will think that that is the player we definitely would have acquired.

That's why I've said all along that Smith simply needs to be a very solid starter for us. If he's a solid #1 CB, the trade will have been worth it based on the ROI of the pick. We'll be paying Smith $3 or $4 million less per year than a player picked at #10. That's a great deal.

PS - I thought he looked awesome yesterday. It was exciting to see him in there playing physical and making really nice plays in coverage.

Can't disagree with a word of this post - rep

And I was pretty vocally against the trade up to pick him up. To be clear, I was never against him personally (I'm not going to pretend I saw anything other than a few of his highlights, which isn't much of a basis to judge), I was just part of the "thought we gave up too much" crew.

I REALLY hope he has a ton more games like this past one for the Broncos and proves me wrong.