PDA

View Full Version : DEFENSE and SPECIAL TEAMS.

Popps
09-13-2009, 01:25 PM
Props to both.

One game, and we see the massive difference it makes.

Congrats to the front seven, and the stand-out player today... Alphonso Smith!

7 points, folks.

Can you remember the last time we held a team to 7 points? And we did it with a poor offensive output, to boot.

This is a great sign. The offense is going to come along. It needs time to develop, but the defense/ST's coming out of the gate with a performance this solid is a great thing.

We'll struggle against better offenses, I'm sure... but what a great start and a nice way to build confidence.

SoCalBronco
09-13-2009, 01:27 PM
I agree that the defense looks quite improved under Nolan. ST was solid for the most part except for the Kern shank. McD's offense looks like ****, though. Thankfully, they have Cleveland next week and we should be able to do some good things against them.

BroncoBuff
09-13-2009, 01:28 PM
That was a 91-yard TD drive they gave up in clutch time ....

Are you guys high? 91 freaking YARDS!

Get realistic here, we gave up a TON of yards today. And no Alec, their drops hurt them just as much or more.

SoCalBronco
09-13-2009, 01:30 PM

Get realistic here, we gave up a TON of yards today. And no Alec, their drops hurt them just as much or more.

They gave up some yards in the first half, but tightened up in the second. I think they only gave up a hair over 300 on the whole, which is not bad at all. The offense put them in bad spots and McD made it tougher for Nolan to do his job, but they overcame the offense's ****ups. Anytime you hold someone to 7, that's a great job. They were eventually going to score anyway...whether they did it on the last drive or the fourth drive, it doesn't matter.

Popps
09-13-2009, 01:32 PM
They gave up some yards in the first half, but tightened up in the second. I think they only gave up a hair over 300 on the whole, which is not bad at all. The offense put them in bad spots and McD made it tougher for Nolan to do his job, but they overcame the offense's ****ups. Anytime you hold someone to 7, that's a great job. They were eventually going to score anyway...whether they did it on the last drive or the fourth drive, it doesn't matter.

That's the point.

They gave up 7 points for the friggin' game.

We won.

When your defense holds teams to 7 points, you usually find a way to win. That's why we've been talking about improving this defense for so long.

Fluke or not, when your defense keeps scoring that low... good things usually happen... and they did.

Great day, and a proud day for the D/ST's.

!Booya!!Booya!!Booya!!Booya!

Popps
09-13-2009, 01:33 PM
Oh, and by the way.... it's only 1 week, but if Smith plays like this going forward, the trade was an absolute success.

We'll see, but this is exactly the kind of production you want from a high pick. He made key plays today... in his first game as a rookie.

Beantown Bronco
09-13-2009, 01:36 PM
I don't care if the defense gives up 500 yards of offense. If they only give up 7 pts, I won't bad mouth them.

Popps
09-13-2009, 01:36 PM
I don't care if the defense gives up 500 yards of offense. If they only give up 7 pts, I won't bad mouth them.

:notworthy

TheReverend
09-13-2009, 01:41 PM

But they didn't hold to seven...

They had a shank and a poor snap... Denver did nothing to cause either.

Popps
09-13-2009, 01:42 PM

.... and our defense had nothing to do with two drive-killing holding calls on our O-line, either.

At the end of the day, we gave up 7 points.

None in the first half.

All with a very poor offensive output and many 3 and outs.

Good lord, can you imagine last year's defense today? We would have given up 70.

Mr.Meanie
09-13-2009, 01:46 PM
Denver's defense played quite a bit better than I thought they would. I think Cinci is going to have a good offense this year, and they just weren't in sych... but part of that is Denver stepping up and making plays. Except for one time, they couldn't run on us for ****.

There were some holes in the secondary that Denver needs to patch up... but honestly after last year knowing every time the other team's offense has the ball they are going to score this is a welcome freaking relief. I would rather have an offense that has ups and downs with a solid defense than an absolute sieve of a defense.

TheReverend
09-13-2009, 01:48 PM
.... and our defense had nothing to do with two drive-killing holding calls on our O-line, either.

At the end of the day, we gave up 7 points.

None in the first half.

All with a very poor offensive output and many 3 and outs.

Good lord, can you imagine last year's defense today? We would have given up 70.

This is ridiculous.

I do feel Cincinnati is going to be a very good football team, and with 30 secs to go, was ready to come home and start a "Everyone calm down, Cinci will be a good team" thread.

But this much optimism over the win is absurd

They beat themselves on two kicks and STILL were in position to win until a ball so terribly thrown by Orton the defender TIPPED it TO Stokely who ran it EIGHTY SEVEN ****ING YARDS for the winning score.

Let's celebrate the win all day, but ****ing perspective guys.... seriously.

Dr. Broncenstein
09-13-2009, 01:49 PM
Just imagine... if we had a real quarterback... hell, even a mediocre quarterback, we win by double digits on the road. If you can't see that McD is married to Orton after this performance, you never will...

Rohirrim

Carson Palmer ain't exactly dog ****. I'm guessing it will take electroshock to straighten you out. That negativity done folded, spindled and mutilated your pre-frontal cortex.

PRBronco
How about some love for the FA acquisitions Andra Davis and Weapon X? :D

SoCalBronco
09-13-2009, 01:50 PM

Even if the Bengals made that FG, they would have held them to just 10, which is still great.

Overall...I still think the team is pretty weak and they got very lucky winning this game, but the defense DOES look substantially better. Nolan's doing a pretty damn good job so far. McD still looks a POS on his side of the ball....but they've got the Browns and Raiders coming up, so they might be able to get away with it, for now.

Dr. Broncenstein
09-13-2009, 01:51 PM
A win is a win, but holy lord it hurts watching us hold Cinci to 0 points for 58 minutes... and the game has to be won on an immaculate reception redux. This is a good defense, and we are about 1/3rd of the way complete personell wise.

Mr.Meanie
09-13-2009, 01:52 PM
How about some love for the FA acquisitions Andra Davis and Weapon X? :D

No kidding. Andre Davis owned the Bungles the 1st half. Davis, Dawkins, Baily and Smith are going to put the Broncos D on the map.

TheReverend
09-13-2009, 01:53 PM
Even if the Bengals made that FG, they would have held them to just 10, which is still great.

Overall...I still think the team is pretty weak and they got very lucky winning this game, but the defense DOES look substantially better. Nolan's doing a pretty damn good job so far. McD still looks a POS on his side of the ball....but they've got the Browns and Raiders coming up, so they might be able to get away with it, for now.

Not 10, 13 in reality... and that's to a team with a completely reshuffled OL, and their first draft pick currently injured.

The defense is looking sharpER, but far from good. Guys that actually played worth a **** today:

Davis, Champ, Dawkins, Smith AND Marcus Thomas

But, hey, sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.

zdoor
Just imagine... if we had a real quarterback... hell, even a mediocre quarterback, we win by double digits on the road. If you can't see that McD is married to Orton after this performance, you never will...

That's the TRUTH. Reminded me of wathcing Bubby Brister complete with almost getting our best players killed...

lex

cosign

Rock Chalk
09-13-2009, 01:54 PM

Idiot.

Brandon Marshalls drop on the bomb put us in FG territory at least and gives the O some much needed confidence.

That gives us 3 more points making Caron Palmer's final drive insignificant and it doesnt matter.

Moron.

Popps
09-13-2009, 01:54 PM
Not 10, 13 in reality... and that's to a team with a completely reshuffled OL, and their first draft pick currently injured.

The defense is looking sharpER, but far from good. Guys that actually played worth a **** today:

Davis, Champ, Dawkins, Smith AND Marcus Thomas

But, hey, sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.

C'mon Rev, we gave up 7 points with zero offensive output today.

We caught a break on the FG snap, and caught unlucky breaks on the holding calls.

For the first game in a new system with an almost completely new defense... you can't admit this was a nice start?

R8R H8R
09-13-2009, 01:56 PM
Denver's defense played quite a bit better than I thought they would. I think Cinci is going to have a good offense this year, and they just weren't in sych... but part of that is Denver stepping up and making plays. Except for one time, they couldn't run on us for ****.

There were some holes in the secondary that Denver needs to patch up... but honestly after last year knowing every time the other team's offense has the ball they are going to score this is a welcome freaking relief. I would rather have an offense that has ups and downs with a solid defense than an absolute sieve of a defense.

Completely agree. The thing is I truly believe the team, including the offense, will only get better. I know there may be those that disagree with that, but I believe it, and more importantly, the the team believes it.

zdoor
09-13-2009, 01:57 PM

We caught a break on the FG snap, and caught unlucky breaks on the holding calls.

For the first game in a new system with an almost completely new defense... you can't admit this was a nice start?

Agree the D looks great. Loved the pressure and they way they went after it. Thought the Running game looked good in spurts too.

TheReverend
09-13-2009, 02:01 PM

Whoa whoa,

No chance the guy calling the 2008 team a 7-9 team citing the SD game, but ignoring the Miami game is calling me out for being "skewed"

We gave up 13 pts.
We scored 6

Our 12th man today was Jesus H Christ, and we somehow walked with the win.

That's good enough for me, but that sht doesn't sustain.

RunSilentRunDeep
09-13-2009, 02:05 PM
Loved the coverage units, but not impressed at all with the return game. Things are only going to get better.

Rock Chalk
09-13-2009, 02:07 PM
Whoa whoa,

No chance the guy calling the 2008 team a 7-9 team citing the SD game, but ignoring the Miami game is calling me out for being "skewed"

We gave up 13 pts.
We scored 6

Our 12th man today was Jesus H Christ, and we somehow walked with the win.

That's good enough for me, but that sht doesn't sustain.

What? We gave up 7 points.

10 if you count the botched snap.

But if you are going to count botched plays, you gotta count the 3 we would have had from Marshall's drop adn teh 3 we would ahve had from the consecutive penalties on the second to last drive.

End result:

Denver 12, Cincy 10.

We ****ing win.

Clockwork Orange
09-13-2009, 02:07 PM
Loved the intensity of Brian Dawkins out there. Guy goes 1000 miles per hour on every play.

tsiguy96
09-13-2009, 02:10 PM
if you watch the final play again the entire team is running down the sideline yelling and cheering its funny.

nickademus
09-13-2009, 02:10 PM
What I saw today was backwards from what I was used to last season. To see the special teams consistantly make plays and limit the errors was absolutely the best part of the game to me. The D is going to get better but I like what I see gotta believe by years end we will be in that upper middle class as apposed to the celler we have lived in for the past few years on D!

TheReverend
09-13-2009, 02:19 PM
What? We gave up 7 points.

10 if you count the botched snap.

But if you are going to count botched plays, you gotta count the 3 we would have had from Marshall's drop adn teh 3 we would ahve had from the consecutive penalties on the second to last drive.

End result:

Denver 12, Cincy 10.

We ****ing win.

You should do stand-up man.

Listen,

End result: We win ON THE ROAD!

Awesome. That's great. 8 to go for play-off contention, and this is a good sign, but seriously....

...anyone who thinks there are optimistic signs to take away from this game is kidding themselves to an extreme level.

Rock Chalk
09-13-2009, 02:22 PM
This is ridiculous.

I do feel Cincinnati is going to be a very good football team, and with 30 secs to go, was ready to come home and start a "Everyone calm down, Cinci will be a good team" thread.

They beat themselves on two kicks and STILL were in position to win until a ball so terribly thrown by Orton the defender TIPPED it TO Stokely who ran it EIGHTY SEVEN ****ING YARDS for the winning score.

How come Denver didn't beat themselves then? Denver had two opportunities to score and nothing Cincy did prevented them.

The Marshall bomb that went through his hands results in AT LEAST 3.

The two consecutive penalties puts us in a long FG that we really cant count on Prater for and put the team in a bad situation. Cincy didnt cause those penalties, Denver did.

But ONLY Ciny made mistakes, Denver just sucks, right Rev?

TheReverend
09-13-2009, 02:23 PM
How come Denver didn't beat themselves then? Denver had two opportunities to score and nothing Cincy did prevented them.

The two consecutive penalties puts us in a long FG that we really cant count on Prater for and put the team in a bad situation. Cincy didnt cause those penalties, Denver did.

Because Cinci didn't get the win on a pass deflection?

Are you spontaneously retarded, or just messing with me?

Rock Chalk
09-13-2009, 02:24 PM

Listen,

Awesome. That's great. 8 to go for play-off contention, and this is a good sign, but seriously....

...anyone who thinks there are optimistic signs to take away from this game is kidding themselves to an extreme level.

LOL.

Whatever floats your boat.

Im glad we won, I see good things from the defense. The offense was out of sync but should ahve put at least 6 MORE points on teh board.

But you go ahead and think Cincy was the only one hat screwed themselves. Denver did plenty to screw themselves in this game. But hey Im sorry to rain your we suck parade Rev.

I'll just fall in line with teh rest of you guys and boo the home team.

Rock Chalk
09-13-2009, 02:25 PM

No, they got lucky Denver had some BS calls on them in the last drive in teh first place. They should NEVER have been in the position to win in the first palce.

Are you ****ing retarded or what?

BroncoBuff
09-13-2009, 02:27 PM

I don't get it either ???

I guess everybody's just too happy to look critically at the game yet.

Our spec teams covered well, but the return game was below average, at best.

TheReverend
LOL.

Whatever floats your boat.

Im glad we won, I see good things from the defense. The offense was out of sync but should ahve put at least 6 MORE points on teh board.

But you go ahead and think Cincy was the only one hat screwed themselves. Denver did plenty to screw themselves in this game. But hey Im sorry to rain your we suck parade Rev.

I'll just fall in line with teh rest of you guys and boo the home team.

My advice to you in steps:

1) Learn the English language.
2) Re-read.
3) Comprehend.
4) Respond appropriately.

Mr.Meanie

We dropped quite a few passes as well, including a bomb to BM who let it slip through his fingers.

Only counting the Bungles screw-ups while not counting our own is disingenuous at best.

theAPAOps5

Bro the refs blew the holding call on Weigmann. He looked look a bull fighter letting his guy go on the play. It was a horrid call.

TheReverend
no, they got lucky denver had some bs calls on them in the last drive in teh first place. They should never have been in the position to win in the first palce.

Are you ****ing retarded or what?

lollollollollollol

BroncoBuff
09-13-2009, 02:28 PM

yeah but , yeah but but but , if if if ....

Dude,you're usually better than that ... you're letting emotions get in the way of a real gameevaluation.

At eastthe emotion is FREAKING ELATION!!

TheReverend
09-13-2009, 02:28 PM
Bro the refs blew the holding call on Weigmann. He looked look a bull fighter letting his guy go on the play. It was a horrid call.

I don't disagree with this at all.

But I am waiting for your point.......

ZONA
09-13-2009, 02:30 PM

Uh...................NO FRICKEN DOUBT

Please, I don't want to hear a MF thing about yards or dropped passes, or penalties. The defense gave up 7 points and that wasn't until there were only 40 seconds left in the game. The held what I think will be a good offense (at home) to a goose egg for nearly the entire game. Trust me, last years defense would have given up 30 points to the Bengals today.

Even Cowher (a man who knows something about defense) said they played great.

listopencil
09-13-2009, 02:30 PM
Congrats to the front seven, and the stand-out player today... Alphonso Smith!

He played well, and he made some nice plays. Not the stand out player of the game though. If anyone it was Stokely. I do wonder what happened to Champ on that last drive.

theAPAOps5
09-13-2009, 02:31 PM

Dude,you're usually better than that ... you're letting emotions get in the way of a real gameevaluation.

Pot I would like to introduce you to kettle........

Rock Chalk
09-13-2009, 02:31 PM

You people are ****ing morons but you top the list.

Honestly, you want to give Cincy props and give them the benefit of the doubt on their miscues but do not give the same leeway to Denver who had a **** ton of them too.

****ing idiots.

theAPAOps5
09-13-2009, 02:32 PM
I don't disagree with this at all.

But I am waiting for your point.......

I will make mine when you make yours how about that. But I won't hold my breath.

BroncoBuff
if you watch the final play again the entire team is running down the sideline yelling and cheering its funny.

I WANNA SEE THAT ANGLE!!!!!

The bastages cut away from the game here immediately.

Guess they came backfor a quick Stookley interview though .

TheReverend

Honestly, you want to give Cincy props and give them the benefit of the doubt on their miscues but do not give the same leeway to Denver who had a **** ton of them too.

****ing idiots.

I dont care about your conversation with buff. Don't hide from me by replying to him.

BroncoBuff
09-13-2009, 02:34 PM

****ing idiots.

Talk about an idiot ... I gave Cincy ZERO props other than their clutch 90+ yard last minute drive. If you can't give them credit for that, you really are an idiot.

TheReverend
09-13-2009, 02:34 PM
I will make mine when you make yours how about that. But I won't hold my breath.

My points been plainly clear all off-season and only REINFORCED today:

Davis is a stud
Dawkins is a pass liability
Our O-line and receivers will look a lot worse without Cutler

So, I'm four for four. Would you like to discuss how many of those points you argued with me about and where that leaves you at the moment? :welcome:

theAPAOps5
09-13-2009, 02:35 PM
My points been plainly clear all off-season and only REINFORCED today:

Davis is a stud

So, I'm four for four. Would you like to discuss how many of those points you argued with me about and where that leaves you at the moment? :welcome:

Um I haven't argued against you mostly except for Cutler. But that is a long way from remaining to be seen.

Again I await your point. I did try to hold my breath but I don't want to pass out.

eddie mac
09-13-2009, 02:37 PM
This is ridiculous.

We had an interception, 3 sacks, numerous pressures and held Palmer to 7 points, regardless of drops or ****-ups with Cincy's special teams.

That there alone shows an improvement from a unit that sucked **** last year and given the fact it sucked **** in 2008 (NFL's 3rd worst defense ever), it was a major improvement.

On the flipside though the offense sucked absolute cock, with numerous penalties, drops etc. It can only improve but with Orton at the helm it will never be as good as it could've been with Cutler, but that is history and for this franchise to be successful under Orton, other units and other offensive players need to step up.

TheReverend
09-13-2009, 02:39 PM
Um I haven't argued against you mostly except for Cutler. But that is a long way from remaining to be seen.

Again I await your point. I did try to hold my breath but I don't want to pass out.

WTF is this sht? I can never tell if you're serious over here, throw it up off-location if you want to discuss, because no chance you're SERIOUSLY going this route.

theAPAOps5
09-13-2009, 02:40 PM
WTF is this sht? I can never tell if you're serious over here, throw it up off-location if you want to discuss, because no chance you're SERIOUSLY going this route.

LOL man I tried to hold my breath again! Damn it! Fool me once shame on you fool me twice shame on me. A fooled man doesn't get fooled again. (Great GWB)

TheReverend
09-13-2009, 02:41 PM
We had an interception, 3 sacks, numerous pressures and held Palmer to 7 points, regardless of drops or ****-ups with Cincy's special teams.

That there alone shows an improvement from a unit that sucked **** last year and given the fact it sucked **** in 2008 (NFL's 3rd worst defense ever), it was a major improvement.

On the flipside though the offense sucked absolute cock, with numerous penalties, drops etc. It can only improve but with Orton at the helm it will never be as good as it could've been with Cutler, but that is history and for this franchise to be successful under Orton, other units and other offensive players need to step up.

Completely agree with the bolded statement. That part was great.

However, the bottom line IS that we counted on mistakes and won on perhaps THE luckiest play in NFL history. It was a perfect luck storm for Denver. It's a road game, so let's steal the wins when we can, but the people running around over-confident from this one deserve to get shot in the face point blank.

TheReverend
09-13-2009, 02:42 PM
LOL man I tried to hold my breath again! Damn it! Fool me once shame on you fool me twice shame on me. A fooled man doesn't get fooled again. (Great GWB)

Last chance before I disregard friendship and seriously hurt you with the search function...

theAPAOps5
09-13-2009, 02:42 PM
Last chance before I seriously hurt you with the search function...

Dude you know the answer. Check your rep!

Victor
09-13-2009, 02:43 PM
[QUOTE=TheReverend;2552875]Not 10, 13 in reality... QUOTE]

I think that you don't understand what "reality" means. In "reality" Cinci scored 7 points. In your "fantasy" they scored 13.

TheReverend
09-13-2009, 02:45 PM
Dude you know the answer. Check your rep!

^5

Returning your Orton jersey?

Honestly, unrelated to you, but how many dipshts spent the off-season running around the board yelling about how:

Orton was smarter than Cutler and would be more effective

This offense would capitalize on accuracy

McD knew QBs better than anyone else and Orton was a hidden gem

And other references to McD being the greatest "offensive mind"

http://i679.photobucket.com/albums/vv157/berrycoins/chuck.gif

eddie mac
09-13-2009, 02:48 PM

However, the bottom line IS that we counted on mistakes and won on perhaps THE luckiest play in NFL history. It was a perfect luck storm for Denver. It's a road game, so let's steal the wins when we can, but the people running around over-confident from this one deserve to get shot in the face point blank.

I'm pretty even with where I was before this game. I'd have been ****ing raging if we lost it. I was pleasantly surprised with the defense but absolutely ****ing raging with the offense. At this point I still dont think this team is anywhere near playoff calibre. The offense need to make major strides over the next couple of games. Get Kuper back, get Marshall involved and get Royal back in the damn gameplan.

TheReverend
09-13-2009, 02:51 PM
I'm pretty even with where I was before this game. I'd have been ****ing raging if we lost it. I was pleasantly surprised with the defense but absolutely ****ing raging with the offense. At this point I still dont think this team is anywhere near playoff calibre. The offense need to make major strides over the next couple of games. Get Kuper back, get Marshall involved and get Royal back in the damn gameplan.

Honestly, I expected the loss. And without bias, I don't know how ANYONE could see the game and say "Yeah, Denver deserved to win". I'm ecstatic that we did win, however. But there's way too much undue credit lobbed around here today, and I know damn well you can see it.

Dr. Broncenstein
09-13-2009, 02:53 PM

:rofl

You mean, tell the professional reciever to catch the footballs that hit him between the left and right hands? Must be the neuropathy that never existed from the knife wound that wasn't.

eddie mac
09-13-2009, 02:59 PM
Honestly, I expected the loss. And without bias, I don't know how ANYONE could see the game and say "Yeah, Denver deserved to win". I'm ecstatic that we did win, however. But there's way too much undue credit lobbed around here today, and I know damn well you can see it.

For sure. If we hadn't have come up with the luckiest play of this decade we'd be 0-1, downbeat and gurning about the same defensive issues, i.e not being able to stop an offense when it really mattered.

The bottom line is the defense needs to play like it did aside from that drive for the full 60 mins and the team needs to keep Kern off the field as much as possible, anymore than 4-5 punts in a game is an utter failure of the offense.

eddie mac
09-13-2009, 03:00 PM

You mean, tell the professional reciever to catch the footballs that hit him between the left and right hands? Must be the neuropathy that never existed from the knife wound that wasn't.

Think I used the wrong language there Dr. I meant to say get him in gameshape and in tune with our new system.

TheReverend
09-13-2009, 03:02 PM
For sure. If we hadn't have come up with the luckiest play of this decade we'd be 0-1, downbeat and gurning about the same defensive issues, i.e not being able to stop an offense when it really mattered.

The bottom line is the defense needs to play like it did aside from that drive for the full 60 mins and the team needs to keep Kern off the field as much as possible, anymore than 4-5 punts in a game is an utter failure of the offense.

100% agree.

Reading the board, we just won the SB...

Sadly, KC almost took out Baltimore with their back-up QB who has a career worth of failure, so it's looking grim for us, imo.

lazarus4444
09-13-2009, 03:02 PM
rev i think folks are just relieved to see the defense allowed so few points. The D needs to not play soft zone in a prevent a win defense, they should have kept attacking. Orton turned the ball over zero times but made a huge mental mistake when he took the sack.

I don't think mcdaniels is married to orton either, mcd was seriously pissed after his mental mistake. To be a playoff team we cannot have mental mistakes of that magnitude, it almost cost the broncos the game.

Dawkins was flying all over the place. Andra Davis was a good pickup, hagan showed why we extended his contract and Alphonso Smith, wow. Champ is back with that tip for the first int and kudos most of all to Stokely for being the consummate professional.

Did we show we are a playoff team today? No.

Did we show improvement in the Defense? Yes.

Did we show improvement in Offense? No.

Did we show improvement in special teams? Yes.

I liked how they played hard and I'm happy with their playing hard. Am I happy with their performance overall? Actually, yes. But i'm not going to say we're going to the superbowl right now. A LOT of mistakes were made but the point is we WON, and in the end winning is all that matters. THey have a lot of work to do but I know mcd will do the work and coach them up and i'm sure they'll look better next week.

I'm looking at the first 3 games as tuneup games for the rest of the season. Once we play a good team we'll know where we stand. But, a good team beats the teams they should and we should have beaten the bungles and we did, nuff said.

TheReverend
09-13-2009, 03:06 PM
You're actually reiterating all of my points, Laz.

Popps
09-13-2009, 04:12 PM
but the people running around over-confident from this one deserve to get shot in the face point blank.

But Rev, who's doing that?

No one is making playoff predictions.

People are just enjoying the win, man... or trying to.

It was an encouraging performance. Even with luck, our defense the past three seasons couldn't hold anyone under 20 friggin' points.

People are encouraged. That's not a bad thing, bro.

DarkHorse30
09-13-2009, 04:19 PM

Listen,

Speaking of kidding yourself....

NEW offense
NEW defense
8 new starters on Defense
NEW QB
NEW HC, DC and OC and most position coaches

.....and you think committing no turnovers on offense....while your defense holds an explosive offense to a shutout, on the road, through 3.9 quarters is nothing to be optimistic about?

Meanwhile, Spags has those rams playing at a very professional level. Speaking of shutouts....

UberBroncoMan
09-13-2009, 04:24 PM
Both the Broncos and Bengals D also need to thank their 12th defender today "The Dropped Pass."

Merlin
09-13-2009, 04:28 PM
I still don't care for Cincy's offence as a measuring stick, that said, this point is worth repeating, especially considering the TOP in the first half (and one ****ing down by the offence). This is the NFL, and having to play defence with that kind of output at offence...it is very impressive they kept them out for 58 mins.

Rock Chalk
09-13-2009, 04:30 PM

This is what I was arguing with you about Rev.

How come we counted on mistakes but Cincy didn't when we clearly made as many or more mistakes?

Cincy counted on our mistakes to be in a game winning TD drive in teh first place.

BroncoBuff
09-13-2009, 04:31 PM
Davis is a stud
You are one courageous sumbitch there pal ...

Andra looked good, but I dunno, his rep is not great around the league I've noticed.

Dawkins was kinda soft in mid-deep coverage, I wonder if he'd pitch a Lynch-like-tantrum if we wanted to use him just in situations?

Agree the recievers' stats will suffer without Jay (maybe not TEs, but WRs).

Merlin
09-13-2009, 04:34 PM
Even with luck, our defense the past three seasons couldn't hold anyone under 20 friggin' points.
I really don't get the necessity to make moronic exaggerations. The D from 3 seasons ago held a record for least TDs allowed and points in the first half of the season...they just stank the second half. Also, as bad as the D was in the past two seasons, I would be highly surprised they didn't hold more than one team to less than 20 frigging points, especially Since Cutler has an incredible record for games won when opposing teams were kept at less than 21 pts (only 1 loss and more than 10 wins).

Popps
09-13-2009, 04:37 PM
I really don't get the necessity to make moronic exaggerations. The D from 3 seasons ago held a record for least TDs allowed and points in the first half of the season...

Correct. The wheels came off once the Plummer/Cutler fiasco unfolded.

Since then, we've held a team under 10 points just one time, I believe.

So, the exaggeration wasn't much of one, though I was clearly just throwing it out there, hence the word "friggin'." It wasn't meant to be scientific.

However, it is scientific to say that our defense of the past TWO FULL SEASONS could only do this once... and it took our new defense ONE game.

Hope that's clear enough.

TheReverend
09-13-2009, 04:44 PM
Meanwhile, Spags has those rams playing at a very professional level. Speaking of shutouts....

And that has what to do with anything...?

Merlin
09-13-2009, 04:44 PM
Since then, we've held a team under 10 points just one time, I believe... However, it is scientific to say that our defense of the past TWO FULL SEASONS could only do this once...
Well, your point was regarding 20 points, not 10 (you play fast and loose with your own claims). That said, I can't remember a game, offhand, last season (maybe the Jets game), where I felt the D held its side.

Rock Chalk
09-13-2009, 04:45 PM
And that has what to do with anything...?

Probably that everyone is bitching about they wanted SPagnuolo.

Its a fallacious argument. As bad as Denver was last year, the Rams were damn near as bad as the Lions.

ScottXray
09-13-2009, 04:45 PM

They deserved to win it as much as Cinnci did. Cinnci had two drives the entire game that they got into scoring position with. One they choked away, the second they got a TD. Our D got some picks and pressures, and won the turnover battle in SPITE of the O doing 3 and out over and over.. Our O was in position to kick the game winner before that drive and the officials (and Orton ) took it away with some BS calls. The fact that the winning score came on a fluke play has no bearing on who played better. We went into their house and shut their O down (for the most part). Maybe they aren't very good. Maybe they are. Our O needs improvement, and the prevent still prevents winning. Their O didn't do much either.

Denver has a W , and they have an L. Statistically the game was pretty even, and the bookies in Vegas made lots of money on the Cinnci bettors, lost to the Bronco bettors. I thought we would lose a close game (less than 3 points), but I'll take the win and smile about it. Luck was a lady today.

Next week is another week. We get another chance to do better.

Rock Chalk
09-13-2009, 04:46 PM
Well, your point was regarding 20 points, not 10 (you play fast and loose with your own claims). That said, I can't remember a game, offhand, last season (maybe the Jets game), where I felt the D held its side.

Tampa Bay game.

Of course the offense wasn't that great in that game either.

TheReverend
09-13-2009, 04:47 PM
Probably that everyone is b****ing about they wanted SPagnuolo.

Its a fallacious argument. As bad as Denver was last year, the Rams were damn near as bad as the Lions.

Gross.

Popps
09-13-2009, 04:47 PM

My "friggin' 20 points" line was clearly just something I threw out, like... "wow, our defense was garbage last season."

See, they weren't LITERALLY garbage, as in discarded materials in a refuse bin... that just means that they didn't play well.

I apologize if I wasn't 100% literal. I think I'm generally pretty clear when I'm being literal, or giving statistics. (As I was in the follow-up post.)

uplink
09-13-2009, 04:55 PM
I think evaluation of player talent for the D and special teams has improved so much. Shanny was so bad in this area.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

NYBronco
09-13-2009, 04:57 PM
The D looked like an actual defense and special teams played well. I wasn't pleased when Royal brought the ball out of the end zone 4 to 5 yards deep after the Bungals TD kickoff to the Broncos.

It was the D that put the Bungals in a FG kick situation that lead to their muffing the snap. I give the D credit here otherwise the alternative would have been a TD and perhaps a muffed PAT.

TheChamp24
09-13-2009, 05:01 PM
Gotta give some props that we look better on defense. Are we going to be top 10? Hell no, but we aren't going to be bottom 5, taking what I saw from this first game IMO.

I think the offensive playcalling was bad, too often we got rolling running it, then just stop. I remember one time we had a 3rd and 2 and came out in a Shotgun 3/4 WR set and threw the ball.

Anyways, hopefully they can continue to improve and we'll be in some close, "low scoring" games as opposed to the blowouts or shootouts.

Zoobie
09-13-2009, 05:02 PM
Am I over excited? No. Happy for a win? Hell yea, just like the week 2 game last year we aren't going to give them the win because how we won was unorthodox, it's our W. Maybe they shouldn't have been playing hot potato and smacking their balls(tee hee) toward Stokely.

Offense - Le Poop.
Defense - MUCH improved, they held a team with many weapons to 7 points all of which were scored after being shut out for 59 minutes and 20 seconds. Pressure on the QB, plays in the backfield, mixing up coverages with our DBs, solid performance.
Special Teams - Our coverage was very solid and our players seem to wrap up pretty well. Kern shanked a punt. Our return game needs to get something going, and for the love of god just catch the ball.(How many times from pre season to today's game have the return men bobbled the kick off?)

TheReverend
09-13-2009, 05:17 PM
But Rev, who's doing that?

No one is making playoff predictions.

People are just enjoying the win, man... or trying to.

It was an encouraging performance. Even with luck, our defense the past three seasons couldn't hold anyone under 20 friggin' points.

People are encouraged. That's not a bad thing, bro.

Sorry for the delay, I really needed some Dairy Queen.

What I said leading up to the game was that this would be a very telling game about our team this season and about McDaniels.

I'm personally ecstatic about the END RESULT. That being said, I'm completely disgusted about how we got there.

Popps
09-13-2009, 05:20 PM
I'm personally ecstatic about the END RESULT. That being said, I'm completely disgusted about how we got there.

You should be encouraged about how we got there. We played solid D and STs for the first time in almost 3 years.

If you mean a fluke play... sure, breaks fall either way. We finally caught a great one. It's been a while.

Point is, this game really isn't about the W (though it was nice) ... it was about seeing some of the elements come together, and the realization that the sky really ISN'T falling.

I expect this offense to take a few weeks to get in the groove, and we certainly need a healthy, confident QB to do so.

DarkHorse30
09-13-2009, 05:32 PM
Sorry for the delay, I really needed some Dairy Queen.

What I said leading up to the game was that this would be a very telling game about our team this season and about McDaniels.

Fail.

This is the FIRST game for a team that has had COMPLETE makeovers on both sides of the ball.

What is "telling" about the first game when so much change has taken place? I don't get your point. You'd have to look at the first 8 games to tell what effect the new coach has on the new players.....maybe pay more attention to the last 4 games of the season and see if McDaniels has them getting better or getting worse (like Shanahan did the last 3 years)

I guess a win is good.....but it was disgusting, because we didn't put up 500 yards, score 23 points and give up 30? I believe you're going to be completely bored with this team.

TheReverend
09-13-2009, 05:42 PM
You should be encouraged about how we got there. We played solid D and STs for the first time in almost 3 years.

If you mean a fluke play... sure, breaks fall either way. We finally caught a great one. It's been a while.

Point is, this game really isn't about the W (though it was nice) ... it was about seeing some of the elements come together, and the realization that the sky really ISN'T falling.

I expect this offense to take a few weeks to get in the groove, and we certainly need a healthy, confident QB to do so.

And, yes, we absolutely should've played solid D and STs against a line in flux and a QB who hadn't played in nearly a year (not hindsight, check footsteps cinci thread for my page worth of talking about this).

What's sad was that we considered playing the same OFFENSIVE football we played all pre-season. We had I believe TWO deep throws.... neither were completed but for god's sake they made me feel better based on the merit of keeping defenses honest so we don't face 5 under in every singleback personnel grouping.

Fail.

This is the FIRST game for a team that has had COMPLETE makeovers on both sides of the ball.

What is "telling" about the first game when so much change has taken place? I don't get your point. You'd have to look at the first 8 games to tell what effect the new coach has on the new players.....maybe pay more attention to the last 4 games of the season and see if McDaniels has them getting better or getting worse (like Shanahan did the last 3 years)

I guess a win is good.....but it was disgusting, because we didn't put up 500 yards, score 23 points and give up 30? I believe you're going to be completely bored with this team.

Fail.

No one's talking to your dumb ass.

Drek
09-13-2009, 05:43 PM

If he's married to Orton then what was that on the sideline after Orton took the sack to put us out of field goal range? A spousal quarrel?

McDaniels wants to look decisive and in command. That is why he named a starter so early and why he's stuck by Orton through a somewhat rough pre-season. But he isn't married to him. He'll go to Chris Simms the second he feels Simms gives him the best chance to win.

As long as we keep winning its Orton's job. But if he keeps making the mental mistakes that held him back from an otherwise solid day today he's going to get benched very shortly after anything resembling a losing streak. Maybe even one win.

Real short leash.

colonelbeef
09-13-2009, 06:11 PM

qft.

Popps
09-13-2009, 06:12 PM
As long as we keep winning its Orton's job. But if he keeps making the mental mistakes that held him back from an otherwise solid day today he's going to get benched very shortly after anything resembling a losing streak. Maybe even one win.

Real short leash.

Probably true, though I think Orton will improve with time and a healthy hand.
I think it's a time/confidence thing with this offense.

Think of Matt Cassel last year in the first couple of games, and then look late i the season. He looked very in command.

But, if Orton doesn't work out, we have other options. We're not winning a SB this year. We're getting a winning foundation in place.

I like Brandstater, as well.

DarkHorse30
09-13-2009, 07:27 PM
And, yes, we absolutely should've played solid D and STs against a line in flux and a QB who hadn't played in nearly a year (not hindsight, check footsteps cinci thread for my page worth of talking about this).

What's sad was that we considered playing the same OFFENSIVE football we played all pre-season. We had I believe TWO deep throws.... neither were completed but for god's sake they made me feel better based on the merit of keeping defenses honest so we don't face 5 under in every singleback personnel grouping.

Fail.

No one's talking to your dumb ass.

except you, einstein. I still can't believe you think Denver should have it ALL together and look like a team that knows each other.....after ONE game?

How's the guy supposed to wing throws downfield with a busted index finger? Denver won the game despite having 2 injured QBs and a rook QB that was inactive. I'd call that pretty impressive, especially on the road against a team that was supposed to beat us by at least a touchdown. And the defense looked 100% better than last year. Crazy stuff, but all good in my book.

Dedhed
09-13-2009, 07:37 PM
Not 10, 13 in reality...

No, in reality: 7

Popps
09-13-2009, 10:38 PM

It'll be interesting to see if Brandon lines up with the first team next week.