PDA

View Full Version : Too bad we missed on Rey Maualuga

mr007
09-13-2009, 02:24 PM
That dude was a baller today for Cinci. No sign of Ayers :(.

Killericon
09-13-2009, 02:25 PM
Alphonso Smith!

TheChamp24
09-13-2009, 02:26 PM
This is why Rey Rey is so overrated, he makes a big hit and somehow that means he is sooooo good.

Rohirrim
09-13-2009, 02:28 PM
You must not have been here for the draft. Maualuga and Sanchez come from USC, ergo, they suck. You should have heard the expertise flowing. ;D

theAPAOps5
09-13-2009, 02:30 PM
I would have been happy with him but I am ecstatic about Alphonso Smith that guy just makes plays.

mr007
09-13-2009, 02:31 PM
This is why Rey Rey is so overrated, he makes a big hit and somehow that means he is sooooo good.

Umm did you watch the game? He was all over the place on ST, made some huge D plays.

Br0nc0Buster
09-13-2009, 02:33 PM
Its early to make any judgements on Ayers as far as longterm

But Alphonso had a very solid game today

TheReverend
09-13-2009, 02:35 PM
Remarkable the people still trashing Rey...

The guy's playing over the TE, playing remarkably, did well in coverage, oh AND it's his first NFL game at the spot, and he wasn't built for a 4-3... but hey, whatever...

Busy laughing at the idiots that bothered to register to post on a sport they clearly don't understand.

GoBroncos84
09-13-2009, 02:38 PM
My dream first round and mock had us taking Maualuga and Moreno in the first round. After we took Knowshon and still had Rey on the board at 18 I was screaming at my TV to pick him. Then when he was still on the board in the 2nd round I was hoping we would trade up. Then we traded up, and again I screamed at the TV for Rey. We took Alphonso, who I have loved so far. Rey went the very next pick to Cincy...

I hope Ayers proves to be an all-pro. He has to be if the Cutler trade is going to be even remotely justified. But I really, really wanted Maualuga.

bronco0608
09-13-2009, 02:41 PM

The guy's playing over the TE, playing remarkably, did well in coverage, oh AND it's his first NFL game at the spot, and he wasn't built for a 4-3... but hey, whatever...

Busy laughing at the idiots that bothered to register to post on a sport they clearly don't understand.

You shouldn't be throwing stones from a glass house, kid.

Wasn't it you that tried to argue the 30th ranked defense in the league was solid? Hilarious!

Mr.Meanie
09-13-2009, 02:42 PM
Rey Rey was great in the game, but so was A. Smith. Dude was all over the field!

TheReverend
09-13-2009, 02:43 PM
You shouldn't be throwing stones from a glass house, kid.

Wasn't it you that tried to argue the 30th ranked defense in the league was solid? Hilarious!

Pretty sure you don't know wtf you're talking about...

bronco0608
09-13-2009, 02:44 PM
Rey six tackles were AMAZING. I mean, absolutely freaking AMAZING!

He should have been the first pick of the draft! Did you see the way he tackled the ball carrier. WOW!

/sarcasm

NYBronco
09-13-2009, 02:47 PM
Shoulda, woulda, coulda... if only Denver drafted Michael Crabtree.

Gcver2ver3
09-13-2009, 02:53 PM
That dude was a baller today for Cinci. No sign of Ayers :(.

you guys kill me with the level of effort you all put into complaining...

instead of starting a thread about how WE NAILED IT picking Alphonso Smith...

instead you start a thread about how we missed on a player that everyone in the league passed on at least once...

unreal...

bronco0608
09-13-2009, 03:00 PM
Rey had TWO solo tackles today! Did you guys see those TWO solo tackles! I mean, WOOOOWW!

TheReverend
09-13-2009, 03:02 PM
Rey had TWO solo tackles today! Did you guys see those TWO solo tackles! I mean, WOOOOWW!

You didn't actually get to watch the game, did you?

bronco0608
09-13-2009, 03:11 PM
You didn't actually get to watch the game, did you?

Maybe should be the official stat keeper for the NFL. Because obvioulsy, you are seeing some **** they aren't. Good luck with that.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2009091303/2009/REG1/broncos@bengals/analyze/box-score

But believe me, those two solo tackles were AMAZING! He should have the first pick of the draft!!! Ha!

Bronx33
09-13-2009, 03:11 PM
Alphonso Smith!

nuff said...

bfoflcommish
09-13-2009, 03:13 PM
Maybe should be the official stat keeper for the NFL. Because obvioulsy, you are seeing some **** they aren't. Good luck with that.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2009091303/2009/REG1/broncos@bengals/analyze/box-score

But believe me, those two solo tackles were AMAZING! He should have the first pick of the draft!!! Ha!

so becuase they arent on the stat sheet the player made no impact on a play???

SureShot
09-13-2009, 03:16 PM
I have a feeling this thread is going to be fun to watch.

ZONA
09-13-2009, 03:21 PM

For real. He was nowhere in the first half at all and even on that big shot to Moreno, it was really #31 who gave the lick, Rey was just sorta coming down on the back of him. He had a handful of nice plays in the second half so let's just leave it as it is. Decent 2nd half of a game by him. Nothing to get all pumped about and certainly nothing worth it's own thread. Get real.

mr007
09-13-2009, 03:36 PM
you guys kill me with the level of effort you all put into complaining...

instead of starting a thread about how WE NAILED IT picking Alphonso Smith...

instead you start a thread about how we missed on a player that everyone in the league passed on at least once...

unreal...

Hey dip****, I wasn't complaining.

Cool Breeze
09-13-2009, 03:37 PM
Alphonso Smith!

This!

enjolras
09-13-2009, 03:41 PM
I was dissapointed we didn't jump on him as well. I'm thrilled with both Moreno and Smith, however.

Hopefully Ayers is just pulling a Justin Tuck and eventually the light will just go on....

Rock Chalk
09-13-2009, 03:43 PM
Umm did you watch the game? He was all over the place on ST, made some huge D plays.

Yeah he had a few good plays. But he was also out of position on a number of plays and really only had a good 3rd quarter. Was completely absent in the first half and the 4th quarter.

oubronco
09-13-2009, 03:45 PM
Its early to make any judgements on Ayers as far as longterm

But Alphonso had a very solid game today

Did Ayers even play

TheReverend
09-13-2009, 03:47 PM
Yeah he had a few good plays. But he was also out of position on a number of plays and really only had a good 3rd quarter. Was completely absent in the first half and the 4th quarter.

Shame Denver couldn't capitalize on a defender being "out of position" then (14 run by Buck did not have Rey on the field)

Br0nc0Buster
09-13-2009, 03:51 PM
Did Ayers even play

yes
I saw him in there on a special teams play
and I think he blitzed one time as well, couldnt tell if it was him but it looked like him

Jekyll15Hyde
09-13-2009, 03:56 PM
so that we can have another out of place 4-3 linebacker to keep DJ from being lonely? No thanks

Rey looked OK but there was no chance we were going to take him.

Gcver2ver3
09-13-2009, 03:57 PM
Hey dip****, I wasn't complaining.

have u bothered reading 80% of the reaction on your thread?...

you're coming off as if you're complaining to me...

how bout you just keep the name calling to yourself and enjoy the win...is that too hard?...

TheReverend
09-13-2009, 04:03 PM
so that we can have another out of place 4-3 linebacker to keep DJ from being lonely? No thanks

Rey looked OK but there was no chance we were going to take him.

Because he's a proto-typical 3-4 ILB and Cinci is the one that has him playing out of place, actually...?

Was this serious?

mr007
09-13-2009, 04:05 PM
have u bothered reading 80% of the reaction on your thread?...

you're coming off as if you're complaining to me...

how bout you just keep the name calling to yourself and enjoy the win...is that too hard?...

I'm completely enjoying the win.

I am just also looking at what other first round picks are doing out there and liked what I saw from Rey.

If you don't like something, how about keeping snide comments to yourself and I won't have to call you a dip****.:curtsey:

BroncoBuff
09-13-2009, 04:06 PM
It's way early to start in on Ayers i think ... Moreno too.

broncosteven
09-13-2009, 04:20 PM

But WOOOOOO we won

GO BRoncos WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

we won the game go broncos.

Oh and Moreno, Ayers, were non factors and I didn't see Quinn on the field but Smith was solid, Mcbean was on the field but we got one good player out of this years draft!

Gooooooo Broncos !

Woooo UnicornHappyLand rocks wooooooooo

Jekyll15Hyde
09-13-2009, 04:27 PM
Because he's a proto-typical 3-4 ILB and Cinci is the one that has him playing out of place, actually...?

Was this serious?

stand corrected. I was looking at Cincy playing him at SAM and should have said that he wouldnt be a good OLB.

BroncoBuff
09-13-2009, 04:28 PM
who were the inactives?

Drek
09-13-2009, 04:45 PM
who were the inactives?
QB Tom Brandstater, S Josh Barrett, DT Chris Baker, OT Brandon Gorin, OLB Jarvis Moss, DE Le Kevin Smith, WR Brandon Lloyd.

From HERE (http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2009/09/13/kuper-inactive-will-not-play/)

Maualuga looked pretty good today, but then so did Andra Davis. Better than Maualuga in fact.

During the draft when picks #18 and #37 came up I'll admit I was thinking both would have been good spots to grab Maualuga. But like I said before the draft, Nolan knows LBs and if he didn't think we needed Rey Rey then I'm fine with that.

Maualuga was spared work on a lot of passing downs though, coming off the field in the Bengals' nickel package. Scheffler and Graham where also running free A LOT today, most notably when Maualuga and Roy Williams lined up to cover them. We had a few nice plays to each, would've been a lot more if Orton would have done a better job reading defenses today.

For what its worth, I actually thought Ayers looked decent in limited action. He had one solid rush that I'd consider a QB hurry and if I recall he also drew a holding call on another play. He also looked like he made a mistake in zone (that or Champ did, but I doubt it) on the first big pass play of the game to Chris Henry. He's got a ways to go, but he's got a lot of pluses going for him. Assuming Nolan and his assistants stay around Ayers could develop into a weapon in a few years.

27atwater
09-13-2009, 04:48 PM
I saw Ayers a few times today. Not stellar, but he got some pressure and seemed to cover his area well when in pass coverage. I wouldn't say he played poorly. Still developing...

footstepsfrom#27
09-13-2009, 04:56 PM
He's going to be a stud. I thought he knocked Moreno out on that play he got his bell rung on. I wish we'd traded up for him instead of Quinn but at least it looks like Smith is going to be a player. You can't hit on every pick though.

Popps
09-13-2009, 04:58 PM
The jury is still way out on Ray M. He's a hard-ass hitter. We'll see how he ends up playing, technically.

Looks pretty solid, thus far.

Then again, Davis had a great day. I only saw DJ make one bad read, so he wasn't an issue out there.

I do think we need to develop some young guys inside, though.

Love Larsen and Woody, but I'm not sure they're real, viable starting options. (Maybe Larsen if he improves.)

Dedhed
09-13-2009, 05:01 PM
I don't think anyone will be surprised if Rey makes a bigger rookie impact than Ayers.

Gcver2ver3
09-13-2009, 05:03 PM
I'm completely enjoying the win.

I am just also looking at what other first round picks are doing out there and liked what I saw from Rey.

If you don't like something, how about keeping snide comments to yourself and I won't have to call you a dip****.:curtsey:

rey wasn't a 1st round pick...

you continue to sound misinformed...

keep at at it killer...Ha!

Drek
09-13-2009, 05:06 PM
He's going to be a stud. I thought he knocked Moreno out on that play he got his bell rung on. I wish we'd traded up for him instead of Quinn but at least it looks like Smith is going to be a player. You can't hit on every pick though.

Moreno screaming wasn't because of Rey's hit. It was because his leg got rolled by a blocker (Hillis?) and Roy Williams. He was probably afraid he'd torn another ligament after just getting back.

Notice how he popped right up but favored his right leg? How the trainers where looking at his right leg, not his head? Rey's hit had basically zero to do with Moreno, other than it coming at the end of Moreno's best carry of the day.

27atwater
09-13-2009, 05:10 PM
As has been said for years, Maualuga=Lavar Arrington. Used correctly, he can be devastating. But he can be exposed. He can't defend the pass and he will overpursue. But he is a beast most of the time.

ZONA
09-13-2009, 05:21 PM

Dude, watch the game again. Rey didn't make the big hit. He was dragging down Moreno from the side and #31 came in to lay the big hit.

mr007
09-13-2009, 05:32 PM
rey wasn't a 1st round pick...

you continue to sound misinformed...

keep at at it killer...Ha!

Ohhh jeez I meant first day pick. Get off it weirdo...

mr007
09-13-2009, 05:34 PM
The jury is still way out on Ray M. He's a hard-ass hitter. We'll see how he ends up playing, technically.

Looks pretty solid, thus far.

Then again, Davis had a great day. I only saw DJ make one bad read, so he wasn't an issue out there.

I do think we need to develop some young guys inside, though.

Love Larsen and Woody, but I'm not sure they're real, viable starting options. (Maybe Larsen if he improves.)

I agree on Davis and DJ, honestly I saw that one bad read on the run (where he went right up the middle, assuming you're meaning the same play) from DJ and kind of assumed he was doing it all game. Davis was quite the pleasant surprise.

uplink
09-13-2009, 06:31 PM
I saw Ayers a few times today. Not stellar, but he got some pressure and seemed to cover his area well when in pass coverage. I wouldn't say he played poorly. Still developing...

I didn't notice Ayers playing today.

McD mentioned in his post game interview (http://www.denverbroncos.com/index.php) that some player couldn't go today due to a pregame injury in the locker I thought it might be Ayers. Wonder who it was?

BroncoBuff
09-13-2009, 06:32 PM
Wasn't Rey selected right after Alphonso?

That's the relevant compairison, not Ayers.

Elway777
09-14-2009, 02:27 AM
The guy is real Nasty player. Knocked Moreno out of the game and really drilled Marshall. He is one player that can really intimadate other players. I wish the Broncos would of drafted him.

UberBroncoMan
09-14-2009, 04:14 AM

I found Ayers zero tackles far more impressive.

Drek
09-14-2009, 06:07 AM
I found Ayers zero tackles far more impressive.

Your point?

Ayers was known to be a project. The guy spent more time at DT than DE in college, let alone playing 3-4 OLB.

Maualuga was supposed to be an instant day one starter. Turns out he can't beat out a 31 year old Dhani Jones for the MLB job and so is a two down SOLB.

Not saying that Rey Rey isn't going to be a good player. I think he is very likely to be, love his attitude on the field, but there is a reason every team passed on him once and then about a 1/4th of the league did it again. He isn't what USC advertised him to be.

Mr. Elway
09-14-2009, 08:16 AM
I didn't notice Ayers playing today.

McD mentioned in his post game interview (http://www.denverbroncos.com/index.php) that some player couldn't go today due to a pregame injury in the locker I thought it might be Ayers. Wonder who it was?

Pretty sure that was Spencer Larsen, who got injured in the locker room.

From what I remember seeing Ayers was in on 3rd down at various times throughout the game.

Peoples Champ
09-14-2009, 08:20 AM
I agree, I would have loved Ray Ray, he looks like a stud, regardless of his pass defense skills, oh well, to late now, lets just hope ayers can do something

ohiobronco2
09-14-2009, 08:28 AM
I'd rather have pile jumper Laurinaitis. 14 total tackles, 10 solo, 1 fumble recovery and a tackle for loss.

barryr
09-14-2009, 08:30 AM
The Broncos missed out on a lot of talent on the defensive side of the ball the last decade and the ones they took, have mostly been finding other lines of work, much less doing anything great in the NFL. I'm happy they actually drafted a defensive player in Smith who looks like he can play and do so in a big way.

Garcia Bronco
09-14-2009, 08:53 AM
He was hit and miss all day.