PDA

View Full Version : Official Mike Nolan Appreciation Thread

Killericon
09-13-2009, 01:10 PM
http://www.esquire.com/cm/esquire/images/mike-nolan-WI-0907-lg.jpg

ilu

BroncoBuff
09-13-2009, 01:12 PM
Started slow, but got better and better and better.

Goobzilla
09-13-2009, 01:14 PM
I did not appreciate him calling off the dogs on Cincy's TD drive. Palmer was 6 for 6 and didn't have a hand laid on him. Why stop blitzing when it had been working pretty well? Other than that great game by Nolan and the "D", I think I might have a man crush on Alphonso Smith!

RunSilentRunDeep
09-13-2009, 01:16 PM
Didn't like how he went soft at the end, but he's done a great job in a very short time.

SoCalBronco
09-13-2009, 01:19 PM
Many props to Mike Nolan.

Killericon
09-13-2009, 01:19 PM
Part of me doesn't want him to do TOO good, so he doesn't get a Head Coaching gig somewhere next year.

Seamus
09-13-2009, 01:21 PM
One of the dolts announcing the game actually threw him a complement, I was surprised.

Nolan throwing several different schemes with blitzes and pressure coming at different angles, all over the place keeping veteran Carson Palmer guessing.

Then the CBS team talked up Cincy's O and how the Denver D did a great job keeping them in check, except the last drive. Hindsight, always 20/20 and clear.

Kid A
09-13-2009, 01:24 PM
1st half they were aided a lot by Cincy shooting itself in the foot, but by the second half they were legitimately playing some D. Plenty of sack, Alphonso Smith was a beast in his 1st game...last drive aside, you have to like the progress. Nobody will mistakes us for the Steelers, but this was a pleasant surprise on the whole.

BroncoBuff
09-13-2009, 01:24 PM
Guys, how can you forget the defense surrendered a TD at the end? Amnesia?

That was clutch time, and they gave it up ....

I agree they looked better as the game went on, but there's work to do.

snowspot66
09-13-2009, 01:27 PM
Anything to complain right?

Clockwork Orange
09-13-2009, 01:27 PM
Just rip the passive, Slowik-esque zone out of the defensive playbook and I'll be happy. I loved how aggressive the defense was for all but the final drive of the game.

Killericon
09-13-2009, 01:28 PM
Guys, how can you forget the defense surrendered a TD at the end? Amnesia?

That was clutch time, and they gave it up ....

I agree they looked better as the game went on, but there's work to do.

Yeah, how dare they allow 7 points in a game?

footstepsfrom#27
09-13-2009, 01:28 PM
Nolan's getting more props due to Stokely. WHY does every coach in the NFL go to a freaking prevent defense when it almost never works?

Some good stuff in other areas. Smith looked good, so did the pressure when they brought the LB's but there is much to work on. Ocho killed us and they got run on pretty good. Much better than last year overall though.

Popps
09-13-2009, 01:29 PM
Anything to complain right?

Keep in mind, bro... these widows lost today.

Stokes killed their dream of an opening day loss with that TD.

Our defense gave up 7 points, and these sad, sorry, defeated people are going to complain about it... after our defense last year gave up almost a league record.

Again, you knew the "loss" was going to be hard for the widows to take. Expect bashing at every turn.

Just enjoy the win for yourselves. Most of us are.

Punisher
09-13-2009, 01:30 PM
Thanks Nolan too bad he wasn't here last year........

BroncoBuff
09-13-2009, 01:32 PM
Sheesh, wake the f up. AWESOME MIRACLE to win, but the defense folded in crunch time.

ScottXray
09-13-2009, 01:35 PM
I give props to the D no matter what the score. They did great.
Or don't you remember Slowick and the D LAST year?

Offense needs work, and we got lucky...but we were due for some luck
after all the BAD shyt that went down..(dropped passes, holding calls (and Orton taking that sack late)).

Cinnci got a late score against a D that was pretty gassed, and they were STILL making some plays. They didn't give up long runs , long Passes and they pretty much got the Cinn O off the field and got the ball back the whole game. So they lost the shut out...which looked like curtains at the time....they played until the final gun. T.O. differential was + 3 by the way...

Cinnci no more deserved to win than we did.

If we can't be good all the timeI'll take a little luck now and then.

Orange_Beard
09-13-2009, 01:36 PM
Mr. Non-clutch.

That last series was God Awful.

Odysseus
09-13-2009, 01:37 PM
The Broncos defense has a knack for failing before the end of the season so color me jaded. My hope is that they get better at sacks, picks and stopping plays up the middle. Josh proved himself to be smarter than advertised by holding his guys tough and stealing this win. I hope the defense starts sparking the offense and we see them getting after the ball more. A game ball does not a season make.

That all said GREAT job defense!

Odysseus
09-13-2009, 01:38 PM
The Broncos defense has a knack for failing before the end of the season so color me jaded. My hope is that they get better at sacks, picks and stopping plays up the middle. Josh proved himself to be smarter than advertised by holding his guys tough and stealing this win. I hope the defense starts sparking the offense and we see them getting after the ball more. A game ball does not a season make.

That all said GREAT job defense!

gyldenlove
09-13-2009, 01:39 PM
Loved his aggressive style and his blitzing, hated his conservative zone defense on the last drive.

Popps
09-13-2009, 01:39 PM
Mr. Non-clutch.

That last series was God Awful.

Actually, Orton put us in a position to easily win the game... and our O-line made two gigantic mistakes.

The sack came after we were put in a 3rd and long spot... a spot where bad things often do happen.

He should have ditched the ball, but he didn't throw a stupid INT, either.

Oh yea, and... we won.

:strong:

Kid A
09-13-2009, 01:40 PM
Sheesh, wake the f up. AWESOME MIRACLE to win, but the defense folded in crunch time.

Nobody is saying it was a great performance on that last drive, but don't you think there were plenty of positives considering they gave up only 7 pts in the entire game? (nevermind when they were scored on, it shouldn't matter when you only give up 7 pts)

This thread was started to appreciate the improvement we saw today on D and point out the positives we saw (and there were plenty) from Nolan's squad, so making your first post on the thread about the one major lowlight comes across as an intentionally pessimistic response.

Hogan11
09-13-2009, 01:40 PM
F'n A Mike....I'm appreciating big time!

PRBronco
09-13-2009, 01:42 PM
Good thread KI ;)

Hogan11
09-13-2009, 01:44 PM

Check him out...all business, no bullshat. :thumbs:

lex
09-13-2009, 01:44 PM
Actually, Orton put us in a position to easily win the game... and our O-line made two gigantic mistakes.

The sack came after we were put in a 3rd and long spot... a spot where bad things often do happen.

He should have ditched the ball, but he didn't throw a stupid INT, either.

Oh yea, and... we won.

:strong:

Orton put them in position? Graham made a great catch by the sidelines and the play that was called back was a screen play. Wow. Great job, Orton.

Rohirrim
09-13-2009, 01:45 PM
I give a big :thumbs: to Nolan. Nice contrast to the Slowik D.

Tombstone RJ
09-13-2009, 01:46 PM
Andra Davis had a great game, props to him and Haggan for great play. Nolan knows how to use the talent he has. Alphonso Smith had a great game too. All in all, Nolan put these guys into position to make great plays. Defense Wins For Denver!! What a concept!

Jason in LA
09-13-2009, 01:50 PM
The D really surprised me. It's just one game, but I'd say at this point they are way better than last year.

But I don't get the play calling on the final drive. What happened to the blitzes? Just let Cincy march right down the field. Other than the final drive the D played great and the play calling was great.

BroncoBuff
09-13-2009, 01:51 PM
Andra Davis did play well ... the pundits were ragging on him, but he was pretty good.

Best part of the D today was how they got better and better as the game progressed. The 90 yard game (almost)-winning drive was alarming though. A good defense closes games out in those siituations.

cabronco
09-13-2009, 02:01 PM
Props to Nolan. This defense looks a heck of alot better than they fielded last year. Being a last placed defense last year to holding a team on the road to 7 is big. Granted its just one game, but I like how the D played most of the game.

bpc
09-13-2009, 02:04 PM
Many props to Mike for the win. The one card i've held onto despite being disappointed with Mike leaving and Cutler gone was that we have finally embraced the 3-4.

I thought our guys looked great, especially against a offense like Cincy.

Let's hope they can keep it rolling.

bowtown
09-13-2009, 02:50 PM
Mike Nolan for head coach.

Bronx33
09-13-2009, 02:52 PM
he gets 3 quarters of love from me and wheres the darrell reid love?..

BroncoBuff
09-13-2009, 02:54 PM
he gets 3 quarters of love from me and wheres the darrell reid love?..That Reid sack was huge .... I love the defensive blitz schemes, did u see them disguising and stunting? F Slowick, that's not brain surgery.

KevinJames
09-13-2009, 03:00 PM
Props to Nolan but if he calls games conservative at the end like that we will be in for some heartbreaking losses. Tho we wouldn't be talking like this if we actually produced on offense.

so yes props to Nolan but don't go into that zone 3 man rush non sense......reminds me too much of our past years D.

bombay
09-13-2009, 03:01 PM
Superb defensive effort.

Greatspirits
09-13-2009, 03:09 PM

sheesh! Whatever!, if this would have been last year they would have folded in the first quarter! They give up "ONE" bad drive! There's a lot to build on for the rest of the season. Get ready for a lot of 10-7 games, which is fine with me!

Dr. Broncenstein
09-13-2009, 03:18 PM
Just think what Nolan and his defense can do with 3-4 NFL calibur personell. I can't wait.

rastaman
09-13-2009, 05:17 PM

ilu

Its still early yet! Nolan has yet to juggle the line up b/c of injuries that will obviously come during an 18 week season. I'm not getting my hopes up quite yet.

Br0nc0Buster
09-13-2009, 05:23 PM
Nolan did a fantastic job today and preparing them this week

Slowik really was as dumb as I thought, I mean this was the best performance I have seen from that side of the ball since the middle of the 06 season

Killericon
09-20-2009, 03:52 PM
Bump.

This is ****ing awesome.

Punisher
09-20-2009, 04:01 PM
Thank you !!!!!!!!!!!!

Punisher
09-20-2009, 04:06 PM
http://www.greeleyvoice.com/images/nolanukeurosportyahoo.jpg
:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy :notworthy

lex
09-20-2009, 04:08 PM
6.5 points a game. We caught Palmer when he was probably a little rusty and Cleveland is Cleveland. But, even with that, its nice to see Nolan's work with the D so far. The defense is what needed the most work and so far its the unit that has looked the best. Massive kudos to Nolan.

Killericon
09-20-2009, 04:10 PM
Back to back single digit performances.

Righteous.

listopencil
09-20-2009, 04:17 PM
Looking good so far.

BroncoBuff
09-20-2009, 04:22 PM
Just got back ... in the stadium you can really see, there's no set formations, they move around all over.

Terms like "3-4" and "4-3" don't really fit ... they all move around.

WABronco
09-20-2009, 04:23 PM
Dumervil: Denver's one man pass rush.

DenverBrit
09-20-2009, 04:30 PM
Nolan, Nunnely and Martindale have proved to be the best off-season pickups so far.

Special teams coverage also has improved.

Kudos to the entire team! :thumbsup:

KevinJames
09-20-2009, 04:35 PM
McD put together a great staff sometimes thats half the battle right there.

NYBronco
09-20-2009, 04:41 PM
It's a good feeling to see the defense shutdown an opponent on third down and force a punt, not to mention the pressure, sacks and turnovers.

BroncoBuff
09-20-2009, 04:43 PM
It's a good feeling to see the defense shutdown an opponent on third down and force a punt, not to mention the pressure, sacks and turnovers.
And the turnovers and sacks came at the right time ...

BroncoBuff
09-20-2009, 04:43 PM
Cincinnati won in Green Bay today .... so the Bengals are better than we thought.

UberBroncoMan
09-20-2009, 04:51 PM
I think Dawkins should be included in this... he's actually out there QB'ing our D.

Still, I'm very happy with what I've seen so far.

BroncoInSkinland
09-20-2009, 05:30 PM
:notworthy Mike Nolan :notworthy

Didn't think it was possible with the burnt leftovers from last year, aging FA pickups and UDFA's but he is getting the job done better than I would have hoped for if our first five picks had been front 7 D. He is THE man. Again...

:notworthy Mike Nolan :notworthy

boppool
09-20-2009, 06:14 PM
Defense still needs to improve, but it still is remarkable where Broncos defense's at. Not only he installed a new scheme in a short period of time, but he did it with players from old regime, cast-offs and old players...
Keep it up! Thanks coach Nolan

s0phr0syne
09-22-2009, 11:45 AM
They've posted a pretty good, lengthy interview with Nolan over at DB.com. It's pretty far ranging, from asking about Denver related topics to the Nolan's opinion of the impact of the salary cap on the NFL. Check it out!

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=348

Bronco Yoda
09-22-2009, 11:51 AM
So far so good...

Killericon
09-27-2009, 04:00 PM
Bump. 7, 6, 3. At this rate, we're gonna shut them out next week!

gyldenlove
09-27-2009, 04:10 PM
Mike Nolan has been awesome, absolutely an excellent hire. I thought we would get Dom Capers, but I am really happy with the work Nolan has done so far, he has that group playing really aggressive football and he seems to be excellent at taking advantage of the strengths of the individual players.

Punisher
09-27-2009, 04:15 PM
Mikey Is making Doom a Pro Bowl player

Odysseus
09-27-2009, 04:17 PM
Nolan was an awesome hire. Amazing win.

chex
09-27-2009, 04:48 PM
It's not just the low point total that has me jacked, it's the so much better tackling and ball defense. I love seeing corners draped all over the WR, and making plays on the ball, something we haven't seen in forever, and watching the first tackler bring a guy down, or at least stop them enough til help arrives. I don't see as much of backs breaking tackles to get to the next level, and receivers getting gobs of yards in an open field, like we have seen in recent years. This is something that we never would have seen under a Shanahan coached team. Nolan has breathed new life into this defense. It actually looks respectable!

ZONA
09-27-2009, 05:14 PM
I know we are about to get some folks on here saying we haven't played anybody yet but when you consider half the defense has new players at new positions along with new DC and new scheme, it's been extremely impressive thus far. Ever phase of the defense, run stopping, turnovers, pass defense, stopping big plays, it's all good right now.

Killericon
10-04-2009, 04:20 PM
http://www.honeyacid.net/fail/bump.gif

Bump.

Bend but don't break is back.

fontaine
10-04-2009, 04:24 PM
Those last two pass plays were all Champ Bailey. He got his hands in just in time to knock the ball away. Unbelieveable. This defense is just amazing from DJ knocking out WRs, to Dawkins playing all over the field, and the front 7 harassing the QB.

BroncoInSkinland
10-04-2009, 04:46 PM
http://www.honeyacid.net/fail/bump.gif

Bump.

Bend but don't break is back.

God forbid, this is a pressure oriented defense, the only bending we did was when we were taking risks, and they paid off. Then again I could be wrong, and I am glad you are enjoying what you see on the field, I just see something I consider to be more. This is a break the opposition defense in my opinion, one that doesn't rely on the other team to make mistakes, but instead forces them to make a bad choice.

bloodsunday
10-04-2009, 04:48 PM
We're not worthy...

Dagmar
10-04-2009, 04:50 PM
http://i38.tinypic.com/20797w1.gif

Killericon
10-04-2009, 04:56 PM
God forbid, this is a pressure oriented defense, the only bending we did was when we were taking risks, and they paid off. Then again I could be wrong, and I am glad you are enjoying what you see on the field, I just see something I consider to be more. This is a break the opposition defense in my opinion, one that doesn't rely on the other team to make mistakes, but instead forces them to make a bad choice.

Oh, I agree. I was referring to the last series.

Vegas_Bronco
10-04-2009, 05:04 PM
I knew we'd get to Romo and was really upset to see them play back for the first quarter, but eventually we brought the pressure and Romo screwed up time after time...gave us a shot at winning and that's all we needed.

Premier-Ace55
10-04-2009, 05:22 PM
I'm afraid we will lose nolan so sad but i'm enjoying it right now.

SouthStndJunkie
10-04-2009, 05:43 PM
Our defense has shocked me so far.

I thought our defensive line was going to get man handled every week.

Garcia Bronco
10-04-2009, 05:49 PM
Doom is on pace to set an all-time sack record.

BroncoInSkinland
10-04-2009, 05:49 PM

Take heart, he has already been tried as a HC and was less than successful so the chances there are lower. For another team to take him as DC they would have to outbid us, and I doubt that happens. In the meantime, we can enjoy what we have :)

snowspot66
10-04-2009, 06:16 PM

Distinct possibility. But hopefully people around the league will look at his SF experience and say he's a great DC but not a HC and stay away from him. Or maybe he'll want to stay a year or two more.

listopencil
10-04-2009, 07:19 PM
Take heart, he has already been tried as a HC and was less than successful so the chances there are lower. For another team to take him as DC they would have to outbid us, and I doubt that happens. In the meantime, we can enjoy what we have :)

Do the old Shanny trick of naming him Asst. Head Coach-Defense, it limits the ways other teams can acquire him. Oh...and pay the man.

Rohirrim
10-04-2009, 07:19 PM
All I can say about Nolan is: :notworthy

The MVPlaya
10-11-2009, 07:52 PM
Nolan deserves a lot of credit... so bump.

That stance where we still managed forced to punt after we ****ed up on ST's... and no points in the 2nd half...

He's done an AMAZING job...

Odysseus
10-11-2009, 08:09 PM
This Broncos defense is the real deal. The players are making key plays on key downs and not giving up. My biggest concern during the off season was did the players respond to the coaches and obviously that is what we are seeing.

5-0? First year coach? Next up San Diego.

Three things that I am happy about with this defense.
1. They have an offense that consistently executes.
2. Their Special Teams don't suck.
3. All the leaders on the defense are stepping up.

It's still a team sport and all credit is due to Josh McDaniel's who took on probably one of the toughest off seasons any starting coach can have and has completely reversed that.

Beantown Bronco
10-11-2009, 08:13 PM
It's official......Mike Nolan has replaced Catherine Zeta-Jones on my laminated list.

azbroncfan
10-11-2009, 10:26 PM
If Nolan keeps it up he won't be in Denver long.

SureShot
10-11-2009, 10:28 PM

That's what worries me.

Killericon
10-19-2009, 09:02 PM
http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/1766/tigerg.gif

Bronx33
10-19-2009, 09:08 PM
rough first half but he made the adjustments and brought on the heat i wasn't real happy to see the prevent on that last drive but we prevailed.

SouthCarolinaBronco
10-19-2009, 09:12 PM

I think McDaniels and Bowlen may sit down with him and say "Hey man, we got a damn good thing going. Let's keep it together and win some Super Bowls. Three or four rings from now, go get a team of your own."

I bet it'll work.

80smith
10-19-2009, 09:18 PM
I love me some Nolan

snowspot66
10-20-2009, 02:06 AM
Doom is on pace to set an all-time sack record.

With Oakland and KCx2 on the schedule and Doom sitting at 10 after six games. He may just make it.

UberBroncoMan
10-20-2009, 03:21 AM
I'm just hoping he doesn't get a coaching job next year.

Luckily Washington won't happen since Snyder hates him.

Also fortunately Shanahan and Holmgren will be on the market on top of potentially Cowher and Gruden (all of who have won Super Bowls and have winning records as head coaches unlike Nolan).

dbfan21
10-20-2009, 06:29 AM
I'm just hoping he doesn't get a coaching job next year.

Luckily Washington won't happen since Snyder hates him.

Also fortunately Shanahan and Holmgren will be on the market on top of potentially Cowher and Gruden (all of who have won Super Bowls and have winning records as head coaches unlike Nolan).

Yep. with all of the FAs and Nolan's success this year, I hope McD sits everyone down and says that we have something special here. FAs need to re-sign with the Broncos and Nolan (as well as the rest of the coaching staff) need to stay put for at least 3 more years. Imagine a Patriot-type dominance (and dare I say dynasty?) that could ensue if we keep the core group in-tact!