PDA

View Full Version : Shannahan wanted to cut Marshall?

jebures
09-13-2009, 09:41 AM
Did anyone see that on NFL countdown?

Gcver2ver3
09-13-2009, 09:43 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/

scorpio
09-13-2009, 09:43 AM
Did anyone see that on NFL countdown?

yarp

DarkHorse30
09-13-2009, 09:44 AM
yes....it's great that they sat on that story during the entire off-season so Denver and Bowlen could be trashed for 6 months.

No doubt that Marshall is a bit of a head-case (like our former QB) but I question whether he COST games for Denver.

bronco0608
09-13-2009, 09:46 AM
oh my god!!?? shanny is tearing this team apart!!@ He should have just paid the man!! oh my god!! McDoucheShanny!!

Fricking idiot!!?? Cut a pro bowl WR without even getting compenstation for him!!/? Oh my god!!/? We are going 1-15 this year!!

Oh my god!!

NYBronco
And he refused to let Slowick go... hmmm.

illbroncsfn
tired of the "offseason/drama" and ready for real football.

elsid13
09-13-2009, 09:47 AM
I am calling BS on this. Why does this story suddenly appear, when it happened months ago. Beside Shanahan would have traded Marshall before he cut him. Cutting him does nothing for the team.

Drek
09-13-2009, 09:53 AM
I am calling BS on this. Why does this story suddenly appear, when it happened months ago. Beside Shanahan would have traded Marshall before he cut him. Cutting him does nothing for the team.

If its BS Schefter will have Shanahan's side out on ESPN before the end of the day.

If we hear nothing from Shanahan's side? Hard to call BS then. Shanahan did weird ****. He only gave Jim Bates a half year, but he was all set to line Slowick up for season number 2. He started John Engelberger over Elvis Dumervil on multiple occasions. He moved DJ from position to position like some sort of scrub you're trying to find a home for, not a 1st round pick and DROY candidate his first season at WOLB. He brought back Ian Gold at stupid money. I could go on, but suffice to say that Shanahan the GM did a lot of **** that was completely irrational and did nothing to help the team.

Br0nc0Buster
09-13-2009, 09:54 AM
Brandon is a POS, but I have my doubts that the same guy who drafted Maurice Clarette and signed Travis Henry would just cut outright one of the elite talents in the league

Add in that this came from "Shanahan to coach the Chiefs" Mort, and well Ill take this one with a grain of salt

Pony Boy
09-13-2009, 09:55 AM
I tried to reach through the screen and give Chris Mortensen a ..............

Captain 'Dre
09-13-2009, 10:05 AM

It would spare the team a whole lot of drama and distraction.

What kind of price do you put on that?

uplink
09-13-2009, 10:06 AM
Appears Shanny was going to cut him and then the next day Shanny is fired. Maybe Marshall has pics on somebody, wonder what Oliver Stone thinks about this?<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

fatbronco
09-13-2009, 10:11 AM
If its BS Schefter will have Shanahan's side out on ESPN before the end of the day.

If we hear nothing from Shanahan's side? Hard to call BS then. Shanahan did weird ****. He only gave Jim Bates a half year, but he was all set to line Slowick up for season number 2. He started John Engelberger over Elvis Dumervil on multiple occasions. He moved DJ from position to position like some sort of scrub you're trying to find a home for, not a 1st round pick and DROY candidate his first season at WOLB. He brought back Ian Gold at stupid money. I could go on, but suffice to say that Shanahan the GM did a lot of **** that was completely irrational and did nothing to help the team.

I think Shanny, the GM, got way, way in over his head and the realization was the late season collapse. His legacy would have been further tarnished had he stayed to try to fix it but would have been destroyed if he quit. Perhaps his unwillingness to fire Slowick was his way forcing Bowlen's hand and fire him because there was no easy out. It's too bad, as a coach, he's one of the all time greats but at the end of his time here, he was continually trying the quick fix instead of admitting we needed to rebuild and got burned.

misturanderson
09-13-2009, 10:31 AM
It is coming from Chris Mortenson, so it is almost definitely false. Schefter is the ONLY 100% legitimate source of NFL breaking news.

Killericon
09-13-2009, 10:42 AM
After the Pro Bowl?

Wasn't he still in charge at the point?

elsid13
09-13-2009, 10:45 AM
After the Pro Bowl?

Wasn't he still in charge at the point?

Actually he wasn't. False story.

WABronco
09-13-2009, 10:51 AM
This isn't a Shanahan vs. McDaniels situation.

I find it completely in the realm of possibility. Shanny had tenure, and lots of confidence in his way. Plus he was there for the supposed hip injury fiasco. You don't think it's possible Marshall wasn't acting like a complete douche last year, too?

Gcver2ver3
09-13-2009, 10:53 AM
It is coming from Chris Mortenson, so it is almost definitely false. Schefter is the ONLY 100% legitimate source of NFL breaking news.

for those of you saying it's false...

keep in mind that his story is that Shanny informed Cutler of this the day before his firing...

so if the story is false, Cutler could immediately refute this...

i find it hard to believe that even Mort would come out with a report this bold that so easily implicates both Shanny and Cutler...

footstepsfrom#27
09-13-2009, 11:01 AM
Who was the the alleged source?

rastaman
09-13-2009, 11:04 AM
I think Shanny, the GM, got way, way in over his head and the realization was the late season collapse. His legacy would have been further tarnished had he stayed to try to fix it but would have been destroyed if he quit. Perhaps his unwillingness to fire Slowick was his way forcing Bowlen's hand and fire him because there was no easy out. It's too bad, as a coach, he's one of the all time greats but at the end of his time here, he was continually trying the quick fix instead of admitting we needed to rebuild and got burned.

Shanny was rebuilding the offense thats what he does best. Defensively Shanny doesn't know how to rebuild that side of the ball.

Hence this offseason and preseason, Mike spent time talking to teams and attending training camps of those teams that had steller defenses. He's learned his lesson and errors of his ways in preparation for returning to the NFL with a new HCing job.

NASurfer
09-13-2009, 11:56 AM
Shanny was rebuilding the offense thats what he does best. Defensively Shanny doesn't know how to rebuild that side of the ball.

Hence this offseason and preseason, Mike spent time talking to teams and attending training camps of those teams that had steller defenses. He's learned his lesson and errors of his ways in preparation for returning to the NFL with a new HCing job.
Wasn't word flying around that he was bringing Slowik with him?

Then he hasn't learned a thing. (coming from someone who was once a Shanny supporter)

cwdogg
09-13-2009, 02:31 PM
He's learned his lesson and errors of his ways in preparation for returning to the NFL with a new HCing job.

He'd be better off attending draft meetings of successful teams

bowtown
09-13-2009, 03:54 PM

I saw it on countdown straight from Schefter's mouth.

Dr. Broncenstein
09-13-2009, 03:55 PM
Shanny wouldn't have been the first to cut Marshall that year.

lostknight
09-13-2009, 03:56 PM
The timing on this makes one very very suspicious.

scorpio
09-13-2009, 04:02 PM
Shanny wouldn't have been the first to cut Marshall that year.

http://imgur.com/RHpJI.gif

1998Eternal
09-13-2009, 04:06 PM
Obvously shanny is an excellent judge of character, and didnt want someone with lack of character representing Bronco's Football.

prunch
09-13-2009, 07:18 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4469786

Burger bill

UberBroncoMan
09-13-2009, 07:22 PM
This article is bull****. No person in their right mind would CUT a Pro Bowl player. If there is any merit to this it's that Shanahan was going to trade Marshall... probably for a defensive stud, ala Portis for Bailey.

Garcia Bronco
09-13-2009, 07:25 PM
I don't believe stories from people that won't say their name. Unamed source is another phrase for theword 'Lie'

bloodsunday
09-13-2009, 08:23 PM
I saw that and I'm a little unsure about it. Schefter still has good "sources" in Denver, so its tough to dispute on that basis. That said, why would he straight cut Marshall and not attempt to trade him? That seems a bit crazy to me. His value was still high at the end of last season.

There's a part of me that wonders if Denver didn't put this story out there to create some leverage in their battle with Marshall. Now that Shanahan and Cutler are gone -- and have no incentive to discuss the matter -- I doubt we'll ever really know.

bloodsunday
09-13-2009, 08:26 PM
I saw it on countdown straight from Schefter's mouth.

Yeah Schefter has his name on this as well.

BroncoLifer
09-13-2009, 08:50 PM
This article is bull****. No person in their right mind would CUT a Pro Bowl player. If there is any merit to this it's that Shanahan was going to trade Marshall... probably for a defensive stud, ala Portis for Bailey.

Exactly. Trade him - maybe. Straight out cut him - BS.

sisterhellfyre
09-14-2009, 10:22 AM
That said, why would he straight cut Marshall and not attempt to trade him? That seems a bit crazy to me. His value was still high at the end of last season.

Guys, the article said that Shanahan was willing to *consider* cutting Marshall outright if efforts to trade him failed. Not that cutting Marshall would have been his first choice.

Shanahan was not a great GM in his later years when it came to free agents and draft choices, but he was a master trader. Even with that reputation, I'm not sure he could have successfully traded Marshall for fair value, given all the problems hanging over Marshall's head at that time.

Popps
09-14-2009, 10:41 AM
Shanahan, a source said, felt Marshall had cost the Broncos more victories by his poor route running, dropped passes and his tepid run-blocking efforts. The coach also anticipated some contract problems, a source said.

Shanahan was reasonably certain Marshall would get him value on the trade market but if he had run into a dead end on a deal, sources said he would have considered cutting him outright,

Not a real big surprise. Look at what Marshall's doing. Purposely making himself a distraction, etc. The guy is just a gigantic head-case. No surprise Shanahan was weighing his options.

Wish he would have gotten us value for him while the opportunity existed.

No team is giving up anything for that POS, now.

Mediator12
09-14-2009, 11:05 AM
I told a few people about this last year in confidence. Now, Its out there. People here have NO IDEA of who Marshall is off the field and what he did before he was even drafted by DEN. This is not a fake story, it was being discussed internally and would have happened had there not been a regime change...

However, Cutler would still be here ;D There now all the idiots can have at it again....

Dr. Broncenstein
09-14-2009, 11:19 AM
I told a few people about this last year in confidence. Now, Its out there. People here have NO IDEA of who Marshall is off the field and what he did before he was even drafted by DEN. This is not a fake story, it was being discussed internally and would have happened had there not been a regime change...

However, Cutler would still be here ;D There now all the idiots can have at it again....

I had the pleasure of hanging out with a former broncos TE who's name rhymes with "shmeven alexstander" on the lake this year... he basically said as much. Apparently, for every thing that made the news there were ten things kept in house.

Smiling Assassin27
09-14-2009, 11:25 AM
I had the pleasure of hanging out with a former broncos TE who's name rhymes with "shmeven alexstander" on the lake this year... he basically said as much. Apparently, for every thing that made the news there were ten things kept in house.

Hey, how IS Duane Carswell these days? :wiggle:

TonyR
09-15-2009, 07:39 AM
Notion that Shanahan was going to cut Marshall makes no sense
Posted by Mike Florio on September 15, 2009 8:48 AM ET

The report from the weekend that caught our attention more than any other came from ESPN's Chris Mortensen, who while sitting next to Adam Schefter in their joint debut as on-air colleagues dropped a bombshell from the man whom many believe to be Schefter's No. 1 source.

Mort reported that former Broncos coach Mike Shanahan had planned to cut receiver Brandon Marshall after the Pro Bowl.

Not trade him. Cut him.

"It's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard," said one media source, who added a few expletives that we've deleted so as not to cause any tail feathers of the peacock to spontaneously fall out.

And indeed it is ridiculous.

Based on the report, Shanahan is basically saying that he would have allowed Marshall to walk away with no compensation, even though he surely could have gotten at least a second-round pick or more for Marshall.

So we don't buy it. Not for a second. And we think that Shanahan is merely trying to lay the foundation for the coming round of job interviews, during which he'll be competing against the likes of Mike Holmgren, Bill Cowher, possibly Jon Gruden, and a host of "hot" coordinators and position coaches who'd command a far lower annual salary than the guys with Super Bowl rings on their fingers.

But what's worse? Drafting a guy like Marshall in round four and giving him safe harbor as he became one of the most productive wideouts in the game, or suggesting that he would have cut one of the most productive wideouts in the game without getting even a seventh-round pick in return?

The guys who'll be playing for Shanahan in the future might take some solace in that possibility. The report implies that the best way to get out of a town in which Shanahan is the sheriff is to be enough of a pain in the butt.

Of course, it's a problem Shanahan would welcome, since it would mean he has successfully boxed out the others who will be looking for one of the head-coaching jobs that will become vacant in January or February of 2010.

But his job just got a little harder, because Shanahan will now have to persuade future employers that the notion he would have cut Brandon Marshall isn't evidence that Shanahan has lost his mind.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/09/15/notion-that-shanahan-was-going-to-cut-marshall-makes-no-sense/

CEH
09-15-2009, 07:51 AM
Whoever leaked this it's just great PR for the Broncos FO.

Maybe Bowlen himself leaked this.

Just more negative perceptions this time from a well respected coach not a first time HC/GM (not knocking Josh just saying it throws out more in the public in case the FO does go ahead and trade Brandon this year or next)

I'm wondering if Shanny did leak this, does it violate his contract about speaking negatively . The fact Mort broke this instead of Shefter also makes me think it may have come from Bowlen or Ellis

Who knows just trying to put some pieces together

barryr
09-15-2009, 08:11 AM
Whether true, who knows, but I can believe Shanahan would have looked to deal Marshall or cut him if didn't get a deal he liked. Players that were a distraction off the field tended to not have long careers with the Broncos, which I'm not criticizing by the way.

ScottXray
09-15-2009, 08:28 AM
This could have come from Shanahan...and if the story is true, he also told He Who Shall Not Be Named.

Who would be interviewed just before the season starts, about these things..?

A HOF coach that is currently out of work, or a "franchise" QB that is about to embark on a new season, in a new city, with a supposed lack of quality recievers to throw to?

Who would be more likely to throw it up there if asked about the WR mentioned, if he knew this?

A coach that had a reputation for being pretty close mouthed about players for his 14 years as a HC in Denver.....Or a QB that has a rep for running his mouth sometimes , when he should shut up.

I'm not saying.....