PDA

View Full Version : Floyd Little on Cover of MHSM

The Moops
09-12-2009, 10:34 AM
Even though the staff at Mile High Sports Magazine had decided on the cover weeks before the Hall of Fame Seniors Committee nominated Floyd Little, it fitting to see Floyd gracing the cover of this month's issue.

Cool pic, never seen it before. Can't tell if it's color or a black & white colorazied! Anyone??

The only disappointing part is the magazine had the gall to list him as the 6th all-time greatest Bronco.

Their top 10:
1. Elway
2. Rod Smith
3. Randy Gradishar
4. Terrell Davis
5. Shannon Sharpe
6. Floyd Little
7. Rich Jackson
8. Karl Mecklenburg
9. Gary Zimmerman
10. Simon Fletcher

I would have put the original "Franchise" first, since they are the Denver Broncos, not (thanks to Floyd) the Birmingham Broncos:
1. Floyd Little
2. Elway
3. Randy Gradishar
4. Rod Smith
5. Terrell Davis
6. Shannon Sharpe
7. Tom Jackson
8. Billy Thompson
9. Lionel Taylor
10. Rich Jackson

Harvitz81
09-12-2009, 10:54 AM
I really hope he makes it in, but I am definitely worried the nimwit voters will deny him once again. I only say this cause if you have read Peter King's articles after the nomination, King basically said that there is no way he would vote for him. King pisses me off most of the time on this stuff.

I think we need to organize mass emails to the voters listing why Floyd is eligible. Such as retired as the 7th leading rusher in the NFL: all 6 in front of him are in the hall. He had over 12,000 all purpose yards. And most importantly, we can stress that Little is the reason there is the Denver Broncos. If not for him there would be no Elway, no 6 SB appearances, no 2 SB wins. He is the most important Bronco of all time. If Ralph Wilson can get in for keeping the AFL in existence, then Little more than deserves to be in for keeping the Broncos in existence.

BroncoMan4ever
09-12-2009, 11:26 AM
Even though the staff at Mile High Sports Magazine had decided on the cover weeks before the Hall of Fame Seniors Committee nominated Floyd Little, it fitting to see Floyd gracing the cover of this month's issue.

Cool pic, never seen it before. Can't tell if it's color or a black & white colorazied! Anyone??

The only disappointing part is the magazine had the gall to list him as the 6th all-time greatest Bronco.

Their top 10:
1. Elway
2. Rod Smith
3. Randy Gradishar
4. Terrell Davis
5. Shannon Sharpe
6. Floyd Little
7. Rich Jackson
8. Karl Mecklenburg
9. Gary Zimmerman
10. Simon Fletcher

I would have put the original "Franchise" first, since they are the Denver Broncos, not (thanks to Floyd) the Birmingham Broncos:
1. Floyd Little
2. Elway
3. Randy Gradishar
4. Rod Smith
5. Terrell Davis
6. Shannon Sharpe
7. Tom Jackson
8. Billy Thompson
9. Lionel Taylor
10. Rich Jackson

original franchise or not, Elway is the Denver Broncos. in 50 years people in Denver will still talk about the greatest QB ever

TD was the most instrumental player in us going to and winning back to back super bowls

Rod Smith was the best team player the franchise has ever had and carried the WR unit for several seasons on his own, and even retired is still an important figure in the developnment of young guys on the team

i'd name Little 4th behind Elway, TD and Rod.

The Moops
09-12-2009, 11:26 AM
Peter King was hit with a boatload of emails regarding his stance on Floyd. You're right, there are blind media people who will take King at his word. The good news is one of his best friends is Paul Zimmerman who, even with his strokes, can still communicate and I'm sure will get the message to King that Little is deserving. Zimmerman is a big supporter of Floyd's candidacy.

King knows all about the 7th all-time rushing, 12,000 yards, etc. He just didn't choose to discuss it, noting only his one 1,000-yard season, 3.9 average and 54 yards rushing average per game. All of those will be addressed long before the voting, I assure you. There are pleny of Hall of Famers who don't measure up to Floyd's accomplishments.

If people want to email King and other writers, I would touch on the 7th all-time (the six ahead are in), the 5 Pro Bowls, 1 All Pro recognition, 2 AFC rushing titles, 1 NFL rushing title, most yards rushing and yards from scrimmage from 1968-73. BUT, most importantly, if you're going to write talk about Floyd's impact (like Wilson) saving the Broncos from relocation. His saving the franchise. He being the most important Bronco, etc. His signing and superstar play that helped expand Mile High Stadium and started a string of 40 soldout seasons that continue today.

I think those sentiments will put him over the edge. Just like with LeBeau. If you compare his Pro Bowls (3), his All-Pros (0), they fall SO FAR BELOW the 20 other DBs in the Hall of Fame it's not funny. The other HOF DBs have a minimum of 5 Pro Bowls (most have 8, 9, 10!) and at least 1 All-Pro designation (some have 6). Even though he's supposed to be judged just for his play, LeBeau will get in because of his 50 years in the NFL and his prowess as a coach.

Hogan11
09-12-2009, 01:35 PM
I'd put Floyd first....if nothing else, just because he's my all time fave player.

I can't believe I may actually have to make plans to go to Canton afterall.....

The Moops
09-13-2009, 09:36 AM
I think if Legwold does an excellent follow-up presentation along with the yet unnamed seniors committee member, the dream will be realized.

This will open the door to getting Gradishar, Tombstone, Tommy Jackson and other older Broncos in.

I think Sharpe gets in this year as a modern candidate, and Terrell Davis a year or two down the road.

Rock Chalk
09-13-2009, 09:41 AM
Moops, Floyd was instrumental in keeping the Broncos here.

But all-time greatest Broncos should be based on their performance on the field. Little's was certainly great, but it does not measure up to Elway, Smith, Gradishar, Sharpe and possibly even TD. Him being 6th is no slight against Floyd, it just means that there were some other GREAT players in Denver history. The fact that he is 6th on that list says volumes about the players ahead of him because he was indeed one of the great ones in Denver history.

lex
09-13-2009, 09:41 AM
Peter King was hit with a boatload of emails regarding his stance on Floyd. You're right, there are blind media people who will take King at his word. The good news is one of his best friends is Paul Zimmerman who, even with his strokes, can still communicate and I'm sure will get the message to King that Little is deserving. Zimmerman is a big supporter of Floyd's candidacy.

King knows all about the 7th all-time rushing, 12,000 yards, etc. He just didn't choose to discuss it, noting only his one 1,000-yard season, 3.9 average and 54 yards rushing average per game. All of those will be addressed long before the voting, I assure you. There are pleny of Hall of Famers who don't measure up to Floyd's accomplishments.

If people want to email King and other writers, I would touch on the 7th all-time (the six ahead are in), the 5 Pro Bowls, 1 All Pro recognition, 2 AFC rushing titles, 1 NFL rushing title, most yards rushing and yards from scrimmage from 1968-73. BUT, most importantly, if you're going to write talk about Floyd's impact (like Wilson) saving the Broncos from relocation. His saving the franchise. He being the most important Bronco, etc. His signing and superstar play that helped expand Mile High Stadium and started a string of 40 soldout seasons that continue today.

I think those sentiments will put him over the edge. Just like with LeBeau. If you compare his Pro Bowls (3), his All-Pros (0), they fall SO FAR BELOW the 20 other DBs in the Hall of Fame it's not funny. The other HOF DBs have a minimum of 5 Pro Bowls (most have 8, 9, 10!) and at least 1 All-Pro designation (some have 6). Even though he's supposed to be judged just for his play, LeBeau will get in because of his 50 years in the NFL and his prowess as a coach.

Why would Peter King care if the Broncos left Denver?

McDman
09-13-2009, 09:57 AM
I guess I missed the story, why was Little important in keeping the Broncos in Denver?

The Moops
09-13-2009, 06:48 PM
Before 1967 the Broncos were unable to sell out games. The owners were threatening to relocate the team to Birmingham or Chicago. On top of that, the AFL/NFL merger had been announced and one of the terms of the merger required all stadiums to be expanded to seat 50,000 by 1970.

The Broncos had never signed their #1 pick. Not Merlin Olsen, not Bob Brown, not Dick Butkus. All became Hall of Famers. In 1967 the Broncos were intent on drafting Gene Upshaw. But at the last minute Lou Saban, realizing that a guard would not create fan interest and sell out games, changed his mind and drafted Floyd Little, a 3-time All-America halfback, from Syracuse.

At the time Jets coach Weeb Ewbank called Litle "the most exciting player in college." Saban knew a player of Little's caliber would stir excitement and give the city of Denver hope.

He was right. Floyd became the first #1 to sign and he immersed himself into the Denver community. Going door to door with teammates to meet fans, riding on top of cars down the city streets. Hopping buses and trekking threw Colorado, Wyoming, Nebraska and beyond. He was named captain his rookie year, and every season therafter.

Floyd helped generate ticket sales and was instrumental in the successful expansion of Mile High Stadium, which started a string of 40 consecutive sold out seasons that lasts today.

Floyd delivered on the field too. He led the league in punt returns and combined yards his rookie year.

His second year he once again led the league in combined yards, becoming the only player in either league to return punts for TDs in 1967 & 68.
He was named to the AFL all-star team

In 1969, he was named 1st team All-AFL and was well on his way to a 1,200 yard plus rushing season before missing 6 games with shoulder and knee injuries. He was more than 300 yards ahead of RBs in both leagues before he was sidelined for most of the season. That year, Gale Sayers was the only RB to gain 1,000 yards (1,032). Floyd had the highest single game rushing performance (166), highest average per carry (5.0) and yards per game (81).

In 1970, the first year of the merger, Floyd led the AFC in rushing despite playing the season with broken bones in his back.
Named to the Pro Bowl.

In 1971, he led the entire NFL in rushing and yards from scrimmage.
Named to the Pro Bowl.

In 1972, despite playing the entire season on a bum knee he rushed for 859 yards, plus another 367 yards in receptions and scored 13 TDs.

In 1973, at age 31, he came back from major knee surgery to rush for 979 yards (missing 1,000 by 21 yards), added another 423 yards receiving and scored another 13 TDs.
Named to his 5th Pro Bowl.

Floyd retired as the 7th leading rusher in NFL history. I love Rod Smith, but he did not retire 7th like Floyd in receiving yards or catches and he played in just 3 Pro Bowls.

It's really a matter of opinion the order of the top 10 Broncos. John Elway called Floyd "the greatest Bronco of us all." I defer to him.

Also, Elway, Sharpe, Rod Smith, TD -- all had the benefit of playing with one another and guys like Tom Nalen, Ed Mac, Mark Schlereth, Zimmerman, Atwater, Trevor Pryce, et al. Gradishar played with some tremendous defensive stars.

For most of his career, Floyd was the teams lone offensive weapon.

I would still put him in the top 1 or 2 greatest Broncos . . .

The Moops
09-14-2009, 04:24 AM
Yesterday's game was awesome. Hope everyone in Colorado enjoyed it.

Remember, if it wasn't for Floyd, all of Alabama would have been blogging all night about Stokely's miracle TD for the Birmingham Broncos!