PDA

View Full Version : Mike Rice - Broncos entering Unknown

Irish Stout
09-12-2009, 11:22 AM
A little piece of level headed puffery that got me excited:

http://blog.denverbroncos.com/mrice/into-the-great-unknown/#comment-63329

Into The Great Unknown
September 12th, 2009 - 10:29am by mike_rice

It is time to stop talking and start playing. Thank goodness.

The Broncos open the 2009 regular season Sunday in Cincinnati. We will get an idea of where the Broncos stand after an off-season of change.

Deep down, I believe the Broncos will be better than many people, especially national ďexperts,Ē think they will. I know I hope they will be but ultimately, I donít know.

ďI think we have a better idea than most people outside of this building of what we think weíre going to put out there,Ē Head Coach Josh McDaniels said on Friday. ďBut thereís always a little but of uncertainty before opening day. You want to get out there, get the butterflies out of the way and start playing football and start trying to execute the way you need to.Ē

At this point, I simply cannot buy into the notion that the Broncos will only win four or five games. Iíve spoken with some people who find those numbers to be high. Please. Come let us reason together. Is it possible the Broncos could struggle that much? Of course itís possible. Barring a rash of injuries, it is highly unlikely, in my opinion, given the talent on this team.

Disagree? Letís take a look at some of the evidence, first on offense.

Kyle Orton has been a reliable, if not spectacular, starting quarterback in a conservative offensive system in Chicago. At Purdue, he showed he could be the trigger man for a high-powered offense. Granted, itís not completely an apples-to-apples comparison but it does show that he has been able to throw the ball effectively in the past.

Orton will be operating behind an offensive line that has already shown itself to be really, really good. Ryan Clady and Ryan Harris are terrific young tackles who should only get better. Chris Kuper and Ben Hamilton are really good guards. And center Casey Wiegmann is the iron man in the middle who seemingly gets better with age.

Tight end? Daniel Graham is another o-lineman in the run game and has much more to give as a receiver. Tony Scheffler is a big-time target and the Broncos are well aware of his ability.

At running back, there is a great mix of proven veterans and young talent with guys like Correll Buckhalter and Lamont Jordan, Peyton Hillis and Knowshon Moreno. While the backs are different from past years, the line is back. I have no doubt the Broncos will be able to run the ball well.

On defense, there are questions to be sure. But the overriding question I keep asking myself is, ďCan the Broncos defense struggle any more than it has the past few years?Ē This is a unit that has surrendered over 400 points in each of the last two seasons.

With all of the changes, including a new defensive coordinator with a new scheme, I find it impossible to believe the Broncos wonít at least be just a little better on defense. The have upgraded their talent, they seem to be committed to a more attacking style and they seem to be adapting to the 3-4.

In his 11 years as an NFL defensive coordinator, Mike Nolanís units have forced an average of 32 turnovers per season. That tells me he has a philosophy and a system that has, more often that not, produced results on the field.

While Iím on the topic of the coaching staff, let me add that there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that Josh McDaniels will be a great NFL head coach. There are times in all of our lives when we get the opportunity to do something at a higher level for the first time. He is ready for this and he will be successful.

I know on the verge of the first game, the schedule looks tough. Heck, I think the opener in Cincinnati is hardly a gimme win. But letís not forget that the Arizona Cardinals went to the Super Bowl last year. All Iím saying is that one never knows what will happen during the course of a season.

On the other end of the spectrum, I canít sit here in mid-September and honestly say I believe the Broncos will win 11 or 12 games. I definitely think it is possible. But there are too many unanswered questions right now and there have simply been more changes than there have been opportunities for this team to how good it can be.

So what do I expect out of the Broncosí 2009 season?

1 Ė I expect the Broncos will continue to improve throughout the season. I believe, again barring key injuries, the Broncos will be better at the end of the season than they are at the beginning. Everything is new right now. As these players get used to the new systems at regular season game speed, I think theyíll show steady improvement.

2 Ė I expect to have fun following them. I donít mind it at all when uncertainty is the primary feeling I have about a team. I donít mind not having any kind of true feel for what I think will happen Sunday against the Bengals. Iím embracing the unknown.

3 Ė I expect it to be an interesting season. I canít see this team having a miserable year. And Iím not at all ruling out the possibility of a great year. Iím sure it will be an interesting year as this team establishes an identity and goes out each week to try to win a game.

ďI think our entire team, all our staff, is excited for Sunday,Ē McDaniels said on Friday.

So am I. Let the games begin.

What are your expectations for the season? Iíd love to get your thoughts.

Thanks for reading,
Mike

Vegas_Bronco
09-12-2009, 11:41 AM
Great write up! Enjoyable read for sure!

While I don't see a McDaniels coached team getting worse throughout the season, the one thing that I do see is a brutal schedule that really is going to stymie a lot of the signs that the team is really improving throughout the season. I do believe the pride of this team will be our defense which should have an amazing season...I'm really excited for a lot of these guys to have break out seasons now that they appear to be in a system where they can 1) trust one another and in the system; 2) have some of the best veteran leadership in the game in Dawkins, Bailey, Haggan, and Doom; 3) understand that their coach is offensively minded so eventual good things will happen with that side of the ball.

Harvitz81
09-12-2009, 11:47 AM
I agree with him completely. We have 9 returning starters on offense where the O-line should be that much better from having a year together under their belts. We upgraded at RB across the board with Hillis returning, Buckhalter added (who has been far more successful in this league than the likes of Selvin Young and Andre Hall), and added the consensus top RB in the draft. Yes, we downgraded at QB, but at least Orton has shown that he can win in this league.

And let's be honest, after the Broncos first three games last year, we averaged LESS than 20 points a game for the remainder of the year. That tells me right now that last years offense was really less than average. McDaniels has shown that he can run a good offense and we have weapons in Marshall, Royal, Gaffney, Scheffler and Moreno that seem well suited to his offense.

On defense, I would argue that we were the worst defense in the NFL last year. We could get worse, but I honestly don't see that happening. I bet we end up in the middle of the pack (15th - 20th), which is a huge improvement over last year. Nolan has shown that he is a good defensive coordinator. And honestly, how can we not get more turnovers than last year where we had like what, 10??

So all in all, our offense I think should not have any fallback and I honestly think we will average more points per game this year. Our defense should in all likely hood be better and force more turnovers. Given the difficultly of the schedule, I would say that we are headed for a 7 - 9 win season, which for all the turnover would be a really good start for McD. Next year we are definitely in the playoffs. Bank it!!

KS Bronco
09-12-2009, 12:21 PM
i still dont get the 'downgrade' at qb. orton has a winning percentage FAR superior to cutler. cutler hasnt done anything except put up decent numbers in 3 games last year with several current and future pro bowlers around him on an offense whose first three options were pass, pass, pass

Chris
09-12-2009, 12:21 PM
Watching the Steelers Titans game on Thursday showed me how far the team has to go to be elite. Having said that, I'm very optimistic for the year and excited to see what we put on the field.

DarkHorse30
09-12-2009, 03:46 PM
Watching the Steelers Titans game on Thursday showed me how far the team has to go to be elite. Having said that, I'm very optimistic for the year and excited to see what we put on the field.

It also showed how much an all-pro safety can help a team. I'm curious to see how NE does without Harrison....I'm guessing that NE is not as good as they think, because Rodney was the glue that held that defense together.

BroncoBuff
09-12-2009, 03:59 PM
I believe, again barring key injuries, the Broncos will be better at the end of the season than they are at the beginning.
Improve as the season goes by?

What a concept!

BroncoBuff
09-12-2009, 04:00 PM
i still dont get the 'downgrade' at qb. orton has a winning percentage FAR superior to cutler. cutler hasnt done anything except put up decent numbers in 3 games last year with several current and future pro bowlers around him on an offense whose first three options were pass, pass, pass

What color is the sky in your world?

lex
09-12-2009, 04:01 PM

This line of thought has been debunked numerous times.

lex
09-12-2009, 04:04 PM
I agree with him completely. We have 9 returning starters on offense where the O-line should be that much better from having a year together under their belts. We upgraded at RB across the board with Hillis returning, Buckhalter added (who has been far more successful in this league than the likes of Selvin Young and Andre Hall), and added the consensus top RB in the draft. Yes, we downgraded at QB, but at least Orton has shown that he can win in this league.

And let's be honest, after the Broncos first three games last year, we averaged LESS than 20 points a game for the remainder of the year. That tells me right now that last years offense was really less than average. McDaniels has shown that he can run a good offense and we have weapons in Marshall, Royal, Gaffney, Scheffler and Moreno that seem well suited to his offense.

On defense, I would argue that we were the worst defense in the NFL last year. We could get worse, but I honestly don't see that happening. I bet we end up in the middle of the pack (15th - 20th), which is a huge improvement over last year. Nolan has shown that he is a good defensive coordinator. And honestly, how can we not get more turnovers than last year where we had like what, 10??

So all in all, our offense I think should not have any fallback and I honestly think we will average more points per game this year. Our defense should in all likely hood be better and force more turnovers. Given the difficultly of the schedule, I would say that we are headed for a 7 - 9 win season, which for all the turnover would be a really good start for McD. Next year we are definitely in the playoffs. Bank it!!

Denver averaged 25 pts a game when Hillis saw time at RB. Also, to go along with that, the defense gave up around 23 points a game.

DBroncos4life
09-12-2009, 04:06 PM

pinning W/L on a QB is retarded. A QB can go out and throw for 500 yards 6 TDs with zero picks and still lose the game, while another QB can throw for 120 yards 1 TD and 3 picks and get the win. Offense, defense, and special teams. There are what 52 plus guys on a football team and ONE player gets the W or L. Keep on believing that bull**** if you want. :thumbsup:

CEH
09-12-2009, 04:12 PM

11 of his 21 wins came from 2006 where his offense avg 16.2 ppg
Det went 0-16 last year and averaged more than Chi did in '06
I think Tom B can start and avg 16.2 ppg

Harvitz81
09-12-2009, 04:22 PM
Denver averaged 25 pts a game when Hillis saw time at RB. Also, to go along with that, the defense gave up around 23 points a game.

So your saying that getting rid of Cutler and keeping Hillis was a good move. Wow, you finally agree with McD. Way to finally see the light Lex....

lex
09-12-2009, 04:24 PM
So your saying that getting rid of Cutler and keeping Hillis was a good move. Wow, you finally agree with McD. Way to finally see the light Lex....

Are you actually asking a question? Because it kind of seem like you were really having a conversation with yourself.

Irish Stout
09-12-2009, 04:25 PM

What a concept!

What happened to you? Seriously. You used to be upbeat, maybe not positive about the way the team was going, but at least pleasant about things. You seem to becoming more and more cynical and spiteful by the post.

Atwater His Ass
09-12-2009, 05:07 PM

lol

baja
09-12-2009, 07:29 PM
What happened to you? Seriously. You used to be upbeat, maybe not positive about the way the team was going, but at least pleasant about things. You seem to becoming more and more cynical and spiteful by the post.

he took a swig of So Cal's beer at training camp and contracted his case of negativeitis. ;D

Popcorn Sutton
09-12-2009, 07:36 PM

http://i323.photobucket.com/albums/nn472/rgault00/205753_vpfunny.gif

KS Bronco
09-12-2009, 07:54 PM
pinning W/L on a QB is retarded. A QB can go out and throw for 500 yards 6 TDs with zero picks and still lose the game, while another QB can throw for 120 yards 1 TD and 3 picks and get the win. Offense, defense, and special teams. There are what 52 plus guys on a football team and ONE player gets the W or L. Keep on believing that bull**** if you want. :thumbsup:
so why dont we trade him to try to improve those 52 other players. oh wair, thats what we f'ing did

DBroncos4life
09-12-2009, 07:58 PM
so why dont we trade him to try to improve those 52 other players. oh wair, thats what we f'ing did

As of right now only Orton and Cutler are starting out of that trade. Man we really rapped their ass on that ****ing deal.

KS Bronco
09-12-2009, 08:08 PM
As of right now only Orton and Cutler are starting out of that trade. Man we really rapped their ass on that ****ing deal.

so u dont believe in player development. i see u hold the shanahan philosophy of a quick fix, ie dre bly, dale carter, gardner, marquand manuel, nikokikovikusususus... should i keep going? yes, i do have faith in the 'patriot' way' seemed to work for them, u disagree?

baja
09-12-2009, 08:09 PM

May have! Thing is we don't know yet.

DBroncos4life
09-12-2009, 08:27 PM
May have! Thing is we don't know yet.

That is why I said as of now. Things can play out in our favor in the end but in week one the Bears gained Culter at the price of Orton. Not a bad trade for them.

baja
09-12-2009, 08:38 PM
That is why I said as of now. Things can play out in our favor in the end but in week one the Bears gained Culter at the price of Orton. Not a bad trade for them.

I don't follow your logic what about the two 1sts and the third, don;t they count yet.

Atwater His Ass
09-12-2009, 08:44 PM
I don't follow your logic what about the two 1sts and the third, don;t they count yet.

except draft picks are so over-rated it's ridiculous. chicago got a franchise QB, the absolute hardest position to ever fill in the history of the NFL for some measouly overpriced draft picks and a journeymen Qb.

DBroncos4life
09-12-2009, 08:45 PM

The player that we got with the Bears first round pick isn't starting. The third round pick became Quinn, (not a good pick) and we haven't used the other pick yet. So we down graded at QB and got LB depth, they got a much better starting QB.

Atwater His Ass
09-12-2009, 08:48 PM
The player that we got with the Bears first round pick isn't starting. The third round pick became Quinn, (not a good pick) and we haven't used the other pick yet. So we down graded at QB and got LB depth, they got a much better starting QB.

ssshhhhh, logic and facts don't sit well with the :homer:

orton's a system QB that's all we need!!!!1!

baja
09-12-2009, 09:19 PM

Damn we got screwed ;D

KS Bronco
09-12-2009, 09:25 PM
still dont see the logic in calling cutler a 'franchise' qb. he's a cry baby with an overconfident (strong) arm who hasnt won anything since high school

Atwater His Ass
09-12-2009, 09:29 PM
still dont see the logic in calling cutler a 'franchise' qb. he's a cry baby with an overconfident (strong) arm who hasnt won anything since high school

ok bro.

i mean wtf did a loser like Elway win in college and by his 3rd year in the NFL? Man, why didn't trade that dead weight?

DBroncos4life
09-12-2009, 09:37 PM
Damn we got screwed ;D

I think Robert Ayers will be good, and I doubt we mess up on next years first rounder either. If we miss on both though its a horrible trade but if we hit on both then its just like Portis for Bailey. Both teams getting what they need in a trade. Simple as that.

2KBack
09-12-2009, 09:47 PM
ok bro.

i mean wtf did a loser like Elway win in college and by his 3rd year in the NFL? Man, why didn't trade that dead weight?

Elway was 28-14 his first 3 years in the league. Mostly attributed to a good defense...Hey, kinda like Orton.

Atwater His Ass
09-12-2009, 09:49 PM
Elway was 28-14 his first 3 years in the league. Mostly attributed to a good defense...Hey, kinda like Orton.

did you just...??? nah, you couldn't have...

2KBack
09-12-2009, 09:55 PM
did you just...??? nah, you couldn't have...

I sure did. Are we gonna fight about it now? Because to be honest I'm not really into these arguments. I just discovered one more way to stir the pot with the Cutlerites and wanted to share.

Atwater His Ass
09-12-2009, 09:57 PM
I sure did. Are we gonna fight about it now? Because to be honest I'm not really into these arguments. I just discovered one more way to stir the pot with the Cutlerites and wanted to share.

ya, when i think of orton, elway just immediately comes to mind. thanks for showing me the light ****tard.

2KBack
09-12-2009, 09:59 PM
ya, when i think of orton, elway just immediately comes to mind. thanks for showing me the light ****tard.

Thought I'd bring a little sunshine to your gloomy day, no need to thank me.

footstepsfrom#27
09-12-2009, 10:04 PM
i still dont get the 'downgrade' at qb.
http://rlv.zcache.com/they_say_i_should_stop_using_drugs_but_mama_did_ts hirt-p235402775647852362qw9y_400.jpg

Atwater His Ass
09-12-2009, 10:07 PM
Thought I'd bring a little sunshine to your gloomy day, no need to thank me.

no please, continue to elaborate with your comparisions of how orton is elway reincarnate. please. i haven't seen enough lulz for the day yet.

2KBack
09-12-2009, 10:12 PM
no please, continue to elaborate with your comparisions of how orton is elway reincarnate. please. i haven't seen enough lulz for the day yet.

It's all I have. Pretty good I think though. If Orton continues to win I'll look like a genius, if not, I doubt anyone will remember.

Except maybe you, you can throw it in my face as you celebrate your being right about Denver's dismal season.

Atwater His Ass
09-12-2009, 10:13 PM
c'mon that's it? really?

you dissapoint.

2KBack
09-12-2009, 10:37 PM
c'mon that's it? really?

you dissapoint.

A statistical comparison could be done, but I'm not into it personally. I'm more interested in how Orton is going to do in the near future than how he has done compared to QB's long gone.

Atwater His Ass
09-12-2009, 10:47 PM
A statistical comparison could be done, but I'm not into it personally. I'm more interested in how Orton is going to do in the near future than how he has done compared to QB's long gone.

c'mon, don't puss out now. do the analysis. tell us all about the projections on how orton will equal elway's career.

i mean, i can't be only one interested in repeating elway's accomplishments of winning back to back super bowls.

2KBack
09-12-2009, 10:53 PM
i mean, i can't be only one interested in repeating elway's accomplishments of winning back to back super bowls.

It would be cool. I hope it happens...how about you?

Atwater His Ass
09-12-2009, 10:54 PM
show us the analysis you promised.

stop trying to turn the subject.

show us statiscally how orton > cutler > elway and will lead this team to glory.

stop back tracking.

ScottXray
09-12-2009, 10:57 PM
Christ , this shyt is like trying to figure out who the Winner of a Nuclear war would be...

" Well, WE won because we still have 15 million people left out of 300 and they are down to 10 out of 250. Neither one of us can even feed what 's left...but were definitely the winner."

No one knows who the Winner in this scenario is. But the continued Battling is going to have one effect and one only.

I just wish this crap could be tabled for now, but neither side is going to give it a rest and just try to enjoy the season, and see what happens.

I guess that's what being a fan is about...

but sometimes it sucks!

2KBack
09-12-2009, 11:05 PM
show us the analysis you promised.

stop trying to turn the subject.

show us statiscally how orton > cutler > elway and will lead this team to glory.

stop back tracking.

What am I backtracking from exactly? If we look at the thread, someone mention Cutler's losing ways. In which you responded in that charming manner just your own that Elway must be a loser as well due to his record in college and his first 3 years. I took the time to point out that Elways record in his first 3 years is quite good, but I know that the immediate resonse to that is that Elway benefitted from having a good defense, which Cutler lacked. It was at that point that I realized that is also the excuse given when Orton is credited for his winning record. Orton also shares similar and sometimes superior numbers in certain passing categories like completion percentage, interception percentage, and QB rating. All of this is 100 percent fact, but still is no indicator as to the type of career Orton will have. It does however make one think that maybe players should get a chance to play and develop before being so terribly judged.

Of course I expect you to probably respond with an insult.

Atwater His Ass
09-12-2009, 11:06 PM
What am I backtracking from exactly? If we look at the thread, someone mention Cutler's losing ways. In which you responded in that charming manner just your own that Elway must be a loser as well due to his record in college and his first 3 years. I took the time to point out that Elways record in his first 3 years is quite good, but I know that the immediate resonse to that is that Elway benefitted from having a good defense, which Cutler lacked. It was at that point that I realized that is also the excuse given when Orton is credited for his winning record. Orton also shares similar and sometimes superior numbers in certain passing categories like completion percentage, interception percentage, and QB rating. All of this is 100 percent fact, but still is no indicator as to the type of career Orton will have. It does however make one think that maybe players should get a chance to play and develop before being so terribly judged.

Of course I expect you to probably respond with an insult.

A statistical comparison could be done

let's see it.

you are the one that compared orton to elway, not me.

im waiting.

2KBack
09-12-2009, 11:20 PM
let's see it.

you are the one that compared orton to elway, not me.

im waiting.

you must not have read my post. I'm finished with this nonsense. If you want to compare the stats that bad, I gave you the ones to look at.

Atwater His Ass
09-12-2009, 11:37 PM
you must not have read my post. I'm finished with this nonsense. If you want to compare the stats that bad, I gave you the ones to look at.

you said you could do it.

let's see it.

c'mon. orton's just as good as elway at this point in his career right?

i mean, you said A STASTICAL ANALYSIS COULD BE DONE. well then. let's see it.

i want to see your projections based on that awesome analysis how many championships orton will bring us.

McDman
09-13-2009, 12:11 AM

let's see it.

i want to see your projections based on that awesome analysis how many championships orton will bring us.

Dude, get over it, good Lord.

He never said Orton was better, he said in some areas he had better stats.

BroncoBuff
09-13-2009, 12:14 AM

What a concept!What happened to you? Seriously. You used to be upbeat, maybe not positive about the way the team was going, but at least pleasant about things. You seem to becoming more and more cynical and spiteful by the post.

No, that was a dig at Shanahan ... his teams always started strong and faded as the season progressed.

Atwater His Ass
09-13-2009, 12:20 AM
Dude, get over it, good Lord.

He never said Orton was better, he said in some areas he had better stats.

so what the **** does that even mean?

ffs, you guys act like a bunch of morons, throwing **** on the wall and seeing what sticks, then running away like a little girl if anyone calls you on it.

baja
09-13-2009, 12:26 AM
I think Robert Ayers will be good, and I doubt we mess up on next years first rounder either. If we miss on both though its a horrible trade but if we hit on both then its just like Portis for Bailey. Both teams getting what they need in a trade. Simple as that.

Hey you're only 45 posts away from the significant 15,000!!!

baja
09-13-2009, 12:32 AM

let's see it.

If Orton had not dislocated his finger on his throwing hand he would have had a better career than Elway, but alas we will now never know.

baja
09-13-2009, 12:34 AM
so what the **** does that even mean?

ffs, you guys act like a bunch of morons, throwing **** on the wall and seeing what sticks, then running away like a little girl if anyone calls you on it.

What you got against little girls anyway, are you a racist?

DBroncos4life
09-13-2009, 12:40 AM
What you got against little girls anyway, are you a racist?

It could be the booze but I'm not following that very well LOL

watermock
09-13-2009, 01:10 AM
Orton also shares similar and sometimes superior numbers in certain passing categories liCareer Stats more
Season Team Passing Rushing Fumbles
G GS Comp Att Pct Yds Avg TD Int Sck SckY Rate Att Yds Avg TD FUM Lost
2008 Chicago Bears 15 15 272 465 58.5 2,972 6.4 18 12 27 160 79.6 24 49 2.0 3 6 5
2007 Chicago Bears 3 3 43 80 53.8 478 6.0 3 2 2 12 73.9 5 -1 -0.2 0 2 0
2006 Chicago Bears 0 0 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 0.0 -- -- -- -- -- --
2005 Chicago Bears 15 15 190 368 51.6 1,869 5.1 9 13 30 190 59.7 24 44 1.8 0 12 5
TOTAL 505 913 55.3 5,319 5.8 30 27 59 362 71.1 53 92 1.7 3 20 10

ke completion percentage, interception percentage, and QB rating.

Career Stats more
Season Team Passing Rushing Fumbles
G GS Comp Att Pct Yds Avg TD Int Sck SckY Rate Att Yds Avg TD FUM Lost
2008 Denver Broncos 16 16 384 616 62.3 4,526 7.3 25 18 11 69 86.0 57 200 3.5 2 5 2
2007 Denver Broncos 16 16 297 467 63.6 3,497 7.5 20 14 27 153 88.1 44 205 4.7 1 11 4
2006 Denver Broncos 5 5 81 137 59.1 1,001 7.3 9 5 13 85 88.5 12 18 1.5 0 8 2
TOTAL 762 1,220 62.5 9,024 7.4 54 37 51 307 87.1 113 423 3.7 3 24 8

Cito Pelon
09-13-2009, 02:14 AM
I think the bottom line to this off-season is some people deal with adversity with a positive mentality, others deal with it with a negative mentality. That's just how it is.

TomServo
09-13-2009, 02:30 AM
i still dont get the 'downgrade' at qb. orton has a winning percentage FAR superior to cutler.

yah, we shoulda let that loser elway sign with baltimore after his crappy record at stanford. or better yet, cut him loose since he never actually won a SB before 1998