PDA

View Full Version : Sharpe reaches out to Marshall...

Popps
09-12-2009, 11:00 AM
This may be a "we landed on the moon" thread. I knew Rod Smith had extended advice to Marshall. But, I didn't know Sharpe was involved... and they did it all via conference call. Pretty interesting article.

Also includes a Broncos/Bungholes preview...

The absence of drama to date in Marshall's return is being viewed as a positive sign by Shannon Sharpe, formerly a star tight end for the Broncos and a member of consecutive Super Bowl-winning teams in the late 1990s.

Sharpe said he reached out to Marshall by phone...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/12191595

Rohirrim
09-12-2009, 11:08 AM
During a three-way call that also included former Broncos receiver Rod Smith, Sharpe said he told Marshall flat out that he was wrong and urged him to start "acting like a grown man, a professional football player and conduct himself accordingly."

"You just can't condone behavior like that. Even if he was my brother, I'd still tell him he was wrong," Sharpe said

Got to love Shannon. ;D

Mr. Elway
09-12-2009, 11:29 AM
Glad Sharpe is trying help out. Hopefully Marshall takes it to heart a little. He can still be an amazing Bronco and regain the respect and love of the fans if he puts his head down and helps us win.

OBF1
09-12-2009, 11:30 AM
Lets hope it is the start of a new chapter in Marshall's life.

BroncoMan4ever
09-12-2009, 11:41 AM
During a three-way call that also included former Broncos receiver Rod Smith, Sharpe said he told Marshall flat out that he was wrong and urged him to start "acting like a grown man, a professional football player and conduct himself accordingly."

"You just can't condone behavior like that. Even if he was my brother, I'd still tell him he was wrong," Sharpe said

Got to love Shannon. ;D

as much as i love Rod, Sharpe may be the better mentor to a guy like Marshall, while Rod is better for Eddie.

you got to love how Sharpe just puts it out there and tells it like it is instead of sugar coating things.

cutthemdown
09-12-2009, 11:45 AM
Here's the real question. Could Marshall understand Shannon!!!!! The dude talks like his whole mouth shot full of anthesetic.

Vegas_Bronco
09-12-2009, 11:45 AM
as much as i love Rod, Sharpe may be the better mentor to a guy like Marshall, while Rod is better for Eddie.

you got to love how Sharpe just puts it out there and tells it like it is instead of sugar coating things.

Rod made Marshall who he is today - he taught him how to get open and the rest is Marshall's God given talent. If you watch Marshall, he runs the crossing route or slant a lot like Rod did...cheats to the inside a little more and always has his hands up ready for the ball to signal the QB that he's open. I have noticed this especially in the short game.

Odysseus
09-12-2009, 11:46 AM
My hope is that Sharpe put an elbow in his face and let it slide down into his ribs just to see if he could get his attention.

Marshall has been ground zero for a lot of Broncos controversy going back to Darrent Williams. I personally don't care for this player. He has the talent to be Godzilla but he has the brain of a five year old child.

If he becomes successful in the Orange and Blue that will mean nothing to me because he is a failure as a person.

Sharpe and Rod Smith are relics. They don't make players like that anymore. Brandon Marshall is what the NFL is about now and he isn't listening.

Odysseus
09-12-2009, 11:47 AM
My hope is that Sharpe put an elbow in his face and let it slide down into his ribs just to see if he could get his attention.

Marshall has been ground zero for a lot of Broncos controversy going back to Darrent Williams. I personally don't care for this player. He has the talent to be Godzilla but he has the brain of a five year old child.

If he becomes successful in the Orange and Blue that will mean nothing to me because he is a failure as a person.

Sharpe and Rod Smith are relics. They don't make players like that anymore. Brandon Marshall is what the NFL is about now and he isn't listening.

steeledude
09-12-2009, 11:53 AM

I am so glad most people don't have such a ridiculous thought pattern as you. Man the world would be an annoying place.

As for Marshall--most fans do love him. They'll love him more when he comes out and does this year what he has done the last two years. And he'll keep giving to the Denver community, and doing the right thing. He's also a young man, made some bad choices, but is on the right track.

I think Sharpe is a much better person to reach out to Marshall than Rod. Sharpe and Marshall are very similar in attitude. Rod is a humble "all for the team" guy, which is wonderful, that's the ideal player, but a guy like that isn't going to relate to Marshall. A guy like Sharpe, who is a big showman and trash talker is going to appeal to Marshall on a much deeper level.

Bronx33
09-12-2009, 12:00 PM
Here's the real question. Could Marshall understand Shannon!!!!! The dude talks like his whole mouth shot full of anthesetic.

lol!

Odysseus
09-12-2009, 12:00 PM
I am so glad most people don't have such a ridiculous thought pattern as you. Man the world would be an annoying place.

As for Marshall--most fans do love him. They'll love him more when he comes out and does this year what he has done the last two years. And he'll keep giving to the Denver community, and doing the right thing. He's also a young man, made some bad choices, but is on the right track.

I think Sharpe is a much better person to reach out to Marshall than Rod. Sharpe and Marshall are very similar in attitude. Rod is a humble "all for the team" guy, which is wonderful, that's the ideal player, but a guy like that isn't going to relate to Marshall. A guy like Sharpe, who is a big showman and trash talker is going to appeal to Marshall on a much deeper level.

The world would be quite a bit more dangerous I could promise you that. I am glad that my thought patterns are my own. It took a long time to make them and they were very expensive to boot.

I am glad that the fans like Marshall. They should. He is a dominating player and should be respected on the field. I agree. Sharpe is definitely the one to call him out but again take a look around the league. Shining examples of people to respect are in short supply. This used to be the core of the NFL and now those are just feel good stories.

The money is the magic. All hail the money.

Sharpe is my Adopt a Bronco. I used to have Mark Schlereth there because I really respect the man's integrity, smarts and directness.

Chris
09-12-2009, 12:05 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4C5vzY1d-c

Odysseus
09-12-2009, 12:07 PM

NOBODY thought Sharpe would make it as a commentator because of that. He sets the English language back 50 years when he gets too excited.

I wonder why Elway's name has not popped up lately.

mr007
09-12-2009, 12:08 PM
Rod made Marshall who he is today - he taught him how to get open and the rest is Marshall's God given talent.

So I guess blind short dumb crippled people have god's given problems?

How about just his talent? :flower:

SoCalBronco
09-12-2009, 12:09 PM
Good job, Shannon. :thumbsup:

Odysseus
09-12-2009, 12:15 PM
So I guess blind short dumb crippled people have god's given problems?

How about just his talent? :flower:

How do we know God gave him that talent? Maybe he sold his soul to the devil.

BroncoMan4ever
09-12-2009, 12:32 PM
Rod made Marshall who he is today - he taught him how to get open and the rest is Marshall's God given talent. If you watch Marshall, he runs the crossing route or slant a lot like Rod did...cheats to the inside a little more and always has his hands up ready for the ball to signal the QB that he's open. I have noticed this especially in the short game.

i was talking more about in the personal life mentoring. Sharpe has a similar personality to Marshall and seems like he could mesh better with him than Rod could. Rod has a personality more in line with Eddie and they seem like they would be a better match as mentor and student.

Rod's teachings on field for Marshall have been instrumental in making him the badass receiver he is today i totally agree, but off field, i think Sharpe would be a better mentor to Marshall because they seem like they would mesh better together due to similar personalities.

Blueflame
09-12-2009, 02:06 PM
NOBODY thought Sharpe would make it as a commentator because of that. He sets the English language back 50 years when he gets too excited.

My guess is that he might be a tiny tad "preoccupied" lately... having just recently gotten married. :)

Bronx33
09-12-2009, 02:17 PM
I guess if marshall still ***** up after this 2 on 1 consultation then he must be a full blown moron i guess the balls in brandon court now.

cutthemdown
09-12-2009, 02:56 PM

Marshall has just finished the yr with great numbers. He had 100 balls and 1000 yrds, 10 tds!!!!!!

They ask him what made you turn your season around!!!!!!

He will say!!!!!!

Man Shannon Sharpe said something that just really stuck!!!!

What was it Marshall, what did he say!!!!!

He said....Bambom, wayyudda bin tinking!!!!!! yudda godda pley herd alla yeara and dend ya begettin da money!!!!!

Fusionfrontman
09-12-2009, 03:17 PM
Marshall has just finished the yr with great numbers. He had 100 balls and 1000 yrds, 10 tds!!!!!!

He will say!!!!!!

He said....Bambom, wayyudda bin tinking!!!!!! yudda godda pley herd alla yeara and dend ya begettin da money!!!!!

^ HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAH! Oh my oh my I read that outloud and almost passed out. Funniest (and most accurate) textual transcript of Sharpe speaking ever!
Thank you.

Bronco Yoda
09-12-2009, 03:18 PM
My guess is that he might be a tiny tad "preoccupied" lately... having just recently gotten married. :)

Just shows you that even the great Elway can be seduced by the dark side (Paige Green is a former Oakland Raiders cheerleader).

maher_tyler
09-12-2009, 03:31 PM
I hope this knucklehead pulls it together once and for all!!

WABronco
09-12-2009, 03:40 PM
Brandon "I get reached out to once an offseason" Marshall.

tebowisdabomb
09-12-2009, 03:46 PM
Wonder if he was giving him a spit bath when he was talking to him?

cutthemdown
09-12-2009, 04:01 PM
^ HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAH! Oh my oh my I read that outloud and almost passed out. Funniest (and most accurate) textual transcript of Sharpe speaking ever!
Thank you.

It actually took some trying, I was really working to get it right!!!!!!!

Who cares though Sharpe played hard every down in a Broncos uniform. He only left because Shanny was stupid and let him go. Just like he let Pryce walk but never got to make up for that one.

Shanny got rid or let walk too many good players for the crap he resigned in return. In the end thats what killed him.

His team was only in it last yr because SD faltered and we had a lucky call to beat them.

Just think what he would have done if he had just not missed on almost all his FA from that yr.

Just a couple better players would have made a world of difference.

rastaman
09-12-2009, 04:28 PM

He will say!!!!!!

Meh! The jury is still out whether Orton can get Brandon the ball at the precise time so Marshall can be successfull, let alone allow Brandon to return to his 07 & 08 stats. Simms maybe can do it, but Chris can't stay healthy. So even if Marshall returns with a positive attitude, it will take time for the offensive players to learn McDaniels offensive schemes.