PDA

View Full Version : Vikes win in the drug case due to state laws...

That One Guy
09-11-2009, 12:13 PM
Anyone see that stuff? Apparently Minnesota state law prevents your employer from punishing you for your first drug offense (or something along those lines) so the NFL is currently prohibited from suspending the Williams' whereas the two caught in New Orleans for the exact same offense will each be suspended 4 games.

This crap is so bogus. The NFL needs to suspend all or nothing or the season is unfair. I never would've thought the NFL would be so ignorant as to fall victim to something like this. States get large benefits from a winning football team through revenue, I wonder what other things a state could get away with.

It's been regularly talked about over at PFT but I'm about to head out on a trip and can't run down a good one-stop story right now. Definitely not fair though.

houghtam
09-11-2009, 12:19 PM
I'm not lawyer, so what I say could be nonsense.

But wouldn't the fact that the NFL is interstate commerce affect this in some way?

gyldenlove
09-11-2009, 12:19 PM
Anyone see that stuff? Apparently Minnesota state law prevents your employer from punishing you for your first drug offense (or something along those lines) so the NFL is currently prohibited from suspending the Williams' whereas the two caught in New Orleans for the exact same offense will each be suspended 4 games.

This crap is so bogus. The NFL needs to suspend all or nothing or the season is unfair. I never would've thought the NFL would be so ignorant as to fall victim to something like this. States get large benefits from a winning football team through revenue, I wonder what other things a state could get away with.

It's been regularly talked about over at PFT but I'm about to head out on a trip and can't run down a good one-stop story right now. Definitely not fair though.

The case is still pending in Minnesota but won't be resumed until after the season has finished.

(It is a good thing that the popularly elected judge in Minnesota isn't at all influenced by popular oppinion among his constituents....)

That One Guy
09-11-2009, 12:20 PM
The case is still pending in Minnesota but won't be resumed until after the season has finished.

(It is a good thing that the popularly elected judge in Minnesota isn't at all influenced by popular oppinion among his constituents....)

Yeah, they might still be punished but who wouldn't benefit from deferring a suspension to another season.

footstepsfrom#27
09-11-2009, 12:31 PM

Yeah, what morons the NFL are, allowing themselves to be dictated to by something as silly as a state law enlisted by elected legislators. They need to man up and break the law so they can teach these rebelious players to obey the law. And who do these state legislators think they are trying to step on the toes of the Vikings just so they can protect employees from losing jobs for a first offense?

gyldenlove
09-11-2009, 12:35 PM
Yeah, they might still be punished but who wouldn't benefit from deferring a suspension to another season.

Especially considering how Pat Williams is probably not going to play for ever, he could very easily end up being suspended after he retires.

SoDak Bronco
09-11-2009, 12:45 PM
liberal state

McMastermind
09-11-2009, 12:45 PM
The NFL needs to suspend all or nothing or the season is unfair.

Are you saying you think NFL policy should trump state law? Wow.

Beantown Bronco
09-11-2009, 12:52 PM
Are you saying you think NFL policy should trump state law? Wow.

Are you saying it doesn't already?

Bronco Boy
09-11-2009, 01:14 PM
This law is the main reason I still have a job.

McMastermind
09-11-2009, 01:14 PM
Are you saying it doesn't already?

No. I am simply saying..... "Are you saying you think NFL policy should trump state law? Wow."

I thought that was pretty clear in my OP?

Garcia Bronco
09-11-2009, 01:20 PM
If the state law says they can't then they can't. I can't stress enough about how the internal rules of the NFL don't matter comapred to state law.

gyldenlove
09-11-2009, 01:24 PM
If the state law says they can't then they can't. I can't stress enough about how the internal rules of the NFL don't matter comapred to state law.

In that case, I suggest that someone suggest that Colorado pass a law that means that every professionel sports game played in Colorado involving 1 team based in Colorado and 1 team not based in Colorado will be won by the team from Colorady regardless of the outcome of play.

We would make the playoffs every year.

Garcia Bronco
09-11-2009, 01:26 PM
In that case, I suggest that someone suggest that Colorado pass a law that means that every professionel sports game played in Colorado involving 1 team based in Colorado and 1 team not based in Colorado will be won by the team from Colorady regardless of the outcome of play.

We would make the playoffs every year.

If Ritter doesn't get this done he'll be even more of a failure.

easymobee
09-11-2009, 09:58 PM
State Govt > NFL

Who woulda thunk? The NFL is just a business, just like Ace Hardware is a business.

Kyle
09-12-2009, 02:05 AM
This is just my two cents, BUT.

If a person enters into a contract in which he agrees to abide by the rules set forth by an employer and the employer states that there will be a penalty for drug offenses, then they should be punished as the employer has stated.
It is a privelage to be emlployed by the NFL. This isn't a minimum wage job at the corner market we are talking about here. Missing a few days worth of work isn't going to cause these people to not be able to provide food or shelter for their children. Most people don't work with as strict and thorough of a contract as these guys do. Laws like that are in place to protect the common man, not professional athletes!

Also, joe schmo smoking a joint and getting busted for it and professional athletes using performance enhancing drugs are two COMPLETELY different things. I know they weren't popped for PEDs, but what they were busted for is used to cover PEDs so I for one am just going to go ahead and assume they were juicing. These guys have trainers and nutritionists available to them if they want to lose a few pounds. This isn't high school wrestling where people are going about every fable and myth to cut a couple of pounds. WHY in the world would they mess around with a diuretic to lose a few pounds of water weight? These guys know by now that it is a waste of time to try to cut weight that way. They have been around trainers for years.

They are idiots. They got busted. They SHOULD get punished.

Drek
09-12-2009, 02:07 AM
We own the 1st round pick of a competing team. Every Bronco fan should be very pleased with this news, from a personal interest standpoint alone. Go Vikings and Packers!

watermock
09-12-2009, 02:43 AM
Minnesota is very liberal.

Hell, they have Japanese instructions on signs in their Airport!

Just like spanish in Pheonix.

No Frenche tho.

'This is simply a matter of posturing.

I wonder if Godell hasthe balls to claim exemption or not.

see, he has no choice.

Either he dissolves the NFL antitrust exemption, or accepts the ruling.

If he disputes, he opens a whole new can of worms on the eve of the CBA.

Buy a clue.

Bronco Boy
09-12-2009, 06:27 AM

No Frenche tho.

see, he has no choice.

Buy a clue.

What does having Japanese instructions in the airport have to do with being liberal? And what does being liberal have to do with this thread?

Dagmar
09-12-2009, 06:32 AM
Mock is such a ****ing retard.

watermock
09-12-2009, 07:05 AM
The same thing as having Spanish in Pheonix.

peacepipe
09-12-2009, 09:30 AM

No Frenche tho.

see, he has no choice.

Buy a clue.

So liberal they have rep. governor.

DarkHorse30
09-12-2009, 10:27 AM
This is not a political question. It's more of a "Goodell is an idiot" statement.