PDA

View Full Version : The game on sunday might be Blacked-Out!

Punisher
09-11-2009, 08:28 AM
The recession has left several teams in danger of having games blacked out this season, including the Cincinnati Bengals and Arizona Cardinals this week.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4462104

HILife
09-11-2009, 08:30 AM
The recession has left several teams in danger of having games blacked out this season, including the Cincinnati Bengals and Arizona Cardinals this week.

I assume it will only be blacked out in Cincy. Why punish the Broncos fans because Cinny doesn't sale out.

rovolution
09-11-2009, 08:33 AM

its only in the city of Cincinatti.

SonOfLe-loLang
09-11-2009, 08:34 AM
Its only blacked out in the home local market. Anyone out of cinci is fine

Punisher
09-11-2009, 08:36 AM
its only in the city of Cincinatti.

That wouldn't make scene :kiddingme So i got direct tv can i still watch the game even tho its Blacked-Out on its local channels?

Hotrod
09-11-2009, 08:37 AM
Who are they playing???

TheElusiveKyleOrton
09-11-2009, 08:38 AM
Simmons actually had a really good point in his column yesterday about the blackouts. Regardless of the recession, people are realizing that it's become remarkably expensive and not terribly fun to go to the games, especially with the pervasiveness of HD television.

Prediction VI: Blackouts of home games will become the signature media story of the 2009 season. You'll hear way too much about it. Here's my take: This isn't about the economy. It's about the fact that it's more fun to stay home and watch football than it is to sit in crappy seats to watch any team ranging from "lousy" to "mediocre." It just is. For many fan bases, here are the two choices every Sunday:
Door No. 1 (more expensive): Traffic, parking, long walk to stadium, lousy seats, lifeless state-of-the-art arena, TV timeouts, dead crowds, drunk/bitter fans, more TV timeouts, hiked-up concession prices, PDAs with jammed signals as you're searching for scores, even more TV timeouts, long walk to car, even more traffic.
Door No. 2 (less expensive): Sofa, NFL package, HD, fantasy scores online, remote control toggling, gambling, access to scores, seven straight hours of football, cell phone calls, beer and food in fridge, no traffic.
I can see going through Door No. 1 once a year just to remind yourself that going to an NFL game sucks. But eight times a year? Unless you had good seats, or unless this was your only excuse to get out of your house and get plastered, why would you? It's a blue-collar sport with white-collar ticket prices. This blackout trend would have happened whether the economy was suffering or not.

ScottXray
09-11-2009, 08:38 AM
Sucks to be them....

According to some here, the Broncos will enter that club after a season or two of McD.

Kreskin is EVERYWHERE!

Hotrod
09-11-2009, 08:43 AM
Simmons actually had a really good point in his column yesterday about the blackouts. Regardless of the recession, people are realizing that it's become remarkably expensive and not terribly fun to go to the games, especially with the pervasiveness of HD television.

Prediction VI: Blackouts of home games will become the signature media story of the 2009 season. You'll hear way too much about it. Here's my take: This isn't about the economy. It's about the fact that it's more fun to stay home and watch football than it is to sit in crappy seats to watch any team ranging from "lousy" to "mediocre." It just is. For many fan bases, here are the two choices every Sunday:
Door No. 1 (more expensive): Traffic, parking, long walk to stadium, lousy seats, lifeless state-of-the-art arena, TV timeouts, dead crowds, drunk/bitter fans, more TV timeouts, hiked-up concession prices, PDAs with jammed signals as you're searching for scores, even more TV timeouts, long walk to car, even more traffic.
Door No. 2 (less expensive): Sofa, NFL package, HD, fantasy scores online, remote control toggling, gambling, access to scores, seven straight hours of football, cell phone calls, beer and food in fridge, no traffic.
I can see going through Door No. 1 once a year just to remind yourself that going to an NFL game sucks. But eight times a year? Unless you had good seats, or unless this was your only excuse to get out of your house and get plastered, why would you? It's a blue-collar sport with white-collar ticket prices. This blackout trend would have happened whether the economy was suffering or not.

I would take door #1 every game if I lived closer.

Have you ever tailgated with friends? It is ****ing awesome.

Shameless plug for Meck and OF1 ^5

That One Guy
09-11-2009, 09:04 AM
I said the same thing after I went to my first ever game a few years ago in Detroit. I spent $300 on 4 tickets, drove like 8 hours each way, got a hotel, etc only to find out that actually being at the game generally sucked. And the Lions won 42-7. I prefer to relax and watch the game but everytime anything happened you had to be on your feet because the people in front of you were. Who really wanted to jump to their feet when Shaun Rogers got the INT or fumble and started back the other way?

I ended up watching most of the game on the tv screens even at the game. Horrible experience overall, I thought. Always had much more fun at less crowded college games.

chawknz
09-11-2009, 09:05 AM
That wouldn't make scene :kiddingme So i got direct tv can i still watch the game even tho its Blacked-Out on its local channels?

If you're in Cinci and the game is blacked out from local channels, it will also be blacked out on DirecTV.

Hercules Rockefeller
09-11-2009, 09:06 AM

But Door No. 1 is so much more fun though. The constant TV timeouts and my inability to get any type of web service on my iPhone so I can check scores/stats during all those TV timeouts are what annoy me the most.

Maybe people who complain about concessions should learn to plan a little better? You can go to a sit-down restaurant on your way to the game for cheaper, better food so you don't have to buy anything during the game. I have 0 sympathy for people who pay for the over-priced beer. We have aisle seats, it's hilarious to watch people walk by multiple times during a game, double-fisting each time. There are people who probably spend almost as much on beer as they do for their tickets.

If it's so damn expensive for concessions/beer yet you want to go to the game, do you have enough self-control to not buy anything while you're there, and just watch the game?

TheElusiveKyleOrton
09-11-2009, 09:14 AM
I have season tickets, and I can totally see Simmons' point. It's wicked expensive just to get in the door. And while I CAN watch football without beer, I'd rather enjoy both together.

I tailgate with friends regularly. But I love away games too because of house parties, which are every bit as fun and don't involve parking, traffic, or light rail.

Popps
09-11-2009, 09:14 AM
The league needs to get a better handle on these blackout rules as teams fight off recession. Blacked out games in small markets will only hurt the league further.

SoDak Bronco
09-11-2009, 09:19 AM
sucks for the bungal fans

TailgateNut
09-11-2009, 09:20 AM
But Door No. 1 is so much more fun though. The constant TV timeouts and my inability to get any type of web service on my iPhone so I can check scores/stats during all those TV timeouts are what annoy me the most.

Maybe people who complain about concessions should learn to plan a little better? You can go to a sit-down restaurant on your way to the game for cheaper, better food so you don't have to buy anything during the game. I have 0 sympathy for people who pay for the over-priced beer. We have aisle seats, it's hilarious to watch people walk by multiple times during a game, double-fisting each time. There are people who probably spend almost as much on beer as they do for their tickets.

If it's so damn expensive for concessions/beer yet you want to go to the game, do you have enough self-control to not buy anything while you're there, and just watch the game?

I concur with most of your post. I barely spend a dime on concessions. We Tailgate before the game, have a few hearty meals, plenty to drink, and once I go to the game I stop drinking beer.
The choices are :1. Brat and 4 beers in the stadium =$30+ or 2. Breakfast and lunch/ Lunch and dinner +snacks and plenty of drinks in the lot (same price) .

I enjoy both watching live and watching in the den. I guess those who don't like live football must have had ****ty ass seats.

Hotrod
09-11-2009, 09:24 AM

No, no I dont :rofl:

mellow mood
09-11-2009, 09:25 AM
if it is blacked out on direct tv i might seriously go postal

bronco militia
09-11-2009, 09:28 AM
No, no I dont :rofl:

http://www.madeincolorado.com/images/flask.jpg

I bring one of these to every game

TailgateNut
09-11-2009, 09:29 AM
http://www.madeincolorado.com/images/flask.jpg

I bring one of these to every game

Bingo!

Punisher
09-11-2009, 09:30 AM

Me too man it's gonna suck

Hotrod
09-11-2009, 09:30 AM
I think I heard somewhere that blacked out games will be played on NFL Network on a delay.

ScottXray
09-11-2009, 09:41 AM
If you live in the Cincinatti area , and its blacked out there, it will be blacked out on the Sunday ticket in the Cincinatti area...
Everyone else will still see it..

Since its an Early game it should go on on time....

mr007
09-11-2009, 09:50 AM
If you're in Cinci and the game is blacked out from local channels, it will also be blacked out on DirecTV.

Pretty sure there are no blackouts on DTV even if it is blacked out local.

Garcia Bronco
09-11-2009, 09:51 AM
Blackout rules only apply to the local market.

Garcia Bronco
09-11-2009, 09:52 AM
Pretty sure there are no blackouts on DTV even if it is blacked out local.

Black out rules are only in effect for the local market. If you are in the local market I don't believe DTV can broadcast it in that market.

garandman
09-11-2009, 10:09 AM
That is correct, even if you have Sunday Ticket, blackout rules apply if you are in the geographic "home market".... In other words if you live in a home market and the local team is a blackout, you are SOL even with Sunday Ticket..

BroncosinDC
09-11-2009, 10:15 AM
I don't get you guys, the roar of the crowd as the broncos take the field, a fighter jet flying over the stadium, that sends goose bumps up my spine. I don't see how you could be at a game and be concerned one bit about a fantasy league. New Mile High does lack the feel the old stadium did. But sitting on my couch has zero appeal if I can see the game live. Remember when cutler took the field and the camera was shaking for a preseason game? Imagine a Sunday night Raiders v Broncos game.

I don't care about the cost. I'm a broncos fan, I love to see my team play hear the crowd as I'm cheering too. I hate crowds I'd never go to a bar on a Friday night. But for my Broncos I'd battle 75,000 people united in one goal...a broncos win.

Punisher
09-11-2009, 10:16 AM
Ive heard that Major Company's for example (Under Armor) will buy the remaining tickets for they can advertise there band on TV. (Only using Under Armor as an example)

lex
09-11-2009, 10:38 AM

LOL. That says a lot.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
09-11-2009, 10:45 AM
lex (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/member.php?u=8366) This message is hidden because lex is on your ignore list (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/profile.php?do=ignorelist).

Ahhhhhh. No need for the bull**** derailing of threads.

broncocalijohn
09-11-2009, 10:46 AM
The league needs to get a better handle on these blackout rules as teams fight off recession. Blacked out games in small markets will only hurt the league further.

The team set the prices to have the blackouts come about in the first place. Add that the team probably isnt very good and there you have it. I wonder how many games the Chargers wont sell out. They had trouble last year for their home opener.

Los Broncos
09-11-2009, 10:50 AM
I don't get you guys, the roar of the crowd as the broncos take the field, a fighter jet flying over the stadium, that sends goose bumps up my spine. I don't see how you could be at a game and be concerned one bit about a fantasy league. New Mile High does lack the feel the old stadium did. But sitting on my couch has zero appeal if I can see the game live. Remember when cutler took the field and the camera was shaking for a preseason game? Imagine a Sunday night Raiders v Broncos game.

I don't care about the cost. I'm a broncos fan, I love to see my team play hear the crowd as I'm cheering too. I hate crowds I'd never go to a bar on a Friday night. But for my Broncos I'd battle 75,000 people united in one goal...a broncos win.

Same here, awesome.

jhns
09-11-2009, 11:03 AM
I think I heard somewhere that blacked out games will be played on NFL Network on a delay.

I haven't heard they will play them on nfl network but I did hear you can download the replay on NFL.com. It will show up at midnight and be there for like 2 or 3 days. I will see if I can find the article.

GoBroncos DownUnder
09-11-2009, 11:10 AM
I have NO PROBLEM with ticket prices for NFL games. Yes they're expensive, but it's not insane.

However, I think when you add on a $7 beer, $6 hot dog, $4 bag of peanuts and a $45 parking space ... That's why a lot of people figure it's easier to watch the game at home or in the bar.

Still there's NO BETTER feeling than getting into the stadium, and walking down the tunnel to your seats 2 minutes before kickoff ... get to the end of the tunnel and the entire stadium opens up before you, feel the buzz of the crowd ... ALWAYS a great feeling! ;)

broncocalijohn
09-11-2009, 11:22 AM
lex (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/member.php?u=8366) This message is hidden because lex is on your ignore list (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/profile.php?do=ignorelist).

Actually, it was one of his best post in months. He didnt even mention Bowlen or McDaniels in his one sentence response. It was amazing.

Hotrod
09-11-2009, 12:06 PM
The game is sold out now

McMastermind
09-11-2009, 01:07 PM

Completely disagree. If they start to loosen the rules now, there is no going back. A blacked out game every now and again in a market small or large doesn't hurt the league one bit.

A league wide 15-20% drop in attendance would hurt big time. And that's exactly what you would have if they caved on the strict B/O policy. The decision to stay home is more about convenience than "The Economy". Multiple HD tv's, laptop, stocked fridge, BBQ, a few friends, no need for designated driver, etc....

I'm in LA so I go to the Chargers/Broncos game every year and that is enough. I don't like staying home either though. I prefer the sports bar where I can see all the games at once. And be waited on. The $300 I save on ST just goes to the bar tab. :thumbs:

broncobum6162
09-12-2009, 05:45 AM

Not if your from out of the area. I have Direct tv in my motor home and plan to tailgate @ the game. I'll still be able to watch the game since I'm not from Cincy thank goodness.

baja
09-12-2009, 06:15 AM

If your billing address is Cinnci you will be blacked out by DTV is the game is blacked out.

baja
09-12-2009, 06:23 AM

Actually he said he now understands why Cutler was traded and why Shanahan was fired. He went on to say that McD is a promising young coach that shows many good decisions and will watch him carefully over the next several game while he reservers his decision on his being good or bad for the Broncos. Oh and he is going to buy a Merino jersey

HILife
09-12-2009, 06:27 AM

door #1 is way better then how they make it sound. I've been to one pro game and had a very good time. Planning on getting tickets to the Broncos & Redskins game and I know I'll have a good time. It will be the first time in a long time Denver is in my area.

I've been to several college games and liked those as well.

HILife
09-12-2009, 06:31 AM
Actually he said he now understands why Cutler was traded and why Shanahan was fired. He went on to say that McD is a promising young coach that shows many good decisions and will watch him carefully over the next several game while he reservers his decision on his being good or bad for the Broncos. Oh and he is going to buy a Merino jersey

I missed that part. Could you ask Lex to re-write it so I can read it.

chadta
09-12-2009, 06:31 AM
anybody have an online feed for this game, i have sunday ticket, and i pay for it, BUT its my sons birthday party so ill be at one of this indoor deathtrap places like chuck e cheese, they have wifi tho so i figure i can still watch the game while the kids run around.

elsid13
09-12-2009, 07:12 AM
anybody have an online feed for this game, i have sunday ticket, and i pay for it, BUT its my sons birthday party so ill be at one of this indoor deathtrap places like chuck e cheese, they have wifi tho so i figure i can still watch the game while the kids run around.

If you have the Superfan package you can watch the games online via DirectTV site. You will need to download the adobe flash player, and the feed is HD but comes across as SD.

broncos-rock
09-12-2009, 07:14 AM
Anybody know of a place to watch the game in lower Manhatten, ny? Sorry didn't want to start a new thread!
Thanks

btw 9/11 memorial was just incredible yesterday!

jhns
09-12-2009, 08:07 AM
I haven't heard they will play them on nfl network but I did hear you can download the replay on NFL.com. It will show up at midnight and be there for like 2 or 3 days. I will see if I can find the article.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/09/10/blackouts.ap/index.html

NFL offers delayed broadcasts of blacked-out games in Week 1

NEW YORK (AP) -- NFL fans whose local teams' games are blacked out will be able to watch replays online for free -- though not until after midnight.

The recession has left several teams in danger of having games blacked out this season, including the Cincinnati Bengals and Arizona Cardinals this week. The league announced Thursday that home fans will be able to view the delayed broadcasts on NFL.com for 72 hours, except during "Monday Night Football."

A game is not aired in the home market if it does not sell out 72 hours in advance.

"We understand that the economy is limiting some families and corporations from buying as many game tickets as they had previously," commissioner Roger Goodell said in a release.

The Bengals and Cardinals each received 24-hour extensions Thursday as the teams tried to sell out their openers and avoid blackouts. Cincinnati plays the Denver Broncos and Arizona faces the San Francisco 49ers.

The defending NFC champion Cardinals said they had about 1,700 tickets remaining. They have sold out all 34 games played at University of Phoenix Stadium, which opened in 2006. But last January the team needed two extensions from the league to sell out its first home playoff game in Arizona.

The Bengals are coming off a 4-11-1 season that left many fans disgruntled about the direction of the franchise, which has one winning season in the last 18 years. The last time Cincinnati failed to sell out a game was November 2003.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/09/10/blackouts.ap/index.html#ixzz0QuBT6XGI

smalltowngrll
09-12-2009, 08:50 AM

I don't think I agree.

Put this in perspective:

~People pay anywhere from $45-$100 and sometimes more to go to a concert that lasts anywhere from 2 hours to maybe, 4 or 5 hours.
~People pay $45-65ish for a college football game (with the exception of student tickets)
~people pay $60+ for a dinner and move out with your girl (or guy in my case) (much more than that if you go to a nice dinner.

Going to a game is not just a few hours of experience, it's an all day event! I would go to the Broncos game any day over watching it my house if I lived closer! The excitement, energy, enjoyment of hanging out with my friends and just coming together for something we both love is something I can't get on my couch at home! And, those that have been to games know that's how it is! If one really wants to go to a game you can grab a ticket (if it's NOT sold out) at face value for $45-$55 at least. Sitting closer you'll pay more, yes, but if you want to be where the energy is, $45 is nothing. This doesn't even include the 1/2 price tickets that are offered.

steeledude
09-12-2009, 08:59 AM
Yeah going to games sucks. All the crap going on lately between our lame off season, Goodell's gastapo policing styles of the NFL AND its fans, and the overall terrible experience of going to the games where everything is completely overpriced--I'm starting to fall on the "who gives a crap about the NFL" bandwagon. I never thought I would, but seriously, watching the Broncos play on my TV on Sundays is somewhat of a tradition. I like to eat and snack WHILE I watch, so the idea of "filling up" ahead of time doesn't make sense. Watching it at home is the best.

If that starts blacking out then I'll go without. I guess I could listen to it on the radio--or do they black out the radio too? It's just not that important to me.