PDA

View Full Version : Simmon's picks the Bronco's as his sleeper team

BoulderBum
09-10-2009, 09:22 AM
Prediction No. VIII: As we all know (or should know), a true sleeper pick can only be a team that: (A) flagrantly sucked last season; and (B) generated little buzz heading into this one. That rules out Houston (too much buzz), Green Bay (ditto), the Jets (9-7 last season) and Bucs (9-7 last season). You have to pick someone from this group: the Bills, Browns, Raiders, Broncos, Chiefs, Lions, Rams, Bengals and Niners. You need the "Nobody believed in us!" factor. You need a team that nailed its April draft and is blessed by a bad division and/or an easy schedule. You need an easy September for momentum. You need a franchise with fans who lost hope and will lose their collective crap if anything good happens. And you need to feel like you want to throw up even as you're anointing the team your sleeper.

My pick? The Broncos. Nobody believes in them because they lost Shanahan (24-24 since 2006) and Cutler (17-20 career record). Was that REALLY a disaster? They hired the architect of New England's record-setting 2007 offense (McDaniels) and traded for a QB with a 21-12 career record as a starter (Kyle Orton). (I know, I'm pushing it with the facts. But those ARE facts.) They crushed the draft: two first-rounders (including running back Knowshon Moreno, who could light it up right away) and five of the top 64 picks. They play in a division with two awful teams (Kansas City and Oakland). They easily could start 4-0 (at Cincy, home for Cleveland, at Oakland, home for Dallas). And the city of Denver has lost all hope. Also, I want to throw up and you are shaking your head right now. In other words, the Broncos fit the bill. Ten and six, I say.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/090910

bronco militia
09-10-2009, 09:23 AM
LOL...f'n pats homer

PRBronco
09-10-2009, 09:24 AM
Haha, I wondered if that asshole would stop hating on us because of our Patriot infusion.

Bronco Boy
09-10-2009, 09:24 AM
Crazier things have happened.

Punisher
09-10-2009, 09:26 AM
Somebody had to pick us.....

lex
09-10-2009, 09:27 AM
Whats sad is that several on this board are religiously devoted to this masshole clown.

Pontius Pirate
09-10-2009, 09:28 AM
Simmons gets torn apart by the Deadspin writers - always good for a laugh

Chris
09-10-2009, 09:30 AM
Whats sad is that several on this board are religiously devoted to this ma-hole clown.

For the last time guys, it's Mass hole. Not MA-hole. That sounds like a toxic lube.

Wow. What mod has lex given free massages to? Can't change it to Massshole MOTHERFstarstarKer.

mass

hole.

TheReverend
09-10-2009, 09:30 AM
Crazier things have happened.

Thermopylae is the only one I can think of

Bronco Boy
09-10-2009, 09:31 AM
I have to agree with him that going to NFL games is just not worth it. Unless you are diehard about the home team and it's a good matchup, its just way better watching at home.

Peoples Champ
09-10-2009, 09:32 AM
I like this optimism. I hope it happens. If it does, I will be smack talking all these bears fans that I am surrounded by.

Popps
09-10-2009, 09:35 AM
I like this optimism. I hope it happens. If it does, I will be smack talking all these bears fans that I am surrounded by.

You mean here on the forum, or where you live?

Jason in LA
09-10-2009, 09:40 AM
This guy is kind of smart. If he turns out to be wrong, which is most likely going to happen, and he knows it, nobody will remember. But if he turns out to be right then he's pretty much the man.

On a side note, it's funny to see Orton's record against Cutler's record. Just goes to show you how meaningless that stat is, and that the QB gets too much credit for a win, and too much blame for a loss.

lex
09-10-2009, 09:42 AM
This guy is kind of smart. If he turns out to be wrong, which is most likely going to happen, and he knows it, nobody will remember. But if he turns out to be right then he's pretty much the man.

On a side note, it's funny to see Orton's record against Cutler's record. Just goes to show you how meaningless that stat is, and that the QB gets too much credit for a win, and too much blame for a loss.

No kidding. Its like saying Bradshaw is better than Elway because the teams he played on won more SBs. As dumb as it is, that doesnt stop people from perpetuating that nonsense, though.

Old Dude
09-10-2009, 09:45 AM
Not the only Broncos sleeper pick.

http://nfl.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pG01-4818010reg.jpg

uplink
09-10-2009, 09:48 AM
I still think the team will be improved on last years 8-8 team. The awful D will be better. Special teams will be better. The tough schedule will help develop and unify the team.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

SonOfLe-loLang
09-10-2009, 09:54 AM
Whats sad is that several on this board are religiously devoted to this ma-hole clown.

I know this was a shot at me and i still have ZERO CLUE why you think i love him so much. I think he's fine, but mediocre writer who can be funny.

You're just an asshole.

dbfan21
09-10-2009, 10:01 AM
I can't stand Bill Simmons and this little write-up makes me hate him even more. If the Broncos do well, then this turd gets a bunch of kudos thrown his way. Why can't you discount the Broncos this year like you do EVERY year?

Thanks a lot, Bill. Where in the hell is an emoticon using the middle finger when you need one?

Peoples Champ
09-10-2009, 10:04 AM

Where I live, there are tons here in STL, and my family in Chicago

BroncoDoug
09-10-2009, 10:09 AM
PACKERS (-3.5) over Bears
Chicago fans have been wondering why I dumped them and adopted the Packers as my NFC North team and Super Bowl pick du jour. It came down to one thing: I didn't want to root for Jay Cutler. Has he had a likable moment yet? This year will be his coming-out party as the most despised player in football. Every time they show him on the sidelines, he looks like a pissed-off trust-fund kid who can't believe the valet scratched his Escalade hybrid. And you know what? He makes the league more fun. I like rooting against him the same way I liked rooting against Rick Barry, Bill Laimbeer and the Iron Sheik. We need more Jay Cutlers in sports. Not everyone was meant to be liked.

haha, from the same article

TailgateNut
09-10-2009, 10:09 AM
I know this was a shot at me and i still have ZERO CLUE why you think i love him so much. I think he's fine, but mediocre writer who can be funny.

You're just an a-hole.

^5 (not about Simmon's)

Mountain Bronco
09-10-2009, 10:11 AM
I don't think Simons knows diddly about the NFL, but the dude is funny. His takes on life and sports are right on sometimes as well. Especially his going to NFL games takes.

HorseHead
09-10-2009, 10:34 AM
"pissed off trust fund kid"...come on haters, that's funny...

TonyR
09-10-2009, 10:42 AM

What's even more sad is that you clearly don't like anyone or anything, including yourself. I pity you while laughing at you.

TonyR
09-10-2009, 10:49 AM
Many of the haters on the mane keep saying how the Broncos are the laughing stock of the league. Meanwhile in Tampa, as Simmons points out, they hired a guy (Raheem Morris) who has less NFL experience than McDaniels to be head coach. And Morris fired his offensive coordinator recently, as did KC and Buffalo. And then there's the Raiders with the Heyward-Bey pick, the Tom Cable punching a coach fiasco, and now the Seymour trade. Sorry, haters, the Broncos are NOT the laughing stock of the league.

TheReverend
09-10-2009, 10:54 AM
Many of the haters on the mane keep saying how the Broncos are the laughing stock of the league. Meanwhile in Tampa, as Simmons points out, they hired a guy (Raheem Morris) who has less NFL experience than McDaniels to be head coach. And Morris fired his offensive coordinator recently, as did KC and Buffalo. And then there's the Raiders with the Heyward-Bey pick, the Tom Cable punching a coach fiasco, and now the Seymour trade. Sorry, haters, the Broncos are NOT the laughing stock of the league.

McDaniels had the "story of the off-season"

Morris has done nothing that could be viewed as dismantling the strength of his football team.

Dagmar
09-10-2009, 10:55 AM
What's even more sad is that you clearly don't like anyone or anything, including yourself. I pity you while laughing at you.

http://img.hephnet.org/images/430_zing.jpg

BroncoMan4ever
09-10-2009, 10:55 AM
i don't give a damn what this guy says, but i have been calling 10-6 all offseason

BoulderBum
09-10-2009, 11:10 AM

Morris has done nothing that could be viewed as dismantling the strength of his football team.

The strength of our team was a 16th rated scoring offense and 29th rated scoring defense, which deservedly led to a HOF coach getting fired. No body liked what happened with the Cutler situation, but there were indications from the beginning of the offseason that Cutler wasn't happy here (especially after Shanny was fired). McD can't be blamed for that 100%.

rbackfactory80

And that didn't last.

Popps

I wonder if Tampa's football forums are imploding with Chicken Little bull****, as well? After all, they have a young coach. What could be worse, huh?

Or, maybe they got tired of being mediocre and realized that change is sometimes a necessary part of life?

Steve Prefontaine
09-10-2009, 11:19 AM

There can be more than one laughing stock.

55CrushEm
09-10-2009, 11:20 AM
Just goes to show you how meaningless that stat is, and that the QB gets WAY too much credit for a win, and WAY too much blame for a loss.

Fixed it for you....but yes, I agree, and that is always the case.

alkemical
09-10-2009, 11:23 AM

http://library.thinkquest.org/5053/Australia/Platypus_J01.jpg

lex
09-10-2009, 11:46 AM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v359/lexlucid/NEBedroom.jpg

lex
09-10-2009, 11:50 AM

So, Broncos fans should tailor their opinion around what other franchises are doing? Sorry, but a lot of people are actually more interested in the Broncos than mimicking other teams.

Inkana7
09-10-2009, 12:43 PM

The Spartans lost Thermopylae.

baja
09-10-2009, 12:43 PM

No doubt.

colonelbeef
09-10-2009, 12:49 PM

The Broncos aren't the laughingstock for the hire, they are the laughingstock because of what the hire has since done.

Simmons knows zero about football, he is a huge pats homer, nothing more.

Ambiguous
09-10-2009, 12:50 PM
I can't believe you guys take Simmons so seriously - he's not an analyst, he's more of a comedy writer.

TonyR
09-10-2009, 12:57 PM
Simmons knows zero about football...

Where do you get this? Is he a "Pats homer"? Yes, and he freely admits it. But why the "he knows zero about football" crap? He got to where he is by being a huge sports fan and cleverly writing about it. He's not an "expert" but he knows plenty about football and demonstrates it regularly. Just because he writes in a sometimes funny, informal style doesn't mean he doesn't know anything about it. And just because you don't like him or don't agree with him doesn't make his opinions any less valid than yours. I realize a lot of his humor probably goes over your head but give it a rest.

lex
09-10-2009, 01:00 PM
Where do you get this? Is he a "Pats homer"? Yes, and he freely admits it. But why the "he knows zero about football" crap? He got to where he is by being a huge sports fan and cleverly writing about it. He's not an "expert" but he knows plenty about football and demonstrates it regularly. Just because he writes in a sometimes funny, informal style doesn't mean he doesn't know anything about it. And just because you don't like him or don't agree with him doesn't make his opinions any less valid than yours. I realize a lot of his humor probably goes over your head but give it a rest.

Once again,...

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showpost.php?p=2548157&postcount=6

TonyR
I can't believe you guys take Simmons so seriously - he's not an analyst, he's more of a comedy writer.

I agree with you, but I wouldn't take him any less serious than most sports writers. A good analogy would be Jon Stewart and politics. The Daily Show is a comedy show but it's also a great source of political news. But it helps to be able to recognize and understand the humor, and I think some people struggle with this.

lex
I agree with you, but I wouldn't take him any less serious than most sports writers. A good analogy would be Jon Stewart and politics. The Daily Show is a comedy show but it's also a great source of political news. But it helps to be able to recognize and understand the humor, and I think some people struggle with this.

TonyR
09-10-2009, 01:01 PM
Once again,...

What sports journalists get the lex stamp of approval?

lex
09-10-2009, 01:06 PM
What sports journalists get the lex stamp of approval?

1) Can you even call it journalism and 2) who says there has to be one?

Rock Chalk
09-10-2009, 01:17 PM

Not really. If their goal had been to hold Thermopylae and keep the Persians out, yes, but that wasn't the point of the battle. It was to buy time for the rest of Greece to mobilize a defense. Athens was successfully evacuated because of the stand at Thermopylae, and the allied Navy properly outfitted to battle the Persians. The Spartans, Athenians, Megerans, Corinthians et.al. were able to muster up nearly nearly 70 thousand lightly armored troops, 35 thousand helots and another approx 35 thousand lightly armored soliders from the rest of greece for a 140 thousand man defensive stand.

While the Persian army is claimed to have been half a million strong, it is probably closer to about 120,000 strong + some traitorous north Greek city state soldiers who lived on the border's of Persian (Macedonians, Thebens, etc).

Effectively, Thermopylae was a resounding victory for the Spartans and Greeks in general as it gave them enough time to properly defend themselves against the Persians.

TonyR
09-10-2009, 01:24 PM
2) who says there has to be one?

So, you're admitting that you don't like any sports writer. Right or wrong?

Pontius Pirate
09-10-2009, 01:26 PM
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2009/0909/pg2_afc_west.jpg

Ambiguous
09-10-2009, 01:26 PM

Is there anything you DON'T complain about?

lex
09-10-2009, 01:31 PM
Is there anything you DON'T complain about?

Not much. Im very prolific AND well-versed.

55CrushEm
09-10-2009, 01:32 PM

What sportswriter IS an expert?? If they were all "experts" then they'd be coaches or GM's......not writers.

WolfpackGuy
09-10-2009, 01:51 PM
Per the article:

My pick? The Broncos. Nobody believes in them because they lost Shanahan (24-24 since 2006) and Cutler (17-20 career record). Was that REALLY a disaster? They hired the architect of New England's record-setting 2007 offense (McDaniels) and traded for a QB with a 21-12 career record as a starter (Kyle Orton). (I know, I'm pushing it with the facts. But those ARE facts.) They crushed the draft: two first-rounders (including running back Knowshon Moreno, who could light it up right away) and five of the top 64 picks. They play in a division with two awful teams (Kansas City and Oakland). They easily could start 4-0 (at Cincy, home for Cleveland, at Oakland, home for Dallas). And the city of Denver has lost all hope. Also, I want to throw up and you are shaking your head right now. In other words, the Broncos fit the bill. Ten and six, I say.

With that comment right there, he should be shot.
And how bad would Denver's record be if they had Kyle Orton the last two years?
He's a Mazshole who should stick to sports in the New England area.

PRBronco
09-10-2009, 01:57 PM
Per the article:

With that comment right there, he should be shot.
And how bad would Denver's record be if they had Kyle Orton the last two years?
He's a Mazshole who should stick to sports in the New England area.

Haha, while I liked our draft, I like how having lots of high picks is his criteria for "crushing" it.

broncosteven
09-10-2009, 02:51 PM

Maybe he is a fan of Persians?

Ironlung
09-10-2009, 02:59 PM
Not much. Im very prolific AND well-versed.

I bet you're a huge dweeb.

Chris
09-10-2009, 03:05 PM
I bet he's a skinny dweeb. Or like that new kind of dweeb, skubby. Guys that are supposed to be skinny but eat too much and thus look like they're bearing children but are skinny everywhere else.

Mr. Elway
09-10-2009, 03:11 PM

Some might argue that promoting a coach to offensive coordinator and subsequently firing him shortly before the season would constitute a mistake. One decision or the other was bad. It certainly poses a setback and an additional challenge for the team to overcome.

Not as bad as losing Cutler but a mistake nonetheless.

Ironlung
09-10-2009, 03:12 PM
I bet he's a skinny dweeb. Or like that new kind of dweeb, skubby. Guys that are supposed to be skinny but eat too much and thus look like they're bearing children but are skinny everywhere else.

That very well could be. I wonder which one of us is correct.

TheReverend
09-10-2009, 03:36 PM
Some might argue that promoting a coach to offensive coordinator and subsequently firing him shortly before the season would constitute a mistake. One decision or the other was bad. It certainly poses a setback and an additional challenge for the team to overcome.

Not as bad as losing Cutler but a mistake nonetheless.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to claim it's all roses and candy canes in Tampa... in fact, I also think Freeman will fail ala Campbell (semi-serviceable but no where near what they wanted).

However, they're not experiencing near the level of turmoil that Denver's seeing, imo.

TheReverend
09-10-2009, 03:39 PM
Maybe he is a fan of Persians?

No, Inkana missed the point entirely... as usual

The statement I replied to was "Crazier things have happened" and not "Crazier victories have been achieved". Nothing to do with victory either way. Imo, if this team can make some significant accomplishments after what I see as spending an entire off-season shooting ourselves in the foot with multiple poor decisions, then I'll be impressed. Same **** I've said all off-season.

Bronco Yoda
09-10-2009, 03:48 PM

http://instantrimshot.com/

Jason in LA
09-10-2009, 04:08 PM

I was hoping that the Broncos would hire Morris. He would fix the defense, and if he left the offense alone and kept the offensive coaching staff this team would be improved.

colonelbeef
09-10-2009, 04:08 PM

He is trite, he resorts to the same formula ad nauseum, and above all, he is entirely predictable. Wow, another red sox analogy, shocker. Of course you would love his boring, hacky brand of lukewarm, safe humor.

From 2008 predictions:

"Prediction No. 9: The Giants finish either 7-9, 6-10 or 5-11."

"Prediction No. 8: Green Bay will win the NFC Central by three games."

And other such gems.

I would argue that Bill Simmons picking the Broncos as his sleeper is the kiss of death, his previous picks were St. Louis in 2006, Atlanta in 2007, and the Jets last year. (He said the Jets would lose their first 3 games and then people would sleep on them- they started 8-3 before getting beat up by Cutler and the Broncos in week 12 and effectively going into a tailspin to finish 9-7, exactly where Vegas had them pegged)

http://pregame.com/forums/forums/p/63272/398590.aspx

Bill Simmons is as tepid as they come, but I'm glad that you enjoy him so much. I'm sure you find Friends and According to Jim to be the highest forms of entertainment as well.

Mr. Elway
09-10-2009, 04:40 PM
I was hoping that the Broncos would hire Morris. He would fix the defense, and if he left the offense alone and kept the offensive coaching staff this team would be improved.

But he didn't leave the offense and its staff alone - he hired an OC, changed his mind, and fired him! Also he got rid of Garcia in favor of Byron Leftwich - a dubious 'upgrade' at best.

Not saying he would not have done a good job here, or that he won't in TB, just that the grass is always greener on the other side. Only time will render the real verdict on any of these guys, including McDaniels. JMHO.

Mr. Elway
09-10-2009, 04:47 PM
To speak to the original topic of the thread, these media "experts" all suck at predictions. Even with the season underway, I have easily outpicked every media "expert" in my pickem league every single year for the last six years and I don't consider myself a football expert.

They may have contacts in the NFL and/or more football knowledge but they know no more than us about who will be good or bad this year. That goes for the Simmons of the world as well as the Claytons. Most people on this board know more about the Denver Broncos than most of them.

Irish Stout
09-10-2009, 04:52 PM

**** thats me. I hate you.

TonyR
09-10-2009, 05:04 PM
He is trite, he resorts to the same formula ad nauseum, and above all, he is entirely predictable. Wow, another red sox analogy, shocker. Of course you would love his boring, hacky brand of lukewarm, safe humor.

From 2008 predictions:

"Prediction No. 9: The Giants finish either 7-9, 6-10 or 5-11."

"Prediction No. 8: Green Bay will win the NFC Central by three games."

And other such gems.

I would argue that Bill Simmons picking the Broncos as his sleeper is the kiss of death, his previous picks were St. Louis in 2006, Atlanta in 2007, and the Jets last year. (He said the Jets would lose their first 3 games and then people would sleep on them- they started 8-3 before getting beat up by Cutler and the Broncos in week 12 and effectively going into a tailspin to finish 9-7, exactly where Vegas had them pegged)

http://pregame.com/forums/forums/p/63272/398590.aspx

Bill Simmons is as tepid as they come, but I'm glad that you enjoy him so much. I'm sure you find Friends and According to Jim to be the highest forms of entertainment as well.

Wow, you know an awful lot about someone you hate! Which means you read every column and tell yourself you hate it but come back for more every time. Glad you've got it all figured out!

lex
09-10-2009, 05:10 PM
Wow, you know an awful lot about someone you hate! Which means you read every column and tell yourself you hate it but come back for more every time. Glad you've got it all figured out!

It doesnt mean that at all. He could easily have friends who show him or tell him about this stuff.

BroncoBuff
09-10-2009, 05:21 PM

Thermopylae, Inchon, and the 09 Broncos.

Gotta admit, 10-6 would be a fun ride :thumbs:

Blart
10-08-2009, 12:14 PM
This deserves a bump. 4-0 start as Simmons foretold. He is a prophet.

Bronco Boy
10-08-2009, 12:29 PM
He's still a douche.

Blart
10-08-2009, 12:54 PM
He's the only sports writer to predict Broncos first 4 games.

DenverBrit
10-08-2009, 01:19 PM
"Not "sleeper team", I said I wanted to "sleep with the team."

Hello!!!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_PbyfZWhFAHQ/SjvebbOM8OI/AAAAAAAAAJE/67Ow9Ldh3mM/s400/richard_simmons.jpg

Blart
10-08-2009, 06:19 PM
He's a great sports writer. If there's a more entertaining/knowledgeable writer out there please link him.

TonyR
10-08-2009, 06:36 PM
This deserves a bump. 4-0 start as Simmons foretold. He is a prophet.

And lex and colonelbeef look like even bigger idiots than they already did. I know, right?!? I didn't think it was possible either...