PDA

View Full Version : team captains

tsiguy96
09-09-2009, 11:03 AM
WOW is all i can say.

Prior to Wednesday afternoon’s practice session, Head Coach Josh McDaniels announced the team’s 2009 captains.

The club’s seven captains are: cornerback Champ Bailey, safety Brian Dawkins, tight end Daniel Graham, inside linebacker Mario Haggan, center Casey Wiegmann and inside linebacker Wesley Woodyard.

This season marks Bailey’s third as a team captain, while it is the second time Graham has taken on the leadership role.

All seven team captains were voted on by their teammates.

Stay tuned to DenverBroncos.com for more information on Wednesday morning’s press conferences.

– Zach Eisendrath, DenverBroncos.com

PRBronco
09-09-2009, 11:04 AM
Ahh, my prediction of no DJ as a captain comes true!

crush17
09-09-2009, 11:06 AM
Mario Haggan must just be kicking all kinds of ass.

oubronco
09-09-2009, 11:07 AM
Doesn't your QB almost always get Captain

PRBronco
09-09-2009, 11:08 AM

It's all part of the smokescreen to keep the Bengals guessing who our starter is ;)

Smiling Assassin27
09-09-2009, 11:09 AM

either:
a) no or
b) we have no qb's on our roster...

ant1999e
09-09-2009, 11:10 AM
Isn't that six?

TailgateNut
09-09-2009, 11:10 AM

Haven't you heard? We don't have one. The only QB in the league is in Chicago.

jhat01
09-09-2009, 11:13 AM
Do it haggs!!

Beantown Bronco
09-09-2009, 11:13 AM
Seriously, talk about a math major.

Maybe they'll do what they did for the past few years and have a rotating "special teams" captain voted on each week.

So far, 4 defensive guys and only 2 on offense. Interesting.

SoDak Bronco
09-09-2009, 11:14 AM
eddie royal...next season

Great13
09-09-2009, 11:14 AM
They added Orton now....

Kid A
09-09-2009, 11:15 AM
Seriously, talk about a math major.

Maybe they'll do what they did for the past few years and have a rotating "special teams" captain voted on each week.

So far, 4 defensive guys and only 2 on offense. Interesting.

Aren't 1 or 2 of them special teams captains?

bronco militia
do you hear that broncos fans? That giant sucking noise is the void at the QB position.

carry on

tsiguy96
im surprised that woodyard, who isnt even starting, is there, while eddie royal is not. haggan is a backup on most teams, for some reason nolan loves him. we need to extend dumerville and kuper soon...

bronco militia
09-09-2009, 11:16 AM
or it could be the hole in Orton's finger

Anaximines
09-09-2009, 11:19 AM
bring dat wood!

SouthStndJunkie
09-09-2009, 11:24 AM
It is cool that Wesley Woodyard was voted a captain in his 2nd year.

Dagmar
09-09-2009, 11:25 AM
wow is all i can say.

dbfan21
09-09-2009, 11:29 AM
Mario Haggan must just be kicking all kinds of ass.

Seriously! Contract extension, team captain...I can't wait to see this guy in some regular season games!

BroncoMan4ever
09-09-2009, 11:33 AM
that said 7, but only 6 are named. i am of the belief that Orton is a captain, but it is being kept under wraps until it is 100% that he is going to play.

randomtask
09-09-2009, 11:34 AM
??? 4 of the selections make sense (Bailey, Dawkins, Graham, and Weigmann) and I guess you could make an arguement for Woodyard (he's been taking names on kick return) but Haggan is puzzling.

Couldn't that spot go to someone like Eddie Royal, or Elvis Dumervil?

You know, someone who isn't a borderline starter at best?

dbfan21
09-09-2009, 11:35 AM
It is cool that Wesley Woodyard was voted a captain in his 2nd year.

I really like this guy! His intensity, his attitude, his roots (UDFA with a chip on his shoulder)...there's a lot to like about WW. :strong:

lex
09-09-2009, 11:35 AM
that said 7, but only 6 are named. i am of the belief that Orton is a captain, but it is being kept under wraps until it is 100% that he is going to play.

After seeing the way Champ was looking at Cutler like he wanted to hug him after their preseason game, I wonder if Cutler was voted an honorary captain?

Punisher
09-09-2009, 11:39 AM
Mario Haggan...? Is this guy even any good i see him starting and i can't help but wonder why...

PRBronco
09-09-2009, 11:40 AM
??? 4 of the selections make sense (Bailey, Dawkins, Graham, and Weigmann) and I guess you could make an arguement for Woodyard (he's been taking names on kick return) but Haggan is puzzling.

Couldn't that spot go to someone like Eddie Royal, or Elvis Dumervil?

You know, someone who isn't a borderline starter at best?

Upon further review, Woodyard has to be the special teams captain, no one else there really plays STs, and Mike Leach was our old one.

Punisher
09-09-2009, 11:40 AM
I really like this guy! His intensity, his attitude, his roots (UDFA with a chip on his shoulder)...there's a lot to like about WW. :strong:

About 90% of the O-Mane loves Woodyard

PRBronco
09-09-2009, 11:42 AM
Mario Haggan...? Is this guy even any good i see him starting and i can't help but wonder why...

Have to say, I wasn't too excited when they named him a starter, and thought it was just temporary, but he looked good out there. Got some good pressure on the QB.

gtown
09-09-2009, 11:42 AM
I was looking forward to buying a Royal jersey with a captain's "C" on it. Oh well....

El Guapo
09-09-2009, 11:53 AM
You can always do that yourself.

tsiguy96
09-09-2009, 12:26 PM
i commented to frank s. about that, he said it really points to how the locker room feels about the players, as they vote on captains, they arent just assigned...

kamakazi_kal
09-09-2009, 12:26 PM

not if he sucks.

Rulon Velvet Jones
09-09-2009, 12:29 PM
DEFENSE
CB Champ Bailey
S Brian Dawkins
ILB Mario Haggan

OFFENSE
QB Kyle Orton
C Casey Wiegmann
TE Daniel Graham

SPECIAL TEAMS
ILB Wesley Woodyard

Punisher
09-09-2009, 12:29 PM
not if he sucks.

:rofl:
Orton's gonna be an OK QB for us i wouldn't say suck

Punisher
09-09-2009, 12:31 PM
Wheres a link when ya need one...

Rulon Velvet Jones
09-09-2009, 12:34 PM
Google

Punisher
09-09-2009, 12:38 PM
DEFENSE
CB Champ Bailey
S Brian Dawkins
ILB Mario Haggan

OFFENSE
QB Kyle Orton
C Casey Wiegmann
TE Daniel Graham

SPECIAL TEAMS
ILB Wesley Woodyard

http://www.milehighreport.com/2009/9/9/1022743/denver-broncos-name-team-captains

TheReverend
09-09-2009, 01:02 PM
Woody gets a Captain spot over DJ and is still on the bench....?

TheReverend
09-09-2009, 01:02 PM
And why are they calling Haggan an ILB? There's nothing inside about him this season...

Hotrod
09-09-2009, 01:04 PM
Wow I cant believe BMarsh got edged out.

I bet it was close

Punisher
09-09-2009, 01:05 PM
I rather have Matt Prater a Captain then Haggan

TheReverend
09-09-2009, 01:05 PM

I bet it was close

Probably rigged the voting so they could be sure AbOrton got one.

Beantown Bronco
09-09-2009, 01:09 PM
I rather have Matt Prater a Captain then Haggan

:notworthy

PRBronco
09-09-2009, 01:15 PM

I don't approve of ragging on Orton, but that's some funny ****, might have snuck out an lol at work.

LittleFloyd
09-09-2009, 01:24 PM
You mean BMarsh isn't a captain? You don't suppose his team mates don't respect him?

Chris
09-09-2009, 01:25 PM

Or, you know, his teammates like him and he's a good leader regardless of what armchair experts think of his throws in the preseason.

TheReverend
09-09-2009, 01:29 PM
Or, you know, his teammates like him and he's a good leader regardless of what armchair experts think of his throws in the preseason.

True... I'd like him too knowing you get surprise blowies everytime you hang out.

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/blogger/blogger/12/2128/1600/seriously%20what%20the%20hell.jpg

Beantown Bronco
09-09-2009, 01:39 PM
True... I'd like him too knowing you get surprise blowies everytime you hang out.

Nice. I could do without the whisker burns down there though......

Hogan11
09-09-2009, 01:43 PM

I bet it was close

Ha!

Cmac821
09-09-2009, 01:56 PM
I am still pushing for captains to be pronounce cap-e-tans

24champ
09-09-2009, 01:59 PM
7th Captain is Brandstater.

BroncoMan4ever
09-09-2009, 03:11 PM
After seeing the way Champ was looking at Cutler like he wanted to hug him after their preseason game, I wonder if Cutler was voted an honorary captain?

i remember that picture. that looked more like a cameraman put them together and Champ just dealt with it, because the look on his face, looked to me like he wanted to bitch slap Cun+ler

BroncoMan4ever
09-09-2009, 03:12 PM
Woody gets a Captain spot over DJ and is still on the bench....?

i still say that had Mike not given DJ that huge contract a couple years ago, that Woodyard would have stolen his starting job already.

Gcver2ver3
09-09-2009, 04:44 PM
anyone griping about who was voted team captain just doesn't get it...

we aren't in the locker room nor in the huddle...the 7 players chosen were elected by their peers...

if anything, this should give us an indication of players who have stepped up this year (and also an indication of some who may not have)...

good for Woodyard & Haggans...they're clearly leading by example and making the best of their opportunities...

fdf
09-09-2009, 04:58 PM

Actually, he was voted Bronco-team-captain-for-life-no-matter-what by the disappointed Maners :)

And, he was voted most-likely-to-showup-loaded-for-a-divisional-title-game by the cutler-sucks Maners :)

And, he was voted most-boring topic of conversation by me. So why am I posting?

UberBroncoMan
09-09-2009, 05:33 PM

Look at the video on DenverBroncos.com where they name the captains. You see Mario Haggan screaming and hyping everyone up before a game... he's not a captain because he's "amazing" it's because he's a motivator and a leader.

footstepsfrom#27
09-09-2009, 05:33 PM
So 1 in every 7 guys is a captain? That's a lot of captains.

Hamrob
09-09-2009, 05:45 PM
Very interesting that DJ isn't a captain and especially that Davis isn't either. Davis was supposed to have been picked up strictly due to his leadership.

Woodyard must have gotten it for ST's.

Clady and Royal should be due next year!

Orton is a joke!

UberBroncoMan
09-09-2009, 05:56 PM
Very interesting that DJ isn't a captain and especially that Davis isn't either. Davis was supposed to have been picked up strictly due to his leadership.

Orton is a joke!

Most all of the teams starting QB's are captains.

SoCalBronco
09-09-2009, 06:15 PM
What an embarassment.

I can understand Woodyard for Special Teams, but Haggan over DJ ? That's pretty stupid, although there's a ton of stupid things going on on this team, so why not just add to it, I suppose.

Clady or Royal should have gotten a spot on offense as well.

Rock Chalk
09-09-2009, 06:32 PM
What an embarassment.

I can understand Woodyard for Special Teams, but Haggan over DJ ? That's pretty stupid, although there's a ton of stupid things going on on this team, so why not just add to it, I suppose.

DJ's athleticism does not translate into leadership and apparently the LOCKER ROOM knows it.

He's just not a natural leader is all.

It doesn't mean he sucks or that Haggan is better.

Jesus Christ dude, get over it.

watermock
09-09-2009, 07:12 PM
I'm honestly surprised Beavis didn't choose.

Or Xanders.

Now we're gonna re-sign BM?

I guess he's been suffcienty humiliated and needs rent/legal fees.

You KNOW he's not a happy camper.

jhat01
09-09-2009, 07:17 PM
I'm honestly surprised Beavis didn't choose.

Or Xanders.

Now we're gonna re-sign BM?

I guess he's been suffcienty humiliated and needs rent/legal fees.

You KNOW he's not a happy camper.

What are you talking about? You think the guys should have voted BM a captain?

TailgateNut
09-09-2009, 07:18 PM
i remember that picture. that looked more like a cameraman put them together and Champ just dealt with it, because the look on his face, looked to me like he wanted to b**** slap Cun+ler

Bitch-slap IS the correct terminology when talking about Jay.

According to a few (uptight posters) I am to refrain from calling him a C word.

Ray Finkle
09-09-2009, 07:18 PM
What an embarassment.

Cut the crap.....If DJ had not gone to Miami, you wouldn't care. He is a good player but vastly overrated. The team voted on this, not McDaniels and the evil syndicate.

Some of you guys really, really need to pull your head out of your ass and drop the bitter hatred to everything Broncos.

TonyR
09-09-2009, 07:25 PM
What an embarassment.

Speaking of embarassments, what are you having such a hard time understanding here? The players vote on the captains. Clearly, the players chose Haggan over DJ. Is this really that difficult?

TonyR
09-09-2009, 07:26 PM
Some of you guys really, really need to pull your head out of your ass and drop the bitter hatred to everything Broncos.

You beat me to it. And this genius is one of the mods here. Unreal.

tsiguy96
09-09-2009, 07:27 PM
What an embarassment.

the embarrassment is a fan telling the players on the team they are wrong for voting who they felt were the captains of this team.

Rock Chalk
09-09-2009, 07:41 PM
You beat me to it. And this genius is one of the mods here. Unreal.

SoCal's a good poster but he's like anyone, when it comes to one of his alma mater's players he defends him, right or wrong.

I don't generally have that problem since we have no KU all-stars on the team, Im hoping for one some day though. Next year, Dezmon Brisco in the second!

Broncos123
09-09-2009, 08:11 PM
No Marshall, does McDaniels not like him or something.

BroncoMan4ever
09-09-2009, 09:37 PM
What an embarassment.

how is Haggan over DJ stupid? the players voted on it, it isn't like McDaniels said these are my captains deal with it, the players decided they wanted these guys to lead them

also, DJ is not a motivational or vocal leader, he is a quiet lead by example guy. Haggan is the guy amping dudes up.

i do agree that Royal should have gotten the C over Weigman though.

BroncoMan4ever
09-09-2009, 09:38 PM

Orton is a joke!

Orton is not a joke. he is like Jake Plummer. he may not have the greatest athletic ability but he is a damn good leader, that is one thing he is head and shoulders above Cutler in.

his teammates take to him and like to play under his leadership.

Lev Vyvanse
09-09-2009, 09:48 PM
What an embarassment.

The team elected captains are an embarrassment? I guess it wouldn't be the first time democracy has failed us, just look at your sig.

Crushisback
09-09-2009, 09:53 PM
This is getting too stupid! Some of you idiots have to spin everything negatively that the Broncos do. You sound like Chief fans. Really, why don't you guys with this attitude do all of us a favor and go buy a Matt Cassell jersey.

scorpio
09-09-2009, 09:53 PM
What an embarassment.

http://imgur.com/bkyjd.png

JCMElway
09-10-2009, 08:47 AM
Woodyard is probably the special teams captain. I approve of this guy carrying the banner for Keith Burns.

Punisher
09-10-2009, 08:55 AM
Woodyard is probably the special teams captain. I approve of this guy carrying the banner for Keith Burns.

LMAO Keith Burns was never as good as Woodyard, and i don't want Woodyard being our ST Captain for like 15 years.

I think the guy should start, but that's just me, maybe Haggan is better than him ::) lets hope not.