PDA

View Full Version : Tuesday: Transcripts McDaniels talks Orton,Moreno,Marshall

HEAV
09-08-2009, 09:52 PM
HEAD COACH JOSH MCDANIELS

On RB Knowshon Moreno's progress
"He is getting better every day, doing everything he can do to be ready to go on Sunday. He was in there today and worked in and out of the drills today and some of the team periods, too. He is not totally there yet, but he is getting better every day. Hopefully, we will have him ready to go on Sunday."

On whether Moreno will play at Cincinnati on Sunday
"I am not going to predict that. I hope that everybody that was out there on the field today can play on Sunday."

On QB Kyle Orton's performance at practice
"Pretty good. Obviously, there is a little bit of restriction for a quarterback when you've got something on your hand, but for the most part, everything was clean. Hopefully, everybody that was out there today will be ready to go on Sunday."

On how wearing a glove changes the game for a quarterback
"It is a combination of the healing process and then how effective he can be. If he's able to be the most effective guy we have got, then certainly he'll play."

On if the uncertainty of the quarterbacks' status affects their repetitions
"Not really. This (week) particularly since we've got a longer week, we can split them a little bit more across the board. We normally will give our No. 2 quarterback a number of reps during the course of the week anyway, so it's not really unorthodox. Today, everybody kind of got reps today. I don't think it's affected it that much."

On WR Brandon Marshall's past two practices
"He did well. He is working back in and getting really familiar with what we're asking him to do. We will see how it goes."

On Marshall's attitude at practice
"Great."

On if Marshall can contribute to the Broncos despite missing several practices
"Absolutely."

On how much he anticipates Marshall will play at Cincinnati
"I think he is a good football player. If he is ready to go and we go through this week of practice and we feel like that's the direction we should play on Sunday, then certainly we all know what he can do as a football player. It is a matter of getting acclimated to enough of the game plan and him understanding what's going on, but we'll see as we go through the week."

On the effect of Marshall's presence on the field
"I don't know. We haven't really played a game with him out there yet, so I'm not exactly sure how somebody else is going to defend us if he is out there. We' will see as we go here. We will see if it makes a difference in somebody else's determination whether they should do something different to our offense or not."

On TE Richard Quinn's status
"I have talked to Richard Quinn, but I am not going to comment on that. We are going to support him and also let the legal process play out. Again, I'm not going to comment on that whole situation."

On if he has talked to Marshall privately since his return to practice
"I have talked to him more than once. We are looking forward to moving past this, and he's out there practicing hard. That's what we're looking for."

On his relationship with Marshall now as compared to two weeks ago
"We have a good relationship. He comes here. He goes to work. I coach him and try to teach him as much as I can teach him. He is working hard on the field. What level our relationship is at other than that, I don't know. I don't think there is anything wrong with our relationship. It is a player and a coach trying to get better and trying to help our team win. I think that is kind of where we're at."

On signing DL Vonnie Holliday
"Vonnie has got some familiarity with the system that we run. We had him in earlier in the year. He was coming off of a little bit of a cleanup in terms of a little procedure and wasn't quite ready to do a workout and all that kind of stuff. We brought him back in, stayed in touch and I think it worked out for the best for everybody. He is excited to be here. We are excited to have him. I think he can help improve our depth on the defensive line. He has obviously played that position. He has got some knowledge about how to play it, and I think that is helpful for some of our younger players, too."

On Holliday's immediate contributions
"We are finding out every day. I certainly don't think we can expect 70 plays out of him on Sunday, but hopefully that will get better every day that he is here and every day that he is out there. We're working him hard. He is taking reps on the show teams, (and) our defense, trying to make sure that he is in as good a shape that he can possibly get himself in before the weekend. We will see. We will evaluate it, and certainly, we don't want to put ourselves in a bad situation expecting a player that hasn't played or practiced a lot during training camp to play too many plays."

On if Orton's glove adds more stability
"I have no idea. I don't have any answer to that. If the injury is dealt with better with a glove on then with having no glove or he feels better without it and he's comfortable without it, then we'll go without it."

On if Orton will start at Cincinnati on Sunday
"I am not going to say yet because again, we are going to evaluate how this process goes. It would be silly for me to say that now and then go back on it or vice-versa. We are going to evaluate how that works this week with our game plan with what we are going to do, with what we're asking the quarterbacks to do. If he can do it and do it effectively, then he'll play."

On QB Chris Simms' status
"He is doing fine. He moved around well today. I am sure he is probably just a little sore here and there, but he seems to be doing fine."

On if the differences between the quarterbacks affect the game plan for Cincinnati
"No, their strengths and weaknesses are much more similar than maybe you are giving them credit for. They both run the offense effectively, and both of them would be ready to go and operate the system and game plan that we are going to run this weekend."

SoCalBronco
09-08-2009, 09:57 PM
Thanks for the transcript, HEAV. :)

Sounds like the McD and Marshall situation is getting better...which is very promising.

Clockwork Orange
09-08-2009, 10:02 PM
McDaniels needs Brandon Marshall and he knows it. Off the field idiocy aside, he needs what Marshall brings to the field and his beloved system like the roses need the rain.

Hercules Rockefeller
09-08-2009, 10:25 PM
McDaniels needs Brandon Marshall and he knows it. Off the field idiocy aside, he needs what Marshall brings to the field and his beloved system like the roses need the rain.

and Marshall needs McDaniels, and BM probably realizes it after his agent, his lawyer, Rod, everyone in the world told him that he's not getting out of town if he continues to behave like he did when he was caught on tape.

It's a symbiotic relationship.

Clockwork Orange
09-08-2009, 10:28 PM
and Marshall needs McDaniels, and BM probably realizes it after his agent, his lawyer, Rod, everyone in the world told him that he's not getting out of town if he continues to behave like he did when he was caught on tape.

I agree. Maybe someone finally wrote it out in crayon for Marshall that he has zero leverage in this situation and that each childish antic was getting him further and further from the fat signing bonus he craves.

lex
09-08-2009, 10:29 PM

Kind of. Although, Marshall is actually more proven as a WR than McDaniels is as a head coach.

Hercules Rockefeller
09-08-2009, 10:33 PM
Kind of. Although, Marshall is actually more proven as a WR than McDaniels is as a head coach.

Marshall tanked any value he had after his childish antics were displayed for the entire world to see in that video. He can claim all he want that he's an accomplished WR, doesn't change the fact that he's immature and a suspension waiting to happen. He needs to prove that he's no longer those things, and that needs to be done in Denver if he ever wants a trade elsewhere.

SonOfLe-loLang
09-08-2009, 10:36 PM
I hope this is the beginning of a reconciled relationship. Id really like to see brandon stick around and thrive in denver. Hopefully it happens, only time will tell

lex
09-08-2009, 10:42 PM
Marshall tanked any value he had after his childish antics were displayed for the entire world to see in that video. He can claim all he want that he's an accomplished WR, doesn't change the fact that he's immature and a suspension waiting to happen. He needs to prove that he's no longer those things, and that needs to be done in Denver if he ever wants a trade elsewhere.

The video was more bothersome to you than it was to other teams. The bigger issue is his legal troubles because thats what has him as a risk. If there was only the video you speak of without the DUI and court case, teams would less reluctant.

But either way, McDaniels is just some guy at this point more than Marshall is just some WR.

Pseudofool
09-08-2009, 10:43 PM
Kind of. Although, Marshall is actually more proven as a WR than McDaniels is as a head coach.Nice non-sequitor rip. And an obvious point as McD is a first year coach. Maybe next time, you'll tell us that when you have the football you want to score.

Pseudofool
09-08-2009, 10:44 PM
The video was more bothersome to you than it was to other teams. You know this how? Give it up, "insider."

OBF1
09-08-2009, 10:45 PM
I am calling it.... Bronco's win on Sunday. Bank it, championship.

Pseudofool
09-08-2009, 10:45 PM
Ripping on lex aside, I'm encouraged by how forthright McD is and his reluctance to feed a line of BS.

I wonder how many carries Moreno gets. I'm guessing no more than ten, if he plays at all.

lex
09-08-2009, 10:46 PM
You know this how? Give it up, "insider."

Look around the league. Teams ignore far worse things than the video.

Pseudofool
09-08-2009, 10:46 PM
I am calling it.... Bronco's win on Sunday. Bank it, championship.We get a trophy for beating the Bengals? Who knew.

lex
09-08-2009, 10:47 PM
Ripping on lex aside, I'm encouraged by how forthright McD is and his reluctance to feed a line of BS.

I wonder how many carries Moreno gets. I'm guessing no more than ten, if he plays at all.

Ripping must be a new synonym for whiffing.

Pseudofool
09-08-2009, 10:51 PM
Look around the league. Teams ignore far worse things than the video.That wouldn't convince a third grader. The fact that teams would accept such behavior speaks nothing to the fact that the video depreciates Marshall's value. Teams might want Marshall just as much, but they aren't willing to pay as much.

Given that no team has traded for Marshall, I think, demonstrates his lack of value. Even with all these Jets rumors and names being thrown around, nothing got done. And this is a team that was willing to trade Jay Cutler.

Pseudofool
09-08-2009, 10:52 PM
Ripping must be a new synonym for whiffing.
I'm not trying to score burn points, but you obviously are with the use of assonance. What's next a literary allusion? A shadow puppet?

lex
09-08-2009, 10:57 PM
That wouldn't convince a third grader. The fact that teams would accept such behavior speaks nothing to the fact that the video depreciates Marshall's value. Teams might want Marshall just as much, but they aren't willing to pay as much.

Given that no team has traded for Marshall, I think, demonstrates his lack of value. Even with all these Jets rumors and names being thrown around, nothing got done. And this is a team that was willing to trade Jay Cutler.

Poppycock. Now youre just posturing and its feable.

Marshall wouldnt get suspended by being mean to a ballboy. If he had only been mean to a ball boy, teams would be lining up for him. For some reason people like to assign more meaning to the video, possibly because they identify with the ball boy.

Pseudofool
09-08-2009, 11:04 PM
Poppycock. Now youre just posturing and its feable.

Marshall wouldnt get suspended by being mean to a ballboy. If he had only been mean to a ball boy, teams would be lining up for him. For some reason people like to assign more meaning to the video, possibly because they identify with the ball boy.What are you talking about? Suspension? I'm talking about how much teams are willing to dish out to acquire Marshall. The fact that the video surfaced led to Marshall's value getting depreciated. Whether or not it's legitimate doesn't matter; it allows other teams to lower their bids for two reasons 1) the appearance that Denver needs to get rid of him and 2) that Marshall's not that valuable because he's malcontent.

Do you want to sit on my knee while I explain Supply and Demand to you?

Pseudofool
09-08-2009, 11:06 PM
Apologies to everyone for this thread getting derailed. The transcript is interesting and I hope the thread returns to its topic.

lex
09-08-2009, 11:09 PM
What are you talking about? Suspension? I'm talking about how much teams are willing to dish out to acquire Marshall. The fact that the video surfaced led to Marshall's value getting depreciated. Whether or not it's legitimate doesn't matter; it allows other teams to lower their bids for two reasons 1) the appearance that Denver needs to get rid of him and 2) that Marshall's not that valuable because he's malcontent.

Thats rather an inane point to make considering he remained on the team well before the video. Not only that but the malcontent issue is the only reason he would be available. Yet another inane point.

Do you want to sit on my knee while I explain Supply and Demand to you?

Why dont you work on not making inane points first.

lex
09-08-2009, 11:14 PM
Nice non-sequitor rip. And an obvious point as McD is a first year coach. Maybe next time, you'll tell us that when you have the football you want to score.

No, its not obvious. Many are pro-management and see things in terms of leverage against the player and often ignore the flip side or look at it myopically.

Pseudofool
09-08-2009, 11:20 PM
I'm not even sure you know what inane means. How the heck does the fact that Marshall had not been traded before the video disprove that his value had depreciated after the video?

Look, just let it go. You took a misstep when you contended that other teams did not perceive the notion of acquiring Marshall differently after the video aired. Do the honorable thing and back-peddle.

lex
09-08-2009, 11:26 PM
I'm not even sure you know what inane means. How the heck does the fact that Marshall had not been traded before the video disprove that his value had depreciated after the video?

Look, just let it go. You took a misstep when you contended that other teams did not perceive the notion of acquiring Marshall differently after the video aired. Do the honorable thing and back-peddle.

No, you made a misstep when you made an inane rebuttal that you, no doubt, thought was profound. And now youre resorting to more posturing to hide your tracks. Its unfortunate that you were undone by your own bull****.

BTW, if you dont know what inane means, I encourage you to look it up.

BroncoMan4ever
09-08-2009, 11:45 PM
Thanks for the transcript, HEAV. :)

Sounds like the McD and Marshall situation is getting better...which is very promising.

was the problem ever really between McDaniels and Marshall? i know McDaniels is the one who finally decided it was in the best interests of the team to suspend him, but i have been under the impression Marshall's beef is with the front office more than the coaching staff

lex
09-08-2009, 11:51 PM
was the problem ever really between McDaniels and Marshall? i know McDaniels is the one who finally decided it was in the best interests of the team to suspend him, but i have been under the impression Marshall's beef is with the front office more than the coaching staff

No. It seems like it was more Marshall vs Bowlen. Back when this first started and Marshall spoke with Bowlen, McDaniels gave a press conference that made it look like McDaniels and Bowlen werent on the same page exactly.

Bronco Yoda
09-09-2009, 12:08 AM
We get a trophy for beating the Bengals? Who knew.

We get Ocho's grill.

Atwater His Ass
09-09-2009, 12:26 AM
not only was that practice video a waste of time to even prodcue, it didn't hurt marshall's value one little bit.

his constant legal troubles are what kept teams at bay.

cutthemdown
09-09-2009, 01:26 AM
I can't wait for Marshall to take one of the screens you all hate to the house with a stiff arm, a good block or 2, and then a 60 yrd scampe.

Chris
09-09-2009, 08:23 AM
The video was more bothersome to you than it was to other teams. The bigger issue is his legal troubles because thats what has him as a risk. If there was only the video you speak of without the DUI and court case, teams would less reluctant.

But either way, McDaniels is just some guy at this point more than Marshall is just some WR.

Every great coach starts as "just some guy". Hell, Abe Lincoln started as "just some guy". Is Mcdaniels going to be the next Abe Lincoln? No, he's too short. But you can't judge a coach until you've seen him coach.

lex
09-09-2009, 08:27 AM
Every great coach starts as "just some guy". Hell, Abe Lincoln started as "just some guy". Is Mcdaniels going to be the next Abe Lincoln? No, he's too short. But you can't judge a coach until you've seen him coach.

Actually, you can do that and its quite easy to do so. And it doesnt have to be purely results oriented. And as with your presidential comparison, thats often how presidents are judged. Also notice the usage of "is" vs. "was" or "will be".

Chris
09-09-2009, 08:32 AM
Ignoring the relationship he has with the guy, if I look at Bill Belichick off the field I'm not all that impressed with his ego and disdain laden mumbles to the media. On top of that letting go of some of the players he has over the years would make me think twice but at the end of the day all of that is justified because he is an incredible coach whose team is competitive every year and seems to always find a way to win.

Football is about winning (results). That's all Mcdaniels has been preaching since he got here.

Give us your evaluation after four games at least.

lex
09-09-2009, 08:36 AM
Ignoring the relationship he has with the guy, if I look at Bill Belichick off the field I'm not all that impressed with his ego and disdain laden mumbles to the media. On top of that letting go of some of the players he has over the years would make me think twice but at the end of the day all of that is justified because he is an incredible coach whose team is competitive every year and seems to always find a way to win.

Football is about winning (results). That's all Mcdaniels has been preaching since he got here.

Give us your evaluation after four games at least.

Judgment is ever evolving and not a 4 game game assessment. Also, McDaniels has actually been preaching all things McDaniels. He is a slave to his system and the team may lose because of it. Also, Joe Ellis has admitted that McDaniels insisted on being the face of the franchise. Its kind of laughable to suggest McDaniels is more about the team than he is about himself and his "I can be like Belichick" fantasy camp.

Borks147
09-09-2009, 08:42 AM
Orton will probably wear a glove all year. Remember a few years back when Warner broke his thumb, he started wearing a glove and hasn't looked back since. Thats obviously anecdotal evidence, but it does seem from that once qb's start wearing gloves, they stick with the,.

Chris
09-09-2009, 08:42 AM
I don't disagree that Mcdaniels has a massive ego and is hoping to ride the Broncos to many victories and acclaim for himself. In fact, I think it's so central to his character that there's no doubt he sees it as a life and death thing. History teaches us that the human ego can be an incredibly powerful motivational tool.

I want to see a championship winning franchise again, period. If Mcdaniels can do that he deserves all the praise in the world.

Also: I don't disagree that judgment is ever evolving either but to judge a guy as vocally as some have done on this board before he's even played a game is a bit unfounded when, as I said, it's all about the Ws.

lex
09-09-2009, 08:47 AM
I don't disagree that Mcdaniels has a massive ego and is hoping to ride the Broncos to many victories and acclaim for himself. In fact, I think it's so central to his character that there's no doubt he sees it as a life and death thing.

History teaches us that the human ego can be an incredibly powerful motivational tool. I want to see a championship winning franchise again, period. If Mcdaniels can do that he deserves all the praise in the world.

Meh.

55CrushEm
09-09-2009, 08:59 AM
Every great coach starts as "just some guy". Hell, Abe Lincoln started as "just some guy". Is Mcdaniels going to be the next Abe Lincoln? No, he's too short.

:rofl:

Houshyamama
09-09-2009, 09:09 AM
This thread is easier to read since:

This message is hidden because lex is on your ignore list.

Pseudofool
09-09-2009, 09:21 AM

I should try that.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
09-09-2009, 09:34 AM

Co-sign! Now if everyone would stop quoting him, we'd be all set, and could actually talk football instead of stroking his moronic ego.

Killericon
09-09-2009, 09:46 AM
Thanks a ton!

"We are going to evaluate how this process goes"

I love sports-speak.

lex
09-09-2009, 10:13 AM
Awesome. I like how it takes a town hall meeting for some to figure out they can put me on ignore. A decision that only requires one person now requires three. Classic.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
09-09-2009, 10:27 AM
lex (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/member.php?u=8366) This message is hidden because lex is on your ignore list (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/profile.php?do=ignorelist).

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Inkana7
09-09-2009, 10:39 AM
So after 44 posts, have we reached the conclusion that lex is a douche? Alright.

Dedhed
09-09-2009, 10:47 AM

Just dead arse backwards, and par for the lex course. Every team in the league overlooks off the field issues because a guy comes to work and does his job. Bring it onto the field like Marshall did, and you'll lose the respect of players and coaches faster than any singular off field issue.

lod01
09-09-2009, 10:50 AM

Pump a couple of brews into Jerry Jones and a few weeks of Roy Williams suckage will have Jones giving his right kidney for Marshall.

Beantown Bronco
09-09-2009, 10:51 AM
Every team in the league overlooks off the field issues because a guy comes to work and does his job. Bring it onto the field like Marshall did, and you'll lose the respect of players and coaches faster than any singular off field issue.

Matt Jones disagrees.

rastaman
09-09-2009, 12:33 PM
I can't wait for Marshall to take one of the screens you all hate to the house with a stiff arm, a good block or 2, and then a 60 yrd scampe.

Imagine this scenario and everyone is happy, exuberant, hi-5's etc. Then after the game, Bmarsh is interviewed and the first statement out of his mouth: "I want to be traded"! the interviewer follows up with another question and Brandon responds: "I want to be traded"!

Boy how bizarre would that be?

rastaman
09-09-2009, 12:36 PM
So after 44 posts, have we reached the conclusion that lex is a douche? Alright.

Why attack someone b/c they have the foresight to think outside the box? What! Broncos must all be monolithic with their fan support or they're labled a douche? Where's the diversity of "Thought and Opinions"????

Mr. Elway
09-09-2009, 12:45 PM
Why attack someone b/c they have the foresight to think outside the box? What! Broncos must all be monolithic with their fan support or they're labled a douche? Where's the diversity of "Thought and Opinions"????

By your definition, Travis Henry provided diversity of character to the Broncos.