PDA

View Full Version : "It is difficult to make predictions, especially about the future"

HEAV
09-08-2009, 09:39 PM
With many on here and in the media having already written off the BRONCOS in 2009, I decided to look back a year ago and see how many thought the 2008 NFL season would come to be.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/preview08/news/story?id=3552727

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2008/09/04/fanhouse-2008-nfl-predictions/

I'm more than a few fans of the Ravens,Falcons,Dolphins and even the Cards thought their teams 08 season would not be as succseful as it ended up being.

I understand the popular thing to do around this site is to bash McDaniels, setting up your (I told you so's), and basically clamoring over every little aspect of the team as a failure...but let's not look too deep into the crystal ball...

Fans should just sitback and let the season play out. Maybe we all will be surprised with what happens.

Chris
09-08-2009, 09:43 PM
Here, here. We just don't know what's going to happen. Welcome back Heav.

Archer81
09-08-2009, 09:47 PM
Optimism is no longer allowed.

:Broncos:

baja
09-08-2009, 09:50 PM
Is that a Yogi Berra line? (thread title)

Meck77
09-08-2009, 09:52 PM
We have plenty of experts here who can predict the past.

tsiguy96
09-08-2009, 09:58 PM
but the offseason isnt going how people on this forum want it to go, so the season must be a waste...

Archer81
09-08-2009, 10:00 PM
but the offseason isnt going how people on this forum want it to go, so the season must be a waste...

Pretty much.

Madden has ruined much.

:Broncos:

DHallblows
09-08-2009, 10:22 PM
Oh sweet! I wasn't aware we drafted a QB in the first round. Or have a proven vet QB on the roster.
And I was under the crazy impression our D has been terrible the last few years.
My bad, idk how I missed that. We're capable of pulling off what those teams did after all!!!

OBF1
09-08-2009, 10:47 PM
DHall...wipe of your chin, enough of that kind of talk

DHallblows
09-08-2009, 11:41 PM
DHall...wipe of your chin, enough of that kind of talk

lulz
Wasn't aware thinking we'd win under eleven games or not making the SB was being overly negative...

Los Broncos
09-08-2009, 11:44 PM
I have good and bad feelings about the season, lets just see how is plays out.

Taco John
09-08-2009, 11:45 PM
We play in the weakest AFC West in decades. There's no reason why this team can't be competitive.

atomicbloke
09-09-2009, 01:01 AM
"It is difficult to make predictions, especially about the future"

I totally agree.

Making predictions about the past is much easier.

cutthemdown
09-09-2009, 01:35 AM
Broncos will probably lose some heart breakers this yr. I really don't think you are going to see a bunch of whoopings. I fact I will say I bet we don't get beat all yr as bad as we got beat by NE last yr.

Dawkins will make a few plays a game to stop 3rd downs that last yr we didn't get.

I think the defensive line at least being bigger will stop some of the easy running yrds we gave up in chunks last yr.

I think Prater does better then 75ish% like he was last yr. More like low 80's this yr.

I disagree though predictions easy to make, it's getting them right that's tough.

Broncos are more athletic at linebacker (doom), More physical, (Davis).

The TE look good, If Marshall gets going the WR are friggin insane. Only a few teams would be able to boast better.

So what we have our questions about:
1- Ayers/Moreno can the add anything this yr
2-Kupers injury
3-QB mediocrity
4-Some talent issues on defense.

Seems like we have decent kicking. IMO things aren't as dark as people think. It's overblown because we have had turmoil with Shanny being fired, and trading Cutler.

In fact I bet if Shanny were here and Cutler was out for the yr with an injury, they would not be picking us last.

BroncoMan4ever
09-09-2009, 01:48 AM

i honestly have loved this offseason. we dumped a lot of dead weight, have the team heading in a new direction, got rid of whiners and are looking like a much better team due to the changes. i can't wait to see it all play out this season, i think we are going to be a surprising team and be good.

DenverBroncosJM
09-09-2009, 08:47 AM
I want the team to win a lot of games this year I even shelled out my 300 bucks for Dirctv but...really in the grand scheme of things who cares my mortgage is still going to get paid I still have a job and my car has gas. Ill enjoy some broncos football and if we suck this year maybe we will be better next year.

I swear some of you guys have contracts with the Broncos and get paid based on how well they do this year.

TheReverend
09-09-2009, 09:04 AM
I very much agree with the original post and this thread.

That being said, the purpose of this message board in the off-season IS speculation. Also, it's not like those of us that are upset have no reason to be. I'd say the reasons for concern are pretty clear and reasonable.

kappys
09-09-2009, 10:07 AM
We have plenty of experts here who can predict the past.

As I've said ever since their 3rd seasons we should have drafted Ed Reed.:peace:

DrFate
09-09-2009, 10:25 AM
We play in the weakest AFC West in decades. There's no reason why this team can't be competitive.

Look at the rest of the schedule

Sure Oakland and KC suck, and SD is overrated. Sure 9 wins should win this division again. But look at the schedule.

gtown
09-09-2009, 10:46 AM

Sure Oakland and KC suck, and SD is overrated. Sure 9 wins should win this division again. But look at the schedule.

I think we can surprise some people. The AFC West is comprised of weak teams, including San Diego (there defense was crap last year). The NFC East is overrated, both Dallas and Washington have major question marks. And we will likely win a game that we aren't supposed to win just based on the nature of "any given Sunday."

Beantown Bronco
09-09-2009, 10:48 AM
And we will likely win a game that we aren't supposed to win just based on the nature of "any given Sunday."

Unless something crazy happens, the Broncos will likely be underdogs in all but 3 or 4 games this season.....so they're gonna have to do better than win just one of those games.

Ambiguous
09-09-2009, 10:52 AM

Just to further your pessimism, we split with KC and Oak last year too.

HEAV
09-09-2009, 11:06 AM
Oh sweet! I wasn't aware we drafted a QB in the first round. Or have a proven vet QB on the roster.
And I was under the crazy impression our D has been terrible the last few years.
My bad, idk how I missed that. We're capable of pulling off what those teams did after all!!!

The above is one of the posters I'm talking about.

They have already written the season off. I'm sure many Dolphins fans had written off the 2008 season. The team was coming off one win in 07, adjusting to a new headcoach and front office, switching offense, traded away the face of the defense Jason Taylor, they signed Pennington late in the preseason.

As far as proven vet Chad was coming off a down 2007 season fileld with injury and being benched. Many people (on here) and around the league felt Chad was on his way out of the NFL.

I'm saying the Broncos will do what the Dolphins, Ravens, Falcons did. I'm saying it's way way way too early and premature to assume the 2009 season is set in stone as a failure.

Would anyone have guessed the Cardinals playing for the Super Bowl last summer?

Would anyone have thought that the Pats would lose Brady and still get double digit wins, but still not make the playoff's?

My point is this. "Let the season play out" Be a ****ing fan and sit back and see if this team can gel and play at a winning level. Stop the bullcrap, stop trying to be the one thousandth poster to say "I told you so". Stop trying to be Nostradamus and have this team and coach buried before kick-off of week one.

Be a fan.

If you hate the current team that much well maybe you should step back and take a break.

Because in the end, as a fan, we can only control ourselves and not the team. You can choose to not watch, pay for merch, buy tickets and support the team.

My final statement is anything can happen and I'm just going to sit back and watch and see what that will be.

DrFate
09-09-2009, 11:11 AM
Just to further your pessimism, we split with KC and Oak last year too.

We can split with them this year, too.

Even if we start 3-0 (which is possible) - I still say 6 wins.

lex
09-09-2009, 11:15 AM

They have already written the season off. I'm sure many Dolphins fans had written off the 2008 season. The team was coming off one win in 07, adjusting to a new headcoach and front office, switching offense, traded away the face of the defense Jason Taylor, they signed Pennington late in the preseason.

As far as proven vet Chad was coming off a down 2007 season fileld with injury and being benched. Many people (on here) and around the league felt Chad was on his way out of the NFL.

I'm saying the Broncos will do what the Dolphins, Ravens, Falcons did. I'm saying it's way way way too early and premature to assume the 2009 season is set in stone as a failure.

Would anyone have guessed the Cardinals playing for the Super Bowl last summer?

Would anyone have thought that the Pats would lose Brady and still get double digit wins, but still not make the playoff's?

My point is this. "Let the season play out" Be a ****ing fan and sit back and see if this team can gel and play at a winning level. Stop the bullcrap, stop trying to be the one thousandth poster to say "I told you so". Stop trying to be Nostradamus and have this team and coach buried before kick-off of week one.

Be a fan.

Nice, another attempt to impose their own belief of what a fan is on everyone else.

If you hate the current team that much well maybe you should step back and take a break.

Because in the end, as a fan, we can only control ourselves and not the team. You can choose to not watch, pay for merch, buy tickets and support the team.

Thanks for that help. Do people really need to be told this?

My final statement is anything can happen and I'm just going to sit back and watch and see what that will be.
I thought you said people should take a break.

McMastermind
09-09-2009, 11:17 AM

NFCE will be down this year....As will Indy.

Shouldn't be too much to expect 4-2 vs. AFCW, 2-2 vs. NFCE, 2-0 vs. Ohio, 2-2 vs. Indy, Balt, NE, Pitt.

Rock Chalk
09-09-2009, 01:27 PM
"It is difficult to make predictions, especially about the future"

I totally agree.

Making predictions about the past is much easier.

LOL

That's the first thing I noticed.

Rock Chalk
09-09-2009, 01:29 PM
Unless something crazy happens, the Broncos will likely be underdogs in all but 3 or 4 games this season.....so they're gonna have to do better than win just one of those games.

Maybe.

But thats if you put the betting down right now.

What if we make it through the New England game undefeated.

How many games after that point will we still be underdogs?

None of those games are unwinnable so its not like something "crazy" happened. Some of them will be tough, but they are all winnable.

TheReverend
09-09-2009, 01:33 PM
Maybe.

But thats if you put the betting down right now.

What if we make it through the New England game undefeated.

How many games after that point will we still be underdogs?

None of those games are unwinnable so its not like something "crazy" happened. Some of them will be tough, but they are all winnable.

Well, of course. Every game in the NFL winnable. AND every game in the NFL is tough.

My concern is that every off-season teams move forward. You can't afford to take a small step back, because anything other than moving forward puts you in the cellar in the blink of an eye.

Rock Chalk
09-09-2009, 01:53 PM
Well, of course. Every game in the NFL winnable. AND every game in the NFL is tough.

My concern is that every off-season teams move forward. You can't afford to take a small step back, because anything other than moving forward puts you in the cellar in the blink of an eye.

Not every team on our schedule has moved forward. Some have kept even keel and some have went backwards....some of those significantly.

TheReverend
09-09-2009, 01:59 PM
Not every team on our schedule has moved forward. Some have kept even keel and some have went backwards....some of those significantly.

Cleveland and Washington, I totally agree in Clevelands case, jumped back and Washington, no significant forward movement. As for the others... we have a difference of opinion on the other 11 teams.

TailgateNut
09-09-2009, 02:07 PM
...and we moved forward by outing a stagnant coach and ridding ourselves of an unhappy crybaby.
We all knew prior to those occurances that this seasons schedule was brutal, so if we do as well as the ShannyJay experiment would've done (and I'll act like the OM tarot card readers(Rev, Lex, jhns) by predicting 6-8 wins), then there shouldn't be any more bitching and moaning by the Jay Nuthuggers, correct?

DHallblows
09-09-2009, 02:14 PM
No, you just have reading comprehension problems

For seasoned vet I meant more of Kurt not Chad. But the NFL's all time leader in ANY positive stat is still the NFL's all time leader in a positive stat (completion %)
...which is not a QB we possess

Be a fan.

Thank you for ensuring I know the proper way of being a fan. Otherwise I'd have assumed being an ass like Rasta was correct.
You should have read post #10 before you made such ignorant remarks

TheReverend
09-09-2009, 02:22 PM
...and we moved forward by outing a stagnant coach and ridding ourselves of an unhappy crybaby.
We all knew prior to those occurances that this seasons schedule was brutal, so if we do as well as the ShannyJay experiment would've done (and I'll act like the OM tarot card readers(Rev, Lex, jhns) by predicting 6-8 wins), then there shouldn't be any more b****ing and moaning by the Jay Nuthuggers, correct?

If the team manages 6 wins, I'll be impressed. In fact, I'll just be impressed if Orton starts all season and plays well.

lex
09-09-2009, 02:27 PM
We all knew prior to those occurances that this seasons schedule was brutal, so if we do as well as the ShannyJay experiment would've done (and I'll act like the OM tarot card readers(Rev, Lex, jhns) by predicting 6-8 wins), then there shouldn't be any more b****ing and moaning by the Jay Nuthuggers, correct?

TailgateOvary, its not surprising that you would come up short on reading comprehension. I havent predicted a number of wins. Ive only said that I expect to win 10 games, which isnt a prediction and is well over 4-6 (in case thats why you were confused).

TotallyScrewed
09-09-2009, 03:03 PM
I want the team to win a lot of games this year I even shelled out my 300 bucks for Dirctv but...really in the grand scheme of things who cares my mortgage is still going to get paid I still have a job and my car has gas. Ill enjoy some broncos football and if we suck this year maybe we will be better next year.

I swear some of you guys have contracts with the Broncos and get paid based on how well they do this year.

See here's my problem...

I DO CARE.

TotallyScrewed
09-09-2009, 03:06 PM
If the team manages 6 wins, I'll be impressed. In fact, I'll just be impressed if Orton starts all season and plays well.

QFT

...and my expectation is less than what will impress me, just to be absolutely clear.

TailgateNut
09-09-2009, 07:05 PM
TailgateOvary, its not surprising that you would come up short on reading comprehension. I havent predicted a number of wins. Ive only said that I expect to win 10 games, which isnt a prediction and is well over 4-6 (in case thats why you were confused).

What the **** happened to the ignore function. Why am I seeing posts from the board bitch???

WTF

TheReverend
09-09-2009, 07:18 PM
What the **** happened to the ignore function. Why am I seeing posts from the board b****???

WTF

Because that was lex not tsiguy

TailgateNut
09-09-2009, 07:19 PM
Because that was lex not tsiguy

STFU Sword swallower!

TheReverend
09-09-2009, 07:29 PM
STFU Sword swallower!

http://img75.imageshack.us/img75/279/a0gl1l.jpg

Rock Chalk
09-09-2009, 07:36 PM
Cleveland and Washington, I totally agree in Clevelands case, jumped back and Washington, no significant forward movement. As for the others... we have a difference of opinion on the other 11 teams.

Philly took a step back dude.

That defense is going to pay the price of Jim Johnson dying over the offseason (RIP) and they still ahve no one for McNabb to throw to outside of DeSean Jackson.

Cincy isnt going anywhere.

KC damn sure went backwards, if thats possible.

Oakland hasn't moved forward.

SD hasnt done anything to impress me. Merriman played in one game last season, IM positive that dude isnt going to return to his all world roid raged self.

New England is better because Brady is back, assuming he is OK.

Pittsburgh is even keel, hasnt really "improved" but hasnt gotten any worse.

Indy will probably be better since they start the season with a healthy Manning this year.

Be the debbie downer, but we play in the worst division in football and quite frankly, we can win it.

TheReverend
09-09-2009, 07:41 PM
Philly took a step back dude.

That defense is going to pay the price of Jim Johnson dying over the offseason (RIP) and they still ahve no one for McNabb to throw to outside of DeSean Jackson.

...and I stopped reading.

The new DC spent a decade working with JJ, they improved at S by having Demps step in for Dawk, and some young LBs have more experience under their belt.

Their O-line improved 20 fold, they drafted Maclin in the first, and McCoy's looked great as a compliment to Westbrook.

Honestly, where in the blue hell was there any logic towards you claiming Philly, of all teams, stepped back?

Rock Chalk
09-09-2009, 07:42 PM
...and I stopped reading.

The new DC spent a decade working with JJ, they improved at S by having Demps step in for Dawk, and some young LBs have more experience under their belt.

Their O-line improved 20 fold, they drafted Maclin in the first, and McCoy's looked great as a compliment to Westbrook.

Honestly, where in the blue hell was there any logic towards you claiming Philly, of all teams, stepped back?

Maclin....HAHAHA.

Good job.

Philly will not be as good this year, want to bet on it?

PS
Also, Dennison spent a long time under Gibbs but it still took him about 3 years of being the man on the O-line to get the kinks worked out.

TheReverend
09-09-2009, 07:45 PM
Maclin....HAHAHA.

Good job.

Philly will not be as good this year, want to bet on it?

PS
Also, Dennison spent a long time under Gibbs but it still took him about 3 years of being the man on the O-line to get the kinks worked out.

Sure, no problem.

DeSean, Kevin Curtis healthy again, Maclin, Avant...

Without Marshall their receiving group is better than ours.

HEAV
10-11-2009, 10:02 PM
Fans should just sitback and let the season play out. Maybe we all will be surprised with what happens.

hmmmmmmmmmm

Bronx33
10-11-2009, 10:04 PM
check these predictions out...
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ms-thegameface090409&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Kansas City Chiefs: Was this a misprint? Nope – it was a comment on the shaky state of the AFC West (the Broncos and Raiders are messes) and a warning to the Chargers that the whole coast-until-you-need-to-turn-it-on thing won’t work three years in a row. The Chiefs, despite their 2-14 record last season, were more dangerous than people realized by December and will benefit from new coach Todd Haley’s shrewd game-planning and new general manager Scott Pioli’s grasp of personnel. They’re my pick to prevail in football’s weakest division.

DHallblows
10-11-2009, 10:52 PM
Mmmmm, still happy with my remarks in this thread...