PDA

View Full Version : DP Goodman Article

Zoobie
09-08-2009, 07:01 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_13288340

It's a wired world, a tweet-filled place overflowing with Facebook friends and infinite MySpace spaces, it seems.

Andre Goodman knows this, for he spends his days surrounded by the young(er) and restless texters, thumb typing almost as much as they speak. And he's OK with that. Just don't ask him to log in.

"I still put pen to paper," Goodman said. "To me, I like to do things a certain way. If it works for me, I do it. And when I have something I want to remember, a thought or two to get out, I always write it down. I don't like to type. I don't know how people still use their phones to put dates in; to this day I still have a (day) planner I walk around with. I'm always writing in it. People see it and they think I'm crazy."

Crazy? No, Goodman is a measured thinker, a calm exterior wrapped around the internal fire and brimstone of a comeback story.

Which is exactly why the eight-year cornerback now finds himself in the position former Broncos cornerback Dre Bly once called "the most popular place on the field and it ain't gonna change until those guys look out and see something different."

Popular to opposing quarterbacks because Goodman plays right cornerback, just as Bly did before him, just as Darrent Williams did before that. And the right cornerback is not the left cornerback in the Broncos' defense.

The right cornerback is not Champ Bailey.

"You know I've never been that guy, the guy. I've always been the other guy," Goodman said. "So I have kind of an all odds stacked against me mentality. That's how my career has been built."

And with the Broncos set to open their season Sunday at Cincinnati with a healthy Carson Palmer at quarterback for the Bengals, Goodman figures to begin a week-to-week march of wearing the target.

Because even as some personnel executives across the NFL believe Bailey has begun to gamble a little more here and there to get more involved, which has brought some occasional challenges from opposing quarterbacks like San Diego's Philip Rivers who may not have tried before, Goodman will still get far more action.

Consider that last season, before he suffered a hamstring injury in Week 7 against New England that cratered his season, Bailey was virtually ignored in the first six games, including two games against the Buccaneers and Jaguars when no passes were even attempted to where Bailey was in coverage.

Bailey had a career-high 10 interceptions in 2006, roughly a third of the passes that were directed his way that year. Last year, former Broncos coach Mike Shanahan addressed the question with the face of a man who had a burning tire outside his office door.

"You can throw at a Hall of Famer or another player," he said with a grimace. "One is the smart play, one isn't so smart. You don't have to be a genius there."

"You know that," Bly said. "You've got to compete, you know. Don't take the job if you don't want to compete, you won't survive."

"The challenge is you know you're going to get a lot of work," Goodman said. "I knew what I was getting into, I knew what it was going to be like playing across from Champ. You know the majority of balls were going to come my way. You have to see opportunity in that. The challenge is motivating."

Goodman, if he's about anything, is about challenges. Early in his freshman season at South Carolina, his football career was thought to be over when Georgia tight end Jermaine Wiggins crashed into Goodman's right knee, tearing all the major ligaments.

Goodman was initially told he might never walk again without a limp, but he eventually returned to the field midway through his sophomore year. There's an 8-inch scar to remember it all as well as the poems he wrote as part of his recovery, one of which he laminated and kept in his locker for the remainder of his college career.

"If there was one significant moment in my life that I go back to, it's probably that moment," Goodman said. "I learned a lot about myself in terms of being able to push through adversity. At that point in time, it was easily the worst thing that had happened to me. I think you can kind of go either way there. You can either give up when someone tells you that it's probably it for you because it's going to be tough to come back from that kind of injury, or do you say, 'I want to know what I could be?'

"I think because I took the latter, it kind of shaped my life. Nothing can ever get in my way in terms of adversity nothing can stop me."

The Broncos offered a $25 million contract to put him across from Bailey.

"Even now, when it might seem like things are going OK for me, I never allow myself to think that way, to get comfortable," Goodman said. "It allows you to work just as hard now as you did on Day One. . . . I think I'm fast, I think I'm pretty quick, I've got pretty good hips, I've got pretty good feet, but that's stuff that was just given to me.

"The rest of it, recognizing route concepts, playing against offenses, those are the things I had to work on. And when I come to work, I know I'm coming to work with a purpose."

I love his attitude, his work ethic, and here's to hoping he can have a good career here in Denver.

BroncoBuff
09-08-2009, 07:13 PM
Thanks, Newbie Zoobie ;D

listopencil
09-08-2009, 07:16 PM
Goodman, if he's about anything, is about challenges. Early in his freshman season at South Carolina, his football career was thought to be over when Georgia tight end Jermaine Wiggins crashed into Goodman's right knee, tearing all the major ligaments.

Goodman was initially told he might never walk again without a limp, but he eventually returned to the field midway through his sophomore year. There's an 8-inch scar to remember it all — as well as the poems he wrote as part of his recovery, one of which he laminated and kept in his locker for the remainder of his college career.

"If there was one significant moment in my life that I go back to, it's probably that moment," Goodman said. "I learned a lot about myself in terms of being able to push through adversity. At that point in time, it was easily the worst thing that had happened to me. I think you can kind of go either way there. You can either give up when someone tells you that it's probably it for you because it's going to be tough to come back from that kind of injury, or do you say, 'I want to know what I could be?'

"I think because I took the latter, it kind of shaped my life. Nothing can ever get in my way in terms of adversity nothing can stop me."

I didn't know that. That's a very inspiring story.

Los Broncos
09-08-2009, 07:18 PM
Well at least he wont get carpal tunnel, good article.

Ironlung
09-08-2009, 07:22 PM
McD signed him so....he sucks.

Clockwork Orange
09-08-2009, 07:27 PM

Five posts in and it begins. As entertaining as it once was to read the bouts between warring factions around here, every thread getting hijacked (and both sides are guilty of this) is getting boring and predictable.

FireFly
09-08-2009, 07:28 PM
Goodman > Bly IMO

Bailey < what most people think at this point :( -- which is why we drafted Smith. I'm on to something here...

Long story short, we're ok at CB this year. Not great, but ok. Good enough that we certainly can't consider it a weakness, but not good enough to be considered amongst the best in the league.

listopencil
09-08-2009, 07:29 PM

Cutler is probably wishing our D was as good last year as it is this year.

Zoobie
09-08-2009, 07:49 PM
Thanks, Newbie Zoobie ;D

You're welcome.

Ironlung
09-08-2009, 08:33 PM
Cutler is probably wishing our D was as good last year as it is this year.

It was sarcastic. I love the upgrade opposite Champ.

hambone13
09-08-2009, 08:41 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_13288340

I love his attitude, his work ethic, and here's to hoping he can have a good career here in Denver.

At what point to we not address that the great part of our secondary, Champ and Dawkins are looking for a ring.......

Don't get me wrong...I couldn't be more proud seeing Champ make an open field tackle on a running back but seriously...he has to be think'n "**** this".....

Rock Chalk
09-08-2009, 09:31 PM
Five posts in and it begins. As entertaining as it once was to read the bouts between warring factions around here, every thread getting hijacked (and both sides are guilty of this) is getting boring and predictable.

****ing Clockwork.

Where you been?

Clockwork Orange
09-08-2009, 09:33 PM
****ing Clockwork.

Where you been?

I decided to spend the offseason under an actual rock. What'd I miss?

Rock Chalk
09-08-2009, 09:37 PM
I decided to spend the offseason under an actual rock. What'd I miss?

Haha,

I thought you went the way of Tred, Nuggets and Slap and decided to bounce on the mane for good.

As for as what you missed, same ****, different season. Half the mane with their head up their ass, the other half looking for their head.

Clockwork Orange
09-08-2009, 09:41 PM
Nah, I never left for good, just take extended breaks. I still drop in from time to time.

Florida_Bronco
09-08-2009, 10:17 PM

Amen!

And welcome back! We missed you around. :thumbs:

24champ
09-08-2009, 10:21 PM
Nah, I never left for good, just take extended breaks. I still drop in from time to time.

Hey buddy, Avalanche are looking up to the Kings these days. Hope you can get used to it! ;D

Clockwork Orange
09-08-2009, 10:44 PM
Hey buddy, Avalanche are looking up to the Kings these days. Hope you can get used to it! ;D

Hey, the Avs will be right back there battling it out with L.A. for the 8th spot before you know it. ;D

I do have to say that other than the Avs selecting Matt Duchene, my favorite draft moment was the look on Brian Burke's face when L.A. took Brayden Schenn. Made my night to see that prick pout like a 5 year old. :)

24champ
09-08-2009, 11:12 PM
Hey, the Avs will be right back there battling it out with L.A. for the 8th spot before you know it. ;D

I do have to say that other than the Avs selecting Matt Duchene, my favorite draft moment was the look on Brian Burke's face when L.A. took Brayden Schenn. Made my night to see that prick pout like a 5 year old. :)

Serves the prick right. ROFL!

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zDkvuuBtf8M&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zDkvuuBtf8M&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

BroncoMan4ever
09-09-2009, 12:49 AM
Goodman > Bly IMO

Bailey < what most people think at this point :( -- which is why we drafted Smith. I'm on to something here...

Long story short, we're ok at CB this year. Not great, but ok. Good enough that we certainly can't consider it a weakness, but not good enough to be considered amongst the best in the league.

i'm not ready to say Champ has lost a few steps. i think with the front 7 getting consistent pressure, he won't have to worry so much about the run and pass and just play his position. he won't have to be another LB saving the defense constantly, he can just do his job, and that will put him in line to return to the form he was at before our defense went to ****.

Florida_Bronco
09-09-2009, 02:45 AM
i'm not ready to say Champ has lost a few steps. i think with the front 7 getting consistent pressure, he won't have to worry so much about the run and pass and just play his position. he won't have to be another LB saving the defense constantly, he can just do his job, and that will put him in line to return to the form he was at before our defense went to ****.

I don't think Champ has really lost a step either. Teams were flat out avoiding him last year.

BroncoMan4ever
09-09-2009, 03:06 AM
I don't think Champ has really lost a step either. Teams were flat out avoiding him last year.

exactly, plus the past couple seasons where his stats seemingly have gone down, he has been having to do a lot more than just cover his side of the field. he is having to watch out for a run because our front 7 couldn't tackle, and passes to the opposite side of the field because once a ball was caught he ended up being the final line of defense for us. he was covering everyone else's ass and because of that his numbers went down. but now that he can get back to doing his job only his attention doesn't need to be spread everywhere and i believe we will see a return to form by him.

DivineLegion
09-09-2009, 03:53 AM
He's my sleeper pick and im sticking to it.

He and Renaldo Hill have great Chemistry after covering the same side of the field together last season. We got them as a pair for a reason...

My best Friend is a die-hard Dolphins fan, and I get the low down every week on how well they are progressing. I can tell after watching quite a few Dolphins games last season (especially late) that Andre Goodman can really make some plays. He has a knack for getting his hands on balls. Not necessarily interceptions but pass deflections. He doesn't gamble very often, he's a smart football player who takes calculated risks. Opposite Champ expect too see a lot of coverage sacks (a lot like preseason) because Goodman is going to bait many quarterbacks into making throws hes a solid fundamentals guy.

Thats my ten cents...

Edit:

Negatives so the homer police don't jump all over my jock...

He's not very fast, the Seattle game is a perfect example of this. He's not going to match up well with quick smaller receiver's, this is where I am hoping Smith can step in for support. I am hoping that Mike Nolan will recognize his D's weaknesses and plan accordingly as we progress through the season using different corners for different match ups (something Slowdick never picked up on). To be honest I don't know what we are going to against Cincy with Chad Ochocinco and Chris Henry, we don't have corners outside of champ with the size speed combination to match up with these two. Lavernius Coles I'm not worried about, being a willy veteran will net him a few grabs, but I think that Smith can handle him fairly well. Should be an intresting game, we are going to need some serious pressure from our front 7 to pull this one off...heres to Football Season!!!