PDA

View Full Version : Finally some sanity ... Kiszla favors Simms

BroncoBuff
09-08-2009, 11:56 AM
Seems strange it took this long for somebody to mention the obvious - Simms has proven he's a better quarterback that Orton.

Kiszla: Simms a better choice at Cincy
By Mark Kiszla
The Denver Post

You think the Broncos have dealt with too much melodrama at quarterback? It has only just begun.

Do you know who the team's starting quarterback will be when Denver opens the regular season? Josh McDaniels cannot be absolutely, 100 percent positive about the answer to that crucial question as he awakens this morning, only five days before the first game that counts on his record as an NFL coach.

With the spy-versus-spy secrecy the Broncos give to injuries, believe anything you hear this week regarding the health of the QBs at your own risk.

When last I saw him, Kyle Orton was lounging in the press box at a football stadium in Denver, with his feet propped on a chair while he nursed a busted throwing hand as teammates played their final preseason game. He looked more ready to order a pizza than strap on a helmet.

Is this the quarterback whom McDaniels really wants to trust to lead his team in the season opener at Cincinnati, where the Broncos have been established as 4 1/2-point underdogs? Just say no, Kid McD.

At 100 percent efficiency, Orton is a mediocre NFL quarterback.

The Broncos might well have a better chance to win with a quarterback who hasn't thrown a touchdown pass in the league since 2006.

Go ahead, call me crazy in an upper extremity. But if there's any way Chris Simms can jog to the Denver huddle on his gimpy ankle, I say he would be a better choice to start than Orton, who looked unprepared for the job before suffering an injury that could adversely affect his every pass.

More: http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_13288338

lex
09-08-2009, 11:59 AM
Klis and Kiszla are totally different guys.

Anyway, this issue isnt going to go away any time soon unless Orton, a) plays and b) delivers.

BlaK-Argentina
09-08-2009, 12:02 PM
I don't care who starts as long as he plays well and gets a W. If that's Orton and we run 50 times, fine. If not, start Simms, or start Brandstater. Who cares! It's not about who's you're favorite guy, but who gives us the best chance to win.
I'm sure McD will make the right decision. He won't **** up his first game.

BroncoBuff
09-08-2009, 12:06 PM
Klis and Kiszla are totally different guys.

Anyway, this issue isnt going to go away any time soon unless Orton, a) plays and b) delivers.

You're right, sorry ... ::)

I'm thinking Orton's injury is worse that they're letting on, that's a nasty injury for a QB. You can't just wrap up a throwing hand in a big ball of tape like Brian Dawkins.

Hopefully Simms gets the first couple weeks ... that way my pimping will be put to the test and I can shut up about it :pimp:

PRBronco
09-08-2009, 12:07 PM
I can't tell the two writers apart either...

I like how the basis for his article is that Orton was sitting with his feet on a chair watching the game, and thus is unprepared to play quarterback.

Karenin
09-08-2009, 12:09 PM
wipe your face.

Rohirrim
09-08-2009, 12:11 PM
I have yet to see Simms look better than Orton. Brandstater looked better than the both of them, but that was in game four of a preseason. None of them get me very excited, frankly. McD should have gone up to Boulder on Friday and shanghied Sanchez.

BroncoBuff
09-08-2009, 12:11 PM
I like how the basis for his article is that Orton was sitting with his feet on a chair watching the game, and thus is unprepared to play quarterback.

Yeah, that was BS. But the overall point is true. No matter how much Koolaid you gulp down, the fact is Orton has looked pretty bad. The only stretches he's been efficient were in the baby-steps training wheel offense.

Simms on the other hand was scrambling all over, throwing deep, produced scores on 3 of his 4 drives against SF. Simms has earned it I think.

lex
09-08-2009, 12:12 PM

I'm thinking Orton's injury is worse that they're letting on, that's a nasty injury for a QB. You can't just wrap up a throwing hand in a big ball of tape like Brian Dawkins.

Hopefully Simms gets the first couple weeks ... that way my pimping will be put to the test and I can shut up about it :pimp:

Yeah, I kind of hope so too because I have a feeling McDaniels is going to be stubborn about playing Orton even if/when he's not getting it done. If Simms gets to play, we'll have a basis for comparison.

BroncoBuff
09-08-2009, 12:12 PM
I have yet to see Simms look better than Orton.
That's hilarious ... you either, a) missed the 49ers game, or b) you were distracted or something.

*EDIT* Here you go Roh, since you obviously missed the SF game:

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/5189/78929405.png

Would've been even better had McKinley not dropped an easy 1st down catch - on the ONLY Simms drive that didn't end in a score.

So you still "have yet to see Simms look better than Orton"? :~ohyah!:

lex
09-08-2009, 12:15 PM
wipe your face.

Karen, that's no way for a lady to talk.

Tombstone RJ
09-08-2009, 12:18 PM
Simms needs to start this game. No way Orton and his finger are ready. Orton's been done in by the fickle finger of fate and if Simms wants to resurrect his career, nows the time.

PRBronco
09-08-2009, 12:20 PM
I was under the impression that Simms was running an even more dumbed down offense because he was with #2s, was that not the case?

BroncoBuff
09-08-2009, 12:22 PM
I was under the impression that Simms was running an even more dumbed down offense because he was with #2s, was that not the case?

That was the excuse Orton-backers gave when Simms wiped up the field with him :~ohyah!:

Truth is there's just one game plan, they don't give second stringers a different plan ... also, preseason games are generally VERY dumbed down anyway ... which makes Orton's many INTs even more worrisome and baffling.

Natedogg
09-08-2009, 12:24 PM
For what its worth, the TC reporters (Buff was one) consistently said Orton was better than Simms. I only made it to TC one day (near the end of TC) and Orton looked sever orders of magnitude better than Simms. Simms was late on almost every throw.

He did have a stronger arm, but his touch and accuracy sucked.

Also mistaking Klis for Kizla is a huge offense to Klis. Klis is a good, level-handed beat reporter. Kizla hates the Broncos more than Wolf175****hole and Lex.

lex
09-08-2009, 12:27 PM
For what its worth, the TC reporterss (Buff was one) consistantly said Orton was better than Simms. I only made it to TC one day (near the end of TC) and Orton looked sever orders of magnitude better than Simms. Simms was late on almost every throw.

Also mistaking Klis for Kizla is a huge offense to Klis. Klis is a good, level-handed beat reporter. Kizla hates the Broncos more than Wolf175****hole and Lex.

Klis is a sycophant.

Dagmar
09-08-2009, 12:28 PM
That's hilarious ... you either, a) missed the 49ers game, or b) you were distracted or something.

Would've been even better had McKinley not dropped an easy 1st down catch - on the ONLY Simms drive that didn't end in a score.

You are like a broken record! We know! Man love for Simms etc...!

Natedogg
09-08-2009, 12:31 PM
Klis is a sycophant.

Give one example.

bronco militia
09-08-2009, 12:35 PM
http://pic16.picturetrail.com/VOL637/2498345/22431097/373369043.jpg

BroncoBuff
09-08-2009, 12:36 PM
For what its worth, the TC reporterss (Buff was one) consistantly said Orton was better than Simms. I only made it to TC one day (near the end of TC) and Orton looked sever orders of magnitude better than Simms. Simms was late on almost every throw.

Truth is, as a reporter I was very concerned about separating my fan stuff from my objective reporting ... media is/was my profession, so I wanted to be proper there, and I think I was.

But in doing so, I listed Simms a couple times as "most disappointing player," which wasn't entirely true. Orton looked better, sure, with Royal, Hillis and Gaffney, but he also a lot of INTs, including a 99-yard pick-6 to JMFW to end the last practice before the Invesco Scrimmage (in which he threw TWO MORE picks!)

Aside from that though ... it's funny how everybody uses the alibi, "Orton looked better in practice." PRACTICE?!

Did you see the games? The Invesco scrimmage? I'm sorry, but Orton has sucked all over the field every time out. Even the Seattle game, in which he did complete a very high percentage of (mostly very low risk) passes, even then he threw TWO red zone picks (though one was dropped). Yes, he also had two red zone TD passes, (though one was dropped). I just don't like a 50-50 red zone TD-INT ratio. All that's without even mentioning the 3-Int half against SF. He was okay vs. the Bears, but he produced just THREE points? That's not good enough.

Fair enough ...;D

SoonerBronco
09-08-2009, 12:37 PM
For what its worth, the TC reporters (Buff was one) consistently said Orton was better than Simms. I only made it to TC one day (near the end of TC) and Orton looked sever orders of magnitude better than Simms. Simms was late on almost every throw.

Some folks have better games than practices...just sayin...

BroncoBuff
09-08-2009, 12:38 PM
You are like a broken record! We know! Man love for Simms etc...!

I know, I know, that's true.

But it's like the Twilight Zone, nobody sees it. Just read Rohirrim's post above, "I haven't seen Simms look better than Orton" ...WTF is that?!

lex
09-08-2009, 12:43 PM
Give one example.

His stuff often looks like its approved by the Broncos front office. More recently, he did a piece representing Bowlens postition of kvetching about the labor agreement. He addressed the issue of Bowlen being broke by letting Bowlen deny it and blindly accepting that as gospel. He's been Bowlen's mouthpiece lately.

PRBronco
09-08-2009, 12:48 PM
His stuff often looks like its approved by the Broncos front office. More recently, he did a piece representing Bowlens postition of kvetching about the labor agreement. He addressed the issue of Bowlen being broke by letting Bowlen deny it and blindly accepting that as gospel. He's been Bowlen's mouthpiece lately.

sycophant? kvetching? You're killing me today!

orange skier
09-08-2009, 12:48 PM
Per McBuffster:

Did you see the games? The Invesco scrimmage? I'm sorry, but Orton has sucked all over the field every time out. Even the Seattle game, in which he did complete a very high percentage of (mostly very low risk) passes, even then he threw TWO red zone picks (though one was dropped). Yes, he also had two red zone TD passes, (though one was dropped). I just don't like a 50-50 red zone TD-INT ratio. All that's without even mentioning the 3-Int half against SF. He was okay vs. the Bears, but he produced just THREE points? That's not good enough.

Per Orange Skier:

When Orton was on the field for us, the other team consistently stacked "the box" with 10 defensive players..........the secret is out.....Orton can't throw to the left, and he can't throw long..........he's an interim answer.......not a long term answer.........so............how about we start our Rookie, and let him figure it out........Simms and Ordinary Orton.....not the answer..............Rookie.....possible answer.........

BroncoBuff
09-08-2009, 12:49 PM
Orton's preseason:

6 1/2 quarters = 13 points ... hello? ???
6 1/2 quarters = 1 td pass, 4 int

Simms' preseason:

2 1/2 quarters = 16 points
2 1/2 quarters = 2 td 0 int

Rohirrim
09-08-2009, 12:52 PM
I know, I know, that's true.

But it's like the Twilight Zone, nobody sees it. Just read Rohirrim's post above, "I haven't seen Simms look better than Orton" ...WTF is that?!

Doesn't take much to get your skirt all aflutter, does it? No. I haven't seen Simms look better than Orton. Both of them aren't very good. Forgive me if I don't give a **** about preseason stats.

Natedogg
09-08-2009, 12:53 PM
Truth is, as a reporter I was very concerned about separating my fan stuff from my objective reporting ... media is/was my profession, so I wanted to be proper there, and I think I was.

But in doing so, I listed Simms a couple times as "most disappointing player," which wasn't entirely true. Orton looked better, sure, with Royal, Hillis and Gaffney, but he also a lot of INTs, including a 99-yard pick-6 to JMFW to end the last practice before the Invesco Scrimmage (in which he threw TWO MORE picks!)

Aside from that though ... it's funny how everybody uses the alibi, "Orton looked better in practice." PRACTICE?!

Fair enough ...;D

I think we are going to have to agree to disagree. You seem to put your stock in Simm's 2009 preseason. Where I like Orton because of his time with Chicago. I think its very possible his 3 turnover preseason game was an anomaly. That said, on Sun I'd rather have Jay Cutler, John Elway, or even Jake Plumber (stir the pot) starting. I still like McD as coach.

That said, I am very concerned about Orton's finger. Never heard of another NFL QB with that type of injury. If Orton is not close to 100 percent, true a healthy Simms is a better QB.

Bronco Boy
09-08-2009, 01:01 PM
Orton's preseason:

6 1/2 quarters = 13 points ... hello? ???
6 1/2 quarters = 1 td pass, 4 int

Simms' preseason:

2 1/2 quarters = 16 points
2 1/2 quarters = 2 td 0 int

Those sample sizes are way too small. Besides, comparing preseason stats is rediculous.

BroncoBuff
09-08-2009, 01:04 PM
Those sample sizes are way too small. Besides, comparing preseason stats is rediculous.

What else do WE have to go on?

No, this is not an opinion thing. That Simms has looked better than Orton is a statement of fact.

Doesn't take much to get your skirt all aflutter, does it? No. I haven't seen Simms look better than Orton. Both of them aren't very good. Forgive me if I don't give a **** about preseason stats.

Well, Simms has definitely looked better in preseason, objectively, factually, regardless what you've seen. I suppose Simms' small sample size might raise questions, but Orton's larger sample size answers lots of questions too.

Besides, what does anybody have to go on other than preseason? By that logic nobody has looked better than anybody else ???

Bronco Boy
09-08-2009, 01:05 PM
Well, Simms has definitely looked better in preseason, objectively, factually, regardless what you've seen. I suppose Simms' small sample size might raise questions, but Orton's larger sample size answers lots of questions too.

Besides, what does anybody have to go on other than preseason? By that logic nobody has looked better than anybody else ???

Well the coaches obviously have practice to go on, as well as the player's demonstration of understanding the system and what they are trying to do. Plus, success in prior seasons is obviously a factor.

Pseudofool
09-08-2009, 01:06 PM
Jesus Christ, the QB job is based on more than handful of preseason game snaps. It's not the QB who had the better preseason game performance, it's the QB who gives us the best chance to win going forward. Those aren't necessarily the same QB.

Two and half quarters of play shouldn't earn anyone anything. That fact that anyone could make a QB decision off of such a small sample size is plain stupid.

Simms production came after many of the starters on the defensive side had left the game. He's been injured longer than Orton, so he's worked with the first team even less. That said, if Orton isn't ready to go, the obvious choice is Simms.

Natedogg
09-08-2009, 01:07 PM

...Assuming that McD was actually testing both QBs. Honestly, the playcalling looked too vanilla to really see who was the better player (maybe as opposed to TC).

Also I think there is a point to be made that Simms racked up yards and TDs against 2nd and 3rd team players and easier schemes.

As an aside, why have you always had a mancrush on him? Because he whooped CU's ass while at Texas?

Rohirrim
09-08-2009, 01:15 PM
What else do WE have to go on?

No, this is not an opinion thing. That Simms has looked better than Orton is a statement of fact.

Well, at least Simms is keeping with his history in the NFL so far; The only way he gets the starting nod is if the guy ahead of him can't play. ;D

Old Dude
09-08-2009, 01:17 PM
Maybe Simms will prove to be the better guy, but I can't put much stock in the preseason games.

Most of Simms' time came in the second half of the 49ers game. He was primarily going against the 49ers second unit. One of the reasons he was so effective, is that Denver was able to run the ball far more effectively against that unit.

Specifically...

Hillis: 10 carries for 49 yards (avg 4.9 ypc)
Walker: 4 carries for 19 yards. (avg 4.7 ypc)

But the RBs with Orton in that game, facing SF's 1st string defense, carried the ball 14 times for a total of 40 yards. That's not even 3 ypc.

And, according to every commentator I heard, Simms was, in fact, running a much simpler offensive set in the SF game than Orton. In Orton's first drive, for example, the team never lined up twice the same way.

Also, Simms biggest play of the game came during a broken play when he received a bad snap, fumbled it, scrambled out to his left and found McKinley wide freaking open for a 52 yard TD. I'm not going to take that play away from Simms, because it is a good example of his superior athleticism.

But it does not show that he has a better grasp of the system. Nor does any of this show that he would have been more effective than Orton against SFs first team D.

All that said, I've got a feeling that Simms may be the starter sooner than anyone thinks. He's a more passionate guy and the team just seems to get more excited when he's in there. It's a leadership factor that can't be drawn up on a board.

Simms has some of that. Even the rookie has a little of it. But I just don't sense it with Orton.

TheDave
09-08-2009, 01:25 PM
Unfortunately both are at best average QB's (and the rookie doesn't count yet)... Healthies one goes at this point.

...and from everything I can gather Simms is the healthiest.

Let's hope he is ready... :thumbs:

Inkana7
09-08-2009, 01:31 PM

Wow, a great performance against the SF backups. That's great.

Old Dude
09-08-2009, 01:33 PM
Latest report indicates that Simms is ready to play. Orton's status remains to be determined.

http://www.gazette.com/sports/simms-61616-broncos-englewood.html

BABronco
09-08-2009, 01:47 PM
Wow, a great performance against the SF backups. That's great.

Its a wash. He played with the denver back ups.

That One Guy
09-08-2009, 02:14 PM
Better QBs than Orton have had portions of their careers derailed by finger injuries (Favre and Warner come to mind). I haven't paid any attention to Simms but if Orton is out there trying to tough it out but isn't the most capable of winning, it'll be an ego move by the youngster. I don't expect to see Orton out there.

BroncoBuff
09-08-2009, 02:33 PM
I think my position on Simms is probably well known by now (more or less than my Kris Jenkins obsession? ;D)

All in favor I shut the f*** up about Chris Simms, say AYE!

PRBronco
09-08-2009, 02:35 PM
I think my position on Simms is probably well known by now (more or less than my Kris Jenkins obsession? ;D)

All in favor I shut the **** up about Chris Simms, say AYE!

Nothin wrong with a healthy man crush buff, let that flag fly!

lex
09-08-2009, 02:57 PM

But who says this is healthy?

Old Dude
09-08-2009, 03:02 PM
Sounds like Orton will start after all.

BroncoBuff
09-08-2009, 03:49 PM
If you insist ...

<marquee>http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/355/simmsblimp.png</marquee>

PRBronco
09-08-2009, 03:51 PM
If you insist ...

<marquee>http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/355/simmsblimp.png</marquee>

Hahahaha, how much time did you spend on that?

BroncoBuff
09-08-2009, 03:53 PM
Hahahaha, how much time did you spend on that?

It's just the marquee feature ... the pic I had from long ago, just pasted his face.

Hamrob
09-08-2009, 07:03 PM
I like Simms over Orton (period). That said, if he has a high ankle sprain and his mobility isn't 100%...don't expect much from him. He likes to move around in the pocket...that will be tough with a tweaked ankle.

FireFly
09-08-2009, 07:05 PM
I'd be happy with either QB - personally, going in to training camp I thought Simms would be better than Orton, and preseason seemed to show that, but reports from camp were to the contrary; so at this point I'm not going to be upset with either of them starting - things could be very different in 4-5 weeks.

Also, I'd rather the healthier of the two. Which ever is physically more ready to go

RhymesayersDU
09-08-2009, 07:48 PM
Brandstater or bust.

hambone13
09-08-2009, 08:07 PM

I wouldn't be opposed to Simm's starting the first couple of weeks but I thought there was a big, "All the Players Love Orton" factor to Orton's appeal? I'd be interested in seeing how the fragile, under-practiced, south-paw son of a self righteous former QB, is going to bring the team together.

I think Orton has a better chance of "willing" this mediocre lot of talent into "willing" some wins CSU style.

Clockwork Orange
09-08-2009, 08:20 PM
I think Orton has a better chance of "willing" this mediocre lot of talent into "willing" some wins CSU style.

You would honestly refer to the offense as a "mediocre lot of talent?" Marshall, Royal, Hillis, Moreno, Clady, Harris, Kuper, etc. is a "mediocre lot of talent?" Really?

And any team that needs Neckbeard to "will" them anywhere is already reserving their tee times for January.

BroncoBuff
09-08-2009, 08:58 PM
Also I think there is a point to be made that Simms racked up yards and TDs against 2nd and 3rd team players and easier schemes.
Again the schemes were almost certainly the same ... game plans are complicated and take time to install, the idea there was one game plan for the starters and another for the 2nd teamers just strains credulity.

And your argument about "he did it against 2nd teamers," I see that a lot.

Allow me to counter: With our starting O-line and skill position players, 13 points in 6 1/2 quarters is pathetic.

ScottXray
09-08-2009, 09:16 PM
Again the schemes were almost certainly the same ... game plans are complicated and take time to install, the idea there was one game plan for the starters and another for the 2nd teamers just strains credulity.

And your argument about "he did it against 2nd teamers," I see that a lot.

Allow me to counter: With our starting O-line and skill position players, 13 points in 6 1/2 quarters is pathetic.

Don't forget about the flag fest in game three. Seems the officials were out to illustrate a point. They will be watching Denvers O-line for holding, illegal downfield, etc, (all the while allowing blatant holding by our opponents O-lines).
Hope, we don't get Hoculi in the regular season much, as he seems to be trying to make up for the blown SD call in spades, to show that he gives us no favoritism.

On the other hand I hope he gets a lot of Chicago games. Eventually he'll figure out that THAT one benefitted too.

Irish Stout
09-08-2009, 09:47 PM
Regardless of the play Simms has always irrationally rubbed me the wrong way (eww don't touch me chris). I think Orton is like a smarter but weaker Plummer... I think if mcd can keep orton in line on his mistakes and ball control Orton is our best option now. Preseason is the time to make those mistakes, hopefully they're out of his system. All that being said: Tommy B for 2010-2011!

hambone13
09-08-2009, 10:09 PM
You would honestly refer to the offense as a "mediocre lot of talent?" Marshall, Royal, Hillis, Moreno, Clady, Harris, Kuper, etc. is a "mediocre lot of talent?" Really?

And any team that needs Neckbeard to "will" them anywhere is already reserving their tee times for January.

I was thinking more in terms of "team" when I wrote the grossly generalized statement about talent. I agree that all those mentioned in your list are worthy of the upper echelon of "talented" tag. I do however believe that in lieu of talent, leadership is more important. AND, I DO NOT think Simms is that guy....

Additionally, I need to see Moreno healthy and not frail and as much as I love 'em, Hillis 100% post injury and not hurt. Right now the running game looks like years past....arguable. Then there's Kuper, which I'm not sure about and Clady who is a stud...arguably the best player on our offense, in his second year w/ a potentially immobile rock slinger.... in pre-season he's already shown, either he's off his game or the coaching staff is off their game on penalty related misfires.

We all know about the Royal but Brandon Markshall is still a question mark...as much as I dig his play...and I defend him all the time here...he's arguable. I'll give ya Harris at this point other than young....

When I break it down...I see tons of potential but seriously.....a high mark? Our offense now looks comparatively, group to group in the upper 50th percentile w/o a proven QB in the system.

kmonty
09-08-2009, 10:10 PM
Simms had one good preseason game.

Enough said?

BABronco
09-08-2009, 10:20 PM
Simms had one good preseason game.

Enough said?

orton had none. enought said? id go simms, tom, 50 other guys... then orton. how this guy has a job as an nfl quarterback in unreal

baja
09-08-2009, 10:23 PM
I trust McD to start the QB that gives the Broncos the best chance to win. McD knows two things, he needs to win and his honeymoon is already over.

SoCalBronco
09-08-2009, 10:30 PM
I trust McD to start the QB that gives the Broncos the best chance to win. McD knows two things, he needs to win and his honeymoon is already over.

Agreed

errand
09-09-2009, 12:29 AM

Wow...Simms outplayed Orton vs. SF's scrubs.

errand
09-09-2009, 12:31 AM
That was the excuse Orton-backers gave when Simms wiped up the field with him :~ohyah!:

Truth is there's just one game plan, they don't give second stringers a different plan ...

...so you admit Simms was playing vs 2nd teamers?

lex
09-09-2009, 12:34 AM
...so you admit Simms was playing vs 2nd teamers?

To be fair, erin, there were several times when Orton played vs 2nd teamers as well and didnt do half as well. In case you didnt notice, the first team played more minutes than a lot of teams do.

errand
09-09-2009, 12:36 AM
Orton's preseason:

6 1/2 quarters vs opponent's starters = 13 points ... hello? ???
6 1/2 quarters vs opponent's starters= 1 td pass, 4 int

Simms' preseason:

2 1/2 quarters vs. opponent's scrubs= 16 points
2 1/2 quarters vs opponent's scrubs= 2 td 0 int

There ya go...fixed it for you.

errand
09-09-2009, 12:43 AM
To be fair, erin, there were several times when Orton played vs 2nd teamers as well and didnt do half as well. In case you didnt notice, the first team played more minutes than a lot of teams do.

To be fair? where was your 'fairness" in pointing that while some of Orton's snaps were vs scrubs...all of Simm's were

fontaine
09-09-2009, 03:41 AM
Why would anyone want to choose either Orton or Simms? That's like saying I have a choice between a rusty nail in the eye and a blunt knife up the nose.

Neither is really an option, just a precursor to a lot of pain.

orange 4 life
09-09-2009, 09:21 AM
Kiszla is now and has always been a grade A moron.

Next thread.

Rohirrim
09-09-2009, 09:55 AM
Why would anyone want to choose either Orton or Simms? That's like saying I have a choice between a rusty nail in the eye and a blunt knife up the nose.

Neither is really an option, just a precursor to a lot of pain.

Yep. I'm just hoping that one, or both, or all three of them, can at least keep their fingers in the dike (or is that dyke?) until we can get a real QB in the draft next year.

Old Dude
09-09-2009, 10:13 AM
Yep. I'm just hoping that one, or both, or all three of them, can at least keep their fingers in the dike (or is that dyke?) until we can get a real QB in the draft next year.

Betcha we wind up drafting a center or guard in Rd#1.

Rohirrim
09-09-2009, 10:41 AM
Betcha we wind up drafting a center or guard in Rd#1.

Ouch! ;D

bowtown
09-09-2009, 10:50 AM
Kiszla is now and has always been a grade A moron.

Next thread.

truth

BroncoBuff
09-09-2009, 11:34 AM
...so you admit Simms was playing vs 2nd teamers?Simms had one good preseason game. Enough said?
That's a good point, it was just one game. But I like Simms as compared to Orton ... I'm very worried about how badly Orton has played: In 6 1/2 quarters, with the FIRST stringers (errand) - that O-line plus Royal, Stokley, Graham and Hillis:

Orton has managed just one touchdown in 6 1/2 quarters. Just 13 points total. In 6 1/2 quarters.

Inexcusable and pathetic. Simms produced more points in ONE half than Kyle has in THIRTEEN halfs.

To clarify here: I don't think Chris Simms is a viable long-term starter, but I loved him as Jay's backup, thought he would last a long time in that role. Simms is better than Ramsey, BVP, Kannell, Jarrious Jackson, Matt Mauck ... he's be our best backup since Frerotte at least. And I truly do think he's better than Orton.

It won't matter now because Orton's gonna start, Simms won't see the field until Orton is hurt, or Josh (begrudgingly) is forced to make a change ...

Josh is so invested in Kyle, he's gonna ride that horse 'til it drops :deadhorse:

Lolad
09-09-2009, 11:44 AM
I have yet to see Simms look better than Orton. Brandstater looked better than the both of them, but that was in game four of a preseason. None of them get me very excited, frankly. McD should have gone up to Boulder on Friday and shanghied Sanchez.

Your saying this like didn't go up against the 1st string defense game 3 & 4. And he performed well doing it. I would rather him start the regular season and we play ball control offense on the ground

ChSuperStar
09-09-2009, 11:52 AM

It is easy to quote.. but played against 2nd team defense. Anyway i agree he looked better in that outing, but over all .... all the 3 QB's look bad