PDA

View Full Version : Jets no longer want Brandon Marshall

TonyR
09-08-2009, 06:35 AM
Jets no longer want Brandon Marshall
Posted by Mike Florio on September 8, 2009 7:15 AM ET

Despite some recent hint-dropping from safety Kerry Rhodes, the New York Jets no longer are interested in acquiring receiver Brandon Marshall from the Broncos.

So says Rich Cimini of the New York Daily News, who writes that the Jets remain interested in beefing up their receiving corps.

And we continue to be befuddled by the fact that the Jets didn't address this glaring weakness sooner. After Laveranues Coles gave back $6 million in guaranteed money for a shot at making more on the market and succeeded in Cincinnati, the Jets should have been working to fill the void.

And the process should have escalated once the Jets opted to trade up for quarterback Mark Sanchez in round one of the draft.

But instead of looking for a receiver later in later rounds, the Jets traded up to the top of Day 2 for a third tailback.

The simple reality? It would have been a lot easier to find during training camp a running back who can step in and contribute at No. 3 on the depth chart this year than it will be to find a starter-quality wideout in September who can figure out the offense on the fly and provide a viable target for the rookie who'll be starting his career without ideal targets for his passes.

Meanwhile, why in the hell haven't they brought in Matt Jones for a workout?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/09/08/jets-no-longer-want-brandon-marshall/

Jets' interest in Broncos receiver Brandon Marshall has waned
By Rich Cimini
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Tuesday, September 8th 2009, 4:00 AM

It was all quiet on the Brandon Marshall front Monday - and it apparently will stay that way.

Even though they're continuing to explore the wide-receiver market, the Jets have shifted their attention away from the Broncos' Pro Bowl wideout, according to league sources.

The Jets have been interested in Marshall for several weeks, and the trade speculation was rampant Sunday when they acquired former Patriots QB Kevin O'Connell from the Lions. The Broncos are coached by Josh McDaniels, formerly the Patriots' offensive coordinator. There was some thought around the league that the Jets would use O'Connell as a bargaining chip for Marshall.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2009/09/08/2009-09-08_jets_interest_in_broncos_receiver_brandon_marsh all_has_waned.html

TheReverend
09-08-2009, 06:49 AM
Haven't they heard that Chad Jackson is available?!?!?!

WolfpackGuy
09-08-2009, 06:52 AM
Will they take Kyle Orton instead?

Ramathorn
09-08-2009, 06:55 AM
Will they take Kyle Orton instead?

please oh please take him NY. Ill throw in 20.00 of his contract also.:rofl:

KS Bronco
09-08-2009, 06:59 AM
time to get to work marshall. learn that playbook, sincerely apologize and win back your teammates, and post another pro bowl year!

Dukes
09-08-2009, 07:07 AM
time to get to work marshall. learn that playbook, sincerely apologize and win back your teammates, and post another pro bowl year!

He doesn't have any other alternative at this point.

dbfan21
09-08-2009, 07:21 AM
No kidding the Jets' interest has waned. The Broncos aren't dealing him to NY. It's like a guy continuing to call the girl he likes, but getting no returned phone calls. After a while, he's gonna start looking at other women.

The Jets are starting to look at other receivers....

rastaman
09-08-2009, 07:40 AM

Right now Marshall doesn't have QB that can get him the ball often enough to get him back to the Pro Bowl.

rastaman
09-08-2009, 07:42 AM
No kidding the Jets' interest has waned. The Broncos aren't dealing him to NY. It's like a guy continuing to call the girl he likes, but getting no returned phone calls. After a while, he's gonna start looking at other women.

The Jets are starting to look at other receivers....

The Jets refused to give up a first and fouth for Brandon! Can't blame them. Team think the Broncos are smoking crack to be foolish enough to demand a 1st and 4th pick.

ant1999e
09-08-2009, 07:44 AM
Right now Marshall doesn't have QB that can get him the ball often enough to get him back to the Pro Bowl.

That should be the focus of the team this year. marshall to the pro bowl.:oyvey:

TonyR
09-08-2009, 07:46 AM
Team think the Broncos are smoking crack to be foolish enough to demand a 1st and 4th pick.

Why is it foolish? What should they demand?

Gort
The Jets refused to give up a first and fouth for Brandon! Can't blame them. Team think the Broncos are smoking crack to be foolish enough to demand a 1st and 4th pick.

but if the Broncos franchise him next year, his going rate will be a 1st and a 3rd, according to what somebody else posted here. why would the Broncos give him away for less?

ant1999e

I have an idea. You could become a dolphins fan. they do have ricky williams over there. :puff:

TheReverend
09-08-2009, 07:50 AM
I have an idea. You could become a dolphins fan. they do have ricky williams over there. :puff:

Ricky's my second favorite RB of all time.

TD obviously #1, but Ricky's just too hilarious not to earn a top spot.

Gort
09-08-2009, 07:55 AM
Ricky's my second favorite RB of all time.

TD obviously #1, but Ricky's just too hilarious not to earn a top spot.

Ricky's not some dumb flava clown RB either... he's actually a bright guy with alot of talent who was given bad advice by his first agent and had the misfortune of going to a desperate franchise in one of the most ridiculous draft trades in history. that's alot of pressure on a kid. and then he got involved with drugs and like most potheads, mistook being stoned for being philosophically deep. could have had a tremendous career if he hadn't been sidetracked the past few years. it seems to me that he's only playing for the paycheck now and not the love of the game. that's a shame.

hookemhess
09-08-2009, 07:56 AM
That should be the focus of the team this year. marshall to the pro bowl.:oyvey:

Rastaman hates the Broncos.

dbfan21
09-08-2009, 07:57 AM
Why is it foolish? What should they demand?

Agreed. They should get the word out there that the price for Marshall is steep. Two things can result from that mentality:

a.) The Broncos get what they ask for (1st & 4th picks) and send BM is elsewhere.

b.) The trade rumors die because no one will part with those draft picks and BM is forced to get back in line and be a team player. Plus, this option shows that the FO has some teeth and stuck to their guns on this issue.

At this point, it appears the FO did a good job by suspending the baby, unifying most of Broncos Country and allowing players/leaders on the team to speak their mind about BMs actions.

At the end of the day, all I want are Broncos wins...and a championship. Whatever we need to do to obtain that, I am on board for.

Go Broncos!

lex
09-08-2009, 08:03 AM
Agreed. They should get the word out there that the price for Marshall is steep. Two things can result from that mentality:

a.) The Broncos get what they ask for (1st & 4th picks) and send BM is elsewhere.

b.) The trade rumors die because no one will part with those draft picks and BM is forced to get back in line and be a team player. Plus, this option shows that the FO has some teeth and stuck to their guns on this issue.

At this point, it appears the FO did a good job by suspending the baby, unifying most of Broncos Country and allowing players/leaders on the team to speak their mind about BMs actions.

At the end of the day, all I want are Broncos wins...and a championship. Whatever we need to do to obtain that, I am on board for.

Go Broncos!

Pat Kirwan thinks he's worth at least a 1st and a 3rd. I think he said a 1st a 3rd and a player.

ant1999e
09-08-2009, 08:09 AM
like most potheads, mistook being stoned for being philosophically deep.

We have a few people here like that.

TailgateNut
09-08-2009, 08:11 AM

...cause Cun tler making the pro-bowl last year did so much for our TEAM.:~ohyah!:

dbfan21
09-08-2009, 08:15 AM
Pat Kirwan thinks he's worth at least a 1st and a 3rd. I think he said a 1st a 3rd and a player.

That'd be pretty good, too! Imagine going into next year's draft with two 1st's and two 3rd's. We could certainly package some picks and get into the high-end of the first round to take a stud QB...food for thought for those who are dissatisfied with our current contingent of QBs.

Dagmar
09-08-2009, 08:16 AM
Rastaman hates the Broncos.

With a passion it seems.

TheReverend
09-08-2009, 08:32 AM
Ricky's not some dumb flava clown RB either... he's actually a bright guy with alot of talent who was given bad advice by his first agent and had the misfortune of going to a desperate franchise in one of the most ridiculous draft trades in history. that's alot of pressure on a kid. and then he got involved with drugs and like most potheads, mistook being stoned for being philosophically deep. could have had a tremendous career if he hadn't been sidetracked the past few years. it seems to me that he's only playing for the paycheck now and not the love of the game. that's a shame.

Let's not forget Miami running him into the ground. Who was that? Wannstedt?

Gort
09-08-2009, 08:41 AM
We have a few people here like that.

stoned dude #1: dude, like... GOD spelled backwards... is dog.
stoned dude #2: whoa! that's deep.
rastaman: the broncos suck. McD sucks. dove valley sucks. colorado sucks. Orton sucks. Bowlen sucks.
stoned dude #1: dude, so why don't you go to a raiders forum?
rastaman: because i haven't figured out how to change the channel on my computer. computers suck.

TailgateNut
09-08-2009, 08:42 AM
rastaman: the broncos suck. McD sucks. dove valley sucks. colorado sucks. Orton sucks. Bowlen sucks.
rastaman: because i haven't figured out how to change the channel on my computer. computers suck.

"change the channel"

That's deep.LOL

uplink
09-08-2009, 08:50 AM
Wondering, would McD think twice about trading a top WR in Marshall to the Jets since he would not want to burn bridges with the Pats and Belichick?
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

TailgateNut
09-08-2009, 08:56 AM
Wondering, would McD think twice about trading a top WR in Marshall to the Jets since he would not want to burn bridges with the Pats and Belichick?
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Geeezus, the "stupid bug" has hit the forum in epidemic porportions.

gyldenlove
09-08-2009, 08:56 AM

No, Mcdaniels would trade anyone to the Jets if it made sense to him.

He is not a little girl.

Surprisingly the Jets interest has waned after Marshall is back at practice in Denver, I am bet they were told no in so many words and now Tannenbaum is looking for some other stooge to help out his rookie QB.

Pony Boy
09-08-2009, 09:10 AM

he's actually a bright guy with alot of talent .......................LOL

Rock Chalk
09-08-2009, 09:15 AM

In Wanny's defense, they had little option. Fiedler was the QB in that era and while they had Chambers, Fiedler's noodle arm was worse than Grieses after the Raider MNF game.

Fielder was actually a clone of Griese, except worse.

So they pounded Ricky to over 400 carries a year or something which is ridiculous.

No wonder the dude turned to the marijuana.

ScottXray
09-08-2009, 09:17 AM

LOLHilarious!LOLHilarious!LOL

REP

TheReverend
09-08-2009, 09:48 AM
In Wanny's defense, they had little option. Fiedler was the QB in that era and while they had Chambers, Fiedler's noodle arm was worse than Grieses after the Raider MNF game.

Fielder was actually a clone of Griese, except worse.

So they pounded Ricky to over 400 carries a year or something which is ridiculous.

No wonder the dude turned to the marijuana.

Oh I remember their QB situation, and I don't blame them for running it. But they were actually pretty successful when Sammy Morris (I think he was the #2 back then...?) ran it as well.

2 consecutive seasons of OVER 30 carries per game is just absurd no matter how you slice it.

BroncoMan4ever
09-08-2009, 10:28 AM

give me a break on this same stupid remark about Orton not being able to throw the ball. he isn't Pennington and not capable of throwing the ball farther than 15 yards. this offense is not built around airing the ball out, besides Marshall's entire game is catches within 10 yards that he turns into longer plays, he doesn't have deep ball speed.

hookemhess
09-08-2009, 11:35 AM
ESPN insider reports Brandon Marshall trade rumors return.... can someone fill us in?

rastaman
09-08-2009, 11:43 AM
he's actually a bright guy with alot of talent .......................LOL

Weed....Beer, Alcohol....name your poision. They're all drugs so whats your point! At Bronco games beers is sold. After games NFL players go out and drink alcohol. Don't get what you're trying to insinuate.

hookemhess
09-08-2009, 11:45 AM
As we noted yesterday, Brandon Marshall returned to practice with the Broncos after his reinstatement on Sunday, as per the Denver Post.

With Marshall's reinstatement -- along with Jets safety Kerry Rhodes' incessant usage of Twitter -- the flames of a trade rumor were stoked once again over the past couple days.

But now, sources speaking to papers on both sides of the deal say nothing is gonna happen. A league source told the Post on Sunday that no trade involving Marshall was in the works, while presumably some different sources told Rich Cimini of the New York Daily News that the Jets' interest in Marshall had waned.

We're still not convinced that this one is dead yet, and we'll keep you posted when we hear more.

rastaman
09-08-2009, 11:45 AM
give me a break on this same stupid remark about Orton not being able to throw the ball. he isn't Pennington and not capable of throwing the ball farther than 15 yards. this offense is not built around airing the ball out, besides Marshall's entire game is catches within 10 yards that he turns into longer plays, he doesn't have deep ball speed.

Give me a Break! Right now the Broncos offense isn't set to send any player to the Pro Bowl......let alone Brandon. 2009 may prove not to have a single Bronco player make the Pro Bowl. What the hell are you talking about??

hookemhess
09-08-2009, 11:49 AM
Give me a Break! Right now the Broncos offense isn't set to send any player to the Pro Bowl......let alone Brandon. 2009 may prove not to have a single Bronco player make the Pro Bowl. What the hell are you talking about??

You are clueless. If Clady comes close to his performance in 08 he is a lock. I wouldn't doubt it if Eddie made the squad, too.

DBroncos4life
09-08-2009, 12:01 PM
They must have caught on that we wouldn't just give him to them.

rastaman
09-08-2009, 12:06 PM
You are clueless. If Clady comes close to his performance in 08 he is a lock. I wouldn't doubt it if Eddie made the squad, too.

I'll give you Clady....however, Royal and Marshall will need the QB to get the ball consistently. Not sure Orton or Simms will play consistently enough to make it happen.

tsiguy96
09-08-2009, 12:06 PM
rastaman, you may be the biggest widower on this forum. its madness!!!

tsiguy96
09-08-2009, 12:07 PM
I'll give you Clady....however, Royal and Marshall will need the QB to get the ball consistently. Not sure Orton or Simms will play consistently enough to make it happen.

yea ya know, because steve smith, calvin johnson, andre johnson, tony gonzalez all need SUPERSTAR qb's to do their job.

rastaman
09-08-2009, 12:07 PM
They must have caught on that we wouldn't just give him to them.

or the Jets thought the Broncos were crazy demanding a 1st and 4th round picks for Brandon. Who knows at this point.

DBroncos4life
09-08-2009, 12:09 PM
or the Jets thought the Broncos were crazy demanding a 1st and 4th round picks for Brandon. Who knows at this point.

Its crazy to demand value out of our players?

rastaman
09-08-2009, 12:10 PM
yea ya know, because steve smith, calvin johnson, andre johnson, tony gonzalez all need SUPERSTAR qb's to do their job.

Well we see won't we. Don't be pissed just b/c I don't have same vision as you do. I could be wrong.....hell Orton or Simms could make their first Pro Bowl appearance as well.....but I doubt it.

Just Win Games and put up great stats and thats your ticket to the Pro Bowl.

hookemhess
09-08-2009, 12:11 PM

Fair value, at that. A 1st & 4th isn't crazy. Rasta doesn't know what he is talking about.

tsiguy96
Well we see won't we. Don't be pissed just b/c I don't have same vision as you do. I could be wrong.....hell Orton or Simms could make their first Pro Bowl appearance as well.....but I doubt it.

Just Win Games and put up great stats and thats your ticket to the Pro Bowl.

atleast now youre admitting theres a chance of success. thats a step in the right direction.

rastaman

Its crazy to demand unrealistic value for players on any team.

hookemhess
09-08-2009, 12:13 PM

Unrealistic? What are you smoking? What is "realistic" if a 1st for production and 4th for drafted position is crazy?

rastaman
09-08-2009, 12:13 PM
atleast now youre admitting theres a chance of success. thats a step in the right direction.

I'm just being a realistic fan. Point is, I've admitted I'm not in the mood for rebuilding so I have a low expectations. I'm hoping for the best and planning for the worst.

DBroncos4life
09-08-2009, 12:15 PM

That is the value that NFL teams set for young Pro Bowl players, if you don't agree with then so be it but Denver doesn't need to move him nor should they. If this front office would have moved him for anything less then a 1st and a 4th or Harris and a 3rd, it would have been mess. The FO did very well this time.

tsiguy96
09-08-2009, 12:16 PM
I'm just being a realistic fan. Point is, I've admitted I'm not in the mood for rebuilding so I have a low expectations. I'm hoping for the best and planning for the worst.

you really fooled everyone here by "hoping for the best"

rastaman
09-08-2009, 12:17 PM
Unrealistic? What are you smoking? What is "realistic" if a 1st for production and 4th for drafted position is crazy?

Point is, if Denver is hesistant to give Brandon a Roddy White type conract for his off the field legal issues; shouldn't any team interested in Brandon be concerned about the same off the field issues and shy away from giving up at least a 1st rounder. I'd be inclined to trade Bmarsh for a 2nd and 4th to get rid of my headache.

rastaman
09-08-2009, 12:19 PM
you really fooled everyone here by "hoping for the best"

I'm only looking at the "Big Picture"! But I also, stand by my opinion that historically, 30 something year old HC's don't win in the NFL with their first head coaching job.

rastaman
09-08-2009, 12:24 PM
That is the value that NFL teams set for young Pro Bowl players, if you don't agree with then so be it but Denver doesn't need to move him nor should they. If this front office would have moved him for anything less then a 1st and a 4th or Harris and a 3rd, it would have been mess. The FO did very well this time.

So what would Denver offer up Bmarsh for if he's one or two years removed from the Pro Bowl? Thats the next possible scenario

ScottXray
09-08-2009, 12:26 PM
Hmm...after they find out we won't give them a premier wide receiver without getting good compensation in return (good lb and draft picks, or good draft picks) they are no longer interested.

SURPRISE, SURPRISE!

DBroncos4life
09-08-2009, 12:26 PM
So what would Denver offer up Bmarsh for if he's one or two years removed from the Pro Bowl? Thats the next possible scenario

I've made it perfectly clear that I want to KEEP my young talented players on the rosters and not become a farm league team for other NFL teams.

tsiguy96
09-08-2009, 12:30 PM
I'm only looking at the "Big Picture"! But I also, stand by my opinion that historically, 30 something year old HC's don't win in the NFL with their first head coaching job.

that opinion is flawed as you have no evidence that 30 year olds fail at a higher rate then 40 or 50 year olds.

rastaman
09-08-2009, 12:38 PM
that opinion is flawed as you have no evidence that 30 year olds fail at a higher rate then 40 or 50 year olds.

Nope we already hashed it out. We have posted a list a few threads back consistenting of 30 something HC dating back to the 1960's to Mike Tomlin. And what you will find that the circumstances, talent wise, challenges, era's, all play into how or when a 30 something coach was or was not able to win in their 30's. McDaniels situation is different than what the 30 something HC's of the past and present were faced with.

We will see.

rastaman
09-08-2009, 12:41 PM
I've made it perfectly clear that I want to KEEP my young talented players on the rosters and not become a farm league team for other NFL teams.

You can't keep your players....forever especially if they want to move on. FA means players are paroled or win they're freedom from their old teams.

DBroncos4life
09-08-2009, 12:56 PM
You can't keep your players....forever especially if they want to move on. FA means players are paroled or win they're freedom from their old teams.

We control him for three more season's. That's more then enough time to find away to make him happy.

rmsanger
09-08-2009, 01:33 PM
maybe the trade with the Chicago Bears can with a 120 day warranty.... and we get to return the goods back to them for our down payment.

cutthemdown
09-08-2009, 02:10 PM
Fair value, at that. A 1st & 4th isn't crazy. Rasta doesn't know what he is talking about.

has he ever? Can't remember him ever having a decent point in any thread.

cutthemdown
09-08-2009, 02:11 PM

You can always control the rights to your franchise player.

Dedhed
09-08-2009, 02:26 PM

How, exactly, is it foolish to ask a price above market value if you're in no pinch to sell. Foolish would be the exact opposite, but speaking to a fool I would doubt you'll grasp that.

FireFly
09-08-2009, 05:16 PM

I tend to agree, or at least a 1st and a solid starter

broncocalijohn
09-08-2009, 05:25 PM
He doesn't have any other alternative at this point.

doesnt mean he is smart enough to realize that.

FireFly
09-08-2009, 06:07 PM
Thing is, if he were a JETs player now, and always had been, would you be happy with the Bronco's giving up a 1st and a 3rd for him at this point?

I wouldn't.

TonyR
09-08-2009, 07:18 PM
Marshall, Orton back at Broncos practice
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on September 8, 2009 6:26 PM ET

After a preseason filled with unending drama, the Broncos may still line up the quarterback and wide receiver they expected come Week One.

Brandon Marshall and Kyle Orton both returned to practice Tuesday, although Orton's role on Sunday against the Bengals seems more clear.

While coach Josh McDaniels took the predictable route of not naming a starter, he sounded encouraged by Orton's work in practice.

"Obviously there's a little bit of restriction for a quarterback when you've got something on your hand, but for the most part everything was clean," McDaniels said. "Hopeful everybody that was out there today will be ready to go Sunday."

Orton is handling the weekly press conference duties Wednesday that traditionally go to the starting quarterback, another sign that he'll start despite his damaged digit.

Marshall's status is less clear, but his teammates sounded ready to move past his stormy preseason.

Asked about Marshall's return, receiver Brandon Stokley said, "It's great. He made a mistake and now we're all ready just to move on from that."

McDaniels seems like bottom-line coach, and he knows he needs Marshall, especially with Jabar Gaffney iffy with a broken thumb. If Marshall has a "clean" week of practice, it's hard to imagine him riding the pine while McDaniels tries to erase his ugly offseason with a clean 1-0.

"We need [Marshall], and we'll have to wait and see on Sunday," Stokley said.

UPDATE: It's on. McDaniels said he could "absolutely" see Marshall playing a significant role. "Look, he's a good football player," McDaniels said. "If he's ready to go and we go through this week of practice and feel that's the direction we want to play on Sunday, certainly we all know what he can do as a football player." Gaffney also returned to practice, but his status is less certain.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/09/08/marshall-orton-back-at-broncos-practice/

baja
09-08-2009, 09:17 PM
Marshall will have a monster year and become a big McD supporter and will sign a long term contract with the Broncos around game 15.

kamakazi_kal
09-08-2009, 10:24 PM
I'm glad the Jets have no more intrest. No matter if you like him or hate him, were better with him on the field......someone will need to draw coverage from all those screens.

lex
09-08-2009, 10:27 PM
I'm glad the Jets have no more intrest. No matter if you like him or hate him, were better with him on the field......someone will need to draw coverage from all those screens.

Valid point except if you run a screen 30 times a game, teams will load up on it no matter how many times Marshall runs a 9.

epicSocialism4tw
09-08-2009, 10:31 PM

Ha.

I have a friend who is a dolphins fan. He absolutely hates Wannstedt.

rastaman
09-09-2009, 05:21 AM
You can always control the rights to your franchise player.

For how long? Can Bowlen Franchise tag Brandon for the next 5 or 10 years?

Is it the scenario "We Can Keep You Forever"! Question is....when will Bmarsh be free to test the free agency waters?

When will Marshall be granted Parole from the Bronco Gulag to play for a team of his choosing?

If Brandon isn't putting up Franchise-Pro Bowl stats....what since does it make to continue to apply the Franchise tag to that player?

rastaman
09-09-2009, 05:30 AM
How, exactly, is it foolish to ask a price above market value if you're in no pinch to sell. Foolish would be the exact opposite, but speaking to a fool I would doubt you'll grasp that.

Hey Chuckle Nuts, nim rods like you and your ilk are skirting possible scenarios that could ensue. And you can't seem to think outside the box thats not my fault! Only fools like you can't see the forest for the trees. :~ohyah!:

Have a nice day....O'Brite One. :thumbs:

TonyR
09-09-2009, 05:59 AM
...you and your ilk are skirting possible scenarios that could ensue...

Such as........?