PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Team Preview: Broncos (JOHN CLAYTON STAYS HATING-says we're worst than OAK + KC)

The MVPlaya
09-07-2009, 09:09 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/preview09/team?team=den

EXPERTS' PICKS

The Broncos finished second in the AFC West last season with an 8-8 record. For more Broncos coverage, visit Bill Williamson's AFC West blog | Broncos clubhouse
ANALYST PREDICTION
Jeffri
Chadiha
ESPN.com
DIVISION FINISH: 3 New coach Josh McDaniels will regret his decision to trade Jay Cutler this offseason. The Broncos now don't have enough firepower to compensate for their defensive deficiencies.
John
Clayton
ESPN.com
DIVISION FINISH: 4 Face it, the Broncos are a mess. They could be a three- or a four-win team if Kyle Orton struggles, the running game gets off to a slow start and Brandon Marshall continues to pout and be immature. To add to things, the defense that gave up 28 points a game is trying a completely new scheme. Ouch.
Tim
Graham
ESPN.com
DIVISION FINISH: 2 If Josh McDaniels can mold Matt Cassel into an 11-game winner in the NFL, then the rookie head coach should be competitive with Kyle Orton. But the team will stall unless the young McDaniels builds credibility in the locker room early in the regular season.
Jeremy
Green
Scouts Inc.
DIVISION FINISH: 2 This is not a very good team, but in the AFC West that is enough for second place. The Broncos have concerns at quarterback, along the D-line and in the secondary.
Paul
Kuharsky
ESPN.com
DIVISION FINISH: 4 Offseason debacle leaves team in position to struggle. The Broncos undid a high-flying offense while not doing near enough to fix a bad defense.
Matt
Mosley
ESPN.com
DIVISION FINISH: 3 This has been a nightmarish offseason. I don't think Kyle Orton's a legitimate starter at quarterback and obviously the Brandon Marshall thing has spun out of control.
Len
Pasquarelli
ESPN.com
DIVISION FINISH: 2 With the end of the Mike Shanahan era and having a different staff and new quarterback, things could get rough in '09. It would take a lot of pieces to fall in place for this to be much better than an 8-8 team.
Mike
Sando
ESPN.com
DIVISION FINISH: 2 The last thing the Broncos needed was for Kyle Orton to suffer a finger injury. If healthy, he gives the Broncos a chance to compete.
Kevin
Seifert
ESPN.com
DIVISION FINISH: 2 As long as quarterback Kyle Orton stays healthy, the Broncos can be competitive. Their 3-4 defense should keep some teams off balance. But an offseason and summer of internal strife suggests a long season.
James
Walker
ESPN.com
DIVISION FINISH: 4 Any hope of the Broncos having a successful season was shipped to the Windy City.
Seth
Wickersham
ESPN The Magazine
DIVISION FINISH: 3 Josh McDaniels is a talented coach, but is not talented enough to fix Denver's atrocious D, which is transitioning to the 3-4, and the loss of Jay Cutler in one year.
Bill
Williamson
ESPN.com
DIVISION FINISH: 3 The Broncos have to prove they can get decent quarterback play and improved defensive play to think this team can win more than six games. Add a brutal schedule and it could be a tough start to the Josh McDaniels era.
Matt
Williamson
Scouts Inc.
DIVISION FINISH: 3 Talk about a complete overhaul. If Brandon Marshall is healthy and in good graces (highly unlikely), the offense should remain formidable in both the run and passing games behind an excellent offensive line. Still, a drop-off at quarterback is going to occur. The secondary is older, but certainly better. Meanwhile, the front seven looks to be a long way away.
Pat
Yasinskas
ESPN.com
DIVISION FINISH: 3 Are the Broncos better off without Jay Cutler? No way. When Mike Shanahan was the coach, the Broncos were always in the playoff hunt. Without him, they won't be.

CONSENSUS DIVISION FINISH: 2nd | NFL standings
BEST OF THE BRONCOS

Best drama: We get the feeling the issues at quarterback will linger for some time. Jay Cutler doesn't live here anymore. Kyle Orton and Chris Simms are the residents and the natives are restless. This could be a give-and-take battle all season between these two less-than-superior quarterbacks.

Best unhappy player: Pro Bowl receiver Brandon Marshall doesn't want to be in Denver. The Broncos don't want to trade him. They can't just let every unhappy player hit the bricks. But ultimately, Marshall needs Denver and Denver needs Marshall. The Broncos' offense can be much better with Marshall and Marshall's chances of getting paid are much better if he is productive.

Best depth: The Broncos have some nice running backs. They have rookie Knowshon Moreno, veterans Correll Buckhalter and LaMont Jordan, and second-year pile driver Peyton Hillis. If all of these players stay healthy (Denver lost seven tailbacks, including Hillis, last year) the Denver running game should be strong once again.

Best newcomer: Champ Bailey, Denver's left cornerback, probably will end up being a Hall of Famer. So his praise is worth listening to. Bailey has been raving about new Denver right cornerback Andre' Goodman. The free agent from Miami is the goods, says Bailey. And you have to believe Bailey when he's talking corners.

Best chance to win: The first three games of the season. Denver opens at Cincinnati, then plays host to Cleveland and visits Oakland. After that, the team enters a brutal 10-game stretch in which it plays nine games against legitimate playoff contenders, including Pittsburgh, New England, Indianapolis, San Diego (twice), the Giants and Cowboys.

-- Bill Williamson, ESPN.com
SCOUTS INC.'S FABULOUS FIVE
Scouts Inc. has evaluated and graded more than 2,500 NFL players heading into the 2009 season, giving Insiders a leg up on the competition with exclusive grades, alerts and scouting reports. Insider
Top five players
ANALYSIS
1. Champ Bailey
Cornerback
6-0 | 192 (Grade: 92) He is one of the elite corners in the NFL, possessing size, speed, agility and cover skills that allow him to basically shut down one side of the field. While he has a tendency to bite on double moves, he has enough speed to recover and get back into coverage.
2. Brandon Marshall
Wide receiver
6-4 | 230 (88) In his three years in the league, Marshall has become an elite NFL receiver with back-to-back 100-plus reception seasons in 2007 and 2008. He has become Denver's go-to receiver and has led the team in touchdown receptions over the past two years as well.
3. Ryan Clady
Offensive tackle
6-6 | 325 (79) Clady met expectations as Denver's first-round draft pick in 2008 as he started all 16 games as a rookie. He has unusual initial quickness and agility for his size and did an excellent job of protecting the quarterback's blind side as the starting left tackle.

4. Eddie Royal
Wide receiver
5-10 | 182 (78) He is a slightly undersized receiver, but he can be explosive off the line and has the speed to take it all the way once he gets behind the secondary.

5. Brian Dawkins
Safety
6-0 | 210 (76) Dawkins is very instinctive and his toughness and reactions near the line of scrimmage make him very productive. He is a proven leader who continues to make a lot of plays when healthy. He has good communication skills and does an excellent job of recognizing quickly and helping others get lined up.

Player grading scale: Elite (90-100), outstanding (80-89), solid starter (75-79), good starter (70-74)
SCOUTS INC.'S ANALYSIS
Strengths

Offensive line: While few realize it, Denver has an elite offensive line. It excels in both protection and opening holes in the run game. In fact, there might not be a better unit overall in the league today. Depth here is suspect, however.

Weapons: Jay Cutler is gone, but the Broncos still have solid offensive players. They added a first-round running back in Knowshon Moreno, who is also a very solid player in the passing game. Getting everyone on the same page (Brandon Marshall) and happy for opening day will be the test.

Cornerback: A healthy Champ Bailey will go a long way and Denver did add talent to this area. All four of the projected starters on the back end are more than 30 years old, so that is a reason for concern. And if the Broncos can't improve their pass rush, it won't matter who is doing the covering.

Weaknesses

Front seven: This will be a transition year as Denver moves to a 3-4 scheme, but this group was terrible a year ago and really hasn't made enough changes to feel much better about this season -- no matter what scheme is being run.

Special teams: Because the defense was so horrendous last season, how poorly the Broncos played on special teams went somewhat unnoticed. Poor special-teams play had become a trademark of Mike Shanahan, so there is hope that the new staff is able to get more out of this important phase of the game. That new staff has a lot of work to do.

Quarterback: As a Chicago Bear, Kyle Orton was quite good last season before his ankle injury. He might thrive in Denver's potentially high-powered offense. Still, this position has to be considered a weakness until proven otherwise.

Scouts Inc. watches games, breaks down film and studies football from all angles.

watermock
09-07-2009, 09:16 PM
2 weeks old.

If Orton and Simms hold up?

The MVPlaya
09-07-2009, 09:17 PM
2 weeks old.

If Orton and Simms hold up?

Really? These team previews just made the front of ESPN.com NFL...

and look @ the top

Updated: September 7, 2009, 8:14 PM ET

LongDongJohnson
09-07-2009, 09:20 PM
john clayton can suck my big hairy cock

Broncobuddy7
09-07-2009, 09:22 PM
Predicting an upcoming NFL season is like predicting the stock market. ESPN is really no better at it than anyone of us.

Kid A
09-07-2009, 09:25 PM
I see us finishing 2nd. Jamarcus Russell's performance may decide whether the Raiders can make a push to leap us our not.

Until the Chiefs show me something (anything) I'm not picking much success for a 2 win team that brings back the worst o-line I've ever watched. I actually can see partially why some might see them making strides (they lost something like 7 games last year by less than 7), but my gut (and eyes) tell me they look like cellar dwellers again.

Rock Chalk
09-07-2009, 09:44 PM
Ryan Clady rated a 79 or "solid started"

BWAHAHAHAHA.

TheReverend
09-07-2009, 09:45 PM
3 of them ranked Denver last in the Division.

The median rating is 3

And we turn this into "Clayton hates us"

Maybe we should just accept that we're probably going to suck really, really bad this season and that Patty B, Ellis, Josh and Xanders might have screwed the pooch.

The MVPlaya
09-07-2009, 09:50 PM

The median rating is 3

Maybe we should just accept that we're probably going to suck really, really bad this season and that Patty B, Ellis, Josh and Xanders might have screwed the pooch.

This adds to the Clayton hatred - he always and I mean ALWAYS hates on the Broncos regardless of what happens.

The other 2 are probably hanging off his balls.

Maybe we should accept that we're probably going to suck? That would probably make most of OM satisfied since that's what everyone here loves to emphasize.

But see... we're a lock for 2nd - Raiders and Chiefs are not even relevant...

Orange4Life
09-07-2009, 09:52 PM
'To add to things, the defense that gave up 28 points a game is trying a completely new scheme. Ouch.'

How is this a negative? Its obvious the old scheme didn't work worth a ****. The new one can't possibly be worse

orinjkrush
09-07-2009, 09:56 PM
you're never as good as you think...

and never as bad as you think.

SonOfLe-loLang
09-07-2009, 10:03 PM
I know they are just predictions, but i dont know how anyone can look at the raiders and have any confidence.

TheReverend
09-07-2009, 10:04 PM
This adds to the Clayton hatred - he always and I mean ALWAYS hates on the Broncos regardless of what happens.

Maybe we should accept that we're probably going to suck? That would probably make most of OM satisfied since that's what everyone here loves to emphasize.

Brb, buying stock in local Denver liquors.

SonOfLe-loLang
09-07-2009, 10:06 PM

The median rating is 3

yeah, screw it. why even play the season. God you guys can be so ****ing annoying.

tsiguy96
09-07-2009, 10:21 PM
i hate stuff like this. make blanket statements about the team then a vague prediction about why they will be so bad without any real evidence. the team that sucked as a 4-3 MUST suck as a 3-4. only like 2 returning starters, new and better coaching all over the D, but who cares, old D bad, new D bad.

kyle orton, the same one who was being treated as the second coming in chicago and praised left and right in the middle of last season, is now a 3rd string QB to everyone again since his name is not jay cutler. forget the fact he actually had a damn good season (especially before his ankle injury). now count me in those as unimpressed thus far, and i think 100% it will be chris simms week 1. too predict that our running game will start slow is pretty ridiculous, no joke. we have a great oline, more specifically built for pass blocking but very good at run blocking, and bruiser RBs. by most accounts brandon marshall is trying to make it back to good graces, who knows if its because hes sorry or he realizes he may have ruined his chance at top flight contract, but either way he seems to be coming back. but lets ignore all this and make our easy blanket sensationalized statements that please the general media.

Baba Booey
09-07-2009, 10:32 PM
Like I said in another thread...

Clayton is the most spiteful, negative reporter on ESPN because his mom wouldn't let him play football when he was little.

TheReverend
09-07-2009, 10:32 PM
yeah, screw it. why even play the season. God you guys can be so ****ing annoying.

You're right.

I wrote and posted the article.

Are you really this stupid? Please tell me you lack the ability to reproduce... you don't deserve to poison future generations gene-pools with your stupidity.

DBroncos4life
09-07-2009, 10:33 PM
Are you guys really that shocked? I mean did you really just think writers would love our off-season or anyone outside of Denver?

Borks147
09-07-2009, 10:51 PM
what is most annoying is that these writers obviously spend no time looking at film or even roster moves on the teams for which they are predicting records. Our weakness is in the secondary? That is the one strength the defense has! Did nothing to shore up the front 7? What about the guys we traded for and who have been stepping up in the pre-season. I understand its hard to keep up with 32 teams, but damn, that is their job! If you spend 5 minutes a day on each team, that is still only 2 and a half hours out of the work day. Considering they're professional NFL writers, is that too much to ask out of an 8 hour work day?

TheReverend
09-07-2009, 11:02 PM
what is most annoying is that these writers obviously spend no time looking at film or even roster moves on the teams for which they are predicting records. Our weakness is in the secondary? That is the one strength the defense has!

You're aware that SFs QBs racked up a 140 QB rating?

And Hasslebeck had over 120?

And Cutler, who we've been knocking his line and receiving options all off-season had 106?

Or did you not notice any of that?

Did nothing to shore up the front 7? What about the guys we traded for and who have been stepping up in the pre-season. I understand its hard to keep up with 32 teams, but damn, that is their job! If you spend 5 minutes a day on each team, that is still only 2 and a half hours out of the work day. Considering they're professional NFL writers, is that too much to ask out of an 8 hour work day?

Name one guy we traded for and is starting in the front seven?

broncocalijohn
09-07-2009, 11:02 PM
Like I said in another thread...

Clayton is the most spiteful, negative reporter on ESPN because his mom wouldn't let him play football when he was little.

look at him. Do you blame her? Best way to shut him up is for the team to win and watch him backpedal. Of course, though, we will hear how remarkable the coach is doing with nothing on the field.

TheReverend
09-07-2009, 11:05 PM
look at him. Do you blame her? Best way to shut him up is for the team to win and watch him backpedal. Of course, though, we will hear how remarkable the coach is doing with nothing on the field.

Not sure how that could be viewed as negative... In that situation, McDaniels will DEFINITELY deserve his due.

lostknight
09-07-2009, 11:11 PM
Anyone who dares to think that McDaniel's is not God's only son is "hating". It's getting pretty old. This reminds me of Democratic Underground, not a football post.

Look, it's really simple. Shanahan at the bear minimum would have had a 8-8 season. Better then that, McDaniel's gets props. Worse, he gets the blame. It's how it should be. This team is his team - what he wants, who he wants, and when he wants.

Now we just have to find out if he has a clue and is as brilliant as the "worshipers" think he is, or doesn't and is as clueless as the "haters" think he is.

TheDave
09-07-2009, 11:55 PM
Anyone who dares to think that McDaniel's is not God's only son is "hating". It's getting pretty old. This reminds me of Democratic Underground, not a football post.

Look, it's really simple. Shanahan at the bear minimum would have had a 8-8 season. Better then that, McDaniel's gets props. Worse, he gets the blame. It's how it should be. This team is his team - what he wants, who he wants, and when he wants.

Now we just have to find out if he has a clue and is as brilliant as the "worshipers" think he is, or doesn't and is as clueless as the "haters" think he is.

...and the best part is we will start to see where this goes in 6 days.

Thank god for football.

tsiguy96
09-08-2009, 12:02 AM
...and the best part is we will start to see where this goes in 6 days.

Thank god for football.

5 days!!!

watermock
09-08-2009, 12:09 AM
Not sure how that could be viewed as negative... In that situation, McDaniels will DEFINITELY deserve his due.

Yes.

We will win because Clayton is a shemale.

Broncos4tw
09-08-2009, 12:12 AM
As bad as we are, we are just fated to be better than KC and the Faders. Chargers will beat us out this year, without much of a problem. But even if we end up 4-12, we'll be ahead of them. So those two teams had best hope we don't suck, or they are in for a crappy year, just saying.

broncocalijohn
09-08-2009, 12:13 AM

what makes you think we were at least an 8 and 8 team with probably the worst defense going in. We would have had the same Defensive Coordinator screwing up our team. Nothing was guaranteed for this year...nothing!

broncocalijohn
09-08-2009, 12:18 AM

i didnt have it viewed as a negative but a positive. (post on page one)

rastaman
09-08-2009, 06:03 AM

All McD needs to do is prove "Clayton" wrong....."Just Win Baby"!!!;)

Rohirrim
09-08-2009, 06:58 AM
New coach Josh McDaniels will regret his decision to trade Jay Cutler this offseason.

I can't even describe how sick I am of this twisted take. Repeat a lie often enough...

TailgateNut
09-08-2009, 07:38 AM
New coach Josh McDaniels will regret his decision to trade Jay Cutler this offseason.

I can't even describe how sick I am of this twisted take. Repeat a lie often enough...

If you repeat a lie often enough, those who are gullible will eventually buy it, lock, stock and barrel.