PDA

View Full Version : Merriman's clock ticking with team

baja
09-07-2009, 03:01 PM
http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/sep/07/merrimans-clock-ticking-team/?chargers

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/

DenverBrit
09-07-2009, 03:05 PM
Roids and Tequila don't mix well.

Cmac821
09-07-2009, 03:07 PM
I was hoping he would play last year and get his knee destroyed for using steroids but I guess this works

TheReverend
09-07-2009, 03:09 PM
Perfect parallel with Marshall.

Insanely talented, remarkably productive, off-field issues and a recent injury concern.

TheReverend
09-07-2009, 03:10 PM
PS. Bring him in

TheDave
09-07-2009, 03:12 PM
PS. Bring him in

Awesome... then we would have 4 guys to play WOLB.

Merriman, Doom, Ayers, Moss... :thumbsup:

Meck77
09-07-2009, 03:13 PM
A perfect example as to why you can't be so sure how a teams record will end up. Who's to say Rivers or LT don't go down early in the season. There are just too many variables and unknowns in this league.

TheReverend
09-07-2009, 03:15 PM

Put your reading glasses on. Merriman plays on the strong side as a L OLB, gramps. :wave:

TheReverend
09-07-2009, 03:21 PM
Put your reading glasses on. Merriman plays on the strong side as a L OLB, gramps. :wave:

Hmmm, they seem to flip him actually.

Oh well, who cares

broncofan7
09-07-2009, 03:23 PM
A perfect example as to why you can't be so sure how a teams record will end up. Who's to say Rivers or LT don't go down early in the season. There are just too many variables and unknowns in this league.

The thought process that went into writing this above statement is the perfect example of how McD has come in and removed all of the positive optimism that we used to have as fans of the Denver Broncos and has relegated it to the level of having to root for other teams to have potential injuries to key players in order to compete for the division title--welcome to KC Chief's-ville........thanks for trading Cutler.

TheDave
09-07-2009, 03:25 PM

Hmmm, they seem to flip him actually.

Oh well, who cares

Oooopppss... never mind.

Sure bring him in... ;D

baja
09-07-2009, 03:27 PM
Oooopppss... never mind.

Sure bring him in... ;D

Huh you really want to see merriman here???

baja
09-07-2009, 03:28 PM
maybe him and Marshall can start a "Tag team" women beat down off season event.

TheDave
09-07-2009, 03:28 PM
Huh you really want to see merriman here???

Let me put it this way... I want to win, and if healthy his 15 sacks a year would help.

RhymesayersDU
09-07-2009, 03:31 PM
Let me put it this way... I want to win, and if healthy his 15 sacks a year would help.

This ^

I'd take Merriman in a heartbeat.

baja
09-07-2009, 03:34 PM

Everybody that hates it that Cutler is gone would agree with you and everyone that is glad Cutler is gone would not.

sisterhellfyre
09-07-2009, 03:34 PM

I can just see it now: a new WWE tagteam event, with Merriman & Marshall against Chyna and partner. Me, I'm betting on Chyna.

TheReverend
09-07-2009, 03:35 PM
Everybody that hates it that Cutler is gone would agree with you and everyone that is glad Cutler is gone would not.

What does that have to do with anything... expand please...

boltaneer
09-07-2009, 03:35 PM
Despite all his "insider" information as the beat writer, Acee is wrong most of the time about his predictions and he's been predicting that Merriman won't get a new contract with the Chargers for over a year now.

Even though it appears that these choking allegations are false and this is the first off the field incident he has had and even though it seems like these charges aren't going anywhere, AJ Smith has said that he doesn't care for Merriman's "Hollywood" lifestyle.

If he has another excellent season and carries the defense back to it's old form and possibly greater success in the post season, I think Acee will be proven wrong again. AJ Smith isn't stupid enough to let a talent like that go just because he doesn't like him hanging out with celebrities. (even if he stays out of trouble)

RhymesayersDU
09-07-2009, 03:36 PM
botlaneer --

Didn't the Chargers draft his replacement already, and are pleased with that decision? I was under the impression that they planned to let him go and have a suitable player in the wings. Or is that speculation?

TheReverend
09-07-2009, 03:38 PM
botlaneer --

Didn't the Chargers draft his replacement already, and are pleased with that decision? I was under the impression that they planned to let him go and have a suitable player in the wings. Or is that speculation?

Plenty of snaps for both and Phillips would probably be assed out if Larry English can show the expected value on the field, I'd assume

boltaneer
09-07-2009, 03:40 PM
botlaneer --

I'm sure English is insurance in case they decide not to re-sign Merriman or if Merriman's knee just isn't healthy.

Just based on the information released so far, I think this whole Tila Tequila arrest is a joke. Despite AJ Smith not pleased with Merriman's celebrity status, if he doesn't re-sign him, it's going to be because Merriman is going to command too much money, not because of him going to night clubs despite keeping his nose clean.

baja
09-07-2009, 03:43 PM
What does that have to do with anything... expand please...

It's reflective of the two mind sets

Camp #1. - Winning is all that matters we love us any sleaze ball asswhole as long as he has the stats.

Camp #2 - Give us a team that wins but also a team that plays for their team mates and leaves it all on the field because there is joy in watching that type of camaraderie. You could call it Old School.

TheDave
09-07-2009, 03:49 PM

1st our previous QB didn't have any off field issues...

2nd if you think you are going to win with a bunch of choir boys you've got another thing coming.

baja
09-07-2009, 03:54 PM
1st our previous QB didn't have any off field issues...

2nd if you think you are going to win with a bunch of choir boys you've got another thing coming.

Not choir boys I want a team that plays with heart and for each other.

Not this;

http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/jaycutler1.jpg

boltaneer
09-07-2009, 03:59 PM
Heh. A Merriman thread that turned into a Cutler thread in the first page. You guys rock!

TheDave
09-07-2009, 03:59 PM

Not this;

Your opinion of his is slightly more off than your opinion of Darius Watts was... and that's sayin' somethin'.

and let's remember who turned this into a Cutler thread. ;D

baja
09-07-2009, 04:13 PM
<b>Your opinion of his is slightly more off than your opinion of Darius Watts </b>was... and that's sayin' somethin'.

and let's remember who turned this into a Cutler thread. ;D

That's YOUR opinion, oh and let's face it we are a long way from being done talking about Cutler.

http://www.oddjack.com/wp-content/jay_cutler4.jpg

TheDave
09-07-2009, 04:17 PM
That's YOUR opinion, oh and let's face it we are a long way from being done talking about Cutler.

Well in fairness... it's my opinion, half of the denver fan base's opinion, and 100% of chicago...

fdf
09-07-2009, 04:18 PM
The thought process that went into writing this above statement is the perfect example of how McD has come in and removed all of the positive optimism that we used to have as fans of the Denver Broncos and has relegated it to the level of having to root for other teams to have potential injuries to key players in order to compete for the division title--welcome to KC Chief's-ville........thanks for trading Cutler.

LOL. If you had any shred of "positive optimism" after the last three seasons, you were the owner of the orangest-tinted glasses I have ever encountered--and I've worn some really orange ones.

I mean, I've been following the Broncos, literally, since 1960. I even managed to whip up optimism about the Broncos in the 60's each offseason (of course I was younger then) and that was quite an accomplishment. I managed it again for several years after our post-superbowl descent into perennial mediocrity.

But I finally had to take my orange glasses off the last few years. Our team sucked and it was going to continue sucking until someone took our D seriously. That meant tearing the team up and starting a bunch of it over.

The success of the repair of the Broncos is, in the long run, not going to be decided by whether Cutler is a franchise QB or whether he is a whiny drunk who showed up for the Buffalo game hung over.

I'm more optimistic now than I have been for some years. At least there is a chance we will improve. As it was, we were going to remain mired in mediocrity unchanged. Maybe current management is doing a terrible job. Maybe they are doing a great job. We'll know in another couple of years.

In the meantime, I'll do my best NOT to drive management out of town with constant whining and harping. You may think firing McDaniels is a peachy idea. But the next management change is going to be just as painful as this one has been. I want this management to succeed and bring us some more superbowls.

baja
09-07-2009, 04:19 PM
Well in fairness... it's my opinion, half of the denver fan base's opinion,<b> and 100% of chicago...

Give it time. Get back to me mid season.

Now there is a set up worth a book mark. ;D

TheReverend
09-07-2009, 04:23 PM

Not this;

http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/jaycutler1.jpg

Isn't that him checking his blood sugar?

baja
09-07-2009, 04:24 PM
Isn't that him checking his blood sugar?

Looks like it but I couldn't find the one where he was pouting all by himself on the bench. ;D

Xenos
09-07-2009, 04:27 PM
http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/sep/07/merrimans-clock-ticking-team/?chargers

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/

Dude, you posted articles by Kevin Acee. That's hilarious.

RhymesayersDU
09-07-2009, 04:53 PM
It's reflective of the two mind sets

Camp #1. - Winning is all that matters we love us any sleaze ball asswhole as long as he has the stats.

Camp #2 - Give us a team that wins but also a team that plays for their team mates and leaves it all on the field because there is joy in watching that type of camaraderie. You could call it Old School.

I don't get this. Take for instance Mike Vick. From all accounts, he was loved in the locker room, you know he played all out on the field, put his body on the line all the time, etc.

But wouldn't we agree that he is/was a sleaze ball?

Point being; your 2 "camps" are not mutually exclusive. I'm sure there have been a lot of off-the-field douche bags who played with heart, etc, when they walked onto the field.

TheReverend
09-07-2009, 04:54 PM
Looks like it but I couldn't find the one where he was pouting all by himself on the bench. ;D

That's kinda sick man...

Los Broncos
09-07-2009, 05:04 PM
You gotta stay off that Tequila.

baja
09-07-2009, 05:11 PM
I don't get this. Take for instance Mike Vick. From all accounts, he was loved in the locker room, you know he played all out on the field, put his body on the line all the time, etc.

But wouldn't we agree that he is/was a sleaze ball?

<b>Point being; your 2 "camps" are not mutually exclusive.</b> I'm sure there have been a lot of off-the-field douche bags who played with heart, etc, when they walked onto the field.

You are right. It's not clear cut, for example i loved Romo on our team but he was somewhat a sleaze bag. I liked Lyle Alzado too. I guess if they come to play football and are not hoodlums than it's good with me.

baja
09-07-2009, 05:13 PM
That's kinda sick man...

Aw stop. ya think you can bait me that easy. You're better than that Rev.

extralife
09-07-2009, 05:31 PM
Perfect parallel with Marshall.

Insanely talented, remarkably productive, off-field issues and a recent injury concern.

Except Merriman cheated.

watermock
09-07-2009, 05:32 PM
Actally Baja, it's assinine to to poject the he was twittering in '08.

And he DOES wear a monitor/feed.

Unless you know, STFU.

400HZ
09-07-2009, 05:36 PM
Boltaneer and Xenos beat me to it. Kevin Acee somehow makes a living reporting conjecture even after years of constantly being proved wrong. His sources suck but he treats the information they feed him like unequivocal fact. His latest article on Merriman states that AJ Smith may be looking to dump him even before the season is over based on this incident with the professional attention whore even as her story is looking shakier and shakier as more information comes out.

I don't have any special insight into Merriman's contract status, but just looking at it from a common sense point of view you have to believe that there haven't been any final determinations yet. For one, a failure to extend the CBA keeps him in San Diego for one more year. Second, his post-surgury effectiveness has not been determined yet. He could lose a step or he could return to his old form and help the entire defense return to its 06-07 level. That obviously plays an important role in his future with the team, or possibly in setting his market value in a trade scenario. Third, the franchise tag for a linebacker is $8.3 million dollars and AJ Smith isn't stupid.

broncofan2438
09-07-2009, 05:37 PM
who cares....get him outta this league

baja
09-07-2009, 05:50 PM
Actally Baja, it's assinine to to poject the he was twittering in '08.

And he DOES wear a monitor/feed.

Unless you know, STFU.

Mock what the hell are you referring too. Help me out here.

Florida_Bronco
09-07-2009, 05:56 PM

You're a sissy ass poster.

boltaneer
09-07-2009, 06:07 PM
Boltaneer and Xenos beat me to it. Kevin Acee somehow makes a living reporting conjecture even after years of constantly being proved wrong. His sources suck but he treats the information they feed him like unequivocal fact. His latest article on Merriman states that AJ Smith may be looking to dump him even before the season is over based on this incident with the professional attention whore even as her story is looking shakier and shakier as more information comes out.

I don't have any special insight into Merriman's contract status, but just looking at it from a common sense point of view you have to believe that there haven't been any final determinations yet. For one, a failure to extend the CBA keeps him in San Diego for one more year. Second, his post-surgury effectiveness has not been determined yet. He could lose a step or he could return to his old form and help the entire defense return to its 06-07 level. That obviously plays an important role in his future with the team, or possibly in setting his market value in a trade scenario. Third, the franchise tag for a linebacker is $8.3 million dollars and AJ Smith isn't stupid.

Great points. Because of the uncertainty of the CBA, it's almost unthinkable that they would trade him this season before the trade deadline.

If he knee isn't thrashed, he's going to be a Charger in 2010, whether it be because of the CBA, franchise tag or contract extension.

Acee just says some inexplicably stupid things sometimes.

And now we take you back to the Jay Cutler show...

baja
09-07-2009, 06:23 PM
What would the Charger boards be like if Rivers was now the QB for another team??

boltaneer
09-07-2009, 06:53 PM
What would the Charger boards be like if Rivers was now the QB for another team??

Charger boards went through a similar thing when Brees left. But it wasn't even close to the insanity here. Random threads didn't turn into Brees/Rivers arguments.

scorpio
09-07-2009, 06:53 PM
Mock what the hell are you referring too. Help me out here.

buy a vowel dimwit

<3

400HZ
09-07-2009, 06:59 PM
Charger boards went through a similar thing when Brees left. But it wasn't even close to the insanity here. Random threads didn't turn into Brees/Rivers arguments.

Brees is twice the quarterback that Cutler is, too. Of course, they didn't try to replace him with Kyle Orton either so that eased the anxiety. :rofl:

Popps
09-07-2009, 07:00 PM

Exactly.

San Diego was an up and down team last year, and they still put up a decent fight against Pittsburgh.

They could improve, or implode this year. If its the latter, imagine how wide open this division could be.

Xenos
09-07-2009, 10:58 PM
Probably because there were a lot of fans who didn't think Brees could be a starting QB in the league. I was mixed on the issue until 2005 when I started to notice his deficiencies in certain games. His arm strength being his biggest knock. Teams would stack 8 to 9 men in the box and dare Brees to beat them and he had trouble against those types of schemes. Fortunately, he got over that phase and prove everyone, including myself, wrong. Now if only he can do a better job in the fourth quarter when behind...

Also fans had two years to warm up to a first round QB. The guy was expected to replace Brees anyways so it wasn't as dramatic as Cutler leaving.

If anything, it was sorta like the Plummer/Cutler situation in 2006.

JCMElway
09-07-2009, 11:33 PM
lol. If you had any shred of "positive optimism" after the last three seasons, you were the owner of the orangest-tinted glasses i have ever encountered--and i've worn some really orange ones.

I mean, i've been following the broncos, literally, since 1960. I even managed to whip up optimism about the broncos in the 60's each offseason (of course i was younger then) and that was quite an accomplishment. I managed it again for several years after our post-superbowl descent into perennial mediocrity.

But i finally had to take my orange glasses off the last few years. Our team sucked and it was going to continue sucking until someone took our d seriously. That meant tearing the team up and starting a bunch of it over.

The success of the repair of the broncos is, in the long run, not going to be decided by whether cutler is a franchise qb or whether he is a whiny drunk who showed up for the buffalo game hung over.

I'm more optimistic now than i have been for some years. At least there is a chance we will improve. As it was, we were going to remain mired in mediocrity unchanged. Maybe current management is doing a terrible job. Maybe they are doing a great job. We'll know in another couple of years.

In the meantime, i'll do my best not to drive management out of town with constant whining and harping. You may think firing mcdaniels is a peachy idea. But the next management change is going to be just as painful as this one has been. I want this management to succeed and bring us some more superbowls.

^ this. +1

400HZ
09-08-2009, 02:17 AM
Shawne deserves a suspension just for hanging out with this freakshow.

Tila Tequila Twitter page:

•I fear nothing and no one. You know that. God saw everything and God will always know the truth.....Only the truth behind those curtains....

•The lights went out & all I see is ur face,the one I once admired, adored, filled w/love & embrace. Thou hurt thy neighbor fall from grace..

•Bring it.

•I have a baggage with me loaded with interesting truths inside of it.....

•Tomorrow....I get to speak. God Bless....xox

•But regardless, this was not a DUI charge or anything to do with alcohol....but props for spinning it that way...Tomorrow the truth comes.

•If a person was frantically trying 2 leave a place, Y do u think they were trying 2 leave? What action could 1 do to force them stay? hmm...

•If a person was frantically trying 2 leave a place, Y do u think they were trying 2 leave? What action could 1 do to force them stay? hmm...

•Steroid use makes people act aggressive....known fact.

•I haven't release an official statement on what happened yet because I didn't lie, so no need to release 3 statements to "cover" myself....

•Like I said...I am not worried because the truth shall reveal itself soon. God bless you all....

•There is only one reason why I was running for my life.....why was I stopped? Hmmm....maybe the truth didnt want to leave the house....

•Just wait til the whole story comes out. I am letting them talk and bash me all they want. I dont care. I know the truth. and it will come..

•How come there were no reports on me taking a "breathalizer" test to prove I was "drunk"? Just alleged accusations? hmmmmmm........

•And how could they "prevent me from driving" when I didn't have a car?? I I had the driver the entire time....HMM??? if so..where is my car?

•Judgment day tomorrow.......GOD BLESS YOU!

BroncoMan4ever
09-08-2009, 02:22 AM
hell if he is out in SD, bring him in. i hate his guts but if he can get past the injury, he would be a food guy to have on the team

Florida_Bronco
09-08-2009, 03:00 AM

•I fear nothing and no one. You know that. God saw everything and God will always know the truth.....Only the truth behind those curtains....

•The lights went out & all I see is ur face,the one I once admired, adored, filled w/love & embrace. Thou hurt thy neighbor fall from grace..

•Bring it.

•But regardless, this was not a DUI charge or anything to do with alcohol....but props for spinning it that way...Tomorrow the truth comes.

•I haven't release an official statement on what happened yet because I didn't lie, so no need to release 3 statements to "cover" myself....

•Like I said...I am not worried because the truth shall reveal itself soon. God bless you all....

•There is only one reason why I was running for my life.....why was I stopped? Hmmm....maybe the truth didnt want to leave the house....

•Just wait til the whole story comes out. I am letting them talk and bash me all they want. I dont care. I know the truth. and it will come..

•How come there were no reports on me taking a "breathalizer" test to prove I was "drunk"? Just alleged accusations? hmmmmmm........

•And how could they "prevent me from driving" when I didn't have a car?? I I had the driver the entire time....HMM??? if so..where is my car?

Sounds like one looney bitch.

rastaman
09-08-2009, 06:15 AM

Why not have 8 sessions "Tag team" women beat down at half time for all the Bronco home games! :wiggle:

broncofan7
09-08-2009, 07:58 AM

•Bring it.

Looks like Merriman and his lawyer(s) are going to have to do a better job of PR..........

TheReverend
09-08-2009, 08:21 AM

Ugh, any chance we can find someone massive and get him to choke her?

ShutDownPoster
09-08-2009, 11:13 AM

I dont think there are any 280 lb nasty pass rushing LB's on our squad as of now, is there?

Say what you will about him, but Denver wishes we had a nasty guy like that on our line.

BroncoMan4ever
09-08-2009, 11:45 AM

Chargers fans had been knowing for a couple seasons that the plan was to replace Brees with Rivers. the switch wasn't a huge shock when it finally came. it might have sucked for fans who were fans of Brees, but everyone knew it was going to eventually happen. in Denver it just happened, no warning.

BroncoMan4ever
09-08-2009, 11:48 AM
I dont think there are any 280 lb nasty pass rushing LB's on our squad as of now, is there?

Say what you will about him, but Denver wishes we had a nasty guy like that on our line.

i agree. put Doom on the weak side, and Merriman on the strong side and let QBs tremble in fear.

Boltjolt
09-08-2009, 12:29 PM

•Bring it.

Think thats bad? This came from her myspace page. Chick is a whacko

"You people probably won't even be able to read this because my page is so cluttered...sooo...imma blab a little bit here...hoping you won't read it. Here we go: i like people who are really f@#@#d up. I mean like tormented in one way or another because then i won't feel like such a freak around those that are "normal." nerds, geeks, and freaks are all my friends. Cool people are pretty damn lame. I am very high strung and suffer from multiple personalities. Jane. She's crazy and she always wants to kill me. Tila...poor girl..she works so hard and always wants to make others happy...she deserves a break. I haven't had boyfriend for so long. I always want one, but when there is one around i run. I'm too busy. I love being in love but i hate the consequences. I do a lot of things that are self destructive. I try not to. I like being at home alone...a lot! So much more fun than surrounding myself with a bunch of wacko's out there. I am also bi-polar so that should explain my irratic postings. I like to read. I love to read. I am a nerd. I've always been a nerdy geek trapped inside a umm...woman's body. Yea....that's me. People love me for some reason. I don't know why...i do but i just say i don't know why just to be modest. I want to be a multi-millionaire by the time i reach 25 years of age. And i will."

PRBronco
09-08-2009, 12:32 PM
Damn it, where is her tuesday "judgement day" bombshell?

WolfpackGuy
09-08-2009, 12:57 PM
He shoulda broken her thumbs off.

JJJ
09-08-2009, 01:11 PM
No suspension for this nonsense coming. Now SM is just really pissed off. Poor JeMarcus.

boltaneer
09-08-2009, 01:29 PM
Damn it, where is her tuesday "judgement day" bombshell?

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g142/chel619316/jamieduke-1.jpg

PRBronco
09-08-2009, 02:07 PM
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g142/chel619316/jamieduke-1.jpg

Lol, that's exactly what I pictured when I read about her "judgement day" on pft.

boltaneer
09-08-2009, 02:27 PM
Lol, that's exactly what I pictured when I read about her "judgement day" on pft.

The rumor is that she has something related to steroids to reveal.

PRBronco
09-08-2009, 02:31 PM
The rumor is that she has something related to steroids to reveal.

Yeah, too bad she's already thrashed any credibility she might have had by looking like even more of a tweaker.

Here's how it would go down:
TT: I saw steroids!
Merriman: Don't believe her, here, look at this internet.
Goodell: I've seen enough. As you were, Merry Man.