PDA

View Full Version : Can you see it now? I can...

Bronco Yoda
09-07-2009, 12:07 PM
We're going to start off slow. New coaching staff, key injuries off the bat and playing on the road. We've been spoiled for years by starting off red hot.

Many of you crybabies will jump ship. Secretly wishing for a horrible season so that you can at least say 'I told you all so". Sad but true..... I can see it now.

This team will continue to improve and start showing some ugly but gritty wins. QB controversy will be there but all other areas are showing life.

The crybabies will start to show their faces again...peeking in here and there testing the waters. But they'll have too much negative investment to jump back on right away.

We finish the season on a strong note 8-8. Don't make the playoffs but feel better about the team.

By now the Cutler fans come back around to visit but are still splitting their time on their new Bears message boards.They've adopted strange reversable jerseys with Cutler in Denver O&B on one side (to cry themselves to sleep at night) and the Bears O&B colors on the other to root their new team onward.

The McD haters are now on Shanny watch to see which team he coach's. Some team out there is about to get a few more fans they never knew they had out there.....

Draft time comes and we all b**** and moan about 'THAT' draft choice that was used up last year... We roll the dice on a QB...

Clayton writes artilce that we've improved some... predicts we'll go 4-12 in 2010...

Pick Six
09-07-2009, 12:10 PM
Many of you crybabies will jump ship. But secretly wishing for a horrible season so that you can at least say 'I told you all so". Sad but true..... I can see it now.

Some of them already have jumped ship...:rofl:

TheDave
09-07-2009, 12:12 PM
another bad fan / good fan thread.... Awesome :thumbs:

Los Broncos
09-07-2009, 12:15 PM
Judging fans good or bad, just when things seemed to be headed in the right direction.

Bronco Yoda
09-07-2009, 12:16 PM
Yup, time to buckle up little campers... it's going to be a bumpy ride

Rock Chalk
09-07-2009, 12:18 PM
I thought it was great satire.

But apparently Yoda, the plebeians don't know what Satire is :)

Bronco Yoda
09-07-2009, 12:21 PM
you know me better than that.... but yah, I'm in a mood today. This season can't start fast enough for me.

Bronx33
09-07-2009, 12:21 PM

Good thing about bumpy rides is it throws out all the whiney bitches for awhile until the team does better. ;)

Miss I.
09-07-2009, 12:29 PM

I love a good bumpy ride. Why do you think girls like dryers that are just ever so slightly unbalanced (for that matter, I seem to like unbalanced guys too, which explains come to think of it)....just saying...;D

Bronx33
09-07-2009, 12:32 PM
I love a good bumpy ride. Why do you think girls like dryers that are just ever so slightly unbalanced (for that matter, I seem to like unbalanced guys too, which explains come to think of it)....just saying...;D

Stop you're turning me on.

SoCalBronco
09-07-2009, 12:32 PM
By now the Cutler fans come back around to visit but are still splitting their time on their new Bears message boards.

I'm pretty sure no one's going to a Bears message board. By the same token, however, if things don't go well, you'll hear it early and often from us. After all, it was the homers who represented to us that McD was the best thing since sliced bread and him establishing his authority was somehow more important than keeping Cutler. Ok. Well....now he can show us just how valuable he is. If he doesn't come out of the gate with wins left and right, he'll deserve all the **** he catches.....and he'll be getting a ton of it. Count on it.

Meck77
09-07-2009, 12:35 PM
Fair enough SoCal. Just do us a favor and keep your 15 inch dill with aides on hold until we're officially eliminated from the playoff will ya?

Miss I.
09-07-2009, 12:37 PM
Stop you're turning me on.

Umm, you are a guy so doesn't a box of cereal or pretty much everything turn you on? :kiss:

SoCalBronco
09-07-2009, 12:37 PM
Fair enough SoCal. Just do us a favor and keep your 15 inch dill with aides on hold until we're officially eliminated from the playoff will ya?

I can't promise that.

I just can't, man.

ROFL!

Bronx33
09-07-2009, 12:41 PM
Umm, you are a guy so doesn't a box of cereal or pretty much everything turn you on? :kiss:

A stiff breeze gets me going whats your point ;).....

Miss I.
09-07-2009, 12:51 PM
A stiff breeze gets me going whats your point ;).....

Didn't really have one, just jacking...um the thread for a moment. I now return you all to your regularly scheduled send up of the regularly occuring battles between the McFans, the Cutler Widows and the others left standing. :peace:

Chris
09-07-2009, 12:51 PM
As good as it feels to read this I can't help but think by starting threads we're being no better than the "other side" (the vast percentage of whom spend all their time trying to rile us up).

BroncoBuff
09-07-2009, 12:59 PM
I'm a tad worried about how Josh will react to a few losses.

He hasn't experienced losing in a VERY long time, and we saw him getting churlish after just the Bears preseason loss. I hope he can keep his cool. It could get ugly for awhile.

Bronx33
09-07-2009, 01:02 PM
I'm a tad worried about how Josh will react to a few losses.

He hasn't experienced losing in a VERY long time, and we saw him getting churlish after just the Bears preseason loss. I hope he can keep his cool. It could get ugly for awhile.

I hope he absolutely hates losing ;)

Durango
09-07-2009, 01:04 PM
I'm pretty sure no one's going to a Bears message board. By the same token, however, if things don't go well, you'll hear it early and often from us. After all, it was the homers who represented to us that McD was the best thing since sliced bread and him establishing his authority was somehow more important than keeping Cutler. Ok. Well....now he can show us just how valuable he is. If he doesn't come out of the gate with wins left and right, he'll deserve all the **** he catches.....and he'll be getting a ton of it. Count on it.

It seems the apologists have shifted now from the 'wait until he coaches a game' strategy to "hey, tough scheudle, injuries, new coach, new system, Bengals inproved, bad calls, great catch, great throw, fluke". Whatever suits the moment and oh, there will be some moments.

It wasn't posters on message boards, or fans on the streets who bellowed this 'we don't re-build, we expect to win now' garbage. That was Bowlen and McDaniels. In defense, some of you say they couldn't say anything else, and that's absolutely wrong. Setting realistic goals in sports is as imperative as it is in business. It wouldn't have been offensive to anyone if Bowlen and the new ball boy had simply said there's work to do, and we're all looking forward to getting it done.

No, instead it's 'win now'. It's not like they have fool someone into buying tickets. Well fine. We should expect what the owner expects and the only concession I've heard him make it that he doubts Denver will contend for the Super Bowl.

spdirty
09-07-2009, 01:06 PM
Took a blood oath to the Broncos, Buffs, and Nuggets when I was 7, so I can't switch.

Its pathetic to switch, worse than cheating on your wife. And if i was able to make it through the pathetic lean Nuggets years I can sure as hell make it through the McDaniels era.

Also. Im pretty ****in sure that at least 95% of the "Cutler widows" would a helluva lot rather be HEARING I told you so than saying it.

TheDave
09-07-2009, 01:09 PM
Took a blood oath to the Broncos, Buffs, and Nuggets when I was 7, so I can't switch.

Its pathetic to switch, worse than cheating on your wife. And if i was able to make it through the pathetic lean Nuggets years I can sure as hell make it through the McDaniels era.

Also. Im pretty ****in sure that at least 95% of the "Cutler widows" would a helluva lot rather be HEARING I told you so than saying it.

Exactly!

NYBronco
09-07-2009, 01:21 PM
Bring it on (as if we can do anything about it) and let's see where we end up.
Go Broncos.

Bronco Yoda
09-07-2009, 10:07 PM
You know what set me off today. This little so called Bronco fan who owns a small sports shop in a mall that showed up to my BBQ today.

It was supposed to be only a handful of few people coming over today. Considering my new grill and island I'm building is still in pieces strewn next to my pergola. My old portable charcoal grill wasn't up for 50 people! Friends, neighbors, relatives, strangers decended on my house like locus today!

... and then my my wifes friends husband had to open his crybaby mouth...

...enforming in a taunting way that the Broncos will go winless because Cutlers gone.

I ask him what Broncos jersey's he's offering now in his shop (didn't have squat for the Broncos last I checked) and he tells me nothing. We no longer have anyone on the offense. I told him I'd like a Clady or Hillis Jersey. He asked me Clady who?

ok, I was already stressed because I needed to make an emergency run to the store for more meat and beer.... but I gotta tell ya. I had visions of beating this crybaby fan to near death with a BBQ spatula.

But instead, I fired up the trusty George Foreman grill (I know not very BBQy) went into my office, vented here with a quick post, made a quick stop to the store and smiled as I dished out the food and drinks.

Clady who?..... I sorta burnt his burger to a charcoal crisp.... whooops.

BroncoBuff
09-07-2009, 10:13 PM
Listen guys, get real ... Josh gets a total pass this year.

WAAAY too many changes to hold him to much of a standard.

2010 will be the year.

SonOfLe-loLang
09-07-2009, 10:13 PM

Patience is virtuous. If the broncos dont improve at all throughout the season and go 3-13, bitch all you want. But if they steadily improve, play good football in the last half of the season, don't make up excuses about why they are bad.

Though i know you guys will anyway.

tsiguy96
09-07-2009, 10:14 PM
am i the only one that thinks calling someone out for being a homer or "apologist" is absolutely stupid?

orinjkrush
09-07-2009, 10:15 PM
i will watch every game. i will watch the blood the sweat and the tears.
i will sit on the edge of my musty worn couch.
i will scream at missed tackles.
i will extend my fists at every point scored.
i will drink my dos equis. (for i am the most interesting man in the world.)
parlez vous? Здравствуйте!
go broncos!

Durango
09-07-2009, 11:38 PM
am i the only one that thinks calling someone out for being a homer or "apologist" is absolutely stupid?

A homer isn't necessarily an apologist and vice versa, but then you would know that. Well, check that, you probably wouldn't, but anyway, the same people spouting the 'wait till they play the games' and 'give him a chance' seem to now believe that 'chance' extends to somewhere between 8 games and three years. How stupid is that?

tsiguy96
09-08-2009, 12:09 AM
A homer isn't necessarily an apologist and vice versa, but then you would know that. Well, check that, you probably wouldn't, but anyway, the same people spouting the 'wait till they play the games' and 'give him a chance' seem to now believe that 'chance' extends to somewhere between 8 games and three years. How stupid is that?

a homer is someone who loves the team, and no amount of bad **** happening will stop them from being optimistic about the season...even if its unreasonable.

an apologist makes excuses for everything that is perceived as bad by the fans. at this point, we dont know what exactly is bad and what isnt. sure cutler is gone, its not 100% mcd's fault, i think most would admit that, even if people like me think it was barely his fault at all (i still think they shoulda said see you in camp, but its over with so im not gonna rehash).

call me a homer all you want, until the team actually fails on the field, i will always be optimistic. however as the team is playing and we start to see the faults, there is no problem with calling it out at that time. we just have to see it on the field.

DBroncos4life
09-08-2009, 12:39 AM
Who can take a sunrise,
Sprinkle it with dew
Cover it in chocolate and a miracle or two
The super fan
The super fan can
The super fan can, cause he mixes it with love
And makes the world taste good

Who can take a rainbow,
Wrap it in a sigh
Soak it in the sun and make a strawberry-lemon pie
The super fan
The super fan can

The super fan makes everything he bakes
Satisfying and delicious
Talk about your childhood wishes
You can even eat the dishes

Who can take tomorrow,
Dip it in a dream
Separate the sorrow and collect up all the cream
The super fan
The super fan can
The super fan can, 'cause he mixes it with love

And the world tastes good
Because the super fan thinks it should

Taco John
09-08-2009, 12:56 AM
Who can take a sunrise,
Sprinkle it with dew
The super fan
The super fan can

Who can take a rainbow,
Wrap it in a sigh
The super fan
The super fan can

Satisfying and delicious

Who can take tomorrow,
Dip it in a dream
The super fan
The super fan can

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v482/whitetrashbbq/winner-win.jpg

Ha!

footstepsfrom#27
09-08-2009, 01:22 AM
Many of you crybabies will jump ship. Secretly wishing for a horrible season so that you can at least say 'I told you all so". Sad but true..... I can see it now.
Real Bronco fans don't use other fans frustrations to call their loyalty into question.

lex
09-08-2009, 02:02 AM

2010 will be the year.

You dont get a pass for self created problems. Two significant ones come to mind with one being the Cutler situation. Bowlen may give him a pass (at least until it hits his pocket book if it does) but the fans wont.

lex
09-08-2009, 02:05 AM
Patience is virtuous. If the broncos dont improve at all throughout the season and go 3-13, b**** all you want. But if they steadily improve, play good football in the last half of the season, don't make up excuses about why they are bad.

Though i know you guys will anyway.

They need to win.

TailgateNut
09-08-2009, 07:15 AM

Please show me a link to the post of "the homer" who stated that "that McD was the best thing since sliced bread and him establishing his authority was somehow more important than keeping Cutler".

It's the BS, sixth sense and doomsday predictions which get under my skin.

TailgateNut
09-08-2009, 07:18 AM
you know what set me off today. This little so called bronco fan who owns a small sports shop in a mall that showed up to my bbq today.

It was supposed to be only a handful of few people coming over today. Considering my new grill and island i'm building is still in pieces strewn next to my pergola. My old portable charcoal grill wasn't up for 50 people! Friends, neighbors, relatives, strangers decended on my house like locus today!

... And then my my wifes friends husband had to open his crybaby mouth...

...enforming in a taunting way that the broncos will go winless because cutlers gone.

I ask him what broncos jersey's he's offering now in his shop (didn't have squat for the broncos last i checked) and he tells me nothing. We no longer have anyone on the offense. I told him i'd like a clady or hillis jersey. He asked me clady who?

Ok, i was already stressed because i needed to make an emergency run to the store for more meat and beer.... But i gotta tell ya. I had visions of beating this crybaby fan to near death with a bbq spatula.

But instead, i fired up the trusty george foreman grill (i know not very bbqy) went into my office, vented here with a quick post, made a quick stop to the store and smiled as i dished out the food and drinks.

Clady who?..... I sorta burnt his burger to a charcoal crisp.... Whooops.

^5

TheReverend
09-08-2009, 07:22 AM

Hahaha, I forgot about that.

"No one is above the team! Everyone gets treated the same"

In front of the other players, sure... behind closed doors? Hilarious!Hilarious!Hilarious!

tsiguy96
09-08-2009, 07:24 AM
Hahaha, I forgot about that.

"No one is above the team! Everyone gets treated the same"

In front of the other players, sure... behind closed doors? Hilarious!Hilarious!Hilarious!

It would appeac that it definitely happens behind closed doors or cutler would still be here

TheReverend
09-08-2009, 07:42 AM
It would appeac that it definitely happens behind closed doors or cutler would still be here

And you don't trade franchise QBs.

You just don't.

So reassuring him that he wouldn't be traded would've been a no-brainer.

Unfortunately, our FO apparently also has no brains, so they tied, and the coin-flip went the wrong way.

TailgateNut
09-08-2009, 07:47 AM
And you don't trade franchise QBs.

You just don't.

So reassuring him that he wouldn't be traded would've been a no-brainer.

Unfortunately, our FO apparently also has no brains, so they tied, and the coin-flip went the wrong way.

"Franchise QB".:spit:

doesn't that imply that he's also dedicated to the FRANCHISE?

He obviously wasn't, or he wouldn't have asked to be traded, and he would have returned calls and made an effort to work out the any differences.

TheReverend
09-08-2009, 07:54 AM
"Franchise QB".:spit:

doesn't that imply that he's also dedicated to the FRANCHISE?

He obviously wasn't, or he wouldn't have asked to be traded, and he would have returned calls and made an effort to work out the any differences.

That's a trip...

So the guy who played through undiagnosed type 1 diabetes because the Medical staff was so f'ing incompetent they didn't think to do bloodwork after losing over 30lbs in under two months, and NEVER trashing anyone in the organization about it... clearly he didn't give a **** about the franchise. The guy who's also suggested he'd be happy to restructure to keep his 06 draft class around. Yes, he clearly had a blatant disregard for the franchise.

Or do you just mean after McD and the FO took a crap on him all off-season? That I'd agree with.

TailgateNut
09-08-2009, 08:03 AM
That's a trip...

So the guy who played through undiagnosed type 1 diabetes because the Medical staff was so f'ing incompetent they didn't think to do bloodwork after losing over 30lbs in under two months, and NEVER trashing anyone in the organization about it... clearly he didn't give a **** about the franchise. The guy who's also suggested he'd be happy to restructure to keep his 06 draft class around. Yes, he clearly had a blatant disregard for the franchise.

Or do you just mean after McD and the FO took a crap on him all off-season? That I'd agree with.

Does your back hurt after shoveling **** all day, every day?

Just curious.

TheReverend
09-08-2009, 08:08 AM
Does your back hurt after shoveling **** all day, every day?

Just curious.

Awesome retort to facts that 100% refute your earlier lie.

Well done.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
09-08-2009, 08:14 AM
Awesome retort to facts that 100% refute your earlier lie.

Well done.

Don't forget, buddy. That boy you cry for, that you miss every night? He called you a six.

Ouch.

TailgateNut
09-08-2009, 08:22 AM
Were you a fly on the wall in the exam room when/ if ****ler made the med staff aware of his health issues, or do you have access to his medical files?
Type 1 diabets is often diagnosed when other medical issues emerge. Generally doctors do not test for diabetes unless prompted due to associated conditions.

"Symptoms
Some people will have no symptoms before they are diagnosed with diabetes.

Others may notice these symptoms as the first signs of type 1 diabetes, or when the blood sugar is high:

Feeling tired or fatigued
Feeling hungry
Being very thirsty
Urinating more often
Losing weight without trying
Having blurry eyesight
Losing the feeling or feeling tingling in your feet
For others, warning symptoms that they are becoming very sick may be the first signs of type 1 diabetes, or may happen when the blood sugar is very high (see: diabetic ketoacidosis):

Deep, rapid breathing
Dry skin and mouth
Flushed face
Fruity breath odor
Nausea or vomiting, unable to keep down fluids
Stomach pain"

How many of these symtoms did ****ler have and how many of these did the Bronce medical staff know about?

TheReverend
Don't forget, buddy. That boy you cry for, that you miss every night? He called you a six.

Ouch.

Oh no! I take everything I'm only indirectly involved in so personally!

DrFate

So if he takes an 8-8 team and, after waving his Patriot wand, the team wins 4 games - he gets a pass? I'm not sure I follow...

TheReverend
09-08-2009, 08:27 AM
Were you a fly on the wall in the exam room when/ if ****ler made the med staff aware of his health issues, or do you have access to his medical files?
Type 1 diabets is often diagnosed when other medical issues emerge. Generally doctors do not test for diabetes unless prompted due to associated conditions.

"Symptoms
Some people will have no symptoms before they are diagnosed with diabetes.

Others may notice these symptoms as the first signs of type 1 diabetes, or when the blood sugar is high:

Feeling tired or fatigued
Feeling hungry
Being very thirsty
Urinating more often
Losing weight without trying
Having blurry eyesight
Losing the feeling or feeling tingling in your feet
For others, warning symptoms that they are becoming very sick may be the first signs of type 1 diabetes, or may happen when the blood sugar is very high (see: diabetic ketoacidosis):

Deep, rapid breathing
Dry skin and mouth
Flushed face
Fruity breath odor
Nausea or vomiting, unable to keep down fluids
Stomach pain"

How many of these symtoms did ****ler have and how many of these did the Bronce medical staff know about?

If you're really this stupid, perhaps we can get a sponsorship program going for you.

30 lbs. Under 2 months. Staff wrote it off as stress.

Let's pretend that was the only known symptom, despite articles about him barely being able to wake up, feeling so weak he wasn't sure if he could play, or being thirsty, because we're not certain all that was known to the staff.

The weight loss was, and that alone SHOULD warrant a full physical, or at least a casual inquiry into other symptoms he might be feeling.

I'm CERTAIN I could've done a better job diagnosing him with WebMD than these morons could.

TailgateNut
09-08-2009, 08:34 AM
If you're really this stupid, perhaps we can get a sponsorship program going for you.

Let's pretend that was the only known symptom, despite articles about him barely being able to wake up, feeling so weak he wasn't sure if he could play, or being thirsty, because we're not certain all that was known to the staff.

The weight loss was, and that alone SHOULD warrant a full physical, or at least a casual inquiry into other symptoms he might be feeling.

I'm CERTAIN I could've done a better job diagnosing him with WebMD than these morons could.

....and Cun tler had no personal responsibility in checking with his doctor? Of course, in your minute mind, once a player is on the team the team doctor, who's main responsibility is diagnosis and treatment of sports injuries should be held reponsible for non-sports related ailments.

Your man crush is sickening, bit I'll give you a pass due to your "preferences":wiggle:

TheReverend
09-08-2009, 08:37 AM
....and Cun tler had no personal responsibility in checking with his doctor? Of course, in your minute mind, once a player is on the team the team doctor, who's main responsibility is diagnosis and treatment of sports injuries should be held reponsible for non-sports related ailments.

Your man crush is sickening, bit I'll give you a pass due to your "preferences":wiggle:

Can you do me a favor and explain to me how losing 30 lbs isn't sports related? I'm aware that it wasn't CAUSED by sports, but it's a pretty noticeable and staggering effect.

I'm not religious, but I'm gonna head out to the closest church now and give thanks that I'm not related to you.

Brb

TheReverend
09-08-2009, 08:38 AM
PS. "Cun tler" I see what you did there... very mature.

TailgateNut
09-08-2009, 08:41 AM
PS. "Cun tler" I see what you did there... very mature.

You DO catch on quicklyROFL! I just call "a spade, a spade".

TheReverend
09-08-2009, 08:44 AM

There's no need to get racial.

Miss I.
09-08-2009, 11:46 AM

A spade, a spade? Um you called a QB a girl part name? Are you confused about what body parts belong to who? Because if you were calling Cutler what he is, I think DICK is the word you are looking for? or how about Cockler?

I don't care if you don't like Cutler, frankly I am not all that pleased with any of it, but at this point, what's done is done. McDaniels has about 2 maybe 3 seasons to prove he's not a wash. Trading Cutler was a mistake, but I also think Jay helped create that situation because he wasn't happy with the way the past 3 seasons went, losing Shannahan or the hiring of McD. I am sorry to see him go for the loss at that position, but as a person I think he's not someone I would want to hang out with being that immature, but he has time to grow up, unfortunately for us that will be in Chicago.

We will recover and eventually get another QB, I have no doubt. San Diego had Drew Brees and got Philip Rivers (both very good QBs).

TailgateNut
09-08-2009, 12:14 PM
A spade, a spade? Um you called a QB a girl part name? Are you confused about what body parts belong to who? Because if you were calling Cutler what he is, I think DICK is the word you are looking for? or how about Cockler?

I don't care if you don't like Cutler, frankly I am not all that pleased with any of it, but at this point, what's done is done. McDaniels has about 2 maybe 3 seasons to prove he's not a wash. Trading Cutler was a mistake, but I also think Jay helped create that situation because he wasn't happy with the way the past 3 seasons went, losing Shannahan or the hiring of McD. I am sorry to see him go for the loss at that position, but as a person I think he's not someone I would want to hang out with being that immature, but he has time to grow up, unfortunately for us that will be in Chicago.

We will recover and eventually get another QB, I have no doubt. San Diego had Drew Brees and got Philip Rivers (both very good QBs).

It's an old saying, and it's better than calling "a ****, a ****". Nes Pas?

Bronco Yoda
09-08-2009, 04:27 PM
who can take a sunrise,
sprinkle it with dew
cover it in chocolate and a miracle or two
the super fan
the super fan can
the super fan can, cause he mixes it with love
and makes the world taste good

who can take a rainbow,
wrap it in a sigh
soak it in the sun and make a strawberry-lemon pie
the super fan
the super fan can
the super fan can, cause he mixes it with love

the super fan makes everything he bakes
satisfying and delicious
talk about your childhood wishes
you can even eat the dishes

who can take tomorrow,
dip it in a dream
separate the sorrow and collect up all the cream
the super fan
the super fan can
the super fan can, 'cause he mixes it with love

and the world tastes good
because the super fan thinks it should

rep :)

colonelbeef
09-08-2009, 04:38 PM

2010 will be the year.

haha.

McDaniels is already on the hot seat, if Cutler plays well and this team loses, his ass will be crispy.

BroncoBuff
09-08-2009, 05:19 PM
Who can take a sunrise,
Sprinkle it with dew
The super fan
The super fan can

Who can take a rainbow,
Wrap it in a sigh
The super fan
The super fan can

Satisfying and delicious

Who can take tomorrow,
Dip it in a dream
The super fan
The super fan can

NICELY DONE! :flower:

BroncoBuff
09-08-2009, 05:23 PM
TGN, for what it's worth, I'm with Rev and Miss I., pal. That word has no place here.

I didn't like when Popps used it, and I don't when you or anybody else uses it :(

JMHO

lvwireman
09-08-2009, 05:41 PM
From Wikipedia (with similar information found in numerous other places):

The phrase was introduced to English in 1542 in Nicolas Udall's translation of Erasmus, Apophthegmes, that is to saie, prompte saiynges. First gathered by Erasmus:

Philippus aunswered, that the Macedonians wer feloes of no fyne witte in their termes but altogether grosse, clubbyshe, and rusticall, as they whiche had not the witte to calle a spade by any other name then a spade.

The Oxford English Dictionary records a more forceful variant, "to call a spade a bloody shovel", attested since 1919.

The phrase predates the use of the word "spade" as an ethnic slur, which was not recorded in usage until 1928; however, in contemporary U.S. society, the idiom is often avoided due to potential confusion with the modern racial slur against African-Americans.[1].

TGN, for what it's worth, I'm with Rev and Miss I., pal. That word has no place here.

I didn't like when Popps used it, and I don't when you or anybody else uses it :(

JMHO

TheReverend
09-08-2009, 05:44 PM
From Wikipedia (with similar information found in numerous other places):

The phrase was introduced to English in 1542 in Nicolas Udall's translation of Erasmus, Apophthegmes, that is to saie, prompte saiynges. First gathered by Erasmus:

Philippus aunswered, that the Macedonians wer feloes of no fyne witte in their termes but altogether grosse, clubbyshe, and rusticall, as they whiche had not the witte to calle a spade by any other name then a spade.

The Oxford English Dictionary records a more forceful variant, "to call a spade a bloody shovel", attested since 1919.

The phrase predates the use of the word "spade" as an ethnic slur, which was not recorded in usage until 1928; however, in contemporary U.S. society, the idiom is often avoided due to potential confusion with the modern racial slur against African-Americans.[1].

LOL, I think he meant the "C" word and just lumped me in with Miss I accidentally.

BroncoBuff
09-08-2009, 05:45 PM
I was referring to the "C" word, but the "S" word is pretty bad too, Ivwire ... regardless of its innocuous medieval derivation.

BroncoBuff
09-08-2009, 05:45 PM
LOL, I think he meant the "C" word and just lumped me in with Miss I accidentally.

I thought post #52 indicated your disapproval ???

FireFly
09-08-2009, 06:06 PM
I don't think we will finish strong... at least in terms of wins. If we're going to get any wins, or come close to 8-8 we NEED to start fast, the schedule just becomes too brutal for us down the road.

I agree that we'll be a better team as the year progresses, but it won't show in the win-lose column

Bronco Yoda
09-08-2009, 06:11 PM
I was referring to the "C" word, but the "S" word is pretty bad too, Ivwire ... regardless of its innocuous medieval derivation.

How about the 'O' word? Does the 'S' word still have a bum ankle?

Houshyamama
09-08-2009, 06:15 PM

I couldn't help but think of this clip when I read that:

<div><object width="480" height="291" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000"><param name="movie" value="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/x9vouu_the-hangover-one-man-wolf-pack-spee_fun"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/x9vouu_the-hangover-one-man-wolf-pack-spee_fun" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="291" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always"></embed></object><br /><b><a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x9vouu_the-hangover-one-man-wolf-pack-spee_fun">The Hangover - One Man Wolf Pack Speech</a></b><br /><i>Uploaded by <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/BruceFan">BruceFan</a>. - <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/us/channel/fun">Watch more comedy videos and sitcoms. </a></i></div>

I will now read all your posts in a Zach Galifianakis voice

frerottenextelway
09-08-2009, 06:21 PM
It'll be just like everything else in life - those that need to go around telling everyone how much of a bigger fan they are will be the first ones to ditch the team if they disappoint.

TailgateNut
09-08-2009, 09:23 PM

Well, IMHO the C word describes J's behavior to a T ( the P word is way too nice ) and the saying "calling an S, an S" is in no way intended as a racial slur nor as a reference to race. It's aking to calling an A, and A, in lieu of calling an A, a donkey.

Regardless, don't get yer panties all bunched up, and if they are, pull them the F out.

jhat01
09-08-2009, 09:56 PM
but unicorn jizz is still ok right?

SonOfLe-loLang
09-08-2009, 11:40 PM

I agree. dont forget frequent urination, which is a tell tale sign. I lost 30 lbs in about 2 months though! Then again, i totally changed my diet and workout regimen and got real serious about my health. I doubt he did.

SonOfLe-loLang
09-08-2009, 11:43 PM
Well, IMHO the C word describes J's behavior to a T ( the P word is way too nice ) and the saying "calling an S, an S" is in no way intended as a racial slur nor as a reference to race. It's aking to calling an A, and A, in lieu of calling an A, a donkey.

Regardless, don't get yer panties all bunched up, and if they are, pull them the F out.

But i love the C word:(

Pick Six
09-09-2009, 09:20 AM
So if he takes an 8-8 team and, after waving his Patriot wand, the team wins 4 games - he gets a pass? I'm not sure I follow...

First year...yeah, he gets a pass...