PDA

View Full Version : Tom Brady kinda looks like...

Mogulseeker
09-06-2009, 07:52 PM
Not to fuel the start Brandstater fire, but I was searching quarterback scouting reports, and I found this one on why Tom Brady was drafted so low. Unspectacular, but one sentence stood out:

http://draftzoo.com/2009/08/re-drafting-tom-brady-where-would-he-go-now/

Re-Drafting Tom Brady: Where Would He Go Now?

There is no doubting Tom Brady. Whether you like the man, or hate the man, you had better respect the man. Brady is the example of an NFL draft steal, and has become one of the most decorated players in the history of the game. There is no doubting that Brady is one of the top players in the game, and his overall record and competitive nature says a lot about what he does for his team.

But the question still remains why such a good QB was taken so late in the same draft that took Chad Pennington as the top passer. In fact Tee Martin and Marc Bulger (a lesser known steal that was taken in the 6th round earlier than Brady), Chris Redman, Giovanni Carmazzi, and Spergn Wynn were all taken before Tom Brady, and most people don’t know why.

If you were to ask someone where Brady would be drafted in today’s standards, you would likely get a skewed answer guaranteeing a first overall pick, but if the same Brady was coming out by today’s standards, he would still not be a 1st round pick. But where would he really go?

Tom Brady was taken with the 199th pick in the 6th round of the draft. The Pats had to decide whether or not they wanted to take a backup for Drew Bledsoe in either Tim Rattay or in Tom Brady. They obviously took Brady and ten years later are excited to have Gisele’s man on the team. Few people know that much before he was drafted to the Patriots, he was drafted as a catcher in 95 to the Expos. That’s right folks, Brady was a catcher…

Brady is one of a string of QB’s that have recently been drafted from the University of Michigan. In fact three of the four QB’s to start before Brady at Michigan were drafted to the pros (Todd Collins, Elvis Grbac, and Brian Griese). Since Brady has left the same Michigan story has continued happening as Drew Henson, John Navarre, and Chad Henne have also been drafted. The fact of the matter is that the University of Michigan produces a ton of pro talent, and only three of the players were taken in the first three rounds. The school is a true breeding ground for late drafted QB’s.

But why was Brady, the 3 time Super Bowl champ taken in the 6th? Taking a look back to his draft reports, you will first find that there is very little info available now, and that his weaknesses are not terrible in today’s terms. Brady was touted highly for his highly competitive nature, and his ability to lead a team despite his flaws. Brady was also known for being a highly concentrated, smart player with good instincts and a good ability to learn and use plays. Brady was 6’4 and 211 pounds when he was measured at the combine. He also ran a terrible 5.26 40-time. In fact the only knocks that Brady had were in his thin size, and his speed. Brady ran a bad time, and was not a player who would be able to break away and run if pressured. Brady was also discounted slightly because of his arm strength. It wasn’t known as terrible, but it is to this day not a rocket launcher.

In summary Brady was given a 5-7th round grade because he had an average arm, a thin frame, and a non-athletic form, despite being a brilliant and competitive player. Brady was barely drafted and it obviously paid off for the Patriots. But the question remains whether or not Tom Brady really was that good, or whether he was just a lucky ducky that produced in a system that works well for him. But then again, maybe it’s both

Brady’s lack of elite arm strength and size (he has since bulked up and added some muscle) would have weeded him out of the running for a good half of the teams. His lack of speed and mobility (especially at the time as Michael Vick was the 2001 NFL draft’s first QB) would have taken out of the running to be drafted by another good percentage of the NFL teams. In reality Tom Brady may have been on only a few teams’ actual boards solely because of his flaws. You can be the best pocket QB in the world, but some teams (especially those with bad lines) don’t want to deal with you. In fact Brady might have been one of the best QB’s in the draft regardless of his flaws, but his need was low.

So the question remains where Brady would go if he were to be put into the 2010 draft. Brady would likely be thrown into the “system QB” debate a little bit because of his arm strength and mobility, but because the mobile QB’s have failed he might see a jump. Brady gives me the same feeling that both Tom Brandstater and Nate Davis give me. Brady’s measurable were pretty close to Brandstater who went at the top of round 6 in 2009’s draft. However since Brady had good success at a big school, It would likely have put him in the first three or four rounds. Brady’s “system” will likely end up close to the system that Colt McCoy will be drafted into, so perhaps a late first day to middle second day grade would be best.

Regardless though, Tom Brady is a brilliant QB who had done more than excel at QB for New England. The Patriots may have scuffed Brady’s three rings by allowing Matt “So-Cal Bench rider” Cassel to play well for the same team, but you can’t take too much away from Giselle’s wife husband. Brady was a steal because of what he has done for the sport of football, but he may not have been as big of a steal as most believe.

_Oro_
09-06-2009, 07:55 PM
I thought Orton was the one looking like Tom B.

Mogulseeker
09-06-2009, 07:56 PM

Tom B looks like Tom B :thumbsup:

Lev Vyvanse
09-06-2009, 07:59 PM
It's cool we have Mike Harman posting on the Mane.
http://draftzoo.com/2009/08/re-drafting-tom-brady-where-would-he-go-now/

TheDave
09-06-2009, 08:03 PM

That still makes me laugh... ;D

footstepsfrom#27
09-06-2009, 08:19 PM
It's been undersold or ignored, but handling 4 playbooks with 4 OC's in 4 years and simultaneously earning a masters degree as an academic achiever is no small feat. If we're looking for a guy with the intangibles, this dude seems to have them. A lot remains to be seen, but truthfully...in an era where most of these guys take basketweaving and have tests taken for them, this guy stands out as pretty sharp between the ears. Add in the physical traits we've seen and it looks promising.

Man-Goblin
09-06-2009, 08:39 PM
Okay analysis, for a while, I guess.

But then he says stupid **** like "you can be the best pocket QB in the world but some teams don't want to deal with you." Uh huh.

atomicbloke
09-06-2009, 11:54 PM
So if Tom Brady was playing, for say the Cowboys, then he would suck?

Mogulseeker
09-12-2009, 12:26 PM
So if Tom Brady was playing, for say the Cowboys, then he would suck?

If they didn't cater their system to Brady's skills, then maybe.

EDIT - The Cowboys have an offensive system that is catered to Brady's skills.

Brady wouldn't look too good in the Bears offense.

Bronx33
09-12-2009, 12:34 PM
Ohhhh how i miss the whiskey drunkin mighty smurf posts i just wanna know what happened to the MS we all know and love.

Mogulseeker
09-12-2009, 12:56 PM
Ohhhh how i miss the whiskey drunkin mighty smurf posts i just wanna know what happened to the MS we all know and love.

I've never even tried Whiskey. I'm a beer and tequila man.

I was pretty wasted last night playing beer pong with players from the Ski team and Hockey team at DU... but when you're bringing a girl back to your dorm, the mane is one of the last things on your mind.

Bronx33
09-12-2009, 01:19 PM
Ahhhhhh tequila that explains alot......

Mogulseeker
09-12-2009, 02:23 PM
Plus, wouldn't you agree that I've grown up a lot these last couple of years?

broncofan
09-12-2009, 04:19 PM
WAY over analyzed...Tom Brady was a killer steal in the sixth round. Period.

ZONA
09-12-2009, 11:31 PM
I've never even tried Whiskey. I'm a beer and tequila man.

I was pretty wasted last night playing beer pong with players from the Ski team and Hockey team at DU... but when you're bringing a girl back to your dorm, the mane is one of the last things on your mind.

You've had tequila but never had whiskey, what the hell is wrong with you?

There are alot of good whiskey's out there but do yourself a huge favor and go buy a bottle of Crown Royal and give it a try. Man, it's so smooth you don't even need a chaser.

Archer81
09-13-2009, 12:01 AM
You've had tequila but never had whiskey, what the hell is wrong with you?

There are alot of good whiskey's out there but do yourself a huge favor and go buy a bottle of Crown Royal and give it a try. Man, it's so smooth you don't even need a chaser.

Tip: Never mix Blue Agave energy drink and Jack Daniels...

:Broncos: