PDA

View Full Version : Jets trade for O'Connell

BroncoDoug
09-06-2009, 12:04 PM
Adam_SchefterJets make a trade (not for Brandon Marshall). Jets trade for QB Kevin O'Connell, whom Detroit claimed on waivers from New England.11 minutes ago from web

Smart move by detroit for picking him up...

CHANGSTER
09-06-2009, 12:05 PM
I don't see why the Jets would want him unless they're planning on selling him again down the road.

Hallside
09-06-2009, 12:09 PM
What is up with the teams who drafted 1st round QBs playing hot-potato with O'Connell?

BroncoDoug
09-06-2009, 12:13 PM
Yeah, I don't get why the Jets picked him up, unless they are going to get rid of Clemens

Conklin
09-06-2009, 12:26 PM
so they can now flip him to denver for marshall

Denver724
09-06-2009, 12:27 PM
I don't see why the Jets would want him unless they're planning on selling him again down the road.

I see them cutting Clemons (or maybe including Ainge in a trade with Denver).

CHANGSTER
09-06-2009, 12:27 PM

Ohhhh, that's some fancy thinkin'. Wouldn't that be messed up.

big56fan#1
09-06-2009, 12:28 PM
Im sure they have a plan of useing O'Connell in a trade with Denver if the BMarsh discussions heat up.McDip would want him in part of the trade,due to the pats connection.

bpc
09-06-2009, 12:29 PM
Harris/O'Connell/2010 3rd rounder, and i'm good! :)

Hamrob
09-06-2009, 12:31 PM
O'connell might be the pot sweetner for the Broncos.

Harris, O'connell & a 4th rounder for Marshall.

But what would they do with Brandstrater. I can't believe they would carry 4 QB's.

Do you think they would consider waiving Simms? He does make $3m/yr.

uplink
09-06-2009, 12:34 PM
O'connell might be the pot sweetner for the Broncos.

Harris, O'connell & a 4th rounder for Marshall.

But what would they do with Brandstrater. I can't believe they would carry 4 QB's.

Do you think they would consider waiving Simms? He does make $3m/yr.

Yeah could be for trade with broncos. O'connell would be the 2nd string QB replacing Simms IMO.

SoDak Bronco
09-06-2009, 01:11 PM
never seen Oconnell play, not sure if he's better/worse then brandstater, i doubt he is much better if the pats cut him...

Finger Roll
09-06-2009, 01:37 PM
I'd rather have Ainge than O'connell.

eddie mac
09-06-2009, 02:16 PM
It's a joke that just because a team finished dead last the year before they can pick a player up off waivers then trade him to another team. Another rule within the NFL that is fundamentally flawed.

IMHO when a player is cut by another team he should have the right to choose his new employer, not get transferred to another team as if it was a trade.

The waiver system is absolute bull****.

cutthemdown
09-06-2009, 02:22 PM
It's a joke that just because a team finished dead last the year before they can pick a player up off waivers then trade him to another team. Another rule within the NFL that is fundamentally flawed.

IMHO when a player is cut by another team he should have the right to choose his new employer, not get transferred to another team as if it was a trade.

if you are a vested vet you go straight to FA, if under 4 yrs service you go waiver wire. The system works well.

It gives the worst teams a chance at the talent first, so they can become more competitive.

Amazing you see it as absolute B.S considering it has worked well for how long now?

eddie mac
09-06-2009, 02:25 PM
if you are a vested vet you go straight to FA, if under 4 yrs service you go waiver wire. The system works well.

Actually Cutts I'd say this is the perfect example of how it does not work and how indeed it's being abused by certain teams.

Dedhed
09-06-2009, 02:26 PM
never seen Oconnell play, not sure if he's better/worse then brandstater, i doubt he is much better if the pats cut him...
He's got a year in with McDaniels' system, which I think is a huge advantage. Probably has a better grasp of the offense than any QB on our roster. O'Connell has all the tools you look for; great size (6'5" 225), NFL arm, and mobile.

Not sure why the Patriots would let him go, but McDaniels knows what the kid has to offer. If he's the guy that he looked like coming out of college I think that O'Connell and Harris plus a late rounder for Marshall would easily get a deal done.

There's also always the possibility that he was cut because he can't get his head around things, and that we have no interest. However, we did put a waiver claim in for him, and we know that the Jets are serious about Marshall.

There's definitely smoke here.

Finger Roll
09-06-2009, 02:30 PM

I agree. The lions could come away with about a bunch of future draft picks with this pathetic system

Dedhed
09-06-2009, 02:32 PM
Actually Cutts I'd say this is the perfect example of how it does not work and how indeed it's being abused by certain teams.

Not if you're looking for parity, which is THE beacon for the NFL. The worst teams get first dibs because young players get cut from better teams.

In this case they parlayed that player into an extra draft pick, but it serves the same purpose of helping the teams at the bottom of the heap.

cutthemdown
09-06-2009, 02:32 PM

why they do it to make them better. It's perfectly ok to grab a player then trade him. They give the worst teams this power because the owners and the NFL want competition. Otherwise the waived players would flock to the best the team. I mean who wants to go to Detroit? exactly.

It's not an abuse, Detroit was that bad, they need all the help they can get.

cutthemdown
09-06-2009, 02:34 PM
I agree. The lions could come away with about a bunch of future draft picks with this pathetic system

very shortsighted. If they come away with picks, and that makes them better, then some other **** team will be first on the waiver wire next yr.

Surprised so many people have a problem with a system that works well and helps the crappy teams gain a little something when good teams waive players that are better then what they have.

The system works, you people just like to complain.

eddie mac
09-06-2009, 02:52 PM
why they do it to make them better. It's perfectly ok to grab a player then trade him. They give the worst teams this power because the owners and the NFL want competition. Otherwise the waived players would flock to the best the team. I mean who wants to go to Detroit? exactly.

It's not an abuse, Detroit was that bad, they need all the help they can get.

I dont have a problem at all with the Lions getting first dabs on the released players with under 4 years experience, I do though have a problem with them then utilising this right by selecting a player via waivers with the single purpose of trading him to another team who may well have submitted a claim for his services. If the Lions didn't want to keep O'Connell on their 53 he should've just been released again into the pool because unlike the original drafting team, the Lions haven't paid that player a penny, nor do they incorporate any cap hit from accelerated bonuses.

Just my opinion.

SouthStndJunkie
09-06-2009, 02:54 PM
Jets looking to flip O'Connell to Broncos?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/09/06/jets-looking-to-flip-oconnell-to-broncos/

Posted by Mike Florio on September 6, 2009 4:41 PM ET

We mentioned earlier today the possibility that the Pats didn't try to trade quarterback Kevin O'Connell before cutting him because New England coach Bill Belichick wanted to slide the 2008 third-rounder through to the Chiefs, whose G.M. is former Patriots V.P. of player personnel Scott Pioli.

The fact that, you know, Pioli didn't submit a waiver claim for O'Connell sort of blew that theory to hell.

But the Broncos, coached by former Pats offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels, did make a claim for O'Connell. And even if Belichick wasn't trying to help McDaniels out, there's a belief that the trade of O'Connell from the Lions to the Jets might be a precursor to renewed trade talks between the Jets and the Broncos for receiver Brandon Marshall.

The notion has been floated by Mike Klis of the Denver Post. Though Klis points out that a source says the Broncos have no intention of trading Marshall, who rejoined the team today after a nine-day suspension for conduct detrimental to the team, the Jets seem to have even less of a need for O'Connell than the Lions did.

Bronx33
09-06-2009, 02:55 PM
Adam_SchefterJets make a trade (not for Brandon Marshall). Jets trade for QB Kevin O'Connell, whom Detroit claimed on waivers from New England.11 minutes ago from web

Smart move by detroit for picking him up...

You don't hear that to often...

BroncoBuff
09-06-2009, 03:09 PM

Actually that makes sense.

bombay
09-06-2009, 03:13 PM
They may want to play him so as not to throw Sanchez to the wolves and ruin him.

Cool Breeze
09-06-2009, 04:12 PM
I dont have a problem at all with the Lions getting first dabs on the released players with under 4 years experience, I do though have a problem with them then utilising this right by selecting a player via waivers with the single purpose of trading him to another team who may well have submitted a claim for his services. If the Lions didn't want to keep O'Connell on their 53 he should've just been released again into the pool because unlike the original drafting team, the Lions haven't paid that player a penny, nor do they incorporate any cap hit from accelerated bonuses.

I do though have a problem with them then utilising this right by selecting a player via waivers with the single purpose of trading him to another team

I don't recall them stating this purpose

to another team who may well have submitted a claim for his services

The Jets didn't submit a claim for him

If the Lions didn't want to keep O'Connell on their 53 he should've just been released again

Who said they didn't want him - they just got an offer they couldn't refuse

because unlike the original drafting team, the Lions haven't paid that player a penny, nor do they incorporate any cap hit from accelerated bonuses

Who cares?

lazarus4444
09-06-2009, 04:33 PM
I'm torn. I don't like marshall's antics but love his potential. But then again we could use somebody like harris, hmmmm...

TonyR
09-06-2009, 05:37 PM
Jets looking to flip O'Connell to Broncos?

UPDATE: As a reader pointed out, the fact that the Jets made a waiver claim for O'Connell undermines this theory, since Denver has waiver priority over the Jets.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/09/06/jets-looking-to-flip-oconnell-to-broncos/

ChSuperStar
09-06-2009, 07:40 PM
i would be glad if jets package a deal that includes ainge, he showed potential... i dont mind him backing up orton and we releasing simms.

*WARHORSE*
09-07-2009, 01:16 AM
The Broncos are not going to keep 4 QBs.

They wont let Brandstater get to the waiver wire cause someone will snatch him.

Therefore, the thought that we will trade for O'Connell is not logical to me at this point.

I cant see the Broncos cutting Tom Bra.... after he performed fairly well in the preseason, making considerable improvement each time he played.

Cito Pelon
09-07-2009, 01:41 AM
He's got a year in with McDaniels' system, which I think is a huge advantage. Probably has a better grasp of the offense than any QB on our roster. O'Connell has all the tools you look for; great size (6'5" 225), NFL arm, and mobile.

Not sure why the Patriots would let him go, but McDaniels knows what the kid has to offer. If he's the guy that he looked like coming out of college I think that O'Connell and Harris plus a late rounder for Marshall would easily get a deal done.

There's also always the possibility that he was cut because he can't get his head around things, and that we have no interest. However, we did put a waiver claim in for him, and we know that the Jets are serious about Marshall.

There's definitely smoke here.

Interesting scenario. There has to be some sweetener more than a laterounder plus Harris and O'Connel. That may be the sticking point.