View Full Version : Seymour to the Raiders for 1st

elsid13
09-06-2009, 07:49 AM
Interesting

Richard Seymour to the Raider for First - source ESPN NEWS

EDIT first is 2011

no-pseudo-fan
09-06-2009, 07:52 AM
That is a great deal for the Patriots, if this is for real.

elsid13
09-06-2009, 07:53 AM
That is a great deal for the Patriots, if this is for real.

Adam reporting it so, it not like its a "Deal is done (DiD)" story

elsid13
09-06-2009, 07:54 AM
<cite class="source">ESPN.com news services
</cite> <!-- end mod-article-title --> <!-- begin story body --> New England Patriots (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=nwe) defensive lineman Richard Seymour (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=2554) has been dealt to the Oakland Raiders (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=oak), NFL sources told ESPN.

In return, the Patriots get a 2011 first-round draft pick, a source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

Seymour, 29, spent the first eight years of NFL career with New England. In that time, he amassed 357 total tackles and 39 sacks.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4450767

baja
09-06-2009, 07:55 AM
Damn the Pats continue to pull off shockingly one sided deals, that likely will be a top 10 pick in a very strong draft. Got to admire the way that organization is run assuming this trade story is true.

Denver724
09-06-2009, 07:55 AM
<cite class="source">ESPN.com news services
</cite> <!-- end mod-article-title --> <!-- begin story body --> New England Patriots (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=nwe) defensive lineman Richard Seymour (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=2554) has been dealt to the Oakland Raiders (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=oak), NFL sources told ESPN.

In return, the Patriots get a 2011 first-round draft pick, a source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

Seymour, 29, spent the first eight years of NFL career with New England. In that time, he amassed 357 total tackles and 39 sacks.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4450767

So this is a first in 2011. Not next year, but the year after. Interesting. I guess Ron Brace will fill a role.

Rich Karlis
09-06-2009, 07:56 AM
That should be a top 5 pick for the Pats.

Riddi
09-06-2009, 07:56 AM
No other site is reporting this. The only person is Shefter's twitter! If this is true I think Belichek is starting to lose it. With the constant QB's cuts, trading TE's and now his best defensive player.

elsid13
09-06-2009, 07:58 AM
So this is a first in 2011. Not next year, but the year after. Interesting. I guess Ron Brace will fill a role.

But it gives chances to move up in the upcoming draft by packaging that future pick. It would suck if they end with Dunlap out of UF

TDmvp
09-06-2009, 07:59 AM
Jeez the Raiders are Fing lost ... and first for a "old" guy ... yea he's is only 30 but come on ...

elsid13
09-06-2009, 08:00 AM
No other site is reporting this. The only person is Shefter's twitter! If this is true I think Belichek is starting to lose it. With the constant QB's cuts, trading TE's and now his best defensive player.

Boston Herald is

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/football/patriots/view.bg?articleid=1195787&pos=breaking

no-pseudo-fan
09-06-2009, 08:00 AM
I think it is a great move by NE, you trade a guy for more than top value. Only thing is that NE must be sure of the DE talent behind him, because if they are not they will not be able to stop the run very well this year.

no-pseudo-fan
09-06-2009, 08:02 AM
Also....NE has lost almost all of their Super Bowl Vet leadership on D over 1 season. Bruscki(can't spell) Seymour, Harrison.

Dukes
09-06-2009, 08:04 AM
If it's true, I'm curious if Seymore does well in Oakland where careers die.

baja
09-06-2009, 08:06 AM
No other site is reporting this. The only person is Shefter's twitter! <b> If this is true I think Belichek is starting to lose it. </b> With the constant QB's cuts, trading TE's and now his best defensive player.

What he does is trade a great player at the top of his value one season before that value falls off greatly so the trading partner gets one or two good seasons (plus big contract) and the Pats get a very high draft pick and if they hit on the pick they get a very good player for 4 of 5 seasons on a rookie contract. Why do you think they win so much, they "know when to hold um and know when to fold um" as they say.

ohiobronco2
09-06-2009, 08:26 AM
I wonder if the GM from NE would have traded a 1st for Alphonso Smith. I highly doubt it. Anyways, this is another smart move for NE. They obviously feel confident in their depth. Seymour is nearly 30 and will most likely be seeking big dollars in the next few. Un load him now at his peak and get what you can.

BroncoBuff
09-06-2009, 08:31 AM
The Raiders are gonna be so screwed for so long ... this doesn't help.

This kind of deal should be made only by a team that's very close.

baja
09-06-2009, 08:34 AM
The Raiders are gonna be so screwed for so long ... this doesn't help.

This kind of deal should be made only by a team that's very close.

There should be an NFL rule that prohibits taking advantage of the senile in team trades.

Man-Goblin
09-06-2009, 08:36 AM
Belichick is smart. He's always been somewhat averse to 1st rounders, but in 2011 there will be a new CBA, and thus, a rookie wage scale.

lostknight
09-06-2009, 08:37 AM
Okay, remember when we traded next year's first for a second this year? My immediate reaction was "YES!" because it meant that we were going to trade for a nose tackle.

Instead, we got Chris Baker as a UDFA. He might still step
up, but if we were going to trade a 1st, wouldn't it have been wise to get someone who could have made a impact immediately?

baja
RE: Post 18 - You could it the "dangling a shinny object rule"

cdabroncofan
There should be an NFL rule that prohibits taking advantage of the senile in team trades.

True but funny Ha Ha Ha

bronco militia
What he does is trade a great player at the top of his value one season before that value falls off greatly so the trading partner gets one or two good seasons (plus big contract) and the Pats get a very high draft pick and if they hit on the pick they get a very good player for 4 of 5 seasons on a rookie contract. Why do you think they win so much, they "know when to hold um and know when to fold um" as they say.

the pats don't draft as well as you think.

Lestat
09-06-2009, 08:39 AM
wow, that is a fantastic deal for the Pats. shed his salary and pick up a top 10 or better 1st rounder. you still have Warren and etc along that DL so you don't lose much.

baja
09-06-2009, 08:40 AM
the pats don't draft as well as you think.

True and a good thing too can you imagine if the drafted like Pitts of the Chargers.

rbackfactory80
09-06-2009, 08:43 AM
Must like what they see out of burgess

boltaneer
09-06-2009, 08:46 AM
Belichick is smart. He's always been somewhat averse to 1st rounders, but in 2011 there will be a new CBA, and thus, a rookie wage scale.

Agreed 100%

Al Davis is Bellichick's b*tch. First Randy Moss for peanuts and now this.

Broncoman13
09-06-2009, 08:49 AM
Good deal for both sides, IMO. The Pats dump a high contract and the Faid get a player that has another 5 or 6 good seasons left in him. I agree that this is a move that you would expect from a team like the Chargers vs a team like the Faid... but whatever, they both do well in the trade. Not gonna help the Faid though, the internal issues will continue to disrupt that team and it will be increasingly difficult for them to field a winning team. Bummer ;D

Rohirrim
09-06-2009, 08:58 AM
I agree with this writer; If Seymour hasn't signed a long term contract with the Fade, then it's time for the league to take over the Raiders. I almost feel sorry for Seymour. It's like being thrown into a dumpster.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/09/06/report-pats-shipping-richard-seymour-to-oakland/

TheReverend
09-06-2009, 09:00 AM
This means we can kiss goodbye any shot at getting our mitts on Wilfork next year.

Hercules Rockefeller
09-06-2009, 09:04 AM
This means we can kiss goodbye any shot at getting our mitts on Wilfork next year.

People shouldn't have been focusing their hopes on a UFA a full year before he was set to hit the market, especially one of Wilfork's caliber.

and it would be hilarious if Seymour walks after a season

Tombstone RJ
09-06-2009, 09:05 AM
Interesting

Richard Seymour to the Raider for First - source ESPN NEWS

EDIT first is 2011

I guess this means the DT the Pats drafted, Brace, is working out well for them.

Gcver2ver3
09-06-2009, 09:10 AM
Good deal for both sides, IMO. The Pats dump a high contract and the Faid get a player that has another 5 or 6 good seasons left in him. I agree that this is a move that you would expect from a team like the Chargers vs a team like the Faid... but whatever, they both do well in the trade. Not gonna help the Faid though, the internal issues will continue to disrupt that team and it will be increasingly difficult for them to field a winning team. Bummer ;D

its only a good deal if the Raiders had Seymour agree to a long term contract...

you can't pony up 1st rounders without assuring the player doesn't walk after a year or so...

as for the Pats, they continue their strategy of getting rid of a player too early versus a year too late...gotta hand it to them...

TheDave
09-06-2009, 09:13 AM
and the rich get richer...

Tombstone RJ
09-06-2009, 09:16 AM
Where's lex? Hello, Ron Brace!! Pats drafted this kid and Broncos didn't!!!!! WTF???

TheReverend
09-06-2009, 09:33 AM
Where's lex? Hello, Ron Brace!! Pats drafted this kid and Broncos didn't!!!!! WTF???

That's been beaten to death ad nauseum already, and those of us frustrated by it have already resigned to the reality.

...AND we don't know that Brace is the reason for making Seymour expendable to the Faid, right? If so, good on him, but I doubt he's shown enough in his first 4 weeks of PS play to make a perennial pro-bowl and HoF candidate obsolete.

colonelbeef
09-06-2009, 09:35 AM
And we trade our potential top 10 pick in next years' draft for a nickel cornerback this year.

Sweet.

Tombstone RJ
09-06-2009, 09:38 AM
That's been beaten to death ad nauseum already, and those of us frustrated by it have already resigned to the reality.

...AND we don't know that Brace is the reason for making Seymour expendable to the Faid, right? If so, good on him, but I doubt he's shown enough in his first 4 weeks of PS play to make a perennial pro-bowl and HoF candidate obsolete.

Wow, alrighty then...

Tombstone laughs as he sprinkles gasoline on the fire and scurries away....

Teeeehehehe!

TheDave
09-06-2009, 09:41 AM
There should be an unspoken rule in the NFL... don't play poker with Belicheck

Gcver2ver3
09-06-2009, 09:42 AM

frankly...i see this as another sign the Pats are moving to a 4-3 defense...

Brace isn't NT material...he will play alongside Wilfork as a 4-3 DT...

Brace and Wilfork will be a beastly force against the run as DTs...

we're going 3-4 so Brace doesn't fit what we're doing near as much...

elsid13
09-06-2009, 09:45 AM

Wonder what this tells folks when both the Ravens and Pats are moving to 4/3 defense fronts.

Man-Goblin
09-06-2009, 09:45 AM
Brace was considered a NT prospect coming out of college. It wouldn't surprise me if he sucks at it because is a dumbass, but at least physically he is suited for it.

As for Seymour, who knows how he is going to play full-time in a 4-3, but the Patriots did run a little bit of everything from time to time.

Tombstone RJ
09-06-2009, 09:46 AM

Who knows where Brace will play on the Pats line. Your assuming too much. Fact is, if Brace does pan out he's just showed why the Pats are so good: Draft Brace and Brace looks good, Seymore is now expendable, trade Seymore and get ANOTHER FIRST IN NEXT YEAR'S DRAFT."

Plus, Dump the fat contract Seymore has. Brilliant!

TheDave
09-06-2009, 09:48 AM
Wonder what this tells folks when both the Ravens and Pats are moving to 4/3 defense fronts.

I think all these teams are goind to continue a push towards the hybrid 4/3 - 3/4... With the NFL as pass happy as it is, are no one who has 3-4 personell is just going to abandon it.

It simply offers too much versitility.

BroncoBuff
09-06-2009, 09:49 AM
I agree with this writer; If Seymour hasn't signed a long term contract with the Fade, then it's time for the league to take over the Raiders. I almost feel sorry for Seymour. It's like being thrown into a dumpster.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/09/06/report-pats-shipping-richard-seymour-to-oakland/

I started saying this two years ago. Sad to say, but some kind of receivership seems in order, they're having a negative affect on competitive balance in the league.

Hercules Rockefeller
09-06-2009, 09:49 AM
Seymour is a UFA after this season, they didn't dump a guy with a fat contract.

Rohirrim
09-06-2009, 09:51 AM

Maybe it means it's impossible to find a NT that's good enough to play against the new breed of Olinemen coming out of college who seem to get bigger, and faster, every year?

Gcver2ver3
09-06-2009, 09:52 AM
Who knows where Brace will play on the Pats line. Your assuming too much. Fact is, if Brace does pan out he's just showed why the Pats are so good: Draft Brace and Brace looks good, Seymore is now expendable, trade Seymore and get ANOTHER FIRST IN NEXT YEAR'S DRAFT."

i don't think i'm assuming too much at all...

Ron Brace is obviously closer to being a 4-3 DT than a 4-3 DE...how is that even debatable?...

Pats are going 4-3...Brace fits more for a 4-3 than a 3-4, and we're a 3-4 D...so stop crying about us not picking him...

Gcver2ver3
09-06-2009, 09:54 AM

honestly, i've seen enough of our attempts at 4-3...

broncosteven
09-06-2009, 09:57 AM
The only way this is bad for Oakland is if they don't sign him long term.

I am not happy to see Oakland get better, they just got better. They have a very good run game.

I think this is the year Russel either busts or booms, if he booms we could be fighting over the cellar of the AFC west with KFC.

I just wonder if this means that the great Tommy Kelly needs help on the DL.

BTW Tommy Kelly's Wiki page is pretty funny:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Kelly

each year it talks about his potential to become a MONSTER then after his 2007 contract all that is written in 2008 is his DUI!

LOL

tsiguy96
09-06-2009, 10:24 AM
you have to feel bad for seymour. hes got to go to that joke of a franchise against his will. theres a reason that no one wants to stay there. nmandi hated it (got 15mil/year to stay), sapp hated it, d-hall hated it, its not a coincidence that so many people dont like it there.

footstepsfrom#27
09-06-2009, 10:27 AM
Agreed 100%

Al Davis is Bellichick's b*tch. First Randy Moss for peanuts and now this.
This.

Thank God he found a sucker before he called Bowlen.

Jason in LA
09-06-2009, 10:32 AM

When I read 2011 I had to think for a second what year this is lol

baja
09-06-2009, 10:34 AM

Interesting take! So while every other team is jumping on the 3 - 4 band ewagon making the tweeners in high demand the Pats switch back to 4 -3 and pick up the dime a dozen DE DT suited for the 4 - 3

baja
09-06-2009, 10:38 AM
Seymour is a UFA after this season, they didn't dump a guy with a fat contract.

No but they dumped a guy that is going to want a fat contract (and will be very vocal about it) while he still has value.

Who ever does the thinking on that team stays ahead of the curve...

Doggcow
09-06-2009, 11:19 AM
They should adopt the veto rule for the NFL like in Fantasy football...

oubronco
09-06-2009, 11:34 AM
Damn the Pats continue to pull off shockingly one sided deals, that likely will be a top 10 pick in a very strong draft. Got to admire the way that organization is run assuming this trade story is true.

They are going to get one of the top DT's in the draft

DBroncos4life
09-06-2009, 11:49 AM

Funny I pointed out that the Pats have been playing a 4-3 A LOT in preseason and not only that I have read over and over again that they are planning on running the 4-3 over 50% of the time this year.

Broncoman13
09-06-2009, 12:03 PM
its only a good deal if the Raiders had Seymour agree to a long term contract...

you can't pony up 1st rounders without assuring the player doesn't walk after a year or so...

as for the Pats, they continue their strategy of getting rid of a player too early versus a year too late...gotta hand it to them...

They can always make sure he doesn't walk and if Seymour is looking for a pay day he is with the right franchise... they will overpay him by about $20m just to keep him in Oakland.

Broncoman13
09-06-2009, 12:04 PM
They are going to get one of the top DT's in the draft

You dont think he is coming out next year?

ZONA
09-06-2009, 12:16 PM
I don't think it's that great of a deal for the Pats. Seymour is still a pretty good player right now and probably will be for the next 3 or 4 years. Yeah it's a first but they also gave up a proven Dlinemen for what is essentially an uknown, in 2 years, with development time, you could be looking at 3 years before their new pick really has a big impact. The Pats are loaded with talent right now and they should be pushing to win the Superbowl, right now, not be worried about it 3 years from now. Not sure this is a deal I make if I am GM in NE. I'd rather have that proven vet working on my line this year trying to get me another title.

footstepsfrom#27
09-06-2009, 12:29 PM
The Patriots know what Seymour can do and where he is in his career. Raise your hand if you think Al Davis vs. the Pats in ANY trade has much chance of turning out good for the Faid?

Thought so.

Beantown Bronco
09-06-2009, 12:56 PM
Everyone in New England has seen and has been saying that Seymour is easily the most overrated guy on their defense and has been for at least 2 years now. And he is somewhat injury prone. AND he's gonna want big money........like today.

Sadly, this is nothing but good for the Pats.

cutthemdown
09-06-2009, 01:14 PM
Damn that probably means they don't let Wilfork walk next yr.

Great pickup for Oakland though Seymore a hell of a player.

Killericon
09-06-2009, 01:44 PM
If I were New England, I'd only ever trade with Oakland. It's been working out really well for them so far.

DivineLegion
09-06-2009, 02:08 PM
If the Raiders actually add a few more pieces on defense they are going to be pretty damn good, this really is not a good thing for the broncos. There's a reason the Raiders traded their 2011 pick, if you guys ever wondered what a shutdown corner looks like with a D-line that consistently gets pressure...look no further.

At least were making strides too.

Bronx33
09-06-2009, 02:11 PM
If the Raiders actually add a few more pieces on defense they are going to be pretty damn good, this really is not a good thing for the broncos. There's a reason the Raiders traded their 2011 pick, if you guys ever wondered what a shutdown corner looks like with a D-line that consistently gets pressure...look no further.

They will **** it up somehow they always do.

gyldenlove
09-06-2009, 02:29 PM

As long as they have Russell throwing the ball in arbitrary directions and The Amazing Mr Butterfingers running the ball, they won't win more than 5 games. It is hard to win when you can't score double-digits.

UberBroncoMan
09-06-2009, 02:32 PM
I'm honestly surprised we didn't try to trade for him... it would instantly turn our D-Line into (can't even believe I'm saying this) one of the premier ones in the entire NFL. That is assuming Fields or Baker really stepped up... but DE wise we'd be top notch.

We had no problem trading a 1st for a 2nd round CB, so trading a 2010 1st for Seymour seems like something McPat would have done.

cutthemdown
09-06-2009, 02:58 PM
In a way though its like what we did with Pryce, but we didn't get the 1st round pick.

Pat's probably figure they weren't going to be able to keep both Wilfork and Seymore down the road. They are always looking to get something for players when value high.

IE Deion Branch who they got a 1st for and is now 3rd string I read.

For Raiders they do get a player who can still play. Plus Davis knows he may not even be alive in 2011. No reason to not do it.

Someone should offer the raiders a decent starter for like a 1st round pick in 2014 lol.

cutthemdown
09-06-2009, 03:00 PM
I'm honestly surprised we didn't try to trade for him... it would instantly turn our D-Line into (can't even believe I'm saying this) one of the premier ones in the entire NFL. That is assuming Fields or Baker really stepped up... but DE wise we'd be top notch.

We had no problem trading a 1st for a 2nd round CB, so trading a 2010 1st for Seymour seems like something McPat would have done.

I would guess that Mcdaniels feels it isn't smart to part with first round picks for older vets. It's high risk, high reward, which is sort of dangerous.

It's one thing to trade one of your firsts for a 2nd this yr. Mcdaniels knows hes still in first round with the pick from the bears. As long as you have a 1st and a 2nd round pick you have that ammo to move up for a franchise QB if you see one you want. Or some other talented player etc. Once you have no first round picks you lose that ability.

If Seymore went for a 2nd round pick next yr, then I would have been surprised. For all we know we did try to get him but wouldn't part with a number 1 for him.

NFLBRONCO
09-06-2009, 03:05 PM
Stockpiling picks for an aging team smart move. IF they draft well they are set with a very young corps very fast. This is the way to reload.

400HZ
09-06-2009, 03:05 PM

You guys missed the boat. Players used to fall in the draft when they were considered to be tweener types better suited for a 3-4. Now they jump way up the board. See: Tyson Jackson. Now the pendulum has swung in the opposite direction.

400HZ
09-06-2009, 03:08 PM

Brace doesn't matter that much in regards to Seymour. The Patriots already had a second starting-caliber DE with Jarvis Green. NE gave him a cheap contract extension before he became a starter.

UberBroncoMan
09-06-2009, 03:13 PM
Gotta say though... the Raiders now have two legitimate massive DE's for the next year to two. Greg Ellis had a great year last year even at his age. If their DT's step up and the scheme isn't pansy they are going to have a serious pass rush.<cite>
</cite>

baja
09-06-2009, 03:31 PM
The Patriots know what Seymour can do and where he is in his career. Raise your hand if you think Al Davis vs. the Pats in ANY trade has much chance of turning out good for the Faid?

Thought so.

Well Symour will sell Al a few more tickets and considering he is about 107 maybe this works for both

BroncoSojia
09-06-2009, 05:50 PM
For all the bronco fans bashing this, what's the better trade: Trading a potential top ten pick in 2011 for a five time pro-bowl DE vs trading a potential top ten pick in 2010 for a 2nd rounder in a weak draft.

baja
09-06-2009, 05:52 PM
For all the bronco fans bashing this, what's the better trade: Trading a potential top ten pick in 2011 for a five time pro-bowl DE vs trading a potential top ten pick in 2010 for a 2nd rounder in a weak draft.

Smith wasn't a one year deal but I didn't like the Smith move either.

tebowisdabomb
09-06-2009, 06:03 PM
you can bet they had a contract on the table and was discussed to Seymour way before he was traded.
The Raiders overpay for people, they don't lowball them

Bronx33
09-06-2009, 06:11 PM

Guess we will find out in the draft what the pats do with that pick :wiggle: also how much more does seymour really have left in the tank to contribute?

tsiguy96
09-06-2009, 06:12 PM
we should probably rehash the smith trade and whether it was a good idea or not.

DBroncos4life
09-06-2009, 06:15 PM
Seymour will see first hand what its like to play for a team ran as poor as the Raiders then he will go back to NE after this year. What a deal for the Pats.

baja
09-06-2009, 06:17 PM
Wouldn't that be funny

tsiguy96
09-06-2009, 06:17 PM
Seymour will see first hand what its like to play for a team ran as poor as the Raiders then he will go back to NE after this year. What a deal for the Pats.

i would think the raiders would make this deal contingent on seymour signing longer term for the raiders.

baja
09-06-2009, 06:20 PM
Why would you think that, it's al davis.

Bronx33
09-06-2009, 06:27 PM
We will have to keep a close eye on seymours stats and see if the raiders run him into the dirt like they do most other talents re: randy moss ended up sitting on the bench with a stupid look on his face.

Broncos_OTM
09-06-2009, 06:39 PM
i don't think i'm assuming too much at all...

Ron Brace is obviously closer to being a 4-3 DT than a 4-3 DE...how is that even debatable?...

Pats are going 4-3...Brace fits more for a 4-3 than a 3-4, and we're a 3-4 D...so stop crying about us not picking him...

WRONG we run the hybrid 4-3 3-4 5-2 if you havent seen it you are blind.

R Brace can play in a 3-4 evidenced by NE picking him. NO WAY is a 4 3 UT IF anything he is a 4 3 NT.......which is wilfork spot

fdf
09-06-2009, 06:43 PM
we should probably rehash the smith trade and whether it was a good idea or not.

LOL. Great post. Not nearly enough has been said about it. Also, don't forget, Cutler was traded. So this thread should probably talk about that too.

Punisher
09-06-2009, 07:06 PM
Just a Smart team dealing with a very stupid team.

They basically stolded derrick burgess and randy moss,then traded an old Seymour for a 1ST ROUND PICK,from the raiders.

The Pats just hustled the retarded Raiders.

errand
09-06-2009, 07:19 PM
That should be a top 5 pick for the Pats.

so not only do people on here know what will happen this season...but next season as well.....you guys playing Powerball this week?

errand
09-06-2009, 07:21 PM
But it gives chances to move up in the upcoming draft by packaging that future pick. It would suck if they end with Dunlap out of UF

Yes, because like UF WR's and QB's...they are always making the Pro Bowl.LOL

U of Florida produces great college QB's, WR's and DL....but rarely do they produce NFL QB's, WR's, and DL's

TheDave
09-06-2009, 07:28 PM
so not only do people on here know what will happen this season...but next season as well.....you guys playing Powerball this week?

2004 - #2
2005 - #7
2006 - #7
2007 - #1
2008 - #4
2009 - #7

Let's not pretend he went out on a limb for that one...

errand
09-06-2009, 07:50 PM
2004 - #2
2005 - #7
2006 - #7
2007 - #1
2008 - #4
2009 - #7

Let's not pretend he went out on a limb for that one...

Seymour while being a tad over rated is still a good player....he'll help alot more than he'll hinder their D. And with it being a contract year for him, he'll be motivated to put up good numbers too.

Russell despite making some poor decisions still threw only 8 INT's. A good D that doesn't have to defend a short field alot will help increase their chances of winning games.

They also were able to run the ball adequately enough to take pressure off of him....at least that's Cable's plan.

I wouldn't count them out just yet....they whooped our asses pretty good last season.....in our own backyard too.

TheDave
09-06-2009, 07:59 PM
Seymour while being a tad over rated is still a good player....he'll help alot more than he'll hinder their D. And with it being a contract year for him, he'll be motivated to put up good numbers too.

Russell despite making some poor decisions still threw only 8 INT's. A good D that doesn't have to defend a short field alot will help increase their chances of winning games.

They also were able to run the ball adequately enough to take pressure off of him....at least that's Cable's plan.

I wouldn't count them out just yet....they whooped our asses pretty good last season.....in our own backyard too.

They pissed away the 7th pick of the draft on a track star that can't catch and their head coach might be doing time this season...

The odds are in N.E.s' favor.

errand
09-06-2009, 08:06 PM
They pissed away the 7th pick of the draft on a track star that can't catch and their head coach might be doing time this season...

Granted...but until either of those two things happen...Cable in jail, and/or Heyward-Bey a bust....I wouldn't say otherwise. but that's just me....

Popps
09-06-2009, 08:39 PM
I don't know... if Seymore plays at a high level, this is probably a smart trade. You're drafting to land guys like this, so why not take one who's proven himself.

Plus, the Raiders couldn't hit the side of a barn on draft-day. They may as well get a known commodity.

That said, New England seems to have a knack for letting guys go at the right time... so we'll see how this works out.

Elway777
09-06-2009, 09:26 PM
I think New England did a smart move. They already decided that they where not going to resign Seymore next year but where going to keep Wilfork instead. They also got a 2011 first rounder where their could be a rookie salary cap in place. That is why Belichick is always 2 steps ahead of everybody else.

DBroncos4life
09-06-2009, 10:24 PM

U R A FAG That is a lock.

DBroncos4life
09-06-2009, 10:28 PM

When you hear no one is that dumb, errand comes into the picture to prove you wrong. No one thinks that NE made out OK in this deal.

lazarus4444
09-07-2009, 12:08 AM
Wow, i really feel sorry for seymour, wonder what he did to piss off BB? He's now exiled to the worst franchise in the NFL. I actually, really, feel sorry for him. Poor guy, i'd retire if i were him.

Doggcow
09-07-2009, 12:10 AM
Wow, i really feel sorry for seymour, wonder what he did to piss off BB? He's now exiled to the worst franchise in the NFL. I actually, really, feel sorry for him. Poor guy, i'd retire if i were him.

He didnt piss him off I dont think. Bellicheat just couldnt find anyone offering more than some PS scrubs and 3rd rounders I bet... Then he called the raiders....

FireFly
09-07-2009, 12:12 AM
Raiders = pwned

GoBroncos DownUnder
09-07-2009, 07:01 AM
I think it's a SMART move by the Raiders, sure they overpaid, but it gives them some HOPE (this season) against San Diego and KC.

KC have a Swiss cheese O-line.
And if you saw San Diego against Arizona when the starters were in, Rivers sacked repeatedly followed by 5 dump off passes to RB's.

(Al Doofus will be dead soon anyway, so it's not like he will have long to sit around a rue the trade!)

errand
09-07-2009, 07:20 AM
When you hear no one is that dumb, errand comes into the picture to prove you wrong. No one thinks that NE made out OK in this deal.

All i do is give another person's opinion/take. Sorry if mine are usually right, and your's rarely are.

Unlike you moron, i do not pretend to know everything..but, i do know more than you.

DivineLegion
09-07-2009, 07:47 AM
If Chris Kuper doesn't make it back soon this is going to spell more trouble than you guys think. We have the Riaders in the **** hole week 3...

elsid13
09-07-2009, 08:15 AM
Yes, because like UF WR's and QB's...they are always making the Pro Bowl.LOL

U of Florida produces great college QB's, WR's and DL....but rarely do they produce NFL QB's, WR's, and DL's

It doesn't matter where he went to school or who also played there in the past or what they did in the NFL. It only matter how each player talent projects in the NFL. And right now Dunlap due to his size, speed and ability projects to be very talented DE worthy of top 10 selection. I know folks like to be believe that the system is more important then talent but talent win on the field 99% of the time.

tsiguy96
09-07-2009, 08:24 AM
MoveTheSticks (http://twitter.com/MoveTheSticks)I have talked to about 10 different league sources and not one thinks that Seymour was worth a future 1

funny stuff.

Punisher
09-07-2009, 09:01 AM
I think it's a SMART move by the Raiders, sure they overpaid, but it gives them some HOPE (this season) against San Diego and KC.

KC have a Swiss cheese O-line.
And if you saw San Diego against Arizona when the starters were in, Rivers sacked repeatedly followed by 5 dump off passes to RB's.

(Al Doofus will be dead soon anyway, so it's not like he will have long to sit around a rue the trade!)

Hilarious! maybe u should try to get a job in the raiders front office Hilarious!

azbroncfan
09-07-2009, 09:10 AM
I's a high price to pay but first round picks are a little overrated and valued. Raiders very easily could pick the next Gallery, Russell, Huff, Dorsey, or Heyward-bey with the pick.

Bronx33
09-07-2009, 09:37 AM
Couple more takes...

http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/The_Trenches/entry/view/33253/breaking_down_the_richard_seymour_trade

Atwater His Ass
09-07-2009, 09:45 AM
draft picks are so over-valued it's ridiculous. this is really a good deal for both sides if oakland can reach an agreement on a new deal

BroncoDoug
09-07-2009, 10:23 AM
so now there is talk that Seymore might not even show up to the Raiders...I don't blame him haha

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/09/07/seymour-could-eventually-get-five-day-letter/

Bronx33
09-07-2009, 11:31 AM
so now there is talk that Seymore might not even show up to the Raiders...I don't blame him haha

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/09/07/seymour-could-eventually-get-five-day-letter/

It sounds like a made for TV movie in the making and no doubt it will turn into some kinda cluster**** when al davises boney fingers are in the pot.

Bronx33
09-07-2009, 08:33 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/09/07/harrison-seymours-not-thrilled-with-deal-to-raiders/

Retired safety Rodney Harrison told PFT Monday night that he has spoken to his former Patriots teammate and close friend Richard Seymour about the deal that sent Seymour to Oakland.

And?

"He's not thrilled," said Harrison, now an analyst for NBC's Football Night in America. "Who would be thrilled to go to the Oakland Raiders? Maybe somebody who's happy to just get a chance but not a guy like Richard Seymour, a five-time Pro Bowler. For a veteran player to go to Oakland at this juncture it's just difficult.

Atwater His Ass
09-08-2009, 02:02 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/09/07/harrison-seymours-not-thrilled-with-deal-to-raiders/

Retired safety Rodney Harrison told PFT Monday night that he has spoken to his former Patriots teammate and close friend Richard Seymour about the deal that sent Seymour to Oakland.

And?

"He's not thrilled," said Harrison, now an analyst for NBC's Football Night in America. "Who would be thrilled to go to the Oakland Raiders? Maybe somebody who's happy to just get a chance but not a guy like Richard Seymour, a five-time Pro Bowler. For a veteran player to go to Oakland at this juncture it's just difficult.

meh, he'd be crying about how the game is a business and he needs to get paid if he'd played out this season in NE and then was looking for a new contract.

it's either about the $$$ or it's not. oakland will pay him, as their track record shows.

i love it when these guys pick and choose when to play the "it's a business" card and when they play "all i care about is championships" card.

reality is, if seymour really cared about SB's, he'd have gone to NE and worked something out so he could stay there. he didn't, so that shows he wanted to get paid. roll the dice, pay the price. welcome to chokeland.

TheReverend
09-08-2009, 08:38 AM
Seymour No Showed

TheReverend
09-08-2009, 08:39 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-raiders-seymour&prov=ap&type=lgns

Seymour hasn’t reported to Raiders following trade

By JOSH DUBOW, AP Sports Writer 13 hours, 44 minutes ago <script type="text/javascript">YAHOO.util.Event.addListener( window, "load", function() { setTimeout(function(){ var buzz = new YAHOO.Media.Buzz("buzz-toolbar",{"sync":["buzz-tools"],"showCount":true,"countPosition":"inside","fetchCount":false,"loc_strings":{"buzz_up":"Buzz up!","buzzed":"Buzzed!","one_vote":"{0} vote","n_votes":"{0} votes"}});buzz.onSuccess.subscribe(function(){ if(YAHOO.Updates){ YAHOO.Updates.Disclosure.showDialog({"container":"yup-container","source":"buzz","type":"buzzUp","lang":"en-US"}); } }); }, 15); });</script>

ALAMEDA, Calif. (AP)—Five-time Pro Bowl defensive lineman Richard Seymour (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/5453/;_ylt=AsvRm77SeFAftARnvhGX6hkdsLYF)(notes) (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/5453/news;_ylt=AqNaAp9U0RC8BcDQ6haO.WYdsLYF) did not report to the Oakland Raiders (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/oak/;_ylt=AlhCCp_xvvjezW9CJOOLaa0dsLYF) on Monday, a day after being acquired in a trade with the New England Patriots (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/nwe/;_ylt=AlapV.me5WMGKDoJfaMnjg4dsLYF).
Raiders coach Tom Cable said after practice that Seymour had to resolve some things with the Patriots before the deal for a first-round pick in 2011 could be finalized.
“We have attempted to make a deal,” Cable said Monday. “There are some issues still between him and the Patriots that are being worked out. I’m hoping that that will get resolved as quickly as possible. We know that the player wants to be here, but we have really no control over those issues.”
Patriots spokesman Stacey James said he was unaware of any difficulties surrounding the trade, which was announced by New England on Sunday and confirmed by Cable.
<!-- article-left_skinny -->

The trade was included on the league’s official transaction list distributed to teams Sunday, a person who has seen the list told The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because the list is not public.
All deals are subject to certain conditions, including physicals for players involved, and teams can inform the league if those conditions are not met. Neither the Raiders nor Patriots asked for the trade to be rescinded by the close of business Monday, the person said.
Cable did not want to address the issue further Monday, but said Seymour told him he wants to be in Oakland. Cable did not say when Seymour would have to arrive in order to be able to play in the season opener next Monday night against San Diego.
“Just as soon as possible. That’s really the only way to answer that right now,” he said.
Seymour, who turns 30 next month, is in the final year of a contract that pays him about $3.7 million this season. The deal would send him from a team that has gone 77-19 the past six seasons and is a perennial Super Bowl contender to one that is an NFL-worst 24-72 over that span.
Seymour has been a stalwart in New England since being drafted sixth overall in 2001. He played on three Super Bowl winners with the Patriots, recording 39 career sacks and being selected to the Pro Bowl for five straight seasons beginning in 2002.
The Raiders were looking to upgrade a run defense that was the worst in the league during the exhibition season and has been the worst over the past six seasons. Since going to the Super Bowl following the 2002 season, Oakland has had the worst run defense in the NFL, allowing 141.7 yards per game on the ground and 122 touchdowns rushing. The Raiders have allowed a 100-yard rusher in more than half of their games the past three years.
AP Sports Writer Jimmy Golen in Boston contributed to this report.

Old Dude
09-08-2009, 08:48 AM
This is getting better all the time.

Rohirrim
09-08-2009, 08:50 AM
They had to tazer him, drug him and tie him up to get him on the plane. ;D

400HZ
09-08-2009, 10:57 AM
I hope Seymour retires. Screw the Patriots. Oakland will just use the pick on another Michael Huff or Heyward-Bey.

gtown
09-08-2009, 11:02 AM

That is probably not far from reality. Karma is a bitch Seymour, Dick.

rastaman
09-08-2009, 11:59 AM
He didnt piss him off I dont think. Bellicheat just couldnt find anyone offering more than some PS scrubs and 3rd rounders I bet... Then he called the raiders....

Point is....Seymour didn't deserve to go to a loosing organization. Had it been possible, BB should have tried to trade Seymour to a contending team out of NE's division. Thats how BB shows appreciation for what Seymour has done for the NE organization.

broncosteven
09-08-2009, 12:13 PM
I hope Seymour retires. Screw the Patriots. Oakland will just use the pick on another Michael Huff or Heyward-Bey.

If Oak still had their pick, they would screw it up and make it better for us.

Instead they get a very good player, if he shows.

I am hoping he doesn't show and Oakland gets their pick back.

oubronco
09-09-2009, 02:41 PM
Seeing that Mcd has a hardon for Patriot players why didn't he offer a 1st for Seymour?

Bronx33
09-09-2009, 02:50 PM

I heard cable threw a few punches too!!

TheReverend
09-09-2009, 03:00 PM
Seeing that Mcd has a hardon for Patriot players why didn't he offer a 1st for Seymour?

We only offer firsts for nickel backs.

Hotrod
09-09-2009, 03:05 PM
We only offer firsts for smallish nickel backs.

LOL fixed that for ya

Bronx33
09-09-2009, 03:08 PM
Everything blows up in ALs face but surgery, glue, human donations, science and bits of wood has helped keep him presentable for the most part though hes not allowed to hand out halloween candy anymore.

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/3448/amddavisspeaksv.jpg

DBroncos4life
09-15-2009, 12:39 AM
Richard Seymour looks like a steal for the Raiders right now. Hell they can't draft worth a **** anyways so what the hell. I hate to say it but I think Oakland's D is legit. How long was Seymour even in Oakland before this game? QB play is really going to hurt this team cause after what I saw of them tonight they might be the team to beat. I think I need to puke now.

Popps
09-15-2009, 12:53 AM
I said it when the trade went down. I didn't think it was a bad move. I wish we would have done it. The guy is a one-man wrecking crew.

Good luck drafting someone that talented, and Seymour has several years of productivity left. I'm frankly shocked that NE traded him. Must have been contractual worries... or some very behind the scenes stuff we're not privy to.

Bronco Yoda
09-15-2009, 12:55 AM
I agree also. This seems to be a very good move by the fade. I'm sooooo glad they got rid of Garcia. They could have won some games with him plus that D.

lazarus4444
09-15-2009, 01:23 AM
He did look great out there. Too bad we couldn't get him :(

Beantown Bronco
09-15-2009, 04:16 AM
This has Trevor Pryce potential. It's been a little while since Pats fan has seen him that dominant and healthy for a significant stretch. Let's see if he can keep it up in Oakland.

GoBroncos DownUnder
09-15-2009, 07:21 AM
Yep, I called it! The guy walked in off the street, dressed, and played an awesome game.
Nice move by the Raiders!:notworthy

SoDak Bronco
09-15-2009, 07:58 AM
Pats D looked worse, Oaklands much better...Seymore was a beast. We'll see if this is a good move in a year. He better resign or else its going to backfire.

Borks147
09-15-2009, 08:59 AM
I hope we offer him 1 dollar more in his contract and he comes here.

Then again, I don't want to kill Al.

uplink
09-16-2009, 12:58 AM
Damn Belichick dissed McD and Pioli by trading this guy into the division.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

cutthemdown
09-16-2009, 01:13 AM
I love Seymore and wouldn't have been upset if Broncos made that same move. But I understand the team wanting to not give up firsts for older players.

Broncos trying to build something that lasts for a long time.

Al Davis desperate to win right now and might be dead by 2011 so its a smart move.