PDA

View Full Version : orton, simms back this week

tsiguy96
09-06-2009, 07:54 AM
They divvied it up nicely, as they always do.

Veteran coach, rookie coach. Apparently, it doesn't matter. After the Broncos temporarily set their 53-man roster Saturday, they once again wound up with players at every position.

Another move will have to be made today to accommodate the expected return of wide receiver Brandon Marshall from suspension.

The first roster built by Josh McDaniels acknowledged his new spread offense by going heavy on receivers (seven, counting Marshall) and light on pure tailbacks (three).

True to the Broncos' new 3-4 defensive alignment, there are more linebackers and defensive ends turned outside linebackers (eight) than defensive linemen (six).

"The biggest thing about our defense this year is how those guys up front have accepted their (new) roles," said cornerback Champ Bailey. "That's going to make a big difference."

But no matter how a roster is comprised, it can be nothing more than names on paper unless a quality quarterback can lead it to victory.

And for the first time in a couple of weeks, the Broncos believe they will have two veteran quarterbacks ready to practice this week.

Chris Simms will go first. He got injured first, so he's had more time to heal from his sprained left ankle. He will be taking snaps today during the Broncos' light practice at Dove Valley.

Kyle Orton and his stitched-up finger will be held back until Tuesday, when the Broncos have their first lengthy practice of the week.

If the stitches on his finger and laces on the football can meld into consistent spirals, Orton will start the season opener next Sunday against the Cincinnati Bengals. Simms would become the backup and Tom Brandstater, the rookie who just finished off a gratifying preseason, will become the No. 3 quarterback.

Lack of reps with the first-team offense is the issue for Simms. Stitches are the issue for Orton. The index finger on his right throwing hand
Denver Broncos will likely remain sutured through the week of practice. There's also a chance the stitches won't be clipped before the game at Cincinnati.

Orton figures to go through some trial-and-error this week before finding his most effective comfort level. Wearing the type of gloves some quarterbacks wear in cold weather is a possibility.

If it's determined Orton should wait until his stitches are removed before he plays, then Simms will be counted on to make his first NFL start since his promising career was interrupted by a spleen injury he suffered in the third game of the 2006 season.

Besides the return of Simms and Orton, the Broncos will also welcome veteran defensive end Vonnie Holliday, and brace for Marshall.

Holliday, who has played with Green Bay, Kansas City and Miami Dolphins in his 11 NFL seasons, was signed Saturday to give the Broncos depth on their three-man front that became necessary with the knee injury to Le Kevin Smith.

Marshall is expected back today despite attempts in recent days by his agent, Kennard McGuire, to help facilitate a trade with the New York Jets.

Today, Marshall is expected to become part of a 53-man team. If quantity means quality, the Broncos should be best this season at blocking (nine offensive linemen) and covering (nine defensive backs).

Like most teams, the Broncos have three tight ends, a long snapper, a kicker and a punter. Unlike most teams, they don't have one true fullback.
Post Poll - Broncos W's

Instead, the Broncos have three half-fullbacks (tailback-fullback Peyton Hillis, linebacker-fullback Spencer Larsen and guard-fullback Russ Hochstein).

"You would like to have guys that if you fall upon some injuries, they come in and play and you don't necessarily fall too many levels down in terms of your performance," McDaniels said.

Aside from the addition of Holliday, there were no surprises to the Broncos' initial 53-man roster.

The inclusion of Jarvis Moss was not a surprise given his encouraging performance during the preseason and the $1.96 million it would have cost the Broncos to cut him.

Other notable names on the cut list were Kory Lichtensteiger, considered the heir apparent to center Tom Nalen when he was selected in the fourth round of the 2008 draft; and safety Vernon Fox.

well see...either ortons finger wasnt as bad as advertised or hes just gonna do mental reps and stuff. no way he can play a few days after having his finger come in two. simms however will prolly start at cincy

Pseudofool
09-06-2009, 08:06 AM
Well, I heard that Brandstater is starting so clearly this article is making things up.

brncs_fan
09-06-2009, 08:52 AM
Link?

elsid13
09-06-2009, 08:56 AM
Link?

it from the post this morning. Orton with stitches is going to struggle throwing that ball, I expect Simms to be the starter, Brandstater to be #2 and Orton the emergency QB

meangene
09-06-2009, 09:05 AM
it from the post this morning. Orton with stitches is going to struggle throwing that ball, I expect Simms to be the starter, Brandstater to be #2 and Orton the emergency QB

I have felt since the injury that Simms would end up starting Week 1. Moreno must be ready to go with us only carrying four backs. Simms is still going to be bothered by that ankle somewhat - high ankle sprains tend to linger - so I'm looking at a pretty have dose of run first in Week 1.

go_broncos
09-06-2009, 09:11 AM
Bad news...I was hoping that Tom B will start against Cin.

Pseudofool
09-06-2009, 09:42 AM
Bad news...I was hoping that Tom B will start against Cin.Why? Because you want to lose and hand the Seahawks a high draft pick by the end of the year?

BroncoBuff
09-06-2009, 09:47 AM
We shouldn't expect the full story of course.

TheDave
09-06-2009, 10:11 AM
Why? Because you want to lose and hand the Seahawks a high draft pick by the end of the year?

Careful man, there is a crazy assed "Brandy" contigent running around here who thinks he is clearly our best option right now...

As for me, this is good news Orton and Simms obviously give us our best chance to win. (God that is still hard to say)

Tombstone RJ
09-06-2009, 10:13 AM
I hope Simms starts. That would be cool, I'd love to see what he can do.

RhymesayersDU
09-06-2009, 10:19 AM
Why? Because you want to lose and hand the Seahawks a high draft pick by the end of the year?

Yeah, because with Orton or Simms we are guaranteed wins, because they're both uber successful QBs with loads of talent.

/jerk off motion

listopencil
Careful man, there is a crazy assed "Brandy" contigent running around here who thinks he is clearly our best option right now...

As for me, this is good news Orton and Simms obviously give us our best chance to win. (God that is still hard to say)

I need a program, hard to keep track of the cliques.

The Negative Nancys

The Mindless Homer Brigade

The Spurned Lovers (Cutler?)

The Sad Widows (Shanny?)

The McLovers

The Brandy Contingent

Who am I missing?

Boobs McGee
I'm really curious to see what Simms can do in a regular season game with this offense. Obviously for me, Orton is the favorite of the three, and if he DOES play in the opener, that is just gonna generate huuuuuge amounts of respect from the locker room. Literally, the bones in the guy's finger were sticking out of the skin last week. Don't know if you can get much tougher than that.

Any way you slice it, I'd like to have the qb out there that gives us the best chance to win. If it comes down to Tom tom, then so be it. I love the fact that he's improved so much through the preseason, but would much rather give him a chance to let McD groom him in a different manner than trial by fire.

Whatever happens, it's FINALLY REGULAR SEASON!!!! I swear this has been the longest offseason ever, and I'm just glad time to start playin for trophy now.

TheDave
09-06-2009, 10:22 AM

The Negative Nancys

The Sad Widows (Shanny?)

The McLovers

The Brandy Contingent

Who am I missing?

Moopy Mafia?

Tombstone RJ
09-06-2009, 10:28 AM

The Negative Nancys

The Sad Widows (Shanny?)

The McLovers

The Brandy Contingent

Who am I missing?

The Blame-it-on-Pat Bowlen Flamers

Kid A
09-06-2009, 10:42 AM

Seems likely. Either way it's good news if Simms or Orton is available. Starting a rookie in week 1 is a measure of last resort as far as I'm concerned, not something to look forward to.

tsiguy96
09-06-2009, 11:22 AM
Seems likely. Either way it's good news if Simms or Orton is available. Starting a rookie in week 1 is a measure of last resort as far as I'm concerned, not something to look forward to.

tell that to the ravens or falcons last year.

~Crash~
09-06-2009, 11:34 AM

he is a low round drafted QB not the same.

Kid A
09-06-2009, 11:51 AM

Obviously there are exceptions, and that's largely why those two got so much attention: rookies QBs usually aren't successful. Not to mention they were 1st round picks which indicates 1) they were considered more prepared to play at the NFL level and 2) their teams had more invested/more reason to start them early.

Agree or not, the Denver staff believes we have a couple solid veteran QBs on the depth chart (an option neither Atlanta or Baltimore had), and until Orton and Simms have shown they aren't capable, it's not at all worth throwing a 6th round rookie into the fire.

footstepsfrom#27
09-06-2009, 11:57 AM
Having seen the ball Orton throws when healthy, I can only imagine what his passes look like with his finger sewed together like an old sock. I'm going to predict that at some point this season, Brandstater will start at least a couple of games. I've been reading up on this guy a bit. He's not the normal rookie hotshot who comes in with a flashy college resume, a fat contract and and questionable grey matter. For starters, he managed to digest four college playbooks under four different OC's...all while graduating early and earning a masters degree in sports psychology. How many NFL rookies arrive with a masters degree? In this draft, I think the answer is one. The primary knock on him so far is his supposed inability to grasp the playbook, but I'm betting he not only grasps it, he gets it every bit as well as Orton does. McD's primary weakness is his ego, which means he's going to have trouble moving off of Orton. But sooner or later I think he's going to re-think that this year, probably around game 10. Shanny started Cutler in game 12 as a rookie, and I think this guy sees the field by then also. He probably won't be handed the job, but I bet he gets a shot at showing what he can do.

peacepipe
09-06-2009, 12:01 PM
he is a low round drafted QB not the same.

What round was tom brady drafted in!? How about Matt Cassel.

TheDave
09-06-2009, 12:03 PM
Having seen the ball Orton throws when healthy, I can only imagine what his passes look like with his finger sewed together like an old sock. I'm going to predict that at some point this season, Brandstater will start at least a couple of games. I've been reading up on this guy a bit. He's not the normal rookie hotshot who comes in with a flashy college resume, a fat contract and and questionable grey matter. For starters, he managed to digest four college playbooks under four different OC's...all while graduating early and earning a masters degree in sports psychology. How many NFL rookies arrive with a masters degree? In this draft, I think the answer is one. The primary knock on him so far is his supposed inability to grasp the playbook, but I'm betting he not only grasps it, he gets it every bit as well as Orton does. McD's primary weakness is his ego, which means he's going to have trouble moving off of Orton. But sooner or later I think he's going to re-think that this year, probably around game 10. Shanny started Cutler in game 12 as a rookie, and I think this guy sees the field by then also. He probably won't be handed the job, but I bet he gets a shot at showing what he can do.

I think starting Brandstater becomes a legitamate discussion around the Bye week assuming a couple of things...

1. Both Orton and Simms have shown they can't get it done.
2. We are already behind the 8 ball from a win-loss standpoint.

At that point it is fair to see what this kid can do and to start preparing for 2011

cabronco
09-06-2009, 12:04 PM
Only problem I see with Simms starting, if he's unable to move around in the pocket due to the high ankle sprain. He is not as good in the pocket as he is by moving around making plays. I would think if he's struggling in the game, or hurting alot and we're behind , McD would send in Brandstater.

Pseudofool
09-06-2009, 12:06 PM
Yeah, because with Orton or Simms we are guaranteed wins, because they're both uber successful QBs with loads of talent.

/jerk off motionWho said anything about guaranteed wins? Just because Orton and Simms are subpar doesn't mean that Brandy can't be loads worse. Some mindless logic at work here, I guess.

TheDave
09-06-2009, 12:07 PM
What round was tom brady drafted in!? How about Matt Cassel.

Neither started as rookies...

Bronco Yoda
09-06-2009, 12:07 PM
:rofl:I need a program, hard to keep track of the cliques.

The Negative Nancys

The Sad Widows (Shanny?)

The McLovers

The Brandy Contingent

Who am I missing?

:rofl:

CHANGSTER
09-06-2009, 12:09 PM
Im kind of excited to see what Simms can do if he indeed does get the start. I know a lot of us are secretly (in a couple cases not so secretly) want Simms to succeed over Orton based on his physical ability.

Pseudofool
09-06-2009, 12:12 PM
McD's primary weakness is his ego, I guess you have a Master's in Sports Psychology too. (Not that I put any stock into it since it's Kiszla, but in his recent mailbag he said McD's ego wasn't anything compared to Shanny. So there's at least one person closer to the situation than you who doesn't identify McD's problem as egoism). FWIW, everything about McD strikes me as anti-ego (which one might construe as another form of egoism)--team first, hustle, no player above the team, etc.

Smarts doesn't make up for experience. Brandy has no NFL in game experience beyond preseason, and he has limited experience working with our first team. Simms and Orton as crappy as they be, both have won at teh NFL level. It's patently absurd to believe that Brandy would be better then them at this point. Speaking of egoism, to believe that watching a few preseason games puts you in an analytical position to deem Brandy ready is not only foolhardy but near meglomania.

Bronco Yoda
09-06-2009, 12:16 PM
I sure hope Simms ankle can make it.

HooptyHoops
09-06-2009, 12:19 PM
Branstater did look good...but, I don't think we will see him this season...there could be a very interesting camp battle next year with these three QB's.

Gort
09-06-2009, 12:33 PM
I think starting Brandstater becomes a legitamate discussion around the Bye week assuming a couple of things...

At that point it is fair to see what this kid can do and to start preparing for 2011

preparing for 2011? you're one of the negative nancies, huh?

(every other poster on this forum except Lex) > TheDave

footstepsfrom#27
09-06-2009, 01:18 PM
I guess you have a Master's in Sports Psychology too. (Not that I put any stock into it since it's Kiszla, but in his recent mailbag he said McD's ego wasn't anything compared to Shanny. So there's at least one person closer to the situation than you who doesn't identify McD's problem as egoism).
So you think that having a smaller ego than Shanny means ego is not a problem? I guess there are people crazier than Al Davis as well...that hardly makes Alzheimers Davis mentally stable does it? As you said...it's Mark Kiszla. How credible is he? I'm guessing he'd like to continue to enjoy access to the Broncos head coach for interviews...don't you think?
FWIW, everything about McD strikes me as anti-ego (which one might construe as another form of egoism)--team first, hustle, no player above the team, etc.
FWIW...those things involve OTHER PEOPLE'S egos, not his. Jimmy Johnson was a believer in shutting down player egos also, but his was enormous. He stressed teamwork because that subordinates a players ego to the coaches. Is all this a bad thing? No...it's necessary. Is it without side effects? That's debateable. Great coaches, like most leaders, usually have big egos. The key though, is whether they let it interfere with their task or not. In Shanahan's case, he did. Clearly he had reached the point where he thought he could dictate to Bowlen about Slowick and other issues. McD is a rookie, not a 14 year future HOF candidate, and he's already had no compulsion about going head to head with the team's franchise QB and the established people in the front office. If he lasts in the league that long, what do you think his ego looks like in 14 years?
Smarts doesn't make up for experience. Brandy has no NFL in game experience beyond preseason, and he has limited experience working with our first team. Simms and Orton as crappy as they be, both have won at teh NFL level. It's patently absurd to believe that Brandy would be better then them at this point. Speaking of egoism, to believe that watching a few preseason games puts you in an analytical position to deem Brandy ready is not only foolhardy but near meglomania.
Lets not go off the deep end here OK? I never said smarts makes up for experience, and I'm not basing my opinion on watching two preseason games because that would be stupid. As I noted, I've been reading up on him prior to him getting here, and I'm merely expressing an opinion on what I think might happen. Is there something wrong with suggesting he will get a look sometime this year? Let's remember who he's competing against here...in your words, two "crappy" QB's. Kyle Orton wasn't traded along with a couple of #1 picks because he's the 2nd coming of Joe Montana. He won at Chicago because he had a great defense and dynamite special teams supporting him. You've seen his game in this offense while healthy...were you impressed with those screen passes? Orton has done nothing to indicate he deserves unquestioned loyalty from the fans or that he will even receive it from the coach. Early returns suggest the opposite.

My point was two-fold; the kid's not only smart, he's also obviously very dedicated. This guy is considerably more mature than your average rookie. He had the dedication to pursue not just his degree while playing Division I football, but he got his Masters as well. Don't gloss over that like it's nothing. Having done grad school, we both know how much work that takes, and obviously if you're dividing time between football and studies, you have to be EXTREMELY dedicated to get a masters degree while doing that. He was an all academic achiever as well. I'm stressing his ability to intellectually master the content of the playbook here, which is one of the primary reasons rookies struggle. Brady and Griese were both cerebral QB's and both had almost no experience when they started, having thrown 3 total passes in the NFL. Granted they had a training camp and year under their belts, but both sat initially behind established vets and both entered the game as starters because the team had no other viable option. That, IMO is the same or similar situation here.

This offense stresses a smart, intelligent game manager working within a system. Clearly this guy fits that profile, and his physical abilities are obviuosly clearly superior to Orton's. This team is facing a murderous schedule. A playoff berth is a major stretch no matter what the homers in here think, and if they're out of it by week 10, why would it be so impossible to imagine that McD would take a peek at the future instead of playing out the string with a guy who hasn't indicated he's the answer?

If you think about it...I'm actually paying tribute to the ability of McDaniels to work with quarterback talent.

TheDave
09-06-2009, 02:05 PM
preparing for 2011? you're one of the negative nancies, huh?

(every other poster on this forum except Lex) > TheDave

Was this sarcasm or are you really that stupid?

KevinJames
09-06-2009, 02:14 PM

I agree I don't wanna see Brandstater start unlesss we know Simms and Orton are ass cheeks or they aren't putting Ws on the board

cutthemdown
09-06-2009, 02:20 PM

/jerk off motion

Orton has what 30 wins in the NFL, something like that? How can you compare that to a player who hasn't even one throw in a real game yet.

LOL

Another stupid long time poster. Man this place is going down hill faster then a bobsled.

Pseudofool
09-06-2009, 02:25 PM
Fair enough. I mostly took issue with McD ego statement, which I think at this point is pretty baseless. That said, I'm encouraged by Brandy's smarts and dedication as well, but I'm going to be cynical of any QB who lasts until the 6th round and who is lauded for rather lackluster preseason work. Between Simms and Orton, I don't think he'll have much a shot this year; but I do think the Michigan pair are fair comparisons.

TheDave
09-06-2009, 02:29 PM
Orton has what 30 wins in the NFL, something like that? How can you compare that to a player who hasn't even one throw in a real game yet.

LOL

Another stupid long time poster. Man this place is going down hill faster then a bobsled.

Believe it or not... You're not helping things.

This is a crap situation no matter how you slice it. Injuries to your top 2 QB's is tough for any team. It's especially tough for a team (and by extension the fans of the team) that just traded a young pro-bowl type.

Look I'm in on the joke that's it's easier to just break this into optimistic/pessimistic or Good fan/Bad fan but there is a lot more going on here.

footstepsfrom#27
09-06-2009, 02:34 PM
Fair enough. I mostly took issue with McD ego statement, which I think at this point is pretty baseless. That said, I'm encouraged by Brandy's smarts and dedication as well, but I'm going to be cynical of any QB who lasts until the 6th round and who is lauded for rather lackluster preseason work. Between Simms and Orton, I don't think he'll have much a shot this year; but I do think the Michigan pair are fair comparisons.
Lackluster? How would you characterize Orton's play then?

I'm not sure why anyone at this point would object to McDaniels being characterized as having an ego. How many 32 year old NFL head coaches are there? He didn't get to this point without an ego, and BTW...if he didn't have one, I wouldn't want him. Ego drives people to acheive.

cutthemdown
09-06-2009, 02:38 PM
Believe it or not... You're not helping things.

This is a crap situation no matter how you slice it. Injuries to your top 2 QB's is tough for any team. It's especially tough for a team (and by extension the fans of the team) that just traded a young pro-bowl type.

Look I'm in on the joke that's it's easier to just break this into optimistic/pessimistic or Good fan/Bad fan but there is a lot more going on here.

I will continue to point out fans that are being unreasonable and ignorant. It's just plain stupid to want a rookie who hasn't thrown a pass over either Orton or Simms.

listopencil
09-06-2009, 02:41 PM
Moopy Mafia?

Ah yeah, how could I forget that one? That has a nice ring to it.

TheDave
09-06-2009, 02:43 PM
I will continue to point out fans that are being unreasonable and ignorant. It's just plain stupid to want a rookie who hasn't thrown a pass over either Orton or Simms.

You should have been in the "Brandstater to start" thread... There is an amazingly large contingent (both new and old posters) that think "Brandy" starting in Cinci is our best option.

Uncertainty at the QB position is back with a vengeance.

listopencil
09-06-2009, 02:43 PM
The Blame-it-on-Pat Bowlen Flamers

I think lex coined the phrase "disemBOWLENned", gotta be a way to work that in.

footstepsfrom#27
09-06-2009, 02:52 PM
Maybe if either QB were 1) healthy, and 2) looked capable of doing something, this contingent of "Brandy" supporters wouldn't have taken root. Both these guys have an injury history that does not exactly encourage confidence. That's continuing now in Denver as it has in the past. Orton with stitches on his finger is possibly just as big a question mark as the rookie right now.

listopencil
09-06-2009, 02:58 PM
You should have been in the "Brandstater to start" thread... There is an amazingly large contingent (both new and old posters) that think "Brandy" starting in Cinci is our best option.

Uncertainty at the QB position is back with a vengeance.

Definitely, and you can blame poor QB'ing on the parts of Orton and Simms.

FireFly
09-06-2009, 05:12 PM
In my mind there's only a 50/50 chance of Orton being ready to go, perhaps even less. McDaniels would be smart, if it was looking like Orton might not be able to start, to put information out there that he was ready to go; make the Bengals game plan for it.

He could even suit up Sunday and then one of the other 2 could start!

baja
09-06-2009, 05:19 PM
In my mind there's only a 50/50 chance of Orton being ready to go, perhaps even less.<B> McDaniels would be smart, if it was looking like Orton might not be able to start, to put information out there that he was ready to go; make the Bengals game plan for it.</b>

Good idea except it's the first game of the season with a new system and three new QBs playing in it what would they prepare for.

tsiguy96
09-06-2009, 05:19 PM
In my mind there's only a 50/50 chance of Orton being ready to go, perhaps even less. McDaniels would be smart, if it was looking like Orton might not be able to start, to put information out there that he was ready to go; make the Bengals game plan for it.

he had an OPEN DISLOCATION! on his main throwing finger. there is no way hes ready to play after 2 weeks.
http://img.medscape.com/pi/emed/ckb/clinical_procedures/79926-79928-109206-493126.jpg

maybe not exactly what his was like, but how is he gonna play with something similar to that? i would definitely say that we are gonna hear all week taht orton is starting, then find out simms or tom is starting week 1.

BroncoBuff
09-06-2009, 06:31 PM
Definitely, and you can blame poor QB'ing on the parts of Orton and Simms.

You're half right.

BroncoBuff
09-06-2009, 06:45 PM
he had an OPEN DISLOCATION! on his main throwing finger. there is no way hes ready to play after 2 weeks.
http://img.medscape.com/pi/emed/ckb/clinical_procedures/79926-79928-109206-493126.jpg

maybe not exactly what his was like, but how is he gonna play with something similar to that? i would definitely say that we are gonna hear all week taht orton is starting, then find out simms or tom is starting week 1.

I've been saying that since Day 1, the night of the game.

That is one nasty injury for a QB, a potential season-ender. They're blowing smoke talking about Week 1, even Week 2 imo.

errand
09-06-2009, 07:35 PM

The Negative Nancys

The Sad Widows (Shanny?)

The McLovers

The Brandy Contingent

Who am I missing?

The Ewey Gooey Girls of course.....ROFL!

errand
09-06-2009, 07:39 PM

That's more the exception than the rule.....it's even more rare that rookie QB's on team's led by rookie head coaches have success.

tsiguy96
09-06-2009, 07:44 PM
That's more the exception than the rule.....it's even more rare that rookie QB's on team's led by rookie head coaches have success.

its becoming more the rule in recent times and teams are being successful with it. sanchez and stafford are gonna start this year as well. if you have a supporting cast thats not gonna get a rookie QB killed and shell shock them, theyll be fine.

errand
09-06-2009, 08:00 PM
Maybe if either QB were 1) healthy, and 2) looked capable of doing something, this contingent of "Brandy" supporters wouldn't have taken root. .

I'm sorry..but, this is the same type of mentality that was exhibited by alot of fans in '83...and '99.

Fans witnessed Elway throw a nice tight spiral, and started on the "Elway should be our starter" line. DeBerg played just as well but it was vs the starting lineups of our preseason opponents...not the 2nd teamers. Reeves like a young head coach probably would have, let the media and fans pick his starter.

Elway started our opener against Pittsburgh...and was promptly benched after a 1st qtr that saw him complete 1 of 7 for 14 yards, with an interception and being sacked 3 times. DeBerg had to come out and save the day. In fact he came off the bench in like the first 3-4 games until Dan finally pulled the plug on the Fan's choice.

In fairness to Elway, he was clearly playing better after he returned to starter status upon DeBerg hurting his shoulder. He even admitted sitting an watching DeBerg play was helpful in his being able to absorb the playbook without getting his confidence shot.

The same thing in '99...Bubby Brister had played extremely well in the previous season tossing 10 TD's vs. 3 INT's as Elway's back-up for about 3-4 games..but he, like Orton tossed a few WTF INT's in the pre-season vs. the starters. Brian Griese played better vs the scrubs...and again another QB controversy started mostly by the fans and media was born. Mike believing he could get Griese to play at a high level benched Brister and started Brian.

It tore the locker room apart, and we started off 0-5 en route to a 6-10 season.

In fact if memory serves me right we even had a few Jarious Jackson supporters on here in '00 and '01 clamoring for him to start over Griese and Frerotte.

Starting unproven rookies and 1st year starters isn't the best recipe for success....and our history proves it

errand
09-06-2009, 08:07 PM
its becoming more the rule in recent times and teams are being successful with it. sanchez and stafford are gonna start this year as well. if you have a supporting cast thats not gonna get a rookie QB killed and shell shock them, theyll be fine.

Yes, but you'd better have a good defense and running game, or watered down playbook to hide his inexperience.

But, again playing the percentages, you're usually gonna have more success starting a veteran over a rookie...

I'm not saying Brandstater cannot play in the NFL...hell he's made a roster, so he belongs. But his lack of experience at the NFL level will in most games put our chances of winning them in jeopardy.

That's the same concern some have about Simms and Orton as well....they've been in the NFL 4-6 years...but, they have limited starting experience, and that is cause for concern. However, they've also had some success at the NFL level too, which in my opinion means they should be given first crack at trying to get us to the playoffs.

orange 4 life
09-07-2009, 11:35 PM
Bad news...I was hoping that Tom B will start against Cin.

So you actually WANT to lose?

Cito Pelon
09-08-2009, 08:43 AM

The Negative Nancys

The Sad Widows (Shanny?)

The McLovers

The Brandy Contingent

Who am I missing?

The Hysterical Hens

Cito Pelon
09-08-2009, 09:16 AM

LOL

Ya know, I liked how Brand looked. He got a lot of starts under his belt in College, so he has some seasoning that a lot of rookies don't have. He also didn't look lost like many rookies do, the O looked pretty crisp.

Granted it was only preseason, but I could see really good NFL skills exhibited. He throws a beautiful spiral with velocity and accuracy, didn't panic at any time and throw the ball up for grabs.

Plus, he's on a roll right now. If indeed he starts, I'm looking forward to see if he can keep it rolling.

If Simms is healthy enough to start, that's fine with me too. Orton, I just can't see it.

Whatever happens, I'm looking forward to the game. It's gonna be interesting to see what the 2009 edition of the Broncs look like in all three phases.

Cito Pelon
09-08-2009, 09:23 AM
I think lex coined the phrase "disemBOWLENned", gotta be a way to work that in.

The DisemBowlened Diddlers