PDA

View Full Version : Pickem League Installed

Rock Chalk
09-04-2009, 01:37 PM
Well, mostly. It works, you can make picks, we can go with it but the menu part hasnt been integrated on the user control panel. I have to wait for Taco, maybe tonight, probably tomorrow before we make the DB adjustments that have to be made.

Anyway, go look at it: http://www.orangemane.com/BB/pickem.php

After we get teh menu integrated there will be a link on the left hand navigation in the User Control Panel (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/usercp.php) that will allow you to navigate to the pickem league and all the features it has.

Rock Chalk
09-04-2009, 01:59 PM
Bumpity bump bump bump bitches.

Go make picks, report back to me what picks you made so I can ensure that I alter them if you end up ahead of me at the end of next week.

DomCasual
09-04-2009, 02:08 PM
Bumpity bump bump bump b****es.

Go make picks, report back to me what picks you made so I can ensure that I alter them if you end up ahead of me at the end of next week.

Or, if your wife has a baby, or you just get busy, you can stop updating it, and stuff. :kiss:

Rock Chalk
09-04-2009, 02:15 PM
Actually the mods will be able to update the weeks as well. I made it so that me, taco and all the mods can update the weekly game results (but none of us can manipulate any user's picks) in case some of us aren't available to update them.

TheDave
09-04-2009, 02:17 PM
Actually the mods will be able to update the weeks as well. I made it so that me, taco and all the mods can update the weekly game results (but none of us can manipulate any user's picks) in case some of us aren't available to update them.

So if the mane crashes it's now your fault?

ludo21
09-04-2009, 02:19 PM
Made my picks!!!

Believe it or not, I picked Denver to win this week

Dukes
09-04-2009, 02:26 PM
I like the last rule

Eldorado
09-04-2009, 02:35 PM
Do I send my picks to you or taco?

Rock Chalk
09-04-2009, 02:39 PM

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/pickem.php

Go to "Make Picks" at the top, enter your picks. Dont send your picks to any one.

I like the last rule
Yeah, I liked that one too :)

Hotrod
09-04-2009, 02:42 PM
I like the last rule

Reading the rules is for pussys ;)

I feel dirty picking the Bungles

Eldorado
09-04-2009, 02:43 PM

Go to "Make Picks" at the top, enter your picks. Dont send your picks to any one.

I know I already did. I was gonna drag out a long 'who's on first' thing just to mess w you but its friday, so screw it. Cheers, thanks for doing that, it looks like fun.

TheDave
09-04-2009, 02:45 PM
Made my picks!!!

Believe it or not, I picked Denver to win this week

Same here...

DomCasual
09-04-2009, 02:46 PM

Oh, so we're actually PMing our picks? Isn't there a way to just put them into the system, like Yahoo?

What time do we have to PM them by?

If you want, I could build you a spreadsheet to help keep track of things. It's going to get complicated with everyone PMing the picks. You might even want to see if TJ could give you a bigger PM Inbox. 200 messages is going to fill up fast.

It's too bad we can't just enter them into the system, like on Yahoo.

TheReverend
09-04-2009, 02:46 PM
Okay so at the end of the season when I win (and I WILL win), what do I win?

And by "what", I mean "how much cash"

Rock Chalk
09-04-2009, 02:48 PM
Actually the syhstem doesnt register the picks of anyone who registered in APril of 2005.

TheReverend
09-04-2009, 02:49 PM
Wait.....

If there's no weekly winner and only a seasonal winner....... why are we doing the "Total MNF" score thing?

Dukes
09-04-2009, 02:53 PM
Wait.....

If there's no weekly winner and only a seasonal winner....... why are we doing the "Total MNF" score thing?

And dortoh called me a p***y for reading the rules.........

TheReverend
09-04-2009, 02:57 PM

Oh okay... I think a play off pick em would be a better tie-breaker. BRB, PMing my complaint to Rock Chalk.

Rock Chalk
09-04-2009, 03:08 PM
Wait.....

Because at teh end of the year there may be a tie. The MNF score is the tiebreaker.

I wanted to do weekly winners and such as well as the annual winner with bonus' to teh score of weekly winners but time didn't permit me to put in all the cool features I wanted to put into the system.

However, over the course of the season I will be adding features on my test server for implementing next year based on feedback from users as well things I had to unfortunately leave out of version 1.0.

For Instance Next Season WIll Have:

"MyStats" which will show your tendencies to pick road teams vs home teams, your tendencies to pick certain teams to win (ie, you pick San Diego to win 85% of the time and Denver to win 2% of the time, I figure this is probably how you will pick Rev, being the fair weather fan that you are :). How many times you won a week, ho many times you got more than 10+ correct picks in a week and maybe some other stats I dont know yet.

"GlobalStats" WIthout giving out user info, many of the same stats above concerning what teams are picked at what percentage week to week and annually.

"Team Names". Next season Im going to add the ability for everyone to give their picks a Team Name like in Fantasy Football.

"Weekly Leaderboards". Those on teh leaderboard will have their picks from all previous weeks shown to the whole board.

"Time Zone variations" Right now all times are shown Eastern, next year the time displayed for games and such will be whatever time zone that you have in your profile area.

"Game by game deadlines". Right now, the deadline is 30 minutes before the first kick off of the week. After that NO PICKS can be made for that week. Next year it will be 30 minutes before EACH game that way if say, you forget to pick a thursday night game, you can still pick the weekends games and not fall too far behind.

"Free and Prize Leagues". Next year we may implement a free league for fun, and a prize league for prizes. Prize league will be 20 dollars to play for the year. The end prize will probably be something like a 32 inch plasma TV for the annual winner and some smaller prizes for weekly winners. Free league will still be available to all.

"Competition League". This is a team based pickem league. With teams facing off against each other. Combined scores from each member of the team are compared against combined scores from each member of the other team. Whoever wins, gets a point for the week. Bragging rights to ensue.

All stuff i really wanted to put into the league this year but folks, I do this on my spare time and i just ran out of it.

Hotrod
09-04-2009, 03:11 PM

:giggle:

I ment it as a compliment :)

Rock Chalk
09-04-2009, 03:13 PM
Complaints to be directed to Taco John.

Suggestions and feedback directed to me. :)

Rock Chalk
09-04-2009, 03:14 PM
So if the mane crashes it's now your fault?

If the mane crashes it wont have anything to do with me.

Now if I am making some changes to the code or something in the pickem league the User CP may be unavailable particularly if I have an extra = or a missing ; which I am prone to do.

DomCasual
09-04-2009, 03:16 PM
I wanted to do weekly winners and such as well as the annual winner with bonus' to teh score of weekly winners but time didn't permit me to put in all the cool features I wanted to put into the system.

You should look into a system like Yahoo, where you just enter your picks right into the system. It would save you a lot of time, so we could maybe do weekly winners.

There's nothing wrong with the PM thing. Don't get me wrong on that at all. But it's just cool on Yahoo how you just put your picks right into the system.

Maybe just take a look at their site. It might give you some ideas: http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com/pickem

Rock Chalk
09-04-2009, 03:19 PM
Dude I dont know if you are being sarcastic or not Dom.

DomCasual
09-04-2009, 03:20 PM

HAHAHAHAHA - That's the nicest thing anyone's said to me today. :)

Dukes
09-04-2009, 04:43 PM

:rofl:

Rock Chalk
09-04-2009, 08:09 PM
Sorry for the bump but I just added the ability for people to go view their picks in a grid format. As each week finishes, the background color of the grid will be either red or green, depending on if you get the pick right.

It will only show weeks you have picked winners in.

ghwk
09-04-2009, 08:37 PM
Oh, so we're actually PMing our picks? Isn't there a way to just put them into the system, like Yahoo?

What time do we have to PM them by?

If you want, I could build you a spreadsheet to help keep track of things. It's going to get complicated with everyone PMing the picks. You might even want to see if TJ could give you a bigger PM Inbox. 200 messages is going to fill up fast.

It's too bad we can't just enter them into the system, like on Yahoo.

Ok I've got my spreadsheet built. Taco when do you want it??? Also I hope it's not a problem that it is in a beta version of excel 1993. ROFL!ROFL!ROFL!

ghwk
09-04-2009, 08:42 PM
Oh yeah and nice job Rock. Now if it could only be more like Yahoo's like Dom suggested. I find Dom to be very insightful.

Taco John
09-04-2009, 08:43 PM
Ok I've got my spreadsheet built. Taco when do you want it??? Also I hope it's not a problem that it is in a beta version of excel 1993. ROFL!ROFL!ROFL!

I will not accept anything that isn't done in word perfect

Taco John
09-04-2009, 08:44 PM
Oh yeah and nice job Rock. Now if it could only be more like Yahoo's like Dom suggested. I find Dom to be very insightful.

I pay $5 bucks a week for his fantastic newsletter.

Rock Chalk
09-04-2009, 08:44 PM
Yeah, next year it will have more stuff.

Yahoo has a team of MIT engineers working on their ****.

Im just one dude.

Rock Chalk
09-04-2009, 08:45 PM
Taco while you are here PM me your email and you can go ahead and edit that table.

TheReverend
09-04-2009, 10:13 PM
So I wanna do my friends fiancee and she's really beggin for me to do her...

Or wrong thread?

Rock Chalk
09-08-2009, 10:33 AM
Ok folks, Taco was supposed to put the menu up last night but I guess he got busy.

Anyway, this is a bump for reminder as Thursday is this week's cutoff deadline for week 1.

Mr. Elway
09-08-2009, 10:51 AM
Nice work! I am curious how you did this - API, mashup, or *gulp* did you hand code the entire thing?

24champ
09-08-2009, 10:56 AM
Nice work Alec.

Made my picks.

Rock Chalk
09-08-2009, 10:57 AM
Nice work! I am curious how you did this - API, mashup, or *gulp* did you hand code the entire thing?

I used vBulletin's framework and custom coding for the league itself.

There really isnt a lot of code to this though. Once I worked out how to integrate into vBulletin's framework it took me about 2 hours to do the whole thing.

BroncoBuff
09-08-2009, 11:01 AM
Great work, Alec ... thanks.

REMEMBER THURSDAY EVERYBODY .... game is day after tomorrow!

Rock Chalk
09-08-2009, 11:03 AM
Damn before I made this announcement 751 people had made picks. Now 812 have made picks.

24champ
09-08-2009, 11:11 AM
So I wanna do my friends fiancee and she's really beggin for me to do her...

Or wrong thread?

http://threadbombing.com/data/media/2/Alba_Get_in.gif

TheReverend
09-08-2009, 11:20 AM
http://threadbombing.com/data/media/2/Alba_Get_in.gif

Yeah I've realized now that I just can't hang out with them anymore... otherwise this could get bad.

Punisher
09-08-2009, 11:29 AM
I'm gonna call it,The guy posting this comment is the Champion on the O-Mane Pickem League :)

BroncoBuff
09-08-2009, 11:42 AM
When I click "My Picks" it doesn't display the last couple games ???

Rock Chalk
09-08-2009, 11:47 AM
When I click "My Picks" it doesn't display the last couple games ???

Hmm, it does on mine. Whats your password let me verify :)

No, seriously if it doesnt show your last couple of games, check to make sure you actually made the picks.

If you are did, I will check it out.

24champ
09-08-2009, 11:51 AM
Yeah I've realized now that I just can't hang out with them anymore... otherwise this could get bad.

****ing morals.

Mr. Elway
09-08-2009, 12:32 PM
I used vBulletin's framework and custom coding for the league itself.

There really isnt a lot of code to this though. Once I worked out how to integrate into vBulletin's framework it took me about 2 hours to do the whole thing.

Cool. What about the league data for the games, teams, etc? Do you design a datasource and then enter everything for the season manually or can you obtain it from a syndicated feed or some such thing?

I ask because I am a programmer and I thought about rolling my own pickem league for my family game but I figured it would take a lot of work (on the data side, also all the business logic for recording the picks and enforcing deadlines, etc).

Anyway props to you and a big REP! :strong:

Rock Chalk
09-08-2009, 12:47 PM
Cool. What about the league data for the games, teams, etc? Do you design a datasource and then enter everything for the season manually or can you obtain it from a syndicated feed or some such thing?

I ask because I am a programmer and I thought about rolling my own pickem league for my family game but I figured it would take a lot of work (on the data side, also all the business logic for recording the picks and enforcing deadlines, etc).

Anyway props to you and a big REP! :strong:

The league data is really just the schedule which is all I needed. Home team, AWay team, week game is played and date-time of game.

However if you know of a syndicated feed for the NFL schedule that could get me those relevant values in CSV format that would save me about 45 minutes each year of creating the spreadsheet for the annual schedule to import into the database.

Enforcing the deadlines is easy. I did it the really easy way this year because we were running out of time, but really all you do is take the datetime of the game and compare it to the current datetime of the server's time zone +- the difference from the server time zone to Eastern time minus 30 minutes from the first game of the week (sorted by date in teh DB, ASC). Now next year I will take that basic formula and apply it to every single game that way if you miss a thursday night game or so you can still make the weekend picks and not be completely out of it the rest of the year.

The pick recording is a bit more complex and probably not a good idea to discuss here.

I just made some updates because Buff is an idiot. ANd like I told him he didnt have all his picks in. So when your picks are made the Make/Edit Picks screen will show a light red background for away team and a light green background for home team picks. PIcks not made will remain with a white background.

Mr. Elway
09-08-2009, 12:59 PM
The league data is really just the schedule which is all I needed. Home team, AWay team, week game is played and date-time of game.

However if you know of a syndicated feed for the NFL schedule that could get me those relevant values in CSV format that would save me about 45 minutes each year of creating the spreadsheet for the annual schedule to import into the database.

Enforcing the deadlines is easy. I did it the really easy way this year because we were running out of time, but really all you do is take the datetime of the game and compare it to the current datetime of the server's time zone +- the difference from the server time zone to Eastern time minus 30 minutes from the first game of the week (sorted by date in teh DB, ASC). Now next year I will take that basic formula and apply it to every single game that way if you miss a thursday night game or so you can still make the weekend picks and not be completely out of it the rest of the year.

The pick recording is a bit more complex and probably not a good idea to discuss here.

I just made some updates because Buff is an idiot. ANd like I told him he didnt have all his picks in. So when your picks are made the Make/Edit Picks screen will show a light red background for away team and a light green background for home team picks. PIcks not made will remain with a white background.

Unfortunately I don't know of a feed, but maybe I will get motivated at some point and build one. A web service seems like a good model for this - then provide adaptor code samples for consuming it and then doing whatever with it.

Chris
09-08-2009, 01:17 PM
This is sweet.

HILife
09-08-2009, 01:28 PM
interesting

Anaximines
09-08-2009, 01:33 PM
:thumbs: nice!

Rock Chalk
09-08-2009, 01:43 PM
1134 People Playing.

Guess its a hit :)

ChrisSimpy
09-08-2009, 01:54 PM
1134 People Playing.

Guess its a hit :)

It's alright :P

Rock Chalk
09-09-2009, 01:47 PM
I'm going to sticky this until me and Taco can work out a mutual time to add the damn menu to the control panel.

broncocalijohn
09-09-2009, 06:41 PM
Good job Rock and I would like to see a contest where we pick over/under on you spelling "the" ...... "teh". I have 200 at least for the week.

Rock Chalk
09-09-2009, 07:39 PM
Good job Rock and I would like to see a contest where we pick over/under on you spelling "the" ...... "teh". I have 200 at least for the week.

Its the way I type. Most of the time I cant get my left index finger on the h before I get my right middle finger on the e, which ends up teh.

Its the most common mistake in typing though, so common that almost every word editor automatically corrects it on the fly.

Rock Chalk
09-09-2009, 11:48 PM
Pickem Menu now installed!

Go to your user control panel (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/usercp.php) and on your left menu the pickem league navigation will be visible.

Taco John
09-09-2009, 11:49 PM
Thanks for your help on this Brother Adam... :)

Rock Chalk
09-10-2009, 12:00 AM
Thanks for your help on this Brother Adam... :)

That's ok, when you start collecting money next year in the prize league, we can talk about my service fee :)

TailgateNut
09-10-2009, 07:28 AM
Hope all the picks are in 'cause tonight the season IS ON! 'Bout frigging time. Gimme some football, I need my FIX!

TheReverend
09-10-2009, 07:30 AM
Pickem Menu now installed!

Go to your user control panel (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/usercp.php) and on your left menu the pickem league navigation will be visible.

The only thing I'm taking away from this is that we now can receive infractions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

:thumbsup:

24champ
09-10-2009, 07:34 AM
The only thing I'm taking away from this is that we now can receive infractions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

:thumbsup:

I was gonna say...zero infractions for Alec? There's a glitch if I saw one. ;D

Punisher
09-10-2009, 07:56 AM
<--------------Pickem League Champion

eddie mac
09-10-2009, 09:11 AM
Can I have the idiots guide on how to record the score numerically cos I've tried say 35-17 and that dont work.

TheReverend
09-10-2009, 09:14 AM
Can I have the idiots guide on how to record the score numerically cos I've tried say 35-17 and that dont work.

Total points man.

35-17 would be 52

Rock Chalk
09-10-2009, 10:30 AM
I was gonna say...zero infractions for Alec? There's a glitch if I saw one. ;D

I have an expired infraction.

Blueflame game me one for insulting that [insert your choice of derogatory names that are associated with females here] that made the "funny" Jake Plummer wig photoshops all the time.

Then Taco promptly banned me for the same comment.

But that's the only infraction I have ever received.

Rock Chalk
09-10-2009, 10:32 AM
Total points man.

35-17 would be 52

This.

TheReverend
09-10-2009, 10:37 AM
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj73/thereverend316/Infraction.jpg

http://4gifs.com/gallery/d/124155-1/WTFmanSloth.jpg

JK, I love it. Thanks dude

http://i30.tinypic.com/2a5hhub.gif

Rock Chalk
09-10-2009, 11:13 AM
I just added a time stamp on the Pickem Home page to let people know how long before each week's pick deadline has passed.

Just a FYI.

s0phr0syne
09-10-2009, 04:14 PM
:thumbs: nice!

good call on telling me about this.

nice job Alec, it's impressive

Rock Chalk
09-10-2009, 04:57 PM
Two minutes to pick deadline!

24champ
09-11-2009, 10:42 AM
I'm tied for first right now. :)

Punisher
09-11-2009, 10:46 AM
I'm tied for first right now. :)

Me too tied for 1st but in last place of the Ties Hilarious!

Rock Chalk
09-11-2009, 10:49 AM
Me too tied for 1st but in last place of the Ties Hilarious!

*shrug* Im near the bottom and I built it so you know there is no favorites here.

Rock Chalk
09-11-2009, 12:22 PM
Great news!

You can now make picks up to 30 minutes BEFORE EACH GAME.

Last nights game is disabled from being changed however if injuries occur in practice the and someone is out this weekend you will be able to make a change if you feel its necessary.

Hotrod
09-11-2009, 12:24 PM
I keep trying to make my week 2 picks but I dont think the system is taking them.

I'll be in hunting camp and cant make them later.

Am I ****ed or not?

Rock Chalk
09-11-2009, 12:29 PM
I keep trying to make my week 2 picks but I dont think the system is taking them.

I'll be in hunting camp and cant make them later.

Am I ****ed or not?

Are you getting an error message like "MNF Scores must be numeric"?

TailgateNut
09-11-2009, 12:56 PM
Are you getting an error message like "MNF Scores must be numeric"?

No he's getting an error message which reads "McDortoh is a douche".;D

Hotrod
09-11-2009, 12:58 PM
Looks like its working fine now.

I didnt get any error it would just refresh the screen after hitting "make picks" or whatever that button is and I'd have to repick everything. Like it was not saving or something.

Hotrod
09-11-2009, 12:58 PM
No he's getting an error message which reads "McDortoh is a douche".;D

Dont you have some wine and cheese to pack for the game on Sunday.

TailgateNut
09-11-2009, 01:01 PM
Dont you have some wine and cheese to pack for the game on Sunday.

A case of mistaken identity. You've obviously confused me for AK.

My preferred menu consist of the opposing team fan wrapped in bacon medium rare with a side of humble pie.;D

Hotrod
09-11-2009, 01:16 PM
A case of mistaken identity. You've obviously confused me for AK.

My preferred menu consist of the opposing team fan wrapped in bacon medium rare with a side of humble pie.;D

:~ohyah!:

Rock Chalk
09-11-2009, 02:08 PM
Looks like its working fine now.

I didnt get any error it would just refresh the screen after hitting "make picks" or whatever that button is and I'd have to repick everything. Like it was not saving or something.

You were probably trying to make picks while I was making changes.

My bad.

All is well you made your picks (and they suck, oh yeah, I can see your picks, and everyone else's too).

Hogan11
09-11-2009, 02:54 PM
Nevermind. My Bad

frerottenextelway
09-12-2009, 06:46 PM
IMPORTANT UPDATE:

I'm in first!

Rock Chalk
09-12-2009, 07:29 PM
IMPORTANT UPDATE:

I'm in first!

Yeah, you and a about 90% of the players.

frerottenextelway
09-12-2009, 07:32 PM
Yeah, you and a about 90% of the players.

I'll take it. :giggle: