PDA

View Full Version : Broncos start cuts today. Carlton Powell first to go

KevinJames
09-04-2009, 01:10 PM
The Broncos are meeting today and deciding on the first wave of cuts to get down to 53 players before tomorrow's deadline.

Defensive tackle Carlton Powell, a fifth-round pick last year who missed his rookie season with an Achilles tendon injury, was released, his agent Scott Smith confirmed. http://gazettebroncos.freedomblogging.com/2009/09/04/broncos-start-cuts-today/1255/

-------------

CUT FROM THE TEAM
Carlton Powell
Josh Bell
Kory Lichtensteiger
Lee Robinson
Running Back Marcus Thomas
Clint Oldenburg
Matthias Askew
Ingle Martin
Nate Swift
Rashod Moulton
Everette Pedescleaux
Nic Clemons
Darius Walker
Tim Crowder
Tony Carter
Matthew Willis

Working on injury settlement:
Matt McChesney

prunch
09-04-2009, 01:10 PM
Broncos starting cuts
by Lindsay Jones on September 4, 2009

The Broncos have started to trim their roster down to the 53-man limit.

On Friday, the team released center Kory Lichtensteiger, a fourth-round draft pick in 2008, undrafted rookie linebacker Lee Robinson and running back Marcus Thomas; offensive lineman Clint Oldenburg; defensive end Matthias Askew. The team is also working on an injury settlement to release offensive lineman Matt McChesney, who didn’t play in Thursday’s game because of a sprained ankle.

Check back throughout the afternoon at www.denverpost.com/broncos for more updates.

KevinJames
09-04-2009, 01:11 PM
^whoa kinda suprised by Lichtensteiger to be honest I know he messed that snap up last night that was pretty bad hmmm maybe we can get him on the practice squad?

underrated29
09-04-2009, 01:11 PM
knew powell not happy bout that but maybe he can PS.

Surprised about Licht.

Essentailly there goes our complete '06 draft?

moss,crowder,powell,licht--might as well not even participated.

Tombstone RJ
09-04-2009, 01:12 PM
Too bad about Powell. I was hoping he'd pan out. He'll probably get picked up by another team...

tsiguy96
09-04-2009, 01:13 PM
powell posted it on twitter too, hes a good guy hope he makes it somewhere.

KevinJames
09-04-2009, 01:14 PM
hopefully we can get Lee Robinson on the P-squad too

Popps
09-04-2009, 01:17 PM
Askew actually had a decent game last night.

Bummer about Robinson. He looked talented.

DomCasual
09-04-2009, 01:21 PM
Bummer on Powell. He and I are pretty good friends. I sent him a friend request on Facebook a few months ago, and we've pretty much just hit it off since.

I mean, he doesn't actually respond all the time to the stuff I send him. But the guy has been really busy. I understand that.

I call him C-POW. He thinks it's a great nickname. I mean, he hasn't actually told me that. But it's the sense I get.

SoDak Bronco
09-04-2009, 01:22 PM
look for lichtennuts to jump to Denver South

SoDak Bronco
09-04-2009, 01:23 PM
Bummer on Powell. He and I are pretty good friends. I sent him a friend request on Facebook a few months ago, and we've pretty much just hit it off since.

I mean, he doesn't actually respond all the time to the stuff I send him. But the guy has been really busy. I understand that.

I call him C-POW. He thinks it's a great nickname. I mean, he hasn't actually told me that. But it's the sense I get.

you are pretty good friends because he accepted you on facebook ? ROFL!

GreatBronco16
09-04-2009, 01:23 PM
bummer on powell. He and i are pretty good friends. I sent him a friend request on facebook a few months ago, and we've pretty much just hit it off since.

I mean, he doesn't actually respond all the time to the stuff i send him. But the guy has been really busy. I understand that.

I call him c-pow. He thinks it's a great nickname. I mean, he hasn't actually told me that. But it's the sense i get.

lol

Popcorn Sutton
09-04-2009, 01:24 PM
Powell on Twitter:

http://i323.photobucket.com/albums/nn472/rgault00/CPowell.png

Lev Vyvanse
09-04-2009, 01:24 PM

Surprised about Licht.

Wrong year with mixed up players good try though.
2007 was Moss, Crowder, HARRIS, THOMAS

TheDave
09-04-2009, 01:25 PM

Surprised about Licht.

2006 was Cutler/Marshall

2007 was Moss & Crowder

oubronco
09-04-2009, 01:29 PM
Too bad about Powell. I was hoping he'd pan out. He'll probably get picked up by another team...

And will probably become a constant ProBowler the way our luck goes

TheDave
09-04-2009, 01:30 PM
Some where Kahn is pissed about the Lichtensteiger cut... ;D

Gcver2ver3
09-04-2009, 01:30 PM

classic...

broncofan2438
09-04-2009, 01:34 PM
Dang, Powel and Lict are surprising

underrated29
09-04-2009, 01:35 PM
Wrong year with mixed up players good try though.
2007 was Moss, Crowder, HARRIS, THOMAS

aha. Thats right.

thanks.

broncocalijohn
09-04-2009, 01:43 PM

Oh great! Now we have the clone of Cutlerfan on the Mane. Will you jump ship once he gets picked up from another team? Can we get those hard hitting interviews when you go back to his home town. :twokisses

DomCasual
09-04-2009, 01:46 PM
you are pretty good friends because he accepted you on facebook ? ROFL!

Yeah. I only say that now that he's no longer with the team. I didn't mention it before because I didn't want it to sound like I was boasting, and stuff.

bronco militia
09-04-2009, 01:50 PM
nice going bustshanahan!

worm
09-04-2009, 01:55 PM
Carlton...the latest Orange Mane legend to go down.

I am absolutely stunned to find out that the Mane record of predicting player success just isn't that good.

bronco militia
09-04-2009, 01:58 PM
carlton...the latest orange mane legend to go down.

I am absolutely stunned to find out that the mane record of predicting player success just isn't that good.

lol!

broncocalijohn
09-04-2009, 01:58 PM

I am absolutely stunned to find out that the Mane record of predicting player success just isn't that good.

Dixon got a SB ring with the Giants returning kicks to the endzone and Foneco was ALL WORLD last season. OM is still waiting for Jack aka MF to live the dream.

Rock Chalk
09-04-2009, 01:59 PM
Dixon = Hixon

BMarsh615
09-04-2009, 02:01 PM

Tim Crowder is next!

Garcia Bronco
09-04-2009, 02:01 PM
Powell got no chance in the games. Obviously I am upset that a fellow Hokie was let go.

TheDave
09-04-2009, 02:02 PM

Were almost 100% wrong... :thumbs:

Garcia Bronco
09-04-2009, 02:02 PM

Powell is good. He was a stand out ni college.

TheDave
09-04-2009, 02:03 PM

and judging by his twitter page, that's one fine college. ;D

Liquid Courage
09-04-2009, 02:04 PM

is he PS eligible?

Garcia Bronco
09-04-2009, 02:06 PM
is he PS eligible?

I think so since he was out all last year.

Garcia Bronco
09-04-2009, 02:07 PM
and judging by his twitter page, that one fine college. ;D

Best english department in the city

lostknight
09-04-2009, 02:21 PM
Suprised about Lichtensteiger. Who are they going to have backing Casey up?

UberBroncoMan
09-04-2009, 02:22 PM
I've got to say I'm surprised that Lee Robinson was cut before Baxter Kelley seeing how Kelley was cut earlier in camp then brought back after Nike Greisen (sp?) went on the IR.

Baxter was solid at Kentucky though, so it would be nice to see him make the PS seeing as how we have 4 solid ILB's in Woodyard, Larsen, Williams, and Davis.

eddie mac
09-04-2009, 02:27 PM

Looks like McD maybe prefers the super young Hochstein that he ditched another pick for.

WABronco
09-04-2009, 02:31 PM
Hmm maybe Lichtensteiger just isn't good enough? HMMMM

Rohirrim
09-04-2009, 03:00 PM

It's a shocker.

Anyway, the Mighty McChesney is getting ready for a comeback!

DomCasual
09-04-2009, 03:10 PM
It's a shocker.

Anyway, the Mighty McChesney is getting ready for a comeback!

I grew up next to a kid whose last name was McChesney.

broncosteven
09-04-2009, 03:12 PM

Lonnie (bob?) Paxton

The dude needs to earn that 1.2 mil other than by performing sex acts.

Great13
09-04-2009, 03:18 PM
http://gazettebroncos.freedomblogging.com/2009/09/04/broncos-start-cuts-today/1255/

-------------

CUT FROM THE TEAM
Carlton Powell
Kory Lichtensteiger
Lee Robinson
Running Back Marcus Thomas
Clint Oldenburg
Matthias Askew
Ingle Martin

Working on injury settlement:
Matt McChesney

Add Nate Swift and Rashod Moulton to that list...

JCMElway
09-04-2009, 03:20 PM
Hmm maybe Lichtensteiger just isn't good enough? HMMMM

It doesn't surprise me because of the type of trench guys we are looking for. We are still doing the ZBS, but the new regime likes big beefy guys. Lichtensteiger was the lean fast OL preferred by Shanny.

No worries for Licht, Shanny will be coaching soon somewhere.

gtown
09-04-2009, 03:20 PM
Can't say I'm surprised about any of the cuts. I believe that some of the acquisitions made this summer made Liechtensteiger redundant. Looks like McD wants bigger lineman through and through.

Doggcow
09-04-2009, 03:27 PM
These are all McDaniels' fault even though he didn't draft them right? :D

Atwater His Ass
09-04-2009, 03:52 PM

that's what you get for putting any stock in the homer camp reports!

TallyBronco
09-04-2009, 04:22 PM
Yeah. I only say that now that he's no longer with the team. I didn't mention it before because I didn't want it to sound like I was boasting, and stuff.

yeah, good move, we would have been sooooo jealous! :rofl:

thumpc
09-04-2009, 04:31 PM
Dixon got a SB ring with the Giants returning kicks to the endzone and Foneco was ALL WORLD last season. OM is still waiting for Jack aka MF to live the dream.

MF did some work last night.

baja
09-04-2009, 04:35 PM

Does he know you are sort of a big deal???

MABroncoFan
09-04-2009, 04:39 PM
Lonnie (bob?) Paxton

The dude needs to earn that 1.2 mil other than by performing sex acts.

Hamilton can move over to center, and also Hochstein can play center.

I figured Powell wouldn't make it. He was 3rd team NT, and didn't get a lot of playing time in the preseason. They can probably put him on the practice squad if they like him enough.

I was a little surprised by Lichtensteiger due to the Kuper and Hamilton injuries. Could be a sign they don't expect one or either of them out for long. I figure they keep 8 O-lineman now, which helps the chances of guys like Moss and Crowder. I wouldn't be shocked if they both make the team now.

I also read J. Bell has a torn meniscus, so I think he'll get cut or put on IR now.

L. Smith I believe also has that same injury. Rotoworld said it'd keep him out 2 regular season games. I would say Clemons sticks as a 5th DE.

Broncoman13
09-04-2009, 04:40 PM
that's what you get for putting any stock in the homer camp reports!

Who said Powell was good in camp?

Sodak
09-04-2009, 04:49 PM

I know what you mean. Neve Campbell and I are pretty good friends. She wouldn't let me be her friend on facebook though. I know she's really busy, acting and stuff.

I think we're going to be great friends. I haven't told her yet though, but she'll know when I show up at her house. :sunshine:

DomCasual
09-04-2009, 05:19 PM
I know what you mean. Neve Campbell and I are pretty good friends. She wouldn't let me be her friend on facebook though. I know she's really busy, acting and stuff.

I think we're going to be great friends. I haven't told her yet though, but she'll know when I show up at her house. :sunshine:

There's a window on the southeast side of the house that looks into the room where she spends the most time. If you pull aside the hose reel, you'll find a couple cinder blocks that can be stacked on top each other to actually reach the window. The neighbor's dogs favorite treats are beef liver steaks marinaded in Ambien.

Cool. I had no idea you knew her, too.

FireFly
09-04-2009, 05:27 PM
They say no surprises, but I'm surprised by both:

Carlton Powell
Kory Lichtensteiger

I thought they were both decent prospects particularly Kory

Traveler
09-04-2009, 05:51 PM
Broncos | Holliday coming for work out
Fri, 04 Sep 2009 17:46:10 -0700

Armando Salguero, of The Miami Herald, reports free-agent DE Vonnie Holliday (Dolphins) is on his way to Denver to work out with the Denver Broncos.

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

MABroncoFan
09-04-2009, 05:55 PM
My guess is Holliday could be brought in at Clemons' expense, with Smith out. Did Thomas play at all last night?

There is also a note on kffl that Josh Bell was waived/injured.

Bronx33
09-04-2009, 05:56 PM
NO NO NO!!!!!!!!! not powell!!! first yahoo.com was calling us out now this!!!

footstepsfrom#27
09-04-2009, 06:03 PM
There must be a lot more cuts coming because I see a lot of guys left on this roster who barely played in the preseason. What's the roster size now?

SonOfLe-loLang
09-04-2009, 06:06 PM
And will probably become a constant ProBowler the way our luck goes

How many times has this ever happened? Patrick Jeffers might be the only guy we've cut that has gone on to do well (and not THAT well)...im sure im forgetting some, but only he comes to mind.

gyldenlove
09-04-2009, 06:32 PM

Surprised about Licht.

It is going to be a surprise to Marcus Thomas and Ryan Harris that they weren't draft in 06...

MABroncoFan
09-04-2009, 06:38 PM
There must be a lot more cuts coming because I see a lot of guys left on this roster who barely played in the preseason. What's the roster size now?

I think they're down to 65, with Marshall on the suspended list as well.

orinjkrush
09-04-2009, 06:44 PM
Broncos | Holliday coming for work out
Fri, 04 Sep 2009 17:46:10 -0700

Armando Salguero, of The Miami Herald, reports free-agent DE Vonnie Holliday (Dolphins) is on his way to Denver to work out with the Denver Broncos.

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

whoa. i hope he takes Josh's job.

sazwaz
09-04-2009, 06:44 PM
How many times has this ever happened? Patrick Jeffers might be the only guy we've cut that has gone on to do well (and not THAT well)...im sure im forgetting some, but only he comes to mind.

jason baker is a pretty good punter.

CHANGSTER
09-04-2009, 07:04 PM
Could it be Powell didn't come back well from injury? Seems likely.

SonOfLe-loLang
09-04-2009, 07:27 PM
jason baker is a pretty good punter.

actually, i think it was mat mcbriar...ok, thats 2

KevinJames
09-04-2009, 07:49 PM
list updated

Borks147
09-04-2009, 07:57 PM
Could it be Powell didn't come back well from injury? Seems likely.

It might be. If that is the case he is a good candidate for PS. Get that Achilles working well again, see ya next year.

oubronco
09-04-2009, 08:02 PM

just sayin our luck hasn't been real great of late

KevinJames
09-04-2009, 08:12 PM
I think they're down to 65, with Marshall on the suspended list as well.

nah hes off the list apparently that is what the Powell move was for.

according to Frank Schwab

baja
09-04-2009, 08:35 PM

Hixon

baja
09-04-2009, 08:36 PM
Oh ya and the guy that shaved his balls

baja
09-04-2009, 08:36 PM
casper

Tombstone RJ
09-04-2009, 08:46 PM
ROFL!I know what you mean. Neve Campbell and I are pretty good friends. She wouldn't let me be her friend on facebook though. I know she's really busy, acting and stuff.

I think we're going to be great friends. I haven't told her yet though, but she'll know when I show up at her house. :sunshine:ROFL!

Now that's good stuff...

SonOfLe-loLang
09-04-2009, 09:31 PM
Hixon

lets not go overboard with him and say he's anything special.

~Crash~
09-04-2009, 11:04 PM

the o-lineman they traded for he is from NE.

~Crash~
09-04-2009, 11:20 PM
Hixon

Mike Bell

Billy Miller

Brian Clark

that Cb we drafted oniel and the one that is playing for the vikes...

there are a few more hell the one OL we sent to dallas was fat ass he would fit in nicely now .

~Crash~
09-04-2009, 11:23 PM

oh yeah the one that went AOWL in training camp that now plays for the steeler as a DE . we played were is waldow

ZONA
09-05-2009, 12:51 AM
I think Crowder is going to stay over Moss but it will be close. Looking at Moss up close, damn that dude is still skinny. I just don't think he will ever gain enough size to be an effective defensive player.

dsmoot
09-05-2009, 01:23 AM
They say no surprises, but I'm surprised by both:

Carlton Powell
Kory Lichtensteiger

I thought they were both decent prospects particularly Kory

Quite interesting what a number of fresh eyes at close range can see of our football team. It started with a number of goodbyes in the off season and will continue over the next week or so when the practice squad is finalized. I personally don't think many will catch on elsewhere.

errand
09-05-2009, 04:54 AM
Hixon

Domenik Hixon hasn't done anything with the Giants...nothing to make anyone regret getting rid of him.

Now we have seen some guys we've traded or leave via free agency do pretty good elsewhere...Sharpe won a title with Ravens, Portis is a perrenial pro bowler in Washington, Bertrand Berry and Reggie Hayward had a couple of good seasons with Cards and Jags...Elam did pretty good with Falcons....Droughns ran for 1200 plus yards for Browns. Steve Deberg went onto have some success with Buccaneers and Chiefs (I know he's going waaaaay back in time, huh?)

kent156
09-05-2009, 05:28 AM
I guess your place on the depth chart does mean something after all.

Pat Bowlen
09-05-2009, 06:22 AM
It's never easy telling a man that he doesn't have a job anymore, and I don't enjoy one bit of it. This is football, guys.

Natedogg
09-05-2009, 06:49 AM
It's never easy telling a man that he doesn't have a job anymore, and I don't enjoy one bit of it. This is football, guys.

But it must get easier when you no longer have to remember doing it. :)

Pat Bowlen
09-05-2009, 06:53 AM
What are you talking about?

backup qb
09-05-2009, 06:53 AM
But it must get easier when you no longer have to remember doing it. :)

:thumbsup:

Karenin
09-05-2009, 08:01 AM
Powell is good.

Apparently not.

KevinJames
09-05-2009, 11:54 AM
list updated