PDA

View Full Version : alphonso smith last night

tsiguy96
09-04-2009, 09:41 AM
had an AWESOME breakup on a pass over the middle on the cardinals first drive, and a TD saving tackle on fitzgerald in the same drive..

im rewatching it, the ustream feed last night sucked big time

edit: on the next play he was beat on a crossing route but warner overthrew it.

bronco militia
09-04-2009, 09:43 AM
he's not bad, but no way is he worth the #1 we gave up to draft him

tsiguy96
09-04-2009, 09:45 AM
hey i agree if i was making the decisions i clearly wouldnt have done that. but we did, so lets make the best of it and see if hes gonna be a top player or not...

Tombstone RJ
09-04-2009, 09:48 AM
Smith had a nice game. Really, the entire defense had a great game.

Rohirrim
09-04-2009, 09:50 AM

If he's a starter for 12 or 13 years it was worth it. Too early to tell, but the indications are pretty good so far.

Bronco Boy
09-04-2009, 09:50 AM

Come on, he's definitely worth the 32nd pick in next year's draft.

chex
09-04-2009, 09:51 AM
I'm a little crazy, so I'll wait til the season progresses when he proves either way what his value is before I make a judgement call on the trade.

tsiguy96
09-04-2009, 09:53 AM
#70 (olsen i think) just tried an awful block on the screen on our third drive. he tried to dive at the guys feet like a yard in front of him and missed by a ton.

tsiguy96
09-04-2009, 09:58 AM
third drive: 93 yards, 8 plays, just under 4:00

Chris
09-04-2009, 10:24 AM
Tsiguy how are you rewatching the game?

tsiguy96
09-04-2009, 10:33 AM
Dvr!

tsiguy96
09-04-2009, 10:35 AM
first drive after reids pick: they put darius walker in the slot, lloyd gets nasty PI on 3rd and 2 i think. brandstater made right read, if someones in man coverage he figures it out pretty quickly.

dbfan21
09-04-2009, 10:41 AM
Come on, he's definitely worth the 32nd pick in next year's draft.

I like the way you think!!

tsiguy96
09-04-2009, 10:52 AM
leinart SUCKS. for sure. great pick by bruton but it was right in his hands.

tsiguy96
09-04-2009, 10:54 AM
brandstater for sure has to make some better decisions, and his mid range throws like 7-12 yards out are not very good. some are, but some arent even close.

SonOfLe-loLang
09-04-2009, 11:17 AM
brandstater for sure has to make some better decisions, and his mid range throws like 7-12 yards out are not very good. some are, but some arent even close.

First start for a guy who virtually had no reps up until two weeks ago. Tough crowd. And some of his throws from that range were right on the money. He cant hit ALL of them

broncofan2438
09-04-2009, 11:22 AM
Where can we watch the game again? Didnt that guy who streamed it have a website that you can rewatch the games?

tsiguy96
09-04-2009, 11:43 AM
First start for a guy who virtually had no reps up until two weeks ago. Tough crowd. And some of his throws from that range were right on the money. He cant hit ALL of them

im #1 on the brandstater wagon homey, i hope he starts week 1 and shows what hes truly made of. some of his throws were absolutely perfect last night, the one in the end zone to mckinnley? magic touch if nothing else. but some of his mid range throws were questionable, including a goal line throw to lloyd that absically hit the ground in front of him.

he is far better than orton or simms i believe, especially if we put him in a low pressure offense and run a lot to take some of the weight off him.

tsiguy96
09-04-2009, 11:57 AM
nic clemons avoids another horsecollar penalty, the 4 man rush is awesome thus far, maybe AZs line sucks. this is the re air so they cut a lot of stuff out, like the guy getting ejected last night.

tsiguy96
09-04-2009, 11:59 AM
brandstater throwing deep too often ala cutler, when the guy isnt open. AZ is leaving their corners on islands with our receivers, if brandstater could have looked off some of the corners with pump fakes or the recievers adjusted the route a bit, lots of easy TDs. having marshall back will be huge for this team.

tsiguy96
09-04-2009, 12:01 PM
brandstater locks on to a target too. i realize as bronco fans we are used to it, but damn he is not afraid of being tackled in the pocket at all. our 2nd string oline is not that good and he is throwing to rookie WRs. its hard to tell if he is going through his progressions or not.

tsiguy96
09-04-2009, 12:03 PM
LOL!
http://images.townnews.com/aurorasentinel.com/content/articles/2009/08/11/sports/local_sports/doc4a820bb198def409362513.jpg

chris simms gave him $1000 to wear his hair like this for 4 days.

Chris
09-04-2009, 12:03 PM
I think his performance is a testament to coaching more than anything else. He didn't put up better stats than Orton in the Seattle game (when he wasn't starting with 1st and 20s and didn't get injured).

tsiguy96
09-04-2009, 12:10 PM
I think his performance is a testament to coaching more than anything else. He didn't put up better stats than Orton in the Seattle game (when he wasn't starting with 1st and 20s and didn't get injured).

he has good accuracy on most throws, his long ball is far, far better than anyone else on the roster. his touch pass needs some work but he made a lot of good short-intermediate throws. he is going deep a lot this game. if he had the #1s out there all game, id love to see what he can do.

about 4:00 left in 3rd, he JUST underthrew a TD to mckinley.

SonOfLe-loLang
09-04-2009, 12:11 PM
brandstater locks on to a target too. i realize as bronco fans we are used to it, but damn he is not afraid of being tackled in the pocket at all. our 2nd string oline is not that good and he is throwing to rookie WRs. its hard to tell if he is going through his progressions or not.

Agreed, but a lot of the broncos throws are quick, you're only really looked at two targets. There were def some throws where he went through full progression (the incompletion for Nate Swift that would have been a one yard gain comes to mind)

Chris
09-04-2009, 12:12 PM
he has good accuracy on most throws, his long ball is far, far better than anyone else on the roster. his touch pass needs some work but he made a lot of good short-intermediate throws. he is going deep a lot this game. if he had the #1s out there all game, id love to see what he can do.

about 4:00 left in 3rd, he JUST underthrew a TD to mckinley.

Look, he's on our roster... but asking for a 6th round pick rookie QB to start against the teams in our schedule this year is pushing it. We don't need that kind of QB right now with this style of offense. It's great to know we might have one for the future.

tsiguy96
09-04-2009, 12:13 PM
lots and lots of pressure from every single dline (1st string, 2nd string, 3rd string) on the team. who would of thought wed ever see that?

this defense alone makes me happy that shanahan is gone. palko got destroyed be pedexscrasasfaoiwhaib but he tossed the ball up and it went near a RB. shoulda been another sack. the pressure is awesome.

Popps
09-04-2009, 12:32 PM

We didn't "give up a #1."

Again, we drafted at 37 instead of an unknown location that could be AT MOST, 37 slots away. More likely, in the range of 15-20, and could be less.

WE TRADED ****ing slots.

Do people just repeat **** until they think it's true?

jhns
09-04-2009, 12:37 PM
We didn't "give up a #1."

Again, we drafted at 37 instead of an unknown location that could be AT MOST, 37 slots away. More likely, in the range of 15-20, and could be less.

WE TRADED ****ing slots.

Do people just repeat **** until they think it's true?

15, 20, Or 37 first and second round slots are a lot of value we got screwed out of with this decision. Seriously, look on the value charts the nfl uses. The difference between 15 and 37 is pretty significant. If it ends up being a top 10 pick, the value between them becomes that of the entire average redskins draft.

This team got ripped off bigtime.

Popps
09-04-2009, 12:46 PM
15, 20, Or 37 first and second round slots are a lot of value we got screwed out of with this decision. .

Really? We got screwed out of the next Ashlie Lelie? Maybe the next Jarvis Moss? George Foster?

Yea, tell me about how we got screwed out of value when half of the first round picks out there never live up to their billing. What crystal ball are you looking at?

Again, if Smith pans out to be a legitimate starter, this deal is a non-issue.

If he fails to do so... we lost some draft slots in what is an absolute crap-shoot.

jhns
09-04-2009, 12:50 PM
Really? We got screwed out of the next Ashlie Lelie? Maybe the next Jarvis Moss? George Foster?

Yea, tell me about how we got screwed out of value when half of the first round picks out there never live up to their billing. What crystal ball are you looking at?

Again, if Smith pans out to be a legitimate starter, this deal is a non-issue.

If he fails to do so... we lost some draft slots in what is an absolute crap-shoot.

This changes the fact that we got ripped off? Why have a value chart then? Why even care about picks? Why not trade them all for established guys since they are worthless?

We got ripped off. We should have smith plus some other pick(s). Maybe not, maybe we should just have our pick considering we are rebuilding. What rebuilding team do you know that blows up the entire roster and gives away their future first? That sounds dumb just saying it. I bet you can't find a single examplw of this happening and turning out well.

TheDave
09-04-2009, 12:51 PM
15, 20, Or 37 first and second round slots are a lot of value we got screwed out of with this decision. Seriously, look on the value charts the nfl uses. The difference between 15 and 37 is pretty significant. If it ends up being a top 10 pick, the value between them becomes that of the entire average redskins draft.

Just to quantify this for some people...

Lets asume 3 possible draft positions for next year

#5 (the proverbial top 5 pick)
#13 (Like we did for the last 2 seasons)
#20 (holly **** we went to the playoffs)

#5(1700) - #37(530) = 1170 which equals the 13th pick or Ryan Clady

#13(1150) - #37(530) = 620 which equals the 30th pick

#20 (850) - #37(530) = 320 which equals the 58th pick

So as long as we make the playoffs it will be a good value... :thumbs:

Mr.Meanie
09-04-2009, 12:56 PM
Going off strictly value, typically a next year's pick is worth 1 round higher than current year's pick. So the value was close enough at the time.

jhns
09-04-2009, 12:57 PM
Just to quantify this for some people...

Lets asume 3 possible draft positions for next year

#5 (the proverbial top 5 pick)
#13 (Like we did for the last 2 seasons)
#20 (holly **** we went to the playoffs)

#5(1700) - #37(530) = 1170 which equals the 13th pick or Ryan Clady

#13(1150) - #37(530) = 620 which equals the 30th pick

#20 (850) - #37(530) = 320 which equals the 58th pick

So as long as we make the playoffs it will be a good value... :thumbs:

Good research that I was to lazy to actually do.

I agree that if we make the playoffs, no one will have anything to complain about when it comes to this trade. As of now, it seems to me like a risk that we didn't need to take.

jhns
09-04-2009, 12:59 PM
Going off strictly value, typically a next year's pick is worth 1 round higher than current year's pick. So the value was close enough at the time.

You really believe this just because mcd said it? I would love all of this stuff to be said next year when Seattle is using our pick. I bet a lot of people think different about it at that time.

TheDave
09-04-2009, 01:00 PM
Good research that I was to lazy to actually do.

I agree that if we make the playoffs, no one will have anything to complain about when it comes to this trade. As of now, it seems to me like a risk that we didn't need to take.

Barring a miracle... Were not make the playoffs.

Mr.Meanie
09-04-2009, 01:03 PM
You really believe this just because mcd said it? I would love all of this stuff to be said next year when Seattle is using our pick. I bet a lot of people think different about it at that time.

Its a common valuation in the draft. Is this your first year watching football?

TheDave
09-04-2009, 01:08 PM
Its a common valuation in the draft. Is this your first year watching football?

It's also common knowledge that you do not discount 1st round picks like you are saying... Later rounds yes, but not 1st's

kappys
09-04-2009, 01:09 PM

Except that no team in their right mind even wants a top ten pick and the ones that have them would love to get out from under the huge contracts that they have to pay these unproven rookies who still have very high bust rates.
That chart is complete garbage.

tsiguy96
09-04-2009, 01:10 PM
yet another thread ruined by the anti-mcdaniels crowd. awesome.

jhns
09-04-2009, 01:11 PM
It's also common knowledge that you do not discount 1st round picks like you are saying... Later rounds yes, but not 1st's

This is especially true when you are fresh off blowing up the entire roster. Did he really ask if this is my first time watching football and he comes with this crap?

Chris
09-04-2009, 01:12 PM
Barring a miracle... Were not make the playoffs.

Actually the Chuggers doing poorly and us doing well won't be so much a miracle as it would be both teams fulfilling their potential ;)

jhns
09-04-2009, 01:13 PM
Except that no team in their right mind even wants a top ten pick and the ones that have them would love to get out from under the huge contracts that they have to pay these unproven rookies who still have very high bust rates.
That chart is complete garbage.

That is garbage and the teams that do want out do not settle for a single second round pick. That is dumb.

TheDave
09-04-2009, 01:15 PM
yet another thread ruined by the anti-mcdaniels crowd. awesome.

Hey, jump on your boy Popps... he's the one

chex
09-04-2009, 01:15 PM
Can anyone produce an example of a team trading into the first round of that year's draft without giving up next years 1st as compensation? Bobby Beathard made a career out of such moves.

TheDave
09-04-2009, 01:21 PM
Can anyone produce an example of a team trading into the first round of that year's draft without giving up next years 1st as compensation? Bobby Beathard made a career out of such moves.

2nd round... not 1st.

and yes Bethard had a couple of hits during his time with the Skins... He also destroyed the chargers by attempting the same thing.

Popps
09-04-2009, 01:23 PM
This changes the fact that we got ripped off? Why have a value chart then? Why even care about picks? Why not trade them all for established guys since they are worthless?.

Again, you're factoring in nothing for drafting the guy we wanted... drafting him a year earlier and paying him less.

You think we were going to pay 2 more #1's next year with salaries being what they were this year?

Did we get the best value in this trade? Perhaps not.

Is this half the deal the panic-junkies are making it out to be? Of course not.

We got a guy we liked NOW, and paid him less... by giving up some draft slots.

You people act like the franchise hinges on those 10-15 slots.

If Smith pans out, this is a non-issue... and it sure appears that he is, which must be ruining a lot of people's day judging by the responses.

chex
09-04-2009, 01:23 PM
2nd round... not 1st.

and yes Bethard had a couple of hits during his time with the Skins... He also destroyed the chargers by attempting the same thing.

Right, 2nd.

Seemed like Beathard never met a high draft pick he didn't want to trade.

Popps
09-04-2009, 01:25 PM
Hey, jump on your boy Popps... he's the one

Really? Did I trash Smith's nice game with another panic thread about losing a few draft spots?

Must have missed that one, sport.

TheDave
09-04-2009, 01:27 PM
Really? Did I trash Smith's nice game with another panic thread about losing a few draft spots?

Must have missed that one, sport.

No, as usual you just over reacted to a benign comment and jumped on your soap box.

TheDave
09-04-2009, 01:28 PM
Right, 2nd.

Seemed like Beathard never met a high draft pick he didn't want to trade.

He had his moments... that one draft with the skins was one for the ages.

Then he finished off his career with Ryan Leaf.

Poor guy.

jhns
09-04-2009, 01:31 PM
Again, you're factoring in nothing for drafting the guy we wanted... drafting him a year earlier and paying him less.

You think we were going to pay 2 more #1's next year with salaries being what they were this year?

Did we get the best value in this trade? Perhaps not.

Is this half the deal the panic-junkies are making it out to be? Of course not.

We got a guy we liked NOW, and paid him less... by giving up some draft slots.

You people act like the franchise hinges on those 10-15 slots.

If Smith pans out, this is a non-issue... and it sure appears that he is, which must be ruining a lot of people's day judging by the responses.

I have already said if it is only 10 spots it doesn't matter. To bad you are just trying to downplay it and we have almost no shot of it being that few.

Also, you are saying first round picks aren't a big deal? What? I don't think anyone in the NFL agrees with you. Isn't it why shanahan got fired? He drafted poor early? By what you are saying, that shouldn't matter because firsts aren't good for anything.

DHallblows
09-04-2009, 01:46 PM
No, as usual you just over reacted to a benign comment and jumped on your soap box.

Yeah this thread jacking is all Popps :yep:

Popps
09-04-2009, 02:05 PM
I have already said if it is only 10 spots it doesn't matter. To bad you are just trying to downplay it and we have almost no shot of it being that few..

So, we couldn't finish 7-9 and Chicago 9-7?

Us 6-10 and Chicago 8-8?

I'd say there's much more than "almost no" chance of that happening.

I
Also, you are saying first round picks aren't a big deal? What? I don't think anyone in the NFL agrees with you. Isn't it why shanahan got fired? He drafted poor early? By what you are saying, that shouldn't matter because firsts aren't good for anything.

Again, you're trying to take one example and turn it into sweeping, vast generalities.

I'm not saying 1st round picks don't "mean anything."

What I'm saying is... the difference between (say) a #17 pick next year, and a #37 pick THiS year isn't going to make or break a franchise.

Like I said, we get a guy we love at a position of need (CB/kick returner/ballhawk) and we pay him much less in the process. He also gets a year of experience under his belt and we get his services immediately.

So, in this scenario, we've paid 20 draft slots as compensation for having a guy we like NOW, instead of maybe having a guy we like next year.

Should we do this with EVERY pick? No.

Is this ALWAYS a good idea? No.

If it doesn't pan out, sure... a case can be made that the selection of Smith is even a bit more painful because we gave up some compensation for him.

Conversely, if he pans out... it's a solid move and we simply gave up some compensation for some help we coveted... sooner.

That's it. No more, no less. Don't try to turn it into "YOU HATE ALL FIRST ROUND PICKS," or any other nonsense. It's a very simple set of parameters with a couple of different possible outcomes, neither of which is likely to make or break the franchise.

This isn't the Saints trading a whole draft for one player. This is giving some compensation to get some help this year instead of next, and it MAY pan out to be very little compensation.

Popps
09-04-2009, 02:06 PM
Yeah this thread jacking is all Popps :yep:

I assume you're joking. Thread-jack took place in the 2nd post.

I like Smith. I like the pick, and I think he's playing well.

Beyond that, the conversation remains on topic.

epicSocialism4tw
09-04-2009, 02:07 PM
had an AWESOME breakup on a pass over the middle on the cardinals first drive, and a TD saving tackle on fitzgerald in the same drive..

im rewatching it, the ustream feed last night sucked big time

edit: on the next play he was beat on a crossing route but warner overthrew it.

He has looked like goat turds in just about every posession I have seen of him.

Mr.Meanie
09-04-2009, 02:12 PM
This is especially true when you are fresh off blowing up the entire roster. Did he really ask if this is my first time watching football and he comes with this crap?

The only part of our roster that was "blown up" was the #32 ranked defense. Every single position on the team except QB was upgraded...

NYBronco
09-04-2009, 02:12 PM

He's a rookie playing in his 4th preseason game.

There have been more then plenty #1's that have failed big time but under contract and still get the big pay out.

jhns
09-04-2009, 02:14 PM
So, we couldn't finish 7-9 and Chicago 9-7?

Us 6-10 and Chicago 8-8?

I'd say there's much more than "almost no" chance of that happening.

Again, you're trying to take one example and turn it into sweeping, vast generalities.

I'm not saying 1st round picks don't "mean anything."

What I'm saying is... the difference between (say) a #17 pick next year, and a #37 pick THiS year isn't going to make or break a franchise.

Like I said, we get a guy we love at a position of need (CB/kick returner/ballhawk) and we pay him much less in the process. He also gets a year of experience under his belt and we get his services immediately.

So, in this scenario, we've paid 20 draft slots as compensation for having a guy we like NOW, instead of maybe having a guy we like next year.

Should we do this with EVERY pick? No.

Is this ALWAYS a good idea? No.

If it doesn't pan out, sure... a case can be made that the selection of Smith is even a bit more painful because we gave up some compensation for him.

Conversely, if he pans out... it's a solid move and we simply gave up some compensation for some help we coveted... sooner.

That's it. No more, no less. Don't try to turn it into "YOU HATE ALL FIRST ROUND PICKS," or any other nonsense. It's a very simple set of parameters with a couple of different possible outcomes, neither of which is likely to make or break the franchise.

This isn't the Saints trading a whole draft for one player. This is giving some compensation to get some help this year instead of next, and it MAY pan out to be very little compensation.

I don't know what chicago has to do with it. I am saying there is little chance we pick at 27, which is 10 spots from where we traded to.

Other than that, I will just say I don't agree with the rest of your post. I don't have any other new points to bring to the table.

kappys
09-04-2009, 02:31 PM
That is garbage and the teams that do want out do not settle for a single second round pick. That is dumb.

NO the garbage is that you're playing Madden and looking at a draft as if the first player drafter is better than the 2nd who is better than the 3rd, etc.

What is the draft value of Tom Brady?, Peyton Manning? Both taken in vastly different rounds. What are either worth?

What matters is the player. If you have a guy that you've extensively scouted and think has the potential to be a superstar and that would have been a high first rounder on you're draft board then trading a first to get him is a fine idea. Who gives a **** that other teams didn't think the same thing - you either rely on your scouting or find new personnel to fill that role that you can rely on.

We didn't trade picks for picks we traded a pick for a very specific player. Individual players are worth their performance on the field, they are not properly valued by their draft status.

WABronco
09-04-2009, 02:35 PM
A lot of time wasting going on in this thread.

jhns
09-04-2009, 03:20 PM
NO the garbage is that you're playing Madden and looking at a draft as if the first player drafter is better than the 2nd who is better than the 3rd, etc.

What is the draft value of Tom Brady?, Peyton Manning? Both taken in vastly different rounds. What are either worth?

What matters is the player. If you have a guy that you've extensively scouted and think has the potential to be a superstar and that would have been a high first rounder on you're draft board then trading a first to get him is a fine idea. Who gives a **** that other teams didn't think the same thing - you either rely on your scouting or find new personnel to fill that role that you can rely on.

We didn't trade picks for picks we traded a pick for a very specific player. Individual players are worth their performance on the field, they are not properly valued by their draft status.

You don't give up the future for the now when you are blowing up the roster. Simple as that. They didn't even want Smith in the top 18 this year and they had 2, let me repeat this, TWO chances. He was not better than the prospects on the board. This was also widely regarded as a far worse draft than next year. What makes you think we would take Smith next year over all the prospects in the top 10-15? It makes no sense at all.

Yes, the stars come in all rounds. That doesn't mean you need to make it harder on yourself by giving away early round picks. Again, why wouldn't you just trade every first rounder every year and get a bunch of late picks if that is the case?

Mr.Meanie
09-04-2009, 04:01 PM
They didn't even want Smith in the top 18 this year and they had 2, let me repeat this, TWO chances. He was not better than the prospects on the board.

Matt Forte went mid-2nd round last year, he was passed 43 times! The Bears had a chance to pick him up once and they PASSED on him. He must not have been better than the other prospects on the board, right?

What makes you think we would take Smith next year over all the prospects in the top 10-15? It makes no sense at all.

If we end up tanking like all you guys are predicting, we could end up with between $25M and $40M guaranteed tied up in 1 player. And if by some chance the Bears tank it, imagine having $60M-$70M tied up in 2 players, not to mention the 2 first rounders from '09.

I believe that would hamstring our ability to re-sign the stars of our team, including Clady, Royal, Hillis, etc.

If the top tier rookie payscale wasn't so screwed up things might be different.

jhns
09-04-2009, 04:05 PM
Matt Forte went mid-2nd round last year, he was passed 43 times! The Bears had a chance to pick him up once and they PASSED on him. He must not have been better than the other prospects on the board, right?

If we end up tanking like all you guys are predicting, we could end up with between $25M and $40M guaranteed tied up in 1 player. And if by some chance the Bears tank it, imagine having $60M-$70M tied up in 2 players, not to mention the 2 first rounders from '09.

I believe that would hamstring our ability to re-sign the stars of our team, including Clady, Royal, Hillis, etc.

If the top tier rookie payscale wasn't so screwed up things might be different.

What does Forte going later have to do with anything? I am saying this team didn't think Smith was worth even an 18 pick but they think he is worth a top 10 next year? What? How does that make sense?

As for the other stuff. Whatever, don't pay so many free agents that dont do anything for this team. We sign like $100 mil in FA's every year and hardly any of them are good. We don't have money problems. Even if that is your argument, we still didn't get fair value. If you don't want to pay a top pick, you don't just give it away. We should have Smith + some other stuff if that is the case.

Los Broncos
09-04-2009, 06:04 PM
I missed the first half, where can I re watch it?

Popps
09-04-2009, 06:32 PM
What does Forte going later have to do with anything? I am saying this team didn't think Smith was worth even an 18 pick but they think he is worth a top 10 next year? .

It makes perfect sense.

First off, we have no idea if it's going to be a "top 10" pick. It could be much lower, and I suspect it will be.

Second, again... YES, there is EQUITY in taking a player you want NOW, paying him less... and developing him SOONER at a position of need.

It's simple ****ing math. You give up something later to get something now.

Could the deal end up not working out for us? Sure.

But, so could keeping two first round picks and getting stuck with two giant salaries next year for players that are unknown.

Your scenarios continue to omit huge chunks of evidence, and when people explain this to you, you simply say "what does that have to do with it."

We've explained it to you now, several times. This scenario has many possible outcomes, NONE of which result in disaster for the franchise, and many of which end in acquiring a player sooner, cheaper and developing him earlier.

FireFly
09-04-2009, 06:52 PM
The only part of our roster that was "blown up" was the #32 ranked defense. Every single position on the team except QB was upgraded...

I agree with that sentiment.

As for Smith, hindsight will be 20/20, but if he's a solid starter than we did well quite frankly because for every hit in the first round there are misses. You only have to look at how many big time prospects have failed over the last few years.

What the 1st round represents is hope. Hope for the future of every franchise. Essentially, what we did was trade away future hope for current. Which has made lots of people nervous; particularly those who expect us to do poorly this season because they don't one player can make enough difference to turn the team around.