PDA

View Full Version : AZ game - what did you see?

baja
09-03-2009, 09:47 PM
The good ?

The bad?

The ugly?

ludo21
09-03-2009, 09:50 PM
the good - Moss, Tom B., Buckhalter

Bad - snap that was a fumble on 4th down.. what the heck happened?

ugly - Cardinals... im rooting for them, but they forgot to play tonight

oubronco
09-03-2009, 09:53 PM
Too many throws to the outside I'd like to see more crossing and drag routes to get the ball in the recievers hands while he's running

TheDave
09-03-2009, 09:58 PM
the good - Moss, Tom B., Buckhalter

Bad - snap that was a fumble on 4th down.. what the heck happened?

ugly - Cardinals... im rooting for them, but they forgot to play tonight

What he said... Cardinals never really got off the plane.

tsiguy96
09-03-2009, 09:59 PM
ZBS all day, the running game was in full speed today.

MrPeepers
09-03-2009, 09:59 PM
brandsetter was solid 1st and 2nd and got sloppier as the game went on tryng to make something from nothing. Nearly picked off on 4 occassions.

MrPeepers
09-03-2009, 10:00 PM
mckinley is a smart football player.

oubronco
09-03-2009, 10:00 PM
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh He's a contenda

Zoobie
09-03-2009, 10:04 PM
Good - Defense in general
Bad - lack of touchdowns
Ugly - Arizona in every phase of the game

TheDave
09-03-2009, 10:04 PM
By the way... Good job pitching the shut out.

Rocket 7
09-03-2009, 10:23 PM
Good - Defense in general
Bad - lack of touchdowns
Ugly - Arizona in every phase of the game

Good- Turnovers
Bad- Red zone offense
Ugly- I live 3 miles from Juarez. Hawaii must be nice

Sassy
09-03-2009, 10:25 PM
Good- Turnovers
Bad- Red zone offense

:thumbs:

Sassy
09-03-2009, 10:26 PM
brandsetter was solid 1st and 2nd and got sloppier as the game went on tryng to make something from nothing. Nearly picked off on 4 occassions.

Hmm...but would Orton have had the four? LOL~

bombay
09-03-2009, 10:27 PM
Kenny McKinley looks like a star in the making.

Sassy
09-03-2009, 10:27 PM
Haven't seen it yet! Ha!
NFLN at 12:00 am cst.

ScottXray
09-03-2009, 10:29 PM
So how long since a Bronco Team pitched a shutout...pre-season or not?

AZ looked UGLY in ALL phases.

The good ...Defense and Special teams. Prater kicking it DEEP into the end zone , or past it. 4 FG's. Punt and kick off coverage. Tom B not crapping the bed.

The BAD: Ingle and the play calling in the second half.

brncs_fan
09-03-2009, 10:29 PM
Haven't seen it yet! Ha!

Which sucks for those of us headed to bed that have to be up in 6 hours.

:(

Zoobie
09-03-2009, 10:31 PM
Good- Turnovers
Bad- Red zone offense

Hawaii is truly amazing. I don't see why more people don't move here.

baja
09-03-2009, 10:34 PM
Kenny McKinley looks like a star in the making.

Which raises the question "What can we get for Marshall.

R8R H8R
09-03-2009, 10:34 PM
Good- 1st half offense, the entire defense, 4 turnovers, and a shut out.

Bad- Fumbled snap, red zone offense, & 2nd half offense.

Ugly- The Cards. That was real ugly--1st team, 2nd team, and everybody else.

tsiguy96
09-03-2009, 10:35 PM
gotta remember about brandstater, he scored i think 13 pts against az's 1st team d without moreno, hillis, gaffney, stokes or royal. AZ didnt have all starters out there, but did have the big names. the run game was good, jordan has more carries than yards this preseason, the defense was great, and were helped that AZ couldnt do anything all night

Broncobiv
09-03-2009, 10:36 PM
I was getting pretty tired of watching Kern boot punts into the endzone. FINALLY in the 4th quarter he miraculously learned how to kick it out of bounds at the 10 yard line.

I don't understand why more punters don't do that. Everyone tries to make it hit the middle of the field at the 5 and stop, or bounce backwards. Just kick it out of bounds somewhere inside the 10!

Dagmar
09-03-2009, 10:38 PM
Haven't seen it yet! Ha!

Continue comparing those throws you haven't seen to those of Orton though.

baja
09-03-2009, 10:40 PM

lol

bombay
09-03-2009, 10:40 PM
Which raises the question "What can we get for Marshall.

Eighty to 100 catches.

baja
09-03-2009, 10:42 PM
Eighty to 100 catches.

Or a suspended player I'd say it's a toss up

Broncoman13
09-03-2009, 10:42 PM
IMO, Jarvis Moss earned a spot onto this team. That was as disruptive of a half as I've seen from any Bronco in three or four years. Phenomenal effort tonight and he plays the run better than any LB or DE on the team.

baja
09-03-2009, 10:43 PM
No moss on Moss

baja
09-03-2009, 10:44 PM
Post game stats someone

Broncobiv
09-03-2009, 10:45 PM
Moss was VERY quick off the snap. On several plays he was in the backfield before the OL could react.

Broncobiv
09-03-2009, 10:45 PM
Post game stats someone

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2009090361/2009/PRE4/cardinals@broncos#tab:analyze

broncofan2438
09-03-2009, 10:47 PM
The good: Prater, there were others, but Prater was on point tonight

Sassy
09-03-2009, 10:50 PM

I wasn't comparing anything...
:giggle:
Just picking on Orton.

Sassy
09-03-2009, 10:51 PM
Which sucks for those of us headed to bed that have to be up in 6 hours.

:(

Hit record.

baja
09-03-2009, 10:52 PM
Stats - Thanks

baja
09-03-2009, 11:14 PM
the good; D ST tom b Moss

the bad; ayers

the ugly; chat room

Sassy
09-03-2009, 11:26 PM
Chatroom is always ugly...
Game just started on NFLN.

Durango
09-03-2009, 11:26 PM
I saw a bunch of players doing everything they could to make their respective rosters. I saw a Lamont Jordan start a run from the backfield when I left the living room to get a Soda and just make it to the line when I returned a few minutes later. Isn't it time he start selling insurance, or be appointed a spot on that ESPN 'expert' analysis panel or something?

Oh, and the defense looks better

Rock Chalk
09-03-2009, 11:32 PM
Chatroom is always ugly...
Game just started on NFLN.

Chat was ugly cuz no one cared and rev was drunk and started in with some drunked **** probably bannable on the site itself.

TonyR
09-04-2009, 06:46 AM
Goose egg for the desert birds
Posted by Mike Florio on September 4, 2009 8:11 AM ET

We typically don't believe that a team's performance in the preseason has much bearing on what that team will do once the games count.

Case in point? The 2008 Lions were undefeated in August.

But we tend to pay closer attention when the outcome of the games that don't count validates our preconceived notion regarding the team's outlook for the year.

Case in point? The 2009 Cardinals finished the phony portion of the schedule 0-4.

And they punctuated their post-Super Bowl hangover with a 19-0 loss at Denver on Thursday night.

Regarding last night's skunking, the Cards can't hide behind the excuse that their starters didn't play. Quarterback Kurt Warner led two drives, finishing with two completions on seven attempts -- and one completion to the other team.

Coach Ken Whisenhunt said after the game that the plan was to use Warner for one drive only, but that Whisenhunt decided during the game to give Warner another shot.

"Bringing him in the second drive, I wanted to get a little bit of flow going for him," Whisenhunt said. "We had a couple of throws the first drive where we were a little out of sync. I wanted to get him another throw, but obviously that kind of back-fired on me because we had the interception."

Though some assume that the Cardinals will parlay their postseason success into a stellar 2009 regular season, we continue to believe there's very real cause for concern for a team that was 9-7 last year, with an average of more than 44 points surrendered during five of those games. So Whisenhunt surely wouldn't have given his 38-year-old starting quarterback with a surgically-repaired hip two drives in the last preseason game if Whisenhunt didn't sense that the Cards might not be fully prepared for life with a target on their backs.

Based on last night's outcome, they don't seem to be any more ready for what's coming.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/09/04/goose-egg-for-the-desert-birds/

elsid13
09-04-2009, 06:52 AM
Good - hustle on defense, Prater, and Lloyde
Bad - Quinn (hasn't shown anything this preseason)
- the man to man blocking attempts, just crappy stick with the ZBS
Very Bad - the 3rd down efficiency
OK - Brandstater shows flashes but 51% completion rate on base vanilla defense isn't very good.

mhgaffney
09-04-2009, 06:54 AM
I don't agree with keeping the extra receiver if it means cutting Moss.

Pass rush is just too important.

Los Broncos
09-04-2009, 08:43 AM
All I know is that we pitched a shut out.

Broncos4tw
09-04-2009, 08:48 AM
It's just nice to see our defense leaving the Slowik "era." Much more aggressive. More blitzes, playing the ball, etc. That alone will make our defense jump up many notches. Some teams may take advantage of it, but we'll win a lot more games than lose, by playing that way. Slowik's system SUCKED.

tsiguy96
09-04-2009, 08:49 AM
elsid, i think yesterday was almost exclusively ZBS through first half and it showed, we moved the ball on the ground with ease.

bendog
09-04-2009, 08:49 AM
He didn't try and dress like his Uncle Bill, so that was less offensive.

jhns
09-04-2009, 08:57 AM
The defense has shown a lot of improvement this preseason. We had a lack of turnovers before this game but every other area has been getting much better. I hope it carries over to the regular season and they continue to improve.

Just imagine if we had last years offense with these defensive and special teams improvements. We could of had a pretty good year.

Rohirrim
09-04-2009, 09:14 AM
the good: Defense is playing with some fire in its guts
the better (than before): STs coverage looks much better.
the fantastic: The kicking. Prater's blasts into the EZ are fun to watch.
the bad: The Cardinals were barely awake. If this keeps up, Whisenhunt is gone.
the really bad: The playbook. I'm sure there is more to it than this and I'm sure it's just more of the subterfuge of The Hoodies (I think they're a cult - how's your extremities today?)
the worst: STs run blocking is non-existent. Every time the punt returner looks up from catching the ball, all he sees is the other guys.
the ugly: The downfield game. BS made it look better than it is last night, but I know next week it won't be there.
the uglier: LB pass coverage. Yes, it's fun to watch Reid pull down the first INT. I hope we're not counting on that against Carson Palmer. I fear we have no coverage over the middle.
the ugliest: Orton's finger
the unknown: Knowshon Moreno
the best: No more injuries

SonOfLe-loLang
09-04-2009, 09:24 AM
Good - hustle on defense, Prater, and Lloyde
Bad - Quinn (hasn't shown anything this preseason)
- the man to man blocking attempts, just crappy stick with the ZBS
Very Bad - the 3rd down efficiency
OK - Brandstater shows flashes but 51% completion rate on base vanilla defense isn't very good.

First off, they blitzed him often...i dunno how "vanilla" that was. Secondly, a some of his incompletions were drops while others were shots downfield. All in all, ESPECIALLY for his first start, i'd say he was pretty damn good

elsid13
09-04-2009, 09:32 AM
elsid, i think yesterday was almost exclusively ZBS through first half and it showed, we moved the ball on the ground with ease.

they moved to man to man in the red zone. The second series when they were in the red zone and couldn't run the ball was exclusive man to man blocking.

worm
09-04-2009, 09:39 AM
I am NOT a fan of the inside hand-off from the gun.

Does this play ever work???

Peoples Champ
09-04-2009, 09:40 AM
Too many throws to the outside I'd like to see more crossing and drag routes to get the ball in the recievers hands while he's running

I like that too, it seemed like the Pats always did it when McDaniels was there, i hope he starts doing it here.

elsid13
09-04-2009, 09:41 AM
First off, they blitzed him often...i dunno how "vanilla" that was. Secondly, a some of his incompletions were drops while others were shots downfield. All in all, ESPECIALLY for his first start, i'd say he was pretty damn good

Wilson (AZ) on the feed last night, during a sideline interview during the game, stated we are working on our base packages tonight. No game planning or any stunts. Running a Blitz doesn't mean that it is not a vanilla base defense scheme.

During a preseason game you want to see your QB hitting in 65% completion range. Brandstater showed flashes but he also showed that he needs time before he will be on the field during the regular season.

SonOfLe-loLang
09-04-2009, 09:43 AM
Wilson (AZ) on the feed last night, during a sideline interview during the game, stated we are working on our base packages tonight. No game planning or any stunts. Running a Blitz doesn't mean that it is not a vanilla base defense scheme.

During a preseason game you want to see your QB hitting in 65% completion range. Brandstater showed flashes but he also showed that he needs time before he will be on the field during the regular season.

Yeah, well, ya know, thats what happens when the broncos 2nd team offense plays well against your first team D. Excuses. And give the guy some friggin time, it was his FIRST start. He probably went down the field too often, which killed his completion percentage, but he did move the ball down the field and, if i recall, was pretty good on third down. A lot of their stalls weren't necessarily brandstater related.

Rohirrim
09-04-2009, 09:43 AM

TD liked it. ;)

SonOfLe-loLang
09-04-2009, 09:45 AM

I'm with you on that, i never liked it either, but a team like Texas (college) runs out of it exclusively. The running back, to me, doesnt seem like he ever gets a full head of steam. Sure, you can do it on a draw when youre trying to trick someone, but if youre going to run 60 percent of your snaps from the gun, seems like itll hurt the running game

gtown

I frickin hate that play. The QB doesn't turn his body enough to hide the ball on that play, leaving it wide open for the D to see. There is no play action element at all.

I do however like the delayed draw out of the shotgun. McD called that play all the time on 3rd and long last year. The DL would blitz, run right past the LOS, and the QB would simply hand it off for the first down. Of course, there would have to be a QB back there with the desire to make a 25 yard throw, and I am not sure we have that.

gyldenlove
Kenny Mckinley is a baller, he has good sense for getting open and looks like someone who can play really well against the zone or in man cover.

I really liked the defense, they did some good things, even though most of it was against backups they looked good against Warner.

SonOfLe-loLang
09-04-2009, 09:46 AM
I frickin hate that play. The QB doesn't turn his body enough to hide the ball on that play, leaving it wide open for the D to see. There is no play action element at all.

I do however like the delayed draw out of the shotgun. McD called that play all the time on 3rd and long last year. The DL would blitz, run right past the LOS, and the QB would simply hand it off for the first down. Of course, there would have to be a QB back there with the desire to make a 25 yard throw, and I am not sure we have that.

Well, we do, he's just an untested 6th round rookie:)

elsid13
09-04-2009, 09:48 AM
Yeah, well, ya know, thats what happens when the broncos 2nd team offense plays well against your first team D. Excuses. And give the guy some friggin time, it was his FIRST start. He probably went down the field too often, which killed his completion percentage, but he did move the ball down the field and, if i recall, was pretty good on third down. A lot of their stalls weren't necessarily brandstater related.

Dude I not saying he sucks, but we need to be honest that he not ready to be the starter like many are calling for based upon 4th preseason game. And he was so-so on 3rd downs.

Edit reviewed the game log he was 2 out of 10 (that include only the plays were he was passing the ball and I didn't give a success conversion on 5 yard illegal contact play)

DenverBroncosJM
09-04-2009, 09:51 AM
I see everyone is saying Moss was part of the good but...he gets in the backfield quick off the snap then he seems to stutter back there

Lich and Olson played pretty good

Defense looks good, I think we saw a lot more tonight of what the regular season is going to be.

SonOfLe-loLang
09-04-2009, 09:52 AM
Dude I not saying he sucks, but we need to be honest that he not ready to be the starter like many are calling for based upon 4th preseason game. And he was so-so on 3rd downs.

oh, im not saying he should be the starter, but i do think he's further along than i ever would have imagined. I remember some nice third down completions in the first half. Also the beautiful fade to mckinley (that he dropped, dback made a nice play on was on third down). I was beyond encouraged by his play, i dont care about the completion percentage for now because alot of the incompletions came downfield. If you want his percentage to be high, we can screen and 3 step all day.

I loved the way he went through his progression. One of the more impressive plays, to me, was in the 2nd half on a 1 yard incompletion to Nate Swift. It seemed like all his reads were to the right side ofthe field, but he calmly looked at all his targets, had no one open, and came to Swift on the other side (i think im remember this right). Showed good patience and the willingness to take whats there.

Sure, his pick was bad, but i dont think he forced it as much as just never saw the underneath coverage (we should all be used to this, 90 percent of Jay's interceptions were as a result of this).

He's got work to do, but BY FAR, throws the nicest ball on the team and i see a lot of potential for the future.