PDA

View Full Version : Brandstater For QB1!

RhymesayersDU
09-03-2009, 07:33 PM
Let's roll the dice. Start the kid. All 16 games.

Do we really have anything to lose? From 5 wins max to 3 wins max?

Garcia Bronco
09-03-2009, 07:35 PM
I'll give Orton a couple of games, but if we are going to take lumps...might as well be with the rookie.

Smiling Assassin27
09-03-2009, 07:53 PM
Let's roll the dice. Start the kid. All 16 games.

Do we really have anything to lose? From 5 wins max to 3 wins max?

Once upon a time, there was a boy named Brian Griese...:rofl:

spdirty
09-03-2009, 07:57 PM
Hell I think Brandstater could get em more wins than Plorton. Has good size, decent arm (which is a helluva lot better than Kyle) and a little wiggle in his legs. Arent doing shlt this year anyway, why the hell not?

Kid A
09-03-2009, 07:58 PM
Once upon a time, there was a boy named Brian Griese...:rofl:

This.

Though, I will say that if Brandstater has to start in week 1 or something it might not be the disaster I would have predicted a month ago. Hopefully this kid can continue to impress.

tsiguy96
09-03-2009, 07:59 PM
i agree 100%, he played great against AZ #1D without marshall, royal, stokes or 1a or 1b RB.

buttttt,

viclombardi: I know what you're thinking...but Brandstater could throw for 3,000 yards tonight...still wouldn't win the starting gig..not if Orton health

Garcia Bronco
09-03-2009, 08:00 PM
4 games. After that the kid should be educated enough to run with it.

frerottenextelway
09-03-2009, 08:02 PM
I have no f'n idea who should start. And I stand by that.

MileHighMagic
09-03-2009, 08:06 PM
I can't believe how much more relaxed he looks. He doesn't look like a rookie at all.

BlaK-Argentina
09-03-2009, 08:08 PM
I have no f'n idea who should start. And I stand by that.

Haha, I'm in the same boat. I'd love for a young guy like Brandstater to step up ala Flacco last year but I still think Orton could do a good job. Not much upside there though IMO... and Simms is also intriguing and could be very good with some upside.

Of course they could all blow too.

Garcia Bronco
09-03-2009, 08:18 PM
He looks like he has the tools. Can throw downfield, can put some touch on it, Tall enough, enough arm, can stand in the pocket and throw. Obviously the negative to his game is his inexperience. That takes time. Might as well give it to him.

lostknight
09-03-2009, 08:18 PM
McDaniels has done all number of irrational insane things this offseason. Why not this? I rather suspect the team would be the better for it.

tsiguy96
09-03-2009, 08:19 PM
garcia, we start him after week 4, thats really throwing him to the wolves. look at schedule starting then...

broncofan7
09-03-2009, 08:20 PM
He's been our most impressive QB with Simms being 2nd--If Orton does start against Cincy--hopefully something goes off in his head and he puts together better efforts than he did against Sf, SEA and chicago--but I have a man crush on Tom B.

DBroncos4life
09-03-2009, 08:21 PM
How is he in the pocket? He isn't getting freaked out with all the time he has to throw is he? I hear that can really **** up a QB's mental clock.

broncofan7
09-03-2009, 08:23 PM
How is he in the pocket? He isn't getting freaked out with all the time he has to throw is he? I hear that can really **** up a QB's mental clock.

Orton is like an abused dog that cannot be rehabilitated-even behind our offensive line-time to put him down.

Garcia Bronco
09-03-2009, 08:23 PM
garcia, we start him after week 4, thats really throwing him to the wolves. look at schedule starting then...

Could be. We've got the line to pull it off I think. Rick Dennison, who I used to blame for all sorts of things, really has kept the stabilty and strength of our line from a coaching perspective.

MplsBronco
09-03-2009, 08:27 PM
I don't get the doomsdayer attitude around here. This team has talent and will be competitive. Too much stock has been placed in the preseason and the record. What I see is a team putting forth great effort that has lost the undearned/undeserved chip on it's shoulder that it has carried around for years as a result of Shanny telling them they are better than they actually are.

Gcver2ver3
i saw this coming a mile away...

relax guys...

it's good to see him doing so much better...makes me feel better if Orton is unable to go...

but let's not get carried away...

you don't take an unproven rookie over the veteran because he got hot against some back ups in AZ...

it is good to see the kid play with so much confidence though...

night and diff from his 4 sack performance a few weeks ago...

titan
For sure have to keep Brandstater on the 53 man roster now and not try to sneak him through waivers to the practice squad.

BlaK-Argentina
09-03-2009, 08:30 PM
Man that was a horrible throw. Absolutely ZERO chance of completing it.

I want SIMMS! ;D

Mr.Meanie
09-03-2009, 08:30 PM
Brandstater isn't nearly ready to start, but credit McD for spotting someone with potential in the draft! This kid can sit and learn for a year or two and possibly become something special.

Gcver2ver3
09-03-2009, 08:34 PM
Brandstater isn't nearly ready to start, but credit McD for spotting someone with potential in the draft! This kid can sit and learn for a year or two and possibly become something special.

this...

TheDave
09-03-2009, 08:36 PM
Kids got a fantastic arm and good mobility... But he's no where near ready.

tsiguy96
09-03-2009, 08:41 PM
i wonder what about him makes him not ready to start...especially when you can gameplan to help him with more running and screens. he had one awful throw yea, but beyond that, atleast the potential is there, what do we gain by starting orton who will be coming off a finger dislocation...

chawknz
09-03-2009, 08:43 PM
Brandstater is the only bright thing from the QB position so far this season.

RhymesayersDU
09-03-2009, 08:43 PM
I don't get the doomsdayer attitude around here. This team has talent and will be competitive. Too much stock has been placed in the preseason and the record. What I see is a team putting forth great effort that has lost the undearned/undeserved chip on it's shoulder that it has carried around for years as a result of Shanny telling them they are better than they actually are.

So how many games do they win?

And specifically against who? Go ahead, look at the schedule. It's hard.

BlaK-Argentina
09-03-2009, 08:44 PM
i wonder what about him makes him not ready to start...especially when you can gameplan to help him with more running and screens. he had one awful throw yea, but beyond that, atleast the potential is there, what do we gain by starting orton who will be coming off a finger dislocation...

McD won't start him. He probably should. There's nothing to lose.

oubronco
09-03-2009, 08:45 PM

I agree even with a really good QB it's a tough schedule

TheDave
09-03-2009, 08:47 PM

Just look at the simplicity of the offense he is running... single reads and using his arm to exploit the intermediate to deep examples of single coverage.

No where near the complex multiple option sets that Orton is running.

We could get away with Brandstater here and there, but teams would quickly take away his strengths.

Could be a legitamate option next season though...

tsiguy96
09-03-2009, 08:48 PM
Just look at the simplicity of the offense he is running... single reads and using his arm to exploit the intermediate to deep examples of single coverage.

We could get away with Brandstater here and there, but teams would quickly take away his strengths.

but orton isnt hitting any of those options except the checkdown guy...i dunno if hes choosing to or if thats what hes supposed to be doing however. but cant deny production, brandy took em to RZ 4 out of 5 opening drives i believe

MplsBronco
09-03-2009, 08:50 PM

More than your 5 max. I'm not saying they are playoff material but they aren't the Chiefs either. Guarantee we don't get raped at home by Oakland this year, unlike last year.

NFLBRONCO
09-03-2009, 08:50 PM

I agree with this as well.

lex
09-03-2009, 08:51 PM
but orton isnt hitting any of those options except the checkdown guy...i dunno if hes choosing to or if thats what hes supposed to be doing however. but cant deny production, brandy took em to RZ 4 out of 5 opening drives i believe

Thats right, guy. Orton likes checkdown guy, guy.

BlaK-Argentina
09-03-2009, 08:57 PM

Just stop. You're not even close. ROFL!

watermock
09-03-2009, 08:58 PM
Brandy looks better than neckbeard. period.

TheDave

You should be banned for 24 hours for attempting to implement the nickname "Brandy"... 8')

MplsBronco

What level of success will it take for you to admit you are wrong and just plain shut up?

Mr.Meanie
09-03-2009, 09:03 PM
You should be banned for 24 hours for attempting to implement the nickname "Brandy"... 8')

haha

RhymesayersDU
09-03-2009, 09:03 PM
More than your 5 max. I'm not saying they are playoff material but they aren't the Chiefs either. Guarantee we don't get raped at home by Oakland this year, unlike last year.

Way to cop out on the answer. We have a brutal schedule and a rebuilding team. Recipe for disaster. Off the top of my head, I think we beat the Raiders, Chiefs, (once each, at home) Bengals, Browns, and maybe pull off an upset somewhere else. Or maybe sweep the Raiders. I don't see any other wins.

I'm just being (IMO) realistic. Believe me, I hope I'm wrong. I hope we win 16 games and I'm the biggest idiot this side of Spider. I just don't see where the wins will come from.

footstepsfrom#27
09-03-2009, 09:06 PM
Kids got a fantastic arm and good mobility... But he's no where near ready.
Do we have one that is?

TheDave
09-03-2009, 09:07 PM
Do we have one that is?

True...

lex
09-03-2009, 09:08 PM
Way to cop out on the answer. We have a brutal schedule and a rebuilding team. Recipe for disaster. Off the top of my head, I think we beat the Raiders, Chiefs, (once each, at home) Bengals, Browns, and maybe pull off an upset somewhere else. Or maybe sweep the Raiders. I don't see any other wins.

I'm just being (IMO) realistic. Believe me, I hope I'm wrong. I hope we win 16 games and I'm the biggest idiot this side of Spider. I just don't see where the wins will come from.

LOL. Yeah, not only is the nitwit being inane by not really going out on a limb, but notice how he's obsessed about one game. There are 15 other games, guy.

Kid A
09-03-2009, 09:09 PM

I'm guilty of doing it on another thread. Seems to be catching on...Tom better come up with something catchy soon if he wants to avoid it sticking.

Plus it puts him one letter away from a certain other QB...

TheDave
09-03-2009, 09:12 PM
I'm guilty of doing it on another thread. Seems to be catching on...Tom better come up with something catchy soon if he wants to avoid it sticking.

Plus it puts him one letter away from a certain other QB...

I'm so disappointed in some of you...

footstepsfrom#27
09-03-2009, 09:13 PM
No.

"Brandy" is reserved for "Brandy Frayle" in KC.

MplsBronco
09-03-2009, 09:13 PM

I'm in the 7-9 win camp. Good enough for you? No one on our schedule is unbeatable.

MplsBronco
09-03-2009, 09:16 PM
LOL. Yeah, not only is the nitwit being inane by not really going out on a limb, but notice how he's obsessed about one game. There are 15 other games, guy.

Obsessed? I guess if anyone would know anything about being obsessed it would be you, limpd!ck. I've seen enough of you to know you are ****ing pathetic. What a miserable life you must lead.

lex
09-03-2009, 09:18 PM
Obsessed? I guess if anyone would know anything about being obsessed it would be you, limpd!ck. I've seen enough of you to know you are ****ing pathetic. What a miserable life you must lead.

No, whats pathetic is saying something without saying anything, eunuch.

MplsBronco
09-03-2009, 09:20 PM
No, whats pathetic is saying something without saying anything, eunuch.

Again if anyone knows anything about saying something without saying anything, it would be you.

Man-Goblin
09-03-2009, 09:21 PM

Every year teams that are supposed to be good suck, and teams that aren't supposed to be good are. Just ride it out, man. This team was talented enough to get 8 wins last year and even after a coaching transition I think they can muster up the same this year. I guess we will see.

lex
09-03-2009, 09:24 PM
Again if anyone knows anything about saying something without saying anything, it would be you.

Again, this coming from a eunuch.

MplsBronco
09-03-2009, 09:27 PM
Every year teams that are supposed to be good suck, and teams that aren't supposed to be good are. Just ride it out, man. This team was talented enough to get 8 wins last year and even after a coaching transition I think they can muster up the same this year. I guess we will see.

Exactly. We still have a solid o-line, what I consider solid RB play, solid WR/TE, I see improvement in d-line simply in being more active. I expect more out of the LB position and I think the secondary will be a strength. I also expect better ST play although Prater scares the crap out of me. This 2,3,4 win crap is nonsense.

MplsBronco
09-03-2009, 09:29 PM
Again, this coming from a eunuch.

I guess you got me, man. Way to go. Feel better about yourself and your miserable existence?

Br0nc0Buster
09-03-2009, 09:33 PM
Only way Brandstater gets in there is if we are eliminated from the playoffs, and Orton and Simms are sucking it up

In that case I wouldnt be opposed to him playing

I do like Brandys potential, but I wouldnt put him in there unless I absolutely had to

RhymesayersDU
09-03-2009, 09:34 PM

We shall see! I can appreciate the fact that nobody picked the Cards for the SuperBowl, teams play up, teams play down, etc. But on paper I see very few teams that the Broncos are better then.

I'd also argue that the defense is still rebuilding and we're worse at the most important position on the field, quarterback. Obviously a healthy DJ and healthy Champ will help the D, along with new players, Dawkins, etc.

Like I said originally, I hope I'm wrong. I just don't see it at this point.

lex
09-03-2009, 09:36 PM
I guess you got me, man. Way to go. Feel better about yourself and your miserable existence?

Yawn

Mr.Meanie
09-03-2009, 09:37 PM
I do like Brandys potential, but I wouldnt put him in there unless I absolutely had to

Can we get someone to recode this site so anytime someone types the name "Brandy" they download a virus?

broncswin
09-03-2009, 10:00 PM
wow...Tom B. looked composed and very mobile in the pocket, he stepped up avoiding pressure but didn't force. He can throw on the run, and he doesn't mind throwing deep. He sets up screens nice by waiting for the d to bite and puts it on the hands. He has good zip on the ball and makes the 15 yard out look easy...all this without some major weapons against a number one d. By the way, total props to the line tonight.....I think we should give it a go, I don't think it will be any worse than orton....atleast B is exciting to watch.

listopencil
09-03-2009, 10:25 PM
Haha.

Brandy.

Brandy Brandy Brandy.

Brandy.

Too late. It's done.

Boobs McGee
09-03-2009, 10:36 PM
how bout tom tom?

Tom Bradystater?

B-rand?

Randy McDandy?

just brainstormin here....

And p.s. I'd like to see if orton can step it up (or simms for that matter), but for a half of football the rook looked pretty composed.

Dagmar
09-03-2009, 10:37 PM
Yawn

I hope you die. Seriously.

Boobs McGee
09-03-2009, 10:41 PM
I hope you die. Seriously.

this

Hercules Rockefeller
09-03-2009, 10:44 PM
He's earned a roster spot, nothing more. They can't take the chance he'll get through waivers. Maybe if they're out of it the last few weeks he should get a start or two, but not at this point.

uplink
09-03-2009, 10:45 PM
Could Brandstater's performance lead to Simms getting cut? He could be a capable back-up to Orton. Its unclear if McD will keep 3 QBs, Shanny usually didn't.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

baja
09-03-2009, 10:45 PM
lighten up on lex

baja
09-03-2009, 10:46 PM
he's Mock wiith better spelling

bronco militia
09-03-2009, 10:47 PM
http://pic16.picturetrail.com/VOL637/2498345/22431097/373369043.jpg

lazarus4444
09-03-2009, 10:58 PM
This kid would get eaten alive against the steelers and ravens. But, with that said, i'm glad he is showing flashes of competency but he's def. not ready. Orton will be fine in the interim.

Garcia Bronco
09-03-2009, 11:03 PM
Just call him by Brandstater you lazy asses. :p

Boobs McGee
09-03-2009, 11:07 PM
lol WAAAAaaaaaay too much work ;)

Chris
09-03-2009, 11:12 PM
The OM is randy for brandy

bombquixote
09-03-2009, 11:20 PM
how bout tom tom?

Tom Bradystater?

B-rand?

Randy McDandy?

just brainstormin here....

And p.s. I'd like to see if orton can step it up (or simms for that matter), but for a half of football the rook looked pretty composed.

Brando.

My work here is done.

BigPlayShay
09-03-2009, 11:41 PM
Nickname:

Stater > Brandy

Boobs McGee
09-03-2009, 11:43 PM
Brando.

My work here is done.

well played sir.

Brando it is

orange 4 life
09-03-2009, 11:51 PM
Do we really have anything to lose?

Yeah, we do.
They're called "games," and while you may be predicting a 5 win season with Orton (and you wouldn't be the only one), I agree with Dave Logan who said that based on the preseason all we really know about this team is that we don't know.
Like him (and you), I CAN envision a dismal 5 win season. I can also see an average team that wins 7 or 8.

.....and I can also see a possibility for a 10 win season, even with the brutal midseason schedule.

Bottom line is this team is IMPROVED from a year ago (and maybe DRAMATICALLY on the defensive side of the ball) except at the qb position, and even at THAT hugely important position, we at least have a hard nosed leader instead of a kid with a golden arm and no heart.

Let's look at what we have compared to a year ago when we were one player (a healthy Hillis and we beat Buffalo. Shoulda beat 'em anyway) away from being 9-7 and AFC West Champs.

The defense gets last years' injured players back healthy (most notably Champ) plus added Dawkins as well as a few others (Ayers is starting to look pretty good IMO) who could make an immediate impact.
Add to that that we're running a 3-4 which should give us a much improved pass rush (gotta love Elvis getting a running start!) and have a coordinator in Nolan (seems to be running a tight ship) who's known for his defense's ability to create turnovers and this could be a middle of the pack defense.

On the offensive side of the ball we have a healthy Stokley and Hillis (and go into the season knowing what Hillis is capable of), a solid line, a new (potential) stud running back, a solid vet receiver in Gaffney, and more seasoned players in Scheffler, Royal, Clady, etc.
If Marshall and Moreno can get on the field and make an impact, this offense could be BETTER than it was last year even WITHOUT the crybaby under center.

We've seen the good, the bad, and the UGLY from Kyle Orton this preseason, but count me in the camp that says we've seen more good than bad.
I've gone into the why's more than a couple times so I won't do it again, but at the end of the day I think this guy might be ALOT better than most of us think he'll be, and if that's the case, this team could be hugely improved from the team that won 8 last season.

You may be ready to abandon the season, but I'm not, and I doubt our owner, coach, and players are either.

McMastermind
09-03-2009, 11:58 PM
Could Brandstater's performance lead to Simms getting cut? He could be a capable back-up to Orton. Its unclear if McD will keep 3 QBs, Shanny usually didn't.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

That would be awesome just for the buff meltdown...

footstepsfrom#27
09-04-2009, 12:06 AM
This kid would get eaten alive against the steelers and ravens. But, with that said, i'm glad he is showing flashes of competency but he's def. not ready. Orton will be fine in the interim.
What's interesting about this quote is that it might work just as well if you reversed "Orton" and "this kid".

lazarus4444
09-04-2009, 12:08 AM
Yeah, we do.
They're called "games," and while you may be predicting a 5 win season with Orton (and you wouldn't be the only one), I agree with Dave Logan who said that based on the preseason all we really know about this team is that we don't know.
Like him (and you), I CAN envision a dismal 5 win season. I can also see an average team that wins 7 or 8.

.....and I can also see a possibility for a 10 win season, even with the brutal midseason schedule.

Bottom line is this team is IMPROVED from a year ago (and maybe DRAMATICALLY on the defensive side of the ball) except at the qb position, and even at THAT hugely important position, we at least have a hard nosed leader instead of a kid with a golden arm and no heart.

Let's look at what we have compared to a year ago when we were one player (a healthy Hillis and we beat Buffalo. Shoulda beat 'em anyway) away from being 9-7 and AFC West Champs.

The defense gets last years' injured players back healthy (most notably Champ) plus added Dawkins as well as a few others (Ayers is starting to look pretty good IMO) who could make an immediate impact.
Add to that that we're running a 3-4 which should give us a much improved pass rush (gotta love Elvis getting a running start!) and have a coordinator in Nolan (seems to be running a tight ship) who's known for his defense's ability to create turnovers and this could be a middle of the pack defense.

On the offensive side of the ball we have a healthy Stokley and Hillis (and go into the season knowing what Hillis is capable of), a solid line, a new (potential) stud running back, a solid vet receiver in Gaffney, and more seasoned players in Scheffler, Royal, Clady, etc.
If Marshall and Moreno can get on the field and make an impact, this offense could be BETTER than it was last year even WITHOUT the crybaby under center.

We've seen the good, the bad, and the UGLY from Kyle Orton this preseason, but count me in the camp that says we've seen more good than bad.
I've gone into the why's more than a couple times so I won't do it again, but at the end of the day I think this guy might be ALOT better than most of us think he'll be, and if that's the case, this team could be hugely improved from the team that won 8 last season.

You may be ready to abandon the season, but I'm not, and I doubt our owner, coach, and players are either.

This here is a great post and exactly my feelings on this situation. The rest of you can **** off for giving up on this team before they even started.

Doggcow
09-04-2009, 12:56 AM
Screw you guys, I started this thread a week ago!

Popps
09-04-2009, 01:05 AM
Props Jake and Lazz.

I understand the frustration with Orton's start, but I still don't think we've seen where we are with him yet. Again, we saw him move the team very effectively and regularly. He just made some dumb throws, had a little bad luck and looks like he's still adjusting. Again, I also believe he's running a much more complex version of this offense than the back-ups. He's in 4-5 wide shotgun on almost every play.

Put it this way... take away the endzone INT against SF, and say Gaffney holds onto the TD pass against SEA, I think we'd be seeing this all very differently.

Again, this board was ready to cut Brandstater after week 2. People were unified in calling this guy walking dog****.

Now, the same board is unified in calling for him to start.

The moral here? Maybe you can't jump to definitive conclusions with this little information.

Orton may suck, or he may find the groove and start clicking comfortably in this offense. We've seen a little of both, and it's too early to tell.

Either way, with Brandstater playing much better and Simms still in the wings... I'm feeling confident that we're going to be fine at the QB position this season as we rebuild this franchise.

Mr.Meanie
09-04-2009, 09:01 AM
Yeah, we do.

rep

WolfpackGuy
09-04-2009, 09:06 AM
If the team is going to take it in the ear this year, I'd rather them do it with a rookie QB.
Orton will never be anything other than a backup.

worm
09-04-2009, 09:28 AM
A pet QB project is exactly what Josh needs. It is what he has proven to be very, very good at.

Watch this kid develop over the next two years. I don't know if he has 'it' enough to lead this team to the promise land...but I would bet a lot of money that he can turn into a decent Pro QB in a couple years.

Rohirrim
09-04-2009, 09:33 AM
A pet QB project is exactly what Josh needs. It is what he has proven to be very, very good at.

Watch this kid develop over the next two years. I don't know if he has 'it' enough to lead this team to the promise land...but I would bet a lot of money that he can turn into a decent Pro QB in a couple years.

There were a number of things that were very impressive about this kid last night, especially his poise and command of the huddle. You're right. He will be fun to watch. In a couple of years, he might really be something.

Rock Chalk
09-04-2009, 11:03 AM
Way too raw but if we can keep him around a year or two, let him learn and get comfortable in an NFL offense I think Brandstater could be a pretty damn good QB in the NFL.