PDA

View Full Version : Interesting QB article

Black96WS6
09-03-2009, 12:06 PM
Take a look:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/preview09/columns/story?columnist=dilfer_trent&id=4436281

Forget fantasy football for a minute and let's deal with a little reality.

Never in the history of the NFL has the league asked more from its quarterbacks. The demands have grown exponentially even in the past 10 years. The responsibilities quarterbacks must handle today -- protection adjustments, run-game decisions, audible packages and solving defenses that evolve each week -- deserve another level of analysis.

This project has been in the works for a while, fueled by frustration over pundits' repeated failures to acknowledge and appreciate the most difficult position in sports. After studying quarterbacks throughout my career and spending the past year evaluating the position daily, I believe a strong argument can be made that quarterback play today is as good as ever -- and possibly even better.

It's frankly impossible to rank quarterbacks definitively. It's not how good they are so much as how well they are playing and the situation they are in. Their talent, game-day abilities, the offensive systems they run, the personnel around them, the experiences they've had to this point in their careers -- they all come into play.

Rather than labeling quarterbacks, I've created categories to reflect where each of them stands at this point in his career, subject to change. Anyone can criticize. I've set out to appreciate the position through a level of analysis that simply isn't available without a full understanding for what these players experience and how the game has changed...<MORE>

lex
09-03-2009, 01:24 PM
Meh. The QBs of the mid and late 90s were better than what you see today. Just because a QB has to make a bunch of reads, doesnt mean he's better. Ultimately it comes down passing and when you look at the QBs of the mid/late 90s, most QBs today fall well short of that. Not only that but the rules have made it progressively easier for QBs.