PDA

View Full Version : Skins Play Hard Ball With Their Fans

Rohirrim
09-03-2009, 12:44 PM
Last year, Hill's real estate sales were hit hard by the housing market crash, and she told the team that she could no longer afford her $5,300-a-year contract for two loge seats behind the end zone. Hill said she asked the Redskins to waive her contract for a year or two.

The sales office declined.

On Oct. 8, the Redskins sued Hill in Prince George's County Circuit Court for backing out of a 10-year ticket-renewal agreement after the first year. The team sought payment for every season through 2017, plus interest, attorneys' fees and court costs.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/09/02/AR2009090203887.html?hpid%3Dtopnews&sub=AR

TailgateNut
09-03-2009, 12:47 PM
Last year, Hill's real estate sales were hit hard by the housing market crash, and she told the team that she could no longer afford her $5,300-a-year contract for two loge seats behind the end zone. Hill said she asked the Redskins to waive her contract for a year or two.

The sales office declined.

On Oct. 8, the Redskins sued Hill in Prince George's County Circuit Court for backing out of a 10-year ticket-renewal agreement after the first year. The team sought payment for every season through 2017, plus interest, attorneys' fees and court costs.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/09/02/AR2009090203887.html?hpid%3Dtopnews&sub=AR

No different than the Broncos. They sued my friend for breach of contract. He ended up paying $2000 to buy out of this years commitment and will owe $2000 each year for the next 2 seasons if he cannot afford to pay the $13k for his club seats.

$2K for nothing. What a deal.

BroncoBuff
09-03-2009, 12:48 PM
Sounds like the old Columbia Records and Tapes Club ... :~ohyah!:

TailgateNut
09-03-2009, 12:53 PM
Sounds like the old Columbia Records and Tapes Club ... :~ohyah!:

I played those guys like a fiddle.

You just had to pay attention, and it was a great deal.

Los Broncos
09-03-2009, 12:57 PM
That's crazy, I'm sorta happy I didn't have the money when they called for my season tickets.

I would of ended up owing big time.

Bronx33
09-03-2009, 12:57 PM
I played those guys like a fiddle.

You just had to pay attention, and it was a great deal.

I did too!! i just recorded everything and sent it back within the time period. LOL and also bought alot of stuff when it when on sale.

Beantown Bronco
09-03-2009, 01:06 PM
From the article:

Hill couldn't afford a lawyer. She did not fight the lawsuit or even respond to it

Sounds to me like she took Garcia's advice. :wiggle:

Killericon
09-03-2009, 01:40 PM
The NFL isn't insanely profitable because they run their business with hugs and handshakes.

Dendave
09-03-2009, 01:44 PM
you sign a contract you should agree to the terms of it

oh wait, it's the NFL contracts don't mean squat

Rohirrim
09-03-2009, 01:48 PM
you sign a contract you should agree to the terms of it

oh wait, it's the NFL contracts don't mean squat

I wonder if you could make that argument in court:

"Your honor, our WR refused to show up for camp thereby failing to honor his contract and the team didn't sue him. In fact, they just invited him in and offered him a new contract. Why can't I get a new deal? I've been a fan for forty years."

I wonder how a judge would rule on that?

Vegas_Bronco
09-03-2009, 02:01 PM
NFL vs. Disney....who would win that court case?

Beantown Bronco
09-03-2009, 02:33 PM
NFL vs. Disney....who would win that court case?

The lawyers.

Mountain Bronco
09-03-2009, 02:38 PM
The lawyers always win.

Tough **** though, you sign a contract, live with it. Just because it is with the big bad NFL doesn't mean you should be able to break it.

Bronco LB52
09-03-2009, 04:09 PM
The lawyers always win.

Tough **** though, you sign a contract, live with it. Just because it is with the big bad NFL doesn't mean you should be able to break it.

Going after a fan for a breach of contract is a short sided business practice though.

Why would a team stiff a fan for a few thousand bucks and sever the relationship completely? The alternative is so much better. Leave on good terms. When the fan gets back on their feet, they will continue to buy merchandise and purchase tickets over the next 30-40 years.

A fan's loyalty to the team is worth so much more than the lost value of a contract that has been breached.

Mountain Bronco
09-03-2009, 04:40 PM
I agree that it is bad business, but I am tired of people bitching about deals they make and then don't like them that is my only point.

broncocalijohn
09-03-2009, 04:42 PM
From the article:

Hill couldn't afford a lawyer. She did not fight the lawsuit or even respond to it

Sounds to me like she took Garcia's advice. :wiggle:

well, she stupidly went to jury duty!

spdirty
09-03-2009, 04:45 PM
How much of that contract was guarunteed? She shouldve only had to pay that once she decided to release the Redskins.

Tombstone RJ
09-03-2009, 04:49 PM
Let me get this straight. Moderately wealthy person (perhaps upper middle class) hits financial hard times, wants to back out of contract because, well, she can't pony up the five grand to sit on her azz in a stadium and drink pena colladas.

Yah, right. Why wouldn't you sue the dumbschit?