PDA

View Full Version : Who Should we Draft at QB

KYChamp24
09-03-2009, 09:49 AM
This season is going down in a hurry. Ortan and Simms are not long term options. With a top 10 pick I'd like to move up to get McCoy. Maybe Sneed or Bradford will drop to us.

Most of the teams ahead of us will already be soild at QB. Rams, 49ers and Redskins are the only ones I can think of in need of a QB.
KC, Cle, Oak, Cin, Det, and TB are good at QB.

TheDave
09-03-2009, 09:51 AM
This season is going down in a hurry. Ortan and Simms are not long term options. With a top 10 pick I'd like to move up to get McCoy. Maybe Sneed or Bradford will drop to us.

Most of the teams ahead of us will already be soild at QB. Rams, 49ers and Redskins are the only ones I can think of in need of a QB.
KC, Cle, Oak, Cin, Det, and TB are good.

We already traded our "Top 10 pick"

Welcome to my hell... ;D

Archer81
09-03-2009, 09:52 AM
Tim Tebow!

Kidding. I cant think that far ahead.

:Broncos:

KYChamp24
09-03-2009, 09:53 AM
Tim Tebow!

I normally don't but this year I think I am forced too.

Gcver2ver3
09-03-2009, 09:53 AM
can we play at least 1 lousy game before starting these threads?...

Doggcow
09-03-2009, 09:54 AM
NOONE!

You heard me.

STILL ON THE BRANDWAGON FOR BRANDSTARTER!

KYChamp24
09-03-2009, 09:55 AM
can we play at least 1 lousy game before starting these threads?...

I've seen enough.

ghwk
09-03-2009, 09:56 AM
I heard some guy named Cutler looks good...

lex
09-03-2009, 09:56 AM
If Denver is in the position where theyre looking to draft a QB in the first, that means McDaniels needs to be fired. We just got rid of a franchise QB relying on Josh's acumen to save the day. If thats not happening to the point they realize they need a talent at QB, they need to rebuild with someone else because drafting that QB in the first also means that youre looking at not winning for another 3 years. Thats just not acceptable, especially after this offseason. To wit, trading next years first, is a win now move. If they dont win soon, that means the acumen relied on and the questionable trading of that pick isnt working.

Br0nc0Buster
09-03-2009, 09:57 AM

We wont need to "move up" to get McCoy

KYChamp24
09-03-2009, 09:59 AM
We wont need to "move up" to get McCoy

He's likely the 1st QB off the board. I can't see him making it past STL, SF or Was: who will likely pick ahead of us.

TheDave
09-03-2009, 10:01 AM
He's likely the 1st QB off the board. I can't see him making it past STL, SF or Was: who will likely pick ahead of us.

Not sure if you have picked up on this, but Chicago will probably make the playoffs...

That makes their pick somewhere between 20-25...

... meaning almost everyone picks ahead of us.

lex
09-03-2009, 10:04 AM
Not sure if you have picked up on this, but Chicago will probably make the playoffs...

That makes their pick somewhere between 20-25...

... meaning almost everyone picks ahead of us.

We're so lucky that Minnesota and Green Bay also look strong this year. It hasnt always been like that recently in the NFC North. Now, suddenly, its like an arms race in the NFC North.

TheDave
09-03-2009, 10:06 AM
We're so lucky that Minnesota and Green Bay also look strong this year. It hasnt always been like that recently in the NFC North. Now, suddenly, its like an arms race in the NFC North.

I'm not buying Minnesota, but GB is going to give the bears problems...

I'm still seeing 10-6 and a playoff spot.

But I do agree that division got stronger.

Beantown Bronco
09-03-2009, 10:07 AM

You'll find the answers you're looking for here:

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=83679

Jekyll15Hyde
09-03-2009, 10:08 AM

Why does this forum need to be reminded of this every day? Our pick that we actually own is the Bears pick. If the Bears do good, we get a late pick. If they do poorly, we get a high pick.

Our original 2010 1st round (aka Top 10) pick = Alphonso Smith

ColoradoDarin
09-03-2009, 10:09 AM
This season is going down in a hurry.

This season hasn't even started yet, can't go down until you actually play a game.

Also, you could spell our starting QB's name right.

Br0nc0Buster
09-03-2009, 10:10 AM

Let me guess, you prolly think Tebow will be a good qb to

McCoy will be lucky to be a 1st rounder, now way he goes over guys like Snead and Bradford

TheDave
09-03-2009, 10:12 AM

McCoy will be lucky to be a 1st rounder, now way he goes over guys like Snead and Bradford

FWIW...Gil Brandt thinks both Tebow and McCoy are top 10 picks.

~Crash~
09-03-2009, 10:14 AM
Tim Tebow!

lets hope we are that lucky

~Crash~
09-03-2009, 10:23 AM

I Like both and the broncos would be lucky to have one of them . my problem would be this is bonanza year at DT ! I am going to blow a gasket if we leave this draft with out a monster DT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gcver2ver3
09-03-2009, 10:24 AM
I've seen enough.

3 halves of preseason is enough?...

orangemonkey
09-03-2009, 10:24 AM

I see a lot of McCoy. I'm not convinced he's big enough to be a solid NFL starter

Archer81
09-03-2009, 10:27 AM
I see a lot of McCoy. I'm not convinced he's big enough to be a solid NFL starter

Brees, Drew.

Jones-Drew, Maurice.

Gregg, Kelly.

Always exceptions to every rule.

Br0nc0Buster
09-03-2009, 10:29 AM
Brees, Drew.

Jones-Drew, Maurice.

Gregg, Kelly.

Always exceptions to every rule.

yes, but spending high draft picks for exceptions usually isnt a good idea

underrated29
09-03-2009, 10:31 AM
If Denver is in the position where theyre looking to draft a QB in the first, that means McDaniels needs to be fired. We just got rid of a franchise QB relying on Josh's acumen to save the day. If thats not happening to the point they realize they need a talent at QB, they need to rebuild with someone else because drafting that QB in the first also means that youre looking at not winning for another 3 years. Thats just not acceptable, especially after this offseason. To wit, trading next years first, is a win now move. If they dont win soon, that means the acumen relied on and the questionable trading of that pick isnt working.

Exactly!!!!!!!

All we needed was a defense. We still need a defense. And drafting a Qb next year will once again ignore the defense.

So essentialy Mcd set us back 1 whole year,

and on top of that set us up for a bust pick,

and on top of that set us back another year for drafting defense,

on top of that the QB and rook defense needs exp.

Rarely do rooks at QB and DT/DE come on right away and light it up, so that means we are set back further.

If that is the case as to what happens:

IN JOSH WE FAIL!

Archer81

True. But if they end up producing for you, then the pick was a good one. In hindsight do you think Brees would be a second round pick now?

~Crash~

high draft pick ? and who will have that ?LOL

Br0nc0Buster

Gil usually knows his stuff, that is just bizarre though

I have no idea what would posses a team to spend a 1st round pick on either of those guys

Requiem
Draft Tim Hiller.

Br0nc0Buster
09-03-2009, 10:32 AM
high draft pick ? and who will have that ?LOL

I wasnt talking about the Broncos specifically, just in general terms

Archer81
09-03-2009, 10:32 AM
Exactly!!!!!!!

All we needed was a defense. We still need a defense. And drafting a Qb next year will once again ignore the defense.

Rarely do rooks at QB and DT/DE come on right away and light it up, so that means we are set back further.

IN JOSH WE FAIL!

Geeze...chill out.

SonOfLe-loLang
09-03-2009, 10:37 AM

And if the broncos defense looks plenty good and if everything surrounding the QB is playing well? You just have a hard on for firing the guy, get the **** over it and let him coach a game.

SonOfLe-loLang
09-03-2009, 10:37 AM
Exactly!!!!!!!

IN JOSH WE FAIL!

Check out our last three seasons. FAIL

SoonerBronco
09-03-2009, 10:39 AM
Sam Bradford...would fit nicley in this system...I'm just sayin

TonyR
09-03-2009, 10:41 AM
25. Denver Broncos: Colt McCoy, QB, Texas
Colt McCoy shouldn't be a first-round pick, but something tells me that Josh McDaniels is going to envision him as "his guy." After all, McDaniels' flawless offensive system requires quarterbacks to make really short passes and play out of the shotgun.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2010.php

~Crash~
09-03-2009, 10:43 AM
this next draft will have more DT's go in the first then ever before and were talking a deep draft of NT'S !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I want 2 NT's high picks.

underrated29
09-03-2009, 10:43 AM

Dont tell me thats not the truth. That would be what happened.

I am not saying we havent blown ass the last three years, nor is this year any different.

But all we needed was a defense. We had our O in place and well oiled. To ignore the defense again for a qb when we already had one in place. IS a total FAIL.

And then i would blam Mcd. and call him a fail.

So far i have backed most of his moves (cept trading jay). And i dont think he would have us waste a high pick on a qb next year. IF we do that is where i would draw the line as it would set us back so far.

We have capable QBs. not great, but capable. Chad pennington like. That with our solid run game and ol means that we can ignore that side of the ball for a moment until we can shore up the pass rush and rush D. Once we have those- ball out for a better QB.

not visa versa.

TonyR
09-03-2009, 10:46 AM
19. QB Colt McCoy, Texas From Bears: With Cutler gone the Broncos might be looking for a new QB.

http://www.nfldraftdog.com/Mock-Drafts/2010-Mock-Draft-Page-2.html

Br0nc0Buster
09-03-2009, 10:49 AM
True. But if they end up producing for you, then the pick was a good one. In hindsight do you think Brees would be a second round pick now?

Drew is good, but there is still a reason guys like Colt Brennan and Graham Harell and Drew Brees dont get drafted high

It is much more rare for someone like that to be elite than someone like Matt Stafford who has a size and arm strength advantage over them

TonyR
21. Denver Broncos (via Bears)
Sean Weatherspoon, LB, Missouri

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/andrew_perloff/04/28/2010/index.html

This guy doesn't have McCoy in the first round.

TheDave
25. Denver Broncos: Colt McCoy, QB, Texas
Colt McCoy shouldn't be a first-round pick, but something tells me that Josh McDaniels is going to envision him as "his guy." After all, McDaniels' flawless offensive system requires quarterbacks to make really short passes and play out of the shotgun.
http://walterfootball.com/draft2010.php
This is the overview of him from the same site...
Strengths:
Very athletic
Mobile
Experienced
Short and deep range accuracy
Quick release
Gets rid of football quickly
Makes quick decisions
Good pocket awareness
Crafty with football in hands
Leader with good character

Weaknesses:
Average frame
Offensive system exaggerate strengths, masks weaknesses
Mobility doesn't translate to NFL with zone reads and scripted runs
Weak arm
Aims ball and it doesn't look natural; passive thrower
Absolutely no stick throws (18-yard deep out, curl, dig, etc.)
Footwork needs a ton of work
Doesn't take many hits
Never operated under center
Stares down receivers
Floats deep ball
Limited upside
Summary: Colt McCoy is the next overhyped collegiate quarterback who really doesn't have much of a chance in the NFL. He is a late-round talent, and don't let ESPN fool you. His talent is pretty mediocre when you consider the things he will have to do in the NFL in terms of the transition to a more West Coast or pro-style spread scheme. He won't stretch a defense in the NFL and the system makes him look far better than he is at Texas.
McCoy is a great college quarterback, but simply isn't an NFL mold. He's a projected fifth-to-seventh-round prospect. McCoy might develop into a solid backup quarterback at the next level, but he is simply not the prospect ESPN wants you to think he is.
Player Comparison: Alex Smith. The size, athleticism, overrated mobility, college system and lack of arm strength are all valid comparisons between these two quarterbacks.

USMCBladerunner
09-03-2009, 10:52 AM

I agree with the reasoning in your post, but I'm not sure that McDaniels will need to be fired if they look to draft a QB in the first. He could be, but in the end I really believe that both Josh and Pat know that Jay is in Chicago because of the Denver's owner, not the coach. Picking up Alphonso Smith was definitely an all-in move, but I doubt that McDaniels is totally precluded from addressing QB, particularly if Orton flops.

lex
09-03-2009, 10:55 AM
I'm not buying Minnesota, but GB is going to give the bears problems...

I'm still seeing 10-6 and a playoff spot.

Im buying Minnesota. I actually like them more than GB. Right now, Id rank them: 1) Minn; 2) GB; 3) Chic. I think Chicago's defense has showed some wear and tear. Theyve really struggled against Minnesota's running game. And their DBs have kind of fallen off a little bit as well.

lex
09-03-2009, 10:59 AM

Not at all, when you look at the kind of roster turnover that has taken place, .500 isnt bad at all.

TonyR
09-03-2009, 11:01 AM
Im buying Minnesota.

Agree. Good defense and best RB in the league behind a good OL. They'll be in every game they play. If Favre can be better than Tavaris Jackson was last year they'll be very good.

FantomForce
09-03-2009, 11:04 AM
The steal of next years draft at QB http://jakelocker.com/blog/ check him out he's going to be a good one

lex
09-03-2009, 11:05 AM
Agree. Good defense and best RB in the league behind a good OL. They'll be in every game they play. If Favre can be better than Tavaris Jackson was last year they'll be very good.

Yeah, its set up very nicely for Minnesota. They have a really good defense against the run and their CBs arent garbage either. They have an awesome running game. They have a great OLine, a great RB, and now a QB that can punish the defense enough to keep them honest. Plus they have a nice playmaker in Percy Harvin.

They have a lot of nice complimentary pieces that should keep the defense from focusing on one aspect of the game. If they load up on Peterson, they become succeptible to Harving and Favre.

I really dont like Favre but in this capacity, he is set up nicely to be successful.

Pony Boy
09-03-2009, 11:17 AM
How many franchise QB's does teams like Texas and Oklahoma put in the NFL ?
Not what I would call QB factories ..........
Chris Simms, Vince Young, Josh Heupel, Jason White ...........

BroncoMan4ever
09-03-2009, 11:24 AM

Welcome to my hell... ;D

CHicago will have a higher pick than we would have.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
09-03-2009, 11:42 AM
So if we do it lex's way, we'll rid ourselves of all these people because a new coach with a new scheme and new ideas comes in, then we'll fire HIM and bring in ANOTHER new coach and another new scheme and start all over again?

Sounds awesome! Where do we sign?

lex
09-03-2009, 11:49 AM
So if we do it lex's way, we'll rid ourselves of all these people because a new coach with a new scheme and new ideas comes in, then we'll fire HIM and bring in ANOTHER new coach and another new scheme and start all over again?

Sounds awesome! Where do we sign?

New scheme was a choice that he made. He could have learned Denvers scheme and maintained continuity. When Mike Tomlin became coach of the Steelers, he was smart enough to leave it alone even though Tomlin was a competent defensive coach and a proponent of the 4-3. And apparently by new ideas, you mean trash the future in such a way that it insures your own job security.

No, Josh's cache was sparing us from investing in a 1st round type QB. He just chased off a talented QB for ones that will make him look smart. He needs to live up to that now.

bendog
09-03-2009, 11:56 AM
You guys really think Favre won't eventually cause a lockerroom meltdown by Dec?

Not that the vikes had much of an option. And I agree, that GB looks like the best team in the division.

ChSuperStar
09-03-2009, 12:19 PM

ha ha ha... but broncos always do that... dont they.

@ the thread starter... how much do you follow nfl. if u did not realize that we have the bears pick, which will be at the best around 17-18 and at the worse.. 25-26

bendog
09-03-2009, 12:22 PM
ha ha ha... but broncos always do that... dont they.

@ the thread starter... how much do you follow nfl. if u did not realize that we have the bears pick, which will be at the best around 17-18 and at the worse.. 25-26

Yeah, yeah ..... but there's ALWAYS 2010! Assuming there's a draft that year.