PDA

View Full Version : It seems people don't understand that Marshall is a RFA after the season

Garcia Bronco
09-03-2009, 07:30 AM
I could be wrong, but because the CBA expires, any player under 6 years of service becomes a RFA and teams get 3 franchise tags.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80864e15&template=with-video&confirm=true

TheDave
09-03-2009, 07:32 AM
I'm pretty sure this is common knowedge.

Gcver2ver3
09-03-2009, 07:33 AM
i wish somebody would also explain to Jamie Dukes that it's not "as simple as that" to put protective conduct clauses into a new contract for Brandon Marshall under the current CBA...

Dukes
09-03-2009, 07:33 AM
I have a hard time believing any team would even use 3 franchise tags in one offseason

Garcia Bronco
09-03-2009, 07:34 AM
I'm pretty sure this is common knowedge.

You'd think. But I talk to people living here in Denver and they think he's gone after the season.

meangene
09-03-2009, 07:37 AM
i wish somebody would also explain to Jamie Dukes that it's not "as simple as that" to put protective conduct clauses into a new contract for Brandon Marshall under the current CBA...

I know! I just want to reach through the screen and slap him sometimes. Just sign Marshall and put in the protective clauses - simple as that. Someone should be checking behind him after every show so he can correct his multitude of mistakes and inaccuracies!

Hotrod
09-03-2009, 07:39 AM
You'd think. But I talk to people living here in Denver and they think he's gone after the season.

I thought everyone knew this. They can tender him for a 1st and 3rd next year and then match any offer that they get or let him go and take the pics. Then they could tag him the next year.

The problem is how much are you going to pay him if he continues to be an ass???

gyldenlove
09-03-2009, 07:40 AM
He is only RFA as long as the CBA isn't extended. I wouldn't be entirely surprised to see negotiations and meetings really heat up in October as more and more people realize just how bad an uncapped year would be. I think the only prudent thing to do is to work under the assumption that he will be a UFA next year and prepare for that situation.

Garcia Bronco
09-03-2009, 07:43 AM
He is only RFA as long as the CBA isn't extended. I wouldn't be entirely surprised to see negotiations and meetings really heat up in October as more and more people realize just how bad an uncapped year would be. I think the only prudent thing to do is to work under the assumption that he will be a UFA next year and prepare for that situation.

Well they already agreed to let the current expire. Hard to say

eddie mac
09-03-2009, 07:49 AM

He could be gone before that.:D

Garcia Bronco
09-03-2009, 07:54 AM
He could be gone before that.:D

:)

SoDak Bronco
09-03-2009, 08:00 AM
here is probably what will happen unless he is traded in the next week. Marshall will come out, play all year, do his thing, then we will trade him in the off-season for a 1 and a 3rd or something along those lines. Unless we get a draft pick plus a player that can contribute, no sense in moving him this season.

Popcorn Sutton
09-03-2009, 08:08 AM
I know! I just want to reach through the screen and slap him sometimes. Just sign Marshall and put in the protective clauses - simple as that. Someone should be checking behind him after every show so he can correct his multitude of mistakes and inaccuracies!

I sent him a "tweet" with a link to the Denver Post article a few weeks back. He still hasn't got the memo.

Garcia Bronco
09-03-2009, 08:12 AM
I thought everyone knew this. They can tender him for a 1st and 3rd next year and then match any offer that they get or let him go and take the pics. Then they could tag him the next year.

The problem is how much are you going to pay him if he continues to be an ass???

Exactly. The team may not have his heart and mind, but they certainly have him by the balls.

Gcver2ver3
09-03-2009, 08:13 AM
I sent him a "tweet" with a link to the Denver Post article a few weeks back. He still hasn't got the memo.

he's clueless...he just sees wat he wants to see...

he's so pro player i can barely stand watching him...clouds his judgement too much...

same with rod woodson...

where is charley casserly?...i'd much prefer to him from him...at least even it out...you can't have all ex players as your color analysis...even it out...one explayer and one ex FO...

bloodsunday
09-03-2009, 08:14 AM

Yes that is exactly what made me start the thread The Real Issue with Brandon Marshall (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=83826)

Dukes is flat out wrong about that. Denver is not concerned with him being an ass in practice, they can go back on him for that. They are concerned about him winding up in a squad car... again.

SonOfLe-loLang
09-03-2009, 08:15 AM

As passionate as a lot of broncos fans are, i find the fan base to be poorly knowledged in general. Growing up in NYC, and being immersed with a smarter fan base, i sometimes shake my head at some of the questions that end up in the denver post mailbag.

cutthemdown
09-03-2009, 08:44 AM

He really made himself look ignorant. I saw the same show. People act like Brandon has even said what he wants, he hasn't.

What he wants is negotiations that end up with him being a top 5 paid wr. People seem to think he would be happy with just some sort of new contract when if reality he wants a boatload of money.

Br0nc0Buster
09-03-2009, 08:52 AM
here is probably what will happen unless he is traded in the next week. Marshall will come out, play all year, do his thing, then we will trade him in the off-season for a 1 and a 3rd or something along those lines. Unless we get a draft pick plus a player that can contribute, no sense in moving him this season.

Schefter made a comment implying that Denver may not be interested in draft picks for Marshall, that is to say that Bowlen may not want to pay 2 first rounders back to back years

bloodsunday
09-03-2009, 08:59 AM
Schefter made a comment implying that Denver may not be interested in draft picks for Marshall, that is to say that Bowlen may not want to pay 2 first rounders back to back years

That also means that Denver knows they need players to help them NOW. Stock piling picks is for teams that are "rebuilding". And while I'm well aware that the current fan base doesn't buy it, the team has yet to acknowledge this is a rebuilding situation.

lex
09-03-2009, 09:02 AM

But Im guessing you also want to pinch his cheeks. You know, rotate: pinch his cheeks, slap him, pinch his cheeks, slap him and so on...kind of like how you drink liquor.

GoBroncos DownUnder
09-03-2009, 09:13 AM
If you pay attention you can read Dukes like a book, when he raises his eyebrows, talks softly and/or puts his hands together - he's "out of his depth" and is guessing about whatever he's saying.

Otherwise - Q: How can you tell when Jamie Dukes is talking total and utter ****?? A: When his lips move.8')

TOTALLY agree with the person who liked Charlie Casserly! I'd like to see a LOT more of him on ESPN, mostly to balance up conversations, against the atrocious sea of uneducated, washed up former players.:wiggle:

Gcver2ver3
09-03-2009, 09:22 AM
TOTALLY agree with the person who liked Charlie Casserly! I'd like to see a LOT more of him on ESPN, mostly to balance up conversations, against the atrocious sea of uneducated, washed up former players.:wiggle:

that was me as well...

they need to keep him around...not sure where he went...

Br0nc0Buster
09-03-2009, 09:26 AM
that was me as well...

They need to keep him around...not sure where he went...

cbs

Gcver2ver3
09-03-2009, 09:30 AM
cbs

that explains it then...

thnx...

Hercules Rockefeller
09-03-2009, 09:36 AM

Every single team has relied upon the fact that it will take 6 years of service to become a UFA because the owners opted out of the CBA. They're not going to turn around and negotiate that back in October, giving teams just a few months to negotiate with players whose rights the teams thought they would still control this offseason.

Kuper would have a long-term deal by now if Denver thought he would be a UFA this offseason.

Marshall would probably be traded at this point too.

Don't forget that guys with 5 years of service (i.e. 2005 1st round picks) would also still be RFAs.

So: Ronnie Brown (does have an option year in '10 though), Braylon, Carlos Rogers, Demarcus Ware, Merriman, and Jamaal Brown, just to name a couple are all UFAs next offseason. You can't tell me extensions for almost all of those guys wouldn't have been done this summer if their teams weren't relying on the fact they'd be RFAs this upcoming offseason.

bloodsunday
09-03-2009, 09:45 AM
They're not going to turn around and negotiate that back in October, giving teams just a few months to negotiate with players whose rights the teams thought they would still control this offseason.

yeah and unfortunately this CBA has the smell of a lock out. The players union just hired a new hot shot. If this thing gets done in time, it will likely be at the 11th hour.

Hotrod
09-03-2009, 10:13 AM

You dont have to use both 2nds. You can always use one or both of them to move around Draft day and stock pile picks at a better value.

BroncoMan4ever
09-03-2009, 10:19 AM
I have a hard time believing any team would even use 3 franchise tags in one offseason

i can think of 2 teams dumb and arrogant enough to pull that trigger. Oakland and Dallas.

Mr. Elway
09-03-2009, 10:21 AM
You dont have to use both 2nds. You can always use one or both of them to move around Draft day and stock pile picks at a better value.

too complex for McD. He wants exactly five picks and a draft board with 100 options, to make things go nice and smoothly on draft day. ;D

meangene
09-03-2009, 10:24 AM

Obviously not because he went into the same rant last night. I had to shut Total Access off! He wouldn't even discuss any of the other points regarding Marshall since you could cover all that in the contract.

lex
09-03-2009, 10:44 AM
I like Dukes but sometimes he just doesnt really know what he's saying. For example, I can remember when Dallas had two first round picks but they were in the 20s and their points didnt come close to the top 5. Dukes went on and on for several weeks about how Jones could use those picks to trade up even though they really didnt equate to top 5. I think he was talking about Jones getting McFadden.

Popcorn Sutton
09-03-2009, 10:50 AM
Obviously not because he went into the same rant last night. I had to shut Total Access off! He wouldn't even discuss any of the other points regarding Marshall since you could cover all that in the contract.

I sent him another one as well as Rich Eisen, Steve Wyche and Michael Lombardi in hopes that one of them would tell him he's wrong.

footstepsfrom#27
09-03-2009, 11:35 AM
So assuming we can keep him here against his will, why would we want to? That's not exactly working well right now is it?

bendog
09-03-2009, 11:46 AM
Imo it's face. the team would actually be better just trading him straight up for the linebacker. But having let Cutler punk them ....

meangene
09-03-2009, 12:10 PM
I sent him another one as well as Rich Eisen, Steve Wyche and Michael Lombardi in hopes that one of them would tell him he's wrong.

Hopefully on air! I would love to see that!

Hotrod
09-03-2009, 12:30 PM
Imo it's face. the team would actually be better just trading him straight up for the linebacker. But having let Cutler punk them ....

Thats the catch and I doubt Bowlen will be willing to sign a paycheck for a guy who is deactive on games days.

Also it creates a 52 man team.

Lets hope Rod Smith can get the kid headed in the right direction. If not let the tug of war continue.

Garcia Bronco
09-03-2009, 01:29 PM
I think a lock out would actually benefit the fans. I think it would actually reduce the cost of being a fan and going to the games.

Popcorn Sutton
09-03-2009, 01:30 PM
LOL, so much for Dukes getting my TWEETS. :-)

http://i323.photobucket.com/albums/nn472/rgault00/Dukes.png

Garcia Bronco
09-03-2009, 01:35 PM
He almost said that it's society's fault. Almost.

Popcorn Sutton
09-03-2009, 01:37 PM
How many times is he going to say just "put language in a contract to handle it"?

UberBroncoMan
09-03-2009, 01:42 PM

Marshall, Kuper, Dumervil

Garcia Bronco
09-03-2009, 02:03 PM
Marshall, Kuper, Dumervil

All those guys will be RFA