watermock
09-03-2009, 05:15 AM
Paige: And thus it will be ... Broncos 4-12
By Woody Paige
The Denver Post
Posted: 09/03/2009 01:00:00 AM MDT
Updated: 09/03/2009 01:38:27 AM MDT

4-12.

According to Acts, chapter 4, verse 12 in the Bible, "Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved."

But it could take various Old Testament-type acts of God for the Broncos to win four games.

The Broncos should beat Cleveland, Oakland and Kansas City in The Big IF@Mile High. "IF" is right.

I keep searching for the fourth victory. It's not easy.

When Josh McDaniels and I met privately for a couple of hours before the start of training camp, he opened with: "I've been told you picked us to win five games."

"Six," I corrected him. "But that was a preliminary prediction. I won't make my final final until after the Chicago Bears game."

I've seen enough. Tonight's game doesn't matter.

McDaniels said he's never been part of a losing football team since he began playing football in the seventh grade.

There's always a first time, Josh.

The Broncos, who open their 50th season on Sept. 13, have never lost 12 games in one.

There's always a first time, Denver.

This is a very average football team with a very difficult schedule.

Wait 'til next year.

People around this Dusty Old Cowtown, usually so optimistic, haven't been this pessimistic since . . . well . . . since 1961 when the Broncos were coming off their inaugural-season 4-9-1 record and still had Frank Filchock as coach and Frank Tripucka as quarterback, and, frankly, the team was no good. The Broncos finished 3-11.

And guess what. The Broncos will wear their repugnant 1961 uniforms on Oct. 11 at home against New England. In the French's Yellow Mustard jerseys with the Milk Dud brown pants and the vertically striped socks, the '61 team was a national laughingstock. Guess what Denver looks like this year after the coaching, quarterback, wide receiver BroncoFiasco.

After three dreadful exhibitions, nobody, other than Josh from New England, Lou from Littleton and Mike Klis from The Post believes the Broncos will compile a record above .500. They could be eliminated from the playoffs before the Thanksgiving night game.

The early Las Vegas betting line favored the Broncos over the Bengals by three points. Now the Bengals are three-point favorites.

The Broncos likely will be underdogs in 13 games.

The Broncos will not win a road game.

Oh, but what about in Kansas City, say you? The Broncos are 2-14 (one victory was in the playoffs, and the other was in overtime) in December or later games in K.C. The Broncos play in Kansas City this season on Dec. 6.

You really believe the Broncos will win in San Diego (does 52-21 sound familiar?), Indianapolis (how about 38-20, 49-24 and 41-10 in past three visits?) or Baltimore and Philadelphia (returning playoff teams that will be improved)? I suppose Cincinnati, Oakland and Washington are possible, but the Bengals, the Raiders and D.C. have vertebrae this season.

So, what about the Broncos' own home-field advantage? They are 13-11 here in the past three seasons. Kyle Orton said the other day that the Broncos have to go 7-1 or 8-0 at home to become a prosperous team. The Broncos have won six or fewer games at home in seven of the eight seasons since moving from old Mile High Stadium. It's not the same without the South Standers and with the club levelers who are not revelers.

And the Broncos will have no bargains when the Cowboys, the Patriots, the Steelers, the Chargers and the Giants come to town. All five will be in the playoffs.

The locals don't have a death March. But they do have a bucket-kicking September-October-November-December.

The only seemingly sure things from Sept. 27 to Jan. 2 are the bye week and the Raiders in Denver (and the Raiders won here last year).

The Broncos may win just one or two games during that tour of torment.

The defense will be better, but it can't be any worse. But there have been no takeaways in three exhibitions, and there have been many giveaways. The defensive line remains suspect, and the backups are suspicious. That 2007 trio of Jarvis Moss, Tim Crowder and Marcus Thomas may not contribute a whit (although Mike Shana-han's classes of '06 and '08 have produced 11 contributors, including Brandon Marshall, Jay Cutler and Domenik Hixon, and McDaniels could keep nine players the Broncos drafted this year).

The special teams may be slightly better.

The offense could be slightly better if Knowshon Moreno is sound, but the star wide receiver is sulking and suspended, and the two quarterbacks are unhealthy and uncertain, and McDaniels was trying (unsuccessfully) to get another ex-Pats QB, and the Broncos still can't score touchdowns inside the 20.

By the time the McDaniels Method comes together, the Broncos will be done.

The Broncos will beat the Giants on Thanksgiving for their other victory.

That Jan. 3 game between the Broncos and the Chiefs will be completely meaningless, like that 1961 home finale between the Patriots and the Broncos in the funny brown-and-yellow outfits.

Unless there is divine intervention . . .

4-12.

Woody Paige: 303-954-1095 or wpaige@denverpost.com

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_13257643

scorpio
09-03-2009, 05:25 AM
Woody's really been mailing it in lately

broncofan7
09-03-2009, 05:26 AM
3-13. We do NOT upset the G-men.

Meck77
09-03-2009, 05:27 AM
The perfect article to hang in the locker room for the season.

Garcia Bronco
09-03-2009, 05:34 AM
Put me down for 8 wins.

_Oro_
09-03-2009, 05:36 AM
http://www.google.com/images?q=tbn:VGtzficcoXygdM::www.wsbufm.net/files_uploaded/Image/Vince_Lombardi_Trophy.jpg&h=94&w=48&usg=__C9_N4VCmE5yydoKNalY3iSRWJME=

WolfpackGuy
09-03-2009, 05:56 AM
Paige is WAY off.
I say 5 wins.

BroncoSojia
09-03-2009, 05:58 AM
I have us winning only 3

Baba Booey
09-03-2009, 06:05 AM
God damn does Woody love the smell of his own **** or what?

baja
09-03-2009, 06:06 AM
This year my prediction is "I don't have one"

Hogan11
09-03-2009, 06:07 AM
Well, his usual 16-0 predictions always panned out so well........

TheDave
09-03-2009, 06:07 AM
Woody's just a bad fan...

I have been saying 6-10 since the draft. After watching 3 preseason games I'm not so optimistic.

4-12 seems very likely right now.

Archie
09-03-2009, 06:08 AM
My pre-season pick was 5-11.... Now I feel that is very optimistic. Tough year. It will be much tougher if Cutler is successful in Chicago. I expect that, so I'm expecting it to be really tough to swallow. :(

RhymesayersDU
09-03-2009, 06:22 AM
When Woody's right, he's right.

Anybody who says differently (and you're out there, I know it) are just fooling themselves.

Schedule is beyond brutal. But hopefully we make some strides for the future.

Popcorn Sutton
09-03-2009, 06:30 AM
5-11 or lower is likely but I'm pulling for an upset or two during the season to bump it to 6-10.

Rulon Velvet Jones
09-03-2009, 06:49 AM
when woody's right, he's right.

16-0.

cmhargrove
09-03-2009, 06:54 AM
Go ahead, call me a fool. I'm still sticking with 9-7.

I'll take Orton the game manager, as long as Moreno and Hillis stay healthy.
Hopefully, we can salvage Marshall this season. I think Stokely could have a 900 yard year.

I love what Dawkins brings - if he can stay healthy. I hope he "calls out" the defense, and has them ready by Cincy.

I think we have had some consistency problems, which has led to penalties, which has killed offensive drives. We will move the ball, and score, much easier if Dennison can get our backups up to speed.

9-7 if we are healthy. A couple major injuries could easily drop us to 5-11.

uplink
09-03-2009, 07:00 AM
a tough schedule is not necessarily a bad thing. They play good teams with a chance to learn/improve and group guys in the locker room in the mission against a highly rated team. The tough schedule will be a positive thing and they will upset some good teams this year IMO.

El Guapo
09-03-2009, 07:01 AM
Can we just skip the embarrassment and just forfeit the season?

In all seriousness, I think we'll be ok. I'm hoping McD is just holding his cards close until the season begins.

Rulon Velvet Jones
09-03-2009, 07:08 AM
a tough schedule is not necessarily a bad thing. They play good teams with a chance to learn/improve and group guys in the locker room in the mission against a highly rated team. The tough schedule will be a positive thing and they will upset some good teams this year IMO.

Other teams in the division have difficult schedules and you can't discount a few wins in the division itself. We're also assuming every team on that schedule stays healthy. That usually doesn't happen. I say Denver beats Dallas for one of the wins.

El Guapo
09-03-2009, 07:19 AM
I say Denver beats Dallas for one of the wins.

I sure hope so! Especially because that game is me and the fiance's honeymoon. :yayaya:

worm
09-03-2009, 07:20 AM
I still think this team can win 7.

lex
09-03-2009, 07:25 AM
I expect them to win 10 games.

Los Broncos
09-03-2009, 07:26 AM
I see 6 wins.

loborugger
09-03-2009, 08:22 AM
Man, Woody is manic. Its all SBs and Lombardis at this time of year usually for him. He never calls, "well, they are a solid 8&8." Its boom or bust. Having said that, however, I agree it will be a long painful season.

DenverBroncosJM
09-03-2009, 08:33 AM
I think we win 10 games.

It will be on the shoulders of Hillis and Moreno.

bendog
09-03-2009, 11:18 AM
I know for a fact that we fans endured a two win season ... I was there. I don't think we'll equal that but we may equal the 12 losses, which was the franchise record set that year.

I'm having violent thoughts about young McDaniels.

ChSuperStar
09-03-2009, 11:35 AM
3-13 is my expectation. High end is 6-10, if we win more than that.. i will be in a shock and consider it close to playoff season for this team. But no matter how many we win, i will be a bronco and only a bronco.

Bronx33
09-03-2009, 11:39 AM
The perfect article to hang in the locker room for the season.

I agree and i will also say predictions are like assholes everybody has one.

footstepsfrom#27
09-03-2009, 11:43 AM
4-12 seems about right, especially given a murderous schedule. If it turns out Moreno is the second coming of Emmit Smith that would change the equation but right now it's hard to see more than 5-11. To many new players, rookies, unproven vets and with the QB spot unsettled it would take a coach of the year performance from McD to get to even 8-8 I think.

Bronco Yoda
09-03-2009, 11:46 AM
I choose to live in denial this season. One game at a time. Don't anyone touch my Orange shades...

Bronx33
09-03-2009, 11:51 AM
I choose to live in denial this season. One game at a time. Don't anyone touch my Orange shades...

So what your saying is your not going to cry and b**** all season and draw pictures of jay cutler on your peechee and mist up everytime shanahans name is ever mentioned and blame josh for west nile and swine flu and that extra 10 pounds you gained? and and and simply be a fan and roll with the punches since you can't do a damn thing about anything anyways? you sir just earned some rep.

cmhargrove
09-03-2009, 08:38 PM
Anyone want to revisit their predictions after the AZ game?

TheDave
09-03-2009, 08:39 PM
Anyone want to revisit their predictions after the AZ game?

No

baja
09-03-2009, 08:40 PM
I said 10 I'll stick with it

Spider
09-03-2009, 08:41 PM
10-6........... screw those that dont like it

oubronco
09-03-2009, 08:45 PM
Throat punch them bitches

mhgaffney
09-03-2009, 09:15 PM
I think Denver gets better as the season wears on...

Taco John
09-03-2009, 09:16 PM
I can totally understand all the pessimism. But the AFC West is a reason for optimism. This division is terrible.

lazarus4444
09-03-2009, 09:53 PM
wow, even if we go 6-10 it can't be as painful as last season where the broncos gave up on multiple occassions and choked down the stretch (thank u emo boy). I honestly won't care what the record is as long as we are prepared for games and don't quit. If that happens it's already better than last year. And what is woody smoking? Special teams a little bit better? At least mcdaniels has special teams in his vocabulary, unlike shanahan. Shanahans last few years were pretty pathetic and i'm glad he's gone.

I'm predicting 10-6.

Broncobiv
09-03-2009, 09:59 PM
I can totally understand all the pessimism. But the AFC West is a reason for optimism. This division is terrible.

Are we finally worse than the NFC West?

BroncoMan4ever
09-03-2009, 10:04 PM
10-6 and **** Paige and all the other ****ty Denver sports writers.

Atwater His Ass
09-03-2009, 10:53 PM
Are we finally worse than the NFC West?

by a landslide