PDA

View Full Version : Bigger Concern: QB or Defensive Line

Killericon
09-03-2009, 12:55 AM
I just want to know what people around here think the bigger issue(Not right now...Obviously with Simms and Orton out for a bit, QB is more pressing. I mean in terms of roster strength); QB or Defensive Line.

Doggcow
09-03-2009, 01:48 AM
D-Line.

Im on the Brandwagon for Brandstarter

bpc
09-03-2009, 01:53 AM
NFL teams are always looking for franchise QB's. Most important position in football.

fontaine
09-03-2009, 04:00 AM
I'm not concerned about either.

But that's probably because I have little to no expectations from either.

Dr. Broncenstein
09-03-2009, 04:37 AM
We went into the offseason needing to overhaul the entire defense. So obviously we fix the "problem" at quarterback first. I think we're headed in the right direction defensively, and even with a mediocre unit we could have been post-season contenders. Now we are only as good as the defense... and that is if Orton can somehow take care of the football.

chrisp
09-03-2009, 05:37 AM
why do you pick the d-line? I've always thought that the linebackers and safeties were our biggest concern last year and remain so this, although I think that both are improved significantly so far. i think its a big fat hairy myth that the d-line was our big weakness last year. The whole defense was crappy, but the d-line was merely average. It was the backers and safeties that blew chunks

starting D-line has held up pretty OK so far in preseason, so that bodes well, although as we all know preseason means nothing....

As for QB, with everyone healthy its still a big unknown, so something of a concern, however, with the current injury situation you would have to say that QB is a MAJOR concern right now

tsiguy96
09-03-2009, 05:43 AM
linebackers might be worse than both. we have 4 linebackers who struggle in coverage....

chrisp
09-03-2009, 06:15 AM
As he question was specifically "what is the weakest area of the roster", not what is the biggest area of concern, I would have to say we don't really know yet. Orton may in time prove to be the perfect fit for this offense (McD certainly saw something in him that he liked by all accounts) in which case he'll look very strong, or he may not.

What I do like about the roster is the versatility we have. Did anyone notice that once Orton went down, we moved away from the 4-wide spread formations we'd used all day and started featuring a tight-end on first down and run the ball more. that actually proved to be more successfull against the bear's front seven than the previous formations had been.

I get the feeling - and I may be wrong but its a strong feeling - that McD was determined to test out the most complicated part of the offense - the spread formations - in the preseason, regardless of game situation. What I think we will see in the regular season is a more chameleon-like offense that can change its spots if things are not going well.

What's interesting is that on the one hand we have Orton, who probably has the best command of the spread offense currently, but who is incredibly immobile, pegged as starter (when healthy). If either Simms or Brandstater can show a similar mastery from a pocket-passing perspectove, their superior mobility may win them the starting job. For now, however, neither have, hence Orton is preferred.

We really dialled it down when Brandstater went in, and whilst we will be adaptive, the spread formations will still be the bread-and-butter of this offense....

TheDave
09-03-2009, 06:18 AM
QB... it's the hardest position in footbal.

and somehow / someway we chose Kyle Orton.

colonelbeef
09-03-2009, 06:24 AM
QB by a mile, we have officially shat the bed, and Jay Cutler will be rubbing it into our faces for 15 years.

BroncoInSkinland
09-03-2009, 06:47 AM
I thought the OP was saying overall which is more important to a succesful football team. I will go D-line every time, just ask the Steelers why. If the question is which is more important to the 2009 Denver Broncos assuming all players are healthy and looking at the 2010 draft, I would say we need to see this D-line perform in regular season to get a true gauge, but as of right now I would say we are weaker at QB.

jhns
09-03-2009, 07:00 AM
Both spots worry me but the d line has shown some good unlike the qbs. QB is now one of our weakest positions. Very sad.

cmhargrove
09-03-2009, 07:02 AM
why do you pick the d-line? I've always thought that the linebackers and safeties were our biggest concern last year and remain so this, although I think that both are improved significantly so far. i think its a big fat hairy myth that the d-line was our big weakness last year. The whole defense was crappy, but the d-line was merely average. It was the backers and safeties that blew chunks

starting D-line has held up pretty OK so far in preseason, so that bodes well, although as we all know preseason means nothing....

As for QB, with everyone healthy its still a big unknown, so something of a concern, however, with the current injury situation you would have to say that QB is a MAJOR concern right now

Here, here.

I think the Safety play in particular should help us tremendously if Dawkins stays healthy. Get us off the field on third and long....please!

bendog
09-03-2009, 07:09 AM
coach is the weakest position.