PDA

View Full Version : A Few Random Thoughts Rolling Into Week 1

meangene
09-02-2009, 06:58 PM
I am cool with our not disclosing injuries any more than the league requires. It may only gain us a small advantage but I think you take any advantage you can get. If you are the Bungles right now, which QB do you prepare for? Who is going to play RB for us? I don't care if it is frustrating to some of us or pisses Kizla off!

Speaking of which, what is the deal with LeKevin Smith? Undisclosed injury for two weeks and not practicing. He looked like real solid DE depth which we badly need.

I say we dump pretty much all the rest of our DE depth - Thomas, Clemens, Askew. We can do better after final cuts. IF, Smith is going to be healthy soon.

I don't see Orton playing Week 1. I dont' care what is being said. My bigger question is whether Simms is ready? Practicing ok? I think he starts and we have a much more ground oriented attack with more play action like we saw in the second half in SF and Seattle. Simms is still going to be vulnerable to injury and I don't think he has the grasp of the playbook Orton has. That may be a good thing because...

I think Moreno plays and plays well Week 1.

If we can play hardball with the Jets (who seem to be bidding against themselves) and get a guy like Harris for BMarsh it would be a steal. We will never get the value for him his physical ability would dictate because he is a ****ing idiot. If it's gonna happen, it needs to be before the season starts.

BMarsh (barring a trade) and Gaffney's injury may require us to carry 7 receivers in order to have 5 ready to play for the first few weeks.

Will McKinley get a legit shot to take Gaffney's spot or will Jackson be handed the job because he knows the system?

I think Olsen is being groomed to take over for Hamilton before the season is over as part of a trend towards a bigger OL which I think McDaniels prefers.

listopencil
09-02-2009, 07:20 PM
The Olsen thing is interesting, that's for sure.

Gcver2ver3
09-02-2009, 07:33 PM
orton will prolly play...

kamakazi_kal
09-02-2009, 07:35 PM
orton will prolly play...

Your named savior better freaking play. He's been the guy getting the reps.

footstepsfrom#27
09-02-2009, 07:36 PM
Olson's not ready to start. I'm just hoping he makes hte regular squad. I'll be shocked if McD would start a rookie for the most veteran guy on the line. But I'll cry if this guy gets cut based on what we know about his motive for playing the game.

meangene
09-02-2009, 07:41 PM
Olson's not ready to start. I'm just hoping he makes hte regular squad. I'll be shocked if McD would start a rookie for the most veteran guy on the line. But I'll cry if this guy gets cut based on what we know about his motive for playing the game.

He may not start Week 1, but I bet he does before the season is over. Or, he may start for Kuper if he can't go. I don't see him getting cut - he was basically our top backup at guard and center (playing for Hamilton when he slid over to center) in the preseason. He played a lot with the starters in preseason. Hamilton is a great technician but he does get pushed around by bigger defensive linemen.

Gcver2ver3
09-02-2009, 07:43 PM
Your named savior better freaking play. He's been the guy getting the reps.

hopefully you'll be rootin for him come week 1...

footstepsfrom#27
09-02-2009, 07:47 PM
He may not start Week 1, but I bet he does before the season is over. Or, he may start for Kuper if he can't go. I don't see him getting cut - he was basically our top backup at guard and center (playing for Hamilton when he slid over to center) in the preseason. He played a lot with the starters in preseason. Hamilton is a great technician but he does get pushed around by bigger defensive linemen.
Yeah, but remember that McD also traded for one of his NE guys in the inteiror OL as well, so who knows what's on his mind. I've never been a big Hamilton fan though.

BroncoBuff
09-02-2009, 07:51 PM
Speaking of which, what is the deal with LeKevin Smith? Undisclosed injury for two weeks and not practicing. He looked like real solid DE depth which we badly need.

I say we dump pretty much all the rest of our DE depth - Thomas, Clemens, Askew. We can do better after final cuts. IF, Smith is going to be healthy soon.
Agree with you on LeKevin Smith, I'm thinking he and Marcus Thomas will rotate in at DE ... and MT is a borderline roster lock, he's a pretty good player.

I don't see Orton playing Week 1. I dont' care what is being said. My bigger question is whether Simms is ready? Practicing ok?
Yeah, an open dislocated throwing finger is not something you recover from in two weeks. Simms should be ready, though ... all my pimping of him will be put to the test :thumbs:

I don't Simms has the grasp of the playbook Orton has.
I have no earthly idea what prompts such a statement. Simms had four possessions against the 49ers, 3 ended in scores, one ended when McKinley dropped an easy 1st down catch (meanwhile of course Kyle threw 3 picks). His scrambling was very very impressive, and his accuracy against the Seahawks looked good, too:

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/5189/78929405.png

It should be noted McD's statement the QB competition would be open was pure bull. He's so heavily invested in Orton, he'll ride that horse 'til it drops.

BMarsh (barring a trade) and Gaffney's injury may require us to carry 7 receivers in order to have 5 ready to play for the first few weeks.
We can carry seven no problem. The deactivations on game day do limit the number of guys who actually suit up, but paradoxically it makes it easier to go heavy at one spot, here WR.

I think the last spot will eventually be fought over between Chad Jackson and Brandon Lloyd. McKinley is a mortal lock.

I think Olsen is being groomed to take over for Hamilton before the season is over as part of a trend towards a bigger OL which I think McDaniels prefers.
Yes, that's right, as I said that in my camp reports first week of August. Maybe not by the end of this year, but we'll eventually trade Ben to a ZBS team, maybe the Texans.

kamakazi_kal
09-02-2009, 07:52 PM
hopefully you'll be rootin for him come week 1...

Your damn right i will be .... sad as it maybe he's the best we got right now. The spleenless wonder is my only hope right now and who knows if he can last a game at this point.

meangene
09-02-2009, 07:56 PM
BRONCOMCBUFF, I didn't say your boy Simms was not effective, just the the offense seemed more simplified and used the run to set up the pass more. Not a bad thing IMO.

Yeah, we can deactivate 2 receivers on game day but they still take up two roster spots.

BroncoBuff
09-02-2009, 07:59 PM
With all the draft picks the past four years, plus all the Patriots, we really have an over-stuffed roster. We're gonna have to cut a lotta guys who can play. Josh trading for two extra picks this year really limits the number of guys we can keep. Sometimes good roster management mean fewer players, so the young guys can get some coaching an develop. Oh well.