PDA

View Full Version : Could we be shopping for Derek Anderson?

Dr. Broncenstein
09-02-2009, 03:19 PM
Consider this scenario:

The Browns put in a waiver claim on O'Connel. They have Quinn, Anderson, and Ratliff -- with Ratliff being a Mangini import. There is no way they were going to carry four quarterbacks... and honestly there is no way they can continue to pay two starting quarterback salaries plus deal with the politics of the situation. My question is this: were the Broncos working a deal for Derek Anderson? If not, why not?

cutthemdown
09-02-2009, 03:22 PM
could have been a move because they know other teams need qbs. Set's up a trade of Anderson like you said. I just can't fathoom we lose Marshall for a QB like Anderson who had one good yr.

If something like that happened I would think at least Anderson and a 2nd round pick. Which would still suck. Anderson just not a sure thing at all.

footstepsfrom#27
09-02-2009, 03:25 PM
Let's make a list of all the scrub QB's McD could trade for or sign off waivers once he decides Orton isn't the answer. Fact is...there's no way this guy is going to pull up stakes his early twith the guy he handed the job to before camp even started. He chose this horse and he's going to ride it till he absolutely can't do so any longer. At the earliest, we might see a QB drafted or traded for next season.

**EDIT: It's McD I could be way off base he might trade for someone this afternoon for all I know.

Dr. Broncenstein
09-02-2009, 03:25 PM
could have been a move because they know other teams need qbs. Set's up a trade of Anderson like you said. I just can't fathoom we lose Marshall for a QB like Anderson who had one good yr.

If something like that happened I would think at least Anderson and a 2nd round pick. Which would still suck. Anderson just not a sure thing at all.

Seriously? I'd take Anderson and a third for Marshall and jump for joy. Anderson is a prowbowler with an actual NFL calibur arm.

Dr. Broncenstein
09-02-2009, 03:27 PM
Let's make a list of all the scrub QB's McD could trade for or sign off waivers once he decides Orton isn't the answer. Fact is...there's no way this guy is going to pull up stakes his early twith the guy he handed the job to before camp even started. He chose this horse and he's going to ride it till he absolutely can't do so any longer. At the earliest, we might see a QB drafted or traded for next season.

I have to agree with you in principle. McD is married to Orton... but the recent injury may be just the excuse to get a real quarterback now.

TheDave
09-02-2009, 03:27 PM
Sorry folks... For better or worse McKidd has hitched his wagon to Orton.

No matter how bad we want that to change it's not going to while he is our coach.

SoDak Bronco
09-02-2009, 03:28 PM
He's really inconsistent but he's an upgrade. I don't think we trade Marshall to them though. They already have a headache WR in Edwards and Cribbs.

scorpio
09-02-2009, 03:28 PM
I have to agree with you in principle. McD is married to Orton... but the recent injury may be just the excuse to get a real quarterback now.

The injury that's so bad they're expecting him to play opening day?

Dr. Broncenstein
09-02-2009, 03:32 PM

I'm going to go out on a limb and call bullshiat on Orton being ready to go two weeks after an open dislocation of his throwing index finger. Now where did I put my flame suit?

http://www.vegas-blvd.com/zrxoa/fireSuit3.jpg

OK... Let me have it biatches...

supermanhr9
09-02-2009, 03:32 PM
I would take Quinn and Cribbs for Marshall and a 4th?

scorpio
09-02-2009, 03:33 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb and call bullshiat on Orton being ready to go two weeks after an open dislocation of his throwing index finger. Now where did I put my flame suit?

Take it for what it's worth, but a little while ago Schefter twatted 'Even with his the "upper extremity" issue on his right index finger, the feeling within Broncos orgn is that Kyle Orton will start vs Cincy.'

Dr. Broncenstein
09-02-2009, 03:34 PM
Take it for what it's worth, but Schefter twatted 'Even with his the "upper extremity" issue on his right index finger, the feeling within Broncos orgn is that Kyle Orton will start vs Cincy.'

Take it for what it's worth, but I have serious doubts.

azbroncfan
09-02-2009, 03:35 PM

http://www.vegas-blvd.com/zrxoa/fireSuit3.jpg

I need ZONA's injury analysis first before I can make my prediction.

scorpio
09-02-2009, 03:35 PM
Take it for what it's worth, but I have serious doubts.

I think you've made that abundantly clear.

atomicbloke
09-02-2009, 03:38 PM
I would be stoked if we get Derek Anderson.

And this is not just harping on Orton. I felt Anderson was the best prospect, when trading Cutler became a certainty, long before Orton came in to the discussion.

I always felt Anderson has the best set of skills to succeed in a McD style offense, where the QB has to manage a complex spread offense, and has the arm to carry the team himself if needed.

Anderson has the potential to be a very good NFL QB if he gets in to a good situation.

Make it happen McD.

broncosteven
09-02-2009, 03:38 PM
I hope we are looking through the trash of better teams than Cleveland.

Anderson had one good year, I remember watching him play in the Pro-bowl, he sucked with Pro-bowl WR's.

I hope the Broncos HC is looking for depth, just not crappy depth.

elsid13
09-02-2009, 03:43 PM
Who really wants the modern day Drew Bledsoe

DBroncos4life
09-02-2009, 03:43 PM

Anderson had one good year, I remember watching him play in the Pro-bowl, he sucked with Pro-bowl WR's.

I think this is crap. Anderson played well last year. His WRs let him down. Even if you say he has only had one good year thats STILL one more year on Orton.

rbackfactory80
09-02-2009, 03:55 PM
Anderson I'm down

Dukes
09-02-2009, 03:58 PM
Anderson and Edwards for Marshall and a 5th.

DomCasual
09-02-2009, 04:06 PM

Do you understand the difference between an open dislocation and a sprain?

BroncoMan4ever
09-02-2009, 04:10 PM
Consider this scenario:

The Browns put in a waiver claim on O'Connel. They have Quinn, Anderson, and Ratliff -- with Ratliff being a Mangini import. There is no way they were going to carry four quarterbacks... and honestly there is no way they can continue to pay two starting quarterback salaries plus deal with the politics of the situation. My question is this: were the Broncos working a deal for Derek Anderson? If not, why not?

if we are trading for a Cleveland QB, bring in pretty boy Quinn. i do not want the human statue with a turnover problem coming to town.

maher_tyler
09-02-2009, 04:15 PM
Seriously? I'd take Anderson and a third for Marshall and jump for joy. Anderson is a prowbowler with an actual NFL calibur arm.

Yea..let them have BM..then they suddenly have a damn good recieving core. If traded, i don't want him going AFC!

maher_tyler
09-02-2009, 04:19 PM

Funny!

So did Cutler!

SouthStndJunkie
09-02-2009, 04:26 PM
I am not a Derek Anderson fan at all. He certainly does not have the touch to run McDaniels often horizontal passing scheme.

His completion % last year was 50.2%....and don't talk about all the drops....as that would only raise it a few % points. His career completion % is 54.6%

To put his accuracy in perspective....Mike Vick is a 53.8% passer and Vince Young is a 57.3% passer.

At least he has a strong arm....that is about as positive as I can get about DA.

cutthemdown
09-02-2009, 04:32 PM

Not saying I wouldn't like getting Anderson. For sure in our situation it would be worth looking at. I just feel Anderson worth about a 2nd round pick, maybe 3rd round. IMO Marshall a 1st and a 3rd. For that reason I would expect that extra pick to be part of it.

I just don't want to lose Marshal. I want him to come play and stop the bleeding.

errand
09-02-2009, 04:39 PM
Yeah, this is classic...

We got a bunch of clowns on here excited about replacing what they deem a poor Qb with an even worse one.

If you give up Marshall for a Browns QB...at least make it for the guy who has some kind of potential, and that'd be Quinn....who BTW was coached by Charlie Weis...and quite possibly would be able to pick-up McDaniels O quickly.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
09-02-2009, 04:43 PM

So did Cutler. 'Member?

Dr. Broncenstein
Yeah, this is classic...

We got a bunch of clowns on here excited about replacing what they deem a poor Qb with an even worse one.

If you give up Marshall for a Browns QB...at least make it for the guy who has some kind of potential, and that'd be Quinn....who BTW was coached by Charlie Weis...and quite possibly would be able to pick-up McDaniels O quickly.

Well Pat Kirwan asked the same question. Would you characterize him as a clown?

errand
Who really wants the modern day Drew Bledsoe

you mean the Drew Bledsoe who threw for 251 touchdowns and over 44,000 yards and ranks 5th in career completions? Why would anyone want a QB that can do that?

broncofan7
09-02-2009, 04:45 PM
Anderson and Edwards for Marshall and a 5th.

Cosign.

errand
09-02-2009, 04:50 PM
Well Pat Kirwan asked the same question. Would you characterize him as a clown?

Yeah if he wants a career 54% passer to replace a career 55% passer.

I don't claim that Orton is the next elway...hell, he might not even be the next Griese...but he won 64% of his NFL starts without the benefit of a Braylon Edwards or Brandon Marshall catching his passes...and that is why I'm willing to give him a chance.

you have to understand people in the media...they want to be right so badly...that's why they have their mock drafts and trade scenarios...so they can claim they're 'experts" when the truth be known you or I could do just as good a job as they can predicting trades and draft picks.

Florida_Bronco
09-02-2009, 04:53 PM
No thanks. Orton is the better prospect.

Now if they want to work a trade for Brady Quinn, then I'll be interested.

broncofan7
09-02-2009, 04:55 PM
Yeah if he wants a career 54% passer to replace a career 55% passer.

I don't claim that Orton is the next elway...hell, he might not even be the next Griese...but he won 64% of his NFL starts without the benefit of a Braylon Edwards or Brandon Marshall catching his passes...and that is why I'm willing to give him a chance.

you have to understand people in the media...they want to be right so badly...that's why they have their mock drafts and trade scenarios...so they can claim they're 'experts" when the truth be known you or I could do just as good a job as they can predicting trades and draft picks.

Perhaps Lex, myself, The REV, SoCal, Broncobuff and others could do as well--you on the other hand..I've read your posts sir, and you are an expert only in your own mind.........

Archer81
09-02-2009, 05:04 PM
No thanks. Orton is the better prospect.

Now if they want to work a trade for Brady Quinn, then I'll be interested.

I was thinking along the lines, right team, wrong QB. If the Broncos send Marshall to the Browns, Quinn better be coming this way for him.

:Broncos:

elsid13
09-02-2009, 05:19 PM
I was thinking along the lines, right team, wrong QB. If the Broncos send Marshall to the Browns, Quinn better be coming this way for him.

Why would the Browns make that trade??? Quinn looks like he is the starter and why trade for WR when Edwards is on the team? The browns don't improve in that deal unless Denver throws in 1st.

Archer81
09-02-2009, 05:21 PM
Why would the Browns make that trade??? Quinn looks like he is the starter and why trade for WR when Edwards is on the team? The browns don't improve in that deal unless Denver throws in 1st.

Teams dont want more than one premier WR on a team? IF Marshall has to be sent somewhere else, I would want the best player possible in return. IMO.

Popps
09-02-2009, 05:29 PM
Teams dont want more than one premier WR on a team? :

Interesting point. We've seen it before, as in Arizona right now... but it rarely lasts long.

Makes you wonder if part of the reluctance to sign Marshall has to do with the fact that we'll need to sign Eddie Royal to an extension soon, not to mention Clady and a bunch of other guys. How much do we want to tie up at WR?

If we give Marshall a huge deal, Royal is going to want something in that range. Which guy would you rather keep around?

Hmmm... poll-time.

elsid13
09-02-2009, 05:33 PM
Interesting point. We've seen it before, as in Arizona right now... but it rarely lasts long.

Makes you wonder if part of the reluctance to sign Marshall has to do with the fact that we'll need to sign Eddie Royal to an extension soon, not to mention Clady and a bunch of other guys. How much do we want to tie up at WR?

If we give Marshall a huge deal, Royal is going to want something in that range. Which guy would you rather keep around?

Hmmm... poll-time.

Royal has 3 years left on his deal as second rounder, and Clady has 5 years left on 1st round money. Nether of those guys are going to get extension any time soon. Marshall contract demands have no bearing on either of those guys.

bombquixote
09-02-2009, 05:36 PM

Orton had in Chicago what's known as a "Defense." It's when your team is able to stop the other team from scoring very much and hence don't have to score very much yourself in order to win. Look into it.

Wes Mantooth
09-02-2009, 05:57 PM

He has high school aim.

TonyR
09-02-2009, 06:29 PM
My question is this: were the Broncos working a deal for Derek Anderson? If not, why not?

No, very unlikely. Cleveland was probably interested in O'Connell for the same reason some other teams were: they know other teams will at some point be interested in either him or whichever of Anderson or Quinn they are considering moving.

DBroncos4life
09-02-2009, 06:32 PM
No, very unlikely. Cleveland was probably interested in O'Connell for the same reason some other teams were: they know other teams will at some point be interested in either him or whichever of Anderson or Quinn they are considering moving.

Who wouldn't want to pick up O'Connell and get a free pick from Denver.

TonyR
09-02-2009, 06:32 PM
Perhaps Lex, myself, The REV, SoCal, Broncobuff and others could do as well--you on the other hand..I've read your posts sir, and you are an expert only in your own mind.........

You're lumping yourself in with the likes of lex and then you're going to suggest you're somehow a better poster than errand? Hanging out with Chaka in the Land of the Lost, are you?

TonyR
09-02-2009, 06:34 PM
Who wouldn't want to pick up O'Connell and get a free pick from Denver.

Has Denver offered Detroit a pick for him and I missed the news? Or could you just not pass up the opportunity to make a sarcastic comment about the team you pretend to be a fan of?

DBroncos4life
09-02-2009, 06:39 PM
Has Denver offered Detroit a pick for him and I missed the news? Or could you just not pass up the opportunity to make a sarcastic comment about the team you pretend to be a fan of?

I couldn't pass it up, calm down super fan 2, we haven't denied traded talks so I guess its safe to say we aren't trying to trade for him. We wanted him though you can't DENY that fact.

TonyR
09-02-2009, 06:46 PM
...calm down super fan 2...

I'm perfectly calm. You and your funny clown friends keep twisting yourselves up into pretzels getting all worked up about how internet rumors portend doom for the team you love to hate.

DBroncos4life
09-02-2009, 06:58 PM
I'm perfectly calm. You and your funny clown friends keep twisting yourselves up into pretzels getting all worked up about how internet rumors portend doom for the team you love to hate.

:clown: awesome.

broncosteven
09-02-2009, 07:22 PM
Funny!

So did Cutler!

I agree with you there.

broncosteven
09-02-2009, 07:27 PM
So did Cutler. 'Member?

MT beat you to this in post #24.

I didn't know we were talking about Cutler, but you are both right he looked like **** in the Pro-bowl.

Maybe this year we get to see Orton in the Pro-bowl for the 1st time and see what he can do!

Killericon
09-02-2009, 07:30 PM
Yes please.

Popcorn Sutton
09-02-2009, 07:40 PM
I am not a Derek Anderson fan at all. He certainly does not have the touch to run McDaniels often horizontal passing scheme.

His completion % last year was 50.2%....and don't talk about all the drops....as that would only raise it a few % points. His career completion % is 54.6%

To put his accuracy in perspective....Mike Vick is a 53.8% passer and Vince Young is a 57.3% passer.

At least he has a strong arm....that is about as positive as I can get about DA.

Phew! Thank God somebody else agrees. People think Orton has cement in his shoes.... geesh! Anderson can do one thing and one thing only which is drop back and throw a seem route. He is terrible with timing and short precise routes and has zero touch. If it's not a full wind up laser pass down field he just can't do it. If the protection breaks down he is downright ugly to watch. He throws a pretty seem route and has a big arm but it doesn't translate in this system at all.

Popcorn Sutton
09-02-2009, 07:46 PM
Anderson's career completion percentage including college:

2002-47 percent
2003-51.2 percent
2004-54.2 percent
2006-56.4 percent
2007-56.5 percent
2008-50.2 percent

Popcorn Sutton
09-02-2009, 07:49 PM
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2009/08/anderson_is_not_the_short_answ.html

Another fact remains: Anderson has a very poor touch on short passes.

OK, some fans probably know that.

But how many of us ever put some numbers to it?

The NFL average for completing passes in the 1-to-10 yard range is 67.0 percent.

Anderson was at 54.2 last season.

In his three years with the Browns, the stats on those passes have been going down for Anderson: 63.0, 57.9 and 54.2.

McMastermind
09-02-2009, 09:43 PM
I remember watching him play in the Pro-bowl, he sucked with Pro-bowl WR's..

Funny, I remember thinking the exact same thing last January......

From NFL.com

It was over when ...
Jay Cutler threw four straight incompletions with under 2 minutes remaining, allowing the NFC to take over on downs.

Wes Mantooth
09-02-2009, 11:21 PM
Anderson's career completion percentage including college:

2002-47 percent
2003-51.2 percent
2004-54.2 percent
2006-56.4 percent
2007-56.5 percent
2008-50.2 percent

I have seen this guy up close and personal and can tell you he is very, very frustrating to watch. In college, he made a regular habit of having balls sail miles above intended targets. He locks onto receivers and is not in the least bit mobile.

footstepsfrom#27
09-02-2009, 11:25 PM
I have seen this guy up close and personal and can tell you he is very, very frustrating to watch. In college, he made a regular habit of having balls sail miles above intended targets. He locks onto receivers and is not in the least bit mobile.
So he's perfect for this system.

lex
09-02-2009, 11:25 PM
What size does he wear?

Dedhed
09-03-2009, 05:43 AM
I'd rather give the lions a pick for O'connell. He has familiarity with the system, and could develop into a long time starter. All these other guys are stop gaps, including Orton.

Doggcow
09-03-2009, 08:15 AM
I WOULD LOVE ANDERSON + EDWARDS FOR MARSHALL AND A 4TH OR SOMETHING! I've been bouncing this trade around with my Brother too.

Wes Mantooth
09-03-2009, 08:28 AM
So he's perfect for this system.

:approve:

SoonerBronco
09-03-2009, 09:24 AM
Do you understand the difference between an open dislocation and a sprain?

Dom...he's a freaking doctor, for reals...I think he knows...

KYChamp24
09-03-2009, 09:44 AM
I wan't no part of Anderson. This season is a loss, take our lumps and get a top QB in the draft.

~Crash~
09-03-2009, 10:02 AM
I wan't no part of Anderson. This season is a loss, take our lumps and get a top QB in the draft.

that pick was traded for a short DB ....:wiggle:

Vegas_Bronco
09-03-2009, 01:23 PM
I need ZONA's injury analysis first before I can make my prediction.

Gimme the Hurtlocker....I don't trust you terrorists.

oubronco
09-03-2009, 01:48 PM

Sad but true.........He still is better than Orton

Dr. Broncenstein
09-04-2009, 04:43 PM

:welcome:

FireFly
09-04-2009, 06:24 PM
that pick was traded for a short DB ....:wiggle:

Oh snap! Hilarious!

errand
09-05-2009, 11:39 PM
Orton had in Chicago what's known as a "Defense." It's when your team is able to stop the other team from scoring very much and hence don't have to score very much yourself in order to win. Look into it.

Yeah, the same defense that was ranked 21st overall last season? Oh, and before you try the "how many points did they give up" route...they were middle of the pack...16th overall. And they only had 28 sacks ranking them 22nd overall as well.

See, I do look into things, clown