PDA

View Full Version : Lion's sign O'connell ,maybe Broncos trade for stanton

Elway777
09-01-2009, 11:49 PM
http://www.freep.com/article/20090901/SPORTS01/90901026/1355/SPORTS/Lions-QB-Drew-Stanton-to-undergo-surgery-

Lion's signed O'connell and Stanton has surgery on Knee. Maybe the Broncos could trade for Stanton for a 5 or 6 round pick ,then put on IR . Stanton could learn the system and be ready for next year. Stanton has a ton of potential if he could finnal overcome his injury history.

Rulon Velvet Jones
09-01-2009, 11:57 PM
Everyone in the world has potential.

JCMElway
09-02-2009, 12:03 AM
I do think Stanton will start for some team in this league at some point.

TheReverend
09-02-2009, 12:18 AM
Oh dear god please don't...

ScottXray
09-02-2009, 12:21 AM
Is Shanny back? Sounds like his kind of deal.

Doggcow
09-02-2009, 12:22 AM
Why do we want Stanton? Why didn't we just snag oconnel?

TheReverend
09-02-2009, 12:23 AM
Is Shanny back? Sounds like his kind of deal.

Because he traded draft picks for players that will eventually be cut/hit the waiver wire and are injured and only headed to the IR?

TheReverend
09-02-2009, 12:23 AM

no.......

BigPlayShay
09-02-2009, 12:28 AM

We tried. We put a waiver claim on him, as did NY Jets, Cleveland, and Detroit. Detroit got first dibs as they had the worst record (ever).

ScottXray
09-02-2009, 12:32 AM
Because he traded draft picks for players that will eventually be cut/hit the waiver wire and are injured and only headed to the IR?

Like I said...his kind of deal.:wiggle:

Elway777
09-02-2009, 12:58 AM
Stanton has arm strong close to Cutler plus mobility. He also looked better then Stafford and Culpepper in Preseason. His biggest promblem is staying healthy. I think it might be worth a 5 or 6 round pick in order to see what he has. If anything else some day might make a good backup. Using a 5 or 6 on him the Broncos still could could use a early draft pick on Snead, Bradford ,McCoy or Tebow. The Broncos will have a hard time finding anybody better then Stanton in 5 or 6 round.

houghtam
09-02-2009, 12:59 AM
I do think Stanton will start for some team in this league at some point.

This.

But it would have to be with the right team. He's a system quarterback, and he did very well in John L. Smith's spread offense. His arm is nowhere near Cutler's...he's got a decent arm, but poor accuracy downfield. I watched him every week in college, as I've always been a big Michigan State fan. I think he would fit in with a system like ours, but I wouldn't be willing to spend more than a 6th or 7th to find out.

Elway777
09-02-2009, 01:11 AM
This.

But it would have to be with the right team. He's a system quarterback, and he did very well in John L. Smith's spread offense. His arm is nowhere near Cutler's...he's got a decent arm, but poor accuracy downfield. I watched him every week in college, as I've always been a big Michigan State fan. I think he would fit in with a system like ours, but I wouldn't be willing to spend more than a 6th or 7th to find out. I think is acurary might have improved alot since his days at Michagan state. He was making pin point passes during the preseason. So you thing that the Broncos can find someone better then Stanton in the 6 or 7 round.

ZONA
09-02-2009, 02:15 AM
I think is acurary might have improved alot since his days at Michagan state. He was making pin point passes during the preseason. So you thing that the Broncos can find someone better then Stanton in the 6 or 7 round.

Maybe not, but they probably wouldn't be injured. 2 things I don't want in my QB, if it's possible, is a history of injuries and a history of not being accurate. Matter of fact, accuracy is the #1 thing I am looking for in my QB, I can settle for avg arm strength is the man has lights out accuracy, which means if he is that accurate without a strong arm, usually will mean he reads defenses well because he has to read and then start throwing before a strong armed gun slinger would.

uplink
09-02-2009, 04:47 AM

Shanny was always looking for the 'sale price' IMO (injured players whom he could draft etc. at a lower than expected value)

uplink
09-02-2009, 04:50 AM
might we give the Lions a draft pick for O'Connell since he knows the offense?
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

bap454
09-02-2009, 04:59 AM
lets just get rid of all of our draft picks from next year

footstepsfrom#27
09-02-2009, 05:09 AM
We need all our picks so we can trade them to NE.

uplink
09-02-2009, 05:19 AM
lets just get rid of all of our draft picks from next year

Getting a back-up who knows McD's system is a big deal worth a pick. Don't be surprised if it happens. The Lions may have grabbed him just to try and get a pick.

s0phr0syne
09-02-2009, 05:35 AM
If McD wanted him badly enough, our 6th/7th would've already been shipped to NE for the rights to acquire him versus the Patriots just cutting him out right.

There's something weird about the O'Connell release, and I think it's further evidenced by McD choosing not to use (yet) another pick to acquire a system player.

SonOfLe-loLang
09-02-2009, 09:42 AM
Ladies and gentlemen....the maaaaaad scientist

Borks147
09-02-2009, 09:46 AM
There's something weird about the O'Connell release, and I think it's further evidenced by McD choosing not to use (yet) another pick to acquire a system player.

ehh....

if McD didn't want him at all b/c there was something fishy about him, he wouldn't have put the waiver claim in for him.

Not saying he'll trade for him now, though.

Dr. Broncenstein
09-02-2009, 09:53 AM

http://jamie-online.com/random-jamz/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/facepalm.jpg

s0phr0syne
09-02-2009, 10:47 AM
ehh....

if McD didn't want him at all b/c there was something fishy about him, he wouldn't have put the waiver claim in for him.

Not saying he'll trade for him now, though.

Agreed. I'm just saying that if he wanted him badly enough, he would have traded something for his rights. For whatever reason, there's something about O'Connell that convinced the Pats to cut a 3rd round pick (maybe Brian Hoyer is amazing...), and neither the Chiefs nor the Broncos tried to acquire him by trade (the Chiefs didn't even submit a waiver claim). I kind of understand the Chiefs situation since they have a full house of mediocre QBs, but I'm not sure why in our situation McD didn't try. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he has his reasons, such as his confidence in Orton or his doubt in O'Connell.

Rotoworld had this interesting blurb about QB Curtis Painter:

Despite a promising showing this preseason, Colts sixth-round QB Curtis Painter is in danger of being left off the final roster.

The Colts haven't carried a third QB since 2004, so Painter would likely have to supplant Jim Sorgi as the No. 2 to crack the final 53. The Colts run the risk of losing Painter on waivers if they try to stash him on the practice squad. Stay tuned.

I've actually been very impressed by Painter in the preseason play I've seen from him. I honestly thought he had a shot at knocking Sorgi down to QB3. If the report is true, I think he's a prospect that worth trying to put in a claim on.

houghtam
09-02-2009, 11:16 AM
Maybe not, but they probably wouldn't be injured. 2 things I don't want in my QB, if it's possible, is a history of injuries and a history of not being accurate. Matter of fact, accuracy is the #1 thing I am looking for in my QB, I can settle for avg arm strength is the man has lights out accuracy, which means if he is that accurate without a strong arm, usually will mean he reads defenses well because he has to read and then start throwing before a strong armed gun slinger would.

If you read my first post, what I said was that Stanton was not accurate downfield. His short and intermediate passing has always been great, which is what caused him to excel in John L. Smith's system, and what could contribute him to benefitting from our system.

However, with his injury history (he has missed time from games due to injury in '05, '06, '07, and now '09), he's suspect at best...At MSU he often chose to run over taking an easy dump off or check down, so if he hasn't gotten that out of his system, he's not even worth the roster spot.

And believe me, I'm about as Homer as they come from Michigan State. I thought Jehuu Caulcrick would be an amazing RB in the league (and still could if put in the right system:wiggle:) But Stanton, like many other MSU quarterbacks, just doesn't have "it".

LonghornBronco
09-02-2009, 11:28 AM
Sigh... Before camp I thought it would be awhile before we had to discuss the topic of mediocre QB's

carry-on