PDA

View Full Version : Woody: Circus act won't fly come regular season.

watermock
09-01-2009, 09:53 PM
woody paige
Paige: This act won't fly come regular season
By Woody Paige

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site36/2009/0830/20090830__BroncosIndex083009~p1_200.jpg

Bears quarterback Jay Cutler celebrates a touchdown in the second quarter against the Broncos in a preseason game Sunday night at Invesco Field at Mile High. (Tim Rasmussen, The Denver Post)Cirque du KyleJoshJay turned out to be as eye-popping, spine-tingling and hair-raising as watching the man with a pail and a broom following the elephants.

In the three-ring circus of a game: Josh McDaniels' Denver debut was a disappointing dud; Kyle was Ordinary Orton again, then cut the index finger on his business hand; and, in the unkindest cut of all, Jay Cutler produced a 98-yard touchdown drive before halftime and proved to some of the 73,519 people in the neighborhood, but not the one in the hoodie, why he shouldn't have been traded.

The exhibition Sunday night was the most anticipated in Denver history, even more so than in 1967 when the Broncos played Detroit at (long gone) DU Stadium in the first interleague exhibition. The Lions' Alex Karras said if the NFL team lost to the AFL team, he would walk back to Detroit.

The Broncos won 13-7, and Broncos coach Lou Saban was carried off the field. Karras crawled off.

McDaniels was not carried off the field on Sunday evening. The Broncos lost their third exhibition, 27-17 to the Bears, and slinked away.

Cutler did not have to walk back to Chicago. After being booed like a medieval tax collector in the first half and completing 15-of-21 for 144 yards and one touchdown (and no interceptions), Cutler, last seen in this stadium playing for the home team, did not move off the sideline in the second half.

Kyle Orton, who completed 12-of-16 for 96 yards and no touchdowns (and without an interception for the first time in three games), did not come out of the locker room in the second half.

The former Bears and current Broncos quarterback departed the field with five minutes remaining in the first half with a bleeding finger. Orton apparently hurt the finger on some foreign object on third-and-2 when he tried to pass. The Broncos announced it was "an upper extremity injury" (per the club's new silly policy of trying to hide the extent of injuries), but McDaniels said at halftime the (fickle) finger (of fate) was not broken. Later both the coach and the quarterback refused to talk about the "there will be blood" finger, as if it never happened.

Will Ingle Martin end up as the opening-game starter at QB?

The circus came to town on Sunday, but the elephant not in the room was Brandon Marshall.

In his first exhibition appearance in Denver, Orton was no high-wire act.

Cutler wasn't very acrobatic early, then led the Bears on a 98-yard touchdown drive. That was not the most famous 98-yard drive in a game involving the Broncos. You'd have to go all the way back to a rather famous quarterback and a rather famous playoff game in Cleveland.

But this drive consumed 307 seconds, lasted until 0:13 before halftime and was very impressive — with Cutler hitting on seven passes, the last a 6-yard scoring toss to Matt Forte.

Orton, meanwhile, didn't throw a pick, unlike the four in the first two exhibitions, but the third try probably was his poorest overall performance. The Broncos' offense had a feeble field goal, and Orton threw the ball beyond 10 yards just once.

Cutler and Orton were finished at the half, and most of the crowd was too. No highlight video here.

At game's end, Cutler wandered into the mosh pit at midfield and greeted some of his ex-teammates, but never went over to shake hands or talk with McDaniels, who made no effort, either. In his gnarly postgame discussion, McDaniels, being juvenile, wouldn't mention Cutler's name and said of the game's atmosphere: "It certainly was more than a six on a scale of 1 to 10," a sarcastic reference to a recent quote comparing fans in Chicago and Denver.

Orton said of his injury, "Ask the coach." His first-team offensive unit has accounted for only one touchdown and just 13 points in approximately 6 1/2 quarters of work, and McDaniels is 0-3 as an exhibition coach, and 0-2 in a hoodie.

On a wonderful autumn night in August, there was expectation in the air. But an Orton-Cutler Aerial Show actually was Monty Python's Flying Circus.

The Broncos were called for holding on the first play, an ineligible receiver on their third play. Then Orton missed on a pass. No first downs.

The Bears had third-and-2 on their first possession, but Cutler's pass was off.

Cue the high-kicking Broncos and the dancing Bears. Nobody in a national TV audience was humming the score.

The Broncos had 10 penalties, one fumble, one interception, one more ugly exhibition.

In the first halves of three games the Broncos have been outscored 55-16. They don't have a fumble recovery or an interception yet. They have thrown five interceptions and fumbled three times.

McDaniels even admitted that the Broncos "cannot play like that and beat a good football team."

After the latest bland loss, the only happy person in Denver on Sunday night was Brandon Marshall. Cutler won for the first time in Denver since Dec. 7.

This work in progress should be more progressed by now. If the circus doesn't get better soon, send in the clowns.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_13237246

OBF1
09-01-2009, 10:01 PM
yawn

BroncoBuff
09-01-2009, 10:09 PM
I dunno ...the penalties can be curbed.

Get ready for Chris Simms to start in Cincinnati :strong:

GoBroncos DownUnder
09-01-2009, 10:13 PM
This work in progress should be more progressed by now.
By now? After one massive long preseason and 3 meaningless pre-season games? "Progress" ... who you kidding Woody?:spit:

Vegas_Bronco
09-01-2009, 10:13 PM
Oh, woody...I know...the hard part is that its not advertised as a circus which really hurts my lower extremities.

ZONA
09-01-2009, 10:31 PM
yawn

No doubt, it's like all he was doing was just going over the details of the game. Nice insight there woody, loser.

Broncos4tw
09-02-2009, 12:34 AM
The proof is in the pudding folks. All the blustery talk by Josh, all his boyish enthusiasm, doesn't amount to a hill of beans at the end of the season. Hoodie or not, "tough" camp or not, he is nervous with the press, he looks like he is in over his head, and our team does not look disciplined, regardless of what people think. Our fundamentals seem very weak now. Penalties up the wazoo. Our offensive playcalling looks no different than it did under Shanny. Our redzone offense hasn't changed.

Yup, it's preseason. But you are kidding yourself if you think we were "holding back." Please... Josh would have loved to start his coaching career by winning. We lost because we have a crap QB, and perhaps the system is more than just the assistant coach and his rah-rah attitude after all.

But I'll reserve complete judgment for a few games into the season, I will give him that. I do realize it takes time to get a new everything right. Rome wasn't built in a day. But if this is the real deal, it needs to improve week to week. Haven't seen this in preseason. Perhaps we'll see it in regular, who knows. Here's hoping.

ZONA
09-02-2009, 01:04 AM
The proof is in the pudding folks. All the blustery talk by Josh, all his boyish enthusiasm, doesn't amount to a hill of beans at the end of the season.

At the end of what season? The preseason? If you're saying the proof is in the pudding, then I can only assume you mean the pudding is the preseason, because obviously we haven't even played a regular season game yet, so there is no proof of anything in regards to the regular season.

First, most of the intelligent folk around here, McD lovers or haters alike, realize Rome wasn't built in a day and to turn a crappy team into a good team in 3 preseason games wasn't going to happen. Nor will it probably happen in 1 regular season. But I'll save my "the sky is falling" attitude until after the season is over.

And to be quite honest, if anybody on this board thinks that the team who lost 3 in a row at the end and got their asses handed to them in the last game is better then the team on the field now, you should check your self. I'm not saying it's better but it's definitely not worse. Yet many of you who are in total agony right now about how Josh is running things were also flipping out after the epic failure at the end of last season so what's your point? Josh hasn't put a Superbowl team together in one offseason and 3 preseason games? News flash, if Shanny were still coaching this team, the defense would still be last in the league next year and the team would not make the playoffs, yet again. Try and get some perspective.

DrFate
09-02-2009, 05:51 AM
First, most of the intelligent folk around here, McD lovers or haters alike, realize Rome wasn't built in a day and to turn a crappy team into a good team in 3 preseason games wasn't going to happen.

How was this a 'crappy' team? There were established starters at several key positions. On an 8-8 team. Sure they late-season collapse wasn't pretty. But 'crappy'?

I'll show you crappy. The 2009 Denver Broncos, who will struggle to win 6. THAT is crappy.

errand
09-02-2009, 06:10 AM
How was this a 'crappy' team? There were established starters at several key positions. On an 8-8 team. Sure they late-season collapse wasn't pretty. But 'crappy'?

I'll show you crappy. The 2009 Denver Broncos, who will struggle to win 6. THAT is crappy.

No sir...crappy isn't a team that in rebuilding mode finishes 6-10...it's an 8-8 team that started off 3-0...was 4-1....and 8-5 at different times during the season....and that blew a 3 game lead to a team that started out 4-8.

WolfpackGuy
09-02-2009, 06:23 AM
The 2008 Broncos would've been killed by the Colts or Ravens in the first round.
I don't see what all the hubbub is about them blowing a 3 game lead in December.
They were a flawed team with good, young talent on the offensive side, and it showed.
Now, they're just hopeless, but at least "The Coach" wears a hoodie.

jhat01
09-02-2009, 06:49 AM
The 2008 Broncos would've been killed by the Colts or Ravens in the first round.
I don't see what all the hubbub is about them blowing a 3 game lead in December.
They were a flawed team with good, young talent on the offensive side, and it showed.
Now, they're just hopeless, but at least "The Coach" wears a hoodie.

hopeless? I don't think they are hopeless. GReat point though about the payoffs...yeah it doesn't matter that the late season failures continued, because we'd have no chance in the playoffs...one of the weakest takes on that failure I've ever heard. This team has problems for sure, but hopeless describes your mindset, not the team

tsiguy96
09-02-2009, 06:59 AM
he talks about cutler as if he was god like. he was shut down for most of the game and got significantly more lucky to get that 98 yard drive than anything else. what a stupid ****ing article. if you want to know why more broncos are not in hte HOF, i give to you the reason. woody paige is the one who presents to the voters.

jhns
09-02-2009, 07:01 AM
No sir...crappy isn't a team that in rebuilding mode finishes 6-10...it's an 8-8 team that started off 3-0...was 4-1....and 8-5 at different times during the season....and that blew a 3 game lead to a team that started out 4-8.

It took a ton of injuries to derail this team last season. Without a single injury, we will not win 8 games this year. The early excuse making is pretty lame. Why give mcdaniels a free pass? What exactly has he done for denver to earn the respect of the fans?

If we can't match last years win total, we need a new front office. People claim this team was so horrible but the offense was all rookie-third year guys and both units had tons of injuries. We also had our franchises worst ever defense. There is no excuse for being a 3-4 win team. I can't believe fans are already trying to justify it.

tsiguy96
09-02-2009, 07:09 AM
It took a ton of injuries to derail this team last season. Without a single injury, we will not win 8 games this year. The early excuse making is pretty lame. Why give mcdaniels a free pass? What exactly has he done for denver to earn the respect of the fans?

If we can't match last years win total, we need a new front office. People claim this team was so horrible but the offense was all rookie-third year guys and both units had tons of injuries. We also had our franchises worst ever defense. There is no excuse for being a 3-4 win team. I can't believe fans are already trying to justify it.

:giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle:

go root for the chargers. kthxbie

jhat01
09-02-2009, 07:09 AM

Like it or not, this team is in all out rebuild mode. How it got to this point can be argued till the cows come home. This staff will have at least 2 years to show progress. You won't hear anyone at dove valley making excuses for a 3 win season..excuses are what fans come up with, not teams.

baja
09-02-2009, 07:14 AM
Oh, woody...I know...the hard part is that its not advertised as a circus which really hurts my lower extremities.

I will admit that "upper extremity / lower extremity" bull shiit bothers me about the regime as does the damn Hoodie. It worries me that our new HC is a hero worshiping copy ct, can't be a good thing. Maybe I read too much into it???

RaiderH8r
09-02-2009, 07:16 AM

And to think, Shanny rebuilt the club AND kept them competitive. A 6 win season was an abomination now, according to the Lil' Hoodie fan club, it is what we should expect and we should like it. BS. Shanny was fired to make this club better, 6-10 is not better, 8-8 is not better. Anything short of 9-7 is a failure on Lil Hoodie's part. He wanted to make the bold move for AbOrton I expect bold results. Period. If this is still about winning (I never know from day to day with the Lil Hoodies what the standard for success is) then McKid better hop on the good foot and get with it because I have not even begun to deride him.

Nolan has done a stunning job on the D side of the ball. Stunning. However, on the O we've taken steps backwards in terms of discipline (penalties), performance, and talent. Yeah, its preseason but these things are supposed to get better day to day even in the preseason and it just isn't happening. Shipping one superb talent and alienating another is all on McKid. Performance? It's his offense so that is on McKid and discipline, again on McKid. The offense just does not have its sh!t wired tight even at the stage of game 3 preseason. What we saw on Sunday is pretty much what we're taking to Cincy.

Bob's your Information Minister
09-02-2009, 07:17 AM
That was pretty weak for Woody. Come on. Don't just regurgitate what happened in the frickin' game. That's not your job.

baja
09-02-2009, 07:19 AM

Not to mention to quality of the teams that beat them down the stretch.

BTW Cutler will have some pretty passes and some pretty drives but he is not the guy that makes every player better or is he the mentally tough guy that can rally the team there will always be something missing with this guy. He is the poster guy for "Look good on Paper"

DenverBroncosJM
09-02-2009, 07:21 AM
Is now a good time to remind everyone one of the "good" teams that is 3-0 in the preseason is the chiefs.

Really don't understand why anyone would put a lot of stock in to winning a meaningless game

Man-Goblin
09-02-2009, 07:22 AM
That was pretty weak for Woody. Come on. Don't just regurgitate what happened in the frickin' game. That's not your job.

I regurgitate when I think about the game.

TheDave
09-02-2009, 07:23 AM
I will admit that "upper extremity / lower extremity" bull shiit bothers me about the regime as does the damn Hoodie. It worries me that our new HC is a hero worshiping copy ct, can't be a good thing. Maybe I read too much into it???

Or maybe you're starting to realize I'm right... we're in trouble.

WolfpackGuy
09-02-2009, 07:26 AM
Is now a good time to remind everyone one of the "good" teams that is 3-0 in the preseason is the chiefs.

Really don't understand why anyone would put a lot of stock in to winning a meaningless game

I don't think anyone is putting much stock into the wins and losses.
It's how you look, and the Broncos ain't looking too good.

Mr.Meanie
09-02-2009, 07:27 AM
The real "circus act" will be watching Paige, Kiszla, and all the other haters doing backflips in trying to kiss ass and make up for their stupidity and short-sightedness.

Rohirrim
09-02-2009, 07:28 AM
This will be a tough season for the "short attention span" generation. ;D

jhns
09-02-2009, 07:30 AM
Like it or not, this team is in all out rebuild mode. How it got to this point can be argued till the cows come home. This staff will have at least 2 years to show progress. You won't hear anyone at dove valley making excuses for a 3 win season..excuses are what fans come up with, not teams.

We were in all out rebuild mode last season. Again, the excuses for this year are lame. We face the 19th hardest schedule and should have a far better defense. Mcdaniels is supposed to be an offensive genious and he even got to get his own QB to be sure he has someone that fits his system. He gave away our QB who will be in this league a lot longert than mcdaniels will be on this team. He gave away our first next year for a single second round pick.

I hope you are correct that the team won't be making excuses even though you are talking about a team that always has. The fans seem to have a ton of them and we are still not to the regular season.

baja
09-02-2009, 07:34 AM
Or maybe you're starting to realize I'm right... we're in trouble.

I always thought your position was possible. My take the verdict is not in yet but I do like most of his important decisions so far.

1. As painful as the Cutler thing is I think it will turn out to be good for the Broncos, it means Bowlen will not have to rename the team the 'Cutlers" in a few years.

2. I like the way he is handling the BMarsh thing. Suspension until season opener is the perfect punishment.

3. like the draft mostly although concerned that we traded away our 1st for a player we didn't desperately need.

4. Love his TEAM FIRST concept. I believe Primadona players are what wrong with the NFL I hope he can field a winning team with his concept.

I didn't like that he throw Morano in the game with all of two practices under his belt.

bendog
09-02-2009, 07:42 AM
If they go 5-11 will Woody and Kizla bite Bowlen's hand?

TheDave
09-02-2009, 07:47 AM
I always thought your position was possible. My take the verdict is not in yet but I do like most of his important decisions so far.

1. As painful as the Cutler thing is I think it will turn out to be good for the Broncos, it means Bowlen will not have to rename the team the 'Cutlers" in a few years.

2. I like the way he is handling the BMarsh thing. Suspension until season opener is the perfect punishment.

3. like the draft mostly although concerned that we traded away our 1st for a player we didn't desperately need.

4. Love his TEAM FIRST concept. I believe Primadona players are what wrong with the NFL I hope he can field a winning team with his concept.

I didn't like that he throw Morano in the game with all of two practices under his belt.

I've done my best to be "hopeful"... Unfortunately this last game just beat it out of me. I always thought the trade was world class stupid... But Sunday night confirmed ALL of my fears.

In all honesty, I don't think he will survive the Cutler trade. Fair or not it will be hung around his neck like the proverbial Albatross. Every Cutler highlight and Orton Lowlight will be thrown at his feet.

Then to make matters worse, if we struggle this year (highly likely) we will be the punch line of every draft discussion...

The preassure his 2nd year will be absolutely unbelievable.

I almost feel sorry for the guy.

bendog
09-02-2009, 07:54 AM
--
I don't. But I figger Bowlen will toss him under the bus, and I doubt the media has the stones to point out who laid the turd.

baja
09-02-2009, 08:02 AM
I've done my best to be "hopeful"... Unfortunately this last game just beat it out of me. I always thought the trade was world class stupid... But Sunday night confirmed ALL of my fears.

In all honesty, I don't think he will survive the Cutler trade. Fair or not it will be hung around his neck like the proverbial Albatross. Every Cutler highlight and Orton Lowlight will be thrown at his feet.

Then to make matters worse, if we struggle this year (highly likely) we will be the punch line of every draft discussion...

I don't get how the Cutler trade is now all on McD, the decision was Pat Bowlen's and I don't think McD was all that pleased with it but had to live with it, at least that was the info coming out of DV at the time.

RaiderH8r
09-02-2009, 08:05 AM

I don't. What I look for is improvement in the little details, like holding, footwork, route running, discipline, tempo, cohesion. Things like that, basically is everybody on the same page and are they better today than they were yesterday. Nolan is getting that out of the D. McKid is not getting out of the O. The O seems off by a half beat, making mental errors. They're thinking instead of playing and at this stage of the preseason they look like they're behind in their development as a unit and that concerns the crap out of me. We just don't have the talent at Q to be able to rely on him to pull anything out of the hat. Orton is just not that kind of athlete, he is captain checkdown.

RaiderH8r
09-02-2009, 08:09 AM
I don't get how the Cutler trade is now all on McD, the decision was Pat Bowlen's and I don't think McD was all that pleased with it but had to live with it, at least that was the info coming out of DV at the time.

McKid started the whole thing by pissing down his leg for Cassell. If Coach Slapdick keeps his yap shut or actually pulls off the trade then the circus act is avoided. Instead he half yipped it into the bunker and spent the next few weeks polishing his turd so that he could get some value out of Cutler despite the fact he threw a good portion of his leverage out the window with his BS circus act. He managed then to get a first rounder out of the deal but pissed that away on a second round pick.

Bowlen, like usual, was just along for the ride. McKid is Bowlen's pick and Bowlen, being a good owner, is going to give his coach what the coach says he needs. This coach says he needed Cutler gone and Cutler went. Now we have the AbOrton lofting whiffle balls. We'll be seeing 8 in the box an awful lot this year. Maybe we should have kept that stable of 7 deep RBs.

jhns
09-02-2009, 08:10 AM

I don't think it was bowlen at all. He made the public statement to take some of the heat off the rookie coach. Even if it was bowlens choice, mcdaniels and xanders are still to blame. Bowlen would never trade the starting qb without the coach wanting it to happen. He isn't that owner.

He has also said a ton of times that he has final say on everything but let's his guys make all of the decisions because that is what he pays them for. He even expanded on that this offseason saying that he doesn't even really know what he is doing and that's why he pays people.

There is nothing in bowlens long history here that says he would get rid of a qb without the coach wanting it done. His history says the exact opposite. It is the reason this coaching job is such a great one to have. We have the exact opposite of Dallas' Jones.

This is at least my take and why I still blame all of the front office, including bowlen. I don't put it only on mcdaniels.

RaiderH8r
09-02-2009, 08:12 AM

Almost.

You nailed it though.

kamakazi_kal
09-02-2009, 08:37 AM

I still can't believe McD would stoop to take shots at Cutler after the game with some of his comments. That pointed me to the opinion that trade had two huge egos involved McD and Cutler and Bowlen made his choice.

I like some of McD's ideas about how he wants to build a team. That being said the Bears look like contenders and we looked like crap. When Mcd was hired he said himself this team was ready to win now. So why does he now suddenly get a pass if this team falls below .500?

I know these games don't count but Cutler has improved in his bears games the same can't be said for the Denver offense. I understand everything is vanilla but man we have the eddie royal screen and that's about it?

Here's to hoping Mcd can just "turn it on" but the Pat's offense has showed no signs of missing him in their preseason games ..... was it McD or BB that created that high powered offense?

TheDave
09-02-2009, 08:39 AM

I believe it was bowlen who ultimately ordered him to be traded...But don't forget how the power structure works in Dove valley. Mr. B gives his coaches EVERYTHING they need to be successful.

If McDaniels went to him and said he had to have Jay to win, Cutler would still be a Bronco.

That didn't happen and fair or not, the pressure will be on McDaniel's to make this trade successful.

lex
09-02-2009, 08:42 AM
I believe it was bowlen who ultimately ordered him to be traded...But don't forget how the power structure works in Dove valley. Mr. B gives his coaches EVERYTHING they need to be successful.

If McDaniels went to him and said he had to have Jay to win, Cutler would still be a Bronco.

That didn't happen and fair or not, the pressure will be on McDaniel's to make this trade successful.

Thats why drafting a QB in the first next year should mean that someone was fired. Drafting a QB in the first next year is an admission that it has not been successful.

TheDave
09-02-2009, 08:44 AM
McKid started the whole thing by pissing down his leg for Cassell. If Coach Slapdick keeps his yap shut or actually pulls off the trade then the circus act is avoided. Instead he half yipped it into the bunker and spent the next few weeks polishing his turd so that he could get some value out of Cutler despite the fact he threw a good portion of his leverage out the window with his BS circus act. He managed then to get a first rounder out of the deal but pissed that away on a second round pick.

Bowlen, like usual, was just along for the ride. McKid is Bowlen's pick and Bowlen, being a good owner, is going to give his coach what the coach says he needs. This coach says he needed Cutler gone and Cutler went. Now we have the AbOrton lofting whiffle balls. We'll be seeing 8 in the box an awful lot this year. Maybe we should have kept that stable of 7 deep RBs.

This is the crux of the entire Jay/McDaniels argument... If McDaniels wanted Jay he would still be here.

He got what he wanted... now make it work.

TheDave
09-02-2009, 08:49 AM
Thats why drafting a QB in the first next year should mean that someone was fired. Drafting a QB in the first next year is an admission that it has not been successful.

Thats a fair statement... If the cutler trade ends up being

Cutler & the WR they drafted in the 5th round

-for-

Kyle Orton
Robert Ayers
1/2 of Richard Quinn
Tim Tebow (insert any college QB here)

That trade is a loss because we are still trying to replace the most important position on the field.

GoBroncos DownUnder
09-02-2009, 08:52 AM
That trade is a loss because we are still trying to replace the most important position on the field.

Huh? What happened to Clady?? ;)

bendog
09-02-2009, 09:03 AM
They don't have the ammo for a Tebow (or Javon Sneed) cause the Hoody traded Den's first rounder for a 5-9 corner who was projected as a second round talent.

TheDave
09-02-2009, 09:05 AM
They don't have the ammo for a Tebow (or Javon Sneed) cause the Hoody traded Den's first rounder for a 5-9 corner who was projected as a second round talent.

No we won't get a chance at the top 3 guys... but this should be a fairly deep draft so I expect some of the 2nd teir guys will slide down to us.

Rohirrim
09-02-2009, 09:12 AM
Even Wade Phillips got two years. We've got McD for at least that long. I still have hope.

RaiderH8r
09-02-2009, 09:14 AM

This just hurts my soul.

TheDave
09-02-2009, 09:17 AM
This just hurts my soul.

They won't draft a QB anyways... It would be 100% proof that the trade was a failure.

Bronco Yoda
09-02-2009, 09:20 AM
At this point I'm just glad that the season is starting.

Win or Lose... I gotta get my Bronco fix.

RaiderH8r
09-02-2009, 09:23 AM
They won't draft a QB anyways... It would be 100% proof that the trade was a failure.

You're right. We'll end up with Jimmy Claussen since he played for Charlie Weiss Latina and "knows the system". ;D

RaiderH8r
09-02-2009, 09:23 AM
At this point I'm just glad that the season is starting.

Win or Lose... I gotta get my Bronco fix.

Ain't that the truth. I'm like a battered wife, no matter how ****ty it is I keep coming back for more in the hopes that it will be better this time.

TheReverend
09-02-2009, 09:32 AM

He will NOT make it that far.

TheReverend
09-02-2009, 09:35 AM
Even Wade Phillips got two years. We've got McD for at least that long. I still have hope.

Wade didn't come in on off the street, get our successful personnel people fired, trade the franchise QB, lob darts at a draft board, and trade next years first in what currently appears to be a rebuilding year, either.

WolfpackGuy
09-02-2009, 09:41 AM
Wade didn't come in on off the street, get our successful personnel people fired, trade the franchise QB, lob darts at a draft board, and trade next years first in what currently appears to be a rebuilding year, either.

He did trade 1st rounders for (good) Gary Zimmerman and (decent) Mike Pritchard.
For all Wade's faults, at least he had the sense to build the team around it's best player.
Not trade him for Craig Erickson.

TheReverend
09-02-2009, 09:48 AM
He did trade 1st rounders for (good) Gary Zimmerman and (decent) Mike Pritchard.
For all Wade's faults, at least he had the sense to build the team around it's best player.

I think Wade did a great job at adding some extremely talented players... he just wasn't all that at coaching and seems to still be the case. But I thought Zimm was on the team pre-HC-Wade Phillips...

bendog
09-02-2009, 09:51 AM
Agreed. Not just Zim, but Habib and probably the best pass blocking RT of that time, Broderick Thompson.

Durango
09-02-2009, 09:52 AM
he talks about cutler as if he was god like. he was shut down for most of the game and got significantly more lucky to get that 98 yard drive than anything else. what a stupid ****ing article. if you want to know why more broncos are not in hte HOF, i give to you the reason. woody paige is the one who presents to the voters.

Cutler 8 for 12, 85 yards, 5.1 minutes- touchdown. 98 yards total. 13 plays Lead, 17-7

Yeah, absolutely. The luck of the Irish that crybaby nobody whoneedshim worthless wannabe. We'll show him, huh?

Anybody can lucky in only thirteen plays after starting from the two. It's a gimme.

TheDave
09-02-2009, 09:52 AM
He will NOT make it that far.

You really don't think he'll make it 2 years?

Barring an 0-16 season I think there is 0% chance he gets fired. As strange as it sounds, I think Bowlen likes this kid.

Now if Gary Kubiac becomes available then things change.

TheReverend
09-02-2009, 09:53 AM
I think Wade did a great job at adding some extremely talented players... he just wasn't all that at coaching and seems to still be the case. But I thought Zimm was on the team pre-HC-Wade Phillips...

Nevermind. Wade's first season in 1993 was when he traded for Zimm. My mistake.

bendog
09-02-2009, 09:54 AM
Barring an 0-16 season I think there is 0% chance he gets fired. As strange as it sounds, I think Bowlen likes this kid.
-
it's gotta be that short term memory thing. Pat keeps thinking back to his first impression (-:

Tombstone RJ
09-02-2009, 09:55 AM

A bit harsh. Let's see how the team gells come regular season. They'll struggle no doubt, but will they get better, will the team be better in December than it is in September? I hope so, and I think you hope so too.

TheReverend
09-02-2009, 09:58 AM
You really don't think he'll make it 2 years?

Now if Gary Kubiac becomes available then things change.

Absolutely not. I'll be completely shocked if he manages to be "successful" enough to keep his job, in all honesty.

No one else has made the bed he's about to lie down in. He'll deal with the consequences. And the lack of compensation next season via the draft.... that trade makes the Pats-49ers Staley-7th overall look brilliant (Nolan could've thrown Josh some advice there, eh?)

WolfpackGuy
09-02-2009, 09:58 AM
I'm pretty sure Zimm literally came right before the season started in 1993.
Agreed, Phillips wasn't (and still isn't) all that as an HC, but several guys he had on defense were at the tail ends of their careers during his 2 years in Denver.
Amazingly, the defenses of 2007 and 2008 were worse than those!

TheReverend
09-02-2009, 10:00 AM
A bit harsh. Let's see how the team gells come regular season. They'll struggle no doubt, but will they get better, will the team be better in December than it is in September? I hope so, and I think you hope so too.

Of course I hope so, but will it be enough to beat:

13 Dec 06 DEN @ KC Arrowhead Stadium 1:00 PM Tickets CBS 706

14 Dec 13 DEN @ IND Lucas Oil Stadium 1:00 PM Tickets CBS 704

15 Dec 20 OAK @ DEN Invesco Field at Mile High 4:05 PM Tickets CBS 713

16 Dec 27 DEN @ PHI Lincoln Financial Field 1:00 PM Tickets CBS 709

One home game that month, 2 SB contenders.

GoBroncos DownUnder
09-02-2009, 10:02 AM

What did we pay for Rod Bernstein and Anthony Miller?
Pretty sure Miller cost us a FIRST?!?!

WolfpackGuy
09-02-2009, 10:05 AM
What did we pay for Rod Bernstein and Anthony Miller?
Pretty sure Miller cost us a FIRST?!?!

They were free agents.
Rod came in 1993.
Miller came in 1994.
The first year (1993) was unrestricted without a SALARY CAP.
And people wonder why God told Reggie to go to GB...

errand
09-02-2009, 04:20 PM

The other day i ran into a guy i've known for a few years...he told me he had gotten divorced from his wife of 13 years.

He admitted he had given her some reasons to divorce him like a one night stand while out of town, and they argued over her family and money quite frequently towards the end...and that the kids are taking it badly.

But he takes solace in the fact that his oldest child said that while his dad was a part of the problem....the mom is the one who decided to leave. she could have done numerous of things to make the marriage work...but chose not to.

She didn't have to leave her husband and her kids...she chose to

Jay didn't have to demand a trade...he chose to.

baja
09-02-2009, 04:34 PM
The other day i ran into a guy i've known for a few years...he told me he had gotten divorced from his wife of 13 years.

He admitted he had given her some reasons to divorce him like a one night stand while out of town, and they argued over her family and money quite frequently towards the end...and that the kids are taking it badly.

But he takes solace in the fact that his oldest child said that while his dad was a part of the problem....the mom is the one who decided to leave. she could have done numerous of things to make the marriage work...but chose not to.

I always knew jay was a disgruntled house wife.

uplink
09-02-2009, 04:44 PM
Woody and Kisla must have been watching some Monty Python lately. Kisla used the black knight its only a flesh wound analogy in his recent story complaining about McD injury reporting.

lex
09-02-2009, 10:36 PM

Thats such a lame analogy. Good grief.

Seriously, seeing stuff like this kind of makes you wonder what kind of analogies the bushmen of the kalahari come up with. You might as well throw their every day life experiences into the mix too while where throwing spaghetti.

SoCalBronco
09-02-2009, 10:43 PM
Dave,

I don't think the main reason is that Bowlen likes him. I'm sure he does like the kid, but I think the big thing is that he really wants to avoid a situation where he's constantly paying multiple head coaches, especially since he's become rather miserly the last few years (from 2004-2008, DEN was 5th best in wins per dollar spent....which says alot given that for 60% of that span, we were .500).

I agree that barring a complete collapse (ie something like 2-14 or 3-13), he's going to get that 2nd year just because of financial issues, if nothing else.

TDmvp
09-02-2009, 11:18 PM
http://rlv.zcache.com/josh_mcdaniels_ruiner_tshirt-p235672401333394217troh_210.jpg

TDmvp
09-02-2009, 11:24 PM
it's pretty funny if you start typing Josh Mcdaniels into google it finishes it for you and has a bunch of Josh Mcdaniels searches

josh mcdaniels bio
josh mcdaniels patriots
josh mcdaniels yelling at bill belichick
josh mcdaniels wiki
josh mcdaniels broncos
josh mcdaniels is an idiot

TheReverend
09-02-2009, 11:26 PM
it's pretty funny if you start typing Josh Mcdaniels into google it finishes it for you and has a bunch of Josh Mcdaniels searches

josh mcdaniels bio
josh mcdaniels patriots
josh mcdaniels yelling at bill belichick
josh mcdaniels wiki
josh mcdaniels broncos
josh mcdaniels is an idiot

Oh dude if you continue scrolling for like 20 secs you find:

josh mcdaniels can fit 4 feet of dick down his throat and thats how he got the job

watermock
09-02-2009, 11:51 PM
I better wash off...

TheReverend
09-03-2009, 12:10 AM

To add to this, RE the original: "Even Wade Phillips Got 2 years!"

Wade also went 9-7 in 93... And got fired one year later after a 7-9 season

So anyone who thinks Josh is gonna get patience with a ****ty season, think again.

He's punched his ticket, and honestly, there's a pretty solid chance Nolan IS calling the shots by December.

watermock
09-03-2009, 12:20 AM
At lesat we got those 2 Firsts, right?

I mean...we should be set with those 3 firsts on D, right?

Popps told us, build from the inside out.

But isn't like at QB?