PDA

View Full Version : Goodell: NFL teams could face TV blackouts

HEAV
09-01-2009, 12:05 PM
ASHBURN, Va. – Roger Goodell says it'll be a challenge for the Jacksonville Jaguars and some other clubs to avoid television blackouts this season.

The NFL commissioner visited the Washington Redskins players and coaches. Speaking about the Jaguars, who the Redskins play on the road Thursday in their final preseason game, Goodell said the club is "one of the markets where we're seeing some challenges from ticket sales coming into the 2009 season."

Goodell said the league has been working with clubs to find more creative ways to entice fans to the games during the economic downturn.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090901/ap_on_sp_fo_ne/fbn_goodell_blackouts_1

Up to four times the number of NFL teams are at risk of having at least one of their games blacked out locally when the season begins next week compared with last year, the latest sign the down economy is taking a toll on even America’s most popular sport, the SportBusiness Journal reports.

According to NFL and team sources, the league showed club owners at their meeting in Chicago on Wednesday a video slide with the names of 10 to 12 teams that may not sell out every game. A game that is not sold out within 72 hours of kickoff cannot be broadcast locally.

Last year, only three teams — Oakland, Detroit and St. Louis — suffered blackouts. Collectively, those three teams had nine games blacked out, just one more than the eight regular-season games the Jacksonville Jaguars alone are expecting to contribute to this year’s total. The Jaguars have already said that in all likelihood no contest in their eight-game home schedule will sell out this season.

The Cincinnati Bengals also could land in the blackout category this year.

The team's 44-game streak of selling out home regular season and playoff games is in jeopardy. As of mid-August, the team had several thousand tickets available for each of several home games, Jeff Berding, Bengals director of sales and public affairs, told the Business Courier in an Aug. 21 article.

The Bengals failed to sell out either of their two home pre-season games in time to avoid blackouts. And plenty of tickets are left for their opening game, Sept. 13 against Denver.

Despite the difficulty that one-third of the league’s teams is having selling out, the NFL is not contemplating amending the blackout rule, which has been in place 36 years.

“There is no consideration being given to amending the blackout policy,” wrote NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy, in an e-mail. “The policy is important in supporting the ability of the clubs to sell tickets and keeping our games attractive as television programming with large crowds so we can keep all our games on free TV.”

NFL on TV
The NFL last year saw 96 percent of its games broadcast locally, with only nine of 256 regular-season games being blacked out.

Sean McManus, president of CBS Sports and CBS News, said last week that NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell told him that “he is not going to make any major adjustment to a rule that has lasted a long time just because of a short-term economic problem.”

When asked if CBS had concerns about blacked-out games, McManus said, “I don’t think there is any way they are going to change it, so it is pointless to talk to them about it.”

The identity of all the teams that were on the list displayed to owners is unclear, though certainly the Jaguars, Lions, Raiders and Rams have challenges. Other teams that have shown signs of struggling to sell out games ahead of the start of this season include San Diego, Miami and Minnesota, though less so now for the Vikings since the signing of Brett Favre.

What is also is surprising is the number of teams that historically have had long waiting lists and been locks for sellouts that have not fully moved all their tickets. The New York Jets just last week launched a viral marketing campaign sent to prospective ticket buyers that inserts a fan’s name into a personalized video of players and executives talking about that fan as the team’s prized acquisition. The video pitch is also accessible online, via jointhejets.com. The Dolphins have sent a similar video to potential ticket buyers.

The Kansas City Chiefs, another team with deep fan ties, also has not fully sold out all their games.

Many teams avoided blackouts in past years by having local sponsors or other companies buy up any remaining inventory, but some of those companies may not be able to afford to do so in these economic times. In addition, in some cases, the number of tickets available is more than just a few thousand.

While the prospects for this season may be dampened, historically the league is still in great shape. Only in 2002 did the league first reach the 90 percent mark for games selling out. In the 1970s, when the blackout rule was first established, more than half of the games routinely did not sell out. The league did better in the 1980s, and by the 1990s, on average about six to seven games out of 10 made their way onto local TV. By 2007, the league hit its high water mark of 97 percent, with 13 out of 17 weeks entirely sold out and only seven of the regular season’s 256 games blacked out.

http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/stories/2009/08/31/daily19.html

Rohirrim
09-01-2009, 12:07 PM
Let's see: We have a team in Jacksonville and none in Los Angeles. What's wrong with this picture?

DomCasual
09-01-2009, 12:08 PM
Then move some of the worst-offending teams. It's supply and demand. If the demand isn't there, find a place where it is. If it isn't anywhere, then contract.

Sorry, that's business.

bendog
09-01-2009, 12:11 PM
Isn't there soemthig to the league not wanting to really move back to LA, because when they have a dreadful team three ... cough, choke faide ... then it messes up how many people in LA actually watch the advertisers' ads.

ghwk
09-01-2009, 12:12 PM
Umm here's a novel idea, lower the frigging ticket prices. That's business too.

s0phr0syne
09-01-2009, 12:16 PM
Does anyone know the numbers on how much revenue is actually generated by ticket sales versus the huge television contracts that the NFL has with the major networks?

I have a tough time imagining that the majority of profit doesn't come from TV and its associated advertisements....but I haven't actually looked at the numbers.

Tombstone RJ
09-01-2009, 12:20 PM
If you have NFL Sunday Ticket and live in Jacksonville, you still get the game right?

Dendave
09-01-2009, 12:23 PM
bare with me, and my first comment is going to get laughs, but as I have mentioned before I am a football fan.

I am a Lion season ticket holder.

The people next to me gave up their seats this year, I went to the box office Saturday (they had been advertising single game tickets went on sale Thursday)before the game and asked if I could buy the two tickets for the Cleveland game (brother lives in Cleveland) that are next to me. They told me NO. I said why not? They said they are saving them for 2 game, 4 game packages or season tickets. I said you have got to be kidding me, I am willing to pay for two tickets, next to me and you won't sell them to me? I guess Stub Hub or some other ticket broker will get them and resell them...

Now I know it's the Lions, but still if someone is willing to buy a ticket SELL IT TO THEM

Dendave
09-01-2009, 12:24 PM
If you have NFL Sunday Ticket and live in Jacksonville, you still get the game right?

No you don't

HEAV
09-01-2009, 12:31 PM

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/contentPage.jsp?assetId=900046

Blackout Rules for Local Team Home Games
A regular-season, Sunday afternoon home team game will be blacked out in a home team's territory if the game fails to sell out at least 72 hours before the game. If it is blacked out on your local broadcast station, it will also be blacked out in your area on NFL SUNDAY TICKET.

-------------

Ouch!

Bronx33
09-01-2009, 12:32 PM
They better not black out one KC game! the humor ratings alone should warrant airtime.

Tombstone RJ
09-01-2009, 12:37 PM

A regular-season, Sunday afternoon home team game will be blacked out in a home team's territory if the game fails to sell out at least 72 hours before the game. If it is blacked out on your local broadcast station, it will also be blacked out in your area on NFL SUNDAY TICKET.

-------------

Ouch!

That sucks. So, you pay DTV to watch the game and DTV pays the NFL huge money for the rights to broadcast the games, yet the guy sitting on the couch still gets screwed...

I'd insist on getting my money back from DTV. I don't care what the small print says, that ain't right. You've paid for the service, regardless of a teams ticket sales.

In fact, I bet a good lawyer can destroy this policy and sue DTV for violation of contract and missrepresentation of product.

cutthemdown
09-01-2009, 12:38 PM
Gotta move the Jags to LA

SonOfLe-loLang
09-01-2009, 12:40 PM
That sucks. So, you pay DTV to watch the game and DTV pays the NFL huge money for the rights to broadcast the games, yet the guy sitting on the couch still gets screwed...

I'd insist on getting my money back from DTV. I don't care what the small print says, that ain't right. You've paid for the service, regardless of a teams ticket sales.

In fact, I bet a good lawyer can destroy this policy and sue DTV for violation of contract and missrepresentation of product.

ive bitched about this to directv before and they usually give you something for free. I can't stand when the broncos are joined in progress halfway through the 1st quarter because the other national game runs long. It drives me insane.

lazarus4444
09-01-2009, 12:43 PM
If you are local and its going to be blacked out, just go to the game?

Tombstone RJ
09-01-2009, 12:45 PM
ive b****ed about this to directv before and they usually give you something for free. I can't stand when the broncos are joined in progress halfway through the 1st quarter because the other national game runs long. It drives me insane.

That ain't right. DTV should broadcast the game when it starts! If it's a "national" game and the broadcast is delayed (it almost always is and I FREAKING HATE CBS FOR IT) then you should be able to turn it on to DTV and get the game, period.

DTV should allow the end consumer to watch that game for the first half on DTV, then shut it down so the consumer has to watch it on the CBS channel.

Total BS.

atomicbloke
09-01-2009, 12:45 PM

Hilarious!Hilarious!Hilarious!Hilarious!

Garcia Bronco
09-01-2009, 12:46 PM
Here's a way to entice fans to the games....cut the marketing bull**** and lower prices.

Tombstone RJ
If you are local and its going to be blacked out, just go to the game?

What if you can't? What if that is why you paid for NFL Sunday Ticket to begin with?

SonOfLe-loLang
That ain't right. DTV should broadcast the game when it starts! If it's a "national" game and the broadcast is delayed (it almost always is and I FREAKING HATE CBS FOR IT) then you should be able to turn it on to DTV and get the game, period.

DTV should allow the end consumer to watch that game for the first half on DTV, then shut it down so the consumer has to watch it on the CBS channel.

Total BS.

I actually think they used to do that...though perhaps im recalling incorrectly. regardless, agreed, its bull****.

bendog
09-01-2009, 12:47 PM
ive b****ed about this to directv before and they usually give you something for free. I can't stand when the broncos are joined in progress halfway through the 1st quarter because the other national game runs long. It drives me insane.

--
With that I agree. It makes no sense to me. I understand blacking out a local market that hasn't sold out. You don't pay the direct ticket price to avoid longstanding black out rules. You pay the direct ticket price to watch your team when you live out of the local market, and you're sick of seeing the focking Pats 10 out of 16 focking weeks. The same ads run on the out of market games that run on the focking Pats, so it makes no sense to deprive a guy of seeing his favorite team just cause the focking Pats are running up the focking score on the focking Jets or somebody

Garcia Bronco
09-01-2009, 12:48 PM

If you live in the town...why would you need DTV?

atomicbloke
09-01-2009, 12:49 PM
Blackout rules for DTV should be amended.

The NFL is still 2 decades behind when it comes to modern marketing and policies. Its very popular and is a cash cow, so it doesn't feel the pinch of being so backward thinking.

But still they are missing out on a lot of potential revenue by not leveraging modern marketing principles.

There is a gold mine in the foreign fan market, but the NFL is too grumpy and stodgy to recognize and exploit it.

Blak-Argentina's thread a few days back is a start example.

Tombstone RJ
09-01-2009, 12:53 PM
If you live in the town...why would you need DTV?

Because you want to watch all the other games too. Because you have to work from home on Sundays and your can't leave for a game. Because you want all the games in HD. Because your disabled and it costs less to buy NFL Sunday Ticket than to deal with going to the actual game. Because your the freaking bubble boy, I dunno, it just seems silly to me that someone pays for a service but does not receive that service due to lack of ticket sales.

Tombstone RJ
09-01-2009, 01:00 PM
I actually think they used to do that...though perhaps im recalling incorrectly. regardless, agreed, its bull****.

The ironic thing about this is that when I lived in Denver, even if the first game went long (the 11:00am game) the local network would still switch to the Broncos game.

Oh, it pissed off non Broncos fans badly, esp. if the 11:00am game was good, but fuggem, it's Broncos time.

Also, the local network would flash back to the first game to for highlights and key plays.

The local network did all that for free, yet DTV can't do this yet your paying for the broadcast?

ColoradoDarin
09-01-2009, 01:16 PM
Well we just moved to Jax last month, so is this a good thing for me that the games will be blacked out? I'll still see another game right, just not the Jags? I'm fine with that. I will be getting DTV when we close on a house, and there is a sports bar within walking distance to watch the Broncos in the meantime.

According to the schedules I've seen, we're playing @ Jax next year. That's a game I will definitely be attending!

Hercules Rockefeller
09-01-2009, 01:17 PM
The ironic thing about this is that when I lived in Denver, even if the first game went long (the 11:00am game) the local network would still switch to the Broncos game.

They're contractually obligated to switch over because it's a home market.

bendog
09-01-2009, 01:25 PM
yeah, say I'm a car dealer and I buy an ad on the local station, the nfl can't very well let somebody switch to a out of market network affiliate when I bought the ad time.

Bugged the hell out of me, though.

dbfan21
09-01-2009, 01:38 PM

Total BS.

I totally agree with you here, Tombstone. It's ridiculous!! You should get what you pay for.

Irish Stout
09-01-2009, 01:40 PM
Does anyone know the numbers on how much revenue is actually generated by ticket sales versus the huge television contracts that the NFL has with the major networks?

I have a tough time imagining that the majority of profit doesn't come from TV and its associated advertisements....but I haven't actually looked at the numbers.

I calculate that tickets at $60 for 70,000 seats (granted there are seats for more and less, but a guess at what the average is - Broncos average is closer to $70/seat) comes out to $4.2 Million in income per game. I couldn't tell you the revenue from network tv.

s0phr0syne
09-01-2009, 01:48 PM

Oh, it pissed off non Broncos fans badly, esp. if the 11:00am game was good, but fuggem, it's Broncos time.

Also, the local network would flash back to the first game to for highlights and key plays.

The local network did all that for free, yet DTV can't do this yet your paying for the broadcast?

Logistically, it sounds like DTV is piggy-backing off of the regional network broadcasts to provide total coverage of NFL games. In that sense, they can't really control their feed, as it's not the same as the local feed.

But that's just me guessing. I do agree that if you're paying for a service like DTV, you should be able to watch all of EVERY/ANY game that you want.

s0phr0syne
09-01-2009, 01:50 PM
I calculate that tickets at $60 for 70,000 seats (granted there are seats for more and less, but a guess at what the average is - Broncos average is closer to $70/seat) comes out to $4.2 Million in income per game. I couldn't tell you the revenue from network tv.

Thanks for doing that calc. I mean, even when games are not sold out, it's not as though the club is getting zero return, i.e. taking a $4 million dollar hit. They're still making whatever sold, plus the shared NFL revenue, which I suspect is massive.

lod01
09-01-2009, 01:53 PM
Let's see: We have a team in Jacksonville and none in Los Angeles. What's wrong with this picture?

They can black out Jax all day long. Who cares. They suck. Garrabage is a waste of time and WR destroyer.

Dendave
09-01-2009, 02:15 PM
Thanks for doing that calc. I mean, even when games are not sold out, it's not as though the club is getting zero return, i.e. taking a $4 million dollar hit. They're still making whatever sold, plus the shared NFL revenue, which I suspect is massive.

plus concessions

Beantown Bronco
09-01-2009, 02:19 PM
plus concessions

and parking

bpc
09-01-2009, 03:27 PM
Nothing is ever blacked out on Justin TV. Just sayin.

GoBroncos DownUnder
09-01-2009, 09:20 PM
bare with me, and my first comment is going to get laughs, but as I have mentioned before I am a football fan.

The people next to me gave up their seats this year, I went to the box office Saturday (they had been advertising single game tickets went on sale Thursday)before the game and asked if I could buy the two tickets for the Cleveland game (brother lives in Cleveland) that are next to me. They told me NO. I said why not? They said they are saving them for 2 game, 4 game packages or season tickets. I said you have got to be kidding me, I am willing to pay for two tickets, next to me and you won't sell them to me? I guess Stub Hub or some other ticket broker will get them and resell them...

Now I know it's the Lions, but still if someone is willing to buy a ticket SELL IT TO THEM
Agreed.:notworthy
Too many teams have lost touch with their local community, and DO NOT care about their local economy. Fact is that an NFL franchise is either a massive BOOM or a massive DRAIN on local business.
Economics is simple: if local business is doing well, people are going to spend money on "excesses" like football games. NFL team execs won't acknowledge this though, they're too busy covering their own asses, spouting **** like "the economy is bad, we can't help that."
I live in Pittsburgh, and would LOVE to go to the season opener in Cincinnati, but that ticket comes in a "two pack" ... with a Browns @ Cinci ticket ... ARE YOU FOR ****ING REAL?? What kind of a Homer-esque marketing MORON came up with that idea?
Needless to say I'm not going.

IMO, as far as marketing goes, the Denver Broncos are PERFECT. Why?
Single Game Tickets! I'm flying in for the Pittsburgh game, with my wife and 2 others. I also know of about 10 others who will travel to Denver for the Steeler game. How many more Steeler fans will be in Denver - eating, staying in hotels, taking taxis, drinking away the pain of their LOSS, etc, etc.:wiggle:
Regardless of the game result, the main reason these out of town fans are going, and boosting Denver's local economy ... is because they GOT THE TICKETS THEY WANTED! Minimal effort, no scalpers, no stub-hub.

It sounds simple enough, maybe too simple for these "mighty" NFL franchises,
I mean what would I know after seeing 30+ NCAA/NFL games in 10+ states.

Maybe a blackout is GOOD, maybe they'll wake up, ... I won't hold my breath, but I like to hope, maybe ... ? 8')

PaintballCLE
09-01-2009, 09:55 PM
Too many teams have lost touch with their local community, and DO NOT care about their local economy. Fact is that an NFL franchise is either a massive BOOM or a massive DRAIN on local business.
Economics is simple: if local business is doing well, people are going to spend money on "excesses" like football games. NFL team execs won't acknowledge this though, they're too busy covering their own asses, spouting **** like "the economy is bad, we can't help that."
I live in Pittsburgh, and would LOVE to go to the season opener in Cincinnati, but that ticket comes in a "two pack" ... with a Browns @ Cinci ticket ... ARE YOU FOR ****ING REAL?? What kind of a Homer-esque marketing MORON came up with that idea?

Single Game Tickets! I'm flying in for the Pittsburgh game, with my wife and 2 others. I also know of about 10 others who will travel to Denver for the Steeler game. How many more Steeler fans will be in Denver - eating, staying in hotels, taking taxis, drinking away the pain of their LOSS, etc, etc.:wiggle:
Regardless of the game result, the main reason these out of town fans are going, and boosting Denver's local economy ... is because they GOT THE TICKETS THEY WANTED! Minimal effort, no scalpers, no stub-hub.

Maybe a blackout is GOOD, maybe they'll wake up, ... I won't hold my breath, but I like to hope, maybe ... ? 8')

333seat.com aka riverchoice tickets a local ticket broker in cinci has tickets for under face value......so we will see you there! haha

HEAV
09-01-2009, 10:05 PM
Nothing is ever blacked out on Justin TV. Just sayin.

Werd! :thumbsup:

GoBroncos DownUnder
09-01-2009, 10:06 PM
333seats.com aka riverchoice tickets a local ticket broker in cinci has tickets for under face value......so we will see you there! haha
That site re-directs me to other sites, like stubhub, NFLsocial, etc... WTF?

PaintballCLE
09-01-2009, 10:08 PM
That site re-directs me to other sites, like stubhub, NFLsocial, etc... WTF?

DOH........its 333seat.com (no s)

http://www.333seat.com/sports/nfl/bengals_tickets.htm

my bad try that one

ZONA
09-01-2009, 10:21 PM
Logistically, it sounds like DTV is piggy-backing off of the regional network broadcasts to provide total coverage of NFL games. In that sense, they can't really control their feed, as it's not the same as the local feed.

But that's just me guessing. I do agree that if you're paying for a service like DTV, you should be able to watch all of EVERY/ANY game that you want.

You got it dude. When you watch games on Sunday Ticket, all they are is a feed from that local/regional broadcast. You don't see different announcers calling the game. They pay rights to the NFL to broadcast the game and they pay NBC/CBS/ABC for their feed.

But what is BS is that the NFL has full control over this. Ok, so sales are bad for that home game for the Jags and by all means, black it out locally. But the game is still being played obviously and either ABC/CBS or NBC still has a live feed of the game and Sunday Ticket fans should not have their "payed for" service cut. Now, you can argue that the NFL doesn't want to go that route because more fans will start to buy Sunday Ticket instead of real tickets to the game but they are the ones who already went down that road by removing a ton of fan seats for luxury boxes and the ticket prices do nothing but escalate every year beyond what the average fan can afford anyway. Further more, if I'm a Bucs fan who lives in Ohio, my feed should not be blacked out because there was no way I could get to the game anyway. If they want to keep their blackout rule, then it should only apply to those fans who live in the city limits of where the game is being played.

PaintballCLE
09-01-2009, 10:24 PM
You got it dude. When you watch games on Sunday Ticket, all they are is a feed from that local/regional broadcast. You don't see different announcers calling the game. They pay rights to the NFL to broadcast the game and they pay NBC/CBS/ABC for their feed.

But what is BS is that the NFL has full control over this. Ok, so sales are bad for that home game for the Jags and by all means, black it out locally. But the game is still being played obviously and either ABC/CBS or NBC still has a live feed of the game and Sunday Ticket fans should not have their "payed for" service cut. Now, you can argue that the NFL doesn't want to go that route because more fans will start to buy Sunday Ticket instead of real tickets to the game but they are the ones who already went down that road by removing a ton of fan seats for luxury boxes and the ticket prices do nothing but escalate every year beyond what the average fan can afford anyway. Further more, if I'm a Bucs fan who lives in Ohio, my feed should not be blacked out because there was no way I could get to the game anyway. If they want to keep their blackout rule, then it should only apply to those fans who live in the city limits of where the game is being played.

it does, it only gets blacked out if you are in the local market

houghtam
09-01-2009, 10:43 PM

GBDU...Come on buddy, remember the Broncos Bengals game we went to in '03? Remember how it was practically a homefield advantage for the Broncos?

A lot of teams who have terrible records or rivals that travel really well have resorted to this. Cincinnati has been doing this for Pittsburgh games for several years because when the Steelers come to town there are more Terrible Towels than paper bags on people's heads. Ha!

Thing they don't realize is, a lot of those teams that travel so well have fans who are also willing to purchase two tickets knowing full well they'll never use the other one...but at least they're getting the ticket revenue!

ZONA
09-01-2009, 10:44 PM
it does, it only gets blacked out if you are in the local market

That sound right. But there is away around that. Your "home" market is dictated by the FCC and I can't remember the mileage figures but if you live outside of a certain distance to the area codes that the FCC states is your home market, then you can get the feeds from anywhere you want. I remember years ago when I tried to call DirecTV to get Denver local channels here in Phoenix (actually very east Mesa) because that was only $5 rather then having to pay the huge amount for Sunday Ticket and they said my area code was in the FCC's "home base" for the Phoenix market. I was pissed because my house is only 2 miles from an area code where it's not in the FCC home base for Phoenix. DOH. So what I used to do is take the 20 minute drive to the mother in laws house and take over the TV on sunday after noons. I of course paid the $5 bucks so they had Denver local TV in addition to the Phoenix local channels. It was nice. But they lost their home and that ended that.

SoCalBronco
09-01-2009, 10:51 PM
Gotta move the Jags to LA

Not realistic. Stadium costs are ballooning and no one is willing to pay it all. The City will not contribute anything. The most recent study that was done just discussing renovations to the Rose Bowl were significantly higher in cost than previously anticipated. It's not really realistic to have anyone here right now, unless the owner is willing to pay all costs associated with the stadium.

GoBroncos DownUnder
09-01-2009, 11:05 PM
GBDU...Come on buddy, remember the Broncos Bengals game we went to in '03? Remember how it was practically a homefield advantage for the Broncos?

Hey, I remember NOTHING after I jumped out of that moving vehicle, chasing some ass! Hilarious!

Thing they don't realize is, a lot of those teams that travel so well have fans who are also willing to purchase two tickets knowing full well they'll never use the other one...but at least they're getting the ticket revenue!
My point is that times are getting tougher! So (in this economy) it's easier to sell straight up "single game" tickets than it is to sell "multiple game" tickets, like the guy in Detroit pointed out.
Personally, of the 10 odd people I know going to Denver, (my guess is) maybe TWO of them would have gone if it was complicated to get tickets.

(Good to "hear" from you H!) :wave:

ZONA
09-01-2009, 11:27 PM
Not realistic. Stadium costs are ballooning and no one is willing to pay it all. The City will not contribute anything. The most recent study that was done just discussing renovations to the Rose Bowl were significantly higher in cost than previously anticipated. It's not really realistic to have anyone here right now, unless the owner is willing to pay all costs associated with the stadium.

So what's the status of all those celebs who were talking about going in on this together? They probably realized just how much money it was going to take and then looked at the whole picture and no way.

DeuceOfClub
09-01-2009, 11:45 PM
you can't watch local games on DirecTV's Sunday Ticket regardless.
Even if the game isn't blacked out.
every game that is schedule to air on the regular channels (CBS or FOX) will be removed from you Sunday Ticket channel line.

footstepsfrom#27
09-02-2009, 01:10 AM
The identity of all the teams that were on the list displayed to owners is unclear, though certainly the Jaguars, Lions, Raiders and Rams have challenges. Other teams that have shown signs of struggling to sell out games ahead of the start of this season include San Diego, Miami and Minnesota, though less so now for the Vikings since the signing of Brett Favre.
Wow...the Chargers? Ha!

Beantown Bronco
09-02-2009, 07:19 AM
Jacksonville is an embarrassment. They already cover 10-20,000 of the seats to specifically make it easier to "fill" the stadium and yet they're still dealing with empty seats. Unreal.

Rashomon
09-02-2009, 07:33 AM
Well we just moved to Jax last month, so is this a good thing for me that the games will be blacked out? I'll still see another game right, just not the Jags? I'm fine with that. I will be getting DTV when we close on a house, and there is a sports bar within walking distance to watch the Broncos in the meantime.

According to the schedules I've seen, we're playing @ Jax next year. That's a game I will definitely be attending!

I believe with DTV you will be able to see other games at the same time, but there will be no local broadcasts of any game that falls in a blacked-out games time slot.

WolfpackGuy
09-02-2009, 07:37 AM
Overall, tickets are too damn expensive.
However, Jacksonville is pretty cheap.
$36-595
http://www.stubhub.com/jacksonville-jaguars-tickets/

go_broncos
09-02-2009, 08:26 AM
In Jacksonville, most of them are looking forward for next year's draft.
They want to draft Tim Tebow.
They believe that that the team's weak link is at QB position.

It's funny as i believe Garrad is much better than Orton and Simms

GoBroncos DownUnder
09-02-2009, 08:31 AM
Overall, tickets are too damn expensive.
However, Jacksonville is pretty cheap.
$36-595
http://www.stubhub.com/jacksonville-jaguars-tickets/
Why go to StubHub when you can get them at FACE value from Ticketmaster, via the Jagoffs website!

Here's what I saw as "best available":
Section 136 (40yd line)
Row Z - Seats 14 - 13

LOWER LEVEL (1ST LEVEL OF 3 LEVELS)
EAST - SIDELINE
CLUB SEATING (INCLUDES LOWER & MEZZANINE LEVEL SEATS)

Ticket Price - US $260.00 x 2
Convenience Charge - US $6.25 x 2

Not bad, IMO.:wiggle:

broncocalijohn
09-03-2009, 12:54 AM
San Diego will have trouble this year selling out every game. With the economy sucking, their home schedule pretty much a turd and their notorious bandwagoning which had trouble selling out a PLAYOFF Game vs the Titans a few years back, I dumped my 50 season tickets this year. No way could I make up the money that the preseason games would put on me at $25 a ticket ($100 face value). SD cant tank this season (they should be in a cake walk for the division title) or they wont have any of the "fans" show up at the box office. Prices too high in many places.

Mediator12
09-03-2009, 07:04 AM
you can't watch local games on DirecTV's Sunday Ticket regardless.
Even if the game isn't blacked out.
every game that is schedule to air on the regular channels (CBS or FOX) will be removed from you Sunday Ticket channel line.

UM, This!

I find it hilarious that people think this is what Direct TV Sunday ticket DOES! DTV does NOT have the right to any local braodcasts in that market, EVER. Therefore, all the rest of this is just bitching.

It creates a major problem when they switch games to be broadcast locally, because the direct tv Channel will black out. SO, if you set to DVR on the direct TV line, you could miss the game. I bitched incessantly about this until they brought the 30 minute replays out a few years ago. Then, I get to skip all the damn commercials anyway!

Hogan11
09-03-2009, 07:15 AM
I'm just happy the Broncos don't have a late season Sunday night game because you know this is the year they'd be "flexed" out of it.

Mediator12
09-03-2009, 07:19 AM
I'm just happy the Broncos don't have a late season Sunday night game because you know this is the year they'd be "flexed" out of it.

You never Know, they could get one if the team they are playing is good ;D

GoBroncos DownUnder
09-03-2009, 07:22 AM
... I dumped my 50 season tickets this year. ...
Ouch! Sorry to hear, that's gotta hurt after having them THAT long. (I assume you got them off a family member?)

Hogan11
09-03-2009, 07:29 AM
You never Know, they could get one if the team they are playing is good ;D

I thought they wanted competitive games at that time slot, hence the whole flexing thing.....I could be wrong in that, but wasn't that the point?

Unless somehow these guys surprise, I just don't see it happening.

kamakazi_kal
09-03-2009, 08:01 AM
It's kind of like the NFL holding a gun to your head. With a poor economy and a cheap day at the stadium costing 200 dollars. Can't they give us a break for one year.

Not to mention I'm paying for sunday ticket and will not be getting my fantasy money worth and will be getting what could be a hard Broncos season to watch.......damn.

bfoflcommish
09-03-2009, 08:04 AM
No you don't

-------------

Ouch!

this is true for the most part, but if you have the superfan with the game mix channel you can view it at the same time as 7 other games. So will you see it on the big screen no, but in the small view of 8 games yes.

broncocalijohn
09-03-2009, 03:11 PM
Ouch! Sorry to hear, that's gotta hurt after having them THAT long. (I assume you got them off a family member?)

Nah, It would hurt worse to keep them this year ($50k) and sell them for around $40k. I had them as group tickets, then 2 game package, then they made me do the 4 game package and finally I was forced to buy the season tickets when they went back to the playoffs. Trust me, once they start sucking eggs again, they will be available. Great endzone seats but not worth the effort to sell 500 tickets in this economy. Not one person I contacted wanted them at face value.