PDA

View Full Version : Broncos cut 4 players

BMarsh615
09-01-2009, 11:48 AM
Kern wins Broncos punting job - Colquitt among four cuts. As was 7th round pick Blake Schlueter and vet TE Jeb Putzier. WR CJ Jones also cut

http://twitter.com/fs3142/status/3692965970

Anaximines
09-01-2009, 11:49 AM
Putz!

Doggcow
09-01-2009, 11:50 AM
WHY WAS COLQUITT CUT? HE WAS THE BEST OFFENSIVE WEAPON WE HAD OTHER THAN BRANDSTARTER! wtf

OABB
09-01-2009, 11:50 AM
wasn't it colquit who pinned the bears deep both times?

Tombstone RJ
09-01-2009, 11:51 AM
No room for Putz so I get that move. Colquit a bit suprising..

SonOfLe-loLang
09-01-2009, 11:51 AM

On the flip side, people would go crazy if Kern was cut and then we'd go into the season without an experienced punter who has shown the ability to be competent.

scorpio
09-01-2009, 11:53 AM
PutzierNextMustard

jhns
09-01-2009, 11:54 AM

I thought the first one was kern but I could be wrong.

gyldenlove
09-01-2009, 11:54 AM
Where are all the people who say that you have to live up to a contract once it is signed? All these 4 players had contracts, most of them signed by the Mcdaniels-Xanders regime.

bfoflcommish
09-01-2009, 11:55 AM
why colquitt? he looked perfectly fine!!!

crush17
09-01-2009, 11:55 AM
Where are all the people who say that you have to live up to a contract once it is signed? All these 4 players had contracts, most of them signed by the Mcdaniels-Xanders regime.

um, wat?

supermanhr9
09-01-2009, 11:56 AM
Wow,,, I thought colquitt was amazing. Kern is nothing spectacular. Who cares I guess,,, a punter is a punter.

RonDaChamp24
09-01-2009, 11:57 AM

Don't be stupid. The team is required t cut players to get down to 75 players on the roster. Well cut 22 more in about a week. Down to 53. 45 of those guys will suit up on Sundays.

CEH
09-01-2009, 11:58 AM
My guess is that after 4 weeks of tape they decided to go with Kern.
Give Colquitt a chance to catch on with another team and maybe kick in another preseason game before final cuts

s0phr0syne
09-01-2009, 11:59 AM
Both Kern and Colquitt are very good punters. I'm glad we kept Kern, because I was concerned with why we had brought Colquitt into camp even...Kern was really great for us throughout all of last year.

But, I see that Colquitt was good as well. I see his early release as a favor to allow him to catch on with another team. Maybe the same with Putz? Lots of teams have been hit hard at TE this preseason by injuries.

ghwk
09-01-2009, 11:59 AM

Really, do you think before you post?

s0phr0syne
09-01-2009, 12:00 PM
Don't be stupid. The team is required t cut players to get down to 75 players on the roster. Well cut 22 more in about a week. Down to 53. 45 of those guys will suit up on Sundays.

he's not saying that. He's just bringing up the point that players get cut despite having contracts and that these guys potentially might not get another dime.

I'm pretty sure he's just saying that the business side of things works both ways and that people shouldn't jump all over players for wanting as much as they can get when they can get it--but I don't want to put words in his mouth.

tsiguy96
09-01-2009, 12:01 PM
yet another idiot trying to turn this into an anti-mcdaniels post. wtf is wrong with you people

Florida_Bronco
09-01-2009, 12:04 PM
Colquitt had one good punt on Sunday and nothing beyond that, plus he had a rep of being a douchebag in college. I'm glad we kept Kern.

55CrushEm
09-01-2009, 12:06 PM
yet another idiot trying to turn this into an anti-mcdaniels post. wtf is wrong with you people

Gotta agree. As if Shanny was exempt from having to cut people under contract. ALL teams must cut to 75, then to 53.....and ALL of those players that get cut have (had) contracts, otherwise they wouldn't be in training camp.

But I guess McD is the only "evil bastard" that cuts people under contract......

Yes, his was one of the dumbest posts ever.....

crush17
09-01-2009, 12:07 PM

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tAlVKgl_zCQ&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tAlVKgl_zCQ&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

s0phr0syne
09-01-2009, 12:08 PM
So we're hoping Schlueter makes it through and we can PS his ass, right?

Popcorn Sutton
09-01-2009, 12:08 PM

http://i323.photobucket.com/albums/nn472/rgault00/th_thumb_2WSIKGT7A4KFXHKCZSWW7MWWJ4OME.jpg

BroncoBuff
09-01-2009, 12:11 PM

Why do you and Popps spend so much time and effort to complain so bitterly ... just because people disagree with you?

That's a real weakness. Why are you so defensive that people differ with you?

Popcorn Sutton
Colquitt had one good punt on Sunday and nothing beyond that, plus he had a rep of being a douchebag in college. I'm glad we kept Kern.

Same here. Kern had a solid rookie season and he's only going to get better.

tsiguy96

if he makes it through he will def go to PS

SoDak Bronco
09-01-2009, 12:19 PM
They probably released him in hopes that he could catch on with another team. His agent and him probably requested it unless he was going to win the job, which he hasn't been able to beat out Kern.

cutthemdown
09-01-2009, 12:21 PM
WHY WAS COLQUITT CUT? HE WAS THE BEST OFFENSIVE WEAPON WE HAD OTHER THAN BRANDSTARTER! wtf

you just don't know what to look for. Face it your not very smart when it comes to football. Just realize that and sit back and watch. Turn in your armchair coach membership and stop playing madden football for 8 hours a day.

Kern gets ball off noticeably faster then Colquit and has a measurable hangtime advantage.

Also he is more consistent and was the incumbent.

Only an idiot would go with colquitt because of a couple kicks that really landed good for him. Kern may not look as sexy but overall the better punter.

BroncoBuff
09-01-2009, 12:22 PM
you just don't know what to look for. Face it your not very smart when it comes to football. Just realize that and sit back and watch. Turn in your armchair coach membership and stop playing madden football for 8 hours a day.

Kern gets ball off noticeably faster then Colquit and has a measurable hangtime advantage.

Only an idiot would go with colquitt because of a couple kicks that really landed good for him. Kern may not look as sexy but overall the better punter.

Don't care for your angry hostility. but you're right.

Kern set a franchise punt-distance avg in 2008.

Man-Goblin
09-01-2009, 12:25 PM
Colquit has past baggage, as well. He'll probably catch on somewhere, though, as he showed he has some game.

Hercules Rockefeller
09-01-2009, 12:43 PM
Colquitt had one good punt on Sunday and nothing beyond that.

and Jack Williams still trades on one play from preseason last year and he got a nickname for it, why can't Colquitt trade on one good punt too?

Dos Rios
09-01-2009, 01:30 PM

You'd think we'd wait until the 2nd round of cuts if that's the strategy. This is the cut that surprises me most. Hopefully it means they really like Lichtensteiger.

cutthemdown
09-01-2009, 01:34 PM
Don't care for your angry hostility. but you're right.

Kern set a franchise punt-distance avg in 2008.

I'm sick of people acting all surprised and aghast at moves that are totally normal.

I'm just so over people who know nothing acting like they are so sure this is the studidest move ever, what are they thinking, oh god no colquitt this regime is dumb ARRRRRG

That's why I was rude, because people are being stupid and I am sick of it.

Florida_Bronco
09-01-2009, 01:43 PM
You'd think we'd wait until the 2nd round of cuts if that's the strategy. This is the cut that surprises me most. Hopefully it means they really like Lichtensteiger.

He'll probably end up on the PS.

broncswin
09-01-2009, 01:50 PM

Didn't kern set a franchise record for net punts at home last year...that might be why.

MaloCS
09-01-2009, 01:52 PM

:notworthy Bwaaahhaaaa!!!!! True, so true! Where are all of the "contract" kool-aid drinkers? Oh... I get it. Contracts are only expected to be upheld by labor.

crush17
09-01-2009, 02:07 PM
jesus tapdancing christ.

get the eff out of here.

Donk
09-01-2009, 02:19 PM

A team can void a contract at any time.

When a player signs a contract it's like going the wrong way down a one way street.

Don't sigh don't play.

cutthemdown
09-01-2009, 02:22 PM

maybe but sometimes you wait until teams rosters more set. That way they wont steal your players.

To steal them though they have to put them on regular season roster I think.

PRBronco
09-01-2009, 02:23 PM
Did anyone watch Schlueter play so far in the preseason? I assumed we'll PS him, but quite frankly I haven't heard anything about him, maybe they won't bring him back?

UberBroncoMan
09-01-2009, 03:15 PM
Quitt's gona be something special. Unfortunately though Kern is also damn good.

I remember though last year we kept Prater... and the dude we cut ended up in New Orleans where he kicked I believe 13-13 lol.

Bronx33
09-01-2009, 03:16 PM
PutzierNextMustard

lmao!

Mogulseeker
09-01-2009, 03:17 PM
Colquit was a surprising move. He's looked very good for us at punter.

broncosteven
09-01-2009, 03:20 PM
Why do you and Popps spend so much time and effort to complain so bitterly ... just because people disagree with you?

That's a real weakness. Why are you so defensive that people differ with you?

Because there is no room for anyone questioning the Broncos HC moves in UnicornHappyLand.

Pick Six
09-01-2009, 03:21 PM

Where did that come from? All these players signed contracts. The team has to get down to 53 players...like every other team...

broncosteven
09-01-2009, 03:22 PM
Colquit was a surprising move. He's looked very good for us at punter.

Who say's we need a punter? the 2007 Pat's didn't need a punter, every drive is going to end in a TD or a FG, but more likely a TD.

missingnumber7
09-01-2009, 03:36 PM
Are we really arguing about a punter?

broncosteven
09-01-2009, 03:40 PM
Are we really arguing about a punter?

There are a couple threads about who our next HC will be, which QB should be drafted to take the #1 job, and people wanting to see more of our #3 QB.

Rebuilding sucks

elsid13
09-01-2009, 03:44 PM
Because there is no room for anyone questioning the Broncos HC moves in UnicornHappyLand.

For the record I have copy righted UnicornHappyLand so you owe me money for it use. :approve:

cousinal11
09-01-2009, 03:45 PM
Who cares guys, it's a punter?

Besides, we probably will only punt it 8-12 times all year? :~ohyah!:

Tombstone RJ
09-01-2009, 03:56 PM

Now your talk'n! :sunshine:

errand
09-01-2009, 04:42 PM

First off, the contract is contingent on them making the team.....and all of those contracts have clauses that give these players severance pay. Not to mention signing bonuses are the only guaranteed monies in a contract.

R8R H8R
09-01-2009, 05:10 PM
Colquitt punted real well this last Sunday, but overall the competition has been real close. With that being the case, you take the one that is the least character concern--that's Kern.

Seems simple to me, but that's just me.

gtown
09-01-2009, 06:04 PM

Only because we are gonna have a -50 turnover differential. Who needs a punter when we fumble or throw and interception every other possession?

TotallyScrewed
09-01-2009, 07:46 PM

Haha...but that's different.

orinjkrush
09-01-2009, 07:52 PM
is there a reason why BMarsh is not on the depth chart as of today?

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=134

does suspension remove you from the depth chart?

oubronco
09-01-2009, 07:58 PM
I heard on 104.3 the fan today they said that Mcdaniels is favoring the Pats ex players in practice and that Putzier was saying that behind the scenes more players are upset in the direction of the team

Do you think that might have had something to do with him getting cut?
<!-- / message -->
<!-- / message -->

PaintballCLE
09-01-2009, 08:24 PM
Wow,,, I thought colquitt was amazing. Kern is nothing spectacular. Who cares I guess,,, a punter is a punter.

go to hell............or even better yet go to oakland!

KERN RULES!

Jekyll15Hyde
09-01-2009, 08:49 PM

The game footage vs Chicago says otherwise. I am quite surprised he is gone

footstepsfrom#27
09-01-2009, 09:31 PM
So Putz is gone...I guess that means my dark horse pick Marquez Branson still has a shot. To bad about Schleuter...I hope he makes the PS.

IA-Broncosfan53
09-01-2009, 10:07 PM
CJ Jones did come from Mcd's era in New England, just saying...

Sounds like its about time for me to start listening to 104.3 streaming online more often.

broncogary
09-01-2009, 10:16 PM
and Jack Williams still trades on one play from preseason last year and he got a nickname for it, why can't Colquitt trade on one good punt too?

Hey, he got his nickname long before that preseason game. :strong:

Bronco Yoda
09-02-2009, 11:45 AM
poor Putz.... wonder when the next time we'll see him again.

Tombstone RJ
09-02-2009, 03:03 PM
poor Putz.... wonder when the next time we'll see him again.

He's headed up to Idaho to hang with the Plum. Actually, I wonder if Shanny will pick him up... nah, Shanny already cut him once. Then Kubiak cut him. Now McD has cut him... yah, he's better up in Idaho...